Low Possession But High Number of Shots

Hi there, I’m very happy with my results so far, but a slight nag is that all my games my possession is only around 40-45%, but I’m having at least double the amount of shots to the opposition. Still winning almost all my games. 

I play an attacking 4-2-3-1 with wing backs, ball playing defender. My midfield is a BBM and a DLP. Any tips to increase possession but maintain the number of shots?

Thanks

Slowing down tempo and reducing the mentality will result in a higher possession and from what I've experienced not a significant drop in shots (low tempo, balanced mentality).

It's also a match engine quirk where the opposition just keeps the possession and does nothing with the ball, and there's not much you can do about that.

2 hours ago, goranm said:

It's also a match engine quirk where the opposition just keeps the possession and does nothing with the ball

It's so frustrating! Even when I'm using a top heavy formation and extremely urgent pressing, they keep trying to hold the ball in their own half. The good news is they will lose the ball a few times against such a press and present open scoring chances.

The AI does like to retain possession in it's own half in FM20, and that inflates their possession numbers. It is not something to get too obsessed over I think. As long as you are winning and scoring goals I would not change.

If you really want to boost the possession so it looks good, you can always just play keep ball in defence once you have the lead. 

It's best to ask this question in the tactics forum with a screenshot of your tactics. 

With the little info you give it sounds to me like your set up of roles and duties isn't really suited for a possession style. For example a BPD if you look at his description he will play long direct balls with the chance of giving it away. 

14 hours ago, danigood said:

I’m very happy with my results so far, but a slight nag is that all my games my possession is only around 40-45%, but I’m having at least double the amount of shots to the opposition. Still winning almost all my games. 

If you're not having issues overall, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You may fix what isn't broken and getting more possession but poorer results. :D

It's possible to get more possession against your opposition, even defensive teams, despite the above comments. It's worth posting in the tactics forum, with as much detail about your system and the issue you're facing. Just be aware that it can affect things and results may be one!