Home and Away Form

I've began my annual Arsenal save, using a tactic that produced fantastic results in FM17, suits both the players already in my squad and the additions I recruited. However in FM18, i can't seem to buy a win away from home. I am smashing teams each and every home game, yet constantly and consistently lose away from home. Most recently beat City 4-0 at home, followed by losing 4-1 at Huddersfield. Makes zero sense.

Any help as to how to improve my away form is very welcome!

How do you play matches?  Do you watch them in one of the highlights modes?  Instant result?  Holiday?

If you watch them, what have you noticed?  How are you conceding?  What are your attackers doing differently?

Some info about your tactical system might also help.

Watch games in key highlights. 

No real pattern to the types of goals I am conceding, varied between crosses into the box and defense spiting balls both on the ground & over the top. My defensive line is not high but normal. 

Extremely frustrating how a difference in ground can have such an impact on my results in this save.

I know such conclusions always seem like a bitter stretch from a sore loser, but I'd have to agree with the OP: there seems to be a tangible imbalance this year. I have the exact same problem. Maybe someone takes note...

Not sure that the issue is the game. and there has been very little to go by from the original post. Difficult to say what the issues might be without seeing the tactical set up.

I had the same issue early on in my current save. Realised that I was just trying to be too clever away from home. Took it back to basics. Started a solid formation with no instructions from scratch and slowly implemented changes as I saw fit from the games I had been watching. I'm not beating everyone (I'm Cardiff in the championship I don't expect to) but I've stopped conceding so much and have a very respectable away record now and with my good home form continuing I'm pushing for promotion.

I am coming from the opposite angle of playing as  a 'weaker' team in NUFC.  I am great away from home where teams come at us and leave space for my tactic to hit them on the counter and use our pace but at home, when teams tend not to come at us as much, we struggle a little.  I am looking at tweaking but I cannot see an imbalance between the two the is predetermined, just down to how your team sets up

1 hour ago, toby14 said:

Watch games in key highlights. 

No real pattern to the types of goals I am conceding, varied between crosses into the box and defense spiting balls both on the ground & over the top. My defensive line is not high but normal. 

Extremely frustrating how a difference in ground can have such an impact on my results in this save.

1 hour ago, Zodiak said:

I know such conclusions always seem like a bitter stretch from a sore loser, but I'd have to agree with the OP: there seems to be a tangible imbalance this year. I have the exact same problem. Maybe someone takes note...

OK, so what have you been doing about it?  What have you tried changing when you play away from home?  What do you change during a match when you start to see the opposition getting the upper hand?

Nothing, that was kind of the whole point. We are just somewhat surprised that the same system that allows one to beat the likes of Man City comfortably at home suddenly becomes utterly unusable away against the likes of Huddersfield right the next match.

Now, the beauty and complexity of football, especially in terms of its FM implementation, is a blessing and a curse in that you can always argue for and against anything that can be brought up here or anywhere else. Because anything can happen in football, right? Whatever happens in FM is, by definition, realistic and not a bug, because that same thing may very well happen IRL. And there's always going to be someone who says it's your fault and your defeat. And, in a way, they'll be right, because who can prove them wrong? A team can of course beat a top side at home and go down to a bottom side away, having used exactly the same system. And of course any team *must* adapt in some way, at least a little, to every single opponent. You are asking us whether we did something about it, which defeats the whole purpose of this thread, because if we change something every match, there won't ever be a way of gauging the match engine in terms of possible imbalances. Because it will become even more random than it already is. So what we're saying is that we have a constant: a working system that is capable of beating top sides at home. Unchanged, though, it nets us away defeats against bottom opposition. And I can only speak for myself in that it didn't happen once or twice. There seems to be a pattern. 

Is it realistic? Might very well be. But do you honestly think a top side full of seasoned pros suddenly becomes scared of - what? - Huddersfield or Brighton fans? To add more, at least in the EPL, are there even any fans left? You know, the ones that can actually intimidate the visiting teams? From what I can see, real fans have long been replaced by overseas tourists. So why then is there any emphasis on home/away at all? But I digress.

Nothing, that was kind of the whole point. We are just somewhat surprised that the same system that allows one to beat the likes of Man City comfortably at home suddenly becomes utterly unusable away against the likes of Huddersfield right the next match.

This is easily answered really. Man City will attack you. So what this means is they create, or for a better word, give up space for you to attack. This makes it easy for you to hurt them and cause them issues. Then the week after against Huddersfield they sit back and then creating space falls onto you and the system you use. And if it's poor at doing that, then that's why you struggle and in your words, it seems unusable.

You actually don't have to change things often. However if you feel you have to change things every game then the base tactic you are using isn't good to begin with. It all comes back to the tactic you use and how it functions and we come back to the first point I made at the top.

28 minutes ago, Zodiak said:

Precisely. It's not a one off or even a strange dip in away form, its been a pattern for months and months that I am incredible at home and pathetic away. The fact i don't seem to be the only one having this issue only heightens my option that there is something wrong with the game. 

40 minutes ago, Cleon said:

This is easily answered really. Man City will attack you. So what this means is they create, or for a better word, give up space for you to attack. This makes it easy for you to hurt them and cause them issues. Then the week after against Huddersfield they sit back and then creating space falls onto you and the system you use. And if it's poor at doing that, then that's why you struggle and in your words, it seems unusable.

You actually don't have to change things often. However if you feel you have to change things every game then the base tactic you are using isn't good to begin with. It all comes back to the tactic you use and how it functions and we come back to the first point I made at the top.

Except you don't only play weaker teams away from home. Why then is it so much easier to break teams down who sit deep while playing at home, but away the results just don't match? the same is true for the bigger clubs. My wins against them were at home, and away I mostly lost those matches. There seems to be a huge gap in difficulty for no other reason than to make things difficult for you. 

3 minutes ago, Sticx said:

Except you don't only play weaker teams away from home. Why then is it so much easier to break teams down who sit deep while playing at home, but away the results just don't match? the same is true for the bigger clubs. My wins against them were at home, and away I mostly lost those matches. There seems to be a huge gap in difficulty for no other reason than to make things difficult for you. 

I was replying to the person who mentioned he can beat Man City easy at home then his tactic becomes unusable against Huddersfield. I was replying to the specific teams he mentioned.

It's not easier, it depends on how your tactic functions. Plenty of people can't break sides down at all who sit deep even when the user is the home side. You only have to look at all the topics around this forum in the past 3 years to know that 90% of them all struggle to break sides down.

It all depends on how you set up though and what you use, this tells you a lot about what games you should/shouldn't struggle in. Whether you are home or away the ME is the exact same. There isn't different engine for home and away games.

The gap in difficulty varies for the user based on system and settings they use and how much they understand when to make changes and when not to. The only difficulty is how we the user makes things easier or harder for ourselves. 

Of course its harder to win away from home. Stats will back this up for the majority of clubs. 2 team who have won 6 from 6 at home in the prem this season (Utd and Arsenal) have both struggled on the road (3 wins in 12 between them). Man Utd have 8 points away from home after 6 games which is the 6th best away record in the league. But the teams with 8 points after 6 games at home (Stoke or Watford) are 13th in the home points table. Over half the premier league have 1 or less wins away from home this season after 6 games, 3 of them have no wins at all!

I'm not saying it is or isn't a bug I'm just showing that the majority of teams struggle with away form but as @Cleon says 'The gap in difficulty varies for the user based on system and settings they use and how much they understand when to make changes and when not to. The only difficulty is how we the user makes things easier or harder for ourselves.'

I can think of at least one other topic like this one over the past few days. And yes, I do know the theory that weaker teams sit back and draw you in and hit you on the counter, but definitely not with such consistency and efficiency. Well, like I said, all this stuff is just talking points anyway. There's always an argument to be made that all is well and it's our fault. But if I were a dev, I'd at least double check the weight away games are given. There must be ab algorithm that determines the final result, and home vs away must be weighted somehow, am I wrong? Just dial it down a bit. For both teams. 

Archived