Do They Just Not Want To Sell a Rival Club?

4 minutes ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Why not just say they refuse to deal with my club?

As you can see, they'd sell to a rival, but for more than the asking price. That's the rival 'tax', if you will.  :brock:

I like this aspect of the game. As Midtjylland, I developed an unhealthy rivalry with Copenhagen (mainly in my head), whereby I would refuse any transfer/loan offers they made. There came the day I wanted one of their newgens. Valued at £1.3 million, they wanted £233 million. Well played AI, well played. 

It happens. CSKA Moscow (I'm Spartak) didn't wanted to sell me their player for 30M (didn't wanted to offer more) although they accepted 22,5 bids from various clubs outside of Russia. I checked player, thought maybe he have some "foreign clauses" - noupe. So must be don't want to sell to rival/clubs in same division thing.

Barcelona were willing to let Suarez leave to a non-rival club for nothing. Demanded (and got) money from Atletico when the player tried to force the transfer through.

I think the high fees sometimes asked in FM when a club really doesn't want to sell are often silly, but double the market value to a rival here sounds quite plausible. It's how they'd justify it to fans.