Defensively sound, blunt in attack, 4-4-1-1

In my current journey man save i have ended up with Colchester United. Having taken over with 10 games left in the season, it gave my time to assess the team as we were comfortably safe from relegation and had not much chance of the playoffs. I settled on a 4-4-1-1 and during the summer window signed the players needed to work in my tactic. I know its early days, but after 6 league games we have W3 D2 L1 scoring only 5 goals(4 from set pieces) but conceding only 2. We create very little from open play and basically i'm hoping someone can give me advice or highlight some deficiencies in my tactic. Thanks in advance.

Capture.PNG

Defensively sound, blunt in attack, 4-4-1-1

1 hour ago, JoeLapira said:

after 6 league games we have W3 D2 L1 scoring only 5 goals(4 from set pieces) but conceding only 2

Honestly, I am very surprised you've been defensively sound with this setup. If so, i would advise against making any changes to the tactic despite the small number of goals scored, especially as your results look pretty good so far: 

1 hour ago, JoeLapira said:

after 6 league games we have W3 D2 L1

I think this is not suited for counter-pressing. This is more suited for counter (TI) to my mind.

Lower tempo and slow pace down are compatible TIs but they lower efficiency of your wingers attacking play. It must be monitored on ME if they get enough passes when they run into space.

WBs behind an IWa is risky because each of them cross the ball and they have more attacking tendency. However there is not enough defensive cover for them. A FBs is a better choice for RB to solve those issues on that flank.

Your TIs are more possession oriented, whilst your role set up is (mostly) to my mind geared around fast transitional play. You may need to decide which one you'd prefer.

You're toothless centrally. I totally get the logic of pairing a SS & F9 but the F9 doesn't really occupy the defenders in a way that the SS can readily exploit like this. The F9 dropping deep also only leaves you with the SS maybe pushing into the box to get on the end of crosses in open play. Something like a DLF(S) would probably work better here, but there are other options as well.

One thing there is, your team isn't all that familiar with your tactic yet. I've found that really does make a difference, my team will play like donkeys until that's 90% full & I've got the green lines between players. Could be a placebo effect but I don't change a tactic until they're established 

@Experienced Defender Ive been playing fm since the early cm days and somehow always end up with defensively sound tactics even when I'm not trying lol. I'm very happy with the results just not so much the attacking performance, like if I go 1-0 down we're gonna struggle to equalise currently, which happened in our defeat in the league and Cup game.

@NotSoSpecialOne  I see your point re the difference in TIs and roles, never really spotted that so I'll look to settle on a style. And as for the F9+SS combo, it has worked well for me before and maybe its not working now because of my confusion in style.

@Johnny Ace good point actually, hopefully as they get more familiar with it, they will improve. 

I will add i originally had the RCM as a BWMd but felt it was too defensive and there was no real support centrally as we attacked, hence the change. 

Thanks for the feedback lads, definitely something to work with there 👍 

@zabyl I went with counter pressing so we could win the ball back early which I think has helped with my strong defensive performances.

Good point on the right flank though, the reason I have WBs is to make use of the space that the IW leave they cut inside. I'll try FB a and see what difference that makes

12 minutes ago, JoeLapira said:

I'll try FB a and see what difference that makes

Keep in mind that FBa behind an IWa (WM) is not necessary and risky too. They will have less space between them with both on attack duty. It can be used like that but i don't suggest.

3 minutes ago, zabyl said:

Keep in mind that FBa behind an IWa (WM) is not necessary and risky too. They will have less space between them with both on attack duty. It can be used like that but i don't suggest.

Sorry I meant ill try a FB s, hit the wrong letter 

Just an update on this, through injuries and resorting to a tried and tested tactic I have settled on this new tactic. We still are defensively solid and although we are not banging in goals we are definitely creating more chances than before. I decided to limit to TIs as a foundation and make in match changes as required. If anyone has any thoughts or feedback on this feel free to voice them. We had a media prediction of 16th at the start of the season but as you can see from the screenshot we are going pretty well. PS still in the FA Cup and Leasing.com cup aswell.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

congratulations @JoeLapira.I have some advices for this tactic.I think that MEZ(A) is better.You should play him near W(s).I think that left back's role should be IWB(S). RCM may be CM(s). WTM helps overlapping for attacking-minded fullback.As a result  @Experienced Defender @Johnny Ace @NotSoSpecialOne @zabyl knows it better,I think.

@tamertunatt I have some slight changes since the screenshot which has improved us again. The AML is now IWs this allows more space for my LB to operate. The WTM is not on support duty and the Mez is now on attack. Also I now have just standard passing but a quicker tempo and we are playing some excellent football while still solid at the back.

On 06/11/2020 at 19:46, JoeLapira said:

@tamertunatt I have some slight changes since the screenshot which has improved us again. The AML is now IWs this allows more space for my LB to operate. The WTM is not on support duty and the Mez is now on attack. Also I now have just standard passing but a quicker tempo and we are playing some excellent football while still solid at the back.

congratulations again, @JoeLapira.I am happy that you are getting better results.I am bad at this game.I decided to comment about tactics,discuss football with someone because.I want to learn something.

16 hours ago, tamertunatt said:

congratulations again, @JoeLapira.I am happy that you are getting better results.I am bad at this game.I decided to comment about tactics,discuss football with someone because.I want to learn something.

If you have any questions, or require help start a thread maybe. Just like this one there is plenty of people willing to give advice and help out.