Women's football leagues

Jorgen

I'm sure that FM20 wiould be an excellent choice to finally add the women's leagues to Football Manager. With the more and more popular women's soccer clubs and the world cup teams stronger than ever, it would be the perfect time to add this part of our beloved football world, to this great game. If there was every any new marktet for SI to benefit from, other than new men's leagues, it is the world of women's football. We have competitive leauges, football stars, national teams which huge amounts of fans, etc. Everything that is necessary for fans of the sport is already there, and when it isn't, it is growing fast to become better and better each and every year. I've not yet bought FM19 yet, because I have a very enjoyable careergame that I am still playing, but if FM20 or FM21 would make it possible to manage women's football teams, it would be a sure buy for me. Think this would make this a popular computer game for girls too. So please SI, consider adding the female world of soccer/football to this already great game.

@Hovis Dexter I saw that topic (just the start post at that moment) and decided that I wanted to write a decent request instead of posting there.

I didn't see the answer by @santy001 until just now. So thank you for linking it. The answer is very interesting. I do understand that SI needs the world of women's football to be at a fairly decent level to include; but is it really that bad? I don't think so. Probably most female players from The Netherlands, USA, Sweden, England or Japan national teams would beat all of us with their eyes closed and 2 hands tied behind their backs. Won't they? Rapinoe, Morgan, Martens, Groenen, Miedema, Asllani and co. are pretty good and most probably better than teams from Italian Serie C or the Gibraltar league. Those leagues are in the game.

With the amount of exposure the FWWC had the past few weeks and the interest in in The Netherlands, USA and alike for women's football I really think it is time to add this missing piece of football to the world's greatest football managing game. Also, I think it would attract more girls and women to buy this game.

Just my 2 cents ofcourse. I hope SI will look into this.

If not yet, then I hope it would be possible to recreate a game like this in the editor, with setting up teams and nations that have only female players.

4 hours ago, Jorgen said:

I do understand that SI needs the world of women's football to be at a fairly decent level to include; but is it really that bad? I don't think so. Probably most female players from The Netherlands, USA, Sweden, England or Japan national teams would beat all of us with their eyes closed and 2 hands tied behind their backs.

I think you're misunderstanding what's meant by level. it's hard to know in terms of quality as there isn't going to be regular competitive games, the only games that have taken place have effectively been friendlies between womens teams and usually lads in the 15-17 years old groups. But that's an irrelevance.

By level it means interest in the game, the international football does well, but international football is a slither of what FM offers and so there needs to be a domestic league pulling in Championship figures for it to really be viable based on what SI have said. As I've mentioned elsewhere, for it to be anything more than lip service it would need to be very effective. Given its well known that Steam is a 70/30 split platform, then whatever the arrangement is with Sega. It would be difficult to know how much it would cost, but even if you just need to add say 10 staff at the average UK wage that's still £300k a year in salaries, once you add pension contributions and employer NI contributions you're talking half a million per year right off the bat. 

You'd be looking at needing an extra 50,000 sales just to break even on that cost.

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 00:39, Jorgen said:

I'm sure that FM20 wiould be an excellent choice to finally add the women's leagues to Football Manager. With the more and more popular women's soccer clubs and the world cup teams stronger than ever, it would be the perfect time to add this part of our beloved football world, to this great game. If there was every any new marktet for SI to benefit from, other than new men's leagues, it is the world of women's football. We have competitive leauges, football stars, national teams which huge amounts of fans, etc. Everything that is necessary for fans of the sport is already there, and when it isn't, it is growing fast to become better and better each and every year. I've not yet bought FM19 yet, because I have a very enjoyable careergame that I am still playing, but if FM20 or FM21 would make it possible to manage women's football teams, it would be a sure buy for me. Think this would make this a popular computer game for girls too. So please SI, consider adding the female world of soccer/football to this already great game.

Average attendance of the WSL1 in England is less than 1,000.  I don't think it is much better elsewhere in the world.

It really isn't commerically viable at the moment.  I'd also imagine there are research problems plus FM is currently entirely structured player attribute wise for male players.  I don't think its as straightforward as you imply.

@santy001 and @Crispypaul Yes I understand that. Where there are leagues like the NWSL, Nadeshiko League, FA Women's Super League, Frauen-Bundesliga, Eredivisie Vrouwen and Damallsvenskan for example, and dozens more and even a Copa Libertadores and Champions League, not all of them are interesting enough for SI in terms of marketing and profit. I really hoped that it could be done by just doing some scouting and editing the existing leagues in FM. Perhaps that was my mistake and it is much harder than I anticipated ;)

Then, hopefully, it would be a possibility in the editor to recreate this ourselfs. I've been a primary school teacher for ten years and I've seen girls play football at a higher level than boys whom where scouted by Eredivisie teams. Do we really need another attribute structure?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived