The Liverpool Thread 05/06 - Former Champions of Europe

Justified

• Replies 40.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Possibly conference? Division 3? Dunno, but that means nothing. They'll shut up shop and we will probably struggle to break down a 8 man defence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im sure king carragher will break em down icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phreaky:

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/transfernews.asp?type=showconfirmed&cpid=8

Scroll down to Liverpool

icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, we know we've not signed anyone yet- why rush and buy a duffer when you can wait and find the right one

TNS head chief said on their official webpage that this was gonna be a big game for them, And in my opinion before we sign any new attackers I, with great emphasis on I, feel that Mellor should be given much more chances to play first team football as he has shown already what he is able to do, and it would be nice to have a striker that comes from our own Junior acadamy. we already have Cissé, Morientes, and possibly Baros for the next season. Pongolles hsould be given more chances on the right midfield as he was quite good against Olympiacos, and Le Tallec seems to just have dissapeared from Benitez plans if he ever had any for him. Mellor is the future anyway!! icon_razz.gif

regarding the thread title.

i think it should be:

"The Liverpool thread"

don't need offical cos any other thread will be closed.

don't need 05/06 cos the thread may last to 06/07

don't need champions of europe because the whole of the board know that liverpool are the champions of europe and such excessive bragging about our success is just plain tacky.

people already know who are champions, they don't need to see it everyday for the forthcoming season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

We have to brag. It seems also that all club threads are 1 season only from now on, So it won't last to 06/07 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no need to brag, when we are successful, we should stay humble, show our class and not resort to petty bragging.

People have had to put up with ****-ish Man Utd fans talking about 1999 for 6 years, we don't need to follow in how some ****-ish man utd fans have been by bragging about it 24/7/365.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dangerous Dave:

enough talk of the thread title and whatnot?

let's get back to more pressing issues, like another season of struggling for cl football </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good point,

no struggling this season i think,

think we'd do quite well, and re-affirm who is the dominent club on the mersey and the best northern side are.

got a chance, i think of finishing about man utd. with the relatively lack of squad midfielders, i can imagine (hope) that they won't be able to cope with the loss to injury to roy keane/giggs/ronaldo/scholes for a few months of the season, which will help us to nip ahead to get 3rd place at least in the league.

think chelsea and arsenal have just that litle too much quality over man utd and us.

The Problem with Pongolle being in centre, is that there just isn't place for him there. And to this date he seems to be our best (only?) option on the right wing. Josemi have not impressed anyone. Finnan is right back. Garcia cuts in to the middle when playing on right. At least we can hope that we get a real right winger somehow before the season kicks off. Got my doubts about SWP making the move. Anyway, first match should be a "sure" winner. But we cannot risk it by using some b-team starting line up. As long as we focus on the match an don't take it too easy.

OK. do any of you belive we will get some significant input from the clubs youth this year? A La the ind we got from Mellor and warnock before they got injured? I'm sad that Foy hasn't had a chance on the a team yet. I haven't seen him personally play yet, but him being a regular in the reserve squad for years now and being a right winger being able to use both his foots I wouldn't mind seeing him getting a shot on the team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

SWP off to Chelski by the looks of it - he would have been class at Anfield icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed.. We need a right winger desperatly IMO icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

Mellor ifs. Pongolle has no future on the right. He's improving all the time down the centre though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree-ish. Its harsh to say he's got no future on the right, he was our best option there at the time Rafa played him there. Although i admit i much prefer him in the centre. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

SWP off to Chelski by the looks of it - he would have been class at Anfield icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But the good thing about that quote is that it says Pearce will use the money on Crouch. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

But the good thing about that quote is that it says Pearce will use the money on Crouch. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every cloud...

Maybe now he'll score 25 goals for City plus a stunning hat-trick at Anfield, which included an overhead kick in front of the kop...

...Maybe not.

For thos interested in the Diarra saga;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Martel's Diarra relief

by Patrick Haond - created on 24 Jun 2005

Lens chairman Gervais Martel has admitted it was difficult to persuade Liverpool to part with Alou Diarra.

The France midfielder was determined to stay with Sang et Or after an impressive loan season at the club but Rafa Benitez was not convinced he should allow the player to leave.

After tying the 23-year-old to a four-year contract, Martel was a relieved man.

"The process lasted longer than was first expected," he stated. "We seized the option, but everyone had to sign it.

"Liverpool chased after the player and Alou thought about other propositions he had.

"But I was confident as he gave me his word."

The former Bayern Munich man is delighted to have clinched the move to Lens on a permanent basis.

"I feel well in the Lens squad," he affirmed. "The fans appreciate me, like the other players.

"I joined the French team group and the coach has kept me in while playing at Lens.

"All those factors were important."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FFS Sky Sports.. icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It is now believed that the player offered by Rafa Benitez was either French forward Anthony Le Tallec or Spanish winger Antonio Lopez. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who is Antonio Lopez? icon_biggrin.gif

Having just read the Wright-Phillips to Chelsea thread, have a look at this;

Wingers;

Chelsea - Robben, Duff, SWP(possible)

Arseanl - Pires, Ljungberg, Reyes

Man Utd - Ronaldo, Giggs, Fletcher

Liverpool - Riise, Kewell, Nunez.

Spot the difference. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

Having just read the Wright-Phillips to Chelsea thread, have a look at this;

Wingers;

Chelsea - Robben, Duff, SWP(possible)

Arseanl - Pires, Ljungberg, Reyes

Man Utd - Ronaldo, Giggs, Fletcher

Liverpool - Riise, Kewell, Nunez.

Spot the difference. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the other teams have at least one winger with 7 or more letters in their surnames icon_biggrin.gif

_Pires is likely gone from Arsenal and Ljungberg still has to prove he can come back.

_Fletcher is by no means a true winger for me, he's just a very good midfielder that can play out wide (ala Beckham)

And Giggs, while he is one of the few United players I like is a good way past his prime.

Besides, we'll add one winger for sure, and paying that amount for SWP (I'm hearing £18M-£22M is (a) outside of our budget (b) completely out of order when you can buy the same quality for about half the price when the player is NOT english.

Shame about SWP, I thought we might be able to pull something off with him and maybe we could launch a bid now that this news has come through but it looks unlikely icon13.gif

Bit off speculation regarding us this morning, from the BBC gossip page.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Liverpool hope to offer a player plus cash deal, possibly involving keeper Jerzy Dudek, for Feyenoord striker Dirk Kuyt (The Sun).

TNS have asked Liverpol legend Ian Rush to come out of retirement to play against his old club in the Champions League qualifier (Daily Express).

Liverpool are close to signing 18-year-old Seville full-back Antonio Barragan, the Spanish club claim (The Times). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Barragan news is a few days old now, but TNS and Rush icon_biggrin.gif

Ticket details for the CL qualifiers:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUALIFIER TICKET NEWS

Michael Crowder. 24 June 2005

Liverpoolfc.tv have released the follwoing ticket information.

UEFA Champions League

1st & 2nd Round Qualifying Matches

Dates of Sales for both rounds

28/06/05 All Fancard Holders

30/06/05 General Sale

Full Selling Details

The dates set by UEFA for the 1st and 2nd round qualifying matches are as follows: -

The 1st Round will either be played on 12th or 13th July with the second leg of the tie being played on 19th or 20th July 2005.

The 2nd Round will be played on either 26th or 27th July with the second leg of the tie being played on 2nd or 3rd August 2005.

It is possible that the dates of the matches will not be confirmed until early week commencing 27th June. In the event that the date and kick off times have not been confirmed prior to the commencement of the sale it is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure they have the correct information.

Due to the dates of these fixtures and the normal administration being carried out in the Club at this time of the year i.e. season ticket renewals it has been necessary to change the method of sale. Tickets for both matches will be available for purchase at the same time. Liverpool F.C. would point out that it does not condone the selling of tickets on the assumption of progressing in the competition but has been left with no other option due to the close proximity of Rounds 1 and 2.

The priority system for any future rounds of the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Cup will not be used from either of these qualifying matches.

In the event the Club are eliminated from the competition at the 1st Round stage full refunds excluding any booking fees will be given to supporters that have purchased tickets for the 2nd Round. In order to obtain a refund the full ticket for the 2nd Round will have to be returned to the Ticket Office.

The price of tickets for both matches will be as follows: -

Adults £10

Children £5

Over 65's £7.50

Disabled £7.50

Disabled Personal Assistant No charge

Tickets will beavailable to All Fan Card Holders from Tuesday 28th June 2005 either by personal application at the Ticket Office, by the Credit Card telephone line 0870 220 0034, online at http://www.liverpoolfc.tv or by post. Postal applications with the correct remittance should be sent to, The Ticket Office, P.O. Box 204, Liverpool L69 4PQ.

For personal applicants Fan Cards must be presented at the time of sale. Supporters ordering tickets over the telephone or by post will be required to quote their Fan Card numbers.

Tickets will be available to the General Public from Thursday 30th June. The online booking facility will not be available to members of the General Public as Fan Card numbers and a password are required.

Booking Fees.

Tickets ordered by telephone will be subject to a booking fee of 50p per ticket.

Tickets booked online will be subject to a booking fee of £1.50p per ticket.

Adult/ Child tickets will be available in the normal section of the Kop Grandstand and the Lower Anfield Road. The ratio of children to adult tickets has been increased to 4:1 for these two fixtures.

The ticket Office is open Monday to Friday 8.15am ? 5.30pm, Saturday and Sunday 9.15am- 1.00pm

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

What movie had a robot stating resistance is futile? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robocop?

• SI Staff

At 18mil the boy is way over priced and would have completely destroyed RB's budget.

• SI Staff

There hasn't been a Chelsea player not overpriced since Abramovic took over. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True true.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Kewell to end injury nightmare

by Mark Kendall - created on 25 Jun 2005

Harry Kewell has spoken of his injury nightmare since joining Liverpool but believes he is now finally ready to produce his best form.

The Australian forward has been plagued by a series of ailments that have prevented him from demonstrating his undoubted ability since switching to Anfield in the summer of 2003.

Last season especially was decimated by injury with Kewell suffering from ankle, groin, Achilles tendon and back problems.

Indeed, the groin injury forced him out of the UEFA Champions League final against Milan after just 20 minutes and provoked widespread, if rather unjustified, criticism of the 26-year-old.

Kewell admits the condemnation has hurt but insists he has not yet had the chance to prove his true worth to Reds fans.

"It hasn't been a nice time in football for me," he told The Times.

"I've been criticised, but I know the truth.

"The boss (Benitez) knew right from the start of the season that I had an injury and every time I played, he was taking a chance with me and that I was putting my body on the line because, at any given time, it could snap.

"That's what happened in the final.

"It was the biggest game of my life and the injury wasn't on my mind, but when I stretched and felt it snap, I knew right away that I couldn't go on.

"Yes, I could have limped around as the eleventh man, but that would have harmed the team.

"Everyone in sport knows that if you can't play on, the best thing for the team is to get off the pitch."

However, following groin surgery, the former Leeds star is confident of being fully fit to start next term and will be reporting back for pre-season on time.

"I can't wait," he continued.

"I know Liverpool's fans haven't seen the best of me, but now I can start looking to the future and put everything else behind me."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last chance saloon, although Rafa seems to love ya!

Gerrard's take on the draw;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Gerrard's total TNS respect

by Mark Buckingham - created on 25 Jun 2005

LIVERPOOL CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE

Pre-order with Sky Sports, saving £3, and relive the season's review on DVD.

Steven Gerrard insists European champions Liverpool will not treat TNS with disdain.

The UEFA Champions League holders have been drawn against the Welsh minnows in the first qualifying round for next season's competition.

Liverpool will be expected to brush aside TNS en route to a second round tie against either HB Torshavn or FBK Kaunas.

But Reds captain Gerrard believes it would be disrespectful to ignore the threat that TNS could pose for his side.

Gerrard is thankful for a tie close to home but he is adamant the Liverpool squad will not be underestimating TNS - based in Welsh village Llansantffraid.

"We're obviously pleased with the draw because there's so little travelling," said Gerrard. "When you consider some of the places we could have gone, it's perfect.

"We could have been on the borders of Asia but instead it's the borders of Wales.

"What we have to do is treat them with total respect. We'll probably know a few of their lads because there are a few Scousers in their squad.

"They'll have a lot of players who dreamed of playing at Anfield and it's nice to see dreams come true. It's their World Cup final.

"All the boys will swap shirts with them but we won't take them lightly."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

skysports.com

Kewell is one of those players that managers always think they can get the best out of. He has done it in the past and I reckon Rafa thinks he can get him to do it again.

I am not convinced however. Mentally he just doesn't seem to fancy putting the effort in and once that happens you might as well be talking to a traffic cone. You can have all the ability in the world but if you have that "can't be arsed" attitude then you will fail.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Reds to rival Arsenal for Hobbs

Liverpool are preparing to hijack Arsenal's move for Lincoln City starlet jack Hobbs.

The 16-year-old defender was spotted by Arsene Wenger's scouting network and had been lined up for a move to Highbury.

However, it has emerged that The Gunners are unhappy about a sell-on clause proposed by Lincoln as part of the compensation package and are currently refusing to press ahead with the deal.

That has alerted Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez (pictured) who is now ready to try and nip in and beat his Premiership rivals to the punch.

The player's agent Chris Collymore confirmed that talks with Arsenal had reached an impasse and insisted other clubs were circling.

"If Arsenal don't agree to the compensation the move is off," Collymore stated.

"It is not as if Jack doesn't have other offers."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never heard of him, but as he is only 16 i'll let him off. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Reds to rival Arsenal for Hobbs

Liverpool are preparing to hijack Arsenal's move for Lincoln City starlet jack Hobbs.

The 16-year-old defender was spotted by Arsene Wenger's scouting network and had been lined up for a move to Highbury.

However, it has emerged that The Gunners are unhappy about a sell-on clause proposed by Lincoln as part of the compensation package and are currently refusing to press ahead with the deal.

That has alerted Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez (pictured) who is now ready to try and nip in and beat his Premiership rivals to the punch.

The player's agent Chris Collymore confirmed that talks with Arsenal had reached an impasse and insisted other clubs were circling.

"If Arsenal don't agree to the compensation the move is off," Collymore stated.

"It is not as if Jack doesn't have other offers."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never heard of him, but as he is only 16 i'll let him off. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're certainly look to fill up the academy this summer icon14.gif

Although saying that I hope this doesn't mean a distinct lack of local 15-17 year old talent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Liverpool Name From/To

In

Out

Mauricio Pellegrino Out of Contract

El Hadji Diouf Bolton Wanderers

Vladimir Smicer Bordeaux

Paul Harrison Out of Contract

Patrice Luzi Out of Contract

Jon Otsemobor Out of Contract

Ritchie Partridge Out of Contract

Mark Smyth Out of Contract

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to keep you all in the picture. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justified:

Agreed.. We need a right winger desperatly IMO icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

guess we'd have to settle for joaquin. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Bhoys in bid for Kirkland

by Mark Buckingham - created on 25 Jun 2005

Celtic are trying to scupper West Bromwich Albion's bid to sign Liverpool goalkeeper Chris Kirkland.

The England hopeful is poised to spend a season away from Anfield on loan and has West Brom and Celtic chasing his services.

The Baggies have been in pole position to sign the 24-year-old but there has been a late declaration of interest from north of the border.

Bhoys boss Gordon Strachan handed Kirkland his professional debut while at Coventry City and is keen to work with the shot-stopper again.

Kirkland still holds Strachan in high regard but is ready to snub the overtures from Parkhead in favour of a move to The Hawthorns.

The keeper's agent Colin Gordon admitted that Kirkland feels his international aspirations would be better served by staying in The Premiership.

"Celtic are pushing really, really hard and Chris still has a very high regard for Gordon Strachan," Gordon told the Express & Star.

"But Chris feels Albion and The Premiership is the place to be. He is a little concerned Scotland means 'out of sight, out of mind'.

"The opportunity for Albion is exciting for him and suits all parties.

"Albion get a top quality keeper for a season, Liverpool can see Chris prove his fitness and Chris gets the chance to show everyone what he can do."

Gordon confirmed that Kirkland, who gets married this weekend, is aiming to be a Baggies player for the start of pre-season training.

He added: "There will not be a honeymoon. Albion report back next week and Chris is aiming to be there.

"I've spoken to the relevant parties in the last 24 hours and everything is in place for the deal to go through."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit risky tbh, by the time he gets to Scotland he will have injured himself surely?

Archived