Dribbling attribute

What does the dribbling attribute do?

Does it dictate how often a player will attempt to go on a dribble run?

Or is that governed by Decisions?

And if it is determined by decisions, then if a player has a high dribble rating then is it correct that its more likely his decisions will tell him to go ion dribbling runs more often because he has a high rating?

Dribbling is basically how good someone is at running past people with the ball and still keeping it under control however the player decides when to dribble and for him to be successful he'll also need acceleration, agility, balance and probably technique

2 hours ago, DarJ said:

Confirmed by who?

Agree to check sources. I don’t think that’s correct. An attribute (assure from “Rushing out”) in isolation. isn’t going to influence behavior. There’s a trait specifically for dribbling more

Edited by s0ni42

The way I experienced it:

Indirectly, a high Dribbling might result in more dribblings: Players with good enough Decisions are more likely to find a better way to advance, depending on position, skills, and opponents. So if they see an opening and have a high dribbling attribute, their decision-making might result in a more ball-oriented approach, whereas a player with low dribbling and moderate passing might instead opt to pass the ball through the opposition or play backwards. Similarly, high Flair might result in more "flashy" moves, particularly if the player has the ability to do it and lower Teamwork might result in a player attempting more "individualistic" approaches

Once they are in a situation where they are attempting to dribble, the attribute is part of what constitutes the success. Agility (for movements and their changes), Balance (for resisting tackles and potentially staying upright), Acceleration (from standstill or low speeds) or Pace (when in full speed) and potentially Technique/First Touch (to govern how well the ball sticks to the foot) are other attributes that play a part in how well it actually goes.

However, that all is also relative to position and PPM. High Decisions (and Teamwork) also mean a player knows what is expected of him. A DMs with 20 Dribbling and Decision will not dribble without need because his role/position has other needs and he should get that. The same player used as WMs however will realise that he can afford to use his skills. Despite both roles neither encouraging nor discouraging dribblings.

It also depends on how well situations allow for the decisions to trigger. Some combinations of skills like high Teamwork, low Decisions, low Dribbling and PI/PPM to dribble more might result in the player dribbling even more because he thinks he has to do it every chance he gets whereas a player with higher Dribbling and Decisions might be able to better pick his spots and thus have fewer but more successful dribblings. Similarly, a top dribbler who plays against worse teams will more often than not see dribblings against a valuable path forwards and attempt them again and again whereas more balanced players will see lots of other options as well.

It is all a pretty complex build and why no two players are exactly the same. Lots of stats interact with each other and govern the decisions being made. So while a high Dribbling might on average create more dribblings, it is no clear simple rule (e.g. "For every point above 10 +5% dribble attempts") and might even be more complicated than a long list of rules. It also isn't a universal rule due to so, so many elements coming together.

On 25/10/2021 at 16:12, 2feet said:

No, it was confirmed to me that if a Dribbling score is higher then that increases the number of dribble attempts

I want to know what else it does

You misinterpreted my extreme example In explaining how many single attributes combine to make successful acts happen in the game. It certainly wasn’t me that confirmed it either.