I'm having trouble to let my teams play the way I want. I found it especially difficult to get mentality, shape and team-instructions right. So I'm calling the community for help to get me on my way!

So let's start with what I want to achieve:
- attractive attacking football with a solid defense
- no hoof balls from the back to the front
- fast ball circulation (one touch if possible)
- keeping possession (but not for possession's sake)
- positive (forward) passes if possible
- goals from crosses & through passes with my lone forward as main goalscorer
- not too many long shots
- agressive pressing, winning the ball back quickly

What mentality, shape and team-instructions suit this style best? What instructions compliment my style of play?

I think the following 3-4-3 formation goes well with what I'm aiming for:

fwueiq.png

Goalkeeper: Not sure if I need a sweeper keeper or a regular goalkeeper, what's the difference really? Depends on how high the D-line will be I guess?
Central defenders: I want my central defender to bring the ball from the back to the midfield (that PPM should work wonders I guess?) But I'm uncertain if has to be a stopper or cover?
Wingbacks: I want them to deliver lots of crosses in the penalty box and act as a wide outlet in possession, being a passing option during the entire attacking phase. But also being solid in defense, marking wingers, eliminating crosses, ...
Central midfield: I'm assuming I need two conservative roles to balance out the tactic, with one being the playmaker who links everything together (hopefully) and can deliver some assists (probably more pre-assists) with great through passes and distributing the game and the other player should be a workhorse who recovers ball possession quickly and plays simple passes in function of the team
Inside forwards: They should roam freely and be a goalscoring threat as well as deliver lots of assists
Lone forward: He should be my main goalscorer

I hope I made it clear what I'm after and hope that someone could put me on my way! Did I choose the right roles? And what mentality, shape, TI's and PI's should I aim for?

I think there are some problems with your duties. With the duties that you've chosen you are clearly exposed on the flanks, but while on the right side you have a BWM-D that hopefully will stay deep and cover the runs from the WB-A on the other flank you are asking too much on your DLP, he will need great mental and physical attribute to provide balls to your flanks, connect with the F9 and track back to cover the runs of your WB-A. Other problem, you said that " I want them to deliver lots of crosses in the penalty box "... yes, ok, but to which players? Your F9 (that you want to be your main goalscorer) will come deep and he will not stay too much on the penalty box and so I do not see how he will receive those crosses. On the otherside your IFs-A will probably be your main goalscorers (looking at your formation), as they Will occupy the space left from the F9, with the F9 and the WBs providing balls to them.  

Hello Mr BadAss,

There are a few plot holes here we should address. Let's start with what you want to achieve:

Quick passes/one touch and possession doesn't mix well, unless you have a team full of superior demigods. It might be ambitious to try to put this to life.
Taking this train of thought further we can see that forward passes harmonizes with quick passes, but not with possession. You cannot keep ball by passing it forward.
Furthermore (I love that word, use when I can), your number one aim is to play attacking football. Again, this could cause issues. Then again, attacking football is very much in the eyes of the beholder.
To add salt to the wound, I wouldn't necessarily use a duo in midfield if I am to try to keep the ball. Your experience may differ. 

Let's look at the roles:

You say you want your striker to be the supplier of goals, whilst assists should come from the wingbacks. I like the concept, but should we use a F9 in this scenario? And, when we want the striker to be the goal outlet, should we use two inside forwards on attacking duty? I am of the belief that you can use a Mandzukic type of striker as a F9, don't get me wrong, but the F9 will more often than not drop deep to involve the IF's and the CM's and not be there when the cross arrives.

You have chosen a midfield duo where both roles have 'hold position' PI. I get what you are trying to do, but I think your whole tactic relies too much on crosses from wide. You should add some midfield bombing forward. Maybe even try one role as Segundo Volante on attack, to get some runs from the deep.

If you play a few matches with this setup I wouldn't be surprised if both of your IF's will have more goals than the striker, and you'll be countered into kingdom come by better teams since both flanks are on attacking duty.

IMO, in conclusion, you should scrap the possession idea and go with an attacking mentality. Study the roles you have selected and see how the link up with each other. I hope you succeed.

Thx for the responses @Ji-Sung Park & @A.Pierfrancesco

My WB-A's will be changed to CWB-S's, I hope they bring more defensive security to the flanks and offer more support for the midfield duo.

I think I'm going for the possession style of football but let my DLP-S be my accelerator by giving him the PI to play more direct passes.

Still not sure about the lone striker, gonna leave him as a F9 for now and see how it goes. Not sure if there's a different role who would suite better in this style and formation..

Team-shape: I want to create space so structured or highly structured? 
Mentality: Attacking is too much I think, so gonna settle for control.
Team-instructions: Play out of defense (no-brainer), retain possession, close down much more and maybe roam from posisition?
Player-instructions: SK-D: Short passes, less risky passes, play to central defenders / DLP-S: more direct passes / IF's and F9: roam from position

Why would you set up your ST as False 9 if you want him to be the main goalscorer? And both IFs on Attack? It doesn't make sense at all. How do you envision your tactic to play out to make the ST top scorer?

I'm not saying he won't score but the role is designed to balance between scoring and supplying/creating chances. It will drop deep, creating space for your IFs. Nothing bad about that. But it won't lead your ST as top scorer.

I would use a different role - CF-S, CF-A, DLF-A - and make one of the IFs a supplier. I would make one of the CMs a runner into the box, the other one a DLP-S. Attacking Wingback on the same side as the supplying IF or whatever else role you change it to. Balance it out with Supporting Wingback on the other side where the attacking IF remains. 

22 minutes ago, yonko said:

Why would you set up your ST as False 9 if you want him to be the main goalscorer? And both IFs on Attack? It doesn't make sense at all. How do you envision your tactic to play out to make the ST top scorer?

I'm not saying he won't score but the role is designed to balance between scoring and supplying/creating chances. It will drop deep, creating space for your IFs. Nothing bad about that. But it won't lead your ST as top scorer.

I would use a different role - CF-S, CF-A, DLF-A - and make one of the IFs a supplier. I would make one of the CMs a runner into the box, the other one a DLP-S. Attacking Wingback on the same side as the supplying IF or whatever else role you change it to. Balance it out with Supporting Wingback on the other side where the attacking IF remains. 

I think I chose the F9 to balance out my formation and I just hope he scores a lot. But it doesn't mean he has to be the only goalscorer. Probably goals would be equally divided between my front 3. With already 3 people in the box I don't think I need another runner from midfield to do so. I think I would be to vulnerable in defense as my midfield duo isn't defensive enough!

EDIT: I think you guys focus too much on the F9 and the IF's, I think that will work just fine..I can live with the fact that my F9 won't be topscorer.

12 minutes ago, BadAss88 said:

wrWith already 3 people in the box I don't think I need another runner from midfield to do so.

I agree, and I think Arsenal (even though they’re bang in form right now) are a good example of how vulernable you can be defensively when one of your midfielders in a 3421/343 go and join attacks. Too often Ramsey will go forward in support of the attackers, leaving Xhaka (who isn’t the strongest defensively) all by himself in the centre. In fairness you probably could get away with it if you had a top DM, but i’d prefer to have two static roles like you’ve done so.

Edit: However, I do agree with Yonko re the balance of your side. I think you’re asking for trouble with two IF-a, and could benefit from one dropping a bit deeper, allowing the WB to overlap him. 

2 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

I think I chose the F9 to balance out my formation and I just hope he scores a lot. But it doesn't mean he has to be the only goalscorer. Probably goals would be equally divided between my front 3. With already 3 people in the box I don't think I need another runner from midfield to do so. I think I would be to vulnerable in defense as my midfield duo isn't defensive enough!

EDIT: I think you guys focus too much on the F9 and the IF's, I think that will work just fine..I can live with the fact that my F9 won't be topscorer.

We focus on the F9 because it is not the ultimate role for what you said you wanted. And of course it can work with the IFs. I only said you needed another runner if you change the roles as I suggested. If you want to keep things as is, that's fine. It would be interesting to see how it goes for you.

This is my interpretation of the Wolves tactic in the article.  It plays lovely football...

Play a Left footed player - Saiss - in the DLP-su slot and a Righty - Neves - in the DLP-de slot.

Ask the keeper to distribute to the CD-co - Coady who will play it out accordingly.

www.PNG

ww.PNG

Archived