FM2009 Everton thread: Sponsored by Black Bill

Guest roberto922

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok... first season transfer window on the way...

super dealings done in my opinion. had to overhaul my squad, cos massive offers came in for my stars which i just could not refuse

Out

Leon Osman 6 mil (Sunderland)

Tony Hibbert 6.5mil (Middlesbourgh)

Phil Jaglieka Part exchange for L Diarra (Portsmouth)

Yakubu 20 mil (Real MAdrid)

Areteta 23 mil (Man. City)

Cahil 25 mil (Man City)

Saha Loan 50% salary (Paris St. G)

In

Juan Mata 4.2 mil (Valencia)

Ruben d.l Red 4.3 mil (Real MAdrid)

L Diarra 3 mil + Phil Jaglieka (Portsmouth)

Goran Pandev 12 mil (Lazio)

Matias Fernandez 6+6 24months (Villerreal)

Miguel Veloso 3+15 18 months ( Sporting SP)

With my squad full of quality in midfield, both in creative and holding, i'm planning to use a midfield based tactic. either 4-3-2-1 Xmas Tree or Brazilian 4-2-2-2

As my squad is thin in the striker department, maybe the Xmas tree is better.

Any suggestions on how i should set up my squad?

i still have 20+ mil left, but i was thinking of saving it.

Or should i bring in a quality DC, although Yobo and Lescott are alrite and Veloso and Fellanini can provide cover.

Any suggestions for loan DCs?

I got Song from Arsenal reserves on loan as a back up. He's competent in midfield too, although his discipline leaves a lot to be desired. Ive just signed Leo at start of second season too. Looks like a monster!

Well, I'm similar to abu (not an Everton fan IRL) but I thought I'd give Everton a go as my first game. Anyway, my first season wasn't much to write home about: finished 8th in the Premiership, 5th round of FA cup, quater final of League Cup and got knocked out of Uefa Cup by Milan in 2nd knockout phase. So all in all was an unspectacular season and meant that there would be no European football for the toffee's in 2nd season.

With regards to squad their has been a huge turnover in personnel and the following big hitters have left:

.Mikel Arteta - £20 million - Barcelona

.Tim Cahill - £13 million - Man City

.Leon Osman - £7 million - Spurs

.Joleon Lescott- £15 million - Ac Milan

.James Vaughan - £11 million - Sunderland

.Yakubu - £14 million - Newcastle

.Marouane Fellaini - £20 million - Man City

.Joseph Yobo - £14 million - Ajax

.Stewart Downing (signed in 1st season for £13 million) - £20 million - Ac Milan

As you can imagine with all the money coming in I've signed a few players here's some of the main ones:

.Mirel Radoi - £9 million - he's been well below average and will probaly be punting him soonish

.Pavel Pogrebynak - £8 million - absolute bargain! signed him 1st season in January transfer window and he's been a revelation 33 games - 22 goals and 9 assists.

.Javier Saviola - £3 million - signed in 2nd season and has formed an impressive partnership with big Pav. Top scorer in PL with 18 goals. Great signing!

.Matzualem - £3 million - signed in 2nd season and has been solid chipping in with 6 goals

.Igor Akinfeev - £17 million - Expensive but definitely worth it. He's paid it back with some superb performances.

.Bosko Janckovic - £9 million - Just like Matzualem, solid performer and very versatile.

.Miguel Torres - £1.5 million - Signed for backup but has performed well when called upon.

.And just recently in January transfer window; Elano (£5.5 mill), Vincent Kompany (£4.3 million), Adriano (£1.5 mill) and Rafael Carioca (£3.4mill).

So far 2nd season isn't going too bad 8th in the league but the margin between 8th and 4th is only 4 points, so a decent run should hopefully secure me a Uefa Cup place at least.

I took a look for Pogrebynak, not on my DB! Where did you buy him from?

Right coming up to january transfer window, no tranfers in the first window but i have since decided to sell arteta for 23mil, cahill for 25mil, hibbert 5.5mil, osman for 8mil and baines for 8mil anyone got any good replacements :D

EDIT: Oh and turner to city for 3.8mil.

Yeesh. How did you manage £6.5m for Hibbert?!

stroke of luck i suppose. his value was around the 4.2-4.5 mark.

so i transfer listed, disallowed loans and offered him out at 6.5mil

immediately i got 5 teams offering £0 upfront and 6.5mil over 24 months.

i needed the cash so i rejected them all.

then i just took him off the transfer list, thinking i had to somehow work him into the team

look and behold, next week, Middlesbourgh come in with a non-negotiable 6.5 mil offer upfront. then fulham matched and sunderland.

the rest is money in the bank, and well spent.. haaahha

I got Song from Arsenal reserves on loan as a back up. He's competent in midfield too, although his discipline leaves a lot to be desired. Ive just signed Leo at start of second season too. Looks like a monster!

ok, will look into Song. this Leo u mentioned, where is he from?

i tried making a Xmas tree formation yesterday, looks alrite..

but only had it on Friendly matches, plus i have major changes to the squad...

so they properly are not used to each other yet.

I have gone for a Band of 2 approach, mentality split from 14-8.

GK Howard

DL Baines

DR P Nevile

DC Yobo

DC Lescott

MC L Diarra

MCd Ruben Da la Red

MC Miguel Veloso

AMC Matias Fernadaez

AMC Goran Pandev

ST James Vaughn

Noteable subs

Juan Mata AMC

Fellanini MC,MCd, DC

Pienaar AMC

Rodwell MCd, DC

I took a look at the 09 TTFs and decided to set up Veloso as a box to box midfielder,

cos of his obvious good defensive and mental stats but also his decent technical stats, technique, passing, first touch, long shots, etc. Diarra is sort of lacking in the offensive technical stats but hopefully he can improve over time, cant wait to have 2 box to box mids supported by a full defensive mid (Ruben DL red or Fellanini)

Goran Pandev is technically good, but not high finishing, so decided to play him as a second striker, to make runs between defenders and hopefully get a easy shot on goal which he cant miss.. hahaa

Matias Fernandez is set up to be the creative brain of the tactic, ie. advanced playmaker, his finishing stat is lower than 08, so i decided to make him a more withdrawn role to feed the lone striker and the forward-running pandev. he is set on lower mentality, same as the support box to box mids, with free role.

James Vaughn, wonder kid, impressive pace and acceleration, however his strength stat has been reduced, i think its 13 or 14. passing and technique have dropped too.

used him in 08, as a pass to feet target man, because of his 'shoot with power' ppm, he used to rifle them in by turning a defender and blasting into the top corner.

i never used him as an aerial targetman, cos his heading stats just became stagnant at around 15, played him for 5 seasons.

however, in 09, he has barely gotten a rating above 6.5 without scoring.

maybe i lowered his mentality too low. i kept his forward runs on mixed, cos he is fast.

but i dont want him to become a 'run onto ball' targetman, cos his first touch, dribbling, finishing, composure stats are undeveloped yet.

any suggestions on how to get James Vaughn to shine?

Ive have signed Hamsik for £16.75mil, balotelli for £12mil, arshavin for £13mil, Pogrebnyak for £8mil and a youngster called cascio for next to nothing :D Look up for my transfers out.

balotelli for £12mil?? amazing, they wont even bother to negotiate when i offered 15mil.

how did u manage to sign him?

anyone here signed Adriano? i was hoping he would be shown the door, but although he is on rotation contract, they have rejected all my bids, valuing at max 20 mil.

i have no choice but to put off his capture until maybe Jan.

any1 tried playing him? any good?

Tbh mate i dno how i got him for 12mil, i put have put a few add ons in aswell but a few people have said they got him for 12mil. Oh and i wouldnt sign adriano, try the "OFFICIAL Good Strikers Thread" something like that anyway.

alrite, thx.

will take a look there

I've just bought adriano just before start of second season. So far he has played 5 scored 1 and set up 1. He's got a pretty poor average rating so far, but i will let him off that for now as he only cost me 1.1million. Will update when in January and let u know how he is doing.

Also anyone know of any good left wingers, need to buy one in January but just can't find one to my liking

Starting my 3rd season with Everton now. Bill sold the club- new owners were really looking at Louis Van Gaal to take my place but we were in 2nd place so they couldn't. :p

Fellaini was being a whiney little brat all of last season; really think he held the team back- Man City offered 23M for him, so I sold him and brought in Miguel Veloso to take his place. Also managed to sign Jack Wilshere- his contract at Arsenal was expiring and he wasn't getting in the first team, so I lowballed them with a bid for 2.1M, they accepted and I brought him in.

Ended up finishing in 7th last season, so I'm in the UEFA Cup- so far the striking group of Cardozo, Guilherme, Yakubu and Saivet have all been very good, and Arteta has been tearing up the pitch. Also- Mehmet Ekici, who I bought in the first season for 3M from Bayern is now 20, a wonderkid, is an absolutely fantastic midfielder and has bossed the midfield on more than a couple of occasions for me

I got Balotelli for £10m on its own :D For a loan DC I'd recommend Martin Caceres from Barca

Inter are not letting Balotelli go for anything on my save.

So i brought in Oscar Cardozo for 12 mil.

He is an absolute beast and at 25 yrs old, he still has years in his legs.

played 2 games in the PRM up to now, he hasnt scored yet but he set up 2 goals for James Vaughn.

Now experimenting with my own version of Uncle Sam's 4-2-2-2 tactic.

working alrite, although my players need to gell more.

won 1st game at home to Sunderland, 2-0 (Sunderland own goal + James Vaughn)

won 2nd game away Portsmouth 1-0 (James Vaughn)

next game Arsneal away, that will be a test.

If any1 is interested, i can share the basis for my box midfield tactic here.

wont share it on the Tactics forum, cos it is still very much work in progress and totally suited to my squad. i'm not good enough to know how to make it work for general teams

Starting my 3rd season with Everton now. Bill sold the club- new owners were really looking at Louis Van Gaal to take my place but we were in 2nd place so they couldn't. :p

Fellaini was being a whiney little brat all of last season; really think he held the team back- Man City offered 23M for him, so I sold him and brought in Miguel Veloso to take his place. Also managed to sign Jack Wilshere- his contract at Arsenal was expiring and he wasn't getting in the first team, so I lowballed them with a bid for 2.1M, they accepted and I brought him in.

Ended up finishing in 7th last season, so I'm in the UEFA Cup- so far the striking group of Cardozo, Guilherme, Yakubu and Saivet have all been very good, and Arteta has been tearing up the pitch. Also- Mehmet Ekici, who I bought in the first season for 3M from Bayern is now 20, a wonderkid, is an absolutely fantastic midfielder and has bossed the midfield on more than a couple of occasions for me

what tactic are u playing with Everton?

Fellaini a whiney brat? oh no, i intend to let him develop for a few season before i play him regularly. i've got Veloso and Ruben Da la red ahead of him for the midfield spots.

Playing a 4-4-2 with Veloso in a DM role and Ekici in the MC making runs forward. Both wings and wingbacks also making forward runs, and the majority of the team plays with a lot of creative freedom.

Fellaini, I think, will be fine with you- I made the mistake of playing him a lot early on, and he didn't develop as well as he might have and the team suffered- as a result, he wanted a move to a bigger club, so I sold him.

Have just started a new save at Millwall after 5 seasons with Everton - Finished in the top 4 every season best finish was 3rd, just 5 points off the top. I may go back to the save in the future and try for the title I just felt as though I was banging my head against a wall trying to win it…

Anyway, I can tell you Baxter would now be a 'leading star for most clubs', as is Rodwell. The pair of them are in the England squad and so is Gosling. Fellaini hasn't quite reached the level I had hoped for but is still a top player. The star of the show for me is Bolzoni from Inter, he now has a value of 19m and would get into any side on the game. Up top Acquafresca and Edison Cavani are leading the line and are both top, top players.

If your looking at a long term save with the toffees a new keeper sould be your first priority. Howard was average in the first year then absolutely stank the next. I signed Fiorillo from Sampdoria for 6m in the second season to be his understudy and he was first choice by January. He's now Italy's number 1 so get on him if you can.

last nite, met Arsneal at home.

won the match 4-0, although they had the bulk of possession.

playing with my own devised 4-2-2-2 box midfield.

crowded the midfield and only allowed them long shots and set piece chances.

on the occassions when i attacked their half, they made mistakes due to my forwards and AMC pressuring them. all 4 goals came from their mistakes.

1-0 Gael Glichy miss interception, pass stolen by DMC outside their penalty box,

pass to AMC M. Ferdandez who beat keeper at near post.

2-0 Long ball from DC towards corner flag, ST Oscar Cardozo chased the ball down.

GK came out and got to the ball first, hit a pass towards DL Glichy guarding the goal.

Glichy bundled the ball into the net when challenged in the air by other striker James Vaughn

3-0 DC silvestre cleared the ball weekly, fell to sub. AMC Veloso who blasted into top corner from 25 yards

4-0 Long ball from keeper to sub St Juan Mata, fouled by DC silvestre in the penalty box, Oscar Cardozo banged home the penalty.

Match stats.

I only had 45% of the final possession, most of the match i only had 37%.

They had 10 shots on goal, 2 on target, both were corner headers which my keeper dealt with comfortably.

I had 7 shots on goal, 5 on target, 4 goals.

Man of the Match Yobo, 7 key headers, 15 interceptions

Adjustments i had to make to face Arsneal.

knowing that they would consider me underdogs, they came at me fast paced and wide.

I could not play my normal narrow, short passing, slow tempo, would be inviting too much pressure.

So i increased passing to low mixed for defence, normal mixed for support and attack, but put direct passing on AMC to faciliate killer balls.

Increased width to 2 notches below midpoint, same for tempo.

worked very well. Formation was compact enough to stop their movements off the ball.

Tempo not too slow, so they can close me down.

Passing was direct enough to by-pass their closing down midfield to my forward players,

who were not cramped together and they picked out the gaps in their defence.

Overall, a very pleasing game to have watched.

Just to share with everyone, Toffee fans.. hahaha

I've got a question about the Yak but i dont know if any of you guys will be able to answer it seen as you all appear to have cashed in on him (cant see why, in my 2nd season on my game and he scored 38 in 42). Anywho, has anybody had success with playing him as a lone striker, i'm considering buying him and giving him the sole responsibility of scoring my goals, what do you reckon?

last nite, met Arsneal at home.

won the match 4-0, although they had the bulk of possession.

Nice going mate. On my save (season 1) Arsenal have Won 20 Drawn 3 Lost 0 so far - they are untouchable (only beat me with goals in last 10 mins Home and away though)

Nice thread, might as well start a new game with Everton :). I do wonder, how do you people sell players for so much? Transfer list them? Cause in my games no-one seems to be interested in Yakubu ór Arteta, they always stay long times at Everton? So how do I make other clubs interested in my players? And willing to pay loads for them?

Nice thread, might as well start a new game with Everton :). I do wonder, how do you people sell players for so much? Transfer list them? Cause in my games no-one seems to be interested in Yakubu ór Arteta, they always stay long times at Everton? So how do I make other clubs interested in my players? And willing to pay loads for them?

All I did was to offer Yak to all clubs for £25m plus 10%

Man City came in with £25m with no addons and no negotiations, so I accepted it and managed to get Pavel Pogrebnyak for £5.75m to replace him.

Overall, it looks like I made the right decision:

Pogrebnyak:

League: Played: 19(1) Scored: 12 Assist: 6 Rating: 7.10

Cup: Played: 2(0) Scored:2 Assist: 0 Rating: 6.50

Continental: Played: 3(1) Scored:2 Assist: 0 Rating: 6.63

International: Played: 3(0) Scored: 2 Assist: 1 Rating: 6.93

Overall: Played: 24(2) Scored: 16 Assist: 6 Rating: 6.98

Value Now: £6.25m

Yakubu:

League: Played: 8(7) Scored: 5 Assist: 1 Rating: 6.52

Cup: Played: 2(1) Scored:3 Assist: 0 Rating: 7.63

Continental: Played: 1(1) Scored:0 Assist: 0 Rating: 6.35

International: Played: 1(0) Scored: 2 Assist: 0 Rating: 7.90

Overall: Played: 11(9) Scored: 8 Assist: 1 Rating: 6.69

Value Now: £25m

Just started a new game in charge of my beloved Everton. Only 10 games into the season but currently unbeaten !!

Brought in Cana, Zhirkov, and Love all of who are sensational !!

The Yak is on fire with 8 goals and Love has banged in 6. I havent sold anyone as I want to keep the squad as 'real' as possible to start with.

4-4-2 at Goodison and 4-2-1-3 away from home.

Big game against Chelsea next...

Just started a new game in charge of my beloved Everton. Only 10 games into the season but currently unbeaten !!

Brought in Cana, Zhirkov, and Love all of who are sensational !!

The Yak is on fire with 8 goals and Love has banged in 6. I havent sold anyone as I want to keep the squad as 'real' as possible to start with.

4-4-2 at Goodison and 4-2-1-3 away from home.

Big game against Chelsea next...

How did you get them if you havn't sold anyone?

How did you get them if you havn't sold anyone?

I cheated I'm afraid mate ... for the first time in my 11 year FM career .. I cheated!! :(

I had two attempts and I was just dire. It was a case of drastic measures or the game collects dust on my shelf.

Boosted the transfer funds by £30m :eek:

Guest roberto922
Nice thread, might as well start a new game with Everton . I do wonder, how do you people sell players for so much? Transfer list them? Cause in my games no-one seems to be interested in Yakubu ór Arteta, they always stay long times at Everton? So how do I make other clubs interested in my players? And willing to pay loads for them?
Just started a new game in charge of my beloved Everton.

Welcome to the :cool: club :¬)

I cheated I'm afraid mate ... for the first time in my 11 year FM career .. I cheated!! :(

Aww boo! :thdn: Oh well can't really say I've never cheated tbf, good luck anyway :thup:

Guest roberto922

Ah good :) I'm actually considering a new game as I have sold too many star players (including the legend that is Cahill :( I feel oh so dirty for that :o) for it to be familiar for me.

Right lads in pre season of my third season finished fourth in the first season overtaking liverpool on the last day which was very sweet, then second season i finished third overtaking chelsea on the last day:D And just to show how good my finances are i just signed christian zapata for 30mil :o Well that was the majority of my budget :( Also i have got absolutly quality youngsters so it is looking good.

Plus the board have have just gave me a five year deal at 55k a week, i wanted them to pay me £0 but they insisted lol.

Well I finished 5th first season with very few changes. Sold Hibbert for £3.5m and got Belletti in on loan, and then bought him for £3m.

Over the summer I have sold Cahill for £23m and Saha for £2.5m. brought in:

Castillo - Free

Sturridge - Free

Saivet - £6.25m

Mascio - £380k

Kacar - £16m

Fleck - £7.5m

Pogrebnayak - £2.5m

Paid over the odds for Fleck but I think it's made up for by the Pogrebnayak bargain!

Might sell the Yak although despite his annoying inconsistencies he managed 26 goals last season. Vaughan is turning into a hell of a player, Rodwell too. Baxter looking exciting. Kacar is taking over Fellaini's defensive duties and he in turn is taking over Cahill's attacking role. 3rd after 3 games.

Pleased so far, lots of exciting new players but still got the whole backbone of the original squad.

Nearing the end of the first season, and things are going.... rather well :D

I picked up my first silverware of the game by (somehow) beating Arsenal 2-0 in the Carling Cup Final. God only knows how though - they absolutely battered me in the match, but I managed to grab goals - one from a corner (Lescott) and one on the break (Yak) to give me the win.

Cup competitions have been VERY kind to me tbh - I'm into the Semi Final of the FA Cup (vs Chelsea) and UEFA Cup (vs Man City) - could wind up a REALLY big season, especially since I'm currently in the top 4 in the league, and hopeful of CL football next season.

The Yak has been on absolute fire this season, notching 35 goals so far :eek:, and Moutinho has done a great job pulling the strings in midfield.

EDIT:

Sweet, two cracking results on the bounce - beat Chelsea on penalties in the FA Cup Semi (QPR beat Man City in the other semi :D ) and then got 3 points in the Goodison derby, with a last minute Fellaini header :thup:

Guest roberto922

Oh god, at least it's not two legs... So, Fiorentina UEFA Cup latter stages, Semi Final vs Chelsea and a battle for 4th, prepare for failure /o\

Archived