The Liverpool Thread 05/06 - Former Champions of Europe

Justified

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

I think so, this week will see movement on Reina and <STRIKE>Kuijt</STRIKE> IMO - not a bad start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Replies 40.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gamesrater:

The title needs the "offical" and the "FC" taken away and a "- Champions Of Europe" added. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My wish is their command tbh icon_cool.gif

RAFA: KEEPER DEAL CLOSE

Steve Hunter 23 June 2005

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has said a deal to sign a new goalkeeper is near to completion and is believed to be Jose Reina from Villarreal, according to Spanish news agency Efe.

Reina has been heavily linked with a summer move to Anfield and has been quoted as saying it would be a dream move. Arsenal have also been linked with Reina.

Liverpool have yet to confirm anything about a move for the player but Benitez is quoted as saying: "There are various keepers we have been following. Reina is one of them. We are near but it's still to be confirmed."

The Liverpool manager has until July 6 to sign players who are eligible to take part in the first qualifying round of the Champions League. The draw for the first and second qualifying rounds take place on Friday morning.

- liverpoolfc.tv

A few days old, but I don't think it's been posted. Seems as though we will be getting Reina for sure as the offal site don't make such comments unless it's in the bag.

Keeper to sign this week

26 Jun 2005 00:00

Villareal goalkeeper Jose Reina will sign for Liverpool this week in time to be registered for their Champions League qualifying games.

If the reports coming out of Europe are to be believed, then Reina is expected to officially sign for the Reds on Friday in an £8m deal and should make his Anfield bow against TNS two weeks later.

Meanwhile, two more reported Reds targets are in action tonight with Pablo Aimar and Gabriel Milito hoping to figure in tonight's Confederations Cup semi-final against Mexico. Both players have only played minor roles in the tournament so far, and have been restricted to appearances on the substitute's bench.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gamesrater:

Keeper to sign this week

26 Jun 2005 00:00

Villareal goalkeeper Jose Reina will sign for Liverpool this week in time to be registered for their Champions League qualifying games.

If the reports coming out of Europe are to be believed, then Reina is expected to officially sign for the Reds on Friday in an £8m deal and should make his Anfield bow against TNS two weeks later.

Meanwhile, two more reported Reds targets are in action tonight with Pablo Aimar and Gabriel Milito hoping to figure in tonight's Confederations Cup semi-final against Mexico. Both players have only played minor roles in the tournament so far, and have been restricted to appearances on the substitute's bench. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good, nail them to the bench. Keep em' fresh icon14.gif

Just stumbled across -

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> “Jose is one of the best coaches and he has a very good team, sure, but they will lose on Tuesday.†claims an unusually bullish Benitez;

“We say well done for the league, but sorry as you will not win this cup.†he continues, perhaps pushing his boat out a little too far.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

Hah, I love the knobhead journalists.

I saw a transcript from where that first quote came from, it was something like:

Journo: What doy ou think of JM?

Rafa: Jose is one of the best coaches and he has a very good team

Journo: OMFG he just always winz lol.

Rafa: sure, but they will lose on Tuesday.

icon_cool.gif

We have at the helm of our club a man who will be remembered in the same light as Shankley & Paisley in 20 years time. Liverpool won't be Rafa's last managerial job, but we will be his best memory.

I say we won't be his last, as he's said he wants to take the Spain job some way down the line, but I can see Rafa being here longer than just his contract atm says. He's often said he dislikes the setup in Spain where he is a coach rather than a manager.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chrissybabe:

Rafa is a better manager than Mourinho and I'm not just saying that because we won the CL, Benitez would have won the league at Chelsea as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have won the league at Chelsea really.

Benitez loves the challenge of writing new chapters too much.

I think Benitez would like the chance to manage Real Madrid at some point in his career, but as Real and other clubs in Spain change coaches more often than their socks and the sporting directors continue to control the transfer of players I can't see him opting to move back there for a good few years yet icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Filip Smet:

I'm sorry but £8M for Reina is a rip-off.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe he has a minimum release fee of £8 million and so therefore there is no way villarreal would let him go for less than that.

Thread title \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by romeo:

i meant, rafa might be signing people with view of the 3rd round qualifying (when we can register more players for the 3rd round) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once the Confederations Cup is over I'm sure we'll be stepping up our Milito chase icon_smile.gif

Liverpool are rumoured to have made a €1.7 million bid for Bolton's Stelios Giannakopoulos.

Reports in Greece are suggesting that a deal is close to completion with a two-year deal on offer for the Greek international.

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce is keen to keep his squad together but knows the lure of playing for the European champions would be hard to turn down.

Rafa Benitez has previously been linked with an interest in the 30-year-old, but he is now thought to have stepped-up his pursuit with a firm offer.

The former Olympiakos man is thought to be keen to move to Anfield to return to UEFA Champions League football.

I'm not a huge fan of Stelios, but £1.7m for a solid squad player isn't too bad I guess.

According to Sport-FM (a major sports radio station in Athens) Stelios is very close to completing a move to Liverpool. He's already agreed terms with Liverpool and Bolton are apparently prepared to let him go for a fee of €1Μ.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CKKJ:

Anyon got Paul Tomkins book yet? Mine should be here this week </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, got it thursday. Haven't had a chance to read much of at all though icon13.gif It looks top quaity though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foot in mouth:

£8m does seem like a lot but Reina is supposed to be the best keeper in La Liga. If he is of the Cech calbire (or something close) then none of us will be complaining. Rafa's big money transfers have all been very good so far icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Casillias is way ahead of him.

Leo Franco is better too, Kameni and Calatayud are probably just as good and these days even Valdes could be seen as better.

He's good Reina but he's prone of howlers. And the same could be said about Dudek when he signed for us and that hasn't changed a lot over time has it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Filip Smet:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foot in mouth:

£8m does seem like a lot but Reina is supposed to be the best keeper in La Liga. If he is of the Cech calbire (or something close) then none of us will be complaining. Rafa's big money transfers have all been very good so far icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leo Franco is better too, Kameni and Calatayud are probably just as good and these days even Valdes could be seen as better.

He's good Reina but he's prone of howlers. And the same could be said about Dudek when he signed for us and that hasn't changed a lot over time has it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dudek wasn't prone to howlers when he signed. His first season with us I don't remember one. He lost his confidence after a couple in season 2 and hasn't recaptured top form since.

• SI Staff

He's good Reina but he's prone of howlers. And the same could be said about Dudek when he signed for us and that hasn't changed a lot over time has it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reina will do a good job for us, i think if anyone one knows better how good he is and what he can do for us then RB is the man in the know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

IIRC up until his f*ck up against Forlan in the Manc game at Anfield he was solid... Unless i'm purposely forgetting a catalogue of previous f*ck ups icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did he not do one the week before that game, or not far before it against Fulham? That was the beginning of the end. Been a long end mind

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

Dudek wasn't prone to howlers when he signed. His first season with us I don't remember one. He lost his confidence after a couple in season 2 and hasn't recaptured top form since. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After a great first season I distinctly remember him having a dodgy World Cup in Japan/Korea. He gradually got worse and worse with Forlan's double the nadir.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

Dudek wasn't prone to howlers when he signed. His first season with us I don't remember one. He lost his confidence after a couple in season 2 and hasn't recaptured top form since. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having seen quite a bit of Dudek at Feyenoord I can confirm he WAS prone to howlers, trust me. He was much more confident in general though I can agree on that, it would only be the occasional howler that would not hurt is confidence as much as what happened to him at Anfield.

Overall he was very solid at Feyenoord, but most certainly not a completely safe keeper.

are you saying we shouldnt buy reina?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KevinLFC:

are you saying we shouldnt buy reina? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm simply saying I think £8M is a lot for him.

Not sure if anyone else is available and at what price that would be of course, so we can't completely judge the situation. If he is indeed the only keeper that Rafa feels confident enough to bring over available at a 'reasonable' price than we should not complain.

He's good Reina, but I've seen him do a few things this season that make me feel that 8M is just too much.

Frey is out of the picture now since his move to Viola and even if he would be available I think he'd opt for Arsenal and Wenger before us. We've been linked with Calatayud and I think he's good too (and he's available for £5M according to reports).

But again, I'm sure Rafa knows what he's doing and that he's buying a good player. I just think £8M is a lot for a goalkeeper who's not world class but a notch below.

Whats with the Jerzy bashing like - he has had decent games since Sally Gunnell scored at Anfield !!!

Every keeper makes mistakes, even the best ones. I agree we need a new keeper at the highest level, but Jerzy has given us more good memories than bad tbh icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chrissybabe:

IIRC Dudek's first mistake was the game at Boro when we were 13 games unbveaten at the start of the season. He dropped a cross right at the end and we lost the game and he hasn't recovered since </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i remember that. though his performance in the CL final may give his confidence a boost icon14.gif

though £8m for a keeper who's still young and unproven is a bit to much. why not just stick Carson in? surely we could spend £8m on other areas of them

Regarding Van Nistelrooy / Van Nistelrooij: the former is the English way of misspelling his name, the latter is the real Dutch spelling.

Liverpool fans should be aware of the English tendency to consciously misspell foreign names. Think of Sami Hyypiä, for example. The Finnish a and ä are two completely different letters with different pronunciation as well. (You pronounce a as the vowel in "hot" and ä as the vowel in "man".)

the signing of reina is wierd, hes young, and apparently very good, so why did we sign carson?

i wouldve much rather seen someone like van der sar, friedel or even kiely come in for a year or two until carson was the monster were all hoping for.

yes, all very good. but reina's got 10 years left in him, and if were paying £8m, rafas clearly hoping a good part of that will be spent at anfield.

which leaves carson where exactly? especially after rafa eas talking him up so much and claiming that he shouldnt go to chelsea as they already have a great young keeper.

confusing tbh.

£8m isn't bad for a keeper who will hopefully last us a very long time and will be a very good player. I believe £6m would have been worth Kirkland if he had not got all the injuries.

And on the Carson bit, it's obvious now with the imminent departures of Kirkland and Jerzy, that he's going to be backup for Reina this season at least. From then on, he and Reina will hopefully contest for the place well. It's nothing bad to have two potentially class 'keepers in the side, and they're will be a way to accomadate them when the time is right.

I really don't rate Casillas, the number of crosses and shots he fumbles is incredible. He's the luckiest keeper of all time because the rebounds never seem to go to the opposing strikers.

They're bound to be on TV somehow. Channel 5 probably. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I forgot about the possibility of Channel 5. I guess that means we could be treated to commentary by the complete mongtard that is John Helm. What an utter schlong that man is. He doesn't have a clue what's happening and always takes the approach of "this English side should be up and at 'em, these foreigners don't like it" icon_rolleyes.gif

I really don't rate Casillas, the number of crosses and shots he fumbles is incredible. He's the luckiest keeper of all time because the rebounds never seem to go to the opposing strikers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting, I had the same issues with him in the past (ie problems on hard crosses) and I didn't like him either.

However this season (a trend that started last season actually) he has really become a true force. This season I have seen him keep Madrid in multiple games, I think he won them more than five games almost singlehandedly (ie the opposition pressing for 85 minutes, Iker making a few of those incredible saves - what reflexes and positioning! - and then Fat Ronnie or Owen scoring in the 86th minute.

So yes, for me (and I think for almost everyone following Spanish football) he was clearly the best goalie in Spain. In fact I think he's top 4 World wide (Iker, Cech, Dida and of course Buffon)

They're bound to be on TV somehow. Channel 5 probably. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I forgot about the possibility of Channel 5. I guess that means we could be treated to commentary by the complete mongtard that is John Helm. What an utter schlong that man is. He doesn't have a clue what's happening and always takes the approach of "this English side should be up and at 'em, these foreigners don't like it" icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's got this unenviable gift, whereby any game he commentates on is rendered utter sh*te.

I really don't rate Casillas, the number of crosses and shots he fumbles is incredible. He's the luckiest keeper of all time because the rebounds never seem to go to the opposing strikers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting, I had the same issues with him in the past (ie problems on hard crosses) and I didn't like him either.

However this season (a trend that started last season actually) he has really become a true force. This season I have seen him keep Madrid in multiple games, I think he won them more than five games almost singlehandedly (ie the opposition pressing for 85 minutes, Iker making a few of those incredible saves - what reflexes and positioning! - and then Fat Ronnie or Owen scoring in the 86th minute.

So yes, for me (and I think for almost everyone following Spanish football) he was clearly the best goalie in Spain. In fact I think he's top 4 World wide (Iker, Cech, Dida and of course Buffon) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen him pull off some great saves this season but my criticism still stands. For me he's the luckiest still, as opposed to one of the best.

Archived