The Liverpool Thread 05/06 - Former Champions of Europe

Justified

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

Having just read the Wright-Phillips to Chelsea thread, have a look at this;

Wingers;

Chelsea - Robben, Duff, SWP(possible)

Arseanl - Pires, Ljungberg, Reyes

Man Utd - Ronaldo, Giggs, Fletcher

Liverpool - Riise, Kewell, Nunez.

Spot the difference. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fletcher as a winger? Don't let Taz see you saying that icon_biggrin.gif

The wee jock is class in the middle, but a winger he is not.

• Replies 40.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for fixing the thread icon14.gif

On the players offered to Seville front, I heard that it was actually Nunez who was offered. I guess they've said "no thanks" so it doesn't really matter anyway.

At the minute it looks fairly likely that we will be signing Reina and Milito and Kuijt ahead of Crouch (\o/).

Perhaps Gonzalez will join on loan. If he does I wonder whether Rafa will get a second right winger in?

If those transfers do go through it looks like we will have spent around the £20m mark. That should leave something approaching £10m more to spend, or am I being far too optimistic?

I'd hope to see another quality player brought in, maybe at left back, maybe another winger. We shall see.

Traore's signed a new contract? Hrm, interesting. I suppose it's the right move as we should keep him, but i'd certainly not be sad to see him replaced. Unless he improves a lot his days are still numbered.

Overall his game has improved, but he's still more than liable to completely f*ck up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Guiness Ginger:

I would say Shaun has a bigger shirt but that looks a bit beyond belief icon_biggrin.gif

It might be for the same reason Baros doesn't have the little accent over his name when playing for us, but does when playing for the Czechs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't say I understand the thing with ij/y either. Ruud's name is spelt with ij at the end on official documentation and stuff, but y on his shirt and pretty much everywhere else.

We need a Dutchy to explain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Realdidi:

cant see us signing another left back, we've got Warnock and Troare has signed a new 4 year deal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think most of us would like to see a stronger option in the squad ahead of Traore. I guess Rafa's thinking is that there are more pressing concerns in other areas of the squad though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

It's spelt with a Y but properly his name ends in IJ. I think... Man Utd people help us out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is, aye.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Traore's signed a new contract? Hrm, interesting. I suppose it's the right move as we should keep him, but i'd certainly not be sad to see him replaced. Unless he improves a lot his days are still numbered.

Overall his game has improved, but he's still more than liable to completely f*ck up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but if he improves each season as much as he did last season then id think hed become a good player...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KevinLFC:

is barragan a left back or a right back? he could be brilliant in a few years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right back IIRC.

Traore certainly did improve loads last season, although he was worryingly poor in the Champs League final(and no, I haven't forgotten his second half goal line clearance). I guess that's gonna have been mostly forgotten what with us winning it and all but still. Let's hope he continues to improve, he will need to if he wants to keep a regular place in the team.

icon14.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foot in mouth:

Traore certainly did improve loads last season, although he was worryingly poor in the Champs League final(and no, I haven't forgotten his second half goal line clearance). I guess that's gonna have been mostly forgotten what with us winning it and all but still. Let's hope he continues to improve, he will need to if he wants to keep a regular place in the team.

icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The boy needs to work on his ball skills and please please can he stop bloody doing his ZZ drag backs.

One thing I found interesting was something on RAWK: Steven Gerrard may possibly be the best right back in the world.

He hasn't played there much since he became a regular but he's fb there. We'd never sacrifice the CM spot to move him to the back in any normal circumstances, and as well we shouldn't really - especially as Finnan is pretty good too. Still an interesting point though.

One thing I found interesting was something on RAWK: Steven Gerrard may possibly be the best right back in the world.

He hasn't played there much since he became a regular but he's fb there. We'd never sacrifice the CM spot to move him to the back in any normal circumstances, and as well we shouldn't really - especially as Finnan is pretty good too. Still an interesting point though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The boy needs to work on his ball skills and please please can he stop bloody doing his ZZ drag backs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but they actually work most the time icon_biggrin.gif

agree about Gerrard at RB. With him, carragher, Warnock and some other tough son of a bitch in defence we'd have a pretty mean defence icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Realdidi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The boy needs to work on his ball skills and please please can he stop bloody doing his ZZ drag backs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

agree about Gerrard at RB. With him, carragher, Warnock and some other tough son of a bitch in defence we'd have a pretty mean defence icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

COME ONE SIGNING THE DIRTY GREASY ARGIE icon_cool.gif

• SI Staff

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

My heart skips a beat everytime he does that, he must stop it's not good for my poor poor heart icon_frown.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:

Originally posted by Realdidi:

quote:

The boy needs to work on his ball skills and please please can he stop bloody doing his ZZ drag backs.

but didnt he do one of those in an away tie in the UEFA cup and then score with his right peg???

could be our answer to Ronaldos step over icon_biggrin.gif

but they actually work most the time

My heart skips a beat everytime he does that, he must stop it's not good for my poor poor heart </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Realdidi:

quote:

could be our answer to Ronaldos step over

but they actually work most the time

My heart skips a beat everytime he does that, he must stop it's not good for my poor poor heart </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but didnt he do one of those in an away tie in the UEFA cup and then score with his right peg???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

Could we chang the "of" to "Of", it's in lower-case solitude up there icon_frown.gif

*sorry, that's the last request... Maybe. Perhaps "05/06 Season" would work better? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like that tbh and the thread title as a whole. icon14.gif

He hasn't played there much since he became a regular but he's fb there. We'd never sacrifice the CM spot to move him to the back in any normal circumstances, and as well we shouldn't really - especially as Finnan is pretty good too. Still an interesting point though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He played there amazingly well for about 20 mins of extra time in the final if you remember.

Heh, recently i've just been rewatching the CL final videos / pictures etc... Unbelievable icon_biggrin.gif I still get the biggest smile imaginable watching/listening to it.

The only problem is that come the bread and butter games it's a different story as some times we're a disgrace.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

FOWLER: TNS COULD BE TRICKY FOR REDS

Anfield legend Robbie Fowler says the Champions League qualifier with TNS could prove a tricky match for Liverpool simply because the Reds are expected to win by a fair distance.

Fowler was part of a Manchester City that played TNS in the 2003 UEFA Cup. City won the first leg 5-0 and the second leg 2-0, and while Fowler expects the Reds to win he says it is a no-win situation in many ways.

Fowler said: "Playing Liverpool is going to be TNS's FA Cup Final but it's going to be very difficult for Liverpool whatever the outcome. Liverpool are in a no-win situation.

"When you play non-league teams everyone expects you to win. If you win 8-0 everyone says 'I told you so.' But if it's only 2-0 it's considered a poor result.

"We didn't know much about TNS before we played them and Liverpool will be much the same, even if they get a scouting report.

"The main thing is Liverpool don't have to travel. When you see their hectic schedule for August and September, playing a team from Wales is the best possible result.

"Playing the home leg first you would want them to have four or five in the bag and then rest the big boys for the return." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree with him to a certain extent there, TNS will be up for it and we'll have to come down to there level, but if we put 3-4 past them in the first leg I wouldn't have any worries.

Also, if we get through to the groups this year, who thinks ITV will continue their 'Man. United, Arsenal, Chelsea (repeat)' coverage? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Elim:

Thread title \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by romeo:

i meant, rafa might be signing people with view of the 3rd round qualifying (when we can register more players for the 3rd round) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once the Confederations Cup is over I'm sure we'll be stepping up our Milito chase icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the final today isn't it?

I wouldn't be too worried about not signing players in time for the TNS game tbh. There's another cut off date for the second round we should easily be able to sign players by. Anyway we can't officially sign anyone until July 1st. I'm sure everything is in place in a couple of transfers at least (Reina and Milito), it's just that the club can't announce them until July 1st.

Here we go, from the rumour section of the official site:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Rafael Benitez will clinch his first signing of the summer when he brings in Spanish goalkeeper Jose Reina on Friday.

Reina will arrive from Villarreal in an 8 million deal and will meet up with his new team-mates at Melwood on Monday week.

The capture of Reina is expected to be the first of several new signings ahead of the 2005/06 season.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foot in mouth:

It's the final today isn't it?QUOTE]

The second Conf. Cup Semi-Final takes place tonight with the 3rd Place Play-off (Is there really any need for that?) and the Final this coming Wednesday.

Originally posted by foot in mouth:

I wouldn't be too worried about not signing players in time for the TNS game tbh. There's another cut off date for the second round we should easily be able to sign players by. Anyway we can't officially sign anyone until July 1st. I'm sure everything is in place in a couple of transfers at least (Reina and Milito), it's just that the club can't announce them until July 1st. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, once you get into July things usually hot up. It's only because our calendar has been shifted so much that we're now expecting our new signing a little earlier than usual.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Filip Smet:

I'm sorry but £8M for Reina is a rip-off.

Hopefully he does well but his performances to date don't warrant that kind of tranfer figure for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed.

Unless he spends the next 8 years in goal that is icon_smile.gif

Sooner or later we're going to sign a keeper who's not a f*ck up icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed there.

not seen much of Reina playing for Villarreal but i remember being quite impressed with him at Barcelona, did he play against us in the UEFA cup in 2001.

Jeez, I shudder to imagine the comments from the press as soon as Reina flaps at his first cross. I still get the distinct impression that the english press are determined to crap al over Rafa and come out to say "I told you so, Benitez is crap" icon_rolleyes.gif

I seem to remember similar stuff surrounding Wenger when he arrived in England. Now it's swung so far back the other way that he ALWAYS signs incredible players and never makes a mistake. Jeffers anyone?

In relation to the lack of transfer activity.

Is Rafa perhaps working quietly away in his own way ready to unveil 2 or 3 major players and 1 or 2 youngsters on July 1st when everyone elses windows open?

Would be nice, Houllier did that with Damiano, Le Tallec, & Flo Po.

Mind you, be an absolute miracle if he has got players already lined up and managed to kep it from the press - infact nigh impossible.

Dont like all this waiting, we've got opening games in 3 weeks time, and not only did we have a small and partially poor squad last year.. we've released or sold half a dozen of that squas already with another 3 or 4 on the way.

Maybe it'll kick off this week?

Archived