Player Promises

• 5 months later...

Players can and will invent promises out of thin air. I just had a youngster with a loan status of unavailable for loan scream at me for breaking a promise not to loan him. I look and I have a completed loan promise to him that starts and ends on that day,  I reloaded a save from the day before to check my promises and what do you know. There was no promise to that player at all. The player just invented it to try and force a move. 

• 4 months later...

I have had several promises that I didnt make to my 4 star players that I signed in preseason

I didnt realise until too late, and now my team is a bit buggered.

I believe that my DoF negotiated contracts with positional promises that dont exist in the team.

I  now fully control my contract negotiations.

I signed an 18 year old Colombian youth who would not negotiate on his star player status (whatever...)

But I checked under promises, and he has a positional promise that I specifically deselected. He aint gonna start matches... and I am certainly not going to change my fullback from complete to standard everytime I bring him on... I already had to change it for the first team player. So basically I have wasted a ton of money on another player who will want to leave in 6 months.

This has to be the worst "feature" in any game I have played. Its like ANTIFUN. There should be an option to turn it off... or fix the ******** invented arsepull promises... Oh I doubt we will get another patch now...

Can I upgrade my save game to FM2023/4?  Or will that have promises too?

Edited by Charly

Of course, there will be player promises, but all answers that are deemed to be promises are marked as such in the reply choices so are hard to miss.  If you control all player recruitment and interactions, there should be no promise made to any player without your approval.

Answers and replys to what? the oonly place I have seen promises are when talking to the agent prior to working out the contract, and at the end of the season when talking to the squad.

I do control that now, but its a bit late. I have had to sell 2 top players. I convinced Gakpo to stay (fortunately).

I have one full back (Renan Lodi)...

He had played 8 games as a wingback before I noticed I had a promise to make him a complete fullback. I have now played him in that position for 8 games and he is upset... I still have no idea of the difference between a complete fullback and a wingback, but hey.

I still have 2 days and one game to fulfill the promise. I am hoping that will tip the balance, but the window closes 5 days later. I worked out that i can preprogramme the tactic screen so that when I bring on subs they automatically play in the role they want, so I managed to get my backup LB to be happy in his "fullback" role. Not "complete fullback", mind... That would really **** him off.

Edited by Charly

Promises can be made during press conferences and particularly with player interactions around player unhappiness.  Keep a close eye out for the white banner in any response that will indicate that it is a promise.  As a rule it is always best to not make any promise that is not quantifiable and preferably none at all.

This is what happens when you don't pay attention to what's happening in-game. FM has a lot going on, and it can be easy to miss stuff, but promises are something that's vitally important to keep on top of. Unfortunately it's been so binary since they were introduced, and there's little context attached, so it can be a nightmare to try and recover from, particularly if it's something frivolous like playing in a specific role, even if the player is playing every week and performing well in the role you have him in.  From what I've read about FM24, interactions 'should' be a lot more logical and not quite so black and white, so hopefully that's improved on. 

15 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

hat happens when you don't pay attention to what's happening in-game. FM has a lot going on, and it can be easy to miss stuff, but promises are something that's vitally important to keep on top of. Unfortunately it's been so binary since they were introduced, and there's little context attached, so it can be a nightmare to try and recover from, particularly if it's something frivolous like playing in a specific role, even if the player is playing every week and performing well in the role you have him in.  From what I've read about FM24, interactions 'should' be a lot more logical and not quite so black and white, so hopefully that's improved on. 

That is good to hear about fm24

Personally I learnt long ago not promise anything unless absolutely necessary. First thing on most new signing's contracts is to remove all promises and lock them out. If that is unacceptable to the player then I'm fine with that. I really don't need the hassle. I'll turn my attention towards someone else. It may not be the most sensible strategy, but It helps in the long run when you are lazy and autocratic.

Edited by Kickballz