Game crashing at processing day. Main save now disappeared and backups won’t load

Hi,

Me and 2 friends have been playing an online game. The games been far too glitchy and often gets stuck with the same issue of generating press report (we’ve found continuing at the same time can help avoid that issue). But with this issue we were trying to continue and when it was processing onto the next day it would crash, forcing us to dashboard.

This happened a few times until the main save file disappeared and the backups won’t load.

Teams managed - Monza, Vicenza, Livorno (Originally Chievo, if that makes a difference)

Leagues Loaded - England Spain France Germany Italy

In-game date - the save date was 22nd January 2022, the game crashes while processing on to 28th January 2022. This was a game day for Vicenza and consistently crashed at that date. We were planning to go on holiday next time to try and resolve that issue, but the save disappeared.

Steps to reproduce - load the save file Connor Wood - Monza, play the game as normal until crashing on processing towards 28th January 2022

So as mentioned, the main save game is now no longer showing on to be able to load it. Attempting to load backup v02 or v03 (this has different save date of 8th January) and we are presented with unable to load saved game.

It not sure it would make sense to expect the back ups to be corrupted, so hoping it’s not that. And no idea why the main save has disappeared.

Note these were saved to the cloud.

Also note that 2 out of 3 players are playing on Xbox series x, and the other started on Xbox one x then moved to pc.

Not sure if there is any further info I can give you that might help?

yeah me and my mate are having this same problem

14 hours ago, Interista4 said:

Hi,

Me and 2 friends have been playing an online game. The games been far too glitchy and often gets stuck with the same issue of generating press report (we’ve found continuing at the same time can help avoid that issue). But with this issue we were trying to continue and when it was processing onto the next day it would crash, forcing us to dashboard.

This happened a few times until the main save file disappeared and the backups won’t load.

Teams managed - Monza, Vicenza, Livorno (Originally Chievo, if that makes a difference)

In-game date - the save date was 22nd January 2022, the game crashes while processing on to 28th January 2022. This was a game day for Vicenza and consistently crashed at that date. We were planning to go on holiday next time to try and resolve that issue, but the save disappeared.

Steps to reproduce - load the save file Connor Wood - Monza, play the game as normal until crashing on processing towards 28th January 2022

So as mentioned, the main save game is now no longer showing on to be able to load it. Attempting to load backup v02 or v03 (this has different save date of 8th January) and we are presented with unable to load saved game.

It not sure it would make sense to expect the back ups to be corrupted, so hoping it’s not that. And no idea why the main save has disappeared.

Also note that 2 out of 3 players are playing on Xbox series x, and the other started on Xbox one x then moved to pc.

me and my mate are having this problem

• SI Staff

Hi guys, very sorry to hear you've run into these issues and thanks for the info you've provided.

We're very concerned about the save corruption you mentioned, so we will try to reproduce that on our end - @Interista4 did you say you uploaded a save to our ownCloud server?

The update we released last night should have improved stability in online games significantly, so please let us know if you're still encountering crashes after updating.

1 hour ago, Alex Pitt said:

Hi guys, very sorry to hear you've run into these issues and thanks for the info you've provided.

We're very concerned about the save corruption you mentioned, so we will try to reproduce that on our end - @Interista4 did you say you uploaded a save to our ownCloud server?

The update we released last night should have improved stability in online games significantly, so please let us know if you're still encountering crashes after updating.

Nope the update has made it freeze everytime now 

18 hours ago, Alex Pitt said:

Is that from a new game or a pre-existing save?

Ours was from pre-existing. Can’t reproduce the issue since update as can’t access our game with my issues mentioned in original post

Edited by Interista4

On 18/12/2020 at 17:01, Alex Pitt said:

Yeah the saves were to the cloud.

After the update the main save is still missing. And the back up saves still won’t load, so unable to physically get into any versions of that game to check for the crashes.

Are you able to recover the missing save file from your cloud service?

@Alex Pitt

Edited by Interista4
Typo

2 hours ago, Bleader14 said:

Any update on this @Alex Pitt? Online career’s are the only reason me and my mates bought the game, seems pointless starting a new save since we’ve put so much time into our current one.

Same for me. Only reason I bought the Xbox version was to play with friends. It’s already rubbish I have to buy the full version on top of that, never mind adding in that the Xbox version isn’t working as it should. @Alex Pitt, can we get an update before everything slows down for the festive period?

• SI Staff
On 19/12/2020 at 13:30, Interista4 said:

Are you able to recover the missing save file from your cloud service?

Unfortunately we don't have direct access to the files you save in Xbox Edition as they are all cloud-based and handled at Microsoft's end - I was confused by you mentioning a file name in your original post, so thought you had found a way to extract the save and send it to us via our cloud service

I'm afraid to say that, because we aren't able to access the save files created on Xbox Edition due to the way the Play Anywhere cloud saving system works, it's very unlikely we'll be able to recover save files which have become corrupted. We've since released the 21.1.3 minor update which comes with significant stability improvements, so the best thing I can recommend is starting a new game where you'll be unlikely to encounter the same issue again. Sincere apologies again for the inconvenience caused.

41 minutes ago, Alex Pitt said:

Unfortunately we don't have direct access to the files you save in Xbox Edition as they are all cloud-based and handled at Microsoft's end - I was confused by you mentioning a file name in your original post, so thought you had found a way to extract the save and send it to us via our cloud service

I'm afraid to say that, because we aren't able to access the save files created on Xbox Edition due to the way the Play Anywhere cloud saving system works, it's very unlikely we'll be able to recover save files which have become corrupted. We've since released the 21.1.3 minor update which comes with significant stability improvements, so the best thing I can recommend is starting a new game where you'll be unlikely to encounter the same issue again. Sincere apologies again for the inconvenience caused.

Can you comment on the backup saves not being able to be loaded?

I’d really like to not have to start again @Alex Pitt

• SI Staff

Hi @Interista4,  thanks for posting. 

Just to clarify without a way for us to access your saves, it is very unlikely that we would be able to recover corrupted files, since we have released the 21.1.3 minor update which comes with significant stability improvements, the best thing we can recommend is starting a new game where you'll be unlikely to encounter the same issue again. 

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. 

On 29/12/2020 at 11:53, Michael Mallia said:

Hi @Interista4,  thanks for posting. 

Just to clarify without a way for us to access your saves, it is very unlikely that we would be able to recover corrupted files, since we have released the 21.1.3 minor update which comes with significant stability improvements, the best thing we can recommend is starting a new game where you'll be unlikely to encounter the same issue again. 

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. 

Thanks @Michael Mallia. So are you suggesting the backup saves have become corrupted? My issue was twofold - the main save file has disappeared AND the backups wont load. I appreciate you cant recover the randomly missing save file, but are you now saying the backups are corrupted? Being a QA myself, I appreciate there isnt much for you to invesitage and be able to reproduce this (and you potentially have fixed the root cause) - but as you can understand I'd like to be clear that both issues have been concluded.

• SI Staff

Hi @Interista4, thank you for your response.

We are currently investigating issues surrounding the Cloud saves and are working together with Microsoft to try and find a resolution as we have had a number of reports of people having similar issues following the update 

I'm unable to confirm whether the saves are corrupted beyond repair as the issue may not be with the save files being corrupted as it is an issue with them being accessed from the cloud.

Appreciate this doesn't clear things up from my original statement but just so you are aware we are still looking into this issue and hope that the resolution will allow you to recover these save files. 

22 hours ago, Michael Mallia said:

We are currently investigating issues surrounding the Cloud saves and are working together with Microsoft to try and find a resolution as we have had a number of reports of people having similar issues following the update 

I'm unable to confirm whether the saves are corrupted beyond repair as the issue may not be with the save files being corrupted as it is an issue with them being accessed from the cloud.

Appreciate this doesn't clear things up from my original statement but just so you are aware we are still looking into this issue and hope that the resolution will allow you to recover these save files. 

Thanks again @Michael Mallia, and Happy New Year.

Would it be possible to ask if you can post here if you feel there is a resolution to the above problem and we can try our saves again? In the meanwhile, we will try with every need game update.

Also, if there is anything else I can do to help you investigate this, let me know.

Thanks

On 31/12/2020 at 13:04, Michael Mallia said:

I've bought your game for 1 reason and that was to play a save with my friends, we have put so much time into it for nothing and feel like we have been conned out of our money as your game bugged and ruined our experience

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2020 at 13:04, Michael Mallia said:

Hey @Michael Mallia,

I was wondering if there has been any progress in your investigations with Cloud saves?

Thanks,

On 01/01/2021 at 23:16, Interista4 said:

Thanks again @Michael Mallia, and Happy New Year.

Would it be possible to ask if you can post here if you feel there is a resolution to the above problem and we can try our saves again? In the meanwhile, we will try with every need game update.

Also, if there is anything else I can do to help you investigate this, let me know.

Thanks

Hi @Michael Mallia,

I saw there has been an update released, but this still doesnt resolve the issue. Can you share any more information please?

Thanks

• SI Staff

Hi all, 

Unfortunately this issue is still currently under review. We apologise for any disruptions that this may be causing you.

Would it be possible to get some more information from you? Ideally could you let us know how much save space you have remaining? You can see this within the 'Load Game dialog' to the right of the screen.

Can you also confirm the save frequency (weekly, monthly) and save type (single, 3 file rolling) that you are using?

Any additional information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi rob, 

I have the same issue as this person that’s posted. Mine is a weekly save  3 rolling, and mine got stuck on the 29th sept, playing as manutd & mancity 2 users on Xbox series x loading 10 nations. It got stuck on this date as we restarted the game an the save has gone. We found it after a few restarts an it’s unable to load the save game this has happened multiple times. So we started the game again and same thing happened but 10 days into the season we couldn’t save the game at all just gets stuck on “saving”

Edited by Xwaxassassin

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2020 at 12:50, Interista4 said:

Hi,

It's something to do with Microsoft cloud that's corrupting saves affects new gens of xbox there investigating at the moment. 

On 18/12/2020 at 17:01, Alex Pitt said:

Can you please try and fix the online problem that is happening on the Xbox.

4 hours ago, Rob Heckman said:

Hi guys, unfortunately we are still looking into this issue and are still in contact with Microsoft. Apologies for the inconvenience.

@Rob Heckman hi mate I understand it’s hard at the minute with COVID so it’s harder to sort things out but my game has been completely unplayable for two months, I don’t think I’ve received a reply from sega support even though I emailed 3 weeks ago. What can be done about a refund as Microsoft has denied my request as it didn’t meet their refund terms surely a game being unplayable for that long should warrant a refund? Is there anything SEGA can do on this matter ?

• SI Staff

Hi guys, we have a possible solution for you to send any saves over to us that are experiencing crashes however, this will only be possible if you have a PC (Windows 10). 

@danterry1411 @StayFrosty @Chris Evans93 @Interista4 @Xwaxassassin

If you are playing on console or switching between console and PC, then follow these steps:

1) Launch FM21 Xbox Edition on Windows 10 and sign into your account (this will start to sync data across from the console)

2) Once the title launches, load the affected file from the 'Load Game' or 'Load Last Game' dialog

3) Once the save has loaded please minimize the game and go to the following: C:\Users\YOUR.NAME\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2021 Xbox Edition\Temporary

4) Within the Temporary folder you will find the save (please note that the save and information will disappear soon after opening)

5) Copy the save file from the folder to another location (for example the desktop)

6) Upload to our cloud service (details copied below)

If you are playing on the PC version, then follow these steps:

1) Launch FM21 Xbox Edition on Windows 10 and sign into your account 

2) Once the title launches, load the affected file from the 'Load Game' or 'Load Last Game' dialog

3) Once the save has loaded please minimize the game and go to the following: C:\Users\YOUR.NAME\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2021 Xbox Edition\Temporary

4) Within the Temporary folder you will find the save (please note that the save and information will disappear soon after opening)

5) Copy the save file from the folder to another location (for example the desktop)

• SI Staff

Unfortunately @danterry1411 this appears to be the only way as they are saving temporarily on PC (which isn't possible on console). We are talking about this issue with Microsoft but if anyone does happen to have a Windows 10 device then we can speed the process up even more. 

• SI Staff

Hi @danterry1411, it won't be impossible as they have provided those details to Microsoft (as it's within their cloud service) so that they can give us the information that we require. It's just impossible for us to directly grab the saves from the console. Thanks.

On 09/03/2021 at 11:46, Rob Heckman said:

Hi guys, we have a possible solution for you to send any saves over to us that are experiencing crashes however, this will only be possible if you have a PC (Windows 10). 

@danterry1411 @StayFrosty @Chris Evans93 @Interista4 @Xwaxassassin

If you are playing on console or switching between console and PC, then follow these steps:

1) Launch FM21 Xbox Edition on Windows 10 and sign into your account (this will start to sync data across from the console)

If you are playing on the PC version, then follow these steps:

1) Launch FM21 Xbox Edition on Windows 10 and sign into your account 

Hey @Rob Heckman,

The problem we have is the game fails to load. Is there any guidance on that?

Thanks

• SI Staff

Hi @Interista4, thanks for responding. You could try following the steps above on a PC and seeing whether the corrupted file appears in the 'temporary' folder. It might make it appear in the folder for you to copy it to your desktop and upload to us. I can't say we've tried it but it's worth a shot.

By sending the save it gives us the opportunity to look at it directly and investigate further.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...