[FM 22] - Girona Be The Best In Catalonia

ashton321

image.png.423340aa2fe33f4a33175e1acea6cc1b.png

Takeover Report

I have decided to take over the team closest to my heart and that is Girona. I absolutely love them and have done for as long as I can remember. I first went to see them in the late 90s and have been back to see them as often as I can. 

IrzIZfT.png?1

The club spent a couple of years in La Liga a few years ago but have not managed to get back up since. They have recently done well in the playoffs but not managed to take that last jump into La Liga. They are maybe most famous for being part of the Man City Football Group and do benefit from having a few of their players in on loan. 

The aim here will be to become the best team in Spain and eventually Europe. We are some way of that but I am hoping it will be something that I can do. I will also be looking to bring through players from the Youth Team. I am looking forward to this and cannot wait. 

2021/22 Pre-Season

fGFowFw.png?1

Predicted to finish 5th which would put us into the playoffs. I think there is a few teams in this league that are much better than us. We did not have much cash or wage budget to spend to bring in any new players in so I was scratching around a little bit to add some more depth into the squad. The main are of concern for me was the defence. 

B2LQIGT.png?1

wBI9QTE.png?1

The only player to come into the squad was Ki-Jana Hoever he came in on loan from Wolves to add some depth into the defence, he can play at right back but also all the way across the defence at a push if needs be. He was not exactly what I was looking for but we really did need some cover so he was about as good as I could get. 

TCPHtB2.png?1

We were very good in our friendly matches. A very good win against our B squad was an excellent start. Two draws against good La Liga teams was not a bad result either. We finished off with some good results against Italian and a French side which should set us up for a very good season. 

2021/22 August

y9ZJQkG.png?1

6cbgmfK.png?1

We started off the season against a team that I did not think would do much this year. We battered them 4-0. This was followed up with a draw against a newly promoted side, they scored late on to secure a point. It was a game we really should have won really. The last game of the month was against a team that had won their first two games so I was expecting a tough challenge but we won. A decent start puts us top of the league. 

2021/22 September

1z0tnD8.png?1'

Q2Wa3VH.png?1

Huesca are going to be one of the best teams in the league this year. We went 2-0 down and did not have enough to come back into the game and win despite causing pressure. Two games against sides at the bottom end of the table resulted in two solid wins to put us right back in the chase at the top of the table. A draw to finish off the month was decent but Christian Stuani did miss a pen to get us a win but all in all a decent result and a decent month. 

2021/22 October

MxSQpd3.png?1

CQn5ZAl.png?1

Burgos are not a good side and one that we should really be beating but we did not seem to turn and suffered a poor loss. Another poor result against Real Sociedad B as we did not play very well again. We followed that up with two very good wins over two teams who will not doubt be in the promotion picture come the end of the season. Another poor result ended the month as conceded late on suffering a poor draw. 

2021/22 November 

M1OlKfy.png?1

wlJAeAr.png?1

Another month, we started off with a win against the team bottom of the League. We followed this up with a win over Tenerife with a last minute goal, it was a good game and one that we were maybe a little bit lucky to win. We played Almeria, and to be fair they outclassed us a little bit as we struggled and lost 1-0. A very good win followed up against Sporting who will be a team in promotion contention this year 

2021/22 December

jRRvYuE.png?1

Ck09yKM.png?1

To start off the month we played the team that were top of the League and maybe one of the best teams in the League. We managed to get a massive win over them. We then beat another decent side in Ponferradina. We did not turn up in the Cup game as we lost against Malaga, we could not seem to do anything going forward. Real Zaragoza came up next another decent side but once again we managed a decent result against them. Christian Stuani was amazing this month. 

2021/22 January

66XBm3p.png?1

urWf4C7.png?1

We started off with a fantastic win over a struggling side we did really 3 goals is not something we do so often but its nice to do it. A draw against a side who are right at the top of the league was nothing to be sniffed at. Two wins followed against Mid table teams to put us in first place. A bore draw to finish the month was decent but could have been better but in the end more than half way through the season (just) and we are top of the league. 

ncxwPpA.png?1

0dWtyOi.png?1

Luke comes in from our parent club to add some more depth at centre half he is good and was very much needed after Juanpe left for 1million, he is really good and I did not want him to leave but he had said he was leaving on a free at the end of the season so I decided that I better cash in. I think overall we are a little weaker but I am not overly concerned as I dont think its that much of a downgrade. 

2021/22 February

Kv7ISzE.png?1

94yrUmf.png?1

Oviedo are in the relegation zone so I was hoping for a win but they stuck firm and it was only a draw that we managed. A superb win over Huesca followed before another decent win. We drew or last game but we did go down to 10 men so it was not the worst thing

Edited by ashton321

2021/22 March

a0ewctM.png?1

R0Lgmz1.png?1

What a magical month we had. A massive win over one of the biggest teams in the league was not a bad start. We then beat a midtable side in decent fashion which was good because we had previously struggled against them. Our biggest win of the season came against a team near the bottom of the league. We finished off with a draw, I think we should have done better here but a draw will do. 

Edited by ashton321

2021/22 April

ZcOO1Y0.png?1

O9VYtch.png?1

We started off with a game against Leganes they just edged us out as we suffered our first defeat in a very long time. A 1-0 win over Lugo was good but we did not play well and was saved a little bit by Christian Stuani. We could not quite manage to get the win over Tenerife despite being by far the better team. We were playing well but just not quite scoring enough, then came Almeria a really good side but we took them apart, we were amazing. In the last game of the the month we played Ponfe they had nothing to play for but held us to a draw, we cannot really afford to be dropping points at this late stage. 

2021/22 May/June

T2fBHJX.png?1

qdNNrGi.png?1

We started off the month knowing that we would need to keep in good form to grab one of the promotion spots. We drew our first two games in the month and this knocked us out of the top two. Then came a loss against Real Zaragoza, we just did not play well and we were not scoring enough. I made the decision to drop Christian Stuani and started Bustos and it worked as we beat Malaga 1-0. We won the last game against Alcorcon and lucky enough Malaga were playing Almeria and were beaten this gave us enough to snatch the last promotion spot. 

F7eqOiW.png?1

We were always near the top of the league and spent a long time at the top. The last few weeks showed us moving up and down a little bit. We really needed to keep the form up. 

JrD9EFN.png?1

Bernardo was the best player for us this year. An absolute beast at the back he scored a few as well from corners mainly and was a huge danger for us at set pieces. He will be a huge part of our plans for next year in La Liga.  

2022/23 Pre-Season

fYFdbQn.png?1

The media do not seem to think that we have much hope. I think there is a few teams around the bottom that we have a good chance of beating and getting some points off. 

yZHiOn6.png?1

We took the boys off to Portugal for a tour and all the friendlies were played over there. I dont think we played amazingly well and we could have done a little better but throughout this we were making some changes to the team and the tactics. 

First player into the squad in the summer was Jean Michael Seri who joined on a free from Fulham. I think he will add some depth in the middle of the park and maybe a full time starter, I think his talent is decent for a free transfer. Pape Matar Sarr joined from Spurs on loan, another midfielder but can play across all three centre midfield spots. Romeo Lavia joined on a loan from Man City, I dont think I will actually need him but he is good for depth. Ben Woodburn joined on a free from Liverpool, I think he is a really good signing for us, he will be playing down the left wing and will be a first teamer. The final signing is maybe my best. He is coming in the next day or two in game, Matias Arezo he has been a bit of a star on FM over the last couple of years so I am hoping he will continue that this year. He is excellent and I am hoping will become a replacement for Christian Stuani who is getting on a little bit. 

0ebmFZV.png?1

Sd0PD4v.png?1

4UCYClK.png?1

DjwMEum.png?1

LNoMqL8.png?1

Congratulations on promotion. Probably had to work harder for it than necessary but the job was done in the end which is the only thing that matters. The aim this season will simply be about survival and hopefully the reinforcements will have enough quality to add to the promotion-winning squad in order for you to achieve that. 

Seri was once touted to land a big move so there is obvious quality in there somewhere. Let’s hope you can find it!

45 minutes ago, deltablue said:

It's nice to have an early promotion, and you've reinforced well.

Cheers pal 

19 minutes ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

Congratulations on promotion. Probably had to work harder for it than necessary but the job was done in the end which is the only thing that matters. The aim this season will simply be about survival and hopefully the reinforcements will have enough quality to add to the promotion-winning squad in order for you to achieve that. 

Seri was once touted to land a big move so there is obvious quality in there somewhere. Let’s hope you can find it!

Thats my thoughts on him although he has not played yet due to injuries.

2022/23 August

H9sw40s.png?1

No more players came into the club save for the defender who we had on loan last year from Man City. I managed to get rid of a couple of players on loan to get some experience, I dont think they will make it but experience will do them good. I also got rid of Junca, he didnt play huge amounts last year and has decided to leave at the end of the year so I cashed in.

ehJUPET.png?1

gftdiAc.png?1

We started our season against Osasuna a club that I had targeted to get points off. A superb 3-0 win saw us off the mark with points early on. An away loss to Celta was not ideal but they are good side so I was not surprised. Two 1-0 wins followed against sides who will be struggling this year so that was good and something we needed early on. We finished the month with a loss to Athletic Club who despite the poor start are still a very good side.  

2022/23 September

HQkJ2tx.png?1

0G6eB9Q.png?1

It is the toughest month that we have had. We started against Sevilla and we were in the game up until the 60th minute then we just succumb to the better quality of player. Barca next and we did not stand a chance we played terribly and paid for it. We finished with a credible draw against Valencia. One point was better than I thought it would be really. Next up Real Madrid so it does not get any better. 

2022/23 October

VfOJGwu.png?1

m4A9Xww.png?1

Our run of really tough games continued with a good performance against Real Madrid we did not quite have enough to get anything out of the game. We did not manage to compete with Villareal as they outclassed us. We then two games against teams that will be in the bottom half with us, its more important to get points in these games than against the bigger teams. We finished the month with a very good win against another team who are struggling this year. 

2022/23 December

Q5fSI3a.png?1

PBlmlk4.png?1

No football in November as the World Cup was on. So it was back to football in December, with only two games though. We played first against a lower league side in the cup and we did not play very well at all. The kids were playing and some of the reserves played, we managed to win but only with a late goal. We had one league game in which Betis beat us

2022/23 January 

Y6cQ4f9.png?1

sibKGpi.png?1

We began the month with another game in the Copa Del Rey, we did well and managed to get another win. We faced Sevilla next in the Cup and we did so well getting all the way to Penalties. It was 4-4 then Arezo missed his pen and then they scored and we were out. We suffered two big defeats to some very good sides. We then suffered two defeats against two teams that I would ideally like to be winning against. I tried to bring in a new keeper and also a new defender but I just could not get deals over the line due to our small budget. I think its going to be a case of hanging on in the league really until we get our summer budget.

2022/23 February 

loxlzXr.png?1

U6HIBDL.png?1

I decided to loosen the reigns a little bit. I moved my wingers to Attacking IW and IF. I also went from a more Cautious style to a more Positive style. We lost against Huesca in a close game but we did play better. A decent draw against Osasuna was good but we were not the best team in the game. Two good wins over Alaves and Celta (who were second). I finished the month with another win over Elche. This puts us in a fairly strong position going into the back end of the year. I am really hopeful we can seal survival. 

2022/23 March

vB6NbI7.png?1

qkoWFVz.png?1

We had some tough games this month. The teams we faced were maybe four of the biggest teams in Spain so to come out of this with anything would be amazing. We lost three of the games and won one of them. I was ok with this because in all of them we played very well in every game. We were not outclassed in any game.

12 hours ago, withnail316 said:

Congrats on the promotion. Hopefully you can finish strongly and pull back up towards midtable. Brenes looks like a star in the making, too!

Cheers pal, yeah I like the look of him he is already in the first team

12 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Good progress so far. Interesting to see if you will be using the link up with city much. 

Cheers pal. I dont think City will be used too much

2022/23 April

TpQ1owT.png?1

RHda0T4.png?1

Going into the month the idea was to try and push away from the bottom of the league and create a bit of a safety cushion. We started that plan off well with a great win over Valencia. A draw against Getafe followed in a game which we really should have won as we were much the better team. Two poor performances followed. Dropping all three points to Mallorca was not ideal. We finished with a draw against another team that we should have beaten. I think I need to get the players closer to Arezo up top he is a little bit isolated sometimes. 

13 minutes ago, craiigman said:

You guys are rapid at progressing through the seasons!

Hahaha I am doing loving it

1 hour ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

Quite a close division from 13th-19th. I can tell you’re really enjoying this save/game judging by how quickly you’re churning out these updates!

It is very close mate all the teams at the bottom can beat each other

2022/23 May

96AVQR7.png?1

Kb07tep.png?1

Three losses to start the month off and no goals scored. We were not really in the games either which was more disappointing. The Espanyol game was awful as we could just not seem to get anything going. The draw over Atleti was amazing and in all honesty we could have maybe even won that game. We then beat Huesca and that was enough to confirm our survival for next season. We lost the last game of the season but I think by this point we had turned off a little bit. 

SiFWxPI.png?1

I think we started off the season really well and that in the end is what saved us. I am really pleased with that we stayed up. I think we need to do some work next season, one of the things we need to improve us up top I think Arezo is still the man for us but we need to get players closer to him and maybe a little more attacking. I am not sure if we maybe look at moving the defensive midfielder into another centre midfield player. I also think a few more players will hopefully come in the off season to. 

IdwXpFY.png?1

Player of the season for me and he has maybe had the most influential season he has had for a long time at a club. He has been brilliant. Just does everything that is asked of him. I think I have managed to get the best out of him at the latter stage of his career. 

2023/24 Pre Season

lqintFr.png?1

We moved into our new stadium in the off season. It looks like a decent enough Stadium although our last Stadium was 12,000 all seater so it does not seem to make sense to spend so much moving to a slightly larger one.

6ePnHLv.png?1

WOzfYQK.png?1

We are still one of the favourites to go down next year. We have a slightly better set odds than last year but still not great. I think the teams that have come up this year look slightly better than those who went down so I think it will be a little bit more of a tough season for us. Pre season has been superb we have scored a lot of goals and that is something I was looking for going into the new season

3wslXAo.png?1

A couple of loan players went out of the club to try and get some game time. They are both decent prospects and I hope a bit of game time will help them develop. Borja left as he was just not going to get any game time and at 32 it was time to get him off the wage budget. Alex Garcia was not a player who I wanted to leave but he was unhappy as he did not play as much as he would have liked towards the end of the season. Matias Arezo nearly left the club as Chelsea, Liverpool and PSG all wanted him but would not pay his release clause I explained this to the player and he remained happy. 

Pol Lozano - came in on loan from Espanyol he will add some depth in the middle of the park. 

Adrian Solveyra - a good talent who joined on a free and then went out on loan, I think he could be decent. 

Juan Cruz - another player in on a free, he could improve and will certainly get some games this year.

Cesear Gelabert - I brought him on a free, he will play but is an option if I take out the defensive midfielder for an attacking midfield player

Claudio Gomes - in on a free from Man City he will be a good option at the back

Moussa N'Diaye - an option at left back joined from Barca for £600,000

Alvaro Fernandez  - £4,000,000 from Huesca it is a lot of money but he is a superb keeper that will make our team miles better.

2023/24 August

q4rAoew.png?2

GnLDYmx.png?1

Two games to start the year off against two very good sides. We started against Celta in a close game we managed to get a draw. The next game was against Barca we were winning until the last minute until we conceded. I would have taken a draw pre game but to be so close to a win feels a little like a loss. 

g4EAh75.png?1

Aihen Munoz joined from Real Sociedad for £500,000 he will be a first choice at left back and I think for the amount we have spent he looks pretty decent. 

2023/24 September

qTye0EX.png?1

xU2nZ0M.png?1

We started off the month with a game against Espanyol we really needed to beat them as they will be near the bottom of the league a Arezo pen was enough for us. We followed that up with a very credible point against Valencia. Real Betis are a good side and doing very well this year so to loose was not a real surprise. Levante are another side that are struggling and think that will be at the bottom of the year so another win was great. We finished the month with a loss to Sevilla. 

2023/24 October 

Bd69sQM.png?1

4kMQfq3.png?1

We had a very tough month this month as there were great teams that we had to go up against. Athletic Club was the first team and they beat us fairly handily 2-0. We absolutely smashed Real Sociedad 4-0 in what is maybe the best game we have ever played. We then played Real Madrid and success was so close but two late goals meant we lost. All in all I am happy enough with the month. 

1 hour ago, Muttley84 said:

Wanted to do something similar last year, but only using Catalan players, I was torn between Girona and Sabadell. In the end I abandoned that idea but will follow yours... fingers crossed!

Cheers pal, I am hoping to bring in some of the youngsters to play

2023/24 November

pPZ72CU.png?1

VmT7j52.png?1

A slightly easier month for us but that meant that we had to win these games as it would help us in the relegation battle. Atleti first up and we got a really solid draw out of it. Cadiz came to our place next and we got a superb result. We then visited Getafe and a great win gave us another 3 points. We followed this up with another solid win over Granada. One thing that has to be mentioned is Juan Cruz came in and played really well. I signed him in the summer as a bit of a gamble but he has fast become a starter for us. 

On 25/10/2021 at 21:51, Matt_1979 said:

Great start. I’m planning a Girona save once the full game drops so will follow carefully. 

Cheers pal let me know how you get on

13 hours ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

Cracking start to this season!

Its not been too bad but survival is still the first aim

2023/24 December

A6Hab35.png?1

eEvGvfe.png?1

Two one nil defeats to begin the month was not ideal as we could have done with at least three points from our two games to stay in European discussion. We did then smash the bottom of the league in a superb win. We managed to get through the cup game by taking apart a lower league side. What followed was another defeat to finish the year.