Mac Editor for FM09?

Diego_Werderdona

The Database editor can only edit data for a new game, there is no way to get it to work with save games, otherwise it's pretty straight forward

I have deleted all saved games and the computer has no games saved anymore. Every time I try to start a new game and look for the file, I find it but it will not load. I have placed the file in two different spots. Originally it would save itself in the documents section while the game was in the applications section. Clearly the game was not reading it from there. Then I moved the file to the applications section but the result is the same. I go to load the file, I find it but once I get to the file, the option to load it goes inactive. It's absolutely driving me crazy. I am at a loss how a company can create an editor for it's bloody game yet not have an easier method for loading it into a game. It's comical and totally ridiculous. You literally have to be a programmer or PC geek to figure this **** out. Very frustrating and not one bit of help from SI. :(

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have deleted all saved games and the computer has no games saved anymore. Every time I try to start a new game and look for the file, I find it but it will not load. I have placed the file in two different spots. Originally it would save itself in the documents section while the game was in the applications section. Clearly the game was not reading it from there. Then I moved the file to the applications section but the result is the same. I go to load the file, I find it but once I get to the file, the option to load it goes inactive. It's absolutely driving me crazy. I am at a loss how a company can create an editor for it's bloody game yet not have an easier method for loading it into a game. It's comical and totally ridiculous. You literally have to be a programmer or PC geek to figure this **** out. Very frustrating and not one bit of help from SI. :(

Basics: The FM Editor (data editor.app) will allow you to edit the original database that you would then create a new game from. IMPORTANT: It does NOT allow you edit saved games. Use Spotlight to find the editor if you can't find it.

1. You run the data editor, load the original database (click File > Load Database) and make your changes. When you come to save it you will save it as a different database entirely and will keep it in the default location, which is where you want it.

2. You run FM09 and chose to start a new game. When you do this it will ask you to choose which Database to use to create your new game from. You select the one you have just created from the drop down list and continue your new game options as normal.

Good luck :thup::)

Basics: The FM Editor (data editor.app) will allow you to edit the original database that you would then create a new game from. IMPORTANT: It does NOT allow you edit saved games. Use Spotlight to find the editor if you can't find it.

1. You run the data editor, load the original database (click File > Load Database) and make your changes. When you come to save it you will save it as a different database entirely and will keep it in the default location, which is where you want it.

2. You run FM09 and chose to start a new game. When you do this it will ask you to choose which Database to use to create your new game from. You select the one you have just created from the drop down list and continue your new game options as normal.

Good luck :thup::)

I could swear that I have done everything you suggested except that I when it comes to saving the changed database I am confused by what you mean saving it into the default location? The box that pops up asks me to rename the file but it does not give me an option as to where to save it. Originally it was saving it in my Documents section which of course made no sense. The game was in my Applications section. So I went into preferences and asked it to save into the the Applications section but once again when I load a new game and it asks for the database, I find it but when I click on to it the activation button goes blank and won't let me load it. I am so frustrated you cannot imagine.

Also, what is "Spotlight"?

I could swear that I have done everything you suggested except that I when it comes to saving the changed database I am confused by what you mean saving it into the default location? The box that pops up asks me to rename the file but it does not give me an option as to where to save it. Originally it was saving it in my Documents section which of course made no sense. The game was in my Applications section. So I went into preferences and asked it to save into the the Applications section but once again when I load a new game and it asks for the database, I find it but when I click on to it the activation button goes blank and won't let me load it. I am so frustrated you cannot imagine.

Also, what is "Spotlight"?

You should save the database in Documents>Sports Interactive>Football Manager 2009>db

I think that is why it hasn't worked for you.

Can someone please email me the latest installment of this fantastic program? For some reason I cannot join 'fm-britain' as it won't accept my email addresses (all 3 variations!). I have an earlier incarnation of it from 'fm-scout', but would love to take advantage of the new features.

Thank you

Can someone please email me the latest installment of this fantastic program? For some reason I cannot join 'fm-britain' as it won't accept my email addresses (all 3 variations!). I have an earlier incarnation of it from 'fm-scout', but would love to take advantage of the new features.

Thank you

Same here, would be brilliant to try the newer version,, maybe put it up on FMScout?

I have been chatting with LittleBlue over the last couple of days, and there has been no update lately because she is extremely busy at the moment.

She has accepted my offer of help with this, and we are just in process of getting the source code over to me so I can crack on.

Priority will be the problems some people are experiencing loading their savegame, and some memory issues. Once they are sorted then the scout and editor will be developed.

Hopefully things should pick up speed within the next few days.

Cheers,

-Mic

Not good news I'm afraid.

After talking with LittleBlue on Skype last week we identified some issues and some areas that could be improved to help with loading times and memory issues. Whilst she cracked on with those, she asked if I would work on loading the lang_db.dat file as it was now encrypted and she didn't have time to suss out the new format.

So, after a week of working on this, I last night completed the code to successfully decrypt and load the file.

The bad news is I haven't been able to get in touch with LittleBlue since the middle of last week. She's not logged in Skype since Friday, and hasn't been on the forum (either here or FM-Britain) for about the same amount of time. So I don't know if she's decided to abandon the project ?

We only exchanged a minimal amount of source code as she was a little reluctant to give me it all in one go in case I ran off with the code and claimed it to be my own, so I was hoping that what I have done over the past week would relieve a little of the concern. But the code I was made privvy to isn't enough to continue the project myself.

I've PM'd someone as SI who has already been really helpful to see if they can tell me the order in which the game entities appear in the savegame file, as if I get this information then I'd be willing to have a look at decoding the savegame format myself, but without I don't think I'll get very far ?

So not really sure how things are going to develop on this one I'm afraid.

-Mic

not to worry Its not abandoned - I moved house and was internet less and still am (at the library now) until tomorrow hopefully :)

Great news :), this is shaping up to being an outstanding scout/editor.

If it were possible in the next release could you make it so that you can search for people in the editor with first names as well as surnames. I have been having a bit of trouble trying to search through hundreds of people called Perez and it would be easier if i could narrow it down slightly.

Excellent work though, hopefully the next release won't be too far away.

• 2 weeks later...
Whilst you are waiting for Little Blue to release a native version, you can run the latest version of Genie Scout using Darwine 1.1.15.

That's an excellent tip. I hadn't realised it was so easy. As a scout, it's been built upon year-on-year, so in terms of functionality, it probably works as well (or better) than any other FM scout ever will.

Great tip, do you know of any editors that work with Darwine?

AFAIK, there isn't a save game editor for FM2009. All of the (PC) editors are real-time (nobody's seems interested in developing one that works from a save game) and for that reason none of them will work with Darwine or Crossover...

It's quite annoying because if there was a PC save game editor, we could definitely run it on Fusion/Parallels if it didn't work with Darwine/Crossover.

Anyone get any of the scouts to work with Darwine or Crossover. Genie Scout was working great until the last update for 9.3.0. Now I'm getting an odd error when I try to start the program. Even tried the latest version of Crossover but not luck. I posted a question about this on the Genie site, but haven't heard anything. Wondered if anyone else had any luck.

Anyone get any of the scouts to work with Darwine or Crossover. Genie Scout was working great until the last update for 9.3.0. Now I'm getting an odd error when I try to start the program. Even tried the latest version of Crossover but not luck. I posted a question about this on the Genie site, but haven't heard anything. Wondered if anyone else had any luck.

Exactly the same with me, Macbook Pro 2.0gHz, 2gb RAM, runs the game easy.

How do you get genie scout or any editors that run nativly on a pac to run through darwine. I cant seem tog et it to work i try installing framework 3.2 and it gives me an error.

Download Darwine 1.1.5 from here:

http://www.kronenberg.org/download.php?download=http://darwine.good-day.net/Darwine-x86-1.1.9.dmg&filename=Darwine-x86-1.1.9.dmg&project=Darwine&sponsorName=Good-Day%20Inc.&sponsorURL=www.good-day.co.jp

Install it following the instructions.

When you have downloaded and installed Darwine 1.1.5 you can download Genie Scout from here:

http://www.fmgames.net/editorsutilities/fm-genie-scout-930/

Unzip the file and go into the folder. Right click (command click on a mac) 'FMGenieScoutXE' and select 'open with'. Choose WineHelper and a few windows should appear, wait for a second and then genie scout should pop up.

Darwine is working great. I had a little trouble getting the right version. My own fault for not reading. But it does work. Thanks whitecube and R-dizzle. This will keep my addiction fueled long enough for Littleblue's editor to get finished.

Unfortunately, i was unsuccessful, the Fm genie scout bar loaded up then as it said done it crashed and gave me this error in the log window. fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance Untranslated charset 255

X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

Major opcode of failed request: 152 (RENDER)

Minor opcode of failed request: 4 (RenderCreatePicture)

Serial number of failed request: 242130

Current serial number in output stream: 242339

Anyone know what this means, i am sure i followed your steps correctly, thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Can i plead for littleblue and fulham_mic to please make what ever code they have available through Open source channels? Its completely understandable for both of you to not have the time to contribute to the project, so please let others take up the mantel from where you were able to get to?!

The saved game editor for mac has been attempting to get off the ground in various forms over the last few years and I can't help but wonder if we would have one already if the code had been made open source from the start?

• 3 weeks later...
k i have fm09sx 0.2.3, which opens fine, but when i try to load a game it comes up with "Unrecognised Database Version - 1245" can anyone help?? I'v tried it with default db and 9.2.

sorry act. says "Unrecognised Database Version - 1242" .......... anyone????

Archived