The Liverpool Thread 05/06 - Former Champions of Europe

Justified

• Replies 40.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

god, going to TNS is gonna be nowhere near as good as istanbul was icon_biggrin.gif

the only thing that can come remotely close now is when we go to OT and woodison as european champs.

im gonna have a sore arm that day as i constantly reminded them how many times..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Showster:

So what is the official word on when the qualifying matches against TNS are?

I've seen various sites which are claiming we're at home first on the 12th and also that we're at home second on the 19th! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

either way i'm glad if it IS on a tuesday (my boss is a do as i say not as i do guy when it comes to time off- him = 1 day notice us = 6 weeks notice icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

i completely forgot about that and when i heard it then i nearly p*ssed myself icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

huh?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Rafalution:

we won the champions league \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/

Might rewatch the whole game later icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jearngngngngng84:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

i completely forgot about that and when i heard it then i nearly p*ssed myself icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

huh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Liverpoola fans! Get offa the stage!

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,73296.0.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Rafalution:

we won the champions league \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/

Might rewatch the whole game later icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watched some of it the other day.

I found myself enjoying Milan's first half performance and sniggering uncontrollably at Ancelotti's "job done" facial expression icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Rafa wants fitter Reds

Rafa Benitez says that he will be putting his Liverpool players through a rigorous pre-season schedule, and a new Spanish coach will arrive at Anfield to put them through their paces.

Liverpool returned to their Melwood training ground on Monday, incredibly just 33 days after their famous UEFA Champions league win over Milan.

With Champions League qualifying starting in mid-July, Benitez aims to make sure his side hit the ground running.

The Spaniard wants his side to be fitter and stronger than last season, and aims to give them a severe workout in the build up to the start of their season, kicking off with a defence of the European crown.

"We need to train harder at the start and change the culture of pre-season here," Benitez told the Liverpool Echo.

"If we sign new players after today, they will have to start afresh.

"But I want all the players to show the right mentality from the very beginning of pre-season and this will make it easier for them throughout the rest of the year.

"I'm sure you will see a fitter, stronger Liverpool this season."

Benitez is due to add to his coaching staff in the next few days, with a new fitness coach arriving from Spain.

Enrique Sanz was the fitness coach with newly promoted Segunda Liga side Hercules, but he will now make the move to Anfield to beef-up the club's fitness regime.

"I was speaking with Benitez and he bombarded me with questions," Sanz told Marca.

"The following day they proposed the move to me.

"I would be the right hand man for Ayestaran (Paco, Benitez's assistant) in the first team, and to prepare the reserve team." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

He's an utter bellend, I don't want to see his name everytime I come into the thread icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I was browsing around in GQ for some reason, I saw one of his posts.

His from is an apology for what he did icon_frown.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Guiness Ginger:

I'll have to find my video of the final and watch it too, I've forgot all about it since my auntie brought it over from her house.

It cuts out just before Gerrard is handed the trophy IIRC icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't tape it, is that 'Road to Istanbul' DVD going to have the final in full?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Guiness Ginger:

The one called 'Champions of Europe' is a season review with highlights of the final.

'The Road to Istanbul' is set for release on 18th July according to Amazon. Whether that is the full final I don't know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah i've got 'Champions of Europe', on Amazon it just says the highlights and celebrations.

Liverpool start Gerrard talks

Liverpool are expected to open talks with Steven Gerrard today over an extension to his contract in an effort to deflect long-standing interest from Real Madrid and Chelsea.

Gerrard, who has two years left on his contract, is due to report back with the first-team squad for training at Melwood this morning, with discussions likely to begin in the afternoon. The 25-year-old has been confused by the delay in starting talks, though his instinct is to remain at the club he has supported since his youth. Yet the outcome of the initial round of talks may be pivotal.

Article continues

"Of course I want to stay here," he has said. "I don't know how long the talks will go on for, but the sooner they start the better because I want my future sorted before the start of the new season."

Gerrard is aware of Real's interest, which prompted two telephone calls from the Spanish club's director of football Arrigo Sacchi to Rafael Benítez. Chelsea's admiration has been constant though he rejected a move to Stamford Bridge last summer. Yet Liverpool have reiterated throughout the summer that they have no intention of losing their captain.

The England midfielder will seek evidence of that in his negotiations, with Liverpool likely to offer an improved package that would take his salary beyond £80,000 a week and establish him as the highest earner in the club's history.

The delay in talks was partly due to the absence of Gerrard's agent, Struan Marshall of SFX, who has been abroad on honeymoon. The player himself has been away, and the club's chief executive Rick Parry returned from a holiday in Barbados before attending the Champions League qualifying draw in Nyon.

Total Network Solutions intend to ask Everton whether they can use Goodison Park for the second leg of their Champions League qualifying game against Liverpool. The Welsh title winners had been expected to use Wrexham's Racecourse ground for the home match as their Treflan Stadium does not meet Uefa standards.

"It would probably make much more sense to play both legs in Liverpool," said the TNS owner and managing director Mike Harris. "All of the possible options have their pros and cons but, regardless of that, I don't think Wrexham would be big enough for the tie and I'm not sure how many people would make the trip to the Millennium Stadium if we lose the first leg at Anfield.

"Wherever we play would have to be sanctioned by Uefa and the Football Association of Wales, and I think Uefa rules say that you must play in the country that you are representing. But all these rules are there to be dismantled."

TNS are unlikely to field Ian Rush, Liverpool's record scorer and a former non-executive director of the club. "I don't know whether the legs could take it," the 43-year-old said.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1515416,00.html

I think I remember somebody showing a DVD that had the full final on back in the old thread, with a picture of the bus tour on the front but I didn't make note of the name. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i know a guy is selling a version he's made on Ebay from the TV. was that it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jearngngngngng84:

I think I remember somebody showing a DVD that had the full final on back in the old thread, with a picture of the bus tour on the front but I didn't make note of the name. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i know a guy is selling a version he's made on Ebay from the TV. was that it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, IIRC the picture of the video wasn't on ebay but on a fansite of ours. As I say, can't remember it all, just that somebody had a link saying 'DVD with full match' (or something like that) in the old thread.

Probably was the one on eBay then.

Alright then, anyone here met any famous Liverpool legends down the years?

Bit of a random question I know, but I remembered today a few years back when my auntie (the same one who fecked up the video) was at a hotel and saw Kenny Dalglish and Alan Hansen sitting at a table in the resturant there, so she went over and got Kenny's autograph not recognising Hansen and just walking off without asking him to sign anything icon_biggrin.gif

LIVERPOOL report back for pre-season training today - with Jose Reina poised to become Rafael Benitez's first signing of the summer.

The Spanish goal-keeper was believed to be on Merseyside last night ahead of visiting Anfield today to begin talks over an £8million move from Villarreal.

Arsenal have recently been linked with the 22-year-old, but Benitez has long been in pole position in the race for the highly-rated shot-stopper. And now Liverpool are ready to tie up a deal for a player they have been chasing since January.

With Chris Kirkland primed to move to West Bromwich Albion on a season-long loan after turning down a similar offer from Scottish giants Celtic, Benitez is keen to bolster his goal-keeping options.

No player can be officially unveiled until the transfer window reopens on July 1, but Reina would be allowed to train with his new team-mates this week in preparation for the Champions League first qualifying round match against TNS Llansantffraid in a fortnight.

Liverpool are also closing in on another target, Bolton Wanderers midfielder Stelios Giannakopoulos.

Reports in Greece yesterday suggesting that a £1m deal is close to completion with a two-year deal on offer for the Euro 2004 winner.

Bolton manager Sam Allardyce wants the player to stay, but with Stelios having just a year remaining on his contract, the Trotters may be forced to cash in now on the 30-year-old.

Benitez is also monitoring the situation of Real Sociedad midfielder Mikel Arteta with Everton yet to agree a deal to sign the player, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Goodison.

However, Benitez is unlikely to make a move for Luis Figo, despite Spanish radio last night reporting the Real Madrid midfielder is poised to state he is joining Liverpool after his agent announced that the Portuguese international will name any new club in the next few days.

Benitez has already stated that he would not be signing any players from the Bernabeu, and has previously distanced himself from the speculation linking him with a move for Figo.

Probably was the one on eBay then.

Alright then, anyone here met any famous Liverpool legends down the years?

Bit of a random question I know, but I remembered today a few years back when my auntie (the same one who fecked up the video) was at a hotel and saw Kenny Dalglish and Alan Hansen sitting at a table in the resturant there, so she went over and got Kenny's autograph not recognising Hansen and just walking off without asking him to sign anything icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ian Rush- have met him,got his video & his testimonial ticket signed by him icon14.gif

my mum also used to live near his family when she was younger icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gamesrater:

LIVERPOOL report back for pre-season training today - with Jose Reina poised to become Rafael Benitez's first signing of the summer.

The Spanish goal-keeper was believed to be on Merseyside last night ahead of visiting Anfield today to begin talks over an £8million move from Villarreal.

Arsenal have recently been linked with the 22-year-old, but Benitez has long been in pole position in the race for the highly-rated shot-stopper. And now Liverpool are ready to tie up a deal for a player they have been chasing since January.

With Chris Kirkland primed to move to West Bromwich Albion on a season-long loan after turning down a similar offer from Scottish giants Celtic, Benitez is keen to bolster his goal-keeping options.

No player can be officially unveiled until the transfer window reopens on July 1, but Reina would be allowed to train with his new team-mates this week in preparation for the Champions League first qualifying round match against TNS Llansantffraid in a fortnight.

Liverpool are also closing in on another target, Bolton Wanderers midfielder Stelios Giannakopoulos.

Reports in Greece yesterday suggesting that a £1m deal is close to completion with a two-year deal on offer for the Euro 2004 winner.

Bolton manager Sam Allardyce wants the player to stay, but with Stelios having just a year remaining on his contract, the Trotters may be forced to cash in now on the 30-year-old.

Benitez is also monitoring the situation of Real Sociedad midfielder Mikel Arteta with Everton yet to agree a deal to sign the player, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Goodison.

However, Benitez is unlikely to make a move for Luis Figo, despite Spanish radio last night reporting the Real Madrid midfielder is poised to state he is joining Liverpool after his agent announced that the Portuguese international will name any new club in the next few days.

Benitez has already stated that he would not be signing any players from the Bernabeu, and has previously distanced himself from the speculation linking him with a move for Figo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how the hell are the clubs signing and announcing these players then?

does anyone remember us teasing the everton fans in march before we played Juventus saying we will win the champions league, we were only joking at the time. It seems unreal we won it, I almost want to go back to half time on the 25th of may again, I spent the whole game nervous as hell after 3-3, what happened after the pen save was madness, some of it seemed a bit blured.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gamesrater:

Benitez has already stated that he would not be signing any players from the Bernabeu, and has previously distanced himself from the speculation linking him with a move for Figo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how the hell are the clubs signing and announcing these players then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because. That's a good enough reason.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KevinLFC:

does anyone remember us teasing the everton fans in march before we played Juventus saying we will win the champions league, we were only joking at the time. It seems unreal we won it, I almost want to go back to half time on the 25th of may again, I spent the whole game nervous as hell after 3-3, what happened after the pen save was madness, some of it seemed a bit blured. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was so nervous watching the final I was in physical pain. I had a burning, stabbing sensation in my gut, think I gave myself an ulcer tbh icon_biggrin.gif

LONDON (AFP) - Double defending champion Roger Federer made Nicolas Kiefer pay for a bizarre and ill-timed impression of Liverpool's European Cup winning goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek to reach the Wimbledon last 16 on Saturday.

The top seed struggled to subdue the German 25th seed 6-2, 6-7 (5/7), 6-1, 7-5 and now faces Spanish 23rd seed Juan Carlos Ferrero for a place in the quarter-finals.

But the crucial point of the tie came when Kiefer led 5-3 in the fourth set, was 30-15 and just two points from taking the world number one into a final set.

As Federer approached the net to put away a forehand, the 27-year-old Kiefer leapt in the air with his arms outstretched in an effort to put his opponent off his stroke in the manner of Dudek.

The Liverpool goalkeeper had hopped from side to side, with his arms outstretched, to distract AC Milan's players in the European Cup final penalty shoot-out in Istanbul last month.

It worked for the Polish footballer but it backfired on Kiefer as Federer clinched the next four games of the fourth set to take the tie.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Federer played down the incident after the tie.

"I saw him doing it. I thought he was going to throw his racket," he said. "I was wondering what was going on but it didn't bother me."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by footballhead:

congrads to liverpool although it should have been west brom and you know it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er, wtf are you on about?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

wonders never cease. could that be some cryptic reference to kirkland's loan move? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm worried, i hope he's not on about figo. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

maybe he's saying that any hopeless outsiders, ridiculously adrift from the top of their own league, could potentially fluke a European cup win? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true, but they wouldn't fluke it 5 times would they? icon_razz.gif

Archived