[FM18] Not Another Journeyman Story

Constantine

Yeah, right... Of course it's another journeyman story...

Meet Dusan Nemanjic, Belgrade born, twenty-something immigrant, vagabond, looking for a fresh start and a opportunity to steal a job from honest British working people. Or honest German people. Or French. As long as it put a pizza on the table and beer in the fridge. 

There are no goals for him to reach. Just to have some fun and see where the road take him. (And to kill some time till next World Cup game and next football season start)

No available clubs at the start so we wait untill something opens up. 

wait.gif

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a30ca5f024bc78e5a709207cb45ea4b4.png

c740fc349354c3117d60ccd6f306fcbe.png

Well, it seems it's after all Brits i'm stealing a job from. And honestly, could've been worse...
Happy with Hartlepool. Thank the Gods that Dover and some french clubs whose names i won't even try to spell has rejected me. It seems like a good club, poorly run in recent times, if i'm remembering correctly from couple of articles i've read. 
Squad seems decent enough although it'll not set the world on fire. Need to do proper evaluation but that will have to wait as i have some family issue to take care of. 
Finances... I've seen worse, i've managed in worse conditions (spanish lower leagues can be a nightmare) so i don't expect much trouble at this front. 
Competitions wise, we currently sit 18th in Vanarama National League, got knocked out of FA Cup and still in that tiresome FA Trophy, where we'll play Kidderminster. Board require top half position so we need to pick up some wins and we're there. Tactics wise, i really don't like to complicate much. We'll line up in simple 4-4-2 and go from there. 

a3466b35da1940616ec0081dac6e89ae.jpg

HARTLEPOOL UNITED

First month or so in charge. Things are going really well at the moment. 

0f7456533d95c70a62e8c325fd030667.png

In league, 4 victories, draw and a loss. Infuriating thing is, we dropped points vs teams that are on paper weaker than us. Got through Kidderminster in FA Trophy. So, overall, can't really complain. 
Transfer window is open again and i expect us to be active here. Squad is larger than i would like so some trimming will be done. That'll also get our wage budget back in black. 
As for arrivals, i don't really know. If right player become available and we could afford him, why not.
Next update will be at the end of the season. I'll shamelessly borrow dafuge's template for writing those reports so i hope he won't mind. 
Sooo... Let's get back to work. About that trimming...  

giphy.gif

HARTLEPOOL UNITED

2017./18.[/b]

Vanarama National League - We've played amazing at times and rightly sneaked into playoff spots. Dismantled Maidstone in the first round but were too knackered to do anything vs Barrow, who played brilliantly in the first half and went on to win promotion to League 2.  
FA Cup - This was under previous regime. 
FA Trophy - Played mixed team in these games. Nevertheless, should've won against Woking but defenders were braindead in that game. 
Squad - If i can keep this lot together, with some added depth, i suspect we'll take the league by storm next season. Shipley and Hepburn-Murphy must stay!! Will they? Don't know that yet...
Transfers - Earned some peanuts but more importantly, now we actually have some wage budget. I've cheekily lowered it by asking a few players to take a pay cut since we were in difficult financial situation and after that i've sold some deadwood. Should be enough to get few decent players in.  
Finances - In the red but nothing critical... For now.  
Key players: 
Jordan Serna - Topped our average ratings list. He's still getting used to english football so i expect few more goals next season.  
Rushian Hepburn-Murphy - Our top scorer. 
Jack Munns - Forced to play at the right wing but was utterly brilliant there. Scored a few fk screamers. 

CAREER SUMMARY

Season    Club             Country  League                      Position   Achievements
2017./18. Hartlepool Utd   ENG      Vanarama National League       6.           /

Goals for the upcoming season 
Adding some depth to the squad and going for direct promotion. I feel we can do it. 

€20!! :eek: Don't spend it all at once!

On second thought, you probably should spend them quickly before Brexit makes them worthless...

d1c015b2f3f9ca9648ccabfeca348c2b.png

91231180b47b18cd7a053925e777b22b.png

We've done our work quickly and had team ready week or two before first game. Love what i've done here, some big earners are out and we've got more capable replacements on less money. One worry though... Well, kinda. We barely have wingers of our own. There were few players i looked up to but they weren't interested or asked for way too much money.
So, without further ado, let's meet the new Monkey Hangers.
Theo Archibald - My new first pick for left wing 
Stuart Moore - Backup for Loach 
Will Annan - Loanee from Hull will compete v Winchester for right wing role 
Jonny Burn - Great catch. He'll lead our defense for years to come 
Easah Suliman - Pakistani/Englishman will take over Richardson's place at rb 
Callum Chettle - All around midfielder who can play at the right and in the heart of midfield
Alex Samuel - Former Swansey youngster is expected to terrorize defenses at this level 
Rekeil Pyke - Here for rotation 
Carl Winchester - Signed after Annan got injured. Look like a great player and he'll perhaps be my first pick for right winger

7 hours ago, Lenzar said:

13 foreign players...ouch!

Hope you have a good youth academy.

It's gonna be interesting, that's for sure. Anyhow, i don't think this will be that much of a problem, as i prefer working with smaller squads. So as long as i can find 9 decent Englishmen, with those 13 slots, we'll be fine :) 

HARTLEPOOL UNITED

2018./19.

Vanarama National League - Quality wise, we were top half League 2 team playing a level below. And it showed on the pitch. Almost perfect season, with all kind of records being broken on our way to the title.   
FA Cup - I wanted a strong cup run, since nobody couldn't touch us in the league. Sadly, York had other plans. Fielded our strongest eleven and for reasons unknown to me, we imploded... Badly.  
FA Trophy - At least we did well here. 
Squad - Quite pleased with this team. Loads of quality there. Nevertheless, you can expect minimal changes in the next transfer window.
Transfers - No changes since last time i showed you.  
Finances - Really, really good. We'll actually have some money to spend.  
Key players: 
Alex Samuel - Our top scorer. And on his day, our best player by mile. He does have odd dud game here and there.   
Rhys Oates - Backup striker had a season to remember. After Serna's injury he's got to play some more minutes and he was fantastic.  
Will Annan - Young Scotsman was our best rated player. Which is even more impressive when it's known that his season was plagued by injuries. 

CAREER SUMMARY

Season    Club             Country  League                      Position   Achievements
2017./18. Hartlepool Utd   ENG      Vanarama National League       6.           /
2018./19. Hartlepool Utd   ENG      Vanarama National League       1.      FA Trophy

Keep the core group in the club, replace fringe players and get into top half of League 2. 

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

Nice a LLM Career! 

I must ask what Formation and TI's do you use? 

I am trying to end my wengeresque reliance on the 4-2-3-1 Wide...…..

Thanks mate :)

0bd88c3a3c23c5cfd5d8723cd1ab32a5.png
It really isn't anything special. For PI, all defenders has "tackle harder", bwm "mark tighter" and "shoot less often" while cm has all that plus "close down more". For away matches, i usually drop mentality to counter, untick "use offside traps" and put defensive line on "drop deeper". For wasting time, borrowed a tip from knap, wingbacks with defend duty, contain mentality and waste time on maximum. 
That's it. Not really tactical mastermind, i usually go for simpler approach and keep my players happy. That's like, 60, 70 % of success in last few FM's.

2392d1cd5a7857c1529cdf1fc9c26144.png

I've planned to add 3, 4 more players to the last year squad. How did i ended up buying 9 players, i don't really know :D
Will Annan - One of our best players last season. Sadly, out of field for rest of the year.  
Callum Chettle - Was good for us, versatille player so we've got him on Bosman. 
Ryan Corrigan - Former City youngster. Boy, isn't he fast?! 
Harry Lennon - Took a risk with this one, as my scouts told me he's injury prone. Hopefully, i can manage him better as season goes... 
Josh Bowler - Only new loanee this year. And huge upgrade for left wing.  
Joe Riley - Good option to have
Randi Goteni - Former Troyes man will boss our midfield 
Craig Morgan - Bit slowish for my taste but experienced rotational option. Can't go wrong with that.  
Harry Cornick - Replacement for poor Annan, signed after his untimely demise. 

Cornick becomes quite good, i had him on a LLM game before, think i was bradford PA. Nice little squad you've got, whats your plans for the season? Consolidate, aim for playoffs and automatic promotion will be a bonus?

54 minutes ago, MagicHat said:

Cornick becomes quite good, i had him on a LLM game before, think i was bradford PA. Nice little squad you've got, whats your plans for the season? Consolidate, aim for playoffs and automatic promotion will be a bonus?

Pretty much, yes. I've scouted top 10 media predicted teams and bar Crewe, Accrington and Bristol Rovers, we're better than anyone else. Samuel-Serna pairing might make huge difference as i can't see anyone having better strike force. Our media prediction vary between fourth and seventh place but i really expect us in top 5. 

HARTLEPOOL UNITED

2019./20.

Sky Bet League 2 - Well, that was easier than expected...   
FA Cup - Fantastic. Can't really complain for exit v Reading although it is a little bit disappointing since we eliminated two PL teams before them.   
Carabao Cup - Stoke was too strong for us. 
Checkatrade Trophy - Not much bothered by this.
Squad - Boys were outstanding this year.
Transfers - Board accepted offer for Corrigan and McDonald was the best i could get at deadline day. He is decent though.   
Finances - Looking great. But our wage budget will take a hit, as i have to extend more than a few contracts.  
Key players: 
Jordan Serna - His first injury free season. And he finally started to play as well as i know he can.    
Harry Cornick - Decent debut season for him, as he topped our assist chart.   
Carl Winchester - Our top rated player. He might leave though, as he often complained about lack of play time.  

CAREER SUMMARY

2018./19. Hartlepool Utd   ENG      Vanarama National League       1.      FA Trophy
2019./20. Hartlepool Utd   ENG      Sky Bet League 2               1.           /

As we played and defeated PL and CH sides... F*** it. Let's keep these boys together and go for another promotion.  

1 hour ago, Lenzar said:

Getting to the 6th round in FA Cup means your stock is rising! The offers will come in soon!

You, sir, were absolutely right. 

New job offer

Recently relegated from Premier League, decent looking albeit kinda oldish squad... I've attended interview. 

But have to go to work soon, so their response will have to wait till tonight. 

298f81f40cfe1df7a4e5867834b80871.png

They came back with an offer i couldn't refuse.
A bit sad for leaving Hartlepool, but this is a chance a couldn't pass up. Premier League club, relegated to Championship. With a really good squad for the level we're going to be but... Some players don't want to take that journey with us. And that's ok. Love me some rebuild :D    
Club // Facilities // Squad // League Table // Finances

87b4f383a68486cc604b53246dc43cd9.png

This was very long transfer window... And exhausting as hell. I've shipped away most of those who didn't want to stay for next season but few of them are kept. They're throwing a fit at the moment but when window closes, hopefully they'll stop bitching. 
Overall, i think i did a good job. Most of these were transfer listed hence discount prices. Might sign few more kids, as board want players for future but that'll have to wait as we're under transfer embargo because of possible takeover. That's a story for another day...  
Didier Ndong - Proven player for this level.   
Javi Ontiveros - Had him on some previous save of mine. For this price, absolute bargain. 
Borja San Emeterio - Decent option to have for rb position. 
Sullay Kaikai - Homegrown backup.  
Fede Cartabia - On my Valencia save few years back, he was pain in the a** to manage. But still, fantastic player.   
Ryan Bennett - Experienced, CH proven, English. 
Luke Garbutt - Leeds academy graduate will be our starting left back. Really struggled to find half decent player on this position who wanted to join us.   
Declan Rice - Another one for homegrown quota. Looking really good, can cover both cd and bwm role.  
Jared Rose - Southampton keeps pumping out those quality left backs... 
Danilo Cataldi - After losing both Dale Stephens and Josh Vela, i had to get some all around midfielder. He's the best i could get. 

Transfers // Update

OUT
1f8eef905d142494387c3cf104a74c1b.png

Few more players sold for combined 50+ mill. Really wanted to keep Pasalic but he kept complaining, got himself injured two times during preseason so i shipped his a** off. 
HSV came with really good offer for Morelos. He's great player but money was good and i wanted to bring young striker from Uruguay who looked amazing for his age. It was no brainer.

IN

105c4e25bcf4b662c23043c4b943786d.png

Direct replacements for players sold + keeper prospect. 
Rondineli Basso - Great looking playmaker. Most expensive player i've bought so far as i activated his release clause. 
Ricardo Costa - Uruguaian striker i told you about. Brilliant for his age, either footed, what's not to like...
Renato Machado - Promising keeper who'll spend this season in reserves and take over as backup next year.
Raad Muhammed - San Emeterio is promoted to first XI and this guy will be his replacement. Decent, strong, already international and can run till tomorrow.  

Not played much FM these days. Got Boardwalk Empire box set and simply couldn't shut it down. Finished first season last night, brilliant series so far. 

Anyway, FM... Fired it up hour ago. Finally, after months and months of speculation, it happened. 

2ebd6f5871201e45391b9994f424f8bc.png

8c0df05d531f8613010c8f5360d0a474.png

Meh

And we become PLC... Not familiar with that. 

6d47c2d67e47dc31df538c51189755c4.png

Transfers // Update

OUT
9f4e1565055c86f09bfd2e52757dd500.png

So... Welbeck is out too. Bloody bastard kept complaining and complaining. Got sick of him and shipped him to Liverpool. Didn't want to sell Izguierdo but he wanted first team football and i couldn't give him that. Norwood was awful, getting sent off match after match. When i found Portugese Kante, he had to go. 

IN

c2749fda54f37906b9b12140f8f227bf.png

More youngsters as we keep building for the future. 
Callum Gribbin - At this point, rotational option. Didn't develop as well as he could but he's still young, English. I'll give him some play time and see how he does.  
Guilherme Marques - Brilliant looking defensive midfielder
Franck Nimaga - Promising striker who's already getting compared to a legend that is Raul

298f81f40cfe1df7a4e5867834b80871.png

BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION

2020./21.

Sky Bet Championship - Board expected swift return to the riches of Premier League and we delivered.   
FA Cup - 6th round again. Easily dispatched Millwall, surprised Tottenham, did enough to win v Swansea and then we got destroyed by Bobby Firmino, who scored all 4 goals for City.    
Carabao Cup - Business as usual till we fell apart in extra time v Wolves.  
Squad - A whole new Seagulls. Krul, Ryan, Shawcross, Roberts and Pereira are all that is left from Brighton of old. These boys took their time untill they learned to play together but since then they were absolutely unstoppable. 
Transfers - Lot of business done as we rejuvenated whole squad. Next window, we'll do some fine tuning but not much else. Proper left back is a must. Shawcross's contract expires and i'll sell Perreira most likely. Don't want to but he get injured more than Jack Wilshere.     
Finances - Noice  
Key players: 
Viktor Gyokeres - Brought him back from loan at Malme to be a backup but... A season to remember for young Swede.    
Andreas Pereira - When he's healthy, he's hands down our best player.    
Ricardo Costa - Luis Suarez got himself a heir. Fantastic debut season. Wanted to give him a raise but for some reason, he think we're below his level. It's a good thing that we have him tied till 2025.   

CAREER SUMMARY

2019./20. Hartlepool Utd   ENG      Sky Bet League 2               1.           /
2020./21. Brighton         ENG      Sky Bet Championship           1.           /

Survive!   

Now that your at Brighton and returned to the Premier League any chance of trying "innovative" tactics to avert relegation?

By "innovative" I mean something other than a 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 Wide or 4-3-3.  If so please show formation, roles, and TI's?

No, i don't think so. I'm usually "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" guy so i'll keep going forward with 442. 

Finally done with work after few very long days so i can get back to FM today. Transfer window has begun and we'll try to strengthen our side before PL debut.  

Transfer Window

OUT

4e8b119ad20e8e53e8c41e21033ee9d9.png

Got offers i couldn't refuse for Pereira and Gyokeres. And while they were great for us, both of them weren't that hard to replace. Krul was always going after last season as i wanted to give Machado a chance. Bennett is getting older, his contract is expiring next year and nobody wanted to buy him. So i've loaned him to Villa while cheekingly adding mandatory buyout clause of 5m. Cataldi has gone back home and if Sampdoria is pleased with him, they have a option to get him permanently for 12m. Didn't really needed to sell him but i wanted to give our own graduate some play time. He's going to be as decent backup as any.   

IN

3c2928ffaa77709d87a470a12056c331.png

Only six arrivals as i felt it'll be enough for a decent PL debut campaing.  
Josh Earl - LB option i've arranged back in february.   
Kacper Przybyla - Fantastic looking Polish wonderkid. Already an international. Beaten Arsenal and PSG for his signature. 
Jamaal Lascelles - Brought in to fill void left by Showcross's exit. 
Tosin Adarabioyo - Hasn't developed at all as much as he could. I've seen him in previous saves and he was usually brilliant. Hopefully he can improve a bit with us.  
Ryan Kent - Homegrown,  either footed, can play on both wings, can improve in the future. For this money, no brainer.  
Pedro Marques - When it was clear that Gyokeres was leaving, i've scoured transfer listed players and found this gem. Looks fantastic, complete striker with room to improve. He might be a steal of my career so far. 

Archived