Fitness issues and playing time

I have a player who wants first team football, and this means starting nearly every game. Trouble is- he can't keep fitness in order for that to be viable, and is injury prone- been out a few times. So I start him only if he has 95 condition or more. He is a fantastic technical player and has a place on the roster, but when he comes in complaining, I can't tell him that he's playing exactly as much as his body can take(about 13 starts and 5 sub appearances by January). Suggestions how to keep him in the team?

6 minutes ago, Neotropolis said:

Maybe try and reduce his squad status so it reflects the amount of game time he's going to get?

He is set from the beginning to Rotation, but is Ambitious in personality.  He had come to me once before, and I played him frequently for a period of time to make him happy, but near the end of this stint of frequent games, he got injured. Nothing extreme, but now, he again complains. His technical and intelligence attributes are almost world class, but he can't start 2 games that are 4 days apart. In Scotland, that happens. I'm in CL, and have the league and 1 cup to run in.

If his squad status is set as rotation, he needs to start in around 50% of games.  You can start players with condition down at 90% and even less so start him in league games as long as he is performing.  Getting game time will also help in getting his fitness and match conditioning up

1 minute ago, Bunkerossian said:

He is set from the beginning to Rotation, but is Ambitious in personality.  He had come to me once before, and I play him frequwntly to make him happy, but near the end of this stint of frequent games, he got injured. Nothing extreme, but now, he again complains. His technical and intelligence attributes are almost world class, but he can't start 2 games that are 4 days apart.

Is he an influential player? If not, then you could tell him that he's getting enough game time, or maybe try telling him that player X is in too good a form (if you get that option). 

Also, if you've been at the club for a while and are respected by the bulk of players, you may be able to get away with telling him that even if he is influential. Though be warned, you could have a dressing room revolt on your hands if it doesn't go swimmingly. 

Another option could be to reduce his training workload as this could help prevent injuries.

If he was my player and he was only rotation and asking for more game time but often getting injured, then I would probably move him on.

20 minutes ago, Neotropolis said:

Is he an influential player? If not, then you could tell him that he's getting enough game time, or maybe try telling him that player X is in too good a form (if you get that option). 

Also, if you've been at the club for a while and are respected by the bulk of players, you may be able to get away with telling him that even if he is influential. Though be warned, you could have a dressing room revolt on your hands if it doesn't go swimmingly. 

Another option could be to reduce his training workload as this could help prevent injuries.

If he was my player and he was only rotation and asking for more game time but often getting injured, then I would probably move him on.

He is influential. I am respected by the bulk of the players, as the results have been excellent, especially considering I've overachieved in Europe.

I suppose you could give that a shot then, but ultimately that is for you to decide.

Before you commit to anything though, I would way up the pros and cons he has for your team and maybe see if you can find a good replacement in case you decide to offload him.

If you were to sell him, is there anyone that you could realistically bring in to replace him, be it at the club or elsewhere? If the answer to that question is yes, then I'd sell him. 

If not, then I'd look to give him more game and if he complains again, tell him he's getting enough game time.

1 minute ago, Neotropolis said:

If you were to sell him, is there anyone that you could realistically bring in to replace him, be it at the club or elsewhere? If the answer to that question is yes, then I'd sell him. 

If not, then I'd look to give him more game and if he complains again, tell him he's getting enough game time.

No one that good in the technical and mental departments.

1. Talk to this player and promise to give him enough playing time.

2. Try your best to fulfil the playing-time promise (put him in first 11 as often as possible and do not substitute him in match).

3. If being given enough time, the player will become happy again.

3 hours ago, callme_hd said:

1. Talk to this player and promise to give him enough playing time.

2. Try your best to fulfil the playing-time promise (put him in first 11 as often as possible and do not substitute him in match).

3. If being given enough time, the player will become happy again.

I've done this once- the issue is- he doesn't like a reduction in game time even if it means he will injure himself less.

Can you ease up on his training intensity to protect him?

On 'Rotation' status, I would usually play him in 40% of games, his ambitious personality might push that to 50% - if he isn't happy with that amount of game time I would look to move him on.

7 hours ago, Bunkerossian said:

I've done this once- the issue is- he doesn't like a reduction in game time even if it means he will injure himself less.

As 'Rotation' status, if he is given 50% of playing time, he should no longer become unhappy. If he is still complaining about playing time, maybe it is a bug I think.

Archived