Impossible match challenge (Stoke v Chelsea)

I have an interesting match (FM20) that I saved scum many times with many tactics, but without convincing performance (mostly lost). It's Stoke (me) vs Chelsea, heavy underdog, not expected to even draw, but this match bothers me a lot:

- My players are like old man sleeping and blind.

- Chelsea's players are like god (extremely fast in dribbling & closing, win header...). They're indeed, but the level of difference in this match is quite weird to me.

This is observation & compared to previous matches.

I'm curious if any pro tactician here can help to make a convincing performance (I'm not expecting my team to win).

Chelsea is 4231 Wide. Kai + Leon Baily + Jadon Sancho + Lautaro.

Here is the uploaded save: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13xqbXevASvwsj_IXhyDXfqw0qO-zHMVM/view?usp=sharing

Thank you!!

Here is their formation (Vertical Tiki Taka)

image.png.90d5e3b8360a42cefcb90ed927d6c35c.png

Edited by akivamu

Their left flank seems to be exploitable with no one really defending this side (IW, wingback and mezzala).

Id say use an attack duty offensive minded player on your right side, tell the GK to distribute long to a good physical striker or midfielder so you can bypass their press. 

Also IIRC rashidi made a video a long time ago about defeating a 4231 and he said the key was to heavily pressure the 2 CMs as to split the formation in half since they're linking attack and defense.

Just some thoughts about this, I cant access the game right now so im not able to help you more unfortunately.

Thank you for your reply.

I observed that too, the left flank, but no success. Also tried some OI you suggested.

The thing is my players:

- Very lazy to run, they're just walking.

- Slow response to events

- Dwell on ball and lost while there're so many options to pass (I tried dribble less)

- Lost a lot of headings (CB vs Sancho & Bailey)

I tried to Add New Manager to overtake Chelsea, replay same their tactics (not completely equal since there're duties, TI, PI...)

But this time Chelsea plays very normal. Still winning, but the players behavior is poor (mostly not aggressive like before)

I found my players dwell much less on the ball if I reduce the risk. You can do that with more conservative roles and/or lower team mentality. Don't forget the pre-match can have a huge impact on the behavior of your players.

Looking at their tactic it's obvious their wingers will cut inside so beware of your defending in the middle and if you're not giving too much space in front of CB's and between them and FB's. And It also seems that Neves will be controlling the game from deep so you could try a BWM-s or someone marking him out of the game.

Edited by afailed10

Without taking a look at your save - I'm not able to at the moment - and so strictly based off your posts, I suspect the issue may not necessarily lay in the tactical arena but rather one of attitude. The behaviour you describe seems bang on for a side that's taken to the pitch fully expecting to lose this match and are playing it out accordingly.

The right team talk and/or shouts could inspire a different result.

5 hours ago, akivamu said:

I have an interesting match (FM20) that I saved scum many times with many tactics, but without convincing performance (mostly lost). It's Stoke (me) vs Chelsea, heavy underdog, not expected to even draw, but this match bothers me a lot:

- My players are like old man sleeping and blind.

- Chelsea's players are like god (extremely fast in dribbling & closing, win header...). They're indeed, but the level of difference in this match is quite weird to me.

This is observation & compared to previous matches.

I'm curious if any pro tactician here can help to make a convincing performance (I'm not expecting my team to win).

Chelsea is 4231 Wide. Kai + Leon Baily + Jadon Sancho + Lautaro.

Here is the uploaded save: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13xqbXevASvwsj_IXhyDXfqw0qO-zHMVM/view?usp=sharing

Thank you!!

Here is their formation (Vertical Tiki Taka)

image.png.90d5e3b8360a42cefcb90ed927d6c35c.png

How good is your team? As far as I am concerned the Chelsea team is stacked. You will need the stars perfectly aligned for you to have any chance against this team. Not very match is winnable with the right tactics. Sometimes the gulf in quality is too huge.

My team is decent (see attachment).

I'm not expecting to win (or even draw), but I expect performance i.e. aggressive, enthusiastic, no stupid mistake... Not walking in the field like old men, touching opponents like baby girls.

I rarely saved scrum but this match make me very curious. Now I stop progress and only study it until I satisfy with the performance :D

This is 80% about tactic, right? The morale is good -> excellent, I don't do briefing, the pre-match conference is neutral.

image.png

Actually I tried many tactics with no success so maybe you dont need to see my tactic :D

Anw, today I tried to reduce pressing & set all duty to support, make my team very fluid.

Look like they performing OK. Still lost but that's good performance: less mistakes (I think whole team support then players have more options to pass), pressing quick (I think support duty so they know all have to run on every position)

TIL this forum has a lot of value resources, definitely will spend time to.

Thank you all for your responses!