*OFFICIAL* CMS Challenge #2 -2004: The Lord of the Rings CMS Challenge by HD

Raptor

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OMDave:

Great idea to have a weblog icon14.gif

Just curious; where are the pictures from? It probably said so on your site, but I'm too lazy to go back... icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

www.warofthering.com has a download of fansite materials. icon_smile.gif

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This challenge will take forever if my managerial skills have anything to do with it.

I won't start the story for a couple of months, due to my exams, but I'll start my game now.

I'll look like Gandalf by the time I complete it though. **Shudder**

icon_frown.gif

i should note what happens if you are sacked at any stage of the challenge:

Phase 1: challenge fails, restart

Phase 2: can take another job at a club that would be eligible if you were starting the Phase now, return to start of Phase 2.

Phase 3: Return to start of Phase 2 if you can get a job at an eligible club.

Phase 4: Restart Phase 4 if you can get anotehr job at an eligible club in the same country.

Phases 5-9: If you are sacked now you fail the challenge.

icon_smile.gif

Please clarify something for me, in the aragorn stage, if you pick an english club for phase 1 do you pick a scottish club for phase 5b or a different english club?

Doctor Who- as was the case in Lisbon Lions, I am running the challenge in CM 01-02. These long challenges just aren't conducive to working with how slow things can be with CM 03-04 on my low end PC. "The Bet" is the only story I have running on 03-04.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Faramir:

Doctor Who- as was the case in Lisbon Lions, I am running the challenge in CM 01-02. These long challenges just aren't conducive to working with how slow things can be with CM 03-04 on my low end PC. "The Bet" is the only story I have running on 03-04.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I should have thought of that, before I gave my CM0102 to my brother-in-law icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by glamdring:

I could never return to CM 01/02 now that I'm playing CM 03/04 though so I'm just making do with the speed of 14 leagues (I think) on my 850 MHz comp icon_razz.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Moan. I've got a 3.2 GHz, and I think it's slow. My sincere sympathy, Glamdring.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tyrone the Mag:

I'd just like to say congrats again to HD. This challenge seems to bringing a lot of different approaches to it, which imo is a good thing. icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree. The setting of the challenge was a key part of that too.

I would also add to what Faramir has said and that playing on CM3 ( especially either 00/01 or 01/2 ) makes challenge stories easier to contend with.

I'm gonna try this on 00-01. I dunno if anyone has done this, cos I havent read anyones story yet (sorree icon_smile.gif but I'm going to add all the characters as coaches and see if I can take them with me at the relevant times. But if I dont, well I dont. Well anyway, you'll see what happens when the story starts.

I was going to do that (or at least take the characters who are heading to the world of football with me), but in the end I couldn't be bothered loading up the editor and all that and decided the chances of them leaving an SPL club (if I can get them there) to join me at a Norwegian second division club are pretty much nil so the hobbits will just be in the story as scouts rather than game.

I like the idea of it though icon_smile.gif

You can be Aberdeen, people were just drivelling in the vote thread about alterations. The challenge is as it reads on the first post of this thread. If you ahve any specific queries email me. icon_smile.gif

And calm down icon_biggrin.gif

I guess now is as good a time as any to do the first log on the thread:

HD LOTR:TCA - My own attempt. Not been regularly updated due to exams, but they're done and I intend to update on my progress in Phase 2 in due course.

Faramir Troubled Visions - Faramir's Dream - Faramir's ambitious tale has all the signs of a potential epic already. Tale is developing nicely.

Terk Peaceful Times - Aragorn Retires to the Shire - Terk hasn't given up yet, which has to be a positive sign.

glamdring White Lady of Rohan abroad - Find healing or die - glamdring has just found himself at the gates of Easter Road, not quite the Argonath, but still, there's time!

Doctor Who Football Management 101 - The Doc's interactive tale is proving very popular, he has finished one season already and is well on his way to completing Phase 1.

cms186 Tales from the Prancing Pony - Mr 186 has made an encouraging start at Leeds, and the story is inventive to boot.

Stephen Wilson Adventures in Middle Earth - a bright start to his first CMS tale, not that you'd know from the writing.

Tyrone the Mag Is it safe?, is it secret?... - Ty is going well at his beloved Newcastle, but how will he fare when he is forced to leave?

Mochard The Jewel in the Crown - An enthusiastic start, and with Chelsea the completion of Phase 1 is an inevitability.

jiddy Koldor Bogscrotch - The Forgotten Hobbit - jiddy is looking to make an impact with Fulham, though results aren't all going his way early on.

RyddeckerSMP So this is not quite what I was expecting...... - Ryd's tale looks like it is about to kick off!

bjorn The journey in Middle Earth - Björn's imagination is in overdrive here, and getting a move from Rangers to the Second Division when he completes Phase 1 should pose few problems.

Peacemaker7 Mordor, My Mordor - Sauron's Tale - We all anticipate excellence from PM7 in every story, and the early indications are that this tale will deliver that in an emphatic fashion. A delightfully twisted angle only adds to the potential for this tale.

Leicester_Mad Lord Of the Rings or ****e of the Shire? - Craig has made a promising start, and is clearly enthusiastic about his chances!

Guest Ruuh_Allah

Good challenge HD icon14.gif Looks like I've finally found motivation to go on playing CM - still because of end-of-school exams starting in two weeks time icon_frown.gif I won't have the time to start a story.

Nevertheless, I'm going to play (and fail miserably) the challenge despite knowing absolutely nothing about Tolkien and LOTR (well, except the fact there are some beings called 'hobits' in it icon_biggrin.gif).

Question:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Phase 2 – The Road to Rivendell

The decision to leave the Shire is a surprising one, and must be made during your third or fourth season (any time after the season update at the end of season 2) at the club from Phase 1. The road to Rivendell is fraught with danger, and is not a journey you ever planned to take. In game terms this involves dropping down at least two divisions to a poor team (flexible on this, basically not a “big†side that’s been relegated since the game started, a rich side, or a team looking in a good position to be promoted.)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm looking at a potential opening at St. Mirren, who have just been relegated from Div. 1 to Div. 2. They are bankrupt (in receivership) and placed in the middle of Div. 2 after about a 3rd of the season.

Would they qualify as a phase 2 team when bankrupt, even if they've just been relegated?

to be fair, I'm not too concerned about this, if you feel they present an adequate challenge then feel free to take them! I took Ayr, though as you may have noticed from a previous story of mine, they have been somewat debilitated in my db!

There isn't a pyrmaid system in Scotland is there? Just a bunch of non-league leagues below SFL level so they'd have to sort out some hierarchy of those first I'd imagine before there could be promotion/relegation in Div 3?

Archived