Hi, I’m having some issue in my 433 setup.

Still having also the same doubts so I’ve got to understand 2 or 3 things, keep in mind that I want necessarily use 2 inside forwards on the flanks.

And now, straight to the questions:

- Does this formation suits an attacking mentality ?

- Can IF be both on attack?

- Better use FB or WB behind IF ?

In other words, there’s necessarily a relationship between a formation and a mentality? (For example, 433 suits control and not attacking...)

Tnx in advance for your help!

It’s really hard to say what will and won’t work in a 4-3-3 without seeing your overall set-up. And even that said, a lot will depend on the overall attributes of your players too. 

One observation I will make is that of all the struggling 4-3-3’s posted on this forum, nearly all of them have narrow wide players (usually Inside Forwards) and a support duty striker (usually a F9). 

I think very generally a 4-3-3 is good for controlling possession as opposed to a 4-2-3-1 which is good as a high press strategy and a 4-1-4-1 which works well as a counter attacking strategy. However, any control tactic, regardless of formation requires width and penetration. That’s why i’m amazed at the lack of love for wingers and attack duty strikers on this forum in 4-3-3 systems!

7 hours ago, AFCBeer said:

That’s why i’m amazed at the lack of love for wingers and attack duty strikers on this forum in 4-3-3 systems!

...sometimes you get sacked and when you arrive in a new club You’ve to adapt with what you got 😂

Moreover, many clubs play a fantastic football with that formation (Napoli), personally I love wingers but I want to try something different and I would like to know if I’m wasting my time trying something that will never work. 

Not at all, I’ve played with two IF and a lone striker on support duty for the last few FM’s with success.

the question is more about how you want to play? Also what roles do you have around those players, especially in the midfield? What team instructions are you using?

21 hours ago, Daniele77 said:

Still having also the same doubts so I’ve got to understand 2 or 3 things, keep in mind that I want necessarily use 2 inside forwards on the flanks.

In other words, there’s necessarily a relationship between a formation and a mentality? (For example, 433 suits control and not attacking...)

Every formation can be played with any mentality. There are no restrictions about that.

Yes, both IFs can be on attack but it depends on the rest of the roles, team mentality and team shape.

Whether FBs or WBs behind IFs it depends on what you want to achieve and the type of players you have. And again, it depends on the rest of your roles.

Do not make the mistake to look at each piece in isolation. Every role, instruction, etc. works in combination with the rest or with each other. Everything is interlinked and interconnected.

For example. Player duty is individual mentality within the team mentality based on the shape chosen. Attacking duty IF within Counter mentality on Very Fluid Shape plays differently than Attacking duty within Control mentality on Very Structured shape. Keep in mind, mentality means risk factor.

Think about the style you want your team to play and how each player will contribute to that. Set it up and observe if the players are doing what you want. Then make small adjustments, one at a time and observe again. Keep it simple and do not think restrictions. Think how it will all connect and interact.

Good luck.

14 hours ago, yonko said:

Every formation can be played with any mentality. There are no restrictions about that.

Wow, finally, this is one of the worst doubt I've got every time I set up a formation...There are roles that suits better in some mentalities than others?

1 hour ago, Daniele77 said:

Wow, finally, this is one of the worst doubt I've got every time I set up a formation...There are roles that suits better in some mentalities than others?

No. Any role can be played in any set up, in any league in any country. How that role works and interacts in your set up is how you've set up the rest of the roles etc. There are no restrictions with mentality and formations or with roles.

On 11/22/2017 at 08:10, Daniele77 said:

Yes, yes and depends.

basically the 433 works, whether you want to use 2 IFs on attack or defence, what matters most is how you feed them chances to get to the balls, so the overall setup is important. That formation can work on any mentality and shape. All it does is create different styles. You need to try these out with the roles and duties and with the players you have at your disposal. 

The same system can be brilliant for my players and an absolute pile of @#$% for yours. So give it a go on different setups. One thing I always get people to do, is to play the same system on defensive structured, defensive fluid then attacking structured and and attacking fluid. Play defensive in one game and attacking in another and try and spot the essential differences.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Still workin' on it!

Found some kind of balance with this, that make me won lots of matches at home, but I'm particularly vulnerable on my left side and I get points away very rarely.

No TI (just drill crosses because my forwards aren't so strong in heading...) and normal/balanced mentality to reduce risks till I'll be more confident.

I'm in pre-season now during my second season at Trabzonspor, and the tactic creator let disappear the "minor issue" if I select an Attacking mentality to my left wingback...Could this reduce the gap between my IF and my WB and be good solution? Any help would be really appreciated. :)

Schermata 2017-11-30 alle 23.20.27.png

Archived