[FM 23] "Gegen pressing my way around the World": A Journeyman's story (Is the "Out of the Box" Gegen press OP?)

Hootieleece

Hello everyone. After reading all the different career updates and commenting on my favorites. I have decided to delve back into my own Career Update!

This will different than my other saves that I have written about in that it is a journeyman story.

The goal of the save is to reach the highest level of Football Management at one of Three Clubs: Liverpool, AS St. Etienne, or Hertha. If I get chance to manage my local team the New England Revolution. I will as well.

The save starts today in game: January 11, 2023.  I vacationed until that date and some funny things happened on the way to today!

The Manager is based on if I quit my job as a teacher and started applying for Football management jobs today.

The Manager is name GPS Coach.  GPS stands for Gengenpress Soccer Coach.  He is a 51-year-old American fan of the game with no badges and starts unemployed.

I will be using the 3 formations suggested and the out of the box gengenpress tactics to try and become a legend!

4-2-3-1 Wide, 4-3-3 DM Wide, and 4-2-4.

This is also an experiment if the Gegen press tactics as provided (suggested) by SI are OVERPOWERED.

I am adding this after my second season.....

In the next post (later tonight) I will put up screenshots and show my initial setup and job search.

Wish me luck!

Edited by Hootieleece
added words I forgot then changed the title

The Journey Begins:

Game Setup

HD6yKd.jpg

PPxErX.jpg

This many leagues and level of detail is to create as "realistic" as possible game world. The database and level of detail will strain my laptop a bit but I should be able to manage to play the save until FM24!

The leagues were chosen as ones (at the bottom) might pick a middle aged American with no CV as manager.

The Manager

aJGPFJ.jpg

WIbjph.jpg

LHxDd1.jpg

This is my avatar in the game world it is based on me. No Badges and No playing experience. In this world I quit my job and started applying for Football Management jobs to start my career!

Recent History in the Game World

World Cup

The World Cup had a surprise winner.....

FUhP3I.jpg

It came home! and Lionel Messi went home empty handed.

FNzzm9.jpg

The Current FIFA World Rankings.

Current League Tables

g2afU6.jpg

The Job Market

b7CLAx.jpg

After perusing the list, I applied to the following teams:

dUn1Dw.jpg

5g4WWy.jpg

7hp825.jpg

I did not get any interviews from these teams, so the search continued.....

ZGmsLS.jpg

Oh, how the "Mighty" have fallen....

The search continued as teams started firing their managers.

tdWIe0.jpg

The former French National Manager ended up at...

ahpLBw.jpg

I continued to expand my search to France.....

lcn8AW.jpg

I speak Basic French.

roZ8of.jpg

Frank Lampard didn't last long at Everton....

UhXHVq.jpg

an Interview!

s2z6zE.jpg

deflation....time to send out more applications....

64jo4H.jpg

my assistant thinks I could do well with these teams....

W24GP5.jpg

I will apply to Dulwich Hamlet, but PSNI is just too small.

S6Xx6S.jpg

HLEz0w.jpg

c7yRDd.jpg

and I applied to Welling United as well.

In a few days some interviews were set up!

4PzEVQ.jpg

F4N8MI.jpg

I eagerly went to both, but I am hoping for Welling.....

Both came back with offers.....

K2n4i2.jpg

bcI3gR.jpg

and I chose:

9pXasK.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

Edited by Hootieleece
added images , and wrote words

First Job

It looks like GPS Coach is moving to SE London.

5d17IB.gif

Welling is in Bexley Borough of Southeast Greater London. The most famous person from there is Songstress Kate Bush.

All of Kate Bush's studio albums are being remastered for the first time

The Job and Team:

yWfCh3.jpg

ywSImO.jpg

cesXbf.jpg

The Stadium: Park View Road

Owcst0.jpg

Overview

fb9iSI.jpg

Club Vision

bvxGQd.jpg

Qw5G8F.jpg

These are definitely achievable objectives if the team plays near potential and maybe even Playoffs this season. It all depends on how they adapt to the Gengenpress!

Supporters and their Expectations

5wJpPM.jpg

rhrh3j.jpg

This is tougher but achievable with this underachieving team....currently 11th.

As you can see I will have to keep the supporters happy due to their influence on the board.

General Overview

Pbk7tv.jpg

Financials

cLHidS.jpg

Depending on year end investment and ticket sales it looks like I will have to cut some payroll and to keep the team in the black.

Currently the team is working with in the payroll allotted. So I don't have to worry about it until end of season.

Coaching Staff

TR4Eoj.jpg

Looks decent but the board wants cuts.....I will evaluate at the end of season.

Player/Assman

l9HBFf.jpg

not bad for this level and plays backup CM.

HYOD

DQSRVE.jpg

He works well with youngsters and has a preferred formation.

Coach

Wpwwpd.jpg

not great but he has a good formation and fits the tactical vision. will probably keep.

ZcJHhK.jpg

better stats but doesn't fit the vision....

6aXn7k.jpg

Good personality but doesn't really fit the vision. Will look for a replacement.

u7dlnL.jpg

Good personality but doesn't really fit the vision also a terrible coach. I will try to replace.

Team Analysis

6HA6WX.jpg

bJJKHv.jpg

Squad Dynamics

ywJbsW.jpg

The team is in a good place but I am going to do some work to win them over and it starts with winning!

My Assistant is the Team leader I hope to create a good working relationship with him.

Tactical Ideas

GPS Coach will Gengenpress using the following three formations.

4-2-3-1 Wide

q8mMx6.jpg

This is the formation I will use first since the prior manager used it since I have to hit the ground running

4-3-3 DM Wide

b7rWFA.jpg

This is the formation I want to use most as I try and replicate Liverpool.

4-2-4

90U0HW.jpg

This formation seems to be the one of choice this year and is suggested for Gengenpressing by the tactic's designer. I will experiment with it as I get more established.

Thanks for Reading!

Next installment we start playing matches!

Edited by Hootieleece
fixed some images of tactics

5 hours ago, Pasta n Sauce said:

Hey mate I think the tactics are all the same. Good luck with this!

They are the same.....Gengenpress with different formations, which is the plan.  Also, it is the standard Gengenpress offered by the tactic's designer by SI.

A subplot is to prove how overpowered Gegenpressing is.......

Thanks for reading and I hope you find it enjoyable.

PS I saw/realized the problem you referred to and fixed it. I should post the first games tomorrow.

Edited by Hootieleece
added words I forgot

1 hour ago, Carambau said:

Nice to see a new save from you :) 

Strange thing: Most of the images don´t display for me...? Only the Kate Bush image shows. Might be only my personal PC preferences but I thought I should mention it ;) 

Sorry to hear the images aren't showing. I have had problems with that in the past on this forum. I will try to be posting images differently in today's update. Let me know if you can see them. Since they pretty much tell the story for me.

I am happy to be back......

I know that the other poster (other than me) can see them because he alerted me to a problem i missed.

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

February/March 2023

Manager's Thoughts

I started my first job in a bit of a "goldilocks" situation an underachieving playoff team that needed a new manager bounce to reach the playoff places. The team was in 11th place when I took over February 19th and had already turned the corner winning their last two matches after 4 match losing streak that led to the sacking. Since the players were used to 4-2-3-1 Wide system, I decided to use that variant of the Gengenpress. "Heavy Metal Football" had come to London. The team adapted well and after some experimentation with the lineup with the help of my Assman and some tweaks over the next few matches I came up with a starting XI.

The team adapted to the new level of pressing well even though they are semi-pro. Leading to a 10-match winning streak that will be tested as we start playing playoff teams and the League Leaders in April.

The team will need a major overhaul for next season due to payroll issues. The Board wants me to sign under 23 players and I have decided that no player can make more than me. I have several players including our leading scorer who make more than $32k/year on the team.

Highlights

sELuNX.jpg

In my introductory press conference, I started my charm offensive on the press and the supporters.

XIWoR7.jpg

The supporters and table after my first match in charge a 3-0 victory that moved us 3 places to 8th!

u2M1u1.jpg

The two biggest talking points were Elito's missed penalty and how we ruined a former players day.

kvTKuA.jpg

I don't think he is a fan.....

The next match was against Chippenham town and was another good performance if a little nervy....

7qoYmz.jpg

We went out to a two goal lead and were pegged back immediately after halftime. We finished the job late on securing the 3 points!

hWT4Ki.jpg

Azeez our highest paid player ($51k/year) and leading goal scorer had a Hat-trick and now we moved up to the Playoff Places.

Ie7GSI.jpg

The newsies are taling about our promotion challenge.....this was a preseason pick for 4rth place! Only living up to expectations!

February Overview

Team

4R7bdW.jpg

The team has played a pretty regular lineup most of the season most of those players still feature for me. The biggest problem is our on loan Striker Hulbert broke his toe and is out for two months. Azeez is a suitable replacement so far....

Player of the Month

a2lxBW.jpg

Azeez stepped up after I changed his position from winger to his more natural Striker. Due to Hulbert's injury.

League Table

CS8sIY.jpg

In the playoff hunt with two victories can I keep the team playing at a High level?

March Highlights

The month started with a trip to Hungerford....

LMg8el.jpg

The media and bookies thought we were good bets to win on the road!

MJwuk7.jpg

And our dominance showed with a great performance from our Right Back!

gdDLR1.jpg

The analysts thought we were lucky since xG showed the match was closer than the scoreline.

4LwYDi.jpg

The passing map against Hungerford showed good build up from the back.

The next match was on the road against another lower table team.....

6liwpX.jpg

KENNXx.jpg

ABveGH.jpg

We one once again and the team is showing it can win the matches it is supposed to which is a good sign.

c2gpBU.jpg

There are still about 10 games to go in the season, and we have to play playoff teams in April to finish the season!

The next match was to be at Park View Stadium versus the Concord Rangers

AEWhcY.jpg

We were facing a team in the Relegation battle and expected a tough match.

GO7eOG.jpg

SdiDz4.jpg

dLY3ng.jpg

It was a tough battle, but a late winner secured the three points and had us moving up the table and dreaming!

7ycFdr.jpg

Setting records, I must be doing something right......

A26tVp.jpg

The passing map wasn't as neat, but it was another win for the team.

In other news I decided I need to find a backup Left Back for our Promotion Hunt.....

WRc6Zy.jpg

BJzzAk.jpg

He will be the backup.

I also signed this guy more for next year and to train as BPD-D

2H5ruz.jpg

He is a Left Back but I see him more as a CB due to lack of Crossing abilty.

We even have players playing internationally

l4NSYB.jpg

funny thing is they are backups for us.

We then had our first atch against a Playoff Contender....Weymouth

227KyE.jpg

XwjtmY.jpg

Azeez's two goals salvaged a point!

The next match on the run was against Relegation Battle Bath City.....

5BWqdN.jpg

Only true afficionados would enjoy this game in which all the goals were scored by Set-Pieces.....Two Corners for us and Two Freekicks for them!

inQ7TC.jpg

but the unbeaten run continues!

JJA3kg.jpg

Analysis of our recent matches shows we are playing well!

The next match was against the 2nd place team in the table......

6lyuiN.jpg

The fans came out in force

image.jpeg.116817f62bbd602ffa53a6e9c3deb6e5.jpeg

P7ucaz.jpg

It was the Azeez show once again.....11 unbeaten!

T9zyzD.jpg

League Table

zwWFkA.jpg

Analysis Report

Zvcyay.jpg

Player of the Month

OCx7wd.jpg

and on a final note.....

x0BXA1.jpg

Thank You for Reading!

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

April 2023: Regular Season

Manager's Thoughts

As April started the team continued its unbeaten streak, but reasons for the new manager's "bounce" ending were beginning to show. The fact that the team was terrible at finishing and almost completely dependent on the striker for goals was one of the signs and the lack of depth throughout the team as a whole as injuries piled up.  The board was expecting wins but also wanted to cut budgets. So, the team was going to need a major overhaul get younger and cheaper and provide similar results. The team was going to make the playoffs, but any chance of promotion was becoming less likely by the match as we dropped points while playing better teams.

Highlights

F4x4ws.jpg

As you can see the team is in the red mostly because we have limited attendance. To fix this I will have to get rid of most of the older High wage players and replace them with younger ones. Even the players I keep will need to take a pay cut.

ywK9rb.jpg

We are in 3rd place and have an outside shot at the title......but it would mean winning all of the next five and getting some help.

AN7me7.jpg

The New manager "bounce" began before I started, but I am responsible for 9 of 11 during the unbeaten streak.

I have finally begun to figure out the Starting XI and now know I have a pretty good team.

jGdMdW.jpg

The best player is out for the rest of the season....and the on loan GK will not be allowed to return next season.....

The Board is happy with our winning streak and the fact it got us to the playoffs.

vD8zHL.jpg

uDrOmh.jpg

Our next match was against a competitive rival Dover Athletic

1Cr1tR.jpg

We were favored and they seemed to be in a slump.....perfect "Trap Match" I along with the rest of the team were looking ahead to our match against Eastbourne to see if we could mount a true title challenge!

Never bet against home underdogs is a truism I believe!

iE1VrE.jpg

I had been a bit blasé about the match in my press conference.....it would come back to bite me in the A**!

SaWzJz.jpg

We got the win, but it was much more difficult than it should have been....

TEHVCP.jpg

I had to laugh! 

deLcIA.jpg

Twelve on the trot!

xDOHUH.jpg

one of the few times XG pretty much matched the scoreline in my experience.

NwaBgn.jpg

The number of passes was no where near the 500 I consider to be the "Magic Number" but we are also more direct.

JD9Qoz.jpg

We were now facing another playoff team....a big test.

npZyVP.jpg

In my press conference trying to convey taking them seriously and that they would prove a stern test....the media made me out to fear losing!

pfclSS.jpg

and it was....both teams scored early and spent the rest of the game fouling each other and forgetting about scoring!

After that terrible game our poor Youth Intake came in.....

2vVLlh.jpg

Duncan Evans is the only player I would sign but since the U-18's and U-21's need warm bodies the I directed the HYOD to sign everyone! Evans was soon moved to the first team for training and occasional game time with the injury crisis.

I know that I didn't show those screen shots but at one point we had all of our attackers out injured and was down to only four defenders as well.

OJ2LoY.jpg

Saint Albans was another playoff team....beware home underdogs!

VUgu2x.jpg

I like to stick to a plan! Gengenpress "Heavy Metal" Football!

vpbZcL.jpg

Our lack of attackers and with a lot of players out of position led to this dull draw.....but I will take it!

bUpip2.jpg

KNfFyF.jpg

We got close to my "Magic Number", but it was mostly passing outside of "Parked Bus"

uRuYsS.jpg

The team assured themselves a playoff spot with that draw. Making for a decent turnaround headed by a manager with no rep or badges!

EuEBxV.jpg

rVXHBi.jpg

The Board and supporters are happy that we ticked another objective off the club vision list!

nWOcS9.jpg

The board was so happy they got rid of our negative balance.....for a day!

9qdZSp.jpg

The Penultimate match of the regular season....could we pull off a miracle at Park View Stadium?

We were the "Home Underdogs"!

r8xMWn.jpg

for 53 minutes we were the best team in the division......then Domonic Polean came on the field for them and put on a masterclass that ended our hopes and dreams. They won the League in our ground!

1AOjRz.jpg

IuoZv7.jpg

Of real interest in this screen shot is the Spanish and Italian Leagues Athletico Madrid in the lead as well as Napoli comfortably in the lead.

vymDHz.jpg

Yes, I talked about the match because I was pissed off to have lost with such an epic fail in the second half!

Ebbsfleet's manager didn't rise to the bait!

The final game of the year was at another playoff team Havant & Waterlooville

BvNgzC.jpg

We were at full strength except for one striker....maybe we would refind our mojo!

EnA7NP.jpg

It wasn't meant to be....we were slumping at the wrong time!

Analysts Report

mpzaQu.jpg

zn8sF2.jpg

not bad data but it hides the fact that we were almost abysmal in front of goal.....It takes like 20 shots (total) for us to get TWO GOALS!

Thanks for Reading!

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

Early May 2023: The Playoffs

Manager's Thoughts

The team entered the playoffs in a bit of a slump. I hoped that sometime with the physios and a night out would help us get on track for a promotion bid. Unfortunately, our lackluster play continued. We won the first match at home but couldn't win the Semi-Final at Oxford. We looked in that match like the boys had already hit the Golf Links! I will spend sometime during the off season adding more under 23 players (like the board wants) and getting rid of deadwood. Something I need to fix is our terrible shooting.

Highlights' 

RmdMif.jpg

We hosted the first round playoff match at Parkview Road!

pdRh0N.jpg

The bookies and media made us favorites to win.....but we would be without our #10 (AMC) Hyde.

The fans were out in force for the Big Match!

image.jpeg.fa43dfc0e5f9310a9e9bf0f56c24c669.jpeg

We hoped to put on a show in our last home match of the season.

T76pQ6.jpg

The match was a bit of a bore, but we scraped out the win!

vn5Ajl.jpg

IBNMnz.jpg

We played well keeping possesion, but Eastbourne decided to play Rugby!

Hr0AP1.jpg

With the win we are headed to Oxford!

Vcq8u4.jpg

We owed everything to this player's wonder goal!

FpuABC.jpg

And I told the press just that!

xIlXhQ.jpg

Mz52qZ.jpg

XG shows how ineffective we are in front of goal. We got to my magic number of passes mostly because we played keep away.

tr5pCT.jpg

Anticipation is building for the next match.....should be a big crowd at least a 1000!

4gtQy9.jpg

The bookies thought we had a chance.....I wasn't so sure.

aO5uy4.jpg

We played well in the beginning but ran out of gas in the end and allowed a winner in extra-time to a team reduce to ten men! After Halftime my players went on vacation already....must have had tee-times in the morning.

kHoKzr.jpg

and the match was a sellout!

zWPU2r.jpg

There was a bit of a war of words after the match drummed up by the press....

bmFiu0.jpg

Gd9zB6.jpg

I just answered with the truth.....we didn't show up for this match.

tx9EdH.jpg

kKXWzL.jpg

J9PGq2.jpg

Analysis shows just how poor we were....

Thanks for Reading!

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

Season Review 2022-2023

Manager's Thoughts

I must say that the start to my Football Manager Career has exceeded my expectations. Yes, I was lucky in getting the job with an under achieving playoff quality team. I will need to repeat this run except over a whole 46 games. That will be a different challenge as we have to cut wages and find younger talent that is willing to work for low wages. I will not be using non-contract players because I need the players on the training pitch as much as possible and not just show up on match days. I didn't show the screenshots, but I did get most of the team to sign backup for next season at lower wages. We will have to replace 4 older players and regulars and the three loan players as their parent clubs want them to now play at a higher level. The player we will most miss will be in goal as the young Watford player was often the difference maker in the games the boys played bad defense.

Highlights

E3beVH.jpg

Spi0vD.jpg

PCp9Fw.jpg

As you can see almost the whole team were new arrivals. I am going to keep most around to start to build club culture since they now know what to expect from me.

Ade Azeez the highest paid player at the club ($51k/year) took a pay cut to lead the line next season to $38k/year. He is now the only person on staff that makes more than me. ($32k/year)

z34d8Y.jpg

A less than impressive FA Cup appearance. I will try to make the Tournament Proper this upcoming season.

LE6oUN.jpg

The FA Trophy wasn't much better than the Cup again I will try to improve on last season's result.

Bh0P5M.jpg

Azeez and Aransibia became the stars of the team after I took over and the match against Chippenham (2/25/23) showcased their skills.

ihv519.jpg

The Finances only look good because there is nothing to compare them to. We spent $532k on wages last season.

nb1Q3u.jpg

This is how the team would have linedup if Payne hadn't broken his hip......but Azeez is the obvious player of the year especially after he took over at the top of the formation.

Player Awards 2023

2OnFdW.jpg

xOmg8B.jpg

This is what the local media wrote about the team's season.

Supporters 

mrkHHL.jpg

We increased the core supporters looking at the numbers we have about 125 core supporters we need to grow that number if this team is to become a success.

Analyst Report

Y22ExL.jpg

QJVznG.jpg

These numbers look good but cover up the fact that we had to take a lot of shots to score goals after I took over......In fact, I am beginning to think that the boys think I am a recruiting/scouting for Placekickers for NFL Teams!

My Personal Timeline

3r8fR6.jpg

Not much to see here.....YET!

Thanks for Reading!

7 hours ago, DavidBeckham said:

Good luck at Welling mate! Would be great to see you go all the way up with them as you progress your career :brock:

I will keep tabs on them, but since this is a journeyman and the goal is to try and get to the top level of Football management. I probably won't stay with them.

I intend to make a real promotion challenge with them during the second season.

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

Late May 2023: Early Offseason

Manager's Thoughts

The off season was finally here and it was time to begin transforming the squad for next season. I was hoping to change to a 4-3-3 Formation, but a lack of Young Inverted Forwards that wanted low salaries was limited. Also, I wanted to make more of Dead Ball Situations.  I was able to resign most of the team to except for 4 players to smaller contracts. The biggest shock came when the board would not allow me to go on a Coaching Course even though I had exceeded their expectations. At least only one player now makes more than I do! 

Highlights

The offseason started with a board meeting where they shared their vision for the future.

0d7gcy.jpg

Afterwards I had the last Team Meeting of the season and explained next season's objectives.

neAN8J.jpg

The impact was decent everyone should be on board with the changes that are coming and that we are aiming for the Playoffs next season!

With that I started signing the players I wanted to keep.....

mkTHWi.jpg

bGHMA6.jpg

This is the backup Left Back and also will be trained to cover at CB.

The next signing was my Assistant Manager......

03sbrH.jpg

TyuBBp.jpg

As you can see he is considered surplus to requirements, but he is a Guyanese International and serves as a backup CM. (Funniest thing is he named himself Surplus to Requirements)

2zpf5V.jpg

A6GfDz.jpg

Young Agho is being brought in as our new backup #9. Azeez is being kept a starter.

qTLerJ.jpg

Azeez who was our player of the year took a paycut and playing time reduction to stay with the team. ($51k/year, Important>$38k/year/Regular) I was happy to reach this agreement and it would provide some continuity since he seemed to thrive in our system. Also, He is the only player NOW to make more than me in compensation!

sCAr2x.jpg

The team is in the red, so this is no surprise.

xQYz2q.jpg

Even with our Playoff run, the team finished one pace lower than predicted in the table and the sponsors responded by slashing our funding!

rq3SHn.jpg

The Scouting budget is surprising for such a low-level club. I may try to find saving by cutting it some.

9THdsS.jpg

We lost to the eventually promoted side and notice Napoli leading Serie A.

DW67WH.jpg

No Surprise the best player on the best team won the award.

I went to the Board asking to work on my coaching badges....

N4HKta.jpg

This was their response! I will have to make decision at the end of next season! I'm not sure I want to stay with a team that won't help me with Professional Development.

We also signed a good young CM to be a stalwart in the middle of the Pitch.

I3Oo5Z.jpg

He is well adapted to breaking up opposition attacks.

faRR30.jpg

FLbWcw.jpg

I found my Deadball Specialist! He is a little slow for playing wide and I will look to move him to AMC.

6KriF4.jpg

I re-signed Manny to be the New Captain of the Team.

8DcGuO.jpg

My Assman is more of a leader, but he is definitely a backup, and I don't want to blur the lines between player and management more.

lNSKsd.jpg

d0vJ9X.jpg

We re-signed Sam Cox's (Assman's) drinking buddy as the the GK. We will look for another since he makes a decent backup.  One thing he has going for him is that he spent time at LIVERPOOL! which I am loosely imitating.

bHGlro.jpg

The FA Trophy Winners. I am setting my sights on this trophy for next season if we can't make a real run at Promotion.

YUSnGs.jpg

The manager of the promoted side (not champs) is chosen. I think I voted for Horgan.

uYYtUs.jpg

I signed this young man from the youth team to fill out numbers on a cheap contract.

fm2oyd.jpg

The following players were not asked back as part of my "Youth" Movement.

Payne had missed most of my tenure as coach with a hip injury and wanted too much money and Azeez definitely filled the need for a #9.

1oE1US.jpg

Is this predicting the future of Everton?

YLt8Hd.jpg

League Table

PHFsrq.jpg

Financial Report

IE5CUS.jpg

Still losing money even after I trimmed the budget. I think I will cut scouting back a bit. I also need to bring in a few more players if we are to make a playoff run next season.

Management Report

CDKuF5.jpg

noB8xF.jpg

Doing my job well enough that I will be allowed to coach next season!

Group Dynamics

o0sSs6.jpg

Our success during the season and not resigning my critics is creating a team that is willing to overlook my lack of coaching badges and experience a true "Ted Lasso" Story!

Thanks for Reading!

PS. I didn't forget about this thread. Life got in the way....and I played FM when I wasn't busy, but I will be catching up with where I am in game over the next few days.

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

June 2023: Off Season

Manager's Thoughts

As the off season wore on I considered how to go forward with the team. This included trying to reduce and improve the Coaching Staff and What formation I would use during the coming Season. Since I had so far been unable to find enough Attacking Wingers and had many CM Candidates I decided to try to mould the team into a 4-3-3 instead of a 4-2-3-1 Wide.

Highlights

JO0Lb0.jpg

VYzoud.jpg

June started off with another resigning.....more depth the Backup Right Back who can play on the Left in a pinch.

a3lBZM.jpg

KtRxs8.jpg

I chased after several Goalkeepers during the offseason looking to replace our First Choice GK, but no one wanted to come to Welling for the wages we were willing to pay. So I loaned this GK as my Cup Goalkeeper. I will still see if I can bring in a GK since this one is so poor.

Hqhjnr.jpg

The FA Cup came to the end and this is another competition I would like to have a good run in preferably getting to the First Round if possible.

I started the rebuild of the coaching Staff.....by sacking 4 coaches!

HEDuoc.jpg

vuzU3C.jpg

AuUiXV.jpg

xl4uoA.jpg

Most were let go because they didn't favor the 4-3-3 or Gengenpressing.

fmEYS4.jpg

kOOIdb.jpg

WKrRp0.jpg

Decent All-Around coach for this level and works with the former formation and is Gengenpress Fanatic like myself!

ew3Udl.jpg

This was our second choice Goalkeeping Coach because the first was Guyanese and couldn't get Work Permit. (He had been recommended in the Staff Meeting)

dFy4sO.jpg

He understands both primary formations and is actually an upgrade over the former GK Coach!

We then found out the New teams and our Schedule.

j053M5.jpg

aLlUo1.jpg

The media and bookies rate us high even though we aren't finished with our recruiting! Only lost 3 places in the first Preview.

WyNBxv.jpg

I decided that Match Fitness was more important than Physical training at this level with our restricted training schedule. I wanted to start the Season flying if possible. I also decided to playing bigger teams would do more than winning laughers against Pub sides.

KMrMgU.jpg

am happy to announce we have a U-18 team that isn't just the local high-school team.

R3S2P1.jpg

GDzdf8.jpg

Another very good new to coaching candidate. I am hoping to make him Assman next season. He had spent some time in America.

AHovIC.jpg

The following Big Name players were released by the bigger clubs.

SYdyhv.jpg

The bean-counters wanted remind me that the coaching Staff and players are only here through this season.....like I didn't know already!

Financial Report

DTqgm3.jpg

My financial acumen has helped but the team is still losing money. 

Management Report

rKqmpI.jpg

xHHb7V.jpg

Still doing ok the fans are mad some of their favorite players are gone so I will need a fast start to win them over. I am pleased that they like the Gengenpress.

Team Dynamics

ygVh6a.jpg

Since I removed some of my critics and elevated Manny Parry to Captain support for my leadership has gone up a bit.

Thanks for Reading!

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

July 2023: Preseason

Manager's Thoughts

I think that I ad done a pretty good job of keeping the team together and adding to it for another Playoff Run. As we started the pre-season, I continued to look for players to add to the team. Especially Attacking Midfielders and a Goalie. This was because I wasn't completely happy with our GK Situation. As the Month went on and added a few more players I scrapped the switch to a 4-3-3 formation and retained the 4-2-3-1 DM Wide that worked so well. The reason is tactical fluency of the retained players and how we played during the pre-season. The Idea of playing twice a week and playing better opposition did help us tactically in retrospect.  The players brought in helped our depth and I must say I think we are ready for a good season.

Schedule

tHQ476.jpg

Highlights

The month began with us playing preseason friendlies and still signing players.

7MRdlK.jpg

He isn't the best, but he will provide cover out wide.

LkwxES.jpg

another CM because I can never have enough and at this point, I was still considering the 4-3-3.

gb1JWQ.jpg

playing bigger opposition has its problems....but we played well after I switched to the 4-2-3-1 DM Wide and we were playing against the backups scoring 3 in 20 minutes!

RVWJrt.jpg

The Cambridge match showed a definite need for at least on CB and this player fit the bill!

y5SRtI.jpg

Big, Strong, Fast (For this level) the only drawback is lack of technicals.

MoYD8w.jpg

This signing added to a logjam up front as starters, but that was the only way to get this signing done.

PCLS5L.jpg

This signing also cemented the switch back to the 4-2-3-1 DM Wide. With White playing on the Left and Hughes moving to AMC.

74wkuP.jpg

This Friendly was against a team of similar stature and the Backups got most of the playing time but a victory is always nice.

Our next match was against Charlton now managed by Ole Gunnar Skoskaer!

M6oUiv.jpg

They are about 4 levels above us but we played better on the day even if the scoreline didn't show it. (It was bad Goalkeeping for us)

fNjwEb.jpg

Z088SA.jpg

The analytics show we were the better side....especially since the Starters got most of the playing time. If we play like this in VNL South I think we will do well.

Since we had a less than stellar performance in goal from our presumptive First Choice GK......

I6tZnB.jpg

He was brought in to provide more competition. 

KM6YBg.jpg

During the next match our "Dead Ball Specialist" went down for the rest of the Preseason!

The Cheltenham match was another that went against the analytics.....

4PBnNP.jpg

afterwards we signed another player for depth purposes....

CriQ96.jpg

Yes, it is another CM, but that seems to be all my scouts find!

As Preseason went on and the starters and formation got settled, we started putting in good performances.

4OoSo1.jpg

Azeez is picking up where he left off leading the Line!

wijMMM.jpg

Season Preview

zE0Dpb.jpg

GUBIoA.jpg

Our Transfers and Signings have the bookies and Media believing we are the best team in the league that wasn't relegated from the VNL! We moved up from 7th to 3rd!

K1UgI7.jpg

and no one on our team expected to lead the league in Goal scoring! Hmmm?

Transfers

S9ZH6p.jpg

We brought in these 6 players during the Preseason. I think we are in good shape to make the Playoffs.

Josh Green

Sol Alidor-Hamilton

Deon Woodman

Lewis White

Alfie Burnett

Rio Shipton

Financial Report

GzsZZC.jpg

Management Report

ZMheJT.jpg

D92Owc.jpg

In a good position to start the season but we will need to get off to a good start to keep our job.

Thanks for Reading!

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

Preseason Analyst Report

DRhCsN.jpg

As you can see the team is now made up of many players that are U-23. The Leadership comes from the players in the Peak area including the Club Captain and the Assistant Manager. The Emerging players make up most of the Regular Starters.

L9HzYe.jpg

The team is decent  in passing, workrate, and leadership. It is a physically strong team (mostly CB and CM's) the only problem is we are not very teamwork oriented as I would like to be....

VphDWf.jpg

The GK decent for this level and should do a good job of keeping corners out of the net.

ZcFuJ1.jpg

an above average defense except we aren't the best at heading (CM's are weak in Area)

dQSkw2.jpg

Teamwork and Technique are missing when the outfield players are in Midfield, but I am happy that they are good at tackling and have decent stamina to implement the Gengenpress.

IFHH25.jpg

Its a good thing I expect most of my goals from my strikers because the rest of my outfield players are making for a terrible offensive production this year. I wasn't able to bring in better shooters overall. Like I said earlier I think some of the players think I'm scouting for Placekickers in the NFL!

falC3z.jpg

Physically the team is above average in all areas except natural fitness so we will have to watch playing minutes carefully and rotate a bit more than usual for this level, but I think we will be able to keep up the press over the 50 plus matches expected this season.

94Ztz2.jpg

Mentally we are weak offensively but are decent defensively this means we are going to have to overwhelm teams and play from the front foot if we are to win matches!

EiQbo4.jpg

Technically we have some holes but my plan to put my opponents under pressure for 90minutes and take lots of shots at goal is the way to go with this team.

Thank You for Reading!

13 hours ago, Jesney4 said:

Great start! Good luck for the season and your save! 

Thanks!

I have played about half the season already (through December) I am just slow updating. I have a Snow Day off from school so I might be able to catch up if I don't play.

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

August 2023: Regular Season

Manager's Thoughts

After a decent preseason and our first offseason where we learned on the job. The team was ready to start the season. Unfortunately, we lost Ade Azeez, our #9, in the last preseason game. Young Agho stepped up superbly and the team didn't miss a beat with him leading the line.

The team really was ready to play the gengenpress and even if we were susceptible to balls over the top, we were scoring lots of goals. Our unbeaten run led us to 2nd place in the table to St. Albans who was yet to lose this season.

Schedule

epj9yO.jpg

Highlights

The team started the month out with one last friendly which we won easily, but we ended up losing Azeez for 5-6 weeks.

FaDe3s.jpg

RVCxh7.jpg

As one can see we are already having problems keeping our starters fit and the season hasn't even started!

The board brought me back into the office to remind me of the objectives for the season.

fLJv36.jpg

These are all easily acheived with this team I am almost sure we will make the playoffs and I plan long Cup runs, if possible, to stabilize the financial situation.

Our first match saw us travel to Chelmsford and put in a good shift!

NqHoiL.jpg

It was a back-and-forth game but we won with a late winner from Hughes!

oGN61u.jpg

The board annouced season ticket sales.

The next match would see us host worthing at Park View Road

oJ2Xe5.jpg

We were favored but would need to put in a professional performance.

LeXB0z.jpg

It was a great performance we played almost flawlessly leading to a 6-0 drubbing!

v2FCa6.jpg

It was Agho's coming out party to reveal his quality! with Aransibia setting him up!

WxEvg6.jpg

I am beginning to think that hughes is a "Glass Cannon"!

bEaTXQ.jpg

We had debutantes in the team. Rio Shipston and Sol Alidor-Hamilton

Sol alidor-Hamilton

Rio Shipston

FpYwHq.jpg

Aransibia our "Mo Salah" played a great game setting up his teammates!

yJ2j1T.jpg

The press was impressed and Aransibia was player of the day.

Xmuh3u.jpg

look at these stats about his perfect match!

M7Vzwc.jpg

REPEVU.jpg

The analysts were impressed with our performance as well.

We then traveled to the coast to visit Poole Town.

rWKTwF.jpg

Again, we are favored to win, but we will need to put in a "professional" job. As always, I am always worried about home underdogs.

LojA6c.jpg

gkmLj8.jpg

Poole town scoresd on one lucky over the top ball and we just couldn't buy a goal for all our attempts. This is the Achilles heel of this team shooting and converting chances. We need 10 shots on goal to convert one.

WdRm22.jpg

2qbHI4.jpg

AqJUJA.jpg

Cu9XCI.jpg

Analysis shows we were the better team and should have won.... whether it was bad refereeing, or our terrible shooting is for someone else to decide.

mkmjL1.jpg

We have most of our team back, but still missing Azeez.

We returned home to take on Weymouth and were favored to win.

pOSqKM.jpg

The match was an exciting one for the neutrals...

wqW2uF.jpg

We played much better after a halftime speech! and them going down to 10 men.

xiOt3v.jpg

6kNX0A.jpg

Mdxk5J.jpg

wLA4XL.jpg

Analysis shows that the scoreline was much closer than gameplay due to Weymouth's Dead Ball prowess.

The final match of the month would see the boys travel to Cheshunt for another match in which we were favored.

2OUHDP.jpg

Z1k6hi.jpg

It was a thrilling encounter with a late winner that make me think we have a chance at a title run this season.

gkmLj8.jpg

The fans were thrilled with our Victory!

B9cxpF.jpg

Aransibia continued his good play!

KvE2D4.jpg

The Media have taken notice of Aransibia's great play!

LLYrzF.jpg

Most exciting match in the VNS!

Ud5ZgR.jpg

yUGHd4.jpg

Analysis shows that we were lucky to get the win over a worthy opponent.

League Table

wqM5yG.jpg

Monthly Analysis

MBfmTa.jpg

UAIVL6.jpg

5zAc3N.jpg

The team is scoring goals galore and it is hiding the fact that we are shaky defensively. So I am going to keep up this front foot attacking philosophy since it works. The reason we are shaky is due to balls over the top of our press and the fact or CB aren't the paciest.

Monthly Awards

a4zBwC.jpg

wI5Yte.jpg

Bridesmaids!

Monthly Financial Report

viQzWX.jpg

Management Report

60p03T.jpg

jyeTHx.jpg

The fast start and winning has helped us on the job front long may it continue.

TLlsQn.jpg

The team is happy because we are winning and supporting me because of it as well!

Thanks for Reading!

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

September 2023: Regular Season

Manager's Thoughts

The team continued it good play throughout the month of September. Winning all of our matches but remaining in 2nd place as an undefeated team. St. Alban's another preseason playoff candidate has gotten off to an even faster start in that they have WON all of their matches in the VNS. The biggest shock has come to be Agho retaining the starting Striker position even though Azeez has returned from injury. He has earned it though banging 14 goals in 13 appearances. Azeez is used as a backup striker and practically anywhere on the pitch just to justify his salary.

The 4-2-3-1 DM Wide Gengenpress is working well putting opponents under pressure that often ends up with them turning the ball over and our midfielders using some ruthless passes to provide Agho with service leading to goals.

Schedule

iesD5j.jpg

Highlights

The beginning the month of October found the team hosting Wealdstone FC at Park View Stadium.

7U1G5H.jpg

This was a match against a potential playoff team and I expected a tough test.

odc1FG.jpg

tgYSXl.jpg

We dominated the proceedings and only let in a goal after I had sent the subs on at the 63 minute mark.

VfzADW.jpg

St. Albans won yet again they are setting the pace and we are losing ground even though we are undefeated in the race for the title.

6BBtRD.jpg

I made sure the press knew I was happy with our play in the match.

We then headed to Enfield Town for a highly anticipated match against the newly promoted team.

ywr2qA.jpg

0HA9e8.jpg

We started slowly but kicked it into gear after halftime. Scoring 3 and having two waved off to settle the issue in another dominant win.

EWZZHk.jpg

Agho scored twice and had two waved off.! He is definitely comfortable leading the line.

XrVy9s.jpg

I praised his performance.

s8FhEF.jpg

and so did a team favorite!

nuwlnm.jpg

VBRfeW.jpg

Analysis shows how dominant we were during the second half of the match.

OlCIBP.jpg

Three players are in the team of the Week including Agho!

We then returned home to play against the Tonbridge Angels....

image.jpeg.8036cf509cf57f6ef91b1296406e5aae.jpeg

the fans were beginning to believe....

pmOWzu.jpg

gQcfCh.jpg

We scored early and held on.....it was actually a poor match.

bSiAPL.jpg

The difference at the top is a draw between 1rst and 2ndplace and 2nd and 3rd place teams!

nToD60.jpg

another favorite hailed the play of Aransibia who scored the match winner!

fsYXjT.jpg

dB5bef.jpg

Analysis shows we kept possesion and provided more and better chances, but their offside trap caused us problems.

i5DigD.jpg

The Board thinking of taking advantage of our good play decides on a fan day to encourage more support for the team!

image.jpeg.d97851ef3461ac821a17ff529810d665.jpeg

The team analyst decided to show me how we were doing.....

eDZSXF.jpg

It is always nice to see that the analytics matches what I am seeing on the field!

The FA Cup Run would start against Beaconsfield.

oBcClF.jpg

First, we had the match against Lewes to worry about and hopefully put on a show for the fans!

QUWkOz.jpg

We are favored and need to do a Professional job!

FvhYY6.jpg

We started off fast and scored 3 during the first half. We settled into defending our lead during the second half of the match and our shaky defense was pierced yet again by a ball over the top.

El4SJP.jpg

The victory saw over 1100 pack the stands of Park View Road!

1epxTq.jpg

5a5clA.jpg

jy1FRE.jpg

Analytics shows how we were fortunate enough to get bad goalkeeping from the Lewes GK!

The next match was the beginning of our FA Cup run.....

l84eWk.jpg

This was expected to be a laugher against a pub side, and I played all the backups to help rotate the squad.

tVdOo1.jpg

funny thing is I don't expect him to play.....

fhpp9N.jpg

We started off slow and I did indeed have to bring Agho off the bench so he could score a Hat-trick!

DeWrKe.jpg

fans were excited because of a victory over a pub team....

qJ3CPC.jpg

LEjFsk.jpg

The Assman/backup Midfielder was severely injured trying to make a tackle during the match......at least now he can focus on coaching!

Bs8lKN.jpg

Backup goalie did well but didn't really have a lot to do.....

DOMgWR.jpg

also our only decent player from the Youth intake last season got some game time!

For our trouble we were rewarded with another home match in the FA Cup!

2POt96.jpg

The final match of the month was against Hampton and Richmond

kbFInJ.jpg

We played well and dominated them winning 3-0! Resting the starters against Beaconsfield was worth it!

v0WsHc.jpg

hOyuM1.jpg

We had less position in this match and used more over the top balls to Aransibia who assisted on Agho's goals!

League Table

3SbTJ7.jpg

Monthly Analysis

8hZtgZ.jpg

LxGd39.jpg

We are scoring and have tightened up defensively, even if we give up more goals than I would like if we keep this up Playoffs here we come!

Monthly Awards

3SbTJ7.jpg

Player of the Month

Nelson Agho

AcqG0U.jpg

It is neck and neck between us, and St. Albans and it looks like a title race is also shaping up!

otbqFI.jpg

Financial Report

q1ckzZ.jpg

Management Report

rXwvJ3.jpg

Ackz2p.jpg

Board is happier than the Fans but both arehappy with how the season is going.

jhwQUD.jpg

The players are happy and our success has them backing me more and more!

Thanks for Reading!

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

October 2023: Regular Season

Manager's Thoughts

The team was flying and playing well. There were only three fixtures in the league this month with a possibility of up to two more in the FA Cup preliminary rounds.

The team was in fine form and as long as we kept scoring goals, I wouldn't mind the occasional ball over the top that beat our press. Especially since it seemed to be a winning formula! We are clearly at the beginning of a title race and our good form is only bettered by St. Albans that have won every match they have played so far.

Schedule

YmvObZ.jpg

Highlights

The month began with a cup tie we were hosting Truro City at the Park View Road!

yLTgVZ.jpg

We were comfortable favorites and I planned on having the Backups start and play most of the match to rest the starters for the upcoming Bath City match.

vm0gMx.jpg

The team started slow but found its groove in the second half and Ade Azeez showed why he was the highest paid player on the team! Now I just need to find a way to get him on the pitch. Agho is on a hot streak in front of goal, and I don't want to mess that up!

an8lFA.jpg

JKudZ5.jpg

We kept a good shape and connected on a lot of passes especially in the second half!

HM0PII.jpg

We were handed another home match for the FA Cup Preliminary Rounds!

After the excitement of the cup tie it was back to business in the VNS with a visit from Bath City currently 3rd in the table.

fVIK7x.jpg

The press tried to stir up controversy ahead of the big match

pPE5dD.jpg

He was only telling the truth!

uGUmBP.jpg

It was a back-and-forth affair between Bath City and Welling that came down to an injury time corner to snatch a point as we began to celebrate!

ve1GYw.jpg

Our play is garnering interest in parties wanting to takeover the team!

After the thriller against Bath City we were back at it taking on Gloucester in the FA Cup!

KO3Pn4.jpg

Tq1tRy.jpg

a fan favorite talked about Agho will only play a bit part if things go well.

Bi01NO.jpg

another dominant victory for the Backups since this was a cup tie.

Fa1r2M.jpg

sNPwq7.jpg

The prize money will help with our debt.

9xzj0R.jpg

bCSBDe.jpg

We were dominant and kept our attacking shape well.

As a prize for our victory we will host Rotherham in the First Round of the FA Cup proper!

4GBNmg.jpg

We then had to host Havant and Waterlooville next....

Kp3Gpp.jpg

We were playing with rested starters.....we should continue our unbeaten streak!

H9iAB5.jpg

biggest match of the night!

b0cOkJ.jpg

They caught us early while we were napping but all that did was rouse us to our best as we scored the next three to put this one to bed.

xwX2a7.jpg

Agho continues to put the ball in the net!

The analysts were impressed with our play....

Am2oci.jpg

TeCAXB.jpg

XG shows how dominant we were!

w41f85.jpg

more good passing and attacking shape!

Hemel Hempstead was the next victim on the list.....

6ob1Ia.jpg

We just destroyed them 4-1.....

iB4GPg.jpg

our right winger had a day!

GWJm44.jpg

This is HOW GOOD!

m5Q2Bo.jpg

Fans and Favorites are hailing the player!

Analysts were again impressed with our form.

eJEHcm.jpg

hMnpwC.jpg

look at that dominance!

d0NEuq.jpg

more good passing!

tWrL4E.jpg

more boardroom talk distracting from our performance!

gP8TbL.jpg

Players of the Week!

FBQsgc.jpg

No matter how well we play we keep losing ground to St. Albans!

League Table

71p0v7.jpg

Monthly Analysis

FSiSxZ.jpg

sonBh7.jpg

As you can see we are playing well......

C0X73t.jpg

this explains our shaky defending.....

pgZBcV.jpg

Agho leading the league with goals scored with 13 in 14 appearances!

V6QKYv.jpg

our attacking matrix is impressive!

Player of the Month

kkI5kD.jpg

Thomas Hughes

Financial Report

UhYk50.jpg

We aren't losing more money but we aren't making a dent in what we owe either.

Management Report

NWQRpV.jpg

nwGX18.jpg

rEep25.jpg

The management report shows we are on the right track to achieve the objectives of the club vision.

Thanks for Reading!

PS. I appreciate comments on how to make this better!

5 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Real title push now bud 

Yes, it is and we even have Cup runs....

I have played through February 2024....(because I am having so much fun!) but haven't been posting to keep up with my game play.

All I can say is we are making a real title push and our FA Cup adventure took us to one of the big stadiums in North Central London!

I hope to catch up this weekend.

(Our shaky defense is what makes it interesting.....we have been snatching victories from the jaws of defeat)  and the end of the season will see us play many of the playoff teams.

My goal is 92 points, that should be enough to get promoted.

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

November 2023: Regular Season

Manager's Thoughts

The month of November had incredible highs and a Soap Opera. The team played well winning Two of the three Big matches including a famous FA Cup Win over Rotherham United! The low was a loss against our rivals Dover United shortly after that was undeserved, but it was just one of those days!

Schedule

39SdzN.jpg

Highlights

The month began with the team heading to St. Albans for an important match against the other title contenders.

ziwayK.jpg

Both teams were overachieving, but St. Albans was a clear favorite. Could We cause an upset?

sIcTZ5.jpg

I congratulated my opposite number knowing that the award is often a curse on the next match!

The match was one of the greatest I ever played in FM! We went down to Ten men and outplayed them scoring twice and keeping a clean sheet!

LLkXtT.jpg

Kpex9W.jpg

We scored early and then had a man sent off. Defended well with Aransibia playing Left Back and got an insurance goal from a Hughes Freekick!

During the Press Conference my "favorite screen" came up:

Y2u6dU.jpg

Welling United is winning because they are playing "Coach-ball"! I refuse to believe that a manager in the VNS would get such accolades especially when copying 2015-2016 Jurgen Klopp!

kkurPn.jpg

I gave credit to our opponents and our team during the press conference.

7YVHJj.jpg

No War of Words here.....just respect for our opponents in the Title Race!

I2E2iX.jpg

xEidHO.jpg

RCx34F.jpg

Even though we were outnumbered for much of the match we did a great job of keeping possession of the ball and keeping St. Albans on the backfoot for most of the match. It was only near the end when the boys were gassed did, they really threaten our goal!

PWqFUv.jpg

Directors are retiring. Does that mean a takeover is imminent?

ucQfEV.jpg

After the big match the team returned to Parkview Road to host Eastbourne Borough and keep up the pressure on St. Albans.

fOpxTV.jpg

Possible Takeover is serious.

9UVxHB.jpg

ctKOp5.jpg

The offer wasn't big enough.

Back to Football!

a8fuzg.jpg

With a great game by Tyrique Hyde playing AMC more like a Shadowstriker than Hughes we won the match to go to the top of the league!

7DFDka.jpg

The press notices that we are on quite a roll!

kYmoF2.jpg

We are scoring 3 goals a match on Average!

nRSeop.jpg

The analysts were impressed with our performance...

8mNYCK.jpg

4L2AW6.jpg

more takeover drama....

And we host a memorable FA Cup tie at Park View Road!  Rotherham United is the visiting team!

P0OpLy.jpg

This is the first string we are going to give it our best!

more takeover drama....

CyXjey.jpg

wEw04a.jpg

eiFGH9.jpg

We are expected to lose......

2h5Iay.jpg

Yes this is a star player....

For better news the Analysis department provided this about our recent play.

DOoifF.jpg

the takeover is taking forever....

CyXjey.jpg

Back to hyping up the Cup Tie.

A3qJvb.jpg

but first more takeover news....

msSbqv.jpg

The starting XI for the FA Cup First Round vs. Rotherham United

9B0MpJ.jpg

This is our preferred starting XI with our best backups! We are going for it!

Lr2V83.jpg

A famous Victory!

eyy41j.jpg

kkaGDT.jpg

The hero of the day was Ade Azeez coming off the bench as a Super sub for Agho and scoring twice to win the match!

xEkV8I.jpg

helping the bank balance a bit and making the takeover less likely in my opinion.

UnbpNF.jpg

Yes, I gloated a bit!

HkkSKb.jpg

We were the talk of the FA Cup!

Ci2Y2k.jpg

The team went to Very Attacking Mentality at the 75th minute and was rewarded!

J72j4N.jpg

The takeover saga continues.....enough already was the sentiment of Coach and the Players!

The next match was against Chippenham Town would there be a "hangover"

lmtZsP.jpg

The FA Trophy is about to start as well....

xTX8pj.jpg

The team needs to make the 5th round  to be competitive!

cXuI6k.jpg

FINALLY!

3mRRL0.jpg

KwWy77.jpg

Once the game finally came ....

z76lXa.jpg

We played well but were matched by a good team....

ThBrco.jpg

We are also the story of the season....so far

nVbUKV.jpg

Analysis shows how close the match was!

WkVHj6.jpg

The next match saw us host our rivals Dover Athletic

ArzHTX.jpg

another Big Match!

hI8nqO.jpg

This is where the "hangover" kicked in we just couldn't buy a goal....

kqakaM.jpg

but in truth we were "FM'ed"

D21pzN.jpg

St. albans back on top...

B2wTkn.jpg

by two over the top balls!

and the Woodwork!

U9xY3M.jpg

In other news the team will host another FA Cup Match!

Y5NmyJ.jpg

We then traveled to Concord Rangers to see if we could get back on the winning track!

sSCbUc.jpg

We were favored and would need to do a professional job!

and we did winning 2-1!

kM880l.jpg

UUdiY2.jpg

It was a good performance kept possesion and controlled the game! We made the "magic number" of passes.

The Next match is the FA Trophy

pnrznL.jpg

I also started signing players to keep the core together....

SEFi59.jpg

rgqKeQ.jpg

mostly because he was whining, but he wanted security not money!

League Table

nFz2Wf.jpg

ceD4qs.jpg

Monthly Analysis

IOtgwF.jpg

GqmHV6.jpg

FMWxvN.jpg

We are scoring at an incredible rate, but out defense lets us down but that is mostly because they are too slow to truly play a high-line. Our GK isn't as good as last season either.

Monthly Awards

B7sSh9.jpg

bridesmaid yet again!

Management Report

rL0Xa1.jpg

RbA0pC.jpg

PjwIHz.jpg

We are in a good place the team is playing well the board and team support me. I hope that will mean a new contract and some coaching courses!

Financial Report

B5Sj7z.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

December 2023: Regular Season

Manager's Thoughts

The team played the month well considering we had 4 cup matches and only 3 league matches. The team went undefeated but did not gain any ground on St. Albans mostly due to draws with Southend and our Archrivals Dartford.  The team can score with anyone. Problem is when opposing teams stop trying to play through our press and go over the top. Another thing is I am beginning to think complacency is creeping into the team as well. I tried to rectify that somewhat with a change in formation. 

Schedule

OLuWm9.jpg

Highlights

We started the month traveling for the FA Trophy.....headed to Gray's Athletic.

pnrznL.jpg

We are favored to win and they employ a former player.

9Tvqzv.jpg

Palace Francis was replaced by Agho......who we didn't need on this day! I gave the VNS leading Goal Scorer the day off!

x99gps.jpg

The media and the bookies have low expectations for my team!

hJT5Nq.jpg

Show me that cup money!

GgXQ4B.jpg

We outplayed them especially after they were down to 10 men....

Our reward for winning in the Second Round was a home match with rivals Weymouth!

EJ1ik5.jpg

After that the grounds crew prepared Park View Road for a visit from Barrow.

1hZ3Vb.jpg

Barrow is in the relegation zone but 2 levels above us......I think we have a chance!

We didn't sign up for extra time by mistake since all this Cup travel is cutting into our limited training time.

I played a a strong team but it was rotated a bit.

A7C2a2.jpg

They scored just before halftime, and we scored soon after it.....afterwards both sides played like teams afraid to win.

B8VtZu.jpg

We put in a decent performance, and I was happy. I wanted to win it on this day, and it wasn't meant to be! Luckily, we had another chance even though it would be with the second string.

fTZxib.jpg

Southend were on a roll and were relegated from VNL and a strong team, but I thought I might be able to sneak a point even with the rematch with Barrow coming up.

AFslAV.jpg

So, it was as I predicted except, we should have won except for our terrible defense against balls over the top!

GwWzrZ.jpg

We went out to a big lead they scored just before half and that was the beginning of the defensive debacle. We even man-marked Harry Cardwell.....

1h8TT0.jpg

at least it was exciting for the fans!

pURrqx.jpg'

Analysis show they played much better after halftime!

I was really angry after the match and sent my Assman instead.....

6wIhNk.jpg

RCf72L.jpg

Looks like we will end up in another Transfer Saga!

rJU3Db.jpg

Looks like we may get one player from the Youth intake! Our Scouts will be looking for Young Free agents again next offseason!

The Trip to Barrow in Northwest England was a long one but worth it!

1SCKAK.jpg

yEwblR.jpg

Since we booked a much shorter Charter to Central London and New Hart Lane, Home of Tottenham!

DClJJR.jpg

bring on that sweet cup money!

j42wyj.jpg

NN3B6w.jpg

Our Second team except for Agho and Woodman pulled off the stunning victory and outplayed them to boot!

The next match was another Cup-Tie except this time it was Weymouth from the VNS!

CVUcnE.jpg

We were favored but I expected it to be close....

pgBUEl.jpg

We won but at a cost.....

gXzXg7.jpg

We would now miss our "Dead Ball Scecialist" for Two months as we chased St. Albans for the title!

IzhSvr.jpg

IyOtiE.jpg

M3hPWO.jpg

Our Captain led the team by example on this day! Defending superbly and scoring the Winner!

Lidsh9.jpg

ndxGEp.jpg

Analysis shows the match wasn't close until they started going over our press near the end!

The next match would be on Boxing Day against "Table Proppers" Gosborough Town in 24th place.

4ll8VC.jpg

In an effort to invigorate the players and battle complacency I decided to use a different tactic the 4-2-4 Gengenpress.

hVnF04.jpg

1GieHZ.jpg

We won but they did their best Sean Dyche "Burnley" imitation until we broke through late!

t9xnX0.jpg

I was filled with the Christmas Spirit and thanked the Ref for his gift!

Zm6Jim.jpg

Analysis shows we played well in the unfamiliar system!

qklAEa.jpg

Xg Shows when we broke through their defenses!

hnAfff.jpg

VNS Opponents Tonbridge are the next opponent in the FA Trophy!

The next match is against our Archrivals Dartford!

yyoPcM.jpg

0sk6YK.jpg

Press Hype!

O9J2Lr.jpg

Bringing back the Captain!

Kf1dZX.jpg

Match of the Week!

q9kwqh.jpg

The fans and the board want a win!

xHS3WE.jpg

We started out nervous and that was compounded by their Goal. GPS Coach brought out the "Hair Dryer" and the team played much better but couldn't secure the win!

3hcH9T.jpg

Still chasing St. Albans!

B3mGkS.jpg

PKmIX1.jpg

It was a terrible day of officiating Agho had four goals called offsides! but I didn't want to embarrass the ref because I was thinking about the title race!

yYcHkk.jpg

zmt30i.jpg

The core of the team has now been signed for next season!

WdjF0r.jpg

League Table

OUlpHy.jpg

Monthly Analysis

7YJAY5.jpg

Great attacking and Shaky Defense....that has been the story all season!

Management Report

xb3liZ.jpg

P4wB6F.jpg

bY4Jux.jpg

The board loves us because of all the money were bringing in with the cup runs. The Supporters are less happy mostly because our play has been less than stellar against our rivals Dartford and Dover!

Financial Report

pHVBYJ.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

January 2024: Regular Season

Manager's Thoughts

The match didn't end with the Holiday season. We were to play 8 matches in the month of January mostly due to our Cup Runs. We are playing well in the league even if our defense isn't the best. We are scoring almost 3 goals a match! The FA Cup run ended at New Hart Lane vs. Tottenham and Antonio Conte. It was a thrill just to be there. We had a hangover after that drubbing but it didn't lat long and we have started winning matches we shouldn't have in the league which is the hallmark of a true title challenge.

Schedule

inNECF.jpg

Highlights

WdjF0r.jpg

We started the month off hosting Chelmsford and were favored.

NA9QSv.jpg

The team played a tough hardnosed game and was rewarded with a win.

cyf9r6.jpg

Our play has been decent recently and our analyst sent me a report.

pxCFYj.jpg

and it was during one of our better defensive stretches.

After the new year and retaking the top spot, the Board decided I needed an extension.un9tVB.jpg

After the New Year and retaking the top spot the Board decided I needed an extension. I didn't negotiate a raise, but instead in another session insisted on attending a Coaching Course to get the National C Badge.

TE4YxZ.jpg

RePg1K.jpg

JTppmh.jpg

After getting my contract extension I decided to add a few more players to the "Core" of Next Season's Team.

RjrqXX.jpg

He is the Backup AMC and brings something different to the position playing more like a Shadow Striker than Hughes.

MXK8Fx.jpg

The Ball Winner in the Center of the park as well.

9sxlAT.jpg

Hired more for his coaching than playing ability.

7SGMiR.jpg

I was happy to get our leading scorer to re-sign! especially for such a small salary!

lw3JCP.jpg

and another decent CB providing depth!

mAKB5g.jpg

Another short money deal for depth!

After all the Contract stuff I was happy to start managing players again! The next match on the schedule was Worthing.

3gxHU6.jpg

We were on the road against an underdog.....need to be careful!

vdvi31.jpg

This was a real Jekyll and Hyde Performance! First Half on top of our game scoring 3 goals cruising to Victory. Second Half not so good.....defensive problems and we were lucky to escape with the 3 points!

Pdsd1Z.jpg

The Worthing Manager is actually a Welling United Favorite!

wQXX69.jpg

Match of the Week!

We then returned to Park View Road to host Farnborough

0K5zN3.jpg

Media hyped the match!

iJZHpP.jpg

Dzzame.jpg

We went down to ten men through injury and won the match on a last-minute header by the shortest player on the team.

fgNY14.jpg

The analysis of the match shows we were in control it just took us a while to break down their defense and going down to 10 men late put victory in doubt.

Our next match was a trip to Central London and New Hart Lane for the FA Cup Tie vs. Tottenham Hotspurs!

8Sndzk.jpg

I had no delusions about the outcome of the match. 

aCmJKx.jpg

I expect at least a big payday!

CeCGWB.jpg

Of course on the same sideline as Antonio Conte.....I just wanted to enjoy the spectacle and not get thrashed too badly.

OKGNz7.jpg

Of Course Kane is a threat!

D8oCED.jpg

A0CWBN.jpg

I was just being realistic and my players agreed.....

I ended up playing the second string so the Starter's wouldn't have their morale shattered.

8GZ4Ic.jpg

h8SzKO.jpg

No shame in our run we weren't going to beat Tottenham....maybe the U-18's

4puIAx.jpg

After the trip to Downtown London we came back to the familiar surroundings of Park View Road and a visit from Woking.

nUDIe8.jpg

We are favored but Woking is on a good run themselves.

MSfvvq.jpg

6vxfhG.jpg

We never got going and we relaxed after the early goal, and it was disastrous.

jbIXSd.jpg

wRiXDQ.jpg

I couldn't say anything else.....

1frqi6.jpg

It was our worst defensive performance of the season.

0AkXqM.jpg

It was another second half defensive debacle with over the top balls!

After a rest day with the physios and night of darts at the pub the team was ready to take on the Tonbridge Angels in the FA Trophy

g260wY.jpg

Nelson Agho repaid my faith in him, but the second half complacency is becoming a concern.

CJWdvK.jpg

But XG shows we should have scored more!

frtGVl.jpg

As a reward for our victory we get to travel to Notts County!

SQ7WQo.jpg

The next match was against Poole town as we looked to keep our grip on the top spot!

The congested physios room due to the match congestion was becoming a problem for the team....

7nP8VI.jpg

But things will get better in February as we start our final run in for the Title!

hPBq7B.jpg

Match was postponed due to the condition of the pitch.

After the much needed rest time the team welcomed Cheshunt to Welling.

PxassS.jpg

We need to do a professional job against the lower midtable teams on our own pitch!

4ejISh.jpg

It was an ugly game with worse officiating, but we came out with the win in the end!

VJgZOB.jpg

xG shows that we started slowly yet again and had to fight our way back into the match!

These are the type of victories which often portend titles! Will one come to Welling?

OCM2oV.jpg

After the thrilling comeback win against Cheshunt the team traveled to Weymouth to repeat the feat.

mV0FFp.jpg

This time it was Josh Green scoring with a header in Extra time!

UmznNK.jpg

z603aA.jpg

Match of the Week yet again!

AuuNz8.jpg

Josh green was a Super-Sub that won the match against Weymouth!

The analysts were as enthusiastic about our performance

8v76PQ.jpg

m6wwF6.jpg

ZBAQUT.jpg

League Table

yoKVVn.jpg

Monthly Analysis

V2OerD.jpg

bO9336.jpg

Offensively Great, defense isn't the best.

B3tNWn.jpg

We don't block or clear our box.....but then again we play a high line.

WHMy2A.jpg

We are by far the highest scoring team.

Player of the Month

Lewis White

d8fDCZ.jpg

Management Report

fyz8Ps.jpg

RsMYo7.jpg

The Board loves me the supporters are upset about our shaky defense I think.

5nBehh.jpg

The team is gelling well, and I think ready to make a real Title Challenge!

Thanks for Reading!

image.png.4379777985c1a1c29c09804351ab89d9.png

Heavy Metal Football!!!!! Dun dun dun da-da-dun dun dun!!!! [It's just a shame I couldn't get this to work as a gif(?).]

Enjoy the angle of proving gengenpressing as gamebreaking.  Welling United seems to be embracing the press!

16 hours ago, 13th Man said:

image.png.4379777985c1a1c29c09804351ab89d9.png

Heavy Metal Football!!!!! Dun dun dun da-da-dun dun dun!!!! [It's just a shame I couldn't get this to work as a gif(?).]

Enjoy the angle of proving gengenpressing as gamebreaking.  Welling United seems to be embracing the press!

That's the Idea! We are playing like 2015-2016 Liverpool and using the "Out of the Box Tactics". The only things (tactical) I ever change is to go Very Attacking near the end of each half (if necessary) or change to Work the ball in the box when Assman says so!

(At least for now since he has more badges than GPS Coach).

As for it being game breaking, I believe it is there is no way a bunch of Part-Time players in the VNS should be able to keep up with the physical requirements over 50 matches. (Even with a lot of rotation I have players that have appeared in 40 matches)

I did make liberal use of the physio training period and Team building period especially whenever I had two matches in a row.

I had seen it often in earlier FM's as well. I'm not trying to break the game engine per se, I am using their own suggestions to do it.

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

March 2024: Regular Season

Manager's Thoughts

The month of February came around and the team continued for the most part on its winning ways. The Gengenpress was working like a charm and even lead to some remarkable come from behind victories which started me believing (playing FM more and faster) in the Title Challenge. Yes, we had our terrible performances against Lewes and Notts County, but I was able to rid the team of complacency with a few suicide drills and Beers at the pub!  This is showing how OP the generic gegenpressing provided by SI is! This is a decent to good team for this level, but we shouldn't be scoring this much.....go back to the team analysis. Also, a part-time team shouldn't be able to keep up the intensity required.

Schedule

KPz6by.jpg

Highlights

The month started with the Board deciding that retirement was a good idea....

HXEUyC.jpg

The first match was against Poole Town.

QrEdBH.jpg

The match was against Poole was tough they set up shop like Dyche's Burnley and dared us to break them down.

p4B4Nm.jpg

Agho finally broke through but another Over the Top ball ruined the day for us.

MFJ8Vi.jpg

Even though I was mad about the goal I thought the refereeing was biased but not too bad.....if we had lost though.....

zd1Ldd.jpg

kotLoy.jpg

I6sWSG.jpg

As you can see, we dominated the match just didn't quite do enough to win!

fjXtTC.jpg

The next home league match would be another fan day to build up the Supporters!

Before that match however we played the Tonbridge Angels....

9PPj44.jpg

I decided to rest the Starters and send in the Backups even though it was a road match.

M7lBLJ.jpg

Azeez showed a flash of his form from last season!

i4mOmr.jpg

First Place and a New Challenger....the other team I was offered by!

GHcEqq.jpg

A0u0mi.jpg

The analyst was overjoyed with the performance.

OovMcP.jpg

The team returned home for "Fan Day" versus Enfield Town.

IbWy1T.jpg

Only to have it postponed.

So now it was on to Wealdstone!

NozWEw.jpg

sHJJUM.jpg

GPS Coach is a big believer in Team building and has been running up his Credit Cards at the local pub.

qLrSzV.jpg

The rotated squad was more than enough especially since Thomas Hughes was the difference maker!

XVg1Rt.jpg

almost perfect match rating!

DFnZ7T.jpg

Hughes is finally back and put in an amazing performance!

bryINd.jpg

Starting another unbeaten streak.

xgxqBR.jpg

Match of the Day! and expanding the lead....

m9IA5V.jpg

This shows what a dominant performance it was by Hughes.

RYvy6O.jpg

h3d9RX.jpg

kap9zU.jpg

Analysis shows that it was another late win even with Hughes great play!

After the trip to Wealdstone we had a long trip to Nottingham, Home of Robin Hood and the Sheriff to play Notts County.

t1zxzD.jpg

The famous club had fallen on hard times and was only one level above Welling United in the pyramid.

6RZPH6.jpg

Just before the match one of our back-ups signed with a hometown team for a salary we just can't compete with!

6RZPH6.jpg

The match was a bit of a letdown but I played a rotated Squad as I started to think about the title run.

ANZMVl.jpg

gBBc4c.jpg

at least we exceeded expectations!

The much anticipated postponed "Fan Day" was here.....

iRGG1L.jpg

Park View Road readied to host Enfield Town.

Gxjuhn.jpg

It was an ugly game and we were on the losing side until a sending off broke their defensive cohesion and allowed Agho to score two goals for us to win the match!

This was the game I think I started believing that the Title was ours to lose!

VpFuYJ.jpg

o6PF4J.jpg

The streak continues but....look at the Xg!

734pVp.jpg

We escaped!

After the escape against Enfield, I was hoping for a better performance overall against Lewes, but complacency was finding its way into the team....

7EqvsJ.jpg

The Trip to Lewes would be tough....I am always wary of home underdogs!

M4IyJ2.jpg

My pessimism was justified! We played one of the worst matches of the season. We were flat out of the gate and had no answer for Sam Bellis receiving the Over-the-Top Ball.

LtWLXY.jpg

fEXsVw.jpg

The Analyst was less upset than I was with the performance. (We are the Blue Team Xg 2.31)

We then had to return home to face a Playoff team.....I also upped the physical demands in practice after the lackluster performance versus Lewes. (Think Suicide drills of Sprinting)

ZOIK3v.jpg

I played my strongest XI and told them in no uncertain terms, that We MUST WIN!

kJv4QA.jpg

and we did without help from and inspite of the referee!

sEYIw3.jpg

Green is not the smartest player but tall and athletic and finds himself in good positions often. Came on as a super sub.

GyTUq0.jpg

As the Analysis Shows We should have won anyway.....

75tvZT.jpg

fV9N2v.jpg

VLwmFV.jpg

This is one of our more direct passing games.

MYt9Di.jpg

The Chairman is looking to retire. That means a takeover.....will I still have a job?

The next match and actually first match of March was against title contenders Bath City!

QEWPot.jpg

They play a 3-4-2-1. The key to defending this formation is man-marking (zonally) the Wing Backs.

mRMPAO.jpg

The bookies and media put their money on us......

jE2Sry.jpg

Biggest Match of the Week! Will it be a title decider?

lnctI6.jpg

Demolition!

mWA1Yz.jpg

Love the Supporter Tweets!

IN53J4.jpg

We started fast and maintained the pressure until they finally crumbled and were routed!

pxrPVF.jpg

The Analyst was almost as pleased as I was!

v3uvWG.jpg

IRT1qX.jpg

and best of all checking another objective of the Vision!

uVSRtM.jpg

League Table

omXnH1.jpg

Player of the Month

Thomas Hughes

Team Home Page

Monthly Analysis

vVcDOC.jpg

TwPmI2.jpg

Monthly Management Report

FPsWPk.jpg

t0ql0C.jpg

svbHV0.jpg

Monthly Financial Report

QZlfIM.jpg

Thanks For Reading!

PS. I am posting this as fast as I can, due to using FM to decompress and the amount of work I take home.

Also comments are always appreciated!

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

March 2024: Regular Season

Manager Thoughts

The team continued its march towards the title with an undefeated month. This is not to say there weren't obstacles. The team finally got a new board and officiating was less than good in several matches. This led to some thrilling matches that show this is a special season!

Schedule

60cUVo.jpg

Highlights

Checking off the Club Vision.....

uVSRtM.jpg

After the Bath match the Board gave us some big news.....

mywuOr.jpg

After hearing the news and the fact we definitely in the top half of the league the press called and asked my opinion of our progress as a club

LrN5F5.jpg

C8FseL.jpg

Hopefully this saga ends soon!

ASlZT4.jpg

I'm hopeful.....

95rest.jpg

It's over!

AoYNxS.jpg

But I now have to find a new HYOD!

OVG1Yv.jpg

The new vision is same as the old vision!

k51kr2.jpg

Now I can add players that I probably don't need this season.....

The new board after saying they want to limit Transfer Activity....called me to a meeting and did this!

Gc9XHN.jpg

vwpUJP.jpg

After all the takeover activity and management shakeup it was time to get back to Football!

uaHr5A.jpg

Leading the League and hosting a midtable team we were comfortable favorites!

Ofjc8z.jpg

Even though the officiating was bad and pro visitors, we were able to win the match convincingly.

Mxs8ve.jpg

This was only because the referee was out to "fix" the match!

LMjCRk.jpg

After the match I tried to deflect from the officiating saying that I wasn't sure our form could continue!

The team then headed to Hemel Hempstead a relegation threatened team and missing a few players due suspensions....

twqI3x.jpg

We were firm favorites and needed to do a professional job!

BVwGQv.jpg

The Tuesday Night Match of the Week

PlzySg.jpg

The Backups had a good day and Azeez led the line.....even though he is second fiddle to Agho now!

tV14av.jpg

The Cypriot U-21 that is a backup here just signed with a hometown team for $143k/year.....

jq623S.jpg

Analysis shows we should have scored more goals!

lNT5Uw.jpg

0xkfbc.jpg

We started slowly, but put them to the sword in the second half!

The next match was against Title Challengers St. Albans City

O6D3YK.jpg

The Press is beginning to realize how special this season is,,,,

Sk0OTv.jpg

sSeXqI.jpg

The match was a tough one, but we should have won accept for a bad performance by our goalie! Even though we were down to ten men!

aaGTG3.jpg

This is another match that let me know this was our year!

16oJZ6.jpg

We were on 10 men from the 2nd Minute! More Biased officiating!

zueJQI.jpg

RodZal.jpg

No matter what we have a chance at promotion!

y3r7AT.jpg

We tied the match down to 10 men! Why would I complain about our effort?

vhoDGz.jpg

Goals galore! Our press and High number of shots is creating chances for us!

0nYWjf.jpg

ASdARD.jpg

Analysis shows we should have won the match!

The Analyst also showed why we were doing so well....

KLSA47.jpg

Mostly because we regained possession and took a lot of chances!

GY1TBN.jpg

Checking off the club vision!

I went to the club about improving our Youth Facilities and training Facilities and was told to sign Players!

v1YT3T.jpg

After they said they wanted to LIMIT Transfers!

r0BlIl.jpg

I did resign our only Home-grown Player.....as a potential Backup!

The next match was against Eastbourne Bororough!

fkbU6I.jpg

Nbwa90.jpg

The press wanted to talk about the takeover.....

and I found an HYOD!

ILGIga.jpg

Not much of a coach, but he has the right tactical philosophy and a decent personality!

14CI9L.jpg

We started fast and then they "parked the bus" and beat us over the top twice! Agho scored the equalizer in stoppage time!

1cwvU7.jpg

x1ZOXW.jpg

I just gave the press something to talk about and to pressure Aransibia who's form had fallen off!

We returned to Park View Road to play Chippenham Town!

o0K8nK.jpg

Now is the time to start the Title Run in ! All still to play far and not get Complacent!

I6bWig.jpg

Media realizing how great this season is!

I did sign one player just before the deadline: A Goalie!

GssdWF.jpg

EgkAJR.jpg

I think he is an upgrade on our starter and will be useful next season!

xk9Roj.jpg

I am very happy with the version of "Heavy Metal" Football we are playing....C'mon we are leading the League and imposing our will on other teams!

spFWgH.jpg

Chippenham was a prospective playoff team.

tLjwti.jpg

Lewis White our AML did his best Sadio Mane imitiation to lead the team to victory!

The Analyst was raving about our performance!

B76mf2.jpg

SAhix5.jpg

another day another "parked bus" broken down!'

The First Match of April will be....

cOcE8X.jpg

League Table

iTiK2W.jpg

Monthly Awards

ctImbQ.jpg

bLLWpc.jpg

Monthly Analysis

B07wwy.jpg

dCNEg7.jpg

These charts show why we are leading the league!

Management Report

OFqTTV.jpg

A9Lfbt.jpg

Qmjfmo.jpg

Monthly Financial Report

sD5dDf.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

8 hours ago, Carambau said:

Nice progress here :)  The title is as good as secured already!

I HATE to be that guy, but there´s a spelling mistake in your header.... its "Gegenpressing" without the "n".... sorry about that :( 

Thanks for the heads up!

7 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

Excellent work mate.:applause:

I didn't do much it was a pretty good team, and I just wanted them to play on the front foot! My classroom management skills helped of course!

3 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Great stuff! Looks like you're definitely going up

I have played into next preseason and yes, your prediction is correct. In fact, the season was record-breaking with total points and Goals in the Vanarama South

If I end up in the playoffs in the VNL with a Semi-Pro just promoted side, then Gegenpressing is OP in my opinion.

• Hootieleece changed the title to [FM 23] "Gegen pressing my way around the World": A Journeyman's story (Is the "Out of the Box" Gegen press OP?)
2 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Great work! Is there any moves on the card to start taking it around the world?

I am staying with Wellington since I need Badges and I just won the title. They have paid for National C and B so I may be able to get a Professional club next. More than likely, I will move after this upcoming season. (Sacked or Not) Unless they stay up and go professional.

I have had no interviews as of yet. I will start looking in the Job Center in March 2025 or before if sacked.

I have the Big 5 Countries and places I think an American with limited language skills could get a job loaded.

I intend to climb the ladder as much as possible and as I get more badges I will eliminate more of the Lower Leagues' and add more Countries. 

I intend to eventually manage Liverpool. If not them ASSE or Hertha. New England Revolution would be another target as well.

I really want to play in Asia and South America if possible. This save will last until next FM if necessary.

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

April 2024: Regular Season

Manager's Thoughts

The team kept up its torrid pace and finished the job with 4 matches left. We still had records and eternal? glory to play for. The only bad performance was against Woking. Otherwise, we were on a high and playing like it. The press really puts team under pressure and allows us to play on the front foot and that works well against teams that become deflated after we score first! That is how the Goals in a season record is in play for a team with an average finishing attribute of 6! I think this vindicates my leap of faith from a secure job in Education to pursuing a dream of managing a Football/Soccer Team.

This has been one of the best seasons I have ever had in FM, and I checked the points record at the end of the season and I only had about 400,000 on the board. I really don't know how players of LLM teams get higher scores for one season without using the editor. (I don't even own it). I plan on keeping this save going until FM 24 comes out and playing in many different leagues and many teams to show that SI's own tactics break the ME.

Highlights

The team started the month of April with a trip to the White Cliffs of Dover to play our rivals.

cOcE8X.jpg

Due to our run and position in the table we were considered comfortable favorites even though the team was just outside the playoff spots.

6kqCEh.jpg

I played a heavily rotated squad and put them to the sword!

8I4Sld.jpg

the magic number is 98!

yuuFkv.jpg

It was close early but once I subbed in some starters in the second half the rout was on!

ElotTJ.jpg

Aransibia seems to be finding his form again!

pRWt0Z.jpg

We've set a club record for points! I think it will become an almost unreachable number!

The analyst was enthused about our performance

7bac07.jpg

fY3QpQ.jpg

ymGdMc.jpg

We kept good passing positions during the game as well.

The next match on our run would see the team host Concord Rangers

zH1YZx.jpg

They are relegation threatened and we will intend to make their lives miserable.

N7xIWZ.jpg

Chasing records! Media is getting the Hype train going!

qGWZcs.jpg

I backed my team to win it ...since it was stating the obvious!

and it went down well with the locker room as well!

Q2hsq9.jpg

We won the game with a good defensive effort.

xelUOx.jpg

We will most likely win on goal difference.....if necessary!

CK3hdF.jpg

Team Record! Now for the League Records!

xWJFBH.jpg

We won and played well and deserved to win.

CAfdKQ.jpg

sOrJTX.jpg

We kept a good shape and were rewarded for it.

The next match was a tricky one on the road versus Woking. The Playoff team would do everything to spoil our party!

9vbLck.jpg

Both teams were in good form, and we were actually underdogs!

JgCe1y.jpg

3 more wins and a League record!

k0dTWE.jpg

A record number of Goals in a season is play. Pretty good for a team with a finishing average of 6!

QuWGn7.jpg

First against Third and we could win the title!

FMZ76O.jpg

We lost the match but won the title anyway.....98 was the magic number!

iQzvVT.jpg

image.jpeg.216f53703acd8113ca9ccb189a4ae833.jpeg

mbRssV.jpg

The press tried to sour the mood with their questions in the press conference after the match....

6W7ZSq.jpg

The analysis shows we were going to lose no matter the refs!

TIXerN.jpg

The Board was ecstatic and started making plans for next season!

WCNAdJ.jpg

The budget is reasonable, and No I won't go crazy in the Transfer Market! Welling United is a Semi-Pro Team. I may spend some but definitely not all of that transfer budget.

The next match would see the team return to Park View Road as Champions!

8YmsCF.jpg

image.jpeg.e718f7366d6c02718474f7c5a5a40d28.jpeg

hm2S3a.jpg

We were playing our best XI and I intended to prove we were the Champions!

zZs2jF.jpg

Nf6LOc.jpg

Platitudes from the opposing manager.

5TtIcf.jpg

The Party was postponed!

4Gc7r8.jpg

These were the only players good enough to join our terrible youth team from a dreadful Youth Candidate team.

The next match was at Farnborough.....

W4yR9S.jpg

another decent team but I want to really show we deserved to be Champions!

1ixE6T.jpg

fLsTBK.jpg

J9xUBA.jpg

Still chasing records! All well within reach with 4 matches to go!

gMbEdn.jpg

Scored before their bus was ready and then spent more than an hour trying to get the second and third. "Heavy Metal" Football deserves the most Goals in a season record!

OZcC3y.jpg

I played a rotated squad and brought Agho on late as a Super Sub. A brace isn't bad for 15 minutes of work!

lMfamM.jpg

The team was returning to Park View Road for first home match since becoming Champions.

wiqhL1.jpg

Southend is a bigger club and a playoff team this maybe a tricky match....

HruTCi.jpg

I intended to play the Best XI and hope for goals!

2gHLpB.jpg

more platitudes pre-match.

eIYB6b.jpg

my41PI.jpg

A beatdown ensued....I expected more from Southend....they played like they had tee times at the local golf course after the match!

4P4hAU.jpg

Record Points tally for the team and League! Two matches to go, Can we reach 110?

rPZyEW.jpg

He just a gentleman and a scholar!

XlSdeA.jpg

Former Southend Player White starred against them!

djjNt8.jpg

Once we scored it was over and the rout was on!

The last match of the month was against relegated Gosport Borough!

jKWjQ3.jpg

Need to do a professional job and rob them of their pride!

tvXnhq.jpg

Still chasing the wins in a season! One more and we set it!

aNh9tz.jpg

Another good performance!

TJVT35.jpg

The points and wins are racking up now only the Goals record left to break!

8RQnmA.jpg

VRh2jl.jpg

and even better our fierce rivals Dartford are relegated out of the Game!

zP8aEI.jpg

more enthusiastic analysis!

Monthly Analysis Report

7RyWZi.jpg

Monthly Awards

V89XiQ.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

PS. For some reason I didn't get the emails about management or finances at the end of April.

I'm noticing a trend of creating excellent chances late in games - especially those that are in the balance.  Seems like the pressure and the physical work is paying off.

As a player I will say that the main thing that could make or break a side at a less that top level is their physical conditioning/ability.  I agree that it's crazy to think that a lower league side like this would be able to play that style, but it's not but just so far off to think that that conditioning would allow your side to finish matches in a way that others can't handle!

5 hours ago, 13th Man said:

I'm noticing a trend of creating excellent chances late in games - especially those that are in the balance.  Seems like the pressure and the physical work is paying off.

As a player I will say that the main thing that could make or break a side at a less that top level is their physical conditioning/ability.  I agree that it's crazy to think that a lower league side like this would be able to play that style, but it's not but just so far off to think that that conditioning would allow your side to finish matches in a way that others can't handle!

Funny thing is that I am NOT really training. Most of my practice time in the latter half of the season is spent in Recovery with the Physios and at the Pub "Team Building".

I will definitely work on physical training when I am coaching a Professional team.

15 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

I am staying with Wellington since I need Badges and I just won the title. They have paid for National C and B so I may be able to get a Professional club next. More than likely, I will move after this upcoming season. (Sacked or Not) Unless they stay up and go professional.

I have had no interviews as of yet. I will start looking in the Job Center in March 2025 or before if sacked.

I have the Big 5 Countries and places I think an American with limited language skills could get a job loaded.

I intend to climb the ladder as much as possible and as I get more badges I will eliminate more of the Lower Leagues' and add more Countries. 

I intend to eventually manage Liverpool. If not them ASSE or Hertha. New England Revolution would be another target as well.

I really want to play in Asia and South America if possible. This save will last until next FM if necessary.

I like everything except for the managing Liverpool part :)

anyway they are overrated on this version 

Wellington United

cesXbf.jpg

May 2024: Regular Season and Offseason

Manager's Thoughts

The season was coming to a close and we had one match left to claim the all-time Goal scoring record in the VNS. The match was at our Rival Dartford's Pitch. We played like the champion's we were. Afterwards I had to start planning for next season. In the VNL some of the teams are professional and I think that there will be a quality gap between us and them. How to make the team better? I am trying to get players with better technical skills and decision-making skills. The biggest issue is pace on the backline. So, I made a splash in the transfer market for a young fullback that can be turned into a Ball-Playing Defender. I also decided to bring some experienced players in as well since I assume we will be fighting relegation. That is for the next installment!

Schedule

1ZPA6C.jpg

Highlights

The final match of the season was a bit anticlimactic. Dartford our fierce rivals had already been relegated.

2OvRhk.jpg

But that didn't mean the team wouldn't try and set the Goal scoring record for the League! Plus doing it on their ground would be priceless bragging rights for our supporters!

7s7LbW.jpg

We need just one more goal!

YPt4zR.jpg

lQDqoh.jpg

Started fast and got the goal we were looking for. Dartford tried to play and immediately replied but after we got our second the rout was on! It should have been more goals We hit the woodwork FOUR TIMES!

2DjtSm.jpg

aNYRDb.jpg

Definitely a season for the Ages! Look at the Table!

AomvJE.jpg

and yes I gloated a bit in the press conference.

6fCM0x.jpg

33m20l.jpg

The Dartford boys tried to pin us back, but it didn't work, and we found space to score!

Shortly after the season ended, I received a call from the board about next season. The Meeting was productive.

tFkVgj.jpg

I agree with the Club Vision and will continue playing "Heavy Metal Football"

q1M16d.jpg

We are at least growing our Social Media support and Park View Road is considered Family Friendly!

zUjqjg.jpg

But most importantly I was able to start my badges!

pLXQAB.jpg

5FcWqx.jpg

The Financial implications of our Cup Run and Season are made manisfest!

I then made my first signing for next season. A Young Centerback to build around. Since I don't expect to score as much in the VNL I have to improve the defense if we are to play the high line!

JHxFyx.jpg

v0kx9U.jpg 

I probably overpaid, but I made the move because he is exactly what I am looking for.

Tba4Np.jpg

Better decisions than Woodman and more importantly better ball skills.

rSmZXl.jpg 

20 of our 27 players earned medals for this incredible season!

jjfEkn.jpg

Meanwhile in the Premier League.....

lKf4eh.jpg

My favorite team was having a season to remember as well!

aiABp7.jpg

Woking the second placed team was promoted to the VNL as well.

Vm2kPD.jpg

Final Table and Two Players runners up in assists and goals!

sRlfeQ.jpg

Let's look at the Stats from the League!

eDFpzH.jpg

121 Goals in 46 matches! 29 more than second place!

x1ZDMJ.jpg

The only team to get above the magical number of Two points/match! (That is my rule of thumb about winning a title in any league)

uGONVC.jpg

To score our goals we had to take 7+ shots and a team with 6 finishing had the best shot on target %

CtaXVR.jpg

If I didn't rotate, I think Agho would have won the Boot! 34 goals on 74 shots! 

NZ3uVn.jpg

Agho had TWO creative types assisting him! 

4vnI1l.jpg

Thomas Hughes our "Dead Ball Specialist" and Playmaker (Even though he doesn't play that role as AMC in the Tactic) made the most key passes in league!

The Dreadful Youth Academy

C59ji2.jpg

Only Three of these players were given contracts!

Only Richards will ever be in the first team!

blxwek.jpg

I also signed Chez Isaac from St. Albans to provide leadership in our relegation battle ahead!

and possibly become our "playmaker" if we can't re-sign Hughes!

and meanwhile more news from the Northwest!

95SDUp.jpg

Liverpool win the FA Cup!

We were biggest overachievers!

Season Analysis Report

Xhm0q5.jpg

8aeJYJ.jpg

HMAaUZ.jpg

Awards

zYVj6h.jpg

SSGWll.jpg

wyUaGO.jpg

iaf4VE.jpg

Management Report

59LRNv.jpg

8cZw8Q.jpg

jmRMep.jpg

Monthly Financial Report

DZLAbM.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

Season Review

6riMiu.jpg

UJkVbe.jpg

GpHO4k.jpg

A lot of players came into the team that made contributions to the special season. Josh Green, Lewis White, and Alfie Burnett.

YoUBDB.jpg

Only Two players missed out according to the marketing department.

Stefan Payne was replaced by Agho.

anFExX.jpg

Our incredible FA Cup run with famous victories over Barrow and Rotherham.

It7xdN.jpg

Less impressive FA Trophy Run.

2elmxD.jpg

JIcC3i.jpg

The finances improved over the season before but mostly because of prize money. 

cBhN7U.jpg

The Strongest XI 

96 of 121 goals

77 assists

x7l3LN.jpg

MIPD0j.jpg

V9Ez05.jpg

GPS Coach Update

Lc1PWU.jpg

Welling United Best Ever XI

dzlDWj.jpg

Basically the Starting XI of this season!

Thanks for Reading!

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

June 2024: Off Season

Manager's Thoughts

GPS Coach celebrated his season, but while enjoying some bourbon and beers at the pub his mind turned to the next season. He knew that he needed to improve the squad and let go of a lot of players if the team was to establish itself in the new league. He was still looking for Big, Pacy, Athletic Types, but also needed smarts and technical skills to compete. So, he decided to bring in a few older players to help stabilize the squad and get them ready for a relegation fight. Of course, he would still sign younger players to the team and expect them to step and challenge for spots. Also Coach didn't press the board into going professional. If the season is a success (stay in VNL) he would explore that possibility.

Highlights

WNoFqJ.jpg

7BD0Eb.jpg

Signed to be a different style of Striker from Agho and to provide competition.

jyPjfg.jpg

This is the replacement for White on the left.

MufHoD.jpg

We will continue pressing and play attacking football and Gabby will have to adapt.

IJzZUU.jpg

Looking to upgrade the midfield, again raiding rivals.....we probably have too many CM's but we will find the right pairings with our hectic Preseason Match Schedule!

H1RYFm.jpg

Vigor and Isaac had been seen as possible replacements for this guy.....but after the promotion became official, he changed his tune and re-signed with us.

giWLXB.jpg

A new Left Back!

Pi5RPt.jpg

roYWiF.jpg

XmB8NG.jpg

The replacement for Josh Green!

lfMvCL.jpg

The Board Met and reminded me of this season's objectives.

3GXlO9.jpg

All in all not bad. reasonable.

HGCwRw.jpg

wow a whole $5K for TV rights!

JleSE1.jpg

The fixture list is trying to create a new rival for us in Dag & Red from the Northwest Suburbs of Greater London.

gaw09a.jpg

Too bad our U-18's are terrible.

oLiDpF.jpg

A replacement for Maclean on the Back line.

o6585l.jpg

Hugo Lloris is biggest name on the list.

Transfers

82L6YJ.jpg

Reuben Noble-Lazarus

Matt Vigor

Joshua Lett

Lennon Peake

Sonny Aljofree

Management Report

Qpfp57.jpg

as7Opb.jpg

Both the Board and the Supporters are happy, but they have reservations about some of the transfer business.

U8eXDu.jpg

Financial Report

aQa3wE.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

Welling United

cesXbf.jpg

July 2024: Preseason

Manager's Thoughts

Since I am playing with a Semi-Pro team and Match Fitness is more important than training. I decided on playing At Least TWO friendlies a week. The number of matches was 11 in 27 days! The Saturday one was always against better opposition if possible and the Tuesday matches on the road. This was design to get the team to hit the ground running in the new season. Even if it might lead to injuries. The team was more than able to cope with the hectic schedule. Playing winning football against smaller teams and remaining surprisingly competitive against much bigger teams. I think this bodes well for the season.

Schedule

xybagu.jpg

Highlights

The Month of July started with the scouting staff and me trying to find players to fill some needs in the team. I needed another AML for depth purposes.

eqnzsp.jpg

oP50Hq.jpg

and this guy came across our radar....he will definitely challenge for a starting spot.

ZhXWRa.jpg

even better it fullfilled a promise!

0CLpAA.jpg

yTBzfA.jpg

This player was brought in as a depth player for either CB (mostly) or DM.

NQfBfg.jpg

We played another Friendly against Charlton and Ollie!

GQZzYb.jpg

It was a friendly against better competition and the scoreline flattered the winners. Basically we had no answer for Charlie Kirk!

WeLogD.jpg

The Xg even proves we played better.

UyQyO2.jpg

But we lose one of the players I was counting on for the rest of preseason.

The next big match was against Millwall, and we played well but just couldn't get a goal. Their only goal was a world class shot by a player that makes more than my entire team!

The fans and ref also thought a Rugby match had broken out because of all the fouls by BOTH teams.

bW2bEL.jpg

lmK0Ib.jpg

The Sales and marketing department were happy to report that Season Ticket Sales were growing....

wK3I3X.jpg

fos0mQ.jpg

Interesting appointment for English National Team!

With the Preseason coming to an end, we played Norwich U21's using our 4-2-4 Formation and it did well....

eghS1G.jpg

Good Win!

The media was previewing things in the VNL!

razJk7.jpg

unsurprising that no one on our team was on the list. I did make sure that we scouted all of them before we play them.

The Board also reminded me of the objectives for the season.

QqHk8w.jpg

and we had another serious injury.

dwPAVP.jpg

His form was putting him in contention for the starting lineup. He should be back for Halloween!

Management Report

mgbZJq.jpg

Last Season has given me decent security in the job unless we go on a real losing streak!

G8TCA5.jpg

YY6zor.jpg

Thanks for Reading!