Player promises need some leeway

So I have a young central defender and I promised him I'd play him in his preferred position as well as give him game time.

This is the player:

5Ezj1pm.jpg

As you can see his best position is Defensive Center Back

This is my tactic for him, and where he has been playing most of his game time:

u4aBjfW.jpg

Maybe he wants to play defensive rather than counter, but is it really enough of a difference for his current displeasure and immediate decision he wants to leave the club?

1DnJqom.jpg

He's played 6 first team games for me, and that has apparently satisfied his desire for playing time. However, it doesn't satisfy his need to play in a favoured position?

I just think this is bizarre.

30 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

What does it say on the Promises screen? Maybe you're playing him in the right position, but not the correct role?

8DJmTZV.jpg

Which is pretty much as he's playing. I just have him as cover. I like to have a defender on cover and he fit out of the two CD I was playing.

Should be enough to say that he's playing CD though, surely?

2 minutes ago, FrazT said:

It's not the solution, but I suggest that you never promise anything to any player in negotiations because the promises module is still needing some work done on it.

I think you're right. Was just rather keen to sign him at the time and had to promise something. 

He came around a little in our chat. Was desperate to leave until I told him to be professional, so at least there is that. Took him off cover for next match, so hopefully he'll grow up. Hehe.

15 minutes ago, anagain said:

8DJmTZV.jpg

Which is pretty much as he's playing. I just have him as cover. I like to have a defender on cover and he fit out of the two CD I was playing.

Should be enough to say that he's playing CD though, surely?

Yeah, then you're not doing anything wrong. Has to be a bug. My money is on the Cover Duty being the reason for the player not recognising that you are doing what you promised. Regardless though, it's not right.

Frankly, the specificity of the "preferred position" is bizarre anyway, especially for defenders.

Easy enough to imagine a player preferring to be in their natural position rather than an accomplished position, or perhaps even preferring to play further forward

Possible to imagine a minority of players being very determined to get a designated playmaker-type role where they get fed the ball more, possibly even being given the freedom to roam, though I'm not sure the game picks such preferred roles very sensibly. And difficult to imagine that a player wouldn't be open to persuasion that being a complete forward isn't worse than being an advanced forward, even if it's easy to imagine them being determined not to be a target man.

But pretty much impossible to imagine a player throwing a wobbly because of an entirely imaginary distinction between types of defender.

Classic example of a part of a module that SI would have been better off either not implementing or trying something very simple rather than trying to be clever and coming up with something implausible in principle and frustrating and buggy in practice.

Archived