[FM42] A brave new world - Historical divergence

1 minute ago, Wolf_pd said:

Not yet in Asia, but that's because Europe is complicated. Napoleon is a bit of a busy beaver.

Oh, boy. That's going to be tough. I hope that you'll have an idea on what to do in Europe, which I recommend go with Western Europe. France may be divided where Occitania+Monaco and Basque Nations may be possible. The islands of Corsica and Sicily may be united too. So, those are my thoughts now.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, sherwinriga said:

Oh, boy. That's going to be tough. I hope that you'll have an idea on what to do in Europe, which I recommend go with Western Europe. France may be divided where Occitania+Monaco and Basque Nations may be possible. The islands of Corsica and Sicily may be united too. So, those are my thoughts now.

Way ahead of you ;)

The map is slowly forming. It’s rather connecting the dots and the fallout of some decision points. Western Europe is getting close to done. Southern Europe is pretty much done, Southeastern Europe is a bit of a puzzle, Eastern Europe more so, but some suggestions in the thread have been taken on board or send me into a direction to help me slice through the Gordian knot.

8 hours ago, sherwinriga said:

Yep. I have been following this thread to see if any progress in Asia-Pacific, but hopefully, you'll have some plans about balkanized Philippines and possibly, Japan. I love the real life PFL and J.League, which they're more competitive in the recent years.

I've managed Stallion Laguna in the Philippines. Was a very enjoyable save. Was very hard to be competitive in the Asian Champions League though

Australia here. Will be interesting how Oceania pans out, as well as large chunks of Asia and most of Africa, given how much colonising went on courtesy of Europe, especially Britain and their Empire. Happy to give any perspective on Australian/New Zealand colonial history if required, both sociologically and for football. In our reality football of all codes in Australia is a messy maze.

7 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

Australia here. Will be interesting how Oceania pans out, as well as large chunks of Asia and most of Africa, given how much colonising went on courtesy of Europe, especially Britain and their Empire. Happy to give any perspective on Australian/New Zealand colonial history if required, both sociologically and for football. In our reality football of all codes in Australia is a messy maze.

You are right on pointing out the European influence on the rest of the world, that's why my focus is on getting Europe in order and it needs to be done while keeping in mind the effect on the rest of the world. For instance, I already have made one big change in Europe which has major implications for central Africa. At the same time, that European change and the knockon effect of it, does open up a road for changes in that central African area which actually do connect it to current day affairs.
So two routes, real-life and the alternative history one, end up at the same junction in 2024. It's just that some of the variables have been changed which do change the balance of power in certain ways.

PS: The area I am talking about in Africa is the DR Congo, but I am not telling you which butterfly flapped its wings :D

32 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

PS: The area I am talking about in Africa is the DR Congo, but I am not telling you which butterfly flapped its wings

image.png.3d1382c5e7814281f17922c59e5b6acd.png

6 hours ago, XaW said:

image.png.3d1382c5e7814281f17922c59e5b6acd.png

Impressive beard, but no, he is not involved. Not that his absence makes things better in the long run. But I am happy to report this mass murderer disappears from history.

On a sidenote, I really need to start gathering information on football controversies and see if I can alternate the competition histories as well (first and second level and main cup at most btw). Italy does provide some options for that, but my own Netherlands has some possibilities too.

31 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

Impressive beard, but no, he is not involved. Not that his absence makes things better in the long run. But I am happy to report this mass murderer disappears from history.

I just heard DR Congo and changed up due to changes to colonialism, and my thoughts jump to The Congo Free State, and thus to old Leopold II and his, well let's keep this suitable for the forum, rather exploitive and cruel reign there.

Congo Free State doesn’t happen, that’s the good news. It still will get messy, that’s the bad news.

2 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

On a sidenote, I really need to start gathering information on football controversies and see if I can alternate the competition histories as well (first and second level and main cup at most btw). Italy does provide some options for that, but my own Netherlands has some possibilities too.

Controversies like the doping scandal of Juventus in the final vs Ajax in 1996?

Perhaps Christoph Daum and Uli Hoeneß, FC Hollywood and nations with a bit of matchfixing here and there?

3 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

What happens to the Bosman verdict? Will it still happen? Can you create a world where it didn't, technically in the editor?

46 minutes ago, Jorgen said:

Controversies like the doping scandal of Juventus in the final vs Ajax in 1996?

Perhaps Christoph Daum and Uli Hoeneß, FC Hollywood and nations with a bit of matchfixing here and there?

Oh, there are many many errors. I did some quick googling and wikipedia-ing in native languages and you find a treasure trove of shenanigans

22 minutes ago, XaW said:

What happens to the Bosman verdict? Will it still happen? Can you create a world where it didn't, technically in the editor?

The Bosman verdict can be removed without issue. The Iron Curtain does so. I am contemplating whether to remove the Bosman verdict completely, or partially, as the original claim that Bosman put down with Belgian courts was smaller than what was eventually decided. Also, there is also the Kolpak ruling which has more impact.

• 2 weeks later...

While I am overthinking my sins in the Iron Curtain files, I am also working a bit on a Brazil file. After much reading I came to a setup that doesn’t differ much from the current setup. The difference is that it is more streamlined and made more efficient, but other than that Brazilianfootball  does have its own flavour with the state competitions. Only decisions to make is to set foreign player policies and transfer policies.

In the meantime I am also looking through colonial history and it seems I am getting to the point where World War 1 really is THE deciding point, just like the Napoleonic Wars are another one.

Deepdiving into colonial history brings up a wealth of things I didn't know, like for instance that if the Belgian troops weren't send back in German East Africa, the Belgian possesions after WW1 could have included 1/3rd of Tanzania as well. Next up is, what to do with that information :D

Working a bit on a colonial map for 1918-1920
Colour coding, France = Bleu, Portugal = Red, British Empire = Purple, Italy = Green, Yellow = Spain, Pink = Ethiopia
If you know your history, you will maybe notice a few things that look out of the ordinary, but the map currently is mainly correct for this period. Grey parts are either places where I need to draw my own borders (Morroco and Nigeria area) and places that are under discussion (the four voices in my head are not agreeing, as per usual).