[FM 22] Russian Mud Season: How to Slow or Stop an Attack! featuring FC Baltika Kaliningrad

Hootieleece

FC Baltika

ig6LRE.gif

October 2023: Regular Season "the tough get going"

Manager's Thoughts

The team needed a reset after September's matches. October's matches were against teams we were battling for safety so that added importance, but the fact that most were of comparable size and stature gave us a chance. The Three home games were the chance to lay down another marker and play the way we should and did we. The only game that didn't go our way this month was the trip to Krasnodar. I wasn't expecting a win but the referee was over the top for them.

When we play comparable teams, we have a chance. Our chances would be better if we had consistency from our Strikers. Our defense is good, but now we need an offense to make us the team we can be.

Funny thing is we scored almost for fun last year and couldn't stop a shot. This year is reversed and we are in the same predicament: Relegation Battle!

Rumors say Zenit wants me...if they offer an interview I will go. They are too big a club to say no to.

Otherwise, I think the future is bright in Kaliningrad!

Schedule

ji55O4.jpg

Highlights

The month would start with three matches in a week! At least they were at home and just before the October International Break.

First up was a visit from Torpedo Moscow.

oZ6Ild.jpg

The team from the capital was in poor form and we really need to take advantage.....

xQhlal.jpg

We played well, but gave up a late corner and the rest is history they say. I was gutted at the thought of the points we threw away.  

and in a lighter note....

kEYknC.jpg

CKSA Boss who I replaced as Baltika manager only has nice things to say about my work. Nothing against the man, all my animosity is towards the board.

wDpfV2.jpg

The xG shows how unlucky we were to give up that late goal, but it is also something of an indictment of our scoring ability that we couldn't get the second with that much domination.

After the Draw we then prepared to entertain a lower-league side in the Russian Cup since this was a midweek game and we had another big game before the International Break. This would be a chance for the backups to show their stuff.

3Ujolu.jpg

We were favored, but would need to do a professional job against a team in better form.

F6WyMq.jpg

We have lost to them before in similar circumstances...."Be careful out there"

Tyz4xa.jpg

Neftekhimik fought hard, but this time we got the late winner!

5BhKiJ.jpg

It was almost all due to this academy graduate, he doesn't quite show enough in training to command a place in the starting XI , but he is good cover for the Zenit Loanee Shamkin.

hxi3op.jpg

The xG shows what a fight the lower-level team put up... on another day things could have gone differently.

The team was then ready for the team from Samara...in another important game in our Relegation Battle.

436FXb.jpg

They're are of similar stature and unlike the media I think we had this one in the bag...like every game this season it was a Six Pointer in my mind.

vlISnH.jpg

Total domination! in one of our best performances this year.

The Defense were all immense.

68oH7S.jpg

and the fans loved it. hopefully we will have a few more games like this.

O9snCk.jpg

The analytics department was jubilant mood when showing me their report.

The team then had some time off because of the international break and I scaled back training a bit two a day instead of three a day.

After the break the team had a tough test in the form of a trip to Krasnodar.

V5bJKT.jpg

I didn't expect much as we are often much worse against better teams, but if we played like the last game....

tsCdrJ.jpg

It was a thrashing, but the Referee was on their side sending off two of our players to ensure victory! The media even commented on it.

and the plot thickened....

dVNzyW.jpg

Zenit fired their manager...I will not seek the job, but if they decide to interview me....Pyotyr Romanoff in St. Petersburg does have a ring to it!

lYuAhG.jpg

We also found our next opponent in the Russian Cup!

rcEIEO.jpg

It will be a tough match but I think we have a chance...

The last match of the month saw us head to Sochi for another crucial Six Pointer in the Relegation Battle!

Sochi was favored due to being the home team and I had to make some changes to the team due to Suspensions but I thought we had a chance!

la3wPF.jpg

VAR went in our favor for a change! Three crucial points in our quest for 35!

8qly8w.jpg

of Course I was pleased for the supporters...that is what I try and do!

UB9oOD.jpg

xG shows that we were dominant in the game...which was good to see.

JqfRbF.jpg

and at long last the captain has stopped pouting in his tent!

League Table

cnaLwr.jpg

Player of the Month

Tamerlan Musaev

See the source image

d4ye33.jpg

Tamerlan is beginning to show promise and is pushing Dibirgadjiev for the Striker role...but I need significant improvement if we are to make us a team the contends for European places.

Monthly Analyst Report

XU3dBz.jpg

We don't score a lot but I am happy to see we have a good defense.

Management Report

IDeEyu.jpg

z3qyLl.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough form, but dare I say…stop playing defensive? Maybe you’re meant to play on the front foot? Maybe the board needs to take their defensive football and put it where the sun don’t shine?

Youre not going to topple CSKA playing reactive football!

1 hour ago, 13th Man said:

Tough form, but dare I say…stop playing defensive? Maybe you’re meant to play on the front foot? Maybe the board needs to take their defensive football and put it where the sun don’t shine?

Youre not going to topple CSKA playing reactive football!

I wanted to do something out of the ordinary for me and play offensively, but the Board and my natural instincts are to build a good defensive central spine to a team and then add flair and goals. 

I think that the Board's Vision just reminded me to get back to the basics...

I am not exactly happy with the current state of the team, but I am happy enough that we are grinding out results so I will be in a position to play more on the front foot!

November wasn't a bad month...and I may end up bringing about "Nesselquist" @SixPointer Ball to Russia. Early returns are promising...

but you will have to wait for the next installment.  (a couple of hours I want to get it done before dinner!)

4 minutes ago, Sheriff7 said:

Hmmm, what does he "really" means @SixPointer ???

108902-middle.png

No, but his ideas are definitely going to drive us forward, I think. 

We are still in a relegation fight until we aren't and every match against anyone that isn't Zenit, CSKA, Spartak, or Krasnodar is a Six-Pointer!

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

but the Board and my natural instincts are to build a good defensive central spine to a team and then add flair and goals. 

I get you, and while you only know me from Livorno and Portsmouth saves, I’m normally in the same frame of mind. My 4-3-3 strategies were about defensive solidity and I’d rather win 1-0 than 4-3.
However, Livorno’s early days showed me that they weren’t a squad that could defend well or absorb pressure, so I used “defensive” possession football instead. Defensive in the sense of “they can’t score if we have the ball” not the mentality, though sometimes also that.

Edited by 13th Man

FC Baltika

uZmqoX.png

November 2023: Regular Season "Hanging Tough"

Manager's Thoughts

The team went into November on a high and I wanted a good month, we played well but the switch to one of our secondary formations was the impetus to our successful homestand. It was all because of an analyst's comment about Lokomotiv's weakness. It worked well so we will keep it in mind as we search for a way to become better offensively, because we can't keep up this defensive effort forever!

Schedule

aC4Wm3.jpg

Highlights

The month of November would see us play all of our matches at Kaliningrad Stadium. We would be playing bigger teams including the floundering Zenit.

I wanted to grab at least 6 points from the three games...It would be a tall order, but if we started scoring...

XDeKEZ.jpg

Zenit was floundering and coach less in fact some had said I would be their new man. Thus, it was a bit of a slap in the face to be underdogs. But I understood it there is a real disparity in club size they have players that make more than our entire payroll: Youth included!

We would play and hope for a little luck...

lKn0Qf.jpg

I was being realistic...

HVRbqv.jpg

I would have like to win... but I will take a draw against Zenit almost any day.

The disappointing draw led us to await the next game... and also the call from Zenit never came and I am relieved.

I1esQC.jpg

The Analyst's found something to note in their preparations for the Lokomotiv match...

VJuIBf.jpg

That they were weak on the Right Flank so I decided to use the 5-2-1-2WB formation that overloads the opposite flank but opens up headers on that side....

The formation was made famous by a Norwegian named Nesselquist.

0NZExH.jpg

I also laid-off from tightly marking players and pressing them as well in the first half.

It worked well.

Lokomotiv made some adjustments at halftime and became a threat scoring to tie the game, but I made some more adjustments by tightly marking and pressing players and we got a lucky VAR awarded penalty that was slotted home by Kuzmin!

vRbHRT.jpg

The hardcore fans were ecstatic with the victory! The band wagoneers were less impressed!

YkmRcN.jpg

Kuzmin led the side in an RPM role scoring and assisting!

z2pOdM.jpg

SffYLh.jpg

Yes, we were Lucky, but that didn't stop it from being shown on TVs across Russia!

2NS81u.jpg

The xG show just how lucky we were, but I would actually been happy with a point from this match.

f2ZBX1.jpg

After the victory another malcontent decided to stay...

The International Break came and went and it was on to Akhmat Grozny who would visit for the last match of November.

I decided to try my luck with the 5-2-1-2WB again....

rWyWxs.jpg 

This was a match between equals thus another Six-Pointer in the Relegation Battle!

4TXNZp.jpg

The match was perfection we played well and ticked all the boxes. 

YDb5B1.jpg

The fans enjoyed the more offensive approach.

GajR0W.jpg

bCI1qk.jpg

The only problem is the loss of Aliev who makes the formation tick as the DLF.

PB4LQe.jpg

Lapshov is beginning to payback his $650k Transfer Fee!

bXbnuD.jpg

I complained about Akhmat's physicality that led to Aliev's injury in the media!

FJGb7v.jpg

There was a party in the Analytic's section as the xG showed how dominant we were!

6Pc44e.jpg

also Musaev signed a new contract that will keep him and his blossoming ability around the team for some time.

ALgCUI.jpg

League Table

CS5paQ.jpg

Player of the Month

Maksim Kuzmin

lwzTGH.jpg

Monthly Analysts Report

bDgvy0.jpg

fyB59v.jpg

j3aQBk.jpg

These stats show a team under siege, but making the most of it. The team does need to become more of a threat going forward to hopefully alleviate the pressure. That is why I think I may continue to use the 5-2-1-2 WB formation it seems more threatening offensively.

Management Report

Rt6gmE.jpg 

6SXlTr.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

I get you, and while you only know me from Livorno and Portsmouth saves, I’m normally in the same frame of mind. My 4-3-3 strategies were about defensive solidity and I’d rather win 1-0 than 4-3.
However, Livorno’s early days showed me that they weren’t a squad that could defend well or absorb pressure, so I used “defensive” possession football instead. Defensive in the sense of “they can’t score if we have the ball” not the mentality, though sometimes also that.

We are absorbing pressure well, but it also is a bit too much defending for my liking currently. The possession Idea was my first thought, but I do want to keep my job!

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

We are absorbing pressure well, but it also is a bit too much defending for my liking currently. The possession Idea was my first thought, but I do want to keep my job!

The possession was how I kept my job, but if you’re absorbing pressure well, then great! Livorno did not (quiet, leaky) so I had to go the shut down possession style at first.

Nice improvement in this update though.

Better form. Nessel ball was technically defensively solid. As I looked to give space in behind opponents back line and make my team very compact. I just done it a little with a high line and low LOE.

If the board wants defensively solid football all you need is to keep clean sheets. It doesn’t matter how your achieve them. Wether you park the bus or press like a mad man. 

if you do opt to sit in. I think set plays then become essential. I would recommend spending a good few hours setting them all as they can be devastating. Also trying to find a good player to deliver. 

I didn't mind the Sitting back and Counterattacking with the 5-2-2-1 WB. My real concern was the lack of goals. All of my past Set-Piece Routines seem to be crap this year. I have gotten some goals by adding in yours, but it is obvious that I am not a Set-Piece Guru. Our best corner takers have ratings of 12-13. Free Kicks the same.   Every AI goalie seems like Manuel Neuer unlike the Glory days of FM20!

The best so far is that we are solid defensively, but the lack of goals is keeping us on a knife's edge.

As will be seen in the next update.

FC Baltika

ig6LRE.gif

December 2023: Regular Season "A Long December"

Manager's Thoughts

The month of December started we were flying high and I was keen to keep up the momentum. We only had two games, CSKA Moscow at home and Khimki on the Road. After that Winter Break.

Two matches both winnable what could go wrong?

Well the team didn't have Aliev who was the DLF-S that made the formation tick and we lost Murtazaev to injury early in the CSKA Game but the team played well.

I made a mistake of playing the backups against Khimki and it cost us two points I think and almost gave them their first victory of the year.

The team is in good shape and probably only needs to win 2-3 more games for survival. That is still the goal: Survival. Then we can start thinking about next season!

Schedule

OwRN80.jpg

Highlights

The month would have only two matches and then Midwinter Break would start. Each of the matches was winnable and I wanted to start making CSKA Board see the error of their ways.

TwP1dV.jpg

We were underdogs, but they were without Marti that levelled the odds!

ffBWHR.jpg

It was a tight game with both sides not holding back and the teams were actually each others equal on the day which surprised many!

MqrJiJ.jpg

Murtazaev's injury puts one of our best players on the shelf, but at least he only will miss one game!

itZ8gc.jpg

The media had begun to take notice of our form.

The next match was against Table Proppers Khimki so I decided to rotate the Starting XI....

5nprhK.jpg

I felt justified in doing so because of their form and the fact we were favored on the road!

EoaQdX.jpg

It was a mistake on my part. Khimki played their hearts out and we barely scraped a draw after going down 2-0 in the first 12 minutes!

C50c1Q.jpg

I now support VAR when they get things "right"!

sK7TQl.jpg

It was a little too close for comfort but we maintained the unbeaten streak that has been powered by the 5-2-1-2WB formation.

The Coaches and Writers Voted on the Russian Premier Leagues Select for 2023!

ms9XPH.jpg

TzjzQB.jpg

As one can see players from the "Big Clubs" ruled the roost. Hopefully someday a Baltika player will be on the ballot!

The Wider World had another shock, As Roman Abramovich fired another manager....

9pulAg.jpg

League Table

ccN7oy.jpg

Player of the Month

48Mb4M.jpg

Management Report

GYsSLn.jpg

54uLY6.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

6 hours ago, 13th Man said:

It may have only been a draw, but it was a warning…CSKA your days are numbered!

I am probably a season away from coming for the top 5 and about 3 seasons from a Title Challenge. We need a Cup Run or a lucky Top 5 and Europe run to really set the foundations for greatness.

FC Baltika

uZmqoX.png

January/February 2024: Winter Break/2nd Preseason "Step by Step"

Manager's Thoughts

The team went on Winter Break and came back in good shape. The team added a player to help with scoring up top. The team then went into the friendlies and dominated. Which led us to play well in the Russian Cup. We are putting the foundation in place to start challenging for Silverware in the next couple of seasons. It is time to "Trust the Process".

Schedule

YTkX36.jpg

Highlights

The team decided to give a loanee a look by giving him a raise until the end of the season. He had played well while out on loan...and now would have his chance!

AV2w1J.jpg

He has the chance to take the place of two older players that will not be retained Kazaev and Klenken.

As the Transfer Window opened up, I was asked about adding to the team.

4se6wh.jpg

My answer was we would try but only if it was an upgrade and it made fiscal sense. Which based on our activity already meant no one!

deguUs.jpg

We had already decided to loan this player at great expense from Rubin to help our Strikers. We also are hoping he enjoys himself and signs on in the future as a Free Transfer!

VVTjVj.jpg

This player was brought in to help with the depth of our youth teams...

YCjF6A.jpg

We did decide to sell last January's Deadline Day Free Transfer because he didn't really fit our plans!

January Analyst Report

JSjhHQ.jpg

We don't head a lot, but we are good at it when we do!

January Management Report

Eu0XZv.jpg

Highlights (February)

0ykBd1.jpg

Xaw52a.jpg

Bad News as starting LWB Blake-Tracy will miss 2nd Preseason!

We then started our Friendly matches with a win over a local team....

hErPzk.jpg

We played the 5-2-1-2 WB and they had no answers.

0PVs9F.jpg

TMYfLx.jpg

slRE3j.jpg

After the two victories in Kaliningrad the team headed for warm weather in the UAE.

The Team played three local teams over the next 8 days and recorded wins playing with each of our formations in rotation.

2UM0VW.jpg

The 5-2-1-2 WB

4GsSIm.jpg

The 5-2-2-1WB

bTjUTo.jpg

The 5-2-3 Wide WB

EynoA1.jpg

The last match was a lot closer than the score line suggests...which means I will probably not use the Formation going forward.

The Team came home from the Middle East and returned in time for Deadline Day!

sja6C9.jpg

This was the overall Activity in the league.

2DLmhz.jpg

This was the Team's activity during the Window Two in Two out.

The team then had to get ready for a competitive match at the end of the month. Lokomotiv Moscow would visit for the %th Round of the Russian Cup!

I6esAk.jpg

We were underdogs, but never underestimate a home underdog!

Yb4iyu.jpg

We won by playing the 5-2-1-2WB and our overall form!

uYp030.jpg

As one can see the team was unlucky not to score more!

Kb4MxN.jpg

As a reward we would play our Rivals Zenit in the Quarterfinals!

League Table

m7Ec5j.jpg

Player of the Month

Roman Murtazaev

tg7sr7.jpg

Monthly Analysts Report

tOUl0G.jpg

The most notable analysis was how well our defense was clearing our box!

Management Report

VIsmdH.jpg

s8IVqH.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

FC Baltika

ig6LRE.gif

March 2024: Regular Season "Triumph of the Oblique Order"

Manager's Thoughts

I cannot take credit for the good form that the is in except for keeping morale up. The Tactical Ideas that see us overloading the opponents Left Flank belong to a Norwegian Genius named Nesselquist.

Luckily, we have the players to implement the system and it works against all but the strongest squads.

Also, the team has taken to heart the defense first approach and our numbers are much better than last season.

If this keeps up we might actually make a run to Europe ahead of schedule!

Schedule

DBsO1A.jpg

Highlights

The Regular season resumed after the Cup Victory and the team had a tough game ahead with another visit to Moscow and Spartak.

P9VVjh.jpg

There was plenty of coverage for the big match...

q72LjQ.jpg

We were decided underdogs, but with our change of Formation I gave us a chance...

1QTQg2.jpg

It wasn't meant to be mostly because of horrible officiating that was biased. The team gave up two late goals both off of Set-Pieces that were given for dubious reasons.

The Second Goal came in "Fergie Time"

Other than that, I thought the team had played well.

XKJx2I.jpg

The after-match pressers became all about the officiating...

6cbuKP.jpg

ePZY8B.jpg

6fsQi8.jpg

Both managers want better refereeing in the future, but I doubt it will change....

kSIlTS.jpg

Our unbeaten streak came to an end...

RUT9pP.jpg

As XG shows we defended well considering the pressure we were under all match long it is a testament to our defensive prowess that it took until the 81rst minute to break us down!

The last goal was because we decided to go very attacking to get an equalizer and the defenders switched off on the throw in.

B0cRlh.jpg

We lose another Wingback.

The next match was fortuitous as it was against Relegation Candidates SBA Kkabarovsk.

rHPtAH.jpg

thHrnm.jpg

It was a great game and attacking their Left Flank worked wonders!

but It was Ignatjiev's coming out party, He was a loanee from Rubin I am hoping to sign on a Free for next season!

4FFD1e.jpg

pcX3Ts.jpg

Always happy for the supporters when we win...just wish there were a few more!

TXK11o.jpg

xG shows how dominant we were.....

Youth Intake

sgeX3w.jpg

PETc0D.jpg

about 15 players in the intake and about 5 good ones.... but I am leaving it up to HOYD as to who to pick.

The team then had to get ready for a match with Rostov after the victory against Kharabvosk.

WjhrJZ.jpg

We were the home team but we were underdogs yet again...but I decided to put my faith in the 5-2-1-2WB yet again!

LZSLSe.jpg

It was a tough match, but one that saw us score from Set-Pieces!

Defense and Set-Pieces just what the Board ordered!

Y0jWQJ.jpg

We play well at home and that is just what the doctor ordered...for a relegation battle!

D2ZEqD.jpg

xG shows that this was a close battle and the "Special Forces or Spetnatz" made the difference!

The next match would be a milestone in my career, but I wanted the team to ignore it and keep up the good work.

Qli6sZ.jpg

100 games, about 3 seasons in Russia...in a good place...

qWTP8t.jpg

Road Dogs but supposedly we had a chance....I guess good analytics catches up with you!

CtxUdm.jpg

It was a great game that the neutrals loved. I just wished the defense was a little tighter at the back.

BKgt8x.jpg

People really are after me about VAR and Refereeing....

ly2uch.jpg

as one can see we got lucky! but I will take a win!

After the lucky escape in Ufa the team had to head to St. Petersburg for a Russian Cup Quarterfinal. Zenit is our Rival and that makes it a even bigger occasion as fans flock to the game!

1CXjqO.jpg

Biggest Crowd we played in front of this season!

ygMir1.jpg

This is a rivalry in the minds of the supporters! Mine is with CSKA!

IoQDau.jpg

Zenit were home Favorites, but I expected them to have a hard time with our Left Flank attack!

kKpBxy.jpg

Our attacks down the Left Flank led to switching the ball to the right for crosses towards the box. The Zenit Right back got a little zealous trying to stop the crosses and we took advantage!

emqRoq.jpg

but the star was Simeonov our GK who stopped a penalty!

fTaNDS.jpg

xG shows we were dominant, but Zenit gave us some problems even down to 10 men!

and as a reward we get CSKA!

HtmUIx.jpg

CSKA is coming to town, Hope we give them the warm welcome they deserve!

In other business, I decided to give contracts for next season to two young CB's who didn't make the grade elsewhere. They will play for U-21's and provide depth is nothing else.

bIVv1o.jpg

Dmg1eD.jpg

League Table

YRAeDY.jpg

We are on cloud nine. In a possible European spot!

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves!

Player of the Month

Ivan Ignatjiev

6bH3X1.jpg

The Rubin Loanee brought in a Great Expense to help our Attack has paid dividends. Hopefully we can sign him for next season!

Monthly Analytics Report

GlJmzp.jpg

5uz90R.jpg

sa6mfo.jpg

I am really happy with our Defensive numbers and it shows the team is committed to defending to the last man!

Management Report

krqVdY.jpg

ELmFNz.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

FC Baltika

uZmqoX.png

April 2024: Regular Season "Two Steps back, One Giant Leap"

Manager's Thoughts

The team is performing well overall. There were a couple of hiccups in the early going probably brought on by complacency and hubris. The losses and draw brought us back to earth and we were then ready for the biggest nights in Baltika's history so far! A win over CSKA to play in the Russian Cup Final followed by an improbable victory of League leading Dinamo Moscow! We took a few steps back, but made some leaps forward as well. The future is bright!

Schedule

4IcTr3.jpg

Highlights

The month began with good news for our future fortunes I think....

o7IZ5W.jpg

clmS8S.jpg

Ignatjiev signed on with us for next season...I was ecstatic!

After the Victory at Zenit the team had to get ready to take on Rubin without Ignatjiev.

vHSSHz.jpg

The Rubin gave was one where we had a chance but we would need to seize it if we were to make this season special!

kpp177.jpg

We started off great Musaev scored in 15 seconds!

the match was equal till halftime and then after some adjustments Rubin played much better and scored twice making us lose the game.

l2VJiS.jpg

ChrLVo.jpg

UyVAH7.jpg

The analysts show that we played well until halftime and we couldn't keep up when they made adjustments!

In the week after the trip to Kazan the team returned to signing youngsters for depth and to give them a second chance.

FRLvHw.jpg

MgpUg1.jpg

He is mostly for Team Registration purposes.

The team headed to Moscow yet again this time to take on Relegation threatened Torpedo!

QGIw4g.jpg

This will be a good chance to get back on the winning run and really make a run at Europe!

Also, we weren't clear of relegation yet ourselves!

frbts3.jpg

This match was two teams trading Set-Pieces with each other and their defense kept us from getting the upper hand!

TADEwC.jpg

At least we didn't lose, but we deserved more based on xG!

After the disappointment in Moscow the Team had to take on Samara's Team. Krylja Sovetov.

D449Gp.jpg

Sovetov was considered the favorites, but I thought we had a chance. I decided to change back to the 5-2-2-1WB for the game.

d3CWm2.jpg

I had also decided to play backup players...and was rewarded with a Red Card and 10 men.... of course, we lost!

BV9KiS.jpg

I answered this in a fog of anger after the game... We are NOT intimidated it is more like terrible refereeing but that isn't an answer!

lVbG55.jpg

xG shows we were never really in the match, but the sending off decided it!

BkdWnw.jpg

The team decided to sign six players from the Youth intake

R8n40y.jpg

A am excited about this players potential up front.

fC2lAk.jpg

Due to lack of height will probably retrained as a BWM/CM-D

9ce486.jpg

No real plan but probably Wingback or sold on to another team.

pUVLq5.jpg

Same as Safronov

ZEr0b0.jpg

Trained as an RPM until someone buys him!

1aXiIm.jpg

Trained as a Wingback until someone buys!

TPdyDa.jpg

has a chance to make the team as a Right Wingback.

After the loss to Sovetov the team then had to take on my personal Archenemies CSKA!

This Semi-Final could see us lay down a marker!

NfD9Xy.jpg

Luckily, we would be playing at home.

50N89o.jpg

I had some words for the team don't worry about the final until we beat CSKA!

gFGh6M.jpg

and we got a personally satisfying win!

kvzWYk.jpg

Since we are dropping down the table, I am looking for the Russian Cup as our ticket to Europe!

GycpQb.jpg

Even xG shows we deserved our win!

After the excitement of the Cup Semifinal, the team had one more match to play in April.

A showdown with League Leading Dinamo Moscow, who will be our Russian Cup opponents as well!

qIKn2P.jpg

I hoped we would give a good account of ourselves being home underdogs.

AfAACl.jpg

It was a match which many around Kaliningrad will say they were at in the future. We took an early lead, they responded and then we put them away late with Set-Pieces!

inmiRk.jpg

The captain led from the Front! Even if he was on the Backline!

U4rS5H.jpg

xG has it backwards for once, but either way we won!

League Table

27rgJa.jpg

Player of the Month

Artem Meschaninov

sc0rJN.jpg

The captain led when it counted!

Monthly Analytics Report

1XoZh9.jpg

Defensive numbers are still driving us!

Management Report

UwJUVh.jpg

s1YVSI.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

FC Baltika

ig6LRE.gif

May 2024: Regular Season "One Shining Moment"

Manager's Thoughts

After the great win against Dinamo, I thought we would take the momentum and try and make the Top 5. The Dinamo result assured our survival and it seemed like the boys went on vacation or teams started taking us seriously. The month was terrible with the only good being our Cup Final Victory over Dinamo yet again. The biggest thing I have noticed is that the team does better defensively when we DON'T tightly mark players in fact for next season, I am thinking of not marking players at all. Even if I do this, we need to get better upfront especially with European Nights upcoming.

All in all it was a good season and we accomplished our goals and got a gift from the Gods! It is up to us to not throw that gift away! but that is a story for next season!

Highlights

After the win against Dinamo, we had another tough match Krasnodar are a top team and we would need to be at our best.

NDnofd.jpg

Another of our bogey teams...home underdogs have a chance!

1OaARR.jpg

It was just one of those days and it was a Set-Piece that doomed us even though the pundits declared it a victory for Direct Counterattacking Football over Vertical Tiki-Taka!

MI9eew.jpg

I was a little mad after the loss and had the Assman take the podium.

I713Q0.jpg

As one can see this was actually an even match and it was just one mistake that cost us the game.

The team then had to get ready for a match against Sochi. It was a match we should win if we were to make the top 5.

0P3GtH.jpg

We were favored and if we would have gotten some luck in front of goal this could have been a blowout.

RWDAdW.jpg

Just before the game an important player went down. Thus, changing our plan from the 5-2-2-1WB back to the 5-2-1-2WB

ZBLD6R.jpg

It really didn't matter we played badly and had a player sent off that decided the issue, The first goal was given by VAR and the second was them finally overcoming our stout defense.

bwHPGf.jpg

Assman again had to face the slings and arrows of the media!

dOMUDj.jpg

xG shows we played well for a team down to ten men...but I still can't forgive losing to Sochi!

After the Disappointment against Sochi the team had to travel to St. Petersburg again this time for the Russian Cup Final at the Petrovsky Stadium.

WhJrhq.jpg

xpZ1Ax.jpg

This was going to be our chance to shine with some of the biggest light shining on us!

gUszlb.jpg

The chances were slim, but they still had to beat us. I deployed the 5-2-1-2WB and decided to mark or press no one with OI's!

0cJmLG.jpg

In a pregame presser I summed up my hopes! Praying to the Soccer Gods!

zRUQ9z.jpg

and for one night our defense played their hearts out and were rewarded! The game plan worked but there was some definite luck involved. We then near the end broke out and Shamkin the Zenit-Loanee scored the Cup Winner! Dinamo was in shock along with the rest of Russia!

LNiAcN.jpg

Time to Party!

See the source image

qfl9yK.jpg

I think the Prize Money covered the Bar Bill, but I am not sure!

ZLDoXT.jpg

The Supporters Love me....just have to keep winning!

V5t9bh.jpg

But best of all We will be playing in the Europa League! via the Playoff!

ZJuU0k.jpg

and of course, we are the biggest overachievers in the Tournament!

The after the party presser wasn't helped by my hangover....

Dzf5WG.jpg

DrDCah.jpg

both managers said things that will probably not go over well with the Referee's Union!

ktqDWw.jpg

when viewing the xG from the match! We should have lost, but thank the gods we didn't that is why you play the games!

With the vodka still coursing through our bodies and after sampling the finest of St. Petersburg Nightlife....we had to play our rivals Zenit!

9AGTqK.jpg

Zenit was in worse form, but were looking to take us down a notch or two.

nPmQya.jpg

and did they it was embarrassing! biggest take away was the loss of Murtazaev with an Achilles tear! Also, the Referee was terrible like so many that the Press reported it!'

yUE0uD.jpg

The Zenit Coach was happy that the Ref made it easy for him!

SLr6ne.jpg

but I had learned from my previous gaffes and said nothing!

The team became a MASH Unit and luckily the end of the season is here.

w7eLiA.jpg

AZFij5.jpg

kh3xSE.jpg

That means important players will miss the Final match!

The final match of the season would see us playing for pride if nothing else and we would travel to Moscow to play Lokomotiv.

pM5hvW.jpg

5Pey5P.jpg

With nothing to play far and Lokomotiv having a chance for Europe the boys went through the motions against Lokomotiv and almost lost to a ten man team!

t0AKLC.jpg

Refereeing was again the center of attention and I said nothing!

TejIBF.jpg

the xG was terrible and we should have lost the game at least we didn't lose to 10 men!

The Board didn't give me time to go on vacation and brought me into the office the next day with their expectations for next season!

yY7us9.jpg

While in the meeting the Club was notified that I had won an award.

vfyehp.jpg

M8vNtv.jpg

That gave me a chance to press them on an extension...

4bk46H.jpg

which we negotiated I got a small raise and an extra year

V950bz.jpg

I am not leaving just yet!

Seasonal Analytics Report

ALPlpq.jpg

The defense was the backbone of our success and going forward we must do more scoring to improve!

Management Report

6gxkx3.jpg

ikeMa9.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

3 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Congratulations on the Cup win!

Although I was hoping Zenit came in for you. I think they were my most fun team to manage last year. 

I was hoping also, but didn't even get an interview. I would not have declined because it would have been unrealistic, but I also didn't apply. CSKA offered me an interview at least.

2 hours ago, SixPointer said:

What an achievement winning the cup 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 

Considering almost everything I have done in FM this might be one of my finest achievements. Except a promotion and then French Cup Final Victory over PSG in FM15 or 16. Before I started doing Updates. 

That’s fantastic winning the cup!

Also, I think avoiding tight marking is the way to go. I sometimes mark a DM, a holding midfielder, or some other deep player who recycles possession, but never forwards anymore unless they’re slow and my defenders are far better.

FC Baltika

uZmqoX.png

May 2024 Awards Night

Image result for kaliningrad convention center

Welcome everyone to the Ibis Kaliningrad Center Hotel for the FC Baltika Pride Night!

Image result for kaliningrad nightlife

I hope everyone is having a good time and probably will as long as the bar is open!

In a few moments the Marketing department will show their presentation on the Team's Season.

kxVu1C.jpg

The 2023/2024 season was one of resounding success.

TU6n1B.jpg

Eb5BdX.jpg

and it all began with bringing in an almost whole new starting XI. With many of the new players playing vital roles in our fabulous Cup Run.

The Signing of the season was Vasil Simeonov as our new GK!

OEGQtS.jpg

To make way for all these players the team had to let some old heads go and almost none had as much playing time as they had at FC Baltika. Mikhail Levashov is an obvious Candidate went from starting GK at Baltika to Spartak's #2 for a lot more money of course.

Maybe the bars and nightlife were not up to his standards? (Laughter from the Crowd)

ufxTji.jpg

Only one player was loaned out. and he played very little which was one reason we put him on loan.

The Team's place in the Russian Premier League was proven by a respectable 9th place finish!

hvL2Ob.jpg 

But the real excitement was our fantastic run in the Russian Cup that saw us go out as Champions!

IOLeGz.jpg

and to get there we had to beat 3 of the biggest teams in Russian Football. The '24 FC Baltika Cup Winners will never have to pay for a drink in Kaliningrad!

N2mLFI.jpg

The season had its highs and lows but these are considered the 3 moments of the season inclusing the 0-2 Russian Cup Semifinal Victory over our Rivals Zenit!

GDsakg.jpg

The success on the field hasn't exactly shown up in our revenue streams, but if we can create a "Wonderkid" or two from our academy we will be on our way!

iSmzAF.jpg

The team started playing 5-2-1-2WB formation after Winter Break and it propeled us to success!

Awards

eZ5h98.jpg

Manager's Choice

XdeZEE.jpg

Manager of the Year

6CqepI.jpg

and here is Ivan Zhukavskiy's Supporters Club President to name the latest inductees to the Baltika XI!

85pnEx.jpg

This screen sums up the season!

DmSlon.jpg

The night is not over just remember that the hotel has beds at lower prices if you become a little to festive!

Image result for kaliningrad nightlife

Enjoy the night!

Thanks for Reading!

31 minutes ago, 13th Man said:

That’s fantastic winning the cup!

Also, I think avoiding tight marking is the way to go. I sometimes mark a DM, a holding midfielder, or some other deep player who recycles possession, but never forwards anymore unless they’re slow and my defenders are far better.

I am going to experiment with it more next season. Also, I think I will Regroup instead of Counter Press since my team seems to block and clear and not tackle and takeaway.

FC Baltika

uZmqoX.png

June 2024: Offseason/Preseason

Manager's Thoughts

What does one say about the "Silly Season"? The team would need to be upgraded and or given depth to deal with injuries. Unfortunately, the team lack transfer funds, so I decided to look through the Free agents and promoted a couple of Academy Players early to find depth. None of these players were a world beater except an Academy player, but they would all provide a shift for cover at least. This would be important with the team playing in Europe as well as being in a Relegation Fight. The goal for the season is as always win the Relegation Battle. I think the team can do it but our early schedule is tough. Especially with European nights midweek.

Highlights

Aliev came to me mad that I didn't play him in his favorite role. Even though to do so would require him to NOT be on injured list!

Also our new formation didn't require an Advanced Playmaker....

BpiGve.jpg

I didn't want to get rid of a useful player, but his mind was made up....

t1lvyD.jpg

I decided that I actually had many similar players or could get another one anyway so I did my best to transfer him!

XH60ts.jpg

I loaned out a player that was sitting the bench to give him some playing time before he was moved on....

I brought up the following players because of necessity from Baltika-2 even though they are on the young side.

I think they can help the first team!

s9Jmww.jpg

A Central-Midfielder in Training who might be needed as a Wingback from time to time.

8BzgOk.jpg

The star of our academy will help out as an RPM with his passing!

After the fun personnel moves came the Financial stuff.

7F1MYR.jpg

duYEzl.jpg

The team is in a better position financially, but one bad season could doom us!

The Russian Premier League made it back into the top ten thus securing better European Places for the Top 4-5 Teams!

JmkvnM.jpg

At least when we get there (Top 5) there might be European Football without too many Playoffs!

P1yVEK.jpg

I decided I needed a replacement for Aliev and Murtazaev (who is out until September and might not make it back fully) So I raided the Krasnodar Reserves for a similar player.

oRStIo.jpg

And as the Preseason began the Media finished their stories about the Past Season!

TqsMLS.jpg

and we were the overachievers again! 

I'm not sure we can pull it off for a third time.... but we'll try hard!

GNdFlR.jpg

And I always love seeing a player I bought being the signing of the season!

Ch4HFr.jpg

As Russian Cup Holders we get another chance at beating Dinamo...

QIbVeX.jpg

I signed a better Backup GK because I was afraid of losing Simeonov!

zJEcgE.jpg

an Academy Player with promised was resigned by the GM.

dioGVX.jpg

I resigned this 2 star player because of his Utility Value. He has attributes to contribute/cover for multiple positions!

Transfers

n3HKKP.jpg

y3eKAq.jpg

The opening day of Preseason came and we introduced some new players! Ignatjev just made his loan permanent and Ovsyannikov were the first team players. The rest were going to be given a chance in Baltika-2.

W8U3Je.jpg

He had scored some goals during his loan and I hoped he would keep it up now that he was permanent!

qO7P76.jpg

Because of his signing we let go our previous Backup Gk

PRAh6b.jpg

The first of July would see us bring in two more players to provide depth in case of injury to the First Team...

3TMDsb.jpg

Schedule

NyVtSG.jpg

before the end of the month the preseason got started with two easy victories!

Management Report

8kkZx4.jpg

AmTI5B.jpg

The finances are in decent shape and might be better after our European Adventure later this summer!

Most of the money is due to our subsidy from the Kaliningrad Oblast Government!

Thanks for Reading!

6 minutes ago, 13th Man said:

That 17yo RPM prospect looks fantastic. Definitely raw mentally, but passing, vision, first touch, and flair! oh my!

Yeah, the big boys (Russian) are coming after him. I later updates I will have upset him when I make his asking price real high!

Best thing is he is the Star of my first intake as Baltika Boss.

FC Baltika

ig6LRE.gif

July 2024: Preseason

Manager's Thoughts

The preseason was what you would expect lots of friendlies. We played well against comparable and smaller teams and had trouble with bigger teams. That is the problem with our play style, but it fits the players we currently have. The team is as ready as it will be for our season. The main focus will be the Relegation fight in the RPL. I am going to try and make the Group Stage of a European Tournament, but after that I will probably concentrate on the league. This is because in most aspects we are really not ready for European Football with our current playstyle.

Yes, we won the Russian Cup and deserve to be there, but it also highlights how miraculous our run was!

Schedule

rUj7Z5.jpg

Highlights

The Preseason will continue to see the team continue to secure important players, only if they are under 30. Since the team wants to become a youth haven.

3Tnida.jpg

Blake Tracy is a consistent Performer for the club so it was a no brainer, but I will probably not give him another contract after this one...

1QL1Au.jpg

After Aliev left, I told the fans to trust the team this was for the best.

Zg8lew.jpg

Volkov is a young player I gave a contract to because I wanted to give the team a stronger negotiating position with other teams. Since there are a few sniffing around and giving really insulting offers. 

The end of preseason would see the team play in the Russian Super Cup.

hAoe5t.jpg

League Champions Dinamo would be a tough opponent.

FymvkQ.jpg

The match had no surprises we defend against a superior team and their quality told.

MvuViA.jpg

As one can see Dinamo shough have won, but I actually think we put up a good fight.  The Analysts disagree.

Season Preview

The new season has come and we are expected to be in the Relegation fight, but I think if we beat our immediate competitors for that title and play even against the big boys. We can be safely Midtable.

jh5l9V.jpg

The reason I believe we can stay up is that I am not asking the players to do much more than they are capable of. In fact, the new gameplan is defend with everything and take our chances. 

Yes, I would like to play efficient attacking football but that is for a later date.

Right Now, we have to play to our strengths!

heq4kl.jpg

The top goal scorers are all the usual suspects...and play for them also!

IdQ1de.jpg

The Top Players will probably be one of these players...the only Unfortunate thing is there isn't a Russian player among them.

gvvDds.jpg

At least the top young players are Russian. Also, note that Mineev, our young RPM, is a candidate.

Imediately after this list came out the Big Russian teams came calling for him! 

I am determined to build around him if possible!

League Table

yeTwph.jpg

Player of the Preseason

pxOFKI.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

FC Baltika

uZmqoX.png

July 2024: Regular Season

Manager's Thoughts

The season started with a win in a way that will become our trademark. Defend with everything and take our chances! It worked in the first match of the season, but in the second we were incapable of threatening the opponent's goal due to some curious offsides calls. The real reason is that Ural is a team that is our equal while Rubin is a bigger team. I expect to lose to bigger teams especially on the road, but we were not blown out so that is a good sign.

Highlights

The team started the season against one of our direct competitors in the Relegation Battle. Ural Ekaterinberg.

KLbXPj.jpg

First match of the season almost always has a good crowd.

yHyltc.jpg

The Media and bookies were betting that we would lose....

SfYH4H.jpg

We pulled it out with just two goals and a solid defense.

JGcfny.jpg

Happy Fans are always a good thing.... the team also approves!

UmwHWu.jpg

The analysts were proud of our accomplishments as well.

During the week in between the first game and the second game, I decided to sign a player to help with one of the Board's Objectives of signing more players under 20.

m3YdQQ.jpg

He wasn't on a Professional Contract so we got him cheaply and he will bolster our Reserve teams!

The next match would us head to see Rubin Kazan and partake of their hospitality.

I planned on serving them a cold dish of Revenge!

zqu4oc.jpg

Rubin was a bigger team, but I thought we matched up well.

lCAavA.jpg

This was a close match that was only not a draw because of the referee...

fRSOLy.jpg

I don't want to talk about transfers at this time...Player wasn't even on our shortlist!

8TVo71.jpg

The xG is a little misleading.... we defended well considering we were playing a team with four extra players if you count the officials! but our attack was impotent as well because almost every attack we made was called offsides!

League Table

tBmKbD.jpg

Player of the Month

Tamelan Musaev

shpMmO.jpg

Monthly Analysis Report

O5Gp40.jpg

The defense is already becoming our Hallmark! Look at the Blocks and Clearances!

Management Report

GKlu3u.jpg

yJeB6y.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

• Hootieleece changed the title to [FM 22] Russian Mud Season: How to Slow or Stop an Attack! featuring FC Baltika Kaliningrad

Love the new catchphrase as well. Can see a captain in a rubble filled, windswept town, destroyed by war, getting his troops all ready for a last stand and finishing his epic speech with “defend witg everything! Take our chances! SPARTA!!!” (Whoops, wrong movie/thread?)

Love the new catchphrase as well. Can see a captain in a rubble filled, windswept town, destroyed by war, getting his troops all ready for a last stand and finishing his epic speech with “defend witg everything! Take our chances! SPARTA!!!” (Whoops, wrong movie/thread?)

It might have been better if I was leading Rotor Volgograd!

But I decided I needed to change the name because of how the save has evolved. Since I am primarily playing defensively and launching counterattacks and NOT playing possession and offensively it was a natural choice. UP BALTIKA!

5 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

The Russian Sean Dyche :lol:

Never thought I would hear someone say that!

Since I am playing a more defensive style and the shoe fits sort of, I went with it!

It will only become true if I start using 4-4-2.  But the snow in Burnley inspired me!

53 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

Since I am playing a more defensive style and the shoe fits sort of, I went with it!

It will only become true if I start using 4-4-2.  But the snow in Burnley inspired me!

Yes, you still need to go for the full Dyche treatment :lol:

But it seems to be going well overall in the Russian cold. Keep it up!

FC Baltika

uZmqoX.png

August 2024: Regular Season

Manager's Thoughts

The team came into a tough month that was exacerbated by an injury crisis. Even though we lost more games than we won I am proud of the fight shown by the team. It is something we can build on. I was also surprised when we got an invitation to Europa Conference League. The money from the Tournament will help put the team on sounder financial footing. Unfortunately, the team is also part of the Relegation battle in the RPL and that must be my first priority.

Schedule

RZKg0T.jpg

Highlights

The month of August would be busy with Six Matches. Four in the RPL and Two in the Europa League Playoffs. Of the RPL matches the first and last were have to have wins, the middle were bigger teams that I was hoping to nick a point off. We would be playing a Strong team in the Europa League Playoff since the payoff was Group Stage and a payoff.

The month started off with the team hosting Relegation Battlers FC Sochi to Kaliningrad Stadion!

xjTBm8.jpg

The visitors were considered Favorites, but never overlook a home underdog!

7kn1If.jpg

It was an ugly match, but it is definitely a way to win...We only scored on a corner!

2Eqj2T.jpg

Petrunin was the Star! Leading the defense and scoring on a corner! Superb all-around play from the Ball Playing Defender!

35jXiG.jpg

The xG was in our favor, but without the goal this could have become a draw or a loss!

The Team as Russian Cup Winners were one match from the Group Stage of the Europa League!

RXklrW.jpg

The Austrian team would be favored but we have a chance of playing in Europa League!

Due to an injury crisis at Right Wingback, the team was "forced" to sign another Utility Player for depth purposes.

DWo2V8.jpg

Yanchev can play multiple positions including DC, RWB, or MC. With his low salary and agreed upon playing time I think this is a good deal for the team!

HT8JJn.jpg

Since Yanchev is Bulgarian, I am obviously hoping that the GK Simeonov will help him adapt to life in Kaliningrad!

After the midweek signing the team headed to rival St. Petersburg for a match.

2dJV1e.jpg

Zenit our rivals, probably only a rivalry in our mind, were favored and a stronger team, but I am never one to count us out of a match.

RjSF2E.jpg

It was an ugly match that saw both sides spend more time fouling each other than trying to score! The level of officiating wasn't exactly good, and the GW goal was dubiously allowed by VAR!

xsUgVv.jpg

and in my anger I lashed out at the Referees and VAR!

Z3gF4w.jpg

The Zenit manager didn't see things my way...and just said I stated my objections about something I can't change!

After the refereeing brouhaha I was ready to play the next match. Another tough one in that it would be Spartak Moscow.

FQyIqO.jpg

Our Star Defender is happy to be in Baltika!

LXEyk7.jpg

The RPM Kuzmin can't stay healthy he came back from injury and went back on the IR the Same Day!

h7OKXg.jpg

Gameday came and there was no Upset. The gulf in quality between the two teams was obvious. Quincy Promes was a leader for RPL Player of the Year and now he had Wilfred Zaha to finish for him!

koWxYj.jpg

1Be4Xo.jpg

vfhL3t.jpg

Yes, I played the Benchwarmers and that contributed to the loss, but I wanted to save the players for the Europa Leage Match!

and I sent the Assman to face the slings and arrows of the Press!

sNT6Qi.jpg

Injuries are mounting....

jp9wK8.jpg

We are in bad shape going into the Europa League Playoff Match!

GWavBD.jpg

The team is considered an underdog, but we will put up a fight!

wf05dn.jpg

The visitors got the Game winner late that put a dent in our hopes of making the Europa League!

After the disappointing loss the team then had to take on fellow Relegation candidates Akhmat in another Six-Pointer!

uPJkY8.jpg

The only team having worse results than us can we get a win?

6imGnT.jpg

The gameplan worked to perfection a Clean Sheet and a comfortable win thanks to the Goalie's heroics!

6GGjKC.jpg

Simeonov was a Wall in front of our goal!

cz4Yup.jpg

Analysis shows we should have lost that game! Good Goalkeeping saved us!

5QtDgr.jpg

We then had to play SK Rapid Vienna again for the right to go to the Europa League Group Stage and its riches!

PDwKtx.jpg

The Team playedand turned the match into if we can't go you will be hurting physical contest and almost sent it to penalties!

VEBtJi.jpg

XG shows what a close contest it was, but we couldn't get that second goal to send it to penalties!

But we did get a decent going away prize: A birth in the Europa Conference League

MbNOvy.jpg

bDyXps.jpg

This is a group we can get out of Valencia is the class of the Group, but the other teams are beatable!

Just as things were beginning to go well...DRAMA!

PpZPXM.jpg

Mineev was attracting the like of all the Moscow Teams, and I set his asking price high. ($6.25M) since I want to build around him!

In fact, one of the suitors was to be played in the Next match! Lokomotiv Moscow

3119OQ.jpg

These Moscow Teams are bring in Big Names! Patrick Bamford!

6WAq7y.jpg

We are underdogs as expected and are not playing well...

6YQBGv.jpg

We played our hearts out! We got an early lead and were allowed to sit back and defend! And defend we did until and 85th minute goal that was dubious, but VAR overruled the Referee!

8Ve4mZ.jpg

xG shows that it was a close match till halftime. After halftime we were under a lot of pressure. Unfortunately, we gave up the late goal!

League Table

9pVknY.jpg

Player of the Month

Vasil Simeonov

image.jpeg.2b6a791701ee31c296709c92fe5b22cd.jpeg

9OKjdN.jpg

Monthly Analytics Report

C12b4L.jpg

Defensive Stats are good!

Management Report

pzf6c4.jpg

1iaKCW.jpg

FC Baltika

ig6LRE.gif

September 2024: Regular Season

Manager's Thoughts

The team made great strides in its application of the new defensive philosophy we have decided to embark on. Defend with Everything and Take our Chances!

This lead to some victories against comparable teams and some close losses against bigger teams. Which is all good if we keep it up. It means we are beating our closest competitors in the relegation battle and giving ourselves, some breathing room. Also, it is a style of play that seems to work in Europe as well.

UP BALTIKA!

Highlights

The month started off with an International Break during which we found out who we would start the defense of our Russian Cup!

kc97BD.jpg

We should be able to qualify from this group...

The International Break ended with Deadline Day for the Russian Premier League.

57nORb.jpg

We did not participate in any deadline deals mostly because we didn't have any payroll or transfer funds available.

The team is in decent shape if we can ever have all our players fit and uninjured. 

EheeTj.jpg

Maybe in 2-3 weeks we will all be fit, and I can play our actual Starting XI!

The first match after the break saw us take on Arsenal Tula in a match that would be important to the Relegation Battle.

Ef8omx.jpg

We were considered favorites and I hoped for a Professional job that lived up to that billing!

tLbAHR.jpg

GwhkrK.jpg

We won in dominating fashion, but the match was marred by bad refereeing that we benefited from!

wy9rch.jpg

Even though it was controversial I was delighted for the supporters!

H3551y.jpg

Just look at the xG we dominated and probably didn't even need help from the referee!

After that satisfying Victory, the team then hosted APOEL from Cyprus in the Europa Conference League!

7hbrNK.jpg

We were favored, but unfortunately due to the closeness of fixtures I played the second string!

hVj2ER.jpg

I thought we had a chance even with the second-string team!

WCkyG6.jpg

a great victory was won! A great night at the stadium!

9a2CXX.jpg

The team actually was a mix of players and it worked in dominating fashion even if the score line flattered us a bit!

hjtCxn.jpg

A personal favorite Marx Lenin had a good game in front of the net!

JlE1VQ.jpg

The analysts had a more dour look at the data and said we were lucky and that it was bad goalkeeping by APOEL that let us win!

After the midweek clash the team traveled to Rostov for an RPL match.

3JztZO.jpg

The hosts were favored even though they were in worse form.... mostly due to reputation.

3JztZO.jpg

We didn't get the win, but did come away with a draw.

2htHUv.jpg

The All-important point was beginning to give us breathing room in the relegation battle!

MPQJOa.jpg

We had made the game ugly, and it worked for us!

xShgll.jpg

These charges were denied because a few players hurt themselves running...

SDNLxf.jpg

The xG shows we were better in the first half and held on for the Draw in the second half!

After the Draw we had to play our Russian Cup match at home against the smaller Rostov side: SKA Rostov!

ViiK63.jpg

since we were playing a smaller team, we expected a small crowd!

oih3Ob.jpg

We were favored and I played the Beanchwarmers!

gO44Sz.jpg

We dominated the match but just couldn't find a way past their goalie to seal the game and it went to a penalty shootout! That lasted 10 rounds!

This loss will hurt for a while!

BtKGUH.jpg

The analysts are at a loss as to how we lost the match!

The last match of the month will see us play Perennial Contender Krasnodar.

5OvOyF.jpg

We were home underdogs and I almost agree with the bookies and media about our chances of winning!

jAgH4H.jpg

We gave it a good shout, but our defensive shell finally broke in the 88th minute!

This was hard after how well we defended!

zTqUU1.jpg

xG agrees we should have lost, but also says we had a decent chance of getting a draw!

League Table

dMuZMl.jpg

Player of the Month

qFzt92.jpg

Analysis Report

MN1mDC.jpg

We don't score, but at least we don't concede too many!

Management Report

GpZzS0.jpg

RMcko8.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

Definitely a good start and playing good solid defense. With all those games it can be a challenge and with injuries more so. You’ve got seven between you and the drop which is a bit of breathing room, shows your strategy is working so far.

FC Baltika

uZmqoX.png

October 2024: Regular Season

Manager's Thoughts

October was another busy month with 5 fixtures in three weeks because of an International break. The team was in slump in form, but had to play more tough matches than easy with CSKA, Dinamo, and Valencia among our opponents. It was imperative that we get wins over Kaluga and Tom. Just for pride and in the case of Tom win a Six-Pointer in the Relegation Battle! Onward we continue our march to be Russia's toughest test. We play with everything and sometimes at least it just isn't enough. UP Baltika!

Schedule

dCwi6P.jpg

Highlights

The month of October would see the Team visit GK Simeonov's old friends at Arda in Bulgaria.

FQqVCk.jpg

The hosts were favored but we had a chance....

The match was a bit of a dud, Simeonov did his job,

Arda away. All in All, a frustrating draw.

j2f5YO.jpg

A few days later Simeonov who has been playing well got the call up to the Bulgarian National Team!

After that draw the next match was against my personal rivals CSKA!

fIS4xH.jpg

Baltika was ssen as the underdog against the rejuvenated Powerhouse!

UmYiq2.jpg

The match had a feel of a grudge match and settled down to a really physical affair after each side scored early. The Ref didn't do us any favors, but we did get the Draw!

GzTCua.jpg

One of our largely silent strikers finally scored! Happy days are here again!

pyfZoM.jpg

The analytics show just how lucky we were to draw against CSKA!

BB9Vgd.jpg

It was brought to my attention Rostov manager's job was open.... I don't want it.

pabewW.jpg

The final match before the international break was against Kaluga in the Russian Cup.

KZp2x4.jpg

Kaluga was playing well and we were out of form...and we were favored mostly for being a RPL Team versus an RNL Team.

We had to do a professional job to give us a chance of making the 5th Round!

lgX1LC.jpg

A former player is in the other team...he was one of the big moaners when I first took over and I shipped him out almost immediately!

No28pu.jpg

RPHSuV.jpg

yIKYXa.jpg

The Second String took Kaluga out behind the Woodshed and showed them who was boss! But would it be enough?

2HFAG2.jpg

kuliNA.jpg

This XG shows we would have won even without the shoddy GKeeping by Kaluga!

But alas a few days later Kaluga lost to Rostov and there would be no Russian Cup run for Baltika this season!

A3JD1f.jpg

After that disappointment the team let their international players go.

Otherwise, the International Break didn't have anything other than the remaining team members working on Set-Pieces and running for endurance. Since we tend to fade in the second half.

After the break I was looking forward to a match against Dinamo. This would give us a measuring stick since they are the two-time defending RPL Champions.

T3RoAx.jpg

We would be travelling to Moscow for the tough match. Which isn't a way to break a run of bad form the Kaluga match not with standing.

HT88wL.jpg

This is another player I need to wrap up in bubble wrap and send to another team. He had just got off IR the day before.

gsZsom.jpg

This game was an embarrassment, but also showed the gulf in quality and how lucky we were last year in the Russian Cup Final!

BfAkGi.jpg

That doesn't mean I wasn't disappointed in the performance.

After playing Dinamo we had another tough match this time a trip to Spain!

jIpMPt.jpg

KzJ6XM.jpg

Valencia is a big team playing in a better League of course I am excited!

G7rOzm.jpg

The match was terrible, and the Referee made it worse...

hNgkFH.jpg

An excellent Referee loses it against my team.... I can understand Russian Referees being hostile, but it is almost like the Program has decided every match we are in has a terrible biased ref!

4h5lGH.jpg

The loss of our one true Right Wing back hurts as well...

zCMrfd.jpg

I now have a Striker that is officially in a drought having gone 20 games without hitting the net!

uCsIOL.jpg

In the post-match presser, I stated we need to get to Valencia's Level, and I mean it! Especially if we are to win trophies and bring glory to the Rodina!

HMPLXJ.jpg

The xG was rather dispiriting...and showed we had a bad day.

The tough month gave us one last chance to right the ship against table propper TOM!

LUrVWB.jpg

We were on the road but were favored mostly because Tom had been that bas so far, but would need a better performance to ensure our victory.

5dGPuI.jpg

It was my Birthday and the boys gave me a great present! A Win! It was close run thing, but at least I didn't pick up the Bar bill that night!

ii1oKs.jpg

The press wanted me to stick my foot in my mouth and I didn't!

WduU1O.jpg

The Tom Manager doesn't like my style....

1Mzv6V.jpg

The teams were close and it was that late goal by Dibirgadjiev that won it and helped the xG!

Monthly Analysis Report

0rc90N.jpg

Management Report

jvoDVy.jpg

RPvjnt.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

Edited by Hootieleece
added images

FC Baltika

ig6LRE.gif

November 2024: Regular Season

Manager's Thoughts

November saw another month with an international break. The team had been slumping for a while especially in front of the net. One night while trying to take my mind off soccer an idea struck me that we had been asking Ignatjev to drop to deep with his DLF-S role so I changed it to CF-S for the next match and that ignited our scoring that has shown up to help is to a 5-game undefeated run.

We defend the Box with everything and take our chances!

Up Baltika!

Schedule

6OOQdh.jpg

Highlights

The month of November would be important in our Relegation Battle as we would lay close rivals and Mid-table teams and would need to get points!

The first was a home match against Ufa. They were coming to visit, and I hoped we would be inhospitable hosts!

3QAM2v.jpg

We were underdogs based on form....

zYpCdz.jpg

The match was incredible and showed our resilience. We went down two going into half I fired the boys up and we got an early goal. They got a dubious penalty and converted. Then in the closing minutes we through caution to the wind and scored two late to draw even against 15 men!

F9IjlH.jpg

Marx Lenin's injury led him to be subbed for by Lazarev who led the comeback!

y1fi3K.jpg

The officials are going to kill us.... we are winning and drawing in spite of their interference and clear favoritism, but I will not say so in Public!

pGXUVx.jpg

The analysts know how lucky we were to draw the game!

After the Draw on the weekend, we then welcomed tourists from Spain midweek!

EUD3HU.jpg

We were obvious underdogs but NEVER underestimate a home dog that defends everything!

Uw0GGN.jpg

We defended our box to the last man and were under the circumstances should be happy even though the Referee did his best to Ensure a Valencia victory!

Maybe the supporters should stop chanting "A Rope, A tree, We're gonna hang a Referee!"

After the Draw against Valencia the team had to get ready to go again.

D00lAC.jpg

This time we hosted Krylja Sovetov from Samara. Krylja was favored....

3lqfyX.jpg

another day when our Strikers couldn't finish!

4tI2g7.jpg

This shot chart is embarrassing! but at least we got the point!

After the Sovetov game there was another International break and several non Baltika news items came through:

O1gmML.jpg

All the usual Suspects, some in different places! Man City has the most players in the group.

and in a Baltika related email...

o7E48X.jpg

Simeonov has been having quite a season for us and is playing well in RPL and ECL.

zvh00Z.jpg

We are supposedly having a good intake with 4-5 players that could make the grade.

JuZV7g.jpg

People are interested because we are becoming decent to good and likely becoming established in the RPL.

After all those emails it was time to return from break and get back to what we are paid to do play Soccer!

oFfyIJ.jpg

The team hosted Ural Ekaterinburg at the Big K! This would be another Six-Pointer in the Relegation Battle!

We were favored!

28kPZ3.jpg

Another player for the Bubble wrap brigade spends one day off IR immediately back on IR!

bzkMDC.jpg

We won the game inspite of the Referees best efforts to help Ural.

bgcJr1.jpg

It is nice to see that we are about 2/3 of the way to safety points wise and have an 11-point cushion from Playoffs! 

dQKaVs.jpg

I have to say our defense was great. Just the way I planned it!

After the win against Ural, we had to take a trip to Cyprus mid-week for the ECL.

VJAf5K.jpg

The Home team was favored, but I thought we had a chance....

J6Ewn2.jpg

xdxzAN.jpg

The ref was terrible again and in spite of his efforts we won the game....

1strw5.jpg

Ignatjev's play was ignited by a change in roles from DLF-S to CF-S and he has become a much more important player like he was envisioned.

MYF3f7.jpg

I am glad we won in spite of the officials.

pJqeG4.jpg

We deserved to win just by xG.

The first match of December would be against Zenit. I hoped for a draw just didn't want to lose!

MR6sIu.jpg

We were home under dogs.... we always had a chance...

WIHQN5.jpg

tF0n7O.jpg

especially when Ignatev played and the former favorite was right!

c0G1Lm.jpg

Every thing went to plan except the late goal by Zenit!

uttcn0.jpg

The media are noticing our form....

ZTTQGn.jpg

ad I want to get back at our "Rivals" I personally think this rivalry is a Baltika thing...I'm sure Zenit doesn't even think about it...We were/are acting like a little brother!

Player of the Month

Ivan Ignatjev

uroagc.jpg

Ivan's uptick in form was because of a role change. DLF-S to CF-S and it has been amazing!

Monthly Analyst Report

LkqE5U.jpg

Management Report

HSBaCS.jpg

9PzZgG.jpg

The Prize money from the ECL is the difference in our finances.

Thanks for Reading!

1 minute ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I've never managed in Russia, but it looks like you're doing an impressive job getting a smaller cub like this to the levels you have. Good work so far :thup:

Thanks Jogo. It is what I enjoy doing. I did one time before with Arsenal Tula on FM 20 or 21 and enjoyed it.

One reason is with decent transfer guile and decent tactics you can become a decent team and challenge for titles and Europe in a few seasons and there are enough decent teams to make a title race interesting. 

I don't always like attacking the DeathStar and fighting Stormtroopers in France for the title!

1 minute ago, Hootieleece said:

Thanks Jogo. It is what I enjoy doing. I did one time before with Arsenal Tula on FM 20 or 21 and enjoyed it.

One reason is with decent transfer guile and decent tactics you can become a decent team and challenge for titles and Europe in a few seasons and there are enough decent teams to make a title race interesting. 

I don't always like attacking the DeathStar and fighting Stormtroopers in France for the title!

In my mind, you're definitely a manager whose style is defined a bit like 'get the team cohesion, method and approach right and any lack of quality won't be an issue at all'. The same ideas did well at Clermont, why fix what isn't broken right? :thup: