(FM23) - Custom Nation in Europe (Does not work with 23.3)

For those who wish to create custom nations to play in Europe I have once again created a file to do so

As previously this is done by moving Kazakhstan over to Asia to free up a place in the UEFA International Competitions.

A full explanation can be found in the FM22 version

UPDATE - Unfortunatly this does not work for the 23.3 update, the Asian world cup qualifiers are less flexible and although they do not crash they cannot acomodate another team

Attached are 2 files, one using Ireland (Pre-1922) and one for C.I.S. as these appear to be the most poular when creating new nations

Only run one of these at a time or it will create conflicts

Custom Nation in Europe (IRL).fmfCustom Nation in Europe (CIS).fmf

Edited by nasaiain

13 hours ago, Wrennie1919 said:

Hi bud, question. Do I create a separate file to go alongside this where I edit Ireland-Pre 1992 to be my new nation or do I use your file and edit it in there?

Your custom nation should be created in a seperate file using Ireland (Pre-1922). Both files must then be loaded when starting the game.

Might just add that you can go into England's "records" for highest scoring game etc and change the old "Ireland pre-1922" entry to Northern Ireland if you like (same FA), so it doesn't show up as your created nation. Think Scotland and Wales might have records against them too

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 05:45, MGC88 said:

Is it possible to remove Northern Ireland completely and replace them with a new nation using Ireland (pre-1922)?

Removing countries is always tricky with messing with hard-coded stuff, especially if Russia get let back in on a future update. If you're swapping everyone out of N.Ireland (I assume to unify the island under the Republic's banner) you could just use that blank unique ID to create a new UEFA nation. I did that and made Jersey in FM22 with the old N.Ireland but you could also probably get rid of all the Brexit and UK work permit type rules too

Other than Ireland pre-1922 and CIS, which extinct nations do you use? @nine_iron @nasaiain any faves? Do nationalities like Borneo Malay do anything in the leagues over there (or for that matter, West Malay, SEA Chinese, Singh Indian, or Tamil Indian)? Did they ever? I don't see anyone with any as a "second nation". Some extinct nations appear to exist solely for history entries, like Upper Volta and South Vietnam

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, fresca said:

Hello, I made 55 countries, not 54 countries in Europe, participate in the Nations League and the World Cup. But the euro can't get out. Please tell me what is the problem with this file.

TEST UEFA 2.fmf 19.67 kB · 0 downloads

Hit the same issue myself. You'd have to rebuild the Euro qualifying:

9 hours ago, fresca said:

Hello, I made 55 countries, not 54 countries in Europe, participate in the Nations League and the World Cup. But the euro can't get out. Please tell me what is the problem with this file.

TEST UEFA 2.fmf 19.67 kB · 1 download

The way the base database is set up means you cannot just add a new Nation to Europe and expect it to work.

Unfortunately the Euro Qualifiers is hard coded to work for 54 Nations in Europe, any more or any less and it just will not run. This leaves you with 2 options

1. Rebuild the Euro qualifiers from scratch, a tricky task seeing as they are interconnected with the Nations League
  2. Replace a nation in Europe, often the go to method, this is what the file in this thread does. 

On a side note though the World cup qualifiers run without being edited they will only use the best 54 Nations in Europe, if you add 1 or more the lowest ranked teams will miss out. 

Edited by nasaiain

On 19/12/2022 at 03:59, themodelcitizen said:

Other than Ireland pre-1922 and CIS, which extinct nations do you use? @nine_iron @nasaiain any faves? Do nationalities like Borneo Malay do anything in the leagues over there (or for that matter, West Malay, SEA Chinese, Singh Indian, or Tamil Indian)? Did they ever? I don't see anyone with any as a "second nation". Some extinct nations appear to exist solely for history entries, like Upper Volta and South Vietnam

My go to has been Ireland (Pre-1922) as I wanted British names for my custom nation, and this worked for the FM21 and FM22 versions. I completely rebuilt it for FM23 and I have no idea what I did but the names are not being restricted, I have names from all over the world now being used. This is even better for my needs. Though Second Nations are non-existant.

1 hour ago, nasaiain said:

My go to has been Ireland (Pre-1922) as I wanted British names for my custom nation, and this worked for the FM21 and FM22 versions. I completely rebuilt it for FM23 and I have no idea what I did but the names are not being restricted, I have names from all over the world now being used. This is even better for my needs. Though Second Nations are non-existant.

I was going to do 55 countries, but I gave up. I think it's right to do it in 54 countries. Thank You

Bro, you are my hero. I struggled on this point to create new nations (a bit my passion with the editor) but I could never finish a project cause of that.  Now I will be able to give my content to the community thanks to you. Thanks a lot <3 (And thanks this youtube tutorial I've seen years ago that learned me to use C.I.S as my new country :lol:)

EDIT: When I test the competitions (mine, seperated of yours) the EURO qualifiers crash in 2026, I am doing a live test in game to see if it happens in game

https://prnt.sc/A0_cVeo0nQE-

EDIT2: Simulated until 2027, no problem happened, it works perfectly!

If you want you can add me on discord to talk about nation edition: Apoula#9075

Edited by Apoula

• 2 weeks later...

As expected this doesnt quite work with the 23.3 update.

Replacing a Kazakhstan with a new nation, and moving Kazakhstan to Asia works just fine, but the default AFC World Cup/Asia Cup qualifiers dont accomodate an additional team. 23 Teams qualify for the first round but only 22 get drawn.

If you are not aware the first and second round for the 2 competions uses the same matches

So it may be an easy fix or not, the world cup qualifiers is simple

• First round:[note 1] 22 teams (ranked 26–47) will play home-and-away over two legs. The eleven winners advance to the second round.

So change it to 24 teams with the winners advancing

But the Asian Cup qualifiers throw up this delight

• First round:[note 1] 22 teams (ranked 26–47) will play home-and-away over two legs.
    • The eleven winners advance to the second round.
    • One best ranked losing team will advance to the third round of Asian Cup qualification.
    • Play-off round:[note 3] 10 losing teams from the first round will compete in home-and-away two-legged play-off matches that determine the final five qualifiers for the third round.

The solution is easy, noone gets a bye and all 12 losers progress to the Playoff round

Edited by nasaiain

• nasaiain changed the title to (FM23) - Custom Nation in Europe (Does not work with 23.3)

So after spending thsi afternoon looking into this this method of adding a team to Europe is not quite as simple as it used to be.

Everything I did just threw up another problem, like I said before the following works just fine as it used to

• Additional nation plays in Europe
  • Kazakhstan plays in Asia

But as the world cup qualifiers are semi-hard coded i ran across the following issues

• When teams entered and how may was being defined by I believe an additional helper called 'FIFA World Cup'. With this removed i was able to add the additional team to the qualifiers and all worked fine untill the playoff
  • I suspect the same helper was defining how the playoff was working as it was just no longer taking place
  • I could edit the Playoff, but then this resulted in 2 things happening if an Asian Nation was hosting the world cup
    • Not enough AFC team entering the intercontinental playoff (1 instead of 2)
    • Too many AFC team qualifying for the world cup (49 in total instead of 48)

So based on my time constraints unfortunatly this file is dead for the time being

Edited by nasaiain

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 06/03/2023 at 21:41, nasaiain said:

So after spending thsi afternoon looking into this this method of adding a team to Europe is not quite as simple as it used to be.

Everything I did just threw up another problem, like I said before the following works just fine as it used to

• Additional nation plays in Europe
  • Kazakhstan plays in Asia

But as the world cup qualifiers are semi-hard coded i ran across the following issues

• When teams entered and how may was being defined by I believe an additional helper called 'FIFA World Cup'. With thsi remove di was able to add teh additional team to the qualifiers and all worked fine untill the playoff
  • I suspect the same helper was defining how the playoff was working as it was just no longer taking place
  • I could edit the Playoff, but then this resulted in 2 things happening is an Asian Nation was hosting the world cup
    • Not enough AFC team entering the intercontinental playoff (1 instead of 2)
    • Too many AFC team qualifying for the world cup (49 in total instead of 48)

So based on my time constraints unfortunatly this file is dead for the time being

I appreciate the things you try, I have the same problems and frustrations as you have with the 23.3/23.4 updates... I created my own nation but I the Nations League and Europe Cup qualifiers miss because the tournaments rules... This line (ignore Russia...) has something to do with it, I still have problem fixing while other International tournaments have problems when I remove it from the Nations League rules.., maybe you can take a look at this rule and maybe you find something so we can get further?

Schermopname (134).png

I'm having the same problem trying to make a custom nation work (an edited Ireland Pre-1922), regarding to international matches.

Nation League works fine though, after I bumped Kazakhstan to... Oceania (not perfect but I can live with that)

But Euro qualifiers never start. Would adding a custom European Qualifiers competition work in that case after 23.4 ?
And if so, it seems like a daunting task. Would duplicating and (expertly) editing the World Cup Europe qualifiers do the trick ?

On 01/05/2023 at 14:20, Kaizer FSF said:

I'm having the same problem trying to make a custom nation work (an edited Ireland Pre-1922), regarding to international matches.

Nation League works fine though, after I bumped Kazakhstan to... Oceania (not perfect but I can live with that)

But Euro qualifiers never start. Would adding a custom European Qualifiers competition work in that case after 23.4 ?
And if so, it seems like a daunting task. Would duplicating and (expertly) editing the World Cup Europe qualifiers do the trick ?

I have the C.I.S. file downloaded and my fantasy country replaced with C.I.S.  Instead of moving Kazachstan to another continent, I made Kazachstan continent-less. My fantasy country (Friesland) has no problems with it at all

Schermopname (144).png

Schermopname (145).png

Schermopname (146).png

On 05/05/2023 at 20:39, NiekMulderij said:

I have the C.I.S. file downloaded and my fantasy country replaced with C.I.S.  Instead of moving Kazachstan to another continent, I made Kazachstan continent-less. My fantasy country (Friesland) has no problems with it at all

I've done something like that to create 'Vlaanderen' as a nation. (instead of Liechtenstein)
In the first test it worked fine. Only, there are still names like 'Liechtenstein' popping up in messages. Is it possible to remove that entirely?

Thanks Nick! I wish I saw it before reverting back to replacing Gibraltar 

Il y a 3 heures, lz a dit :

I've done something like that to create 'Vlaanderen' as a nation. (instead of Liechtenstein)
In the first test it worked fine. Only, there are still names like 'Liechtenstein' popping up in messages. Is it possible to remove that entirely?

Apart from editing names in the editor: 
In the Football Manager 2023 folder there is a folder named languages, containing example.ltf where you can translate other stuff
Maybe you should look into this 

@Rainbowz and @zangelmi have managed to make the European Championship working with the same method (Kazakhstan in Asia). Apparently, Rainbowz used its FM22 files and imported them in FM23.

I've adapted Zangelmi's file and my country works again. Nevertheless, there is an error message concerning Asia WC qualifications when I make a test in editor. But this competition works when I test it in game.

You could say my title is a bit misleading, the file DOES work, but its DOES NOT work correctly.

Kazakhstan get moved over, and a new nation plays in Europe no problem. But it results in a random Asian team missing out in the World Cup and Asia Cup Qualifiers because it is drawing 22 teams out of a pool of now 23 in round 1. This was what i was always trying to avoid, I didn't want nation being left out

Well, my bad, I guess I misread the original post, linking it to my own issue. Now I get it, thanks for clarifying

I'm managing a very long-term fm custom db for a french community which we update every season (on cherche encore quelques clubs d'ailleurs, si jamais - Still looking for a few clubs )

I feel i'm too far now to revert this season. And in the end if it all comes down to choosing between replacing Gibraltar or kicking Kazakhstan out, it might not be worth the hassle

Thanks for your answers !

Edited by Kaizer FSF

I've tried to put an Asian team in Oceania, and I've had an error message concerning U20 Asian Cup.

I've also tried to use 2021 files, and Russia was back in Nations league. But the Euro qualifications never began. And Russia wasn't participating in WC qualifications.

Edited by Monsi9958

On 09/05/2023 at 01:21, Kaizer FSF said:

Apart from editing names in the editor: 
In the Football Manager 2023 folder there is a folder named languages, containing example.ltf where you can translate other stuff
Maybe you should look into this

Thanks for the tip. I have looked for it, but haven't found something yet.

• 1 month later...

Hello.  I came looking to see if there was a fix to this issue as I noticed a location mess up on my custom nation database, but I can't verify the file due to the extra team in the Asian World Cup Qualifying.  

I understand that you don't want a Nation missing out, and setting an Asian nation to no continent does cause other issues with Asian national competitions.  But has anyone managed to create a work around that will allow a custom European nation file to verify that removed a minnow of Asian from competing in national competitions without heavy editing to other competitions, such as this screen shot from when I tried to remove Northern Mariana Islands?

image.thumb.png.7b7c9eb2029691c88d65adedd6a75c59.png

On 09/05/2023 at 16:49, nasaiain said:

You could say my title is a bit misleading, the file DOES work, but its DOES NOT work correctly.

Kazakhstan get moved over, and a new nation plays in Europe no problem. But it results in a random Asian team missing out in the World Cup and Asia Cup Qualifiers because it is drawing 22 teams out of a pool of now 23 in round 1. This was what i was always trying to avoid, I didn't want nation being left out

I am still running some tests, but so far the best work around I have found is to change Kazakhstan's (or what ever European nation you have selected to remove)  continent to Oceania and also remove their FIFA membership.  From the quick tests I have done so far this stops Kazakhstan from entering Oceania international competitions, and they just play friendlies.  The Oceania Champions League seems to be hard coded so no Kazakhstan teams have entered those.

If you leave the FFA membership ticked, Kazakhstan do enter the Oceania Nations Cup, World Cup Qualifying and the Pacific Games.  

I did try to move Kazakhstan to Asia and an Asian nations that are close to Oceania, but every time I had the issue with the Under 20 qualifying as above.  I even tried keeping Kazakhstan in UEFA and due to proximity move Israel to Africa, but that also caused issues with qualifying.  

It's not an ideal situation, but this is the best work around to the update I have found.  

My custom nations files are merged with the 'Custom nation is Europe (cis)' file, so this is why I need a work around, as I can't get my nation verified without errors.  Even trying to remove the fixes just leads to other issues with other competitions.  

Edited by thundercracker

• 2 months later...