Frankfurt Inspired 3/5-ATB

Hello,

I've recently started a new save with Bath City. Usually I play a possession based 433 with a DLP in my saves, but having been impressed with Eintracht Frankfurt on their journey to winning the Europa League, I wanted to experiment in new save with a 3/5 atb formation with Kostic and Knauff like wing-backs that provide a really menacing counter-attacking threat with both wing-backs providing goals and assists. Similarly I've set of with a direct counter-attacking system. 

My question really relates to the role of the wing-backs. The game defaults a 3-atb formation as having WMs in these positions, I have experimented with Defensive Wingers on support. I have also experimented with pulling the wing-backs back into a 5-atb with them as WB/CWB on attack.

I've not really seen many saves of people using the game's default 3atb further forward wide midfielders/defensive wingers, to me it WB/CWB on attack seems much closer to real life. 

Is a 3-atb with midfielders instead of wing-backs football manager suicide? If so, why does the game default to it if you select 3atb rather than 5atb?

What are the key differences between how each position/role affects your team?

What would you recommend?

I've attached screenshots of my team.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 13.57.05.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 13.57.28.png

Yes,  I am surprised no one mentioning about this kind of formation set up. 

image.png.14de6ad4388998d31f38cbb0f86b9c6c.png

I prefer using midfielders instead of wingbacks, also I would use the setting of WM (Attack or Auto)  with player instructions (forward run, dribble more, cut inside, roam)  to make him play like a inverted winger.  

So when attack, i want to look like this

image.thumb.jpeg.57883684f015a2d1822687d1d1adb016.jpeg

I think some of the teams that use 3 CB, e.g. Man City, Chelsea and Inter Milan....their positions are like this when they attack.

With this formation, it is not suicidal but you expect your flanks  will be under attack by the opposition wing backs + wingers. 

However, with the right tactical style + team instructions+ player instructions, you can still get a good result.  

This is my preference anyway, I prefer 2 attacking style inverted wingers / wide midfielders rather than the defensive style complete wing back / wing backs. 

I only put on the complete wing back / wing back when I am 2-0 up.  

1 hour ago, kayyuenchinup said:

Yes,  I am surprised no one mentioning about this kind of formation set up. 

image.png.14de6ad4388998d31f38cbb0f86b9c6c.png

I prefer using midfielders instead of wingbacks, also I would use the setting of WM (Attack or Auto)  with player instructions (forward run, dribble more, cut inside, roam)  to make him play like a inverted winger.  

So when attack, i want to look like this

image.thumb.jpeg.57883684f015a2d1822687d1d1adb016.jpeg

I think some of the teams that use 3 CB, e.g. Man City, Chelsea and Inter Milan....their positions are like this when they attack.

With this formation, it is not suicidal but you expect your flanks  will be under attack by the opposition wing backs + wingers. 

However, with the right tactical style + team instructions+ player instructions, you can still get a good result.  

This is my preference anyway, I prefer 2 attacking style inverted wingers / wide midfielders rather than the defensive style complete wing back / wing backs. 

I only put on the complete wing back / wing back when I am 2-0 up.  

How does the rest of your tactic (Team & player instructions) look like?

23 hours ago, SLHammer said:

Hello,

I've recently started a new save with Bath City. Usually I play a possession based 433 with a DLP in my saves, but having been impressed with Eintracht Frankfurt on their journey to winning the Europa League, I wanted to experiment in new save with a 3/5 atb formation with Kostic and Knauff like wing-backs that provide a really menacing counter-attacking threat with both wing-backs providing goals and assists. Similarly I've set of with a direct counter-attacking system. 

My question really relates to the role of the wing-backs. The game defaults a 3-atb formation as having WMs in these positions, I have experimented with Defensive Wingers on support. I have also experimented with pulling the wing-backs back into a 5-atb with them as WB/CWB on attack.

I've not really seen many saves of people using the game's default 3atb further forward wide midfielders/defensive wingers, to me it WB/CWB on attack seems much closer to real life. 

Is a 3-atb with midfielders instead of wing-backs football manager suicide? If so, why does the game default to it if you select 3atb rather than 5atb?

What are the key differences between how each position/role affects your team?

What would you recommend?

I've attached screenshots of my team.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 13.57.05.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 13.57.28.png

I'd probably have the middle defender on a cover duty - especially where you're forcing the opposition outside, which is likely to drag the LCB/RCB's out of position if the oppo get in behind the wing backs. 

I'd also think carefully about having both WB's on Attack duty as in the first screenshot. Attack duty means that when your team has the ball the WBs starting position would be much higher up the pitch. You might want to drop one to support to give the CB's an option to play out to, or potentially add a BPD to the defence of a playmaker into the middle who can drop in and collect the ball. 

2 小时前, JoOSTAR说:

How does the rest of your tactic (Team & player instructions) look like?

I change the setting based on the opponent.  

@Experienced Defenderand @bababooey's articles inspired how I set up the tactics.    

image.png.1c8c907a35a23637061bb3f790fcb02b.png

Tactical style and team instruction setting (my understanding only, not a guide)

No setting on Width, Passing, Tempo and the final third pre match, adjust when watching the match.  When losing the match and losing the possession, narrow and shorter pass, lower tempo.  When losing but with more possession, wider and direct pass, higher tempo.  

I want to build up from the back, so play out of defence + goalkeeper short kicks + distribute to the centre backs. 

I want to focus our attack through the flanks so focus both flanks, based on the opponent team report, if they concede goals in the middle so underlap left and right, if they concede goals through the flank so overlap left and right.  If they concede goals from through ball, then pass into space.  

Based on the opponent team report, if they score goals through the flank, then force them inside, if they score goals through the middle, force them outside.  

Depend on the opponent, if I want to draw them out, choose counter and lower line of engagement.  If I want to play pressing, choose counter press + counter, then standard/ higher line of engagement plus all Forwards and Midfielders personal instructions add close down and tackle hard to do the high press.   

Player instructions - depend how I want them to play / how I think they would play in real life

Leno - take more risks pass

Tomiyasu - stay wider

Pepe - Dribble more, cut inside, shoot more, roam 

Smith Rowe - Dribble more, cut inside, roam

Xhaka - more direct pass, take more risks pass, close down more and tackle hard

Partey - close down more and tackle hard, roam

Odegaard - More direct passes, take more risks pass, dribble more, shoot more, roam

Martinelli - roam

Lacazette - DLF AT when counter, PF AT when play counter press roam

I just like the attack players to roam.   

In my personal experiments, 3 at the back with wide midfielders is defensively much worse than 3 at the back with wingbacks. And 3 at the back with wingbacks is almost always offensively inferior to 4 at the back formations. But in FM22, you can win with any formation, provided you get the other stuff correct (team building, morale management, training, etc.).

My favourite 3 at the back formation in FM22 uses 2 aggressive DMs (ex. SV + RPM) and three attacking players.