Instant Result

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, error username in use said:

Is there such a button in this version?

Mobile doesn't have an instant result button at present, there are a few reasons for this:

* The matches are very quick to play out if you crank up the speed and go 'commentary only' with 'key events'
* If you allow users to effectively 'skip' matches when things go badly then they tend to lose interest in a season and the connection with their players, which actually hurts enjoyment in the long-term.

PS - That being said I'm open to potentially considering such an option in a future game if lots of people request it.

I think holiday for a day could solve this need IF it used the currently selected team (expect for anyone who is injured, banned or below 90% condition) AND simulated it properly, using the tactic etc. But at the moment it changes the players to whoever it wants/thinks best and at least feels like it's a quick auto-calculation of the result rather than a simulation.

16 horas atrás, StephenCronin disse:

I think holiday for a day could solve this need IF it used the currently selected team (expect for anyone who is injured, banned or below 90% condition) AND simulated it properly, using the tactic etc. But at the moment it changes the players to whoever it wants/thinks best and at least feels like it's a quick auto-calculation of the result rather than a simulation.

If only it kept out actual player selection then yeah I would consider it a instant result workaround but it doesn't. I wouldn't mind a instant result option for those end of season matches where everything is decided but you want to give some match experience to some players for example but don't want to be bothered playing the game(s). If you go on holiday the AI whoever they think it's best so it isn't the same. 

The option is available on touch and all the years I've played touch must have used a dozen times, still good to have it. 

Edited by Hildor

Oh and also, would love if the Assistant Manager taking control of friendlies used the currently selected team and did a proper simulation too - it seems like they do what they want at the moment. I really don't want to watch friendlies, but sometimes I want my promising young striker to play even though he may not normally be selected, or I want to rest my older striker and save him for the season - but the AM does his own thing and the only way to make sure I get the selection I want is to take control myself.

I'm sure that in earlier games (I'm talking CM01/02??) you used to be able to select some players and tell the assistant to prioritise those picks where possible. You could also set the formation and tactics the assistant would use. 

It was great to set it running and come back at the end of the season to find out what happened.

2 hours ago, Neb said:

It was great to set it running and come back at the end of the season to find out what happened.

Pretty sure that's exactly why it's not set up to work like that because that was how we broke the game!!

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2022 at 22:24, StephenCronin said:

I could be wrong but if you go on holiday (i.e. leave the game to your assistant manager), then you don't get accredited for any win and you're not considered for any manager of the month or season awards. Also its the assistant manager's tactics that are used.

Whereas if you use instant result, your tactics are applied and impact the result, hence you're in line for manager of the month and season awards.

On 10/11/2022 at 12:55, Marc Vaughan said:

Mobile doesn't have an instant result button at present, there are a few reasons for this:

* The matches are very quick to play out if you crank up the speed and go 'commentary only' with 'key events'
* If you allow users to effectively 'skip' matches when things go badly then they tend to lose interest in a season and the connection with their players, which actually hurts enjoyment in the long-term.

PS - That being said I'm open to potentially considering such an option in a future game if lots of people request it.

Yes please - the option should at least be there. As a mobile game, players should be able to steamroll through their games on their devices if they're on the move etc.

On 17/12/2022 at 00:26, daherlihy said:

I could be wrong but if you go on holiday (i.e. leave the game to your assistant manager), then you don't get accredited for any win and you're not considered for any manager of the month or season awards. Also its the assistant manager's tactics that are used.

Whereas if you use instant result, your tactics are applied and impact the result, hence you're in line for manager of the month and season awards.

Yeah, you're not accredited with any wins etc when you holiday. But there is no instant result (in mobile), so you can't use that and be accredited...

I'd love if they added Instant, but what I was saying that if they don't want to do that for whatever reason, then I'd take then getting the holiday feature to use my tactics, my selected players and simulate it based on that. It probably should do that anyway.

I've tested the Go on Holiday feature in FMM and can confirm actually that you can get Manager of the Month/Season awards using it. I can't find any indications however, as @StephenCronin said above, that your tactics/formations are used (I could try harder on this actually with exaggerated formations). Squad selections definitely aren't used unfortunately.

• 4 months later...

Hello @Marc Vaughan, it would be so nice if it had instant result. It is a function that goes well with the proposal of the mobile game. It would bring the necessary dynamics and speed for those who play for a few minutes, but want to have the depth of having played the game for several years. Among other advantages such as: testing a mode more focused on the director of the club (I myself much prefer to take care of financial management, the evolution of young players, buying and selling than the matches themselves).

Damn, seriously, it's been a wish for years. It would be so nice, if you can say that you'll think fondly about...

(I am using a translator)

• SI Staff

Its something I've seriously considered over the years - the issue with quick result is that it tends to disconnect people from the game and their players, for example you're hoping to win the league but things go badly in your first 4 matches and you start hitting 'instant result to hurry along to the next transfer window as this season is a bust, when you reach it you've not really got any idea who has been performing for you beyond their stats and they're reduced to just numbers with no idea of how they've truly behaved.

In contrast some of my most fun experiences have been where things have gone 'wrong' initially and I've been so upset with my midfielders poor performances that I've benched him and put on a 16 year old youth player who comes good ... a star being born, if I'd been 'quick resulting' then that would never have happened because he'd have never got the chance.

(so not saying 'never' but there are reasons its not present)

@Marc Vaughan I understand your view...

With me it's different, the delay of the matches (the time of the game itself) is what makes me let go. I can't dedicate much time to the game in my day to day life, while I love building a legacy on the teams I manage, doing crazy challenges, but when I think about the time needed for that, I end up giving up. For me, the fun of the game is not in the games after a while (let's face it, after the game is revealed, the AI loses a lot of competitiveness...).

I believe it would greatly please users with little time, but intense like me. I could do so many challenges!!

Since you think this would detract from the overall player experience, make it a paid option (the editor is something that influences much more, but as it is paid it does not ruin the overall experience). It would solve the problem you mentioned and give the option of choice to those who want it. I only see advantages :).

Edited by brunotoddy

19 minutes ago, brunotoddy said:

@Marc Vaughan I understand your view...

With me it's different, the delay of the matches (the time of the game itself) is what makes me let go. I can't dedicate much time to the game in my day to day life, while I love building a legacy on the teams I manage, doing crazy challenges, but when I think about the time needed for that, I end up giving up. For me, the fun of the game is not in the games after a while (let's face it, after the game is revealed, the AI loses a lot of competitiveness...).

I believe it would greatly please users with little time, but intense like me. I could do so many challenges!!

Since you think this would detract from the overall player experience, make it a paid option (the editor is something that influences much more, but as it is paid it does not ruin the overall experience). It would solve the problem you mentioned and give the option of choice to those who want it. I only see advantages :).

I have to agree with this - I've a job, wife, two kids and very little me-time.

So I love being able to build a squad in that time and fly through the games to see what impact I have. I do find it intriguing and want to come back. Whereas I find it grinding and unfulfilling having to play each and every game.

Each to their own for sure, but this is a thing, a way to play. So I don't see what's wrong with giving people the option to play that way too.

Edited by daherlihy

• SI Staff
53 minutes ago, daherlihy said:

I have to agree with this - I've a job, wife, two kids and very little me-time.

So I love being able to build a squad in that time and fly through the games to see what impact I have. I do find it intriguing and want to come back. Whereas I find it grinding and unfulfilling having to play each and every game.

Each to their own for sure, but this is a thing, a way to play. So I don't see what's wrong with giving people the option to play that way too.

If I do it - I'm leaning towards making it a separate game mode so that people who are playing normally aren't tempted by it for the reasons I indicated - eg. make it a 'chairman' mode or similar .. would that suit you?

4 minutes ago, Marc Vaughan said:

If I do it - I'm leaning towards making it a separate game mode so that people who are playing normally aren't tempted by it for the reasons I indicated - eg. make it a 'chairman' mode or similar .. would that suit you?

I don't think there's a need to do that - that could be a lot of additional unnecessary work. We all want the same experiences without having to grind through ALL matches. So adding 1 feature to the existing game would be a win-win, and then let the players decide for themselves. Plus we like to see how our tactics do with simulated/instant results as a Manager too.

Edited by daherlihy

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, daherlihy said:

I don't think there's a need to do that - that could be a lot of additional unnecessary work. We all want the same experiences without having to grind through ALL matches. So adding 1 feature to the existing game would be a win-win, and then let the players decide for themselves. Plus we like to see how our tactics do with simulated/instant results as a Manager too.

I'll think about it - but as explained earlier there are downsides to including it in the game as well as upsides.

(and yes it'd be a tad more complicated, but equally this isn't something that could appear overnight - adding this isn't quite as simple as you might think)

20 minutos atrás, Marc Vaughan disse:

Vou pensar sobre isso - mas, como explicado anteriormente, há desvantagens em incluí-lo no jogo, bem como vantagens.

(e sim, seria um pouco mais complicado, mas também não é algo que possa aparecer da noite para o dia - adicionar isso não é tão simples quanto você pode pensar)

Wow, just put it as a paid option. That would do.

I don't know how difficult it would be to add this function to the game, but, in my opinion, it makes perfect sense with the proposal of the mobile version.

I promise this is my last message on the subject, it's amazing how approachable you are to us players.

(this is my last message, but if the other players can give their respective opinions, I know that many would like to have this function available. Let's make some noise kkkk)

I’m also part of the group with little time who would probably get more hooked in my saves with such a feature. I frequently don’t have a lot of time to play and get tired of saves when they don’t advance fast enough to see much change during the time at my disposal. I like to play full matches when trying out new tactics, integrating new players or in really high-stakes game but in the average season there are a lot of games I’d like to use instant result for, especially after the first 1-2 seasons of a save. Now I try simulating at times but since the squad selection is rather random and the  results much less realistic it makes me abandon the save and lose motivation to start a new one in the near future.

When I’ve previously posted about this there has always been judgmental people saying I shouldn’t play the game if I want to skip past some matches, but I’m glad to see there are others with similar preferences and that you are at least open to the idea Marc. 

Yeah it would make me play the game more, now it doesn’t always feel worthwhile to load the game if I only have 10-15 minutes because the progress is slow when I’m eager to move ahead with the career.

I'm in the camp of wanting instant results - letting users get through seasons quicker would definitely be useful for many people.

The quickest I can get through a season (playing quite a lot) is 2 days. If I'm playing less it will be 4 or 5 days or even longer. Sometimes I'm totally fine with that. Sometimes I want to get through it quicker.

By the way, I've always suspected that it's quicker to get through a season on iOS than on Android, based on the times I've seen Marc (who I think is on iOS) say it takes him to get through a season vs what I get on Android. 

@Marc Vaughan - Please do NOT make it a separate mode, unless there is a way to switch modes for the same save file. Here is a scenario I face a lot: For the first couple of seasons, I'm building the squad, fine tuning the tactic and generally going deep on everything, so I want to play every game. By season 10 I've won the league 8 times in a row and I really don't need to watch every game. I'm happy to dip in every so often and see how it's going and to watch key matches. Having to go through every game is a drag. But that changes depending on the stage of the save, so I really need both for the one save file. 

I don't quite buy the reasoning for not adding it (people disconnecting from the game), because:

• Having to play every game is a disconnect in it's own right - The longest save I've had this year has been 6 seasons - by that point it's such a slog that I generally lose interest and wander off and play a different game (not FMM) for a while.
  • If people want to "hurry along to the next transfer window as this season is a bust", then they are just going to use Go On Holiday and that is even more of a disconnect as it doesn't respect the user's team selection or tactics (and if you're serious about the reasoning, then you better remove Go On Holiday!). 

Sorry! Not having a go, but I just can't see much in the way of negatives. 

If you want to discourage use, then just make it clear that you're more likely to get a good result if you play in detail and watch the game. I think it's fair that results via Instant Result are likely to be slightly worse because you're not picking up what the other team is doing or adjusting or making optimal subs etc etc. In fact I think it should be the case that a managed game gives a better result than an instant result one (not too much though).

Anyway, as always, thanks for making a great game!

On 28/04/2023 at 16:03, brunotoddy said:

Wow, just put it as a paid option. That would do.

I don't know how difficult it would be to add this function to the game, but, in my opinion, it makes perfect sense with the proposal of the mobile version.

I promise this is my last message on the subject, it's amazing how approachable you are to us players.

(this is my last message, but if the other players can give their respective opinions, I know that many would like to have this function available. Let's make some noise kkkk)

An advantage of making this a paid option (aside from generating revenue) is that the developers could track how widely used this option is. Personally, I enjoy watching my players perform and would actually appreciate the chance to simulate a full match every now and then. That said, I can appreciate what other people are saying about wanting to save time and focus on squad building.

This is a good discussion thread with a number of interesting points raised.

On 05/05/2023 at 10:29, StephenCronin said:

I'm in the camp of wanting instant results - letting users get through seasons quicker would definitely be useful for many people.

The quickest I can get through a season (playing quite a lot) is 2 days. If I'm playing less it will be 4 or 5 days or even longer. Sometimes I'm totally fine with that. Sometimes I want to get through it quicker.

By the way, I've always suspected that it's quicker to get through a season on iOS than on Android, based on the times I've seen Marc (who I think is on iOS) say it takes him to get through a season vs what I get on Android. 

@Marc Vaughan - Please do NOT make it a separate mode, unless there is a way to switch modes for the same save file. Here is a scenario I face a lot: For the first couple of seasons, I'm building the squad, fine tuning the tactic and generally going deep on everything, so I want to play every game. By season 10 I've won the league 8 times in a row and I really don't need to watch every game. I'm happy to dip in every so often and see how it's going and to watch key matches. Having to go through every game is a drag. But that changes depending on the stage of the save, so I really need both for the one save file. 

I don't quite buy the reasoning for not adding it (people disconnecting from the game), because:

• Having to play every game is a disconnect in it's own right - The longest save I've had this year has been 6 seasons - by that point it's such a slog that I generally lose interest and wander off and play a different game (not FMM) for a while.
  • If people want to "hurry along to the next transfer window as this season is a bust", then they are just going to use Go On Holiday and that is even more of a disconnect as it doesn't respect the user's team selection or tactics (and if you're serious about the reasoning, then you better remove Go On Holiday!). 

Sorry! Not having a go, but I just can't see much in the way of negatives. 

If you want to discourage use, then just make it clear that you're more likely to get a good result if you play in detail and watch the game. I think it's fair that results via Instant Result are likely to be slightly worse because you're not picking up what the other team is doing or adjusting or making optimal subs etc etc. In fact I think it should be the case that a managed game gives a better result than an instant result one (not too much though).

Anyway, as always, thanks for making a great game!

Sometimes if I am starting a save with a lower league club, I want to speed through the first season with a focus on scouting because I know I am going to be clearing out the majority of the squad and replacing them with free agents the following summer. 

I used to enjoy that feature on Premier Manager 98, I see the merits of it being paid feature. Personally fast commentary only gets me tbrough when rushing, but completely understand desire on mobile for instant result,some good points made. I wouldn't want it to come at the expense of dumbing down the game though.

• 2 weeks later...

My answer is pretty simple. Yes.

Let the people decide if they want to use that feature and how often.

If there is any reason for "vocation", then there are much more reasons for an instant result button.

The current situation looks pretty same, but for people like me it's frustrating and it's just a poor version of skipping matches.

We need an option to skip matches using our tactics and lineup instead of generating stupid results.

Also full match info and maybe some options like pregame&postgame press etc.. 

It's probably the most important feature, especially for the mobile version, that I could think about.

Thanks 🙏

Edited by noamch1997

• 3 months later...