FM2009 Official Portsmouth Thread (sponsored by a lack of money)

Sheer Class

Time for a little update:

Season 1:

Players out: £37m

Summer: Wilson (£1m), Duffy (£1m), Lauren (£2.5m), Traoré (£2m), Mvuemba (£3.2m), Nugent (£4m), Pamarot (£1.5m)

Winter: Diop (£7.5, Spurs) and Glen Johnson (£14m cash to Newcastle)

Players in: £35m

Summer: Marcelo (Real Madrid, £4.4m), Vermaelen (£6.25m)

Winter: Keirrison (£11.5m), Clerc (£3.9m), Matias Fernandez (£8.75m)

And a new contract for Distin and Diarra!

League Cup: not important

FA Cup: decent, Chelsea too strong though...

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/5928/fa1ia5.jpg

Uefa Cup: a complete off-day in the home game v Citeh :(

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7171/euro1yk8.jpg

PL: 4the place means CL you would think. But thanks to Liverpool, who've won the cl again (on penalties of course) I had to be happy with a place in the Euro Cup. So no extra champions league millions, it's becoming very difficult to survive like this... Newcastle have been taken over by a rich Malaysian so they and City can spend over £100m. And they're still crap :D

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6707/20082009leaguepw3.jpg

Season 2

Transfers:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7868/20092010transfersfg4.jpg

Crouchie played decent enough in the first year, but i needed a more technically gifted target man, Cardozo fitted the bill. Rafinha was too expensive, but I really like him...

Asenjo is a brilliant, brilliant goalkeeper!

League Cup: not important

Euro Cup: again a bad day in the semis

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9946/euro2ms4.jpg

FA Cup: glory!

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3189/fa2vb8.jpg

including a visit 'down the road'

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/8848/burenruzieiy8.jpg

PL: Just incredible, lucky to have little injury en suspension problems but still incredible!

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7625/20092010leagueji1.jpg

and this time even Liverpool can't keep me out of the Champions League!

landmarksts9.jpg

managerrg8.jpg

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Viggie Wunder
I have found Paolo Ferreira to be a good signing as cover for Glen Johnson for just £1.3m. My game has not gone to well though only 11th after 15 games which i find disapointing. My team seem to throw away victiories at the last minute

I am really annoyed that the chairman accepted a 21 million dollar bid for Diarra from the Chelski Scum for my Pompey team. They also sold Kranjcar and Glen Johnson without my permission. Replaced them with a hoard of youngsters(Santon, John Fleck and Stefan Radu and Franco Zuculini(became wonderkid in second season))

Hey Viggie, I keep getting that as well from the Chairman, it was a 10.6m bid for Kaboul with 25% profit sell on clause and they accepted it over my head! luckily, Kaboul could not agree terms and the deal fell through. Funnily though, a 12.2m bid for Crouch (from Watford!) and they let me make the decision, which I duly accepted of course!

id be gutted kaboul didnt go for that money he isnt that good also ive signed:

angel di maria 7.5 enyeama 500k insua loan diego lugano 6m daniel diaz 4m alexis sanchez 2.8m

and i sold:

pamarot 800k traore 500k kranjcar 10m kanu 1.4m lauren 1.8m r.hughes 1m nugent 2.3 hreidasson 1m distin 11.5m m.wilson 900k

I've started a new career with Portsmouth guys! :D Decided to give it a go :)

I have signed Beletti, Edgar Davids, Timo Gebhart, Freddie Ljungberg and Paulo Ferreira. I've only sold Sylvain Distain to date (£12.25M) and am currently on a selling spree! Trying to get rid of the deadwood. I NEED two quick centre-backs and two quick wingers.

Here's a question, do you actually get taken over? And if so, are you given a lot of cash?

Any tips? All will be welcome :D

Cheers guys

I've started a new career with Portsmouth guys! :D Decided to give it a go :)

I have signed Beletti, Edgar Davids, Timo Gebhart, Freddie Ljungberg and Paulo Ferreira. I've only sold Sylvain Distain to date (£12.25M) and am currently on a selling spree! Trying to get rid of the deadwood. I NEED two quick centre-backs and two quick wingers.

Here's a question, do you actually get taken over? And if so, are you given a lot of cash?

Any tips? All will be welcome :D

Cheers guys

I have been taken over and got given a promised kitty of £72m just before deadline day in august which I spent most of. I then got a further £30m when I asked in January. I then got another £35m for the next season. :D I would think that was a lot of money

I'm playing as Tottenham, but am considering starting a new game as Pompey. I was a bit hesitant at first 'cos of the lack of money, but it's a nice challenge... and in my Spurs game Portsmouth got bought out at the end of Season 1 are now pretty much the richest club in the game (bar City, obviously!). Anyone found themselves out of work when the takeover comes though?!

Can anyone recommend a good striker for me as I had to sell Defoe who had been amazing up til January and of course Sahar's loan has ended. Also I don't have much of a budjet, I think it is around £2 million.

Robert Lewandowski, a Young Polish player, is usually available from Lech for about £800k, and is well worth the investment. I've had him at Tottenham in a previous save, as well as at Pompey in my current game, and he's always scored a decent amount of goals, and looked like developing in to a top class striker. He's certainly better than Nugent!

Nearing the end of my second season and it is panning out quite nicely......there maybe a silver lining or two at the end of this season. ;)

I will say though that with 4 games in the league to go Champions League football has been secured :D

Guesty6 - August Transfer Window Update

Sponsored by a lack of money, I decided to try and slim the squad and the wage bill and bring in some younger stars in the making.

With that in mind, I sold the following players..

Dave Nugent - WBA - 4.2mil

D Traore - Stoke - 1.4mil

Noe Pamarot - Fulham - 1.9mil

Lauren - Stoke - 2mil

Hreidersson - Fulham - 1mil

Richard Huges - Bolton - 1.5mil

Sylvain Distin - Tottenham - 13.75mil

Mvuemba - West Brom - 3.1mil

Kanu - West Brom - 1mil

Matty Ritchie - Birmingham - 500k

TOTAL - £30.5 Million

LOANS OUT

Begovic, Cowan-Hall & Hyland - Zulte Waregem

Kilbey - Mansfield

Christophe - Derby

Jerome THomas - Leeds

Also let a couple of players go free

TRANSFERS IN

Oscar Cardozo FC (Benfica) - 5.5mil

Marcelo DL (R.Madrid) - 5mil

David Luiz DC (Benfica) 6.75mil

Thiago Silva DC (Fluminese) 2.8mil

Edgar Davids DM - FREE

Thomas Gravesen MC - FREE

Hatem Trabelsi DR - FREE

First 4 games

Charity Shield

Pompey 1 (Kaboul) - Man Utd 1 (Pompey win on Penalties 3-1)

Pompey 2 (Krancjar, Cardozo) - Fulham 1

Liverpool 1 - Pompey 0

Pompey 3 (Johnson, Defoe, Traore) - Wigan 0

I picked up Bostock and Parrett at tribunals from Spurs in the opening weeks of the game. Pretty pleased with that! I think in a couple of years those boys will be at the centre of my midfield.

Has anyone/everyone ended up with the club being bought out? Did you end up with big budgets as a result? Or out of a job?! I'm only a couple of months in to the game, but there seems to be a lot of rumours and Gaydamak has told the press he wants to step aside.

I consider you lucky to only lose 1-0 to them. I lost 5-2 in my early season game....Torres ripped me a new one. But if it is any consolation I broke my Chelsea hoodoo in a remarkable fashion. After losing 4-1 in the league at Stamford and losing on Penalties in the League Cup I played em last night in an end of season showdown and whooped em 9-0.... :o I was as shocked as you lot will be as I had only previously won 5-0 at best against a really apalling Birmingham.

I consider you lucky to only lose 1-0 to them. I lost 5-2 in my early season game....Torres ripped me a new one. But if it is any consolation I broke my Chelsea hoodoo in a remarkable fashion. After losing 4-1 in the league at Stamford and losing on Penalties in the League Cup I played em last night in an end of season showdown and whooped em 9-0.... :o I was as shocked as you lot will be as I had only previously won 5-0 at best against a really apalling Birmingham.

I found Chelsea quite easy to play against in '08 as they always seemed to have their centre backs really far apart, so a lone striker could tear through the middle of them over and over and over. Maybe they've got a similar flaw on '09?

My formation is a 4-1-2-2-1 with Attacking Wingers which seems to limit the other teams chances, have been playing very well and won all other games, even won the Shield as i mentioned above, James scored a pen for me!

GK - James

DL - Marcelo

DC - David Luiz

DC - Thiago Silva

DR - Glen Johnson

DM - Sean Davis

MC - Boo Boppa Diop (Did anyone see Richard Keys call him that on Sky Sports vs Newcastle)

MC - Lassana Diarra

AML - Niko Krancjar

AMR - John Utaka

FC - Oscar Cardozo/Peter Crouch

I have been taken over and got given a promised kitty of £72m just before deadline day in august which I spent most of. I then got a further £30m when I asked in January. I then got another £35m for the next season. :D I would think that was a lot of money
I found Chelsea quite easy to play against in '08 as they always seemed to have their centre backs really far apart, so a lone striker could tear through the middle of them over and over and over. Maybe they've got a similar flaw on '09?

If Chelsea are playing under Scolari they seem to play a certain way which is hard to break down as he is very tactically astute and changes to play again what I do. Although they will start with what looks like a central SC and AMC during the game they switch so that the SC is on the left and the AMC is on the right and it seems to destroy my usual tactic. However in the match when I beat them they were under a new manager and they played a different style which suited me plus it was a wet day which also helped with the long shots against some reserve keeper cause Cech and Cudicini were injured.

I will post a special screenie for it though when I do my season review later today or tomorrow

Talking of tactics, what do people generally plump for at the start of 08/09? I want to use Kranjcar and Utaka as advanced wingers, but I also want to accomodate Crouch and Defoe as I found in my old Spurs save that a lone striker can really struggle in '09.

I'm thinking of going 4-1-3-2, with the 3 being 3 CMs with the right and left sided ones encouraged to get wide and get forward. This will probably mean Utaka warming the bench though.

To be honest I just went with a 4-4-2 and set the team to high tempo, mainly due to my pacy players on the left and on the right. Also I try to be attacking unless I'm playing the big four or Newcastle (they have been taken over by a Chinese tycoon and have an amazing team at the moment). Also I have completed the signing of Lewandowski and I got Bellamy as he had decent pace and acceleration and already appears to work well with Crouch. I'm about to receive £10 million for Utaka of which I will get £7.5 million and will look into signing Aaron Lennon who looks to have appropriate pace for my tactics, I'll post again when I finish season 1.

To be honest I just went with a 4-4-2 and set the team to high tempo, mainly due to my pacy players on the left and on the right. Also I try to be attacking unless I'm playing the big four or Newcastle (they have been taken over by a Chinese tycoon and have an amazing team at the moment). Also I have completed the signing of Lewandowski and I got Bellamy as he had decent pace and acceleration and already appears to work well with Crouch. I'm about to receive £10 million for Utaka of which I will get £7.5 million and will look into signing Aaron Lennon who looks to have appropriate pace for my tactics, I'll post again when I finish season 1.

Play Gael Nlundulu instead...

MY 1 up front seemed to be wearing thin with no win in 5 games so switched to 4-4-2 and drew 1-1 with Everton, Defoe seems to be my only striker that can score! Cardozo I cant remember the last time he had a shot and he is set to shoot often and crouch has misfired also!

What is Ben Sahar like for you? Apparently IRL he is only CCC class, so was wondering is he is good on FM.

In my game he played one game and was then sent back to Chelsea as he was pants.

Guesty6 - Half Season Update 2008/9 - 1st Feb 09

Here is how my season has been going so far...

RESULTS

PREMIER LEAGUE (Currently 13th)

Played 24

Won 7

Drawn 8

Lost 9

For - 32

Away - 33

UEFA CUP - Through to 1st Knockout Round Vs Roma

LEAGUE CUP - Knocked out by Man City (4th Round)

FA CUP - Through to 5th Round vs Cardiff

Top Players

Appearances - Glen Johnson 33+1, Utaka 32+2, David Luiz 32, Thiago Silva 31, Diop 30+1

Goals - Cardozo 15, Diarra 8, Utaka 7, Defoe 7, Silva&Traore 2

Av Rating (more than 10 games) - Utaka 7.3, Diarra 7.15, Johnson 7.13

January Transfers

IN - Sergio Asenjo (GK) - £7.25mil, Kerrison (ST) - £6mil

OUT - Sol Campbell (Mutual £1mil), Christophe (Cardiff) - £210k

Well I have completed the first seaspn so here is a breif summary

community sheild equalised in extra time in the second half but couldn't win in the shootout

Premier league 8th with 59 points. Had to rely on alate surge mainly down to Robert Lewandowski scoring 10 goals in 14 appearences.

FA cup Semi-final loss to Arsenal. Recovered from 3-0 to make it 3-2 but couldn't equalise.

League cup 4th round defeat to Middlesbrough. Wasn't to bothered as it gave my players more time to rest

Euro cup 2nd knockout round defeat to Heerenveen lost in both legs and played rather porrly afte beating them in the group stages

Players in- Quck note I'm useless at finding good players but my signings generally did well

Christopher Samba £6.75 million

Paolo Ferreira £1.3 million

Marek Jankulovski £575K

Adrien £5.5 million

Nadir Belhadj £3.5 million

Craig Bellamy £7.75 million (seems over priced but chipped in with valuable goals and assists until he broke his leg)

Robert Lewandowski £975k

I would highly recommened Adrien especially if you could get him for cheaper than I did, he is a quality youth player should turn very good. I would type in players out but it is very young basic transder summary

total received-£42 million

Total spent-£22 million

finnaly over the course of the season I had two failed consortium takeovers which I was disapointed with but I will let you guys know how season 2 starts

After fm 08's champions league win in 3 years i wondered how i could do this year but with no money it will be tough but who knows? i am big united fan but it is too easy being them and pompey have a good youth set up and the odd flash player!

As i said before in summer i bought angel di maria 7.5, enyeama 500k, insua loan, diego lugano 6m, daniel diaz 4m, alexis sanchez 2.8m. Total: 21 million

and i sold:

pamarot 800k traore 500k, kranjcar 10m, kanu 1.4m, lauren 1.8m, r.hughes 1m, nugent 2.3m, hreidasson 1m, distin 11.5m, m.wilson 900k, duffy 775k. Total: 31.5 million

I managed to beat a lacklustre man united in community shield pretty easily with a 2-1 victory.

PREMIERSHIP

i then beat west brom 2-0. Then came arsenal my first test this proved not to be passed either with 23 shots from them and 4 from me but luckily only a 1-0 loss. But from then on we've been on the up no losses after that for 16 games in the prem drawing with the other big 4 teams and they were all away 0-0 with man united and liverpool and 1-1 at chelsea by the way daniel diaz and lugano have been in sensational form as we've got the best defensive record in the premiership only conceeding 6. But i cant buy a goal from either of my strikers sanchez still hasnt scored even though playing right wing and crouch only got 6 in all competitions and defoe is on 3 embarrasing. but as i said in intro the flash player being diarra has been class as hes got 9 by early december i should be way up their but with 7 draws im only in 5th but only 5 points behind liverpool. My record in the prem is P16 W8 D7 L1 F17 A6

THE CUPS

League cup: i beat everton i 3rd round on pens then thrashed reading 4-0 next comes quarters arsenal at the emirates

Uefa cup: In first round we were seeded as you will all know but sadly i drew probably the best team possible standard liege with early goals from utaka in crouch within 2 mins i i was hoping we'd put the game to bed but then defour scored on 12 mins` but luckily we hung on to win 2-1 then we travelled to belgium i set out with defensive tactics but this nearly cost me i conceded on 30 mins insua firing a header in his own net (dont trust a scouser or one that plays for them no offense) then i got 1 back in added time in the first half with a good finish from crouch. told the lads do it for the fans i guessed they musn't like them as we conceded straight away. then it came down to pens i was confident as we beat everton on them before insua made up for his gaff scoring the 1st penalty

then defour scored (i am contemplating making a bid next season)

daniel diaz scored for me

then they missed (get in!)

sanchez cooley buried it for me

pressure was on standard but michels musn't of felt it chipping his down the middle past james

i needed this to win and utaka fired home (cmon pompey!)

we got throught to the groups were we got a tought draw ish

tottenham

everton

rosenborg

stade rennais

i drew 0-0 with everton a boring game only 5 shots one on target

then i got beat by tottenham 1-0 my first loss for a while

but the team took it well with mvueba striking in a free kick against old club stade rennais to win 1-0

i'm only up to this stage but rosenborg at home should be easy i'm hoping for 2nd but evrton have to draw or lose

Now i would like some advice fast as there are two players i want to get i would like opinions they are

ruben de la red (trl for £2.5million)

Hedwinges maduro (trl for £1.4million)

should i sign 1 of them (please state) or both

Now i would like some advice fast as there are two players i want to get i would like opinions they are

ruben de la red (trl for £2.5million)

Hedwinges maduro (trl for £1.4million)

should i sign 1 of them (please state) or both

I'd go for Ruben De La Red at that price...

Season 2

Transfers in:

| Date | Person | From | Fee |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1.7.2009 | Yartey, Gordon | Hearts of Oak | Free |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1.7.2009 | Kleppe, Herman | Rosenborg | £1M |

| 1.7.2009 | Santarelli, Michele| FSV Frankfurt | £850K |

| 1.7.2009 | Traoré, Armand | Arsenal | £7.5M |

| 1.7.2009 | Sneijder, Rodney | Ajax | £2.5M |

| 1.7.2009 | Fred | Olympique Lyonnais | Free |

| 1.7.2009 | Elmer, Jonas | Aarau | £500K |

| 7.7.2009 | Sturridge, Daniel | Free Transfer | Free |

| 22.7.2009 | Andrews, Eddie | Middlesbrough | £4.5M |

| 23.7.2009 | Kane, Ian | Nottm Forest | £1M |

| 23.7.2009 | Butcher, Chris | Doncaster | £925K |

| 7.8.2009 | Cardozo, Oscar | Benfica | £14M |

| 10.8.2009 | Wood, Chris | Free Transfer | Free |

| 17.8.2009 | Golanski, Pawel | Steaua | £4.3M |

| 26.8.2009 | Adu, Freddy | Benfica | £10M |

| 28.8.2009 | Vukcevic, Simon | Sporting CP | £12.25M |

| 31.8.2009 | Radu, Stefan | Lazio | £2.2M |

| 17.10.2009 | Fontaine, Thomas | Free Transfer | Free |

| 10.1.2010 | Lescott, Joleon | Everton | £7.5M |

| 12.1.2010 | Bamba, Arsène | Flamengo | £11.5M |

| | Total | | £81M |

Transfers out:

| Date | Person | To | Fee |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1.7.2009 | Ashdown, Jamie | West Ham | £1M |

| 24.7.2009 | Crouch, Peter | Liverpool | £20M |

| 28.7.2009 | Camacho, Ignacio | Valencia | Ln Fee £1.5M |

| 7.8.2009 | Mvuemba, Arnold | A.S. Nancy Lorraine| £2M |

| 11.8.2009 | Rommedahl, Dennis | Middlesbrough | £725K |

| 28.8.2009 | Defoe, Jermain | Newcastle | £10M |

| 1.1.2010 | Christanval, Philippe | FC Metz | £825K |

| 1.1.2010 | Thomas, Jerome | Wolves | £2.5M |

| 4.1.2010 | Cranie, Martin | Middlesbrough | £500K |

| 5.1.2010 | Wilson, Marc | Sheff Wed | £100K |

| 24.1.2010 | Lukovic, Aleksandar | Wolfsburg | £4M |

| 11.4.2010 | James, David | | Free |

| | Total | | £43M |

Premier League:

It was close near the end until things just dropped off with 4 games to go. I finished 2nd behind Arsenal.

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | C | Arsenal | | 38 | 27 | 5 | 6 | 87 | 41 | +46 | 86 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Portsmouth | | 38 | 24 | 4 | 10 | 94 | 49 | +45 | 76 |

| 3rd | | Liverpool | | 38 | 21 | 7 | 10 | 53 | 36 | +17 | 70 |

| 4th | | Tottenham | | 38 | 20 | 9 | 9 | 61 | 44 | +17 | 69 |

| 5th | | Man Utd | | 38 | 19 | 11 | 8 | 63 | 37 | +26 | 68 |

| 6th | | Man City | | 38 | 17 | 16 | 5 | 56 | 28 | +28 | 67 |

| 7th | | Chelsea | | 38 | 21 | 9 | 8 | 59 | 41 | +18 | 63 |

| 8th | | Reading | | 38 | 14 | 14 | 10 | 42 | 42 | 0 | 56 |

| 9th | | Blackburn | | 38 | 17 | 4 | 17 | 72 | 62 | +10 | 55 |

| 10th | | Aston Villa | | 38 | 14 | 8 | 16 | 47 | 52 | -5 | 50 |

| 11th | | Newcastle | | 38 | 13 | 8 | 17 | 51 | 53 | -2 | 47 |

| 12th | | Bolton | | 38 | 11 | 12 | 15 | 31 | 42 | -11 | 45 |

| 13th | | Sunderland | | 38 | 11 | 11 | 16 | 41 | 53 | -12 | 44 |

| 14th | | Middlesbrough | | 38 | 12 | 8 | 18 | 49 | 64 | -15 | 44 |

| 15th | | Everton | | 38 | 11 | 9 | 18 | 41 | 51 | -10 | 42 |

| 16th | | Wolves | | 38 | 10 | 10 | 18 | 43 | 68 | -25 | 40 |

| 17th | | West Ham | | 38 | 9 | 10 | 19 | 40 | 59 | -19 | 37 |

| 18th | R | West Brom | | 38 | 9 | 9 | 20 | 47 | 57 | -10 | 36 |

| 19th | R | Wigan | | 38 | 7 | 11 | 20 | 30 | 59 | -29 | 32 |

| 20th | R | Birmingham | | 38 | 2 | 7 | 29 | 27 | 96 | -69 | 13 |

League cup:

This was a dead Competition as far as the board were concerned and I fell in the 3rd round to Chelsea at stamford bridge, but only on Penalties.

FA Cup:

This was a crowning triumph with wins over Spurs, Arsenal, Villa and Liverpool in the Final to bring the trophy back to fratton for the second time in three years.

Archived