[Discussion] Players sharing responsibilities

paganizer

This is a suggestion for more tactical control, where you can tell a group of players to share responsibilities, rather than having specific instructions for specific players. This would be "with the ball" instructions.

I'll try to explain by using a couple examples.

Current tactics: Let's take a central midfield consisting of 2 players. You will pick one as a "holding" midfielder and the other to do forward runs. 

New (sharing responsibilities): You would group your central midfielders and inform that if one is doing a forward run, the other has to hold position. On the tactics screen you could simply have a box around the 2 midfielders (instructions: 1 hold position, 1 forward runs).

Result: A more dynamic and realistic partnership, where your players share responsibilities. If you have 2 similar players in those positions, it would make more sense to have them share the burden (forward runs)

Current tactics: If you play with 2 wing backs and would like them both to be able to attack, you have to play with 2 attacking wingbacks. That is not always a good solution, as it will leave both flanks wide open, so you often end up making one attacking and the other more catious (support/defend).

New (sharing responsibilities): If you could group them and give them the group instruction "one stays back", both could be attacking in shifts, but one will always stay back if the other is high upfield.

Result: Both your wingbacks can attack, but while one is high upfield the other will stay back because of the group instruction.

I don't know, if it makes sense, but I'm interested in hearing, what you guys think about it.

Completely agree especially about fullbacks. Even a very attacking FB should have the intelligence to understand when being more cautious (i.e. when the other FB is running with the ball towards byline). This 'intelligence' might be related to Anticipation, Decision and Positioning attributes.

A similar suggestion could be made for midfielders covering attacking fullbacks. At the moment even if a defensive/central midfielder on defend/support duty is in decent position to cover the area left by an attacking FB, they tend to stay more central and struggle to close down wide attackers (I feel wide CB's in a three man defence are much better at this in FM17). So an instruction 'cover right/left back' available for DMCR/L and CMR/L (again related to Anticipation, Decision and Positioning attributes) could be very useful.

• 1 year later...

Archived