FM22: Latin America and the Caribbean

Tikka Mezzala

This is a thread to discuss competitions, teams and players based in Latin America and the Caribbean. 

I hope we're lucky enough again this year to have the competitions that are not in the original database added via our talented and dedicated editors. It would also be fantastic to have lower league databases for the likes of Brazil and Argentina that would allow us to delve into the depths of those rich footballing countries. 

I've had a look around the original database and there are some interesting clubs to manage in South America, with some national heroes returning home. Here are some picks:

Peru

Alianza Lima - Despite being one of the country's biggest clubs, the Peruvian giants finished 18th in 2020, meaning you'd be taking over a club in need of a turnaround in fortunes. Their last title win came in 2017, which for a club their size is unacceptable. The return of Jefferson Farfan to Alianza could be the catalyst for change, as the Peruvian football legend hopes to bow out gracefully by restoring his favourite club to their throne. 

Cusco FC - A club based in the historical capital of Peru, Cusco FC began life twelve years ago as Real Garcilaso FC. With only one national competition win (Copa Peru in 2011), the club is waiting to create a more storied history. Having finished runners up in the Peruvian top flight in 2012, 2013, and 2017, it feels like it is only a matter of time before the historic city of Cusco has a national champion. 

Universitario - Peru's most decorated club begin the season on minus twenty-four points, threatening their First Division status. With a record twenty-six titles to their name, it is a huge surprise that Universitario haven't tasted national glory since 2013. Keeping them out of danger will be the initial task, but then it will come down to getting the club back to the top of Peruvian football, with a view to challenging the bigger clubs in South American football one day. 

Colombia

Atletico Nacional - When I was in Colombia a few years ago, the badge of Atletico Nacional followed me everywhere. Based in Medellin, they are the record holder for number of Colombian titles won with sixteen. They also have two Libertadores titles from 1989 and 2016. But recently they have fallen down the pecking order, with their last title coming in the Apertura tournament of 2017. The club has a very productive academy. Former player Dorlan Pabon returned from Monterrey in Mexico for the new season, so they can draw upon his experience and quality as they look to reclaim their place in Colombian and South American football. 

Deportivo Cali - Having watched America de Cali return from the ashes to claim the last two titles, Deportivo are in need of a spark. The club haven't lifted an Apertura or a Clausura championship since 2015. Like Atletico, they have an impressive youth setup, but the experienced duo of Harold Preciado and Teo Gutierrez look the best bet for success. 

Envigado - Based in the same region as Atletico Nacional, Envigado have often fed their larger neighbours with bright prospects. They are a club renowned for producing local talent, and can boast the introduction of Giovanni Moreno, James Rodriguez, and Juan Quintero, among others, to Colombian football. Favoured son Fredy Guarin is actually a free agent at the beginning of the save, so perhaps a homecoming is in order. Despite the impressive production line, the club have no real success to speak of, with second division honours being the only silverware to their name. London-born George Saunders is on the Envigado books. 

Once Caldas, Deportivo Pereira & Deportivo Quindio - If you like drinking coffee while you play football manager, why not manage one of the clubs from the Zona Cafetera, Colombia's coffee growing region. These three contest the Cafetero Derbies (literally, 'the coffee derbies'). Between them there are only two Colombian national titles (one for Once Caldas (1950) and one for Deportivo Quindio (1956)). But Once Caldas did bring continental silverware to the region in 2004 when they shocked the continent with a Copa Libertadores triumph. Not bad for a club that haven't won the Colombian title since 1950!

Uruguay

Defensor Sporting - One of Uruguay's biggest clubs and most productive academies find themselves in the second tier of Uruguayan football. That in itself makes this an appealing save for anyone who wants to turn around the fortunes of a historic club. You will be joined in the second division by Danubio, a fierce local rival who also find themselves down on their luck. This should make the race for promotion and the second division title quite spicy. Once you return the club to top flight football, good luck breaking the Nacional/Penarol duopoly, a dominance that is rarely breached. 

Danubio - If you prefer the other side of this Montevideo rivalry, then Danubio offer much of the same incentives as Defensor Sporting. A big Uruguayan club playing in the second division alongside their bitter rivals. Danubio were the last club other than Penarol or Nacional to win the First Division in 2014. It is the club that gave the world Edison Cavani. 

Chile

Santiago Wanderers - Despite their name, they actually hail from the port-city of Valparaiso, contesting the Porteno derby with Everton (CHI). They also happen to be Latin America's oldest football club, so it's one for the history buffs. They only recently returned from the second division and will take quite a bit of building up to add to their three titles (1958, 1968, 2001), but the challenge of taking the oldest club in the region to international success is appealing. 

Universidad de Chile and Colo Colo - Both of these teams make up the biggest fixture in the country: the Superclasico. But both have been overshadowed by their other rival, Universidad de Catolica, in the previous three seasons. Both clubs boast a proud history and many great players have come through their ranks. The challenge here has got to be winning the title again and then pushing for continental success, all while trying to bring through the next great Chilean player. 

Brazil

Botafogo and Vasco de Gama - Both of these Rio giants find themselves in Serie B. Not a good look for the clubs that gave us Romario, Jairzinho, Garrincha etc. It's another save in which a fallen giant must be rescued from their decline, and the opportunity to bring through some Brazilian newgens ain't bad either. 

Cruzeiro - It is perhaps quite lucky that there are four promotion berths in Serie B, because another of the country's big clubs find themselves down in the second tier. Cruzeiro won back to back Serie A titles in 2013-2014, and back to back Brazilian Cups in 2017-2018, but the club were relegated in 2019 and finished 11th in Serie B in 2020. This speaks to the competitiveness of the league as much as it does the decline of Cruzeiro. In real life, Cruzeiro's arch rivals Atletico Mineiro look likely to win Serie A, which makes it all the more painful for Cruzeiro to be languishing in 13th in the second tier. 

Sao Paulo - When I started to get into South American football, Sao Paulo were huge. But the club have failed to lift the Serie A title since 2008! The club have won six national titles (the record is ten), three Libertadores titles, and a Club World Championship in 2005. But this is all trading on past glories. A fourth placed finish last year is their best showing since 2015. But it's still a club with the infrastructure to be what it once was. Definitely an enticing save. 

Argentina

Estudiantes (LP) - 2011 was the last time Estudiantes (LP) won the Argentine Primera title. But this is perhaps the biggest club outside of the Buenos Aires 'big five', with four Libertadores crowns to its name, and a remarkable list of ex-players and managers, including: Juan Sebastian Veron, Carlos Bilardo, Osvaldo Zubeldia, Juan Ramon Veron, Alejandro Sabella, Miguel Angel Russo, Martin Palermo, and Diego Simeone. What a cast to follow. 

Newell's Old Boys - A club that lives up to its name, with a team full of veterans such as Maxi Rodriquez, Ignacio Scocco, Pablo Perez, Fernando Belluschi, Jonathan Cristaldo, and Cristian Lerma. There are some bright prospects mixed in with these older heads, so the chance for some serious mentoring is there. But can a team of oldies give one last hurrah before the squad is rebuilt? Newell's is also the club synonymous with Bielsa and his disciples. Become a Bielsa disciple yourself and start out with the Rosario club that named their stadium after him. 

Independiente - One of the 'big five' in Argentina, Independiente are the record holders for most Libertadores titles won. But the last one came in 1984, and their last league title came in 2003. Two Sudamericana wins in 2010 and 2017 are all they have to show for their recent efforts, but this is a club performing well below its historical precedent. Managing Independiente also means you'll get four absolutely huge derbies to contest every season against River, Boca, San Lorenzo, and local nemesis Racing Club. 

Mexico

Chivas Guadalajara - Since winning the opening stage in 2006, Chivas have only won the Mexican first division title once, which is quite remarkable when you consider there are two titles to play for every single year, and they are only surpassed by Club America in number of titles won. It is a club performing well below its historical average in other words. One of the challenges of Chivas is their transfer policy of Mexican only players. This means you will be relying on the famed youth academy, which remains in a good state. You will also contest the biggest match in Mexico: the Clasicos de Clasicos against Club America. 

Club America - The record holder for number of titles won, Club America is a Mexican powerhouse. But despite its record, it hasn't been dominant in recent years by any stretch of the imagination. Playing out of the famous Azteca Stadium, the club has managed to attract some excellent players from Central and South America over the years, including Christian Benitez, Claudio Lopez, Salvador Cabanas, and Dario Benedetto. 

These are just the league available from the start of the game. But once the databases for Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia, Paraguay, and the rest of Central America and the Caribbean become available, there will be many more interesting save ideas. 

Great topic! I would also add more Brazilian clubs into the mix:

RB Bragantino = The newest club in the Red Bull network, they are riding high on this year's Série A and the tendency is to keep going! 

Fortaleza = Currently the biggest overachievers in Série A, they had their best place as runner-up in the 60s and won the Série B title in 2018 just in time for their 100 year anniversary!

Cuiabá = Founded in 2001, it's the youngest club in Série A and doing well so far avoiding relegation in their debut season, it's host to World Cup 2014's stadium Arena Pantanal!

Ponte Preta = The second oldest Brazilian football club that's still running, yet never managed to win a trophy despite getting to finals (São Paulo state championship is tough)!

20 minutes ago, shimera said:

Ponte Preta = The second oldest Brazilian football club that's still running, yet never managed to win a trophy despite getting to finals (São Paulo state championship is tough)!

This sounds like a great challenge. A bit like Santiago Wanderers in Chile. So many years, so little trophies. 

The nice thing about Brazil is the ability to climb in terms of achievements: try and become State champions, then national champions, then continental champions. 

47 minutos atrás, Tikka Mezzala disse:

This sounds like a great challenge. A bit like Santiago Wanderers in Chile. So many years, so little trophies. 

The nice thing about Brazil is the ability to climb in terms of achievements: try and become State champions, then national champions, then continental champions. 

Brazil has many historical clubs (especially thanks to state championships and national cups)! Here's a few lower league clubs:

São Caetano = This club was the biggest surprise of the early 2000s, they came from nowhere, managed to be Série A runner-ups twice (2000 and 2001) and once finalists of Copa Libertadores in 2002 where they lost on penalties to Olimpia - at least they got a São Paulo state trophy in 2004!

Portuguesa = Very traditional club of Portuguese immigrants, their passionate fans miss the times when the club was competitive in Série A (like when they got to the final in '96 but lost to Grêmio's best team ever that triumphed over then Champions League winners Borussia Dortmund). Nowadays has one of the biggest debts in Brazilian football!

Pérolas Negras = This young club is unique because they were created to help refugees from Haiti, they are currently the only Brazilian club in FM that has foreign youth intakes (though Haitians doesn't count as foreigners in the football league)!

Edited by shimera

33 minutes ago, shimera said:

Brazil has many historical clubs (especially thanks to state championships and national cups)! Here's a few lower league clubs:

São Caetano = This club was the biggest surprise of the early 2000s, they came from nowhere, managed to be Série A runner-ups twice (2000 and 2001) and once finalists of Copa Libertadores in 2002 where they lost on penalties to Olimpia - at least they got a São Paulo state trophy in 2004!

Portuguesa = Very traditional club of Portuguese immigrants, their passionate fans miss the times when the club was competitive in Série A (like when they got to the final in '96 but lost to Grêmio's best team ever that triumphed over then Champions League winners Borussia Dortmund). Nowadays has one of the biggest debts in Brazilian football!

Pérolas Negras = This young club is unique because they were created to help refugees from Haiti, they are currently the only Brazilian club in FM that has foreign youth intakes (though Haitians doesn't count as foreigners in the football league)!

It's a country that is dripping with footballing folklore. 

This is why we need a good Brazilian lower leagues database. There will be many clubs that have good histories within their respective state tournaments, but maybe fall outwith the top three tiers of the game. I know it's quite hard to replicate the way the system works at the lowest levels, but it has been done in the past. 

A few years ago I watched a travel show about food in Latin America, and one of the episodes was in Salvador. It was so colourful and vibrant. I immediately wanted to know which clubs represented it and do a save there. Vitoria and Bahia were the major clubs from the city and I've managed both since. Will probably work my way there again in this edition. 

2 horas atrás, Tikka Mezzala disse:

It's a country that is dripping with footballing folklore. 

This is why we need a good Brazilian lower leagues database. There will be many clubs that have good histories within their respective state tournaments, but maybe fall outwith the top three tiers of the game. I know it's quite hard to replicate the way the system works at the lowest levels, but it has been done in the past. 

A few years ago I watched a travel show about food in Latin America, and one of the episodes was in Salvador. It was so colourful and vibrant. I immediately wanted to know which clubs represented it and do a save there. Vitoria and Bahia were the major clubs from the city and I've managed both since. Will probably work my way there again in this edition. 

Actually there is a certain Brazilian database that is pretty complete! It's called Brasil Mundi UP!

EDIT: Correct link - https://www.facebook.com/BrasilMundiUP

Edited by shimera
Wrong link

Nice post @Tikka Mezzala

I virtually never manage that side, but so many clubs over there with a rich history - and so many great young talents from all of those nations playing in their domestic leagues. I built a South American-influenced squad at a club in Poland a few years back (with players grabbed from Ecuador and Colombia leagues mixed in with the Polish ones) which was fun. This year the young prospects from over there is an enormously long list, even if you don't touch Brazil or Argentina. 

Plenty of good clubs named already and a few extras are Millonarios (who have a couple of hidden gems) and also Chapecoense of course. 

6 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Nice post @Tikka Mezzala

I virtually never manage that side, but so many clubs over there with a rich history - and so many great young talents from all of those nations playing in their domestic leagues. I built a South American-influenced squad at a club in Poland a few years back (with players grabbed from Ecuador and Colombia leagues mixed in with the Polish ones) which was fun. This year the young prospects from over there is an enormously long list, even if you don't touch Brazil or Argentina. 

Plenty of good clubs named already and a few extras are Millonarios (who have a couple of hidden gems) and also Chapecoense of course. 

Millonarios and Santa Fe would make good saves. Both based in Bogota, but haven't been doing as well as the clubs from Cali and Medellin of late. 

Big rivalry between them too, and I love being involved in a South American derby.

2 hours ago, The Art of Drowning said:

Trying a save with Botafogo on the beta now, mainly because I remember their wall of legends from when I went to Rio.  There are some good players in their Reserves and U20s so I'm trying to clear out some of the old players on big wages and get the prospects playing early to see how it goes.

The state tournaments are always good for bedding in younger players. 

Colombian football has welcomed the return of a third-tier to its football league structure after the Primera C tournament was re-established in 2021. During its first season, only one team will be promoted to the Primera B as an additional club, but from 2023 onwards there is going to be two promotions and two relegations, pending the approval of the professional body, Dimayor. 

The Primera C tournament has already gotten underway in real life and is made up of more than two-hundred teams divided into twenty-nine regional groups of between four and ten teams. Eighty-two teams qualify from the group phase to the knockout system that will ultimately decide the tournament champion (and promotion). 

I hope the addition of the Primera C will be possible once our editors get to work creating new databases for us to use. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2021 at 14:21, Tikka Mezzala said:

This is a thread to discuss competitions, teams and players based in Latin America and the Caribbean. 

I hope we're lucky enough again this year to have the competitions that are not in the original database added via our talented and dedicated editors. It would also be fantastic to have lower league databases for the likes of Brazil and Argentina that would allow us to delve into the depths of those rich footballing countries. 

I've had a look around the original database and there are some interesting clubs to manage in South America, with some national heroes returning home. Here are some picks:

Peru

Alianza Lima - Despite being one of the country's biggest clubs, the Peruvian giants finished 18th in 2020, meaning you'd be taking over a club in need of a turnaround in fortunes. Their last title win came in 2017, which for a club their size is unacceptable. The return of Jefferson Farfan to Alianza could be the catalyst for change, as the Peruvian football legend hopes to bow out gracefully by restoring his favourite club to their throne. 

Cusco FC - A club based in the historical capital of Peru, Cusco FC began life twelve years ago as Real Garcilaso FC. With only one national competition win (Copa Peru in 2011), the club is waiting to create a more storied history. Having finished runners up in the Peruvian top flight in 2012, 2013, and 2017, it feels like it is only a matter of time before the historic city of Cusco has a national champion. 

Universitario - Peru's most decorated club begin the season on minus twenty-four points, threatening their First Division status. With a record twenty-six titles to their name, it is a huge surprise that Universitario haven't tasted national glory since 2013. Keeping them out of danger will be the initial task, but then it will come down to getting the club back to the top of Peruvian football, with a view to challenging the bigger clubs in South American football one day. 

Colombia

Atletico Nacional - When I was in Colombia a few years ago, the badge of Atletico Nacional followed me everywhere. Based in Medellin, they are the record holder for number of Colombian titles won with sixteen. They also have two Libertadores titles from 1989 and 2016. But recently they have fallen down the pecking order, with their last title coming in the Apertura tournament of 2017. The club has a very productive academy. Former player Dorlan Pabon returned from Monterrey in Mexico for the new season, so they can draw upon his experience and quality as they look to reclaim their place in Colombian and South American football. 

Deportivo Cali - Having watched America de Cali return from the ashes to claim the last two titles, Deportivo are in need of a spark. The club haven't lifted an Apertura or a Clausura championship since 2015. Like Atletico, they have an impressive youth setup, but the experienced duo of Harold Preciado and Teo Gutierrez look the best bet for success. 

Envigado - Based in the same region as Atletico Nacional, Envigado have often fed their larger neighbours with bright prospects. They are a club renowned for producing local talent, and can boast the introduction of Giovanni Moreno, James Rodriguez, and Juan Quintero, among others, to Colombian football. Favoured son Fredy Guarin is actually a free agent at the beginning of the save, so perhaps a homecoming is in order. Despite the impressive production line, the club have no real success to speak of, with second division honours being the only silverware to their name. London-born George Saunders is on the Envigado books. 

Once Caldas, Deportivo Pereira & Deportivo Quindio - If you like drinking coffee while you play football manager, why not manage one of the clubs from the Zona Cafetera, Colombia's coffee growing region. These three contest the Cafetero Derbies (literally, 'the coffee derbies'). Between them there are only two Colombian national titles (one for Once Caldas (1950) and one for Deportivo Quindio (1956)). But Once Caldas did bring continental silverware to the region in 2004 when they shocked the continent with a Copa Libertadores triumph. Not bad for a club that haven't won the Colombian title since 1950!

Uruguay

Defensor Sporting - One of Uruguay's biggest clubs and most productive academies find themselves in the second tier of Uruguayan football. That in itself makes this an appealing save for anyone who wants to turn around the fortunes of a historic club. You will be joined in the second division by Danubio, a fierce local rival who also find themselves down on their luck. This should make the race for promotion and the second division title quite spicy. Once you return the club to top flight football, good luck breaking the Nacional/Penarol duopoly, a dominance that is rarely breached. 

Danubio - If you prefer the other side of this Montevideo rivalry, then Danubio offer much of the same incentives as Defensor Sporting. A big Uruguayan club playing in the second division alongside their bitter rivals. Danubio were the last club other than Penarol or Nacional to win the First Division in 2014. It is the club that gave the world Edison Cavani. 

Chile

Santiago Wanderers - Despite their name, they actually hail from the port-city of Valparaiso, contesting the Porteno derby with Everton (CHI). They also happen to be Latin America's oldest football club, so it's one for the history buffs. They only recently returned from the second division and will take quite a bit of building up to add to their three titles (1958, 1968, 2001), but the challenge of taking the oldest club in the region to international success is appealing. 

Universidad de Chile and Colo Colo - Both of these teams make up the biggest fixture in the country: the Superclasico. But both have been overshadowed by their other rival, Universidad de Catolica, in the previous three seasons. Both clubs boast a proud history and many great players have come through their ranks. The challenge here has got to be winning the title again and then pushing for continental success, all while trying to bring through the next great Chilean player. 

Brazil

Botafogo and Vasco de Gama - Both of these Rio giants find themselves in Serie B. Not a good look for the clubs that gave us Romario, Jairzinho, Garrincha etc. It's another save in which a fallen giant must be rescued from their decline, and the opportunity to bring through some Brazilian newgens ain't bad either. 

Cruzeiro - It is perhaps quite lucky that there are four promotion berths in Serie B, because another of the country's big clubs find themselves down in the second tier. Cruzeiro won back to back Serie A titles in 2013-2014, and back to back Brazilian Cups in 2017-2018, but the club were relegated in 2019 and finished 11th in Serie B in 2020. This speaks to the competitiveness of the league as much as it does the decline of Cruzeiro. In real life, Cruzeiro's arch rivals Atletico Mineiro look likely to win Serie A, which makes it all the more painful for Cruzeiro to be languishing in 13th in the second tier. 

Sao Paulo - When I started to get into South American football, Sao Paulo were huge. But the club have failed to lift the Serie A title since 2008! The club have won six national titles (the record is ten), three Libertadores titles, and a Club World Championship in 2005. But this is all trading on past glories. A fourth placed finish last year is their best showing since 2015. But it's still a club with the infrastructure to be what it once was. Definitely an enticing save. 

Argentina

Estudiantes (LP) - 2011 was the last time Estudiantes (LP) won the Argentine Primera title. But this is perhaps the biggest club outside of the Buenos Aires 'big five', with four Libertadores crowns to its name, and a remarkable list of ex-players and managers, including: Juan Sebastian Veron, Carlos Bilardo, Osvaldo Zubeldia, Juan Ramon Veron, Alejandro Sabella, Miguel Angel Russo, Martin Palermo, and Diego Simeone. What a cast to follow. 

Newell's Old Boys - A club that lives up to its name, with a team full of veterans such as Maxi Rodriquez, Ignacio Scocco, Pablo Perez, Fernando Belluschi, Jonathan Cristaldo, and Cristian Lerma. There are some bright prospects mixed in with these older heads, so the chance for some serious mentoring is there. But can a team of oldies give one last hurrah before the squad is rebuilt? Newell's is also the club synonymous with Bielsa and his disciples. Become a Bielsa disciple yourself and start out with the Rosario club that named their stadium after him. 

Independiente - One of the 'big five' in Argentina, Independiente are the record holders for most Libertadores titles won. But the last one came in 1984, and their last league title came in 2003. Two Sudamericana wins in 2010 and 2017 are all they have to show for their recent efforts, but this is a club performing well below its historical precedent. Managing Independiente also means you'll get four absolutely huge derbies to contest every season against River, Boca, San Lorenzo, and local nemesis Racing Club. 

Mexico

Chivas Guadalajara - Since winning the opening stage in 2006, Chivas have only won the Mexican first division title once, which is quite remarkable when you consider there are two titles to play for every single year, and they are only surpassed by Club America in number of titles won. It is a club performing well below its historical average in other words. One of the challenges of Chivas is their transfer policy of Mexican only players. This means you will be relying on the famed youth academy, which remains in a good state. You will also contest the biggest match in Mexico: the Clasicos de Clasicos against Club America. 

Club America - The record holder for number of titles won, Club America is a Mexican powerhouse. But despite its record, it hasn't been dominant in recent years by any stretch of the imagination. Playing out of the famous Azteca Stadium, the club has managed to attract some excellent players from Central and South America over the years, including Christian Benitez, Claudio Lopez, Salvador Cabanas, and Dario Benedetto. 

These are just the league available from the start of the game. But once the databases for Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia, Paraguay, and the rest of Central America and the Caribbean become available, there will be many more interesting save ideas. 

My first season in Deportivo Pereira got me a 6th position.

I'm trying to have more League/Libertadores titles than Once Caldas/Quindio only with Colombian players signed.

Got manager of the year as well.

image.thumb.png.4d8f211ba7ee0d3d27cbe221e4449a34.png

5 hours ago, OdaFootball said:

My first season in Deportivo Pereira got me a 6th position.

I'm trying to have more League/Libertadores titles than Once Caldas/Quindio only with Colombian players signed.

Got manager of the year as well.

image.thumb.png.4d8f211ba7ee0d3d27cbe221e4449a34.png

The Medellin clubs look to have had a nightmare of a season!

How did you do in the Cafetero Derbies? 

On 10/11/2021 at 08:32, Tikka Mezzala said:

The Medellin clubs look to have had a nightmare of a season!

How did you do in the Cafetero Derbies? 

Not that good.

Second season the team decided they didn't want to play anymore and got sacked. 

Started a new save with Deportivo Cali and won the championship in the first season alongside with finals in the Colombian cup.

Second season only won the Super cup and lost the finals of the Colombian cup while in the league couldn't reach the finals.

I'm waiting on the Primera C DB or the Ecuadorian League DB to start a new save either with Del Valle or a low league team of Colombia Primera C.

Cucutá would be perfect but they are banned from Dimayor competitions.

Edited by OdaFootball

Why were Cucutá banned??

Just to add, I've had some of my favourite FM experiences playing in Uruguay. Such a fun league and nearly all the clubs play out of one city.

Must be a brilliant place to live to watch so many games each weekend.

Edited by Colorado

• 2 weeks later...

I've found some databases for South America:

https://www.fmsite.net/files/file/1176-argentina-6-divisiones-regionalizada/

This one allows you to manage right the way down the Argentinian pyramid. 

https://www.fmanager.com.br/topic/135457-fm22-fmanager-brasil-ultimate-update-by-ibarra/

This one has Brazil's pyramid, and the other nations not in the original database are included in the zip file (Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay, and Venezuela). 

2 hours ago, Welshace said:

What Caribbean clubs are there?

There are a few Caribbean databases in the Steam workshop. I personally haven't tried any of them so far, so I can't say much more than that I have seen they exist. 

I've definitely seen Cuba, Trinidad and Tobago, and Jamaica in the workshop. But there are more I'm sure. 

There are working files on the Steam Workshop for the other SA leagues that aren't playable out of the box.

Have run a five-year sim and they seem to work pretty well, no obvious glitches. 

Still a real shame SI haven't fixed the club visions bug that seems to be plaguing Argentina amongst others. I really fancied trying to revive Independiente 

But for now I might look to Ecuador or Paraguay. 

So some comments on some of the South American databases: the Argentina one seems to be good. As far as I can tell, it's what you'd hope for. 

The Brazil one doesn't have the State Championship tournaments in it. So realism is kinda out the window with it. Although, I understand there is some work being done to add them all back in again, so maybe it's just a case of waiting a bit. 

The other four (Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Venezuela) don't seem to have the opening and closing stages, but rather run like a European season. The last time I checked, these still had apertura and clausura competitions, so that's a bit disappointing. 

Maybe someone will rectify this in the future. 

Thanks @Tikka Mezzala for the updates. Do you mean the Brazil database in the link above does not have the state championships? If so, I will begin a save with default database and the real colours file on the steam workshop.

By the way, the Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay and Venezuela files by Riddler on the steam workshop always seem to be good, although not tried this year.

Brazil was always going to be the destination of my main save this year. Had a great save with Santos on 20 and Fluminense on 21. Torn this year between:

1. A somewhat fallen giant like Corinthians - Renato Augusto, Guiliano and Willian make for an interesting dynamic.

2. A club pushing the new ‘big 3’ in Internacional with the potential to turn it into the best in South America

3. A stuffy outsider, Bahia perhaps? 

I play max 2-3 seasons usually so Vasco, Botafogo may not make the cut as I like to play continental games too.

I normally always have a save in Argentina but due to the club vision bug I won’t bother this year. It’s terrible the lack of attention South America gets from SI. Argentina is also a big league in world terms.

Edited by roas1875

5 minutes ago, roas1875 said:

Thanks @Tikka Mezzala for the updates. Do you mean the Brazil database in the link above does not have the state championships? If so, I will begin a save with default database and the real colours file on the steam workshop.

By the way, the Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay and Venezuela files by Riddler on the steam workshop always seem to be good, although not tried this year.

Brazil was always going to be the destination of my main save this year. Had a great save with Santos on 20 and Fluminense on 21. Torn this year between:

1. A somewhat fallen giant like Corinthians - Renato Augusto, Guiliano and Willian make for an interesting dynamic.

2. A club pushing the new ‘big 3’ in Internacional with the potential to turn it into the best in South America

3. A stuffy outsider, Bahia perhaps? 

I play max 2-3 seasons usually so Vasco, Botafogo may not make the cut as I like to play continental games too.

I normally always have a save in Argentina but due to the club vision bug I won’t bother this year. It’s terrible the lack of attention South America gets from SI. Argentina is also a big league in world terms.

Yep. The database is currently missing state tournaments. 

I think Riddler's files are European style seasons, rather than opening and closing tournaments. So if realism is your thing, might be worth waiting. If not, then they'll be perfect!,

19 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Yep. The database is currently missing state tournaments. 

I think Riddler's files are European style seasons, rather than opening and closing tournaments. So if realism is your thing, might be worth waiting. If not, then they'll be perfect!,

Thanks - I won’t use that database. Love a state championship!

Ahh, I did a season with Independiente Del Valle on FM 20 and must have not realised it should have been split apertura and clasura. I suppose I would prefer the realism of the tournaments being split so may just wait. Was also tempted by a Bolivia club and country after my Brazilian save.

Edited by roas1875

26 minutes ago, roas1875 said:

Thanks - I won’t use that database. Love a state championship!

Ahh, I did a season with Independiente Del Valle on FM 20 and must have not realised it should have been split apertura and clasura. I suppose I would prefer the realism of the tournaments being split so may just wait. Was also tempted by a Bolivia club and country after my Brazilian save.

I was thinking about trying to win the Libertadores with a Bolivian, Venezuelan or Peruvian side. Someome like Deportivo Tachira or Real Potosi. 

10 hours ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

I was thinking about trying to win the Libertadores with a Bolivian, Venezuelan or Peruvian side. Someome like Deportivo Tachira or Real Potosi. 

This also crossed my mind. Would be achievable with a Peruvian side like Sporting Cristal or Alianza Lima who have some good players in this version.

Bolivia and Venezuela a much bigger challenge although Jorge Wilstermann have a nice looking squad.

If you or anyone else reading is interested in Venezuelan football - I highly recommend Red Wine and Arepas by Jordan Florit that comprehensively covers modern Venezuela and it’s football.

3 hours ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

I see they've claimed to have fixed this in the latest patch!

I noticed that, great news. Will also stop each AI manager getting sacked too! I have my eye on a save with All Boys - this fix may well delay my Brazil save as I have been itching to manage in Argentina.

4 minutes ago, roas1875 said:

I noticed that, great news. Will also stop each AI manager getting sacked too! I have my eye on a save with All Boys - this fix may well delay my Brazil save as I have been itching to manage in Argentina.

I've started my own save in Argentina.