[FM 22] Russian Mud Season: How to Slow or Stop an Attack! featuring FC Baltika Kaliningrad

Hootieleece

I’ve finally caught up!

It will be interesting to see if Maxim Kuzman makes use of the ball better in the forward position than others who have been there before him. Could it be your too deep and not close enough to the ops goal?

Time to close the gap, but I think you’ve already hinted at what’s coming…

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

I’ve finally caught up!

It will be interesting to see if Maxim Kuzman makes use of the ball better in the forward position than others who have been there before him. Could it be your too deep and not close enough to the ops goal?

Time to close the gap, but I think you’ve already hinted at what’s coming…

I haven't tried upping the Line of Engagement or Defensive Line yet, but that is something to think about next season.

Mostly I am returning to the formation and football that got us promoted during the first season when I tried to replicate Thomas Tuchel's Chelsea. 

The reason I have gone in on the Sean Dyche/Diego Simeone Defensive Philosophy was that is what the old board wanted. We have a new board with no real philosophy. 

So, I might pivot back to the original Idea, but the budget might make it hard.

Thus, I am using a CM as a False 9 ..... (Spoiler:he sets a club record for assists)

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

I haven't tried upping the Line of Engagement or Defensive Line yet, but that is something to think about next season.

Mostly I am returning to the formation and football that got us promoted during the first season when I tried to replicate Thomas Tuchel's Chelsea. 

The reason I have gone in on the Sean Dyche/Diego Simeone Defensive Philosophy was that is what the old board wanted. We have a new board with no real philosophy. 

So, I might pivot back to the original Idea, but the budget might make it hard.

Thus, I am using a CM as a False 9 ..... (Spoiler:he sets a club record for assists)

Ah, that makes sense. Hard to keep track of everything that went before.

Did you see the Tuchel interview after the Everton game when he was asked about his offense? He didn’t know either :D

Cool about the spoiler, as what I hoped would happen if not scoring :)

Edited by Sonic Youth
Smile

FC Baltika

uZmqoX.png

October 2025

Manager's Thoughts

This month saw us now get much better results. Which is great, but we are still playing with thin margins for error. Sometimes those margins go for you sometimes they don't. The biggest problem this month was officiating it is almost like the ref are extra players for the opposition. Luckily, we still one a majority of the games even though it is hard to beat teams that have 14 players when you have 11. The major brain wave that I had was to implement the Tighter Marking TI and Remove the Get Stuck in. Also, I am thinking to start using the 5-2-2-1WB in upcoming matches in order to control the ball more.

Schedule

CDzgw3.jpg

Highlights

The month of October would see the team play five fixtures beginning with a Russian Cup draw against Orenburg.

pgy7GD.jpg

FC Orenburg was in the RNL, but I was certain that the Backups could win this midweek match.

5jgWKm.jpg

And the backups didn't disappoint on the offensive end, with Vice-Captain Nadolskyi leading the way with two goals from the RPM position.

35ngvI.jpg

We set a Russian Cup Record for unbeaten play with the win.

T8BEym.jpg

The xG proves that the match was closer than the score line showed, but what made the difference was our quality of player and their mistakes.

EEWEaX.jpg

As you can tell we aren't ones to linger on the ball and frequently play it forward and attacked the opposition's left flank.

bA6b0m.jpg

Headed into the match with Relegation Threatened Arsenal Tula the plan was the same except with the Starters!

CJox1k.jpg

Petrunin,a fan favorite, who I only sold because the Polish team matched his release clause is returning to Kaliningrad as an Arsenal player.

oKEr6F.jpg

and our number 9 was a loanee at the Arsenal.

lMhLIP.jpg

This was a game that the team won with Set-Pieces, our first three goals all came from corner kicks. Also, it could be said that we got some hometown refereeing as well.

DMPtEx.jpg

Kuzmin led the team with Three Assists (from Corners)

RRuuQZ.jpg

Look at that the team wash now in contention. Would we be able to keep this standard of play going was the question on everyone's lips....and it was up to me to find an answer!

oa20hk.jpg

I was doing my best to stay out of the refereeing controversy.... this is really getting on my nerves! Every Press Conference!

AtuDWd.jpg

The xG shows a much better picture of how dominant we were.

After the match against Arsenal the team took its show on the road to Kazan to face Rubin.

0ZKlOq.jpg

We were looking to consolidate our place in the table and this was against a close contender.

bBY3iO.jpg

Also I was already thinking of the future of the team.

b8Q5v4.jpg

This match brought us back to earth and did nothing to make me believe referees are unbiased.....

1q4TxZ.jpg

I know that a 9 hour goal drought is something to worry about from a striker, but I think Kuzmin plays the position well as another playmaker.

ZGFA3Q.jpg

But I did let them know that the last match was less than acceptable!

azO3vW.jpg

the xG is an abomination and show how thoroughly we were dominated by the 14 "players" wearing Rubin Jerseys!

The loss against Rubin was followed by a Russian Cup match which we would host.

wuvQGe.jpg

Since we were playing a smaller team no one was expected to show up for the match....

96psLN.jpg

Nosta our adversaries were from the 3rd Tier...we should have had an easy time of it!

1tiVxG.jpg

We played a team with a defense first ethos and almost lost even though we through the Kitchen Sink at them offensively!

gRdukc.jpg

as a reward we will start the second half of the season playing Lokomotiv in the Russian Cup.

The final match of the month would see us host Dinamo Moscow in Kaliningrad.

y4acER.jpg

I didn't expect a win, but I always back my teams and play to win!

0ybsfZ.jpg

We won the game inspite of the Referee!

wdD9Ki.jpg

Another match where the Ref must have a personal vendetta.....5.4 rating. When he averages 7.74!

J7j5EL.jpg

Nadolskyi led the team from the front scoring and assisting on both goals!

Looks like a start of a good ROI!

c0fLYy.jpg

I am literally choking on my tongue not to complain about refereeing!

yrxQ2v.jpg

We won the game we shouldn't have.... with no help from the Ref!

Xy5mFu.jpg

We were under pressure much of the match and only scored on to lucky breakaways. 

League Table

OhWoHV.jpg

Player of the Month

Tamelan Musaev

qSsiBV.jpg

He put in good shift in all his appearances this month including scoring the odd goal or two.

He can play some mean Advanced forward!

Management Report

CCnAf4.jpg

MSsjfp.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

6 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Superb result against Dinamo :applause:and while you said it was on the break a key thing is your options on the ball to break well. The passing map has a lovely shape to it. 

Yes, it was a match in which we soaked up pressure and took our chances. The map is how a 5-2-1-2WB should look. Dinamo stopped us from attacking the flanks and the players naturally played more through the middle. (This is still Nesselquist Ball)

5 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

Nice month.

I too liked the pass map against Dinamo too, while I thought the Orenburg map is a curious shape :onmehead:

See above about Dinamo map. The Orenburg Map is weird mostly because we attacked the Left Flank more and somehow my Strikers didn't get behind their defense, probably because they Parked the Bus!

3 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Good stuff mate. I have never looked up the referee screens on FM maybe I should now :lol:

There is a link in every Results email especially when it is bad refereeing and also in pre-match emails. So, you can plan on not using the "Get Stuck in TI" for example if Ref hands out lots of cards.

4 hours ago, rmcf2017 said:

Just Caught up. Love the save so far and the tactical identity. Russia is however a big money sink, I am surprised they dont have any sort of TV deals. 

I think the TV money is like just regional deals. Most of the money is in Prize Money or Transfers. My team gets a $6M grant each season, because the team is owned by the city in real life.

That is why it is important to get to Europe Group Stages.

We had a taste a couple of season's ago.

As for tactical Identity I intend to stay defense first but become a little more adventurous going forward.

Probably a fluid Counterattack is what I am striving for. Soak up the pressure and then launch a perfectly timed counter either playing out of the back or Over the top!

FC Baltika

ig6LRE.gif

November 2025

Manager's Thoughts

The team is playing well and if we can keep it up there is a chance that we can sneak into a European place. This team has the talent but will need a steady hand to navigate the league schedule. Unfortunately we are almost at the Mid-season Break which often ruins teams' momentum. That is something I will have to figure out if I am to remain managing in Russia.

The 5-2-2-1WB that we are using in home matches is a nod to the fact that we used to be more offensive and prolific before moving up to the Russian Premier League.

That is where I eventually want to go defensively solid, but able to score if a team makes a mistake. 

Schedule

TM5Wj5.jpg

Highlights

The month of November saw Baltika host FC Sochi for the first fixture of the month.

rV6wML.jpg

The Home team was favored mostly because we were the home team....

XC7kbs.jpg

The match was a bacl and forth affair with neither side really breaking down the others defense.

A Set-Piece got us the point.

DOz82M.jpg

according to xG we were the better team, but to really take advantage we need the ball more and our style doesn't encourage it. We soak up pressure and frustrate opponents more than anything.

UEPBJG.jpg

Kuzmin's play got him a 1-year extension since he has become our best Striker!

After the match with Sochi the team headed to the Capital to play Lokomotiv Moscow.

cq6qaT.jpg

The match was highly anticipated and the hosts were favored, but the boys from Baltika played their hearts out and shocked the World!

yRt24t.jpg

The 4-1 win was unexpected, Tamerlan Musaev started putting Ignatjev's hold on the AF position under question.

7CToMY.jpg

The upset made all the headlines in Russia that weekend!

CSCfy7.jpg

The xG shows that the team benefited from Lokomotiv mistakes and we really wern't the better team, but I don't argue with results like this!

While we were upseting Lokomotiv there were rumors swirling about my taking the CSKA job after their manager got fired.

YZUucl.jpg

00wwWM.jpg

I was not going to take the job after overlooking me before, but I would not let anyone know that.

k8LeFV.jpg

On the plus side I made the Board happy!

xkIjU0.jpg

They did offer an interview, but I declined. I have decided that they are my personal rivals!

vvMMlX.jpg

CSKA will never be right for me!

After all the intrigue about the CSKA job, the team still had a schedule and had to be readied to play FC Rostov.

S8F5F7.jpg

Rostov was favored, but like always I back my team to do well...because of our philosophy of defense first!

wPdAwi.jpg

Just before the match with Rostov, I found out that we had another good youth intake!

h7UWWI.jpg

The match with Rostov was a battle of equals and the team didn't play particularly well except for the veterans.

and the result was a draw!

ksoJd2.jpg

Worst part of this draw is that we had a chance to win on a Penalty shot in extra time!

g0WSVt.jpg

I sang the praises of Karpovich, who set up our scoring attempts!

QpH415.jpg

According to xG the hosts were better, but both teams played good defense.

78GSeQ.jpg

After the Rostov match and the CSKA intrigue...the board offered to keep me in Kaliningrad for the time being.

I accepted.

xxanY0.jpg

As far as a future is concerned, if we don't reach Europe before this contract ends. I must assume that I have taken Baltika as far as they can go and will then look for other jobs preferring a Foreign one.

xzBdqX.jpg

I am pleased.... for now!

q7WRBb.jpg

While the Contract negotiations were going on I was trying to entice a young player to join our academy.

EENGHM.jpg

I am hoping that creating correct training schedules will create a good Striker! He has the size, pace and finishing!

The final match of the month would see the team play Krylja Sovetov.

cELCtr.jpg

The visitors were favored, but I always back home underdogs if the odds are close....

fEgXnh.jpg

The team has decided to go back to the 5-2-2-1WB for home game and try and win the middle of the field. The match was memorable for the display in front of goal by Desio the Argentinian Playmaker play as a Shadow Striker!

fgu8Zz.jpg

He was the hero that day!

OU0TVj.jpg

and that completed a successful month....

zb8dOE.jpg

I was not looking to add to the team...I actually thought the players we had could do it!

aZtv2Q.jpg

According to the xG we escaped with a win.... but I will always take it!

USr9LV.jpg

We tried as always to attack the left flank of our opposition. Even if this wasn't the "Nesselquist" formation!

League Table

LVoBJv.jpg

Player of the Month

Tamelan Musaev

vLKrEK.jpg

Monthly Analyst Report

JQTT2U.jpg

The team is putting the biscuit in the basket.... may it long continue!

Management Report

u5RW42.jpg

zeQVo9.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

PS: I had problems with my Image hosting site and work problems that stopped me from posting. I am about a year ahead in game time, but I will be posting 2-3 times a day to catch up on the back log between now and 1/3/22!

I am ending this Career save due to the fact that I have gotten so far behind on the writing.

All I will say is that defense has a place in soccer.

And this save will affect my save that I will write about this summer. I am planning on a resurrection in ENGLISH Football!  and it will be a going back to find the future save. (Unless someone decides to make a save with this team in the meantime). 

I plan on starting that save on June the 6th 2022. What could go wrong.

Thank you for everyone who commented and read my drivel....

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/12/2021 at 00:12, Hootieleece said:

I am ending this Career save due to the fact that I have gotten so far behind on the writing.

All I will say is that defense has a place in soccer.

And this save will affect my save that I will write about this summer. I am planning on a resurrection in ENGLISH Football!  and it will be a going back to find the future save. (Unless someone decides to make a save with this team in the meantime). 

I plan on starting that save on June the 6th 2022. What could go wrong.

Thank you for everyone who commented and read my drivel....

It was a fun ride! Look forward to the next one bud