[FM17] We didn't underestimate them, they were just a lot better than we thought.

Cougar2010

38 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Great to win another trophy!

Yeah, can't complain even if it does feel a bit quick :)

It kinda goes against most of my saves, I normally do fairly well but end up short of the trophies, semi finals of the cups, 2nd/3rd in league etc so it does make a nice change.

1 minute ago, BoxToBox said:

Cracking end to the season.

It was, straight into the semis of the playoffs made a difference I think.  Its just one performance away from the final and any of these teams are capable of beating another on any given day.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

2018/19 Season Summary

Hyundai A-League

It was close for much of the season with all teams still in with a chance of the playoffs with three matches to go. Despite that the positions didn't really change that much with the teams towards the top staying towards the top and those outside of the playoffs staying there. Sydney claimed their 3rd Regular season title by two points from ourselves with Melbourne City 3rd.

OeAoh0A.png

For once the top two in the regular season didn't make the final as Melbourne Victory dumped out Sydney in the semis but we beat them on penalties to seal our first Grand Final win and give MV the unwanted record of losing three finals in a row.

uhAkfXZ.png

FFA Cup

We had already beaten MV earlier in the season as we claimed our first FFA Cup.

w8UiTHb.png

Awards

Unsurprisingly with two trophies under our belt we were also amongst the awards.

G1IQUrB.png

J9jkxFd.png

EMpZfoF.png

Jo3enQX.png

vj0D52Z.png

Club Review

Hyundai A-League – Runners-up

Hyundai A-League Finals Series - Winners

FFA Cup - Winners

The board are happy, the fans are delighted and I'm shocked if I'm honest. I thought we might have a chance in the Cup and the aim was to make the playoffs but everything just seemed to fall into place for us when we needed it. We had very few injury problems this year which I think contributed while we had good squad players led by some big performers who turned up when we needed them the most.

Money wise we are not doing great, especially considering we won two trophies & finished 2nd in the league. Overall we made a profit of £516k but that included around £750k from selling Bonevacia. That would have left us at a loss of approx £250k which is an improvement on the previous year where we lost £850k prior to transfers. Even so it doesn't look good long term if we can't be profitable when achieving success.

Squad Review

AsUd6dr.png5PhS1W5.png

Goalkeepers

Italiano was expected to come under pressure this year from new signing Rodic but after a couple of injuries early in the season he never got back in until I gave him a couple of token appearances towards the end of the season. Rodic ended up runner up in GK of the Year but looking at his stats he really was about the same level that Italiano produced last season. Rodic is here next year while Italiano's contract is running out but unless I can find better he could well stay with us as he is fairly cheap.

Silvio Rodic (31yo Croatian GK) - 32 apps, 35 conceded, 8 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.86

Lewis Italiano (28yo Australian GK) – 2 apps, 2 conceded, 0 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.85

Fullbacks

I did plan on using Rossi more on the left but the way it worked out saw him used more in the middle. This again left Doyle as our main DL and he improved from last season aside from not turning up in some of the bigger matches. On the right I expected new signing Brindell-South to challenge Fenton but in the end Fenton became my preferred option. In truth I expected a bit more from Brindell-South but he seemed to get pushed around a bit too easily by the opposition.

Tom Doyle (26yo New Zealand DL/DC) – 23 (1) apps, 0 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 6.93

Louis Fenton (26yo New Zealand DR/MRC) – 22 (5) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.96

Joshua Brindell-South (26yo Australian DRL) – 14 (8) apps, 0 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.83

Central Defence

Although I rotated in the middle it was Williams, Boxall & Rossi that started most matches. Rossi was the pick of them but they all had good seasons. This left Fox surplus to requirements and will be released while Baravilala got a couple of token appearances late in the season. Not convinced he is usable in a two man defence yet but I'm happy to use him in a wingbacks system where there are two other experienced DCs around him.

Marco Rossi (31yo Italian DLC) – 32 apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 7.10

Michael Boxall (30yo New Zealand DC/DR) – 29 apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 7.00

Rhys Williams (30yo Australian DC, MC/DM) – 26 (1) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 7.01

Dylan Fox (25yo Australian DC) – 1 (1) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.65

Koloni Baravilala (18yo New Zealand DC) – 2 apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.80

Midfield

Kantarovski improved from last season to the extent that I could use Williams regularly in defence. I had a slight problem in front of him as we seemed to lack a natural DLP. I had planned on using Howieson but he was/is better suited to a more advanced role and doesn't help out enough in defence. This left Ridenton as probably the most natural and he got a decent amount of gametime as I rotated a lot. McGlinchey was more of a fixture in the attacking MC role which left Rufer struggling a little for matches at times.

Ben Kantarovski (27yo Australian DM/DC, MC) – 26 (2) apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 7.00

Michael McGlinchey (32yo New Zealand AMC/AMRL) – 26 (4) apps, 9 goals, 6 assists, Ave Rating: 7.20

Cameron Howieson (24yo New Zealand AMC/AML, ST) – 20 (5) apps, 1 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.94

Matthew Ridenton (23yo New Zealand MC/DM) – 13 (18) apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.87

Alex Rufer (22yo New Zealand MC/MR, ST) – 11 (11) apps, 2 goals, 4 assists, Ave Rating: 6.98

Wingers

On the left Parkhouse continued to impress which left McGarry kicking his heels before getting released. The right saw the pacy Krishna share duties with the unpredictable Epifano. Krishna was playing well early in the season but seemed to go off the boil after Xmas while Epifano was hit & miss all year.

Adam Parkhouse (27yo Australian ML) – 22 (3) apps, 5 goals, 7 assists, Ave Rating: 7.10

James McGarry (21yo New Zealand MLC) – 0 apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: -

Roy Krishna (31yo Fijian AMRL, ST) – 16 (5) apps, 6 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.99

Nick Epifano (24yo Australian AMRL/AMC) – 16 (7) apps, 3 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.85

Forwards

New signing Pedrozo proved to be a fantastic signing with a real eye for goal and there was better news as Rogerson put his injury problems of last season behind him. This left Simon surplus to requirements and he'll be released especially after the impressive start 17yo IJzerman made to his career.

Fabricio Pedrozo (26yo Argentinian ST/AML) – 26 apps, 15 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 7.21

Logan Rogerson (20yo New Zealand ST/AMRL) – 13 (16) apps, 7 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 6.90

Matt Simon (33yo Australian ST) – 0 (3) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.70

Sven IJzerman (17yo New Zealand ST) – 2 (1) apps, 4 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 7.77

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

2019/20 Pre-Season

Squad/Scouting News

Not expecting a massive transfer window with 22/23 squad places already pencilled in and after winning two trophies last season I don't see the point of change for change sake.

After looking at my options I've decided to keep Italiano in goal while I've promoted Simon Granger (MC) & Tom Stroud (MR) from the youth team. They are both U21, have good potential and look capable of contributing in a backup role. Krishna has also picked up New Zealand nationality meaning I have four U21 players & three foreigners in the first team squad. Money wise we have a little space in the wage budget/wage cap but we can't go mad and make a big money signing.

The gap in the squad is mainly for a DC although we could cope with a DL instead. Aside from that the only way I could sign others is to make room by either selling players or perhaps loaning out one of the four U21s that are currently pencilled in.

In terms of scouting I have 694 realistic targets on my shortlist who could do a job for us of varying degrees. I've mostly been focused this season on Australian & NZ players but we do have room for a foreigner. Some of the interesting finds that I'm considering are:

A 26yo Thai midfielder with 75 caps for Thailand but I'm not convinced he is much of an upgrade on what we have.

A 27yo Brazilian striker playing in Thailand but signing him would reduce playing time for Rogerson & IJzerman.

A 24yo NZ international DM but I would have to sell Kantarovski to make room.

A 22yo NZ international MC but he is a bit of a “jack of all trades, master of none”. He would probably replace Ridenton but wants three times the wages for only a marginal improvement in skill.

A 28yo NZ international GK who is unhappy at losing his first team place at Portland (MLS), unfortunately not unhappy enough to consider returning to NZ just yet.

Players Out

Seven youth players left the club at the end of their contracts while I released three from the first team:

Matt Simon (33yo Australian ST) – Released at end of contract

Time at Wellington: 2 years, Apps: 30, Goals: 6, Assists: 2

Signed a couple of years ago but never really performed and lost his place to Rogerson & IJzerman last season.

Dylan Fox (25yo Australian DC) – Released at end of contract

Time at Wellington: 4 years, Apps: 29, Goals: 0, Assists: 1

Did a decent job as a squad player but as we've improved he has became surplus to requirements.

James McGarry (21yo New Zealand ML/MC) – Released at end of contract

Time at Wellington: 4 years, Apps: 19, Goals: 0, Assists: 0

I gave him a little chance but he never clicked with me and now he is over 21yo he lost his squad place.

Early in the window I get a loan offer for IJzerman from a NZ Premiership club. After consideration I decide its a sensible move, it would get him regular first team football and allow me to sign a good quality striker to compete with Pedrozo for the starting place.

Sven IJzerman (17yo New Zealand ST) – Loaned to Waitakere Utd (NZ Premiership) for the season

With the window open I thought there might be more interest in my players but there was only a couple being watched. I had to promise DL, Tom Doyle I would accept any bids from Newcastle Jets as he wanted to play continental football while Melbourne Victory are interested in winger, Nick Epifano. In the end though no offers arrive.

Players In

I'm mainly looking for a defender but with IJzerman leaving on loan I also need a striker. With one foreigner slot & one Asian slot available I thought he would be easy to replace but it turns out he wasn't.

My shortlist of possible replacement strikers was far shorter than I had expected. My main target was a 23yo Scottish ST playing for Swansea U23s who was available on a bosman. A 4* player he looked like good competition for Pedrozo but as scouting reached 100% I had to page down to see all of his weaknesses. Moving on I also considered a 19yo Malian ST playing in Italy, a 25yo Argentinian ST playing in Malaysia & the 27yo Brazilian ST mentioned above. None were as good as I had first hoped but I decided the Brazilian was the best of the bunch, especially as he had just been released:

Dennis (27yo Brazilian ST/AMC) – Unattached

He bounced around many Brazilian clubs when he was younger making sporadic appearances before moving to Thailand. Three years ago he settled at PTT (Thailand) where he scored 49 goals in 88 appearances for them. Capable of playing either in a deeper or advanced role I doubt he'll dislodge Pedrozo as the starter but gives us a capable alternative along with Rogerson.

hJQFPQ6.png

Back to looking for DCs and although I'm restricted to Australian/NZ/Asian players I have a decent amount of success with 5/6 possible targets around the right age & skill level. I seriously consider one of NZ's bright young talents who was away with IJzerman at the U20 World Cup but compensation proves to be more than I want to pay so I settle for an Australian after a two week trial:

Aaron Calver (23yo Australian DC/DR) – Unattached

After coming through a local academy he signed with their senior team – Sydney FC. He made a few appearances every year since joining them totalling 47 in seven seasons but was recently released, possibly due to squad rules. He has looked reasonably solid the last couple of years, is a decent age, should improve and be able to challenge Boxall/Williams/Rossi for the starting roles over the next couple of seasons. Basically he is just a good squad player on cheap wages.

3prrlCc.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

2019/20 Season Preview

Australian A-League

Our odds have been slashed but somehow we are still 9th on the media prediction despite being the defending champions.

N0RFoXK.png

Board Expectations

The board have upped the anti a little:

Australian A-League – Qualify for the Playoffs

Australian FFA Cup – Quarter Finals

Wellington Phoenix FC Squad

Not a massive change from last season, three fringe players left, IJzerman went out on loan, two players joined on frees & two youth players have been promoted to the main squad. I'm pretty much happy with the squad this season, it could be better but you have to give youth players a chance, especially with the squad rules as well as staying inside the wage cap. Three/four players are in decline and will need to be replaced over the next couple of years but we also have younger players who are in line to replace them.

Goalkeepers

No change from last year but I will try to give Italiano more game time to keep him match fit.

Silvio Rodic (32yo Croatian GK) (Foreign)

Lewis Italiano (28yo Australian GK)

Fullbacks

Again, no change. Doyle on the left, Fenton on the right, Brindell-South covering both sides while Rossi will also spend time on the left.

Marco Rossi (31yo Italian DLC) (Foreign)

Tom Doyle (27yo New Zealand DL/DC) – 23 Caps

Louis Fenton (26yo New Zealand DR/MRC) – 10 Caps

Joshua Brindell-South (26yo Australian DRL)

Central Defence

Rossi, Williams & Boxall will again share the bulk of the workload but all are the wrong side of 30yo so I'm hoping new signing, Calver will push them while Baravilala will continue his development.

Rhys Williams (31yo Australian DC, MC/DM) – 15 Caps

Michael Boxall (30yo New Zealand DC/DR) – 16 Caps

Aaron Calver (23yo Australian DC/DR)

Koloni Baravilala (18yo New Zealand DC)

Central Midfield

Just a small change as I've promoted 17yo Simon Granger to the main squad. Kantarovski & Williams are the main DMs while Ridenton, Rufer, Howieson & McGlinchey will rotate in front of them.

Ben Kantarovski (27yo Australian DM/DC, MC)

Cameron Howieson (24yo New Zealand AMC/MC, ML, ST) – 15 Caps, 1 Goal

Michael McGlinchey (32yo New Zealand AMC/AMRL) – 56 Caps, 5 Goals

Matthew Ridenton (23yo New Zealand MC/DM) – 4 Caps

Alex Rufer (23yo New Zealand MC/MR, AMC, ST) – 8 Caps, 1 Goal

Simon Granger (17yo New Zealand MC/AMC)

Wingers

Parkhouse continued to impress on the left last season but Krishna has started to show decline on the right. Epifano can play on either wing and will push them for the starting slots while promising 17yo Tom Stroud will be given some game time on the right.

Roy Krishna (31yo Fijian AMR, ST) – 45 Caps, 26 Goals

Nick Epifano (25yo Australian AMRL/AMC)

Adam Parkhouse (27yo Australian ML)

Tom Stroud (17yo New Zealand MR)

Strikers

Pedrozo will continue to be the main choice while new signing, Dennis along with Rogerson should provide a solid partner/alternative depending on the formation.

Fabricio Pedrozo (26yo Argentinian ST/AML) (Foreign)

Dennis (27yo Brazilian ST/AMC) (Foreign)

Logan Rogerson (21yo New Zealand ST/AMRL) – 5 Caps

Sven IJzerman (18yo New Zealand ST) – Out on Loan

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

August/September 2019

FFA Cup (First Round)

We seem to have a habit of drawing A-League sides and we get another in the first round – away to Western Sydney Wanderers. WSW have already played a couple of friendlies so their squad is a little fitter while we are missing Kantarovski who is suspended. New signings Calver & Dennis both start as we look rusty in the early stages. Wanderers get their act together first as they score towards the end of the first half as our defence stands ball watching at a freekick. I give them a kick at HT but it makes no difference as we struggle to create anything and crash out in the first round. I'm not happy and the team know it but I'm also annoyed that we didn't have any friendlies beforehand to build fitness.

jE9Yg72.png

***Transfer News***

My scouts have been watching a really talented 18yo Australian/Brazilian DC who would be available for next to nothing. Our hand is forced when another A-League side makes an offer and we join the race to sign him. Unfortunately he chooses to join Perth Glory.

fCuSgsC.png

***Youth Intake***

Probably the worst so far. The coaches pick out 16yo striker Adam Davies but when they describe him as one of the better players of the group you know its poor.

0NoWnLB.png

9WoPp1x.png

Friendlies

We still looked rusty against Eastern Suburbs but once the cobwebs got shaken off the team looked dangerous as we racked up goals against other NZ clubs. Our defence did look a little shaky from time to time and I'll need to work on keeping it tight so we minimise the easy goals we give up. In terms of the new players Calver looked comfortable in defence while Dennis certainly isn't up to Pedrozo standards but seemed to improve with games. 17yo Granger fitted right into the midfield highlighted by a hattrick of assists against Hamilton but Baravilala still looks raw and seems to lack mentally.

p5wlZSC.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

October 2019

***League News***

The media might not think we have a chance but they recognise Pedrozo's class.

mDdLR0W.png

***International News***

A little unexpected but IJzerman got his first call up to the NZ squad and made his debut as a second half sub against the Solomon Islands.

S7dBJuA.png

First match of the season and as usual we lose players to International duty. Doyle, Howieson, Ridenton, Krishna & Stroud are away while Dennis is still recovering from a knock in the friendlies. Its an even match with both sides having a few sights of goal but we create the better chances. Epifano pulled the ball back for Pedrozo to calmly open his account early in the game while Rogerson came off the bench in the second half but shanked his effort wide when he got between defenders. It was a bit backs to the wall in the last 10 minutes but we held on to start the season with a win.

Next up we travel to Melbourne and as usual the big pitch seems to mean few shots for either side. MC keep possession but we look the more likely as they create nothing. We rack up several half chances taking the lead in the second half when Rogerson flicks on a cross for Pedrozo to volley in. Its a nervy finish but Rogerson again pops up finding space in the channel, this time squaring for sub, Dennis to slot in his first for the club.

We end the month at home to a defensive Adelaide. They have just shots in the whole match as we control most of the game. The best chances fall to Krishna as his early turn & shot is tipped over the bar while a missed header in the second half sees him clean through before firing past the post. Pedrozo also saw a weak shot on his wrong foot saved but did pull a fingertip save out of their GK from a direct freekick. In the end no-one else could find the net which left us with a missed chance to make it three wins in a row. In hindsight maybe I could have gone for a slightly more attacking line up but I didn't.

7Er8CWA.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

November 2019

nQNvbj3.png

We got off to a great start against the Jets as Pedrozo rose in front of their GK to flick in Rogerson's wide freekick. With both defences in control it was a tough match and I was glad of the early goal. As the Jets pushed for an equaliser we broke down the right and McGlinchey squared the ball for Pedrozo to add his second from the edge of the box to seal another win.

The Perth Glory match was billed as a battle of the hot shots with Pedrozo & Taggart leading the scoring charts but like the last game the defences were in control. With Perth mostly limited to distance it was us probing to create a few half chances. It didn't look like a goal was going to come under Pedrozo drifted wide in the second half, Krishna hit the gap and found space at the edge of the box to fire in what proved to be the winner.

We are missing four to International call ups against MV (Rufer, Howieson, Krishna & Stroud) which leaves us a little thin in midfield but means Granger gets to be on the bench. A poor start saw us behind when we were caught ball watching after half clearing a corner. It went down as a mistake by Parkhouse but he soon made up for it at the other end when one of our corners was flicked away. He recovered it before finding Pedrozo who headed in an equaliser. The game turned on 20 minutes when McGlinchey went off injured, his replacement should have been 17yo Granger but I opted for the more experienced Rogerson out wide as Epifano moved infield. Rogerson had been a little concerned about his lack of goals recently but when Pedrozo played him through he fired in his first of the season. It was an even match but the MV GK gifted Pedrozo our third just before the break when he dropped a Rogerson cross and that was enough to take the fight out of MV. They pushed in the final stages but we looked fairly comfortable with a cushion.

I switched to wingbacks against Brisbane's formation and it looked to be a poor choice as we are forced to defend early on. I tweaked to encourage the team to play through the midfield and it worked as we went on to build a comfortable 4-0 lead. Brisbane grabbed a consolation from a corner before Ridenton completed the scoring when his late driven shot was deflected in.

After such a good run we end the month with a disappointing defeat to a team who haven't won so far this season. The Wanderers were a bit of a bogey side for us last season and when their new 18yo star striker, Spencer gets in front of Rossi to head in early on I can see its going to be a problem match. Howieson equalises in the second half when Parkhouse pulls the ball back but a simple direct ball over the top sees Spencer hold off Calver to slot in a winner.

9WGHZkc.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

December 2019

***Team News***

Dennis comes to me about his lack of football and I can't say I'm surprised. Its partly down to him being not quite as good as I had hoped and the fact that Dennis & Pedrozo can't really play together. They are so alike that they both want to play the DLF role at STL and with Pedrozo being in such good form along with neither Pedrozo or Rogerson having been injured means chances for him have been very limited.

My concern is if I let him go we are going to be short up top should Rogerson and/or Pedrozo get injured but looking back on their injury history they seem to be improving. Rogerson has been injury free for the last 18 months while Pedrozo has just had a small knock in the last calendar year. I don't even have the option of calling IJzerman back from his loan spell as he broke his ankle on the last spell of International duty which probably sees him sidelined for the rest of this season.

Its not like we don't have options though, Krishna & Rufer can both play up front while in the youth team 19yo Nicolas Lane & 16yo Adam Davis could possibly do a job but the better option may well be 17yo Anthony Crump who, aside from his passing has improved significantly since the summer.

For now Dennis is happy to wait for a chance but I may well let him go in January.

y2y36Gm.png

It was a top of the table clash to start the month and the Mariners edged the first half with Rodic saving one half chance while they rattled the bar from distance. We got a massive slice of luck in the second half when Pedrozo's shot from distance takes a big deflection sending the keeper diving the wrong way. No luck about our second though as Rufer got his head to a Parkhouse cross, squeezing it in the corner as we bounce back from the Wanderers defeat.

Next up its another top of the table clash against Sydney but our first half performance ranks up there with the worst ever. An early direct freekick from Manning was impressive but it overshadowed by how poor we were. We improved in the second half with Boxall scoring two in two minutes from corners but we couldn't get back on terms.

We also started slow against MC but soon picked up. Pedrozo beat his marker to sweep in a Doyle cross from the left before Rogerson directed in Brindell-South's driven cross from the right. We looked comfortable for the rest of the match to extend out lead at the top of the league.

The last match of the month was a good game against the Jets. Williams gifted them the early lead when he stopped a long ball going out for a throw but lost possession allowing the Jets an open man in the middle. We were soon level though when Krishna swept in a Brindell-South cross and Rufer gave us the lead when the ball rolled loose in the box. The Jets were level though through a good move before the break but we pulled away in the second half as Rufer headed in his second before Pedrozo's deflected shot crossed the line. We were forced to defend towards the end but held on for the win.

O4oPo3c.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

January 2020

***Transfer Window***

With the squad rules its difficult to organise anything during the January window so its mainly contract negotiations and planning summer transfers as you organise a squad for next season.

This year though I've been tracking a GK I really want to sign and to do so I have to release a player.  Lewis Italiano (GK) is starting to become disillusioned with being a backup and I was planning to release him in the summer when his contract ended anyway but now he goes early:

Lewis Italiano (29yo Australian GK) – Released

Time at Wellington: 7 years, Apps: 26

After the issue I had with foreign players last season I started scouting the Asian regions to try to pick up a player to fill the Asian quota. I didn't find much of interest except a young GK who was playing well and the scouts felt he had a lot of potential. He wasn't fully scouted in the summer and he was still playing regularly for his club but now he has been released with other clubs circling I felt I had to make a move:

Muhd Faris Kamaruddin (19yo Malaysian GK) – Unattached

Despite being born in Malaysia he actually grew up in the USA and came through the youth academy of Portland Timbers (MLS). He made around 50 appearances for the academy side but never broke through into the main squad and returned to Malaysia with Polis DRM (Malaysian Super League). Regular starts earned him a call up to the Malaysia squad and he is now first choice at International level. I'm expecting him to be at least as good as Italiano was while with 5* PA I'm expecting him to challenge Rodic for the first team spot sooner rather than later.

Z4UzOc6.png

4Hfgor4.png

Even at home Adelaide set up defensively and proved to be hard to break down. Stats were Adelaide 5 shots, no chances while we had 4 shots, one half chance. With that in mind no-one was surprised it ended 0-0.

The Perth match isn't much different with few chances while with Pedrozo recovering from a knock Dennis gets a chance up front. It proves to be a good choice as he drills in the only chance of the first half when Krishna lays off in the box.  Injury to Krishna sees Stroud make his debut in the second half while we have to see out the final few minutes with 10 men as Dennis is also carried off.

Against MV I had two big decisions, the first was giving a debut to new signing, Kamaruddin in goal so he didn't lose match sharpness and the second was starting the in form Rogerson up front ahead of Pedrozo. Neither looked to be the best decision but it didn't matter as we came out winners from a close match thanks to a brace from Epifano. MV clawed one back from a corner but we again held on as the defence did a good job of protecting Kamaruddin. He didn't seem so confident in the air but I'm hoping he'll improve as he gets sharper and becomes familiar with our style of play.

I let Kamaruddin continue against Brisbane but he certainly doesn't come out to claim the ball like Rodic does. Thats a problem as Brisbane play on the break with three dangerous front players. A turn & shot from one of them gave Brisbane the lead before Epifano won a cheap penalty that Pedrozo fired in to equalise. Wasted chances in the second half cost us when a cross is headed back across goal to put Brisbane back in front. What do you do though when you aren't converting chances? Shoot from 30 yards and thats what Rodenton did late on to earn us a deserved point.

We ended the month home to the Mariners and are much the better side but just don't create chances. At the end the stats read Mariners 2 shots, 1 half chance which they took. We had 12 shots, 1 half chance, not taken.

Overall our form seemed to slip a little this month but we still picked up eight points from five matches which puts us on 36 points. Historically 36pts is more than enough to make the playoffs and we still have a nine point lead over Sydney in 2nd.

w5RILyA.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

February 2020

P6a5sYi.png

We start the month home to Wanderers and its Rodic back in goal but after saying Kamaruddin doesn't come for crosses I'm cursing as Rodic drops a corner gifting them the lead going into the break. The team raise their game in the second half though with Rogerson forcing a header in at the far post to pull us level before losing his marker to slot in a Parkhouse cross later in the half.

Against Sydney its a tight first half with the only moment of note being a a deflected goal from Sydney thats ruled out for offside. The match opens up in the second half though when Krishna gets behind the defence squaring for Rogerson to fire in. Krishna nearly creates another when he blocks a clearance but when the ball falls to Rogerson its a weak effort thats easily saved while at the other end a quick break sees Rodic comes to our rescue pushing wide. As Sydney press in the later stages its end to end and McGlinchey sees two half chances saved but we hang on to put one hand on the regular season title.

I don't whether its complacency or they just can't be bothered but we do nothing against Adelaide. Their first comes from Kamaruddin palming a soft shot away that should have been held while the second is a straight forward header from a corner. Not much else to say except kick the squad around the dressing room.

For 75 minutes this was up there with the Adelaide match as one of the most inept performances you will ever see. MC took the lead with the first shot of the match, a rocket from outside the box before Rossi gifted them a second when he left the keeper short on a back pass. The last 15 minutes though saw an out of form Pedrozo come off the bench and play like a man possessed. His first gave us a sniff of a chance but within minutes he had converted a Brindell-South cross before breaking and squaring for Dennis to give us the lead. Pedrozo had a chance for a hattrick before another rocket saw MC level again from 30 yards. Another break from a MC corner saw Pedrozo play a one-two with Rufer before confidently firing past their keeper and he still wasn't done as deep into injury time he held off two defenders to fire in his fourth & our fifth to wrap up the most unlikely win you'll ever see.

We finished the month away to the Jets and a good first half performance sees us build a lead. Parkhouse creates the first when he puts a half cleared free kick back into the box finding the unmarked Boxall before also crossing for Pedrozo to sweep a second. The Jets responded in the second half though and I learned sitting back wasn't the answer but not before they had pulled a goal back. A more offensive approach saw us finish strongly with Pedrozo missing two good chances to put us out of sight while at the other end the Jets also had chances to equalise. We held on though to put us in sight of the title.

od5dilh.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

March 2020

***Manager News***

The Sydney manager was recently sacked and the media are listing me as the favourite to take over. I would be open to a move but not to another A-League side so I play down the questions. A few days later I'm offered an interview which I also decline.

***Transfer News***

We are a little top heavy currently in midfield and I've been tracking a 24yo NZ International DM/MC who plays for a NZ Premiership side. He looks like a good addition to the squad who could cover three roles/positions (DM, DLP or DR) but the problem is he would have to take someone elses place in the squad. With Granger an U21 it would have to be Howieson, Rufer or McGlinchey with 33yo McGlinchey the obvious option having significantly declined this last year. Unfortunately the DOF can't agree terms with the player so I put it on the back burner for now and will maybe try again closer to the end of the season.

HgPnPhH.png

Five games to go & we have a 12 point lead over 2nd placed Melbourne Victory which is enough to rotate a bit more. I start Kamaruddin in goal while putting 17yo Stroud on the bench. Lowry had what you call a bad day at the office as he deflected in a Doyle cross before also deflecting a Rufer shot past the keeper. No doubt about the third though as Rufer rifles in from the edge of the box while Stroud comes off the bench crossing for Parkhouse to make it four. Two late goals take the shine off the win as complacency sets in but it makes no odds as we are crowned Regular Season Champions.

With the title in the bag its a chance for the younger players to get game time while I concentrate on keeping match fitness up. Dennis, Stroud & Kamaruddin all start in what proves to be a really dull game for 75 minutes. MV only manage a couple of shots while we have a few more but mainly from distance. Rogerson comes off the bench to force in a Brindell-South cross but MV equalise with a good move. Rogerson looked to have won it late on when McGlinchey played him through before Rossi, under no pressure at all, somehow managed to head a corner into his own net in injury time.

I have the option of postponing the Mariners match as we are missing five (Doyle, Howieson, Krishna, Rufer & Rogerson) who are on International duty but I don't see the point as we can cope without them. We got off to a flyer winning the ball in midfield and releasing Stroud down the right who then squares it for Pedrozo to tap in. That seemed to fire the Mariners up though and they should have been quickly level when Kantarovski stuck his foot out in the box but Rodic saved the penalty while the follow up rattled the post. They were soon level though when our defence got sliced open before Pedrozo put us back in front after a good pass by Ridenton. I warned the team about complacency during the break but they don't seem to listen as the Mariners are level again within a minute of kickoff. This time though the match settled with both defences looking better and everyone was just waiting for the final whistle when Buhagier got between defenders slotting into the corner to win the match.

t8fd16l.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

April 2020

jvucd66.png

Brisbane seem to be rebuilding with several youngsters playing this season. I would have liked to have given some of ours a chance but with this match being just our second in a month I also need to keep match fitness up on the main players. It turns out to be a comfortable win as Rufer plays Parkhouse in for the first early on before Parkhouse turned creator in the second half crossing for McGlinchey to fire in. We could and probably should have had a few more but it doesn't matter.

Last match of the season and we had nothing to play for. Wanderers take the early lead through a direct freekick but we level when Epifano crosses for Stroud to score his first senior goal. We went behind again in the second half when Kamaruddin makes a poor choice to come for a cross leaving their striker to get up in front nodding into an empty net. After wasting a few chances we level late on when Rogerson breaks down the left crossing to find Stroud who fires in his second. Overall we should have won, we created enough chances and I'm not really sure how Wanderers scored two.

V4kTrSj.png

***Manager News***

I've been thinking about moving on for a while having achieved pretty much all I can at Wellington but so far only Sydney have shown any interest. As I'm preparing for the Finals Series though an offer arrives that I can't say no to. I'll see out the season with Wellington before taking over.

NzF34Cy.png

Hyundai A-League Finals Series

Elimination Round

The Victory were fairly comfortable winners over the Wanderers but Sydney needed extra time to edge out the Jets. The Mariners draw MV in the semis leaving Sydney facing ourselves.

sTTrIfV.png

Semi Final

The Mariners are the form team going into the Finals series but they have to come from behind with a late penalty in extra time seeing them scrape through in a close match.

kspvL2F.png

Semi Final

We were just missing the one player but it was an important one in club captain, Rhys Williams. In the regular season we lost away to Sydney 3-2 while both home games ended in 1-0 wins for us. This match was no different as its close with few chances. After a slow start we open the scoring when McGlinchey breaks down the right squaring for Rufer to fire in. That seemed to be about the lot until Zullo fired in from the edge of the box on 71 minutes to take it into extra time. I don't know whether it was tiredness or complacency but the team got worse as the match went on with Grant winning it for Sydney in extra time as I bowed out in disappointing fashion.

b6UG3AG.png

Grand Final

The Mariners do what we can't as they grab an early goal and hold on despite strong Sydney pressure.

9FpA9Nu.png

4 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Were you given the option to manage both club and country?

Yes but I'm not keen on doing both at once.

Currently I have got both but there is a gap between Wellington's last match of the season & the next Australia game.

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

2019/20 Season Summary

Hyundai A-League

We started well, got out in front and never looked back as the battle behind was for the playoff spots. The Mariners finished strongly to take 2nd while the Wanderers claimed the last playoff spot in the final weeks of the season for the second year in a row. Much like last season though the teams in the playoff spots after the first few weeks stayed there while those outside were always chasing.

V4kTrSj.png

The playoffs pretty much went with seeding aside from our defeat to Sydney in the semi finals. The Mariners were the best team towards the end of the season and lifted their 3rd Grand Final trophy.

25LoU8W.png

FFA Cup

We crashed & burned in the first round as it went to an all Melbourne final. The Victory got bragging rights as they lifted their 3rd FFA Cup in five seasons.

XzDtxtA.png

Awards

We were amongst the awards again this season.

VoN7vNL.png

IPZvRrB.png

3fnQKld.png

nLlyhAl.png

I2xYkp3.png

D9ekt1C.png

Club Review

Hyundai A-League – Winners

Hyundai A-League Finals Series – Semi Finals

FFA Cup - 1st Round

It was a disappointing start to the season in the Cup but the team bounced back to win the regular season in style. We ended with a disappointing defeat in the Finals series but I'm happy to be leaving Wellington having delivered a clean sweep of all three trophies available to the club.

Squad Review

jRRSg4G.pngYQDxQbX.png

Goalkeepers

My intent at the beginning of the season was to give Italiano some game time but consistent performances by Rodic saw him keep the jersey before Kamaruddin joined us in January. Kamaruddin has potential and showed signs he could be a top notch keeper for Wellington in the future but he needs a little more improvement before challenging Rodic for the starting role.

Silvio Rodic (32yo Croatian GK) - 23 apps, 20 conceded, 11 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.85

Muhd Faris Kamaruddin (20yo Malaysian GK) – 6 (1) apps, 12 conceded, 0 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.93

Fullbacks

What I learned this season is that Rossi is much more suited to the middle of defence as he has got older. This left Doyle to produce his best season yet on the left while Fenton continued to be first choice on the right. Brindell-South covered both sides but despite being aggressive and forward thinking we just seem to concede more when he is in the side.

Tom Doyle (27yo New Zealand DL/DC) – 22 apps, 0 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 7.00

Louis Fenton (27yo New Zealand DR/MRC) – 17 (5) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.90

Joshua Brindell-South (27yo Australian DRL) – 12 (9) apps, 0 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 6.89

Central Defence

I was expecting Boxall to be the one who started to show his age but he actually upped his performances from last season unlike Rossi & Williams who both dipped a little. Calver came in and got chances but he looks a little short of being a regular starter while Baravilala doesn't seem to have moved forward and is likely to be released at some stage.

Marco Rossi (32yo Italian DLC) – 25 apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 7.03

Michael Boxall (31yo New Zealand DC/DR) – 20 apps, 3 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 7.13

Rhys Williams (31yo Australian DC, MC/DM) – 23 (1) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.97

Aaron Calver (24yo Australian DC/DR) – 14 (1) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.85

Koloni Baravilala (19yo New Zealand DC) – 0 apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: -

Midfield

It was another steady season from Kantarovski as he did the dirty work in the DM role. Further forward Ridenton pushed Howieson hard for the DLP role but it was in the attacking role where there was a changing of the guard. McGlinchey played well but age is catching up with him fast while in his place Rufer was the star of midfield as he had a real breakout season. This left Granger to take his first steps in the main squad but he didn't get many chances.

Ben Kantarovski (28yo Australian DM/DC, MC) – 23 (4) apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.95

Michael McGlinchey (33yo New Zealand AMC/AMRL) – 15 (6) apps, 1 goal, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 7.00

Cameron Howieson (25yo New Zealand AMC/AML, ST) – 18 (4) apps, 1 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.90

Matthew Ridenton (24yo New Zealand MC/DM) – 11 (9) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.98

Alex Rufer (23yo New Zealand MC/MR, ST) – 14 (3) apps, 6 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 7.42

Simon Granger (18yo New Zealand MC/AMC) – 0 (5) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.78

Wingers

There were less chances for the wingers this season as we played the wingbacks more often but when we did Parkhouse was again the pick of the wide players. Epifano did ok covering both wings but he has never really found the level I would like and my plan was to release him. Likewise age is catching up with Krishna on the right and with his performances trending downwards he is another that I was going to release. It wasn't all negative though as 17yo Tom Stroud took his first steps in the senior team and already looks ready to replace Krishna.

Adam Parkhouse (28yo Australian ML) – 15 (6) apps, 2 goals, 8 assists, Ave Rating: 7.10

Roy Krishna (32yo Fijian AMRL, ST) – 6 (5) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.87

Nick Epifano (25yo Australian AMRL/AMC) – 13 (4) apps, 2 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.88

Tom Stroud (17yo New Zealand MR) – 3 (3) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 7.10

Forwards

New signing Dennis turned out to be a bit disappointing as he never got with the program. We didn't need him though as Pedrozo continued to impress with Rogerson offering a solid alternative. 18yo IJzerman went out on loan where he had plenty of match time but didn't really perform before breaking his ankle on International duty.

Fabricio Pedrozo (27yo Argentinian ST/AML) – 23 (3) apps, 17 goals, 6 assists, Ave Rating: 7.17

Logan Rogerson (21yo New Zealand ST/AMRL) – 11 (12) apps, 9 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 7.10

Dennis (28yo Brazilian ST/AMC) – 5 (5) apps, 3 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.77

Sven IJzerman (18yo New Zealand ST) – 15 (1) apps, 3 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.46 (On Loan)

Australia

With the season over I resign from Wellington Phoenix to concentrate on the Australia role where I'm being paid more in a month than I was getting in a year before.

kFumdyJ.png

tjM5Fqe.png

Nickname: The Socceroos

Rival Nations: New Zealand, England, Japan, Iran, Uruguay & Croatia

Current World Ranking: 31st

3IGoA81.png

Honours

Asian Nations Cup: Winners (2015), Runners-up (2011)

Confederations Cup: Runners-up (1997)

Oceania Nations Cup: Winners (1980, 1996, 2000, 2004), Runners-up (1998, 2002)

Recent History

Australia were pushed in qualifying for the 2018 World Cup finishing 2nd in the final group behind Japan & just 2 points ahead of the UAE. They were drawn in group A where they suffered a heavy defeat against Uruguay before drawing with both Poland & Russia.

Next up was the 2019 Asian Cup where they cruised through the group, beat Kyrgyzstan on penalties before going out on penalties to China in the quarter finals.

Currently they are involved in qualifying for the 2022 World Cup. Eight wins out of eight has seen them through the 2nd Round Group Stage with the Final Group Stage due to start in a few months.

Star Players

Mathew Ryan (28yo Australian GK) – 71 Caps

After three years as a starter with Valencia (Spanish First Division) he moved to Monaco (French Ligue 1) for £10.25m at the beginning of this season.

H2p0MH9.png

Alex Gersbach (23yo Australian DL) – 23 Caps

Looks the part but despite earning a rep he hasn't really achieved much. A squad player at Rosenborg (Norwegian Premier Division) he moved to Brentford (English Premier Division) for £1m in 2018. Relegation was followed by a £2.1m move to Bologna (Italian Serie A) where again he has been very average.

AZz0YyV.png

Aaron Mooy (29yo Australian MC/DM) – 61 Caps, 10 Goals

A well travelled playmaker who needs to settle and hopefully find his best form. Since signing for Man City (English Premier Division) in 2016 he has had loan spells in England (Huddersfield), Spain (Sevilla) & Italy (Roma) but finally got a permanent move signing for Columbus (MLS) in January for £1.9m.

QNIQHdQ.png

Apostolos Giannou (30yo Australian ST/AMC) – 24 Caps, 8 Goals

Another player who has moved around a lot. Spent a lot of his career in Greece before moving to Fuli (Chinese Super League) in 2016 for £1.8m. It turned out to be a bust as he hardly played but after being released he joined Kaizer Chiefs (South African Premiership) last year where his form has rapidly improved.

ZJRbHdQ.png

Australia

June 2020

World Cup Qualifying (Asian Section)

The final group stage has been drawn and in Group A our main competition for World Cup places should be from Japan & Iran who are both ranked inside the top 50 currently.

uR7tXsm.png

Preview

With World Cup qualifying resuming in September this month there are two friendlies for me to get to grips with the squad. One was already organised when I took over and its against Iran (WR 49th) who we have been drawn against in qualifying while I added a second a few days earlier. My options were limited to either Argentina or one of around ten African nations. I tried to pick a decent test who were beatable and chose Ghana (WR 46th).

Squad Selection

It seems like a good number of experienced internationals retired after the 2018 World Cup. This seems to leave a split, there are a fair few experienced over 30yos along with a number of 26-30yos who have been picking up caps over the last two years. There are very few U23s who have caps and I've been tasked with introducing some new blood to the squad while staying competitive.

Midfield seems to be the strongest area which probably explains why the team seem to have been playing a narrow formation (Possibly 4321 with 2*AMCs recently). There seems to be decent starters in most other areas although central defence is looking a little weak.

Goalkeepers

In goal there are two clear choices – 28yo Mathew Ryan is one of our star players while 31yo Mitchell Langerak deserves more caps than he has. Behind them there are a number of fringe options but the only one capped is 29yo Mark Birighitti. 19yo Rowan Dodd will possibly be a regular in a few years but for now I'm happy for him to work his way through the age groups. Looking at the strengths & weaknesses it comes down to two Melbourne players – Alex Cisak who plays for Victory & Dean Bouzanis from City. Cisak is currently in the squad and has had the slightly better season so keeps his place.

Mathew Ryan (28yo GK) – AS Monaco (French Ligue 1) – 71 caps, 0 goals

Mitchell Langerak (31yo GK) – Stuttgart (German First Division) – 8 caps, 0 goals

Alex Cisak (31yo GK) – Melbourne Victory (A-League) – Uncapped

Fullbacks

On the left we have no standout players but a lot of good options. 28yo Jason Davidson has the most caps (68) but we perhaps have better players available. 23yo Alex Gersbach is one of the new generation stars but his performances don't seem to live up to his skill while Brad Smith, Aziz Behich & Michael Zullo all have over 10 caps. Davidson has had a good season so keeps his place while I decide to go with Gersbach over Behich. Its a similar story on the right where 30yo Ryan McGowan has been the regular starter but he seems to have plenty of challengers albeit none of them have many caps. 27yo Josh Risdon has been the main alternative with 11 caps but Scott Galloway, Stefan Nigro, Rhyan Grant & Jason Geria are all on the fringe of the squad. With McGowan & Galloway injured its a chance for others and I go with Risdon & Geria who have both had impressive seasons.

Jason Davidson (28yo DLC) – Lechia Gdansk (Polish Ekstraklasa) – 68 caps, 3 goals

Alex Gersbach (23yo DL) – Bologna (Italian Serie A) – 23 caps, 0 goals

Josh Risdon (27yo DR) – Sydney FC (A-League) – 11 caps, 0 goals

Jason Geria (27yo DRC) – Melbourne Victory (A-League) – 4 caps, 0 goals

Central Defence

Our most capped player is 34yo Mark Milligan and despite not playing for Australia in over a year I still feel he could do a decent job although he could be of more use at DM. 31yo Matthew Spiranovic, 31yo Rhys Williams & 35yo Alex Wilkinson are also experienced options who seem to have been thrown aside early. At 35yo it might be too late for Wilkinson while Wellington's Rhys Williams looks a little short of quality but Spiranovic could well still play a part. In their absence 27yo Bailey Wright has been the main option while 26yo Nick Ansell has been his regular partner over the last year. Behind them Connor Chapman (2 caps) along with the uncapped Lachlan Jackson, Alex Grant & Luan (Who I tried to sign for Wellington) are potential options. I include Wright as our best player despite him spending a lot of time on the bench at club level while Ansell & Chapman earn their places. That leaves Jackson, Grant & Luan fighting over the last place with Jackson edging out Grant for the spot.

Bailey Wright (27yo DC) – Eibar (Spanish First Division) – 51 caps, 4 goals

Nick Ansell (26yo DC) – Melbourne Victory (A-League) – 15 caps, 0 goals

Connor Chapman (25yo DC/DL) – Pohang (South Korean K-League) – 2 caps, 0 goals

Lachlan Jackson (25yo DC/DL) – Newcastle Jets (A-League) - Uncapped

Central Midfield

There are lots of options but three standout ones that all have over 50 caps – 27yo Luongo, 29yo Mooy & 27yo Rogic. Luongo seems like the ideal DLP while Rogic is more of a runner which leaves Mooy slightly out of place but able to cover both roles. Luongo hasn't had the best of seasons but I want to look at him which means the likes of Jimmy Jeggo, Mitch Nichols, Joe Caletti & Stefan Mauk will all have to wait their turn. This leaves me looking for more defensive midfielders and there are a few to choose from. 25yo Jackson Irvine has been a regular but has limited experience at the DM position while the other main options have been Josh Brillante & Brandon Wilson although I'm starting to think Wilson might be better at fullback. I also like the look of uncapped 19yo Pawel Filipiak but unfortunately he is out for a year with damaged cruciate ligaments.

Massimo Luongo (27yo MC/DM, AMC) – QPR (English Championship) – 64 caps, 9 goals

Aaron Mooy (29yo MC, AMC/DM) – Columbus (MLS) – 61 caps, 10 goals

Tom Rogic (27yo MC, AMC/DM) – Ludogorets (Bulgarian First League) – 50 caps, 8 goals

Jackson Irvine (27yo MC) – Legia (Polish Ekstraklasa) – 25 caps, 0 goals

Josh Brillante (27yo MC/DM) – Sydney FC (A-League) – 19 caps, 1 goal

Wingers

The star on the left is 29yo Mathew Leckie but unfortunately he hasn't been producing the same form at club level. Behind him 32yo Nikita Rukavytsya seems to be in decline which leaves 28yo Tommy Oar and 31yo James Troisi as the experienced options while 21yo Panos Armenakas is a recent addition to the squad. On the right 31yo Robbie Kruse has been a regular with 50 caps to his name but he is currently out injured and maybe in decline. 27yo Ben Halloran has been the alternative option while Christopher Oikonomidis, Ryan Edwards & Awer Mabil are on the fringe of the squad. With Halloran out of favour at club level & Mabil injured Oikonomidis & Edwards are easy picks.

Mathew Leckie (29yo AML/AMR, ST) – Ingolstadt (German First Division) – 79 caps, 28 goals

Tommy Oar (28yo AML/AMR) – FC Utrecht (Dutch Eredivisie) – 31 caps, 2 goals

Christopher Oikonomidis (25yo AMRL/AMC) – Novara (Italian Serie B) – 5 caps, 0 goals

Ryan Edwards (26yo AMRC) – Partick Thistle (Scottish Premiership) – 7 caps, 3 goals

Strikers

Up front four strikers have been sharing the workload but at 33yo Dario Vidosic has possibly played his last international. That leaves Tomi Juric, Jamie Maclaren & Apostolos Giannou as the main options while 27yo Adam Taggart has also been capped but hasn't played for Australia in several years. Young blood is needed & leading the way are 18yos Martin Stewart & Zach Spencer who will be fast tracked to the main squad but just not yet.

Tomi Juric (28yo ST) – Luzern (Swiss Super League) – 44 caps, 21 goals

Jamie Maclaren (26yo ST/AMR) – Brisbane Roar (A-League) – 24 caps, 5 goals

Apostolos Giannou (30yo ST/AMC) – Kaizer Chiefs (South African Premiership) – 24 caps, 8 goals

Friday 12th June 2020 – Friendly

Ghana (WR 46th) v Australia (WR 30th)

Starting Eleven (41221): Langerak, Risdon, Ansell, Jackson, Davidson, Brillante, Mooy, Rogic, Oikonomidis, Oar & Juric

Two matches and the aim is to get a look at all the players so half will start here & half against Iran. Ghana are expected to lineup 433 which means I would normally go for wingbacks but as I want to look at players its 41221 which may or may not work.

An even first half sees the better chances fall our way as Juric hits the bar with one half chance before seeing another saved. In defence Langerak shows why he should have had more than eight caps with some solid goalkeeping but just before half time a freak cross from Rahman dips over him. I switch to wingbacks in the second half and whilst looking less stretchered at the back we seem to struggle to create chances going forwards. With no chances of note we slip to defeat but I'm relatively happy with what I saw, we just need to put the ball in the net.

NsdeMjr.png

Tuesday 16th June 2020 – Friendly

Australia (WR 30th) v Iran (WR 49th)

Starting Eleven (41221): Ryan, Geria, Wright, Chapman, Gersbach, Irvine, Luongo, Mooy, Edwards, Leckie & Giannou

The other half of the squad start at home to Iran which will give me a good idea what to expect in qualifying. They have an odd 41221 narrow formation which includes a DM, 2*MCs, 2*AMCs & a ST so I'm hoping our wingers should get some space.

Iran's odd formation causes us a problem but thats no excuse for a poor performance where we create nothing from start to finish. At least we look solid in defence as we limit Iran to just one clear chance which Ryan tips wide.

yL7gXrR.png

Australia

September 2020

Olympic Games

The U23s were in Olympic action over the summer. Mathew Ryan (GK), Tom Rogic (MC) & Stefan Mauk (MC) were chosen as the three overage players while potential main squad players Alex Gersbach (DL), Joe Caletti (MC), Brandon Wilson & Panos Armenakas (ML) were also included in the squad. Other notable youngsters who went were Luan (DC), Martin Stewart (ST) & Zach Spencer (ST).

Unfortunately the tournament wasn't a success as an opening 4-2 defeat by Cameroon U23s was followed by defeats against Italy U23s (2-0) & the USA U23s (3-0).

Preview

The final stage of World Cup qualifying starts this month and we have on paper what should be two comfortable wins – Away to the Philippines before a home match vs Syria.

Squad Selection

Goalkeepers

Ryan has had a mixed pre-season having been away with the U23s at the Olympics while Langerak seems to have currently lost his starting place at Stuttgart but both are included due to their undoubted skill. The third spot is more of an issue with several of the options struggling for match fitness early in the season. Although not in the best form I include Dean Bouzanis as he is the sharpest having been playing in the Asian Champion's League.

Mathew Ryan (28yo GK) – AS Monaco (French Ligue 1) – 72 caps, 0 goals

Mitchell Langerak (31yo GK) – Stuttgart (German First Division) – 9 caps, 0 goals

Dean Bouzanis (29yo GK) – Melbourne City (A-League) – Uncapped

Fullbacks

On the left Brad Smith is close to a call up but misses out due to Alex Gersbach & Jason Davidson having started the season in top form. On the right Ryan McGowan is back from injury and in good form to take Geria's place. I would liked to have included Brandon Wilson for the second spot but I can't ignore the form of Josh Risdon who keeps his place.

Jason Davidson (29yo DLC) – Lechia Gdansk (Polish Ekstraklasa) – 69 caps, 3 goals

Alex Gersbach (23yo DL) – Bologna (Italian Serie A) – 24 caps, 0 goals

Josh Risdon (28yo DR) – Sydney FC (A-League) – 12 caps, 0 goals

Ryan McGowan (31yo DRC) – FC Tokyo (Japan) – 58 caps, 3 goals

Central Defence

Not only our weakest area but I also have injuries to contend with. Both Bailey Wright & Matthew Spiranovic are out for significant lengths of time which leaves us missing a lot of experience. Chapman is in good form though while Jackson has done enough to keep his place. I feel like I have to include Nick Ansell despite him not being fully match sharp atm which leaves me looking for one more. The options seem to be the uncapped Alex Grant, promote Luan from the U19s although he wasn't great at the Olympics or move McGowan infield and include Brandon Wilson at DR. Wilson deserves to be included the most I think and he is more versatile.

Nick Ansell (26yo DC) – Melbourne Victory (A-League) – 16 caps, 0 goals

Connor Chapman (25yo DC/DL) – Pohang (South Korean K-League) – 3 caps, 0 goals

Lachlan Jackson (25yo DC/DL) – Newcastle Jets (A-League) – 1 cap, 0 goals

Brandon Wilson (23yo DR, MC) – Perth Glory (A-League) – 22 caps, 2 goals

Central Midfield

Irvine has joined Mooy, Luongo & Rogic as virtual autopicks but it helps that Irvine, Mooy & Rogic are in good form. Luke Brattan & James Holland have entered my radar as alternatives to Josh Brillante but Brillante is in good enough form to keep his place this time.

Massimo Luongo (27yo MC/DM, AMC) – QPR (English Championship) – 66 caps, 9 goals

Aaron Mooy (29yo MC, AMC/DM) – Columbus (MLS) – 63 caps, 10 goals

Tom Rogic (27yo MC, AMC/DM) – Ludogorets (Bulgarian First League) – 51 caps, 8 goals

Jackson Irvine (27yo MC) – Legia (Polish Ekstraklasa) – 26 caps, 0 goals

Josh Brillante (27yo MC/DM) – Sydney FC (A-League) – 21 caps, 1 goal

Wingers

I've noticed that Mathew Leckie is actually right footed which means I'm planning to use him more on the right which leaves me needing another to join Tommy Oar on the left. With Troisi not match sharp 22yo Panos Armenakas is the obvious choice to return to the squad. That leaves one space on the right and although I liked the look of Oikonomidis he is in poor form while Edwards disappointed me in the friendlies. Robbie Kruse is back from injury though and looking solid at club level.

Mathew Leckie (29yo AML/AMR, ST) – Ingolstadt (German First Division) – 80 caps, 28 goals

Robbie Kruse (31yo AMR/AML, ST) – Liaoning (Chinese Super League) – 50 caps, 8 goals

Tommy Oar (28yo AML/AMR) – FC Utrecht (Dutch Eredivisie) – 32 caps, 2 goals

Panos Armenakas (22yo AMRLC) – On loan at Aston Villa (English Championship) – 2 caps, 0 goals

Strikers

Juric is injured but good club form sees Giannou & Maclaren both included despite not impressing in the friendlies. That leaves one gap for one of the 18yos to step up and its Martin Stewart who is in good form.

Jamie Maclaren (27yo ST/AMR) – Brisbane Roar (A-League) – 26 caps, 5 goals

Apostolos Giannou (30yo ST/AMC) – Kaizer Chiefs (South African Premiership) – 26 caps, 8 goals

Martin Stewart (18yo ST) – Melbourne Victory (A-League) - Uncapped

Friday 4th September 2020 – World Cup Qualifying, Asian Section, Final Stage, Group A (1/10)

Philippines (WR 91st) v Australia (WR 34th)

Starting Eleven (41221): Langerak, Wilson, McGowan, Ansell, Gersbach, Brillante, Irvine, Mooy, Leckie, Oar & Giannou

Davidson & Rogic are a little jaded while Chapman, Luongo, Kruse & Armenakas joined the squad late due to club commitments which means they are a little tired for this match. This leaves few choices in the starting eleven but Langerak is preferred to the out of form Ryan in goal, Wilson over Risdon at DR and Giannou over Maclaren up front.

We make a slow start as the Philippines play keep ball but eventually we get some possession but lack a cutting edge in the final third. The only time we come close is when Mooy hits the bar from the edge of the box. A disappointing first half ends with us finally creating something as a chance is worked for Oar, his shot comes back off the bar but Leckie is on hand to slot in the rebound. I switch to a more forward thinking approach in the second half in the hope the floodgates open but they mostly stay firmly closed despite us dominating the game. Moving Wilson into midfield improves the balance and gives us someone who wants to get forward. It works well as we look more dangerous and its Wilson who arrives late to fire in Oar's cross to seal the win.

w5uvdc4.png

Match Day 1 Results

j9GL8pO.png

Tuesday 8th September 2020 – World Cup Qualifying, Asian Section, Final Stage, Group A (2/10)

Australia (WR 34th) v Syria (WR 99th)

Starting Eleven (41221): Langerak, Risdon, McGowan, Jackson, Davidson, Brillante, Luongo, Rogic, Leckie, Armenakas & Maclaren

A fair bit of rotation with players looking tired. Langerak continues in goal while its Maclaren up front after Giannou was again disappointing.

Although we start well Syria score first when we fall asleep at the back. A freekick is flicked away but when the cross comes back in everyone is standing ball watching. That proves to be the story of the match as we go on to lose despite probably our best performance since I took over. We just didn't hit the target enough as the stats read 22 shots, 6 chances but just 3 on target as we crashed to a defeat I'm far from happy with.

96nJNya.png

Match Day 2 Results

iO6xXA0.png

pPhLPzK.png

Australia

October 2020

Preview

World Cup qualifying continues with two more matches. First up is a tough match away to Iran before a home match against Saudi Arabia.

Squad Selection

Goalkeepers

Langerak isn't in the best form but he still joins Ryan in the squad, he just won't play. The third spot I'm just looking for someone who is playing regularly and in decent form from the tenish that are in contention. This squad that person is Mark Birighitti.

Mathew Ryan (28yo GK) – AS Monaco (French Ligue 1) – 72 caps, 0 goals

Mitchell Langerak (32yo GK) – Stuttgart (German First Division) – 11 caps, 0 goals

Mark Birighitti (29yo GK) – Wycombe (English League 1) – 1 cap, 0 goals

Fullbacks

Smith, Behich & Zullo are all injured on the left while both Gersbach & Davidson are in very average form but with no alternatives standing out they keep their places. We also have injuries on the right where McGowan & Rhyan Grant are both out. Geria is struggling with fitness as the A-League is just getting underway which leaves Galloway pushing Wilson & Risdon for the places but both are in good form.

Jason Davidson (29yo DLC) – Lechia Gdansk (Polish Ekstraklasa) – 70 caps, 3 goals

Alex Gersbach (23yo DL) – Bologna (Italian Serie A) – 25 caps, 0 goals

Josh Risdon (28yo DR) – Sydney FC (A-League) – 14 caps, 0 goals

Brandon Wilson (23yo DR, MC) – Perth Glory (A-League) – 23 caps, 3 goals

Central Defence

Injuries are also a problem in the middle where Spiranovic, Jackson & Ansell join McGowan on the sidelines. This leaves me really short of options to join Chapman and I'm forced to include Bailey Wright who is just back from injury but not match fit while the uncapped Alex Grant is next in line. For the last spot I would have included 19yo Luan but he is already away at the Asian U19 Championship. This leaves me really struggling and I opt for a temp fix in the shape of uncapped 31yo Shane Lowry which will probably not please the Perth manager as I take both of his main DCs.

Bailey Wright (28yo DC) – Swansea (English Premier Division) – 53 caps, 4 goals

Connor Chapman (25yo DC/DL) – Pohang (South Korean K-League) – 4 caps, 0 goals

Alex Grant (26yo DC) – Perth Glory (A-League) – Uncapped

Shane Lowry (31yo DC/DL) – Perth Glory (A-League) – Uncapped

Central Midfield

Injuries only seem to be affecting the defensive side of the team currently as Josh Brillante joins 19yo DM Pawel Filipiak on the treatment table. I also want a better balance in the middle as picking the best players isn't working. This means Jackson Irvine as the DLP with two proper DMs in the squad. Luke Brattan is in amazing form to take one place while James Holland joins him. Holland is in decent form but sticks out as the sort of player I want at DM. This leaves two attacking spots and Luongo will definitely miss out due to terrible form. With no one challenging them for the spots its Mooy & Rogic who keep their places.

Aaron Mooy (30yo MC, AMC/DM) – Columbus (MLS) – 65 caps, 10 goals

Tom Rogic (27yo MC, AMC/DM) – Ludogorets (Bulgarian First League) – 52 caps, 8 goals

Jackson Irvine (27yo MC) – Legia (Polish Ekstraklasa) – 27 caps, 0 goals

Luke Brattan (30yo DM, MC) – Videoton (Hungarian First Division) – 2 caps, 0 goals

James Holland (31yo DM, MC) – Liaoning (Chinese Super League) – 15 caps, 0 goals

Wingers

Oar & Armenakas aren't in the best form but with a lack of alternatives both keep their places on the left. The right sees Kruse in good form but a big decision is whether to select an out of form Leckie. There aren't any obvious replacements with the best alternative probably being Jimmy Jeggo which would give me another MC should we use wingbacks but in the end I stick with Leckie.

Mathew Leckie (29yo AML/AMR, ST) – Ingolstadt (German First Division) – 82 caps, 29 goals

Robbie Kruse (31yo AMR/AML, ST) – Liaoning (Chinese Super League) – 50 caps, 8 goals

Tommy Oar (28yo AML/AMR) – FC Utrecht (Dutch Eredivisie) – 33 caps, 2 goals

Panos Armenakas (22yo AMRLC) – On loan at Aston Villa (English Championship) – 3 caps, 0 goals

Strikers

Spencer & Stewart are both away at the Asian U19 Championship which limits my options. Maclaren is in top form while Giannou is doing pretty well at club level so gets another chance. Juric has just about recovered from injury and as Taggart & Vidosic are both struggling for match sharpness (A-League just getting underway) he gets included by default.

Jamie Maclaren (27yo ST/AMR) – Brisbane Roar (A-League) – 27 caps, 5 goals

Apostolos Giannou (30yo ST/AMC) – Kaizer Chiefs (South African Premiership) – 27 caps, 8 goals

Tomi Juric (29yo ST) – Luzern (Swiss Super League) – 45 caps, 21 goals

Friday 9th October 2020 – World Cup Qualifying, Asian Section, Final Stage, Group A (3/10)

Iran (WR 40th) v Australia (WR 32nd)

Starting Eleven (41221): Ryan, Risdon, Chapman, Grant, Gersbach, Brattan, Irvine, Mooy, Leckie, Oar & Maclaren

Back in June Iran used a narrow formation but my scouts suggest it will be a 41221 this time so I match them. Rogic, Kruse & Giannou are looking a little tired while its Ryan back in goal, Brattan at DM and Grant making his debut in defence.

It turns out my scouts are wrong as Iran use the narrow 41221 with 2*AMCs. It kinda works for us early on as we get space down the wings but once again lack a cutting edge in the final third. We ride our luck 30 minutes in when a break down the left sees a block followed by a Ryan save from the rebound but still fall behind when a short freekick is played into the channel and slipped in from a narrow angle. A more attacking style suffers the same issues in the second half and when a half chance is slotted in its game over as we lose a match we really couldn't afford to. Its clear where the problems are, we are weak in defence and simply struggle to score.

2pxpLsw.png

Match Day 3 Results

72YBnIt.png

Tuesday 13th October 2020 – World Cup Qualifying, Asian Section, Final Stage, Group A (4/10)

Australia (WR 32nd) v Saudi Arabia (WR 96th)

Starting Eleven (41221): Ryan, Wilson, Wright, Grant, Davidson, Holland, Rogic, Irvine, Kruse, Oar & Juric

I'm getting desperate for a win but I have to rotate due to tiredness.

You know the drill by now we compete well Oar sees a good chance tipped round the post while Juric blasts over the bar when Kruse pulls it back and puts it on a plate for him. Saudi Arabia have created nothing but its one long diagonal ball, one half chance and we are again behind. More chances wasted in the second half followed by a second yellow for Holland and a second for Saudi Arabia.

U4Dhhmy.png

Match Day 4 Results

S3jvcWs.png

UEGRn4L.png

Australia

***Manager News***

Three defeats out of four is not good enough and the team don't seem to be improving. I could battle on and get sacked when we don't qualify but I don't see any point in wasting time so:

iw2UCQh.png

So its down to the job centre to see whats available. I pick and choose what I apply for as I aim for clubs around my rep level. Early applications go to clubs in Poland, China, Romania & Slovakia

Only the Polish one gives me an interview and soon after an offer arrives on my desk. They look like a decent side who are underperforming compared to the last couple of seasons. The last manager was there for nearly three years before being sacked after the poor start to this season while expectations seem realistic and finances are ok. With nothing else on the horizon I set off for Poland.

O01WyOv.png

Wvvilu7.png

Team: Pogon Szczecin

League: Polish Ekstraklasa

Started: 27th October 2020

Contract: £3.5k per month until June 2022

League Structure

The Ekstraklasa is the top league in Poland containing 16 teams. Teams play each other twice with the top eight moving on to the Championship group and the bottom eight to the Relegation group. 50% of the points earned in the first 30 games are carried forward with teams playing each other once more making 37 games in total. Top team in the Championship group are the Champion's and qualify for the Champion's Cup while 2nd & 3rd qualify for the Euro Cup. In the Relegation group the bottom two are relegated to the First Division.

The three L's (Legia, Lech & Lechia) seem to dominate recent seasons with Legia the current Champions.

Cup Competitions

Just the one – Polish FA Cup which seems to be a straight knockout with Legia the current holders having beaten Wisla Krakow in the final last season.

Club History

The club was created in 1948 by Poles who moved west from Lviv after the Soviets annexed Poland's eastern territories in 1945. Based in the very NW of Poland near the German border Szczecin is a major seaport and Poland's 7th largest city.

Since being formed the club has spent most of its time in Poland's top division with only sporadic drops into lower divisions. In 2002 they were close to bankruptcy and eventually reorganised in 2007 taking the place of their reserves in the 4th Division before quickly returning to the top flight in 2012.

The last two seasons they have finished 5th & 7th in the league but they are currently struggling in 13th after 12 games.

Club Honours

Polish Ekstraklasa: Runners-up (1987 & 2001)

Polish First Division: Winners (2004), Runners-up (1966 & 2012)

Polish First Division West: Winners (1981 & 1992), Runners-up (1997)

Polish First Division North: Winners (1958 & 1962)

Polish Second Division West: Runners-up (2009)

Polish Third Division: Winners (2008)

Polish FA Cup: Runners-up (1981, 1982, 2010 & 2019)

Stadium & Facilities

The club play their home games at the 18,027 capacity all seater Stadion Florian Krygier which is named in honour of the Polish football coach who was an instrumental figure in Pogon Szczecin's history. The stadium is owned by the council but Pogon Szczecin only pay a nominal fee each season.

n9QJPs1.png

Corporate Facilities: Average

Training Facilities: Average

Youth Facilities: Average

Junior Coaching: Average

Youth Recruitment: Above Average

Affiliated Clubs

Parent Club: Lyon (French Ligue 1)

Feeder Club: Blekitni (Polish Second Division) – Local, loan

Feeder Club: Energetyk Gryfino (Polish Fourth Division) – First option

Rivals

Cracovia

Lech Poznan

Zaglebie Sosnowiec

Arka Gdynia

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

Finances

Urm, worse than expected with the bank currently overdrawn by approx £850k. Last season the club made a loss of £150k but this included a profit of about £450k on transfers which means the loss before that was £600k. In the summer they recouped £1.2m in transfer fees but then went out and spent around £1m on incoming transfers.

Overall things look tight but there is evidence that in the past the chairman has been happy to invest when he feels its needed and there are no long term loans. I've been given a transfer budget of £440k but it looks like at least some of it will have to be used to increase the wage budget where we are spending £332k a month which is around £13k a month over budget.

Staff

It looks like three members of staff followed the last manager out of the club so there are a few gaps to fill.

Competition/Squad Rules

Not as complicated as Australia but there are a couple I need to be aware of. Only two non-EU players are allowed in the starting eleven while we are allowed a max squad size of 25 (Not inc U21s) which must include 8 trained in nation and 3 trained at the club. Free transfers can be registered at any time as can any U21 players signed.

Board Expectations

In the cup the board had set a target of the quarter finals but the club came up one round short losing on penalties in the 3rd Round.

In the league the media expectation was for the club to finish 7th which seemed in line with the last couple of seasons but the board have set a target of avoiding relegation. Current odds:

3O4CBKZ.png

Squad

There are 68 players split over three squads (Senior, Reserves & U18s) and what initially impresses me about the squad is its Professional attitude. Looking closer there is a little talent in the U18s, some good players in the reserves (some out on loan) and we seem to have a very solid first team. The club also seems to be going through something of an injury crisis which might explain their poor start to the season.

Goalkeepers

33yo Adam Stachowiak has been Pogon's number one for the last three years. He looks solid enough but I wouldn't be surprised to find out he is in decline as his physical skills look low in comparison to others. Backing him up is 28yo Rafal Leszczynski who managed a cap for Poland when he was younger but seems to have reached his limit as a squad player. He joined at the beginning of last season but has yet to make his debut for the club. It would probably be worth giving him some game time to keep him happy as he looks like a solid backup.

Adam Stachowiak (33yo Polish GK)

Rafal Leszczynski (28yo Polish GK) – 1 Cap

Fullbacks

We have two Macedonians on the left. Regular international Zuta joined on a free in the summer and looks a good player while Amanovic has been a squad player at Pogon for the last four years but that looks to be his limit. On the right Rapa has been the impressive starter for the last few years while Dankowski was a big money signing (£500k) in the summer from fellow Ekstraklasa side Slask Wroclaw. He seems to have the skills but is also inconsistent and I'm not convinced he is the right replacement for Rapa long term. Also in the squad is home grown Fabian Pach but he is struggling for game time and is unsurprisingly running out of patience.

Leonard Zuta (28yo Macedonian DL/ML) – 40 Caps

Aleksa Amanovic (24yo Macedonian DL) – 1 Cap

Cornel Rapa (30yo Romanian DR) – 5 Caps

Kamil Dankowski (24yo Polish DR/DL, MR)

Fabian Pach (22yo Polish DR)

Central Defence

The middle of defence has a fairly settled look about it but is going through something of a rebuild. Kolinger, Fojut & Helik have shared the work load in recent seasons but none have been particularly impressive. All three seem to lack a bit of speed while at 33yo Fojut also seems to be declining. Wieteska joined on a free last season and seems to be growing into being a natural replacement for Fojut, he also isn't the quickest but is good on the ball. Finally Pogon bought 19yo Mostwik from a lower league club in the summer. He looks to have solid key skills and good potential but is what you would call an old fashioned defender with limited ball skills. Also worth noting that Kolinger is currently out with a broken ankle and won't be back for a few months.

Denis Kolinger (26yo German DC)

Jaroslaw Fojut (33yo Polish DC)

Michal Helik (25yo Polish DC/DR)

Mateusz Wieteska (23yo Polish DC/DM)

Jedrzej Moskwik (19yo Polish DC)

Central Midfield

I thought it was the defence getting rebuilt but the midfield seems all over the place. First off the easy bit – Last summer Pogon sold their star Georgian International DM to Saint-Etienne for £1.4m. They replaced him with two loan signings from other Ekstraklasa clubs – Makowski from Legia & Aytov from KGHM Zaglebie Lubin. Further forward Stepcic & Chvedukus have been squad players at the club for a few years but seem like they are on the way out while replacing them are two new signings and two who have worked their way through the club. Former Polish U21 International, Kowalczyk is a runner who came through the Pogon youth system while DLP, Piotrowski joined Pogon at a young age. The two new signings in the summer were all round attacker Budzinski who joined for a small fee from rivals, Cracovia and a potential star in Slovakian U21 International, Kozak who moved for £175k. Whilst on paper the midfield looks strong none of them seem to be performing and its an area that needs fixing.

Rafal Makowski (24yo Polish DM/DC, MC) – On Loan from Legia

Vladimir Aytov (24yo Bulgarian DM, MC/DC) – On Loan from KGHM Zaglebie Lubin

Jakub Piotrowski (23yo Polish MC/DM)

Karolis Chvedukas (29yo Lithuanian MC/DM, AMC) – 44 Caps, 2 Goals

Sebastian Kowalczyk (22yo Polish MC/DM, AMC)

Jozef Kozak (19yo Slovakian AMC/MC)

Valentino Stepcic (30yo Croatian AMC/MC, MR, ST)

Marcin Budzinski (30yo Polish MC, AMC, ST)

Wingers

I thought it was a strong squad on paper but the more I look at it the more I see weaknesses. On the left Pesic has been a squad player for a few years but is average at best while Letniowski was picked up on a free in the summer. He is yet to make his debut but looks maybe a little better than Pesic while our best ML is possibly out on loan – 29yo Czech, Pazler. Fulop is the pick of the wingers on the right where he has been solid for the last few years while Gojkoa has been picked up on loan from Piast Gliwice as backup.

Ivan Pesic (28yo Croatian AML/AMR, ST)

Juliusz Letniowski (22yo Polish MLC/MR)

Istvan Fulop (30yo Hungarian MR) – 3 Caps

Denis Gojkoa (22yo Polish AMRL)

Strikers

Up front Sanogo has been sharing the workload the last few years with two home grown strikers – Zwolinski & Listkowski but none of them seem to have played that well despite the club finishing towards the top the last couple of years. There are also several youngsters who have potential and it could be time to think about bringing them through.

Yaya Sanogo (27yo French ST/AML)

Lukasz Zwolinski (27yo Polish ST)

Marcin Listkowski (22yo Polish ST/AMR)

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

November 2020

***Player News***

On loan winger Denis Gojkoa comes to me during the month to say he doesn't feel like he is getting enough first team football. I don't disagree with him as he is only a backup right winger and as we have plenty of other options I agree to terminate his loan.

Yg82KEn.png

I have five missing for my first match, Amanovic (DL), Kolinger (DC), Kowalczyk (MC) & Stepcic (MC) are all injured while Helik (DC) is suspended. With Korona playing 451 I opt for wingbacks which sees a number of changes to what the fans are used to. Regulars Dankowski (DR), Aytov (DM), Fulop (MR) & Pesic (ML) are also left on the sidelines as a makeshift defence contains the experienced Fojut alongside youngsters Moskwik & Wieteska while Budzinski makes his first start in midfield with Zwolinski joining Sanogo up front. It proves to be a good choice when an early cross from Rapa finds Sanogo who powers a header in & the lead is doubled later in the half when Sanogo directs in a cross from the other wing back, Zuta. We actually don't create that much despite controlling the game but neither do Korona who rarely threaten.

Kowalczyk & Stepcic have recovered but its two in, two out as Kozak & Budzinski have picked up knocks while Aytov can't play against his parent club & Zuta is suspended. The wingers get a chance as its 41221 while Helik returns from suspension in defence but several players are lacking match sharpness. A tight first half sees just the one chance when Sanogo steps past a defender but his shot is tipped wide by the keeper. The match opens up late in the second half and Helik gives us the lead heading in a corner. Zaglebie equalise minutes later with a rocket from the edge of the box and a draw would have been the fair result but they steal a late winner when a freekick deflects off the wall sending Stachowiak the wrong way.

I use the International break to organise a friendly against the reserves. Its a win, win situation as I get to build match fitness for players who haven't been used/coming back from injury as well as getting a look at the fringe players in the squad.

I'm expecting a tough match away to Lechia but we make a flying start when Sanogo heads in a Rapa cross. We are playing well and looking good up to the point that Helik ruins the match for everyone with a shocking two footed tackle from nowhere. I have to sacrifice a forward as we try to hold on for not just a good chunk of the first half but all the second as well. Lechia equalise with virtually the last kick of the half and then pull away in the second half as we struggle not just with 10 men but injuries as well as the midfield seems to be made of glass.

Injuries continue as Budzinski returns for one training session before being diagnosed with knee tendonitis which will end his season while Sanogo (twisted ankle) will be a big miss up front. I'm also still searching for the best balance in tactics & its not easy with all the comings & goings from the first eleven. I opt to drop the wingers back and play 4141 which works well as we have the better of the play. Young Slovakian star Kozak has the runner role as I look for him to support the attack and he excels giving us the lead from the edge of the box before the break. With Listkowski struggling up front I'm thinking he is more suited to a wide role while winger, Fulop looks more like a forward to me so I switch them round. It works better and when Fulop drops off the front creating space for Kozak to attack he plays him in with Kozak confidently drilling into the far corner. Overall a solid game where we limited Wisla Plock and took our chances to chalk up a needed win to end the month.

h00t91L.png

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

December 2020

TeGBp7d.png

Not sure what sort of training the coaches are doing but Letniowski (ML) is next on the treatment table as we travel for a tough midweek match against Lech. I stick with the 4141 as we look to limit them and try to nick something. Lech have the better of the first half but with no chances of note they take the lead when a ball is allowed to drift across the box with Klups the only one reacting to it. We level before the break though when a drilled cross into a packed box sees Kozak get his foot to it directing in. Its more of the same in the second half with few chances at either end. We survive a panic moment in the box when we fail to clear a corner before late magic from Pesic sees him ghost inside the fullback before standing the ball up to the far post for Zwolinski to nod in, the whole stadium is shocked when he heads it back across goal wide of the far post.

Away to Wisla Krakow we are under pressure for much of the first half and just can't handle Yazalde who scores a quickfire brace midway through. I switch to wingbacks in the second half as we look to take the game to them but we lack a cutting edge and get caught on the break. Fulop comes off the bench to give us late hope as he slots one in before putting another on a plate for Zwolinski but he again misses. By the time Dankowski pulls a shot past the post I can't help thinking it could have been so different if we had played like this from the start.

Last match before the winter break and we are home to Piast who are 8th in the league. Despite that we are favourites and could do with a win. A scrappy match sees a couple of half chances our way that I'm not surprised don't go in before Stachowiak gets us out of jail saving Piast's only good chance of the match. I probably suddenly be surprised that it takes a mistake to trouble the scoreboard as their keeper drops a corner in front of 19yo Mostwik. As they push for an equaliser Kozak, Fulop & Zwolinski all miss good chances to kill the match off but this time it doesn't matter as we hold on.

uxHaZb9.png

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

Winter Break (January 2021)

***Player News***

Two players have returned from loan spells and I'm hoping they have a part to play in the main squad. In terms of the squad limits Pazler is a direct replacement for the loan player I released a few months ago while Jaroch will probably take the place of either Chvedukas (MC) or Pach (DR) both of whom I'm planning to release at the end of the season.

Jan Pazler (29yo Czech AML)

Has been at the club for three years and was a regular but performances were poor. His six month loan spell back in the Czech Republic First Division was a little better but I'm hoping to get more out of him. He is a right footed player who players on the left but my aim is to retrain him to play either on the right or up front (already competent). He should make a decent right winger but may make an even better forward and improve our goalscoring.

Gracjan Jaroch (22yo Polish ST)

A Pogon youth product who has never made the breakthrough to the first team. He has had three spells out on loan, most recently in Iceland where he scored 15 goals in 34 appearances. Not quite first team material yet but should be a decent squad player with room to improve. With Zwolinski & Listkowski struggling to contribute I'll look to give him a chance but it will have to wait as he is out with a torn hamstring for another couple of months.

***Transfer News***

Both our DMs are on loan but Vladimir Aytov's contract ends in the summer. An injury has restricted his time on the field so far but the coach reports are good. His long list of pros include being professional, consistent & enjoying big matches with next to no weaknesses. With my scouts not finding any DMs that come close I make a move for him on a bosman and he is happy to sign up:

Vladimir Aytov (24yo Bulgarian DM, MC/DC) – Signed on a bosman (Joins July)

***Transfer Window***

Urm, quiet.

In terms of interest only a few were attracting any:

Adam Stachowiak (34yo Polish GK) – Minor interest from Vancouver (MLS)

Jan Pazler (30yo Czech AML) – Minor interest from Al-Ra'ed (Saudi Arabia)

Yaya Sanogo (28yo French ST) – Minor interest from Legia (Ekstraklasa) & Sheff Wed (English Championship)

In the end the only offers I get are a few loan ones. I reject one for young striker Jaroch who I want to keep as backup but a couple of reserves go out for the rest of the season.

In terms of buying players there is very little money and the wage budget is pushed to the limits, at least until I can release some at the end of the season. There is also next to no space in the squad so anyone I sign will have to take the place of someone else. So basically very little chance of adding to the squad unless I can pick someone up cheap or on a free which I don't manage to do before the league gets back underway but there is still a couple of weeks of the window left (closes end of Feb)

***Squad News/Registration***

As well as the two loanees returning injuries have mostly cleared up with long term absentee, Denis Kolinger back from a broken ankle to bolster the defence.

As competitive games get going we have two serious injuries. Marcin Budzinski (MC/ST) was diagnosed with knee tendonitis before Xmas but might make it back for the last month of the season while Ivan Pesic (AMRL/ST) fractured his skull in the friendlies and definitely won't be back before the summer.

In terms of squad registration I've registered 24 players. I left out Pesic as well as backup DR, Pach while adding both the loanees that returned (Pazler & Jaroch). Talented youngsters Mostwik (DC) & Kozak (MC) don't need to be registered while I've left one gap just in case I do sign someone.

***Friendlies***

My AM kept us busy by organising no less than nine. Most were against Polish first & second division sides but we did have two big ones at home against Slovacko (Czech First Division) & Wolfsberger AC (Austrian Premier Division).

Results were a little mixed as I struggled to keep complacency under control. It ended with defeats against Odra Opole & Chrobry which was maybe a godsend in hindsight as our play improved afterwards.

Overall I got a good feel for the squad with young midfielders Kowalczyk & Kozak establishing themselves as first choice alongside either of the loan DMs. Up front no-one seems a good fit to partner Sanogo but I'll keep working on it while Pazler actually looks fairly comfortable on the left despite being heavily right footed. In defence Kolinger looks to be competing with Helik to partner Wieteska while Amanovic has looked solid on the left after returning from injury.

35ym3Ll.png

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

February 2021

***Transfer News***

The transfer window ended as quietly as it had begun, at least for me. I did keep the DOF busy though as seven of the younger players went out on loan while a reserve DL moved on for free (I was going to release him in the summer anyway).

1EI8X5e.png

We kicked off after the winter break with a big match away to one of our rivals. They were just above us in the league but it was a game we should be winning if we play well. It ended up with Arka shooting themselves in the foot as they saw red for a shocking two footed tackle just before the break before gifting us a penalty just after. We got a cushion from a corner when Wieteska flicked on before Kolinger headed back across for Piotrowski to tap in and it was needed as Arka replied immediately from the edge of the box. We help on for a fairly comfortable win but it wasn't a great performance.

Next up is another match we should be winning but I had a problem on the left where both Pazler & Letniowski were recovering from knocks. Thankfully with the game on the Monday they had an extra couple of days which means Letniowski could at least start. It seemed to be going our way when Kolinger headed down a wide freekick for Sanogo to smash in but Bruk-Bet's 41311 narrow formation caused us all sorts of issues as they played keep ball. They were level through a shot from the edge of the box before taking the lead with a smart turn & shot. We quickly equalised when Kolinger played Listkowski into the channel but thats as good as it got. I switched to wingbacks in the second half but we just couldn't break down their defence with chances few & far between.

We finished the month at home to Legia which I was expecting to be tough but it ended up being worse. It was basically attack vs defence in the first half where best we could do was try to limit their chances. Overall we defended fairly well until we conceded twice from corners while inbetween Stachowiak saved a penalty given away by Kolinger. I tweaked the tactics for the second half as I looked to put them under more pressure and play more direct. This worked better as both Pazler & Fulop missed good chances to get us back into the match but in the end it was a disappointing defeat.

Q81yHmf.png

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

March 2021

***Youth Intake***

Back to a more normal time of the season. A bit of a mixed bag and they all need work but there is some potential. GK, Marcin Bach & DR, Sebastian Kwiek will hope to make the first team in the future while my staff are really excited by winger, Adam Kosiorowski.

8NvO5Jn.png

waMm64C.png

F8MxT0f.png

Up front Zwolinski had been complaining about a lack of action so to keep him match sharp I gave him a chance along with Stepcic in midfield and they both played a big role. First Zwolinski headed a cross against the bar before winning a penalty as he went for the rebound. I wished I had left him on the bench though as he stepped up to take it himself before seeing his weak effort saved. Stepcic on the other hand is finding a place in the team and he showed what he could do firing in from 25 yards. A missed header saw Zwolinski redeem himself as he just about found the far corner while Makowski headed in a free kick in the second half to seal a comfortable win.

Against Jagiellonia I'm not surprised that we were forced to defend early on but the match swung our way with a quickfire double. First Kozak drilled in from the edge of the box before a loose touch saw Sanogo steal the ball from a defender before calmly clipping over the keeper. Zwolinski made it two in two during the second half as he headed in a Zuta cross and that just about killed off the match. Makowski picked up a second yellow as we finished with ten men but we had already done enough to get the points albeit at the cost of Wieteska who pulled his hamstring.

A tight match against one of our rivals followed, an even game saw both teams test the keepers but there was just one key chance in the match. It came in the second half when the Cracovia keeper came for a cross but a defender got there first, the ball fell to Pazler with an empty net to aim for but his shot came back off the bar, thankfully Listkowski was there to tap in the rebound.

The month finished early due to International duty and I rotated the team against Slask who are struggling towards the bottom. I gave 20yo Mostwik a start at the back and it proved to be a good choice when an early freekick was squared to Kozak on the edge of the box, his shot rattled the bar but Mostwik was right place, right time to slot in. It ended up being enough to win but much of that was down to the defence who limited Slask to just one late half chance.

UQSC5zD.png

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

April 2021

Four matches to go before the league splits and four wins last month saw us build a six point gap to 9th meaning we stand a good chance of being in the Championship group & safe from relegation. The next two games are against clubs towards the bottom before we finish with two tough matches.

ferZQQV.png

Korona might be fighting relegation but they gave us a battle as we were forced to defend for much of the first half. I had to tweak the tactics to try to get some possession and it eventually worked as Kowalczyk slipped Sanogo through to calmly give us the lead before the break. We were better in the second half and Fulop doubled the lead when Sanogo climbed between defenders to flick the ball onto him. Subs let Korona back into the match as we miss Sanogo's physical presence up front and they pulled one back which led to an end to end finish with half chances for both sides. We held on though to keep the six point gap to 9th place.

Home to Miedz should have been an easy home win and that looked to be the case when Zwolinski slotted in an early penalty but Miedz were quickly level through a quality direct free kick. It nearly got worse when Zuta gave up a soft penalty but Leszczynski tipped it over the bar while Zwolinski looked to get us back on track with a second before the break. Miedz were much the better team in the second half though Bilinski scoring a brace to end our winning run.

Two matches to go and other results have gone our way which means we go into them knowing even if we lose both we will still finish 8th. That means we'll avoid relegation and play in the Championship group. With nothing to play for I made the choice to give game time to the likes of 20yo Mostwik in defence while Jaroch has a chance to prove he is capable of replacing Zwolinski up front next year. As to the game well the defence gave it away in the first few minutes with their inability to mark as they gift Zaglebie not just one but two goals. Once the match settled we actually played some decent football going forwards with goals from Sanogo & Jaroch pulling us level. Another gift from our defence saw Zaglebie back in the lead before they added a fourth in injury time as we pressed for an equaliser. After the match every member of the defence gets warned.

Home to 3rd placed Lechia in the last game and I didn't expect much after the last two matches. As it turns out the fringe players had a good game with Lechia not creating a single chance. At the other end we had a couple but in a tight match a set piece decided it as Dankowski rifled in a free kick from just outside the box.

ZBLXmdM.png

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

May 2021

After 30 matches the league splits in two with teams carrying forward 50% of the points earned so far into the either the Championship or Relegation Group where each team plays the others one more time. At the end of it the bottom two teams in the Relegation Group go down while the top three in the Championship Group have Europe to aim for.

For us finishing in the top half means we can't be relegated while with all the points won so far halved it means we are within touching distance of Europe although we do have seven tough games ahead of us.

iUZL7MK.png   35mSX5W.png

uzwdjrP.png

We finished the league at home to Lechia and start the Championship Group away to them but can't produce the same defensive performance. A corner saw them take the lead before Kowalczyk equalised but a goal just before the break and another from a corner in the second half meant we slipped to a disappointing defeat.

Home to Jagiellonia we defend well but find ourselves behind when a 30 yard free kick somehow finds its way past Leszczynski when it looked an easy save. A more attacking stance in the second half sees us mount some offence and Sanogo directs in Rapa's cross to pull us level and while we finish the stronger a draw was probably a fair result.

With wingbacks not really working that well I've been training a new 4132 tactic (1*DM & 3*MCs). I put it into action away to Lech and it works really well. It looks solid in defence while also giving us more going forwards. Lech take their only real chance of the first half while Sanogo volleys in Rapa's cross in the second as the team earn a deserved draw.

Its one step forwards, two steps backwards at the moment as we are behind to Wisla Krakow to the first shot of the match, a nothing shot from outside the box. Despite having four men in the middle we also can't keep or win possession which is an issue. Second half I go more direct which improves things but despite a few half chances we can't find an equaliser. Not really bothered about losing but its so frustrating to concede early and see the players not putting in any effort.

Home to Wisla Plock the team turn up and put in a good performance controlling much of the match. Wisla Plock hit the post from a free kick in the first half but thats as close as they come. Despite the possession & shots we lack a little quality in the final third and it doesn't look like a goal will come until late shots from Listkowski & Aytov find the net as we finally chalk up a win.

Sigh, from a good performance to the worst possible result although we didn't play that badly. Legia's stats were 15 shots (8 from distance), one clear chance & two half chances but they somehow managed seven goals mostly helped by us. There was at least one OG in there, two deflected shots, one from distance, one from a break & one that was blocked sending the keeper the wrong way leaving a tap in. The summer really can't come soon enough.

We finished away to Zaglebie and for around 70 minutes the team looked like they were already on holiday. Despite that they defended well with Zaglebie nicking a goal just before the break. In the later stages the team finally wake up with Jaroch confidently firing in when played through while Kozak had a real chance to win it moments later but pulled his shot wide of the post.

3mK1v4m.png

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

2020/21 Season Summary

Polish Ekstraklasa

The season has been something of a blur if I'm honest and I don't remember too much about it except for our results. For the most part it seems like the cream rose to the top with the teams expected to challenge ending up in the top half at the end of the main season and those expected to struggle facing the relegation group.

3mK1v4m.png

In the Championship Group the title was between Legia & Lech with Legia comfortably defending the title lifting the trophy for the 15th time. The big shock though was Wisla Krakow winning five of their seven matches to overhaul Lechia & Jagiellonia claiming 3rd and a place in Europe.

jyvbCWi.png

Only carrying 50% of your points forward makes a big difference and gives a lot of teams a chance in the final group stage. Slask were a prime example of that this season, six points adrift at the bottom after 30 games they won four of their seven matches which was enough for them to survive relegation. Miedz struggled for much of the season and ended bottom while Piast crashed & burned picking up just four points in the relegation group which saw them slip from 11th after 30 games to relegation.

7K5lqAc.png

Polish FA Cup

Pogon fell in the 3rd round before I took over but they were in good company as Legia, Lechia, Lech & Wisla Krakow also went out at the same stage. With the draw opening up Jagiellonia were probably favourites but they crashed out in the Semis as the two teams relegated from the Ekstraklasa contested the final.  For Miedz it was their second final having won in 1992 but they came up short as Piast lifted the trophy for the first time.

IbrgKTG.png

Club Review

Ekstraklasa – 7th

FA Cup - 3rd Round

When I took over the media expected us to finish 7th and who knew they were right for a change. As for the board they were aiming to avoid relegation so were delighted with finishing in the Championship Group. In the FA Cup the team came up a round short but as I wasn't in charge its not my problem.

Financially though I have a problem, last season the club had a small loss of £150k which was a loss of £600k before transfers but this season is much worse. The total loss is around £1.7m while we made a £200k profit on transfers which means the total loss was much closer to £2m. Income is slightly down (mainly prize money & TV Revenue) while expenses have increased particularly wages & bonuses to players & staff. Cut backs will need to be made I suspect going forwards.

Squad Review

pgcuYOi.png   3AbbsdH.png

Goalkeepers

When I took over the clear number one was Stachowiak while Leszczynski had been at the club for over a year without making it onto the pitch.  Stachowiak did ok initially but is declining rapidly and his performances haven't been good since Xmas.  Leszczynski took over and while he did ok he really isn't good enough to be first choice.  Ideally we need a new number one which would leave Stachowiak surplus to requirements but with a year left on his contract we might have to muddle through next season as best we can.

Adam Stachowiak (34yo Polish GK) - 24 apps, 32 conceded, 7 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.65

Rafal Leszczynski (29yo Polish GK) – 15 apps, 20 conceded, 7 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.83

Fullbacks

The fullback area is a strong one for us with four good players.  On the right we have two who can stake a claim to be starters and I thought it would be difficult to keep them happy but so far, so good.  Fan favourite, Rapa has been my preferred choice but despite being solid his performances have been on a downward trend the last couple of years which maybe shouldn't be a surprise now that he is the wrong side of 30yo.  Dankowski was a big money signing last summer by the previous manager as a long term replacement for Rapa but his ability to play a number of positions seems to hamper his performances a little.  He hasn't had a bad first season but will need to step it up a little else he'll get stuck as a squad player. On the left Zuta joined on a bosman last summer and has been steady in his first season while his international team mate, Amanovic turned out better than expected after recovering from injury. I was planning to release Amanovic but he produced some decent performances on the pitch and took a large wage cut to sign a new contract which puts him more in line with other squad players.

Cornel Rapa (31yo Romanian DR) – 26 (3) apps, 0 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 7.13

Kamil Dankowski (24yo Polish DR/DL, MR) – 24 (4) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.96

Leonard Zuta (28yo Macedonian DL) – 23 (4) apps, 1 goal, 4 assists, Ave Rating: 7.08

Aleksa Amanovic (24yo Macedonian DL) – 11 apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.89

Central Defence

Injury issues saw quite a bit of rotation early on but after Xmas the team settled down a little more. Kolinger returned from a broken ankle to be the pick of the defenders although he is fairly limited, basically big & strong in the air but lacks pace and technical skill. Rotating with him were mainly Helik who was steady & Wieteska who looked good early on but suffered with either pressure or inconsistency later in the season. Fojut provided decent cover early on but has declined significantly since I took over and will be released in the summer while his replacement Mostwik just didn't perform despite having the basics. He'll be given more chances next season but I'm starting to suspect he'll never make first team material.

Denis Kolinger (27yo German DC) – 22 apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 7.22

Michal Helik (25yo Polish DC/DR) – 24 (2) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.93

Mateusz Wieteska (24yo Polish DC/DM) – 23 (2) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.84

Jedrzej Mostwik (20yo Polish DC) – 10 (4) apps, 3 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.65

Jaroslaw Fojut (33yo Polish DC) – 6 (5) apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.77

Midfield

The middle of the pitch was overstocked and disorganised for much of the season as I searched for the right combination. The defensive side is easy, we had two players in on loan who shared the workload – Makowski & Aytov. Makowski is a little more physical and translated that into slightly better performances while Aytov has a bit more skill with the ball. Aytov joins on a bosman this summer and I hope I can get a little more out of him next year. Further forward I turned to the younger players who had overtaken the more experienced options but it didn't really go to plan. Kozak arguably settled the best after joining from his home town club in Slovakia, a left footed runner he looked comfortable playing the attacking role getting forwards to support the strikers while I'm also training him to play on the left. Homegrown Kowalczyk I felt should be sharing Kozak's role but my staff felt he was a better playmaker, he played mostly as that but was also mostly disappointing and needs to improve. Piotrowski was the 3rd of my main options and I thought he looked a decent DLP but was another who didn't turn up on the pitch. This left me with three fringe players. Stepcic & Chvedukas have been a regular part of the midfield in previous years but never looked that good and as they have started to decline its time for them to move on. Budzinski I did have plans for but three different injuries have seen him miss nearly six months of this season and its now questionable if he'll return to the first team. He has a year left on his contract but moving on might be the best for everyone.

Rafal Makowski (24yo Polish DM/DC, MC) – 27 (7) apps, 1 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.93

Vladimir Aytov (25yo Bulgarian DM, MC/DC) – 19 (10) apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.81

Jozef Kozak (20yo Slovakian AMC/MC) – 29 (1) apps, 5 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.80

Sebastian Kowalczyk (22yo Polish MC/DM, AMC) – 26 (5) apps, 1 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 6.75

Jakub Piotrowski (23yo Polish MC/DM, MR) – 15 (10) apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.65

Valentino Stepcic (31yo Croatian AMC/MRC, ST) – 4 (3) apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.90

Karolis Chvedukas (30yo Lithuanian MC/DM, AMC) – 0 (1) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.90

Marcin Budzinski (30yo Polish MC, AMC, ST) – 1 (8) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.44

Wingers

Much like midfield we were a bit overstocked although there was a lot of utility and there needed to be for the matches when we didn't use wingers. Also like midfield no-one impressed and staked a claim to be a regular starter. On the right Fulop was the main choice, I thought he looked more like a creative striker but he did perform better on the right where he was fairly solid. Backing him up was a creative striker who looks more like a winger to me. This time I seemed to be proven right as Listkowski's performances on the wing were steady while he looked poor up front. Both WIP I feel as I look to get more out of them next year. The left saw three players share the work. Letniowski was the only natural looking winger and was fairly steady out wide but his performances weren't as good when he was asked to play infield in the narrower formations. I didn't get much look at Pesic as he fractured his skull around Xmas but from what I saw he didn't seem a good fit on the left and was average at best. Add in the injury and he is really another player I would like to move on. Replacing him for the second half of the season was Pazler who had been out on loan. I had high hopes for Pazler despite him being right footed. I thought he could do a job on the left and looked like a decent striker but disappointing was again the word.

Istvan Fulop (31yo Hungarian MR/ST) – 21 (4) apps, 2 goals, 7 assists, Ave Rating: 6.90

Marcin Listkowski (23yo Polish ST/AMR) – 12 (9) apps, 3 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.76

Juliusz Letniowski (23yo Polish MLC/MR) – 9 (9) apps, 0 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.77

Ivan Pesic (29yo Croatian AMRL/ST) – 12 (2) apps, 3 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.70

Jan Pazler (30yo Czech AML/ST) – 4 (3) apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.53

Forwards

We had lots of options up front but with Listkowski on the right just two natural ones initially while I added Jaroch to the squad in January when he returned from loan. The bulk of the work was carried by Sanogo, his average doesn't look great but he was better than it suggests with eight of his twelve goals coming after the winter break, perhaps he had a bad start to the season. The main alternative was Zwolinski but he doesn't really fit my tactics that well and didn't take the chances that came his way. I was going to release him but there is value in a home grown squad player who is fairly cheap, especially when there is no money to replace him so he stays for a little longer. That left Jaroch who returned from loan during the winter break. I gave him a real chance to prove himself towards the end of the season and perhaps replace Zwolinski next season but he never really took his chance.

Yaya Sanogo (28yo French ST/AML) – 30 (2) apps, 12 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.81

Lukasz Zwolinski (28yo Polish ST) – 8 (13) apps, 6 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.77

Gracjan Jaroch (23yo Polish ST) – 5 (2) apps, 2 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.71

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

2021/22 Pre-Season

***Players Out***

Nine players left the club at the end of their contracts from the reserve & youth teams as I start to trim the excess. From the main squad we had two players on loan, Makowski returned to Legia while Aytov joins us permanently on a bosman. I also released four other players:

Jaroslaw Fojut (33yo Polish DC) – Released at end of contract

Time at Pogon: 6 years, Apps: 168, Goals: 4, Assists: 6

A former first team player who found age catching up with him.

Valentino Stepcic (31yo Croatian AMC/MRC, ST) – Released at end of contract

Time at Pogon: 4 years, Apps: 98, Goals: 9, Assists: 3

Was a regular starter a couple of years ago but as the squad improves he had lost his place.

Karolis Chvedukas (30yo Lithuanian MC/DM, AMC) – Released at end of contract

Time at Pogon: 4 years, Apps: 40, Goals: 2, Assists: 0

Four years as a very average backup is more than enough.

Jan Pazler (30yo Czech AML/ST) – Released at end of contract

Time at Pogon: 4 years, Apps: 108, Goals: 5, Assists: 7

Had plenty of chances but was average at best and most of the time disappointing.

With finances not looking good I'm aware I might have to sacrifice one or two players to balance the books.

The first to test my resolve is Videoton (Hungarian Division 1) who make an offer for Istvan Fulop (31yo Hungarian MR/ST). £220k rising to £325k isn't enough to tempt me so early in the window though. That was soon followed by a similar offer for Sebastian Kowalczyk (22yo Polish MC/DM, AMC) which I also reject.

Newly promoted First Division champions, Zaglebie Sosnowiec are next to try their luck as they bid £210k for Marcin Listkowski (23yo Polish ST/MR) but he is another I want to keep for at least another season.

I do accept one offer though when I get a bid of £90k for Marcin Budzinski. He missed a significant amount of last season with three different injuries, has declined partly because of them and is on a big wage. All in all its a good deal as we make a profit on a player that was bought a year ago for £63k and we have a young midfielder ready to step up from the reserves to replace him.

Marcin Budzinski (31yo Polish MC, AMC/DM) – Sold to Slask Wroclaw (Ekstraklasa) for £90k

Time at Pogon: 1 year, Apps: 6, Goals: 0, Assists: 0

***Players In***

The board set the budgets and I have exactly nothing to spend on transfers. I have been given a larger wage budget though and with adjustments I can probably create enough transfer budget to pay agent fees to bring in a couple of free players.

My priority is a DM but after that I'm not sure. I have 22 players in the main squad and a number of younger ones who are on the fringe. What we lack though is quality, we have to many squad/backup players and not enough first teamers.

In the end though pre-season is short in Poland and I can't find any players who I want to bring in. Six weeks of the transfer window left though and I'll keep looking.

***Friendlies***

My AM didn't make it easy as he arranged for us to host a few big names. A decent performance saw us restrict Russian Premier Division side, Spartak Moscow, a mistake by Stachowiak gifting them a narrow win. That was followed by good performances against three Danish Superliga sides before we finished with an easy win over one of our feeder clubs.

De0jt8b.png

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

2021/22 Season Preview

Polish Ekstraklasa

No real change from last season, Champion's Legia are the favourites while Lech, Lechia & Jagiellonia are the expected challengers. We are expected to be solid in midtable while the promoted teams are expected to struggle.

KiHIBNP.png

Board Expectations

The board have upped their expectations to match the media expectations.

Polish Ekstraklasa – Top Half

Polish FA Cup – Quarter Finals

Pogon Szczecin Squad

We had too many players last year so the main changes have been trimming the squad which will allow some of the younger players a chance for game time. Aytov joined us on a bosman while I've promoted one player from the reserves but there are several others knocking on the door. I'm also still looking for players that will improve the squad and with six weeks left in the transfer window I'm hoping I can pick up a couple before it closes.

Goalkeepers

No change from last year which is a problem. Stachowiak is clearly declining while Leszczynski just doesn't have enough quality to be a number one. Both seem prone to errors which cost us goals and the friendlies were no different. So far though I haven't found a good enough keeper to be our new number one but I'll keep looking. On a more positive note we have three really talented youngsters including 17yo Jozef Hinc who was being watched last season by French Ligue 1 sides but they need time.

Adam Stachowiak (34yo Polish GK)

Rafal Leszczynski (29yo Polish GK) – 1 Cap

Fullbacks

Fullback again probably our strongest area. Rapa & Dankowski on the right, Zuta & Amanovic on the left. We also have talented youngsters – 18yo Radoslaw Bochenek will hope to make the breakthrough on the left in the next couple of years but on the right it feels like I'm already holding 19yo Radoslaw Pustelnik back.

Leonard Zuta (28yo Macedonian DL) – 46 Caps

Aleksa Amanovic (24yo Macedonian DL) – 1 Cap

Cornel Rapa (31yo Romanian DR) – 5 Caps

Kamil Dankowski (24yo Polish DR/DL, MR)

Central Defence

Shaky is perhaps the word, on a good day we'll be fine, if it goes bad, it could be really bad. Kolinger was a star last year after coming back from injury, Helik should be steady while I'm hoping Wieteska finds the form he had when I took over. 20yo Mostwik provides cover and there have been signs in the friendlies he is starting to find his feet. I've also been testing Wieteska as cover for Aytov at DM which means I think we need one more who can play DC, DM or both. There are a couple in the reserves but there are also question marks as to whether they can do a job for us at this level.

Denis Kolinger (27yo German DC)

Michal Helik (25yo Polish DC/DR)

Mateusz Wieteska (24yo Polish DC/DM)

Jedrzej Mostwik (20yo Polish DC)

Central Midfield

Midfield has seen the most changes as three older players left while one has been promoted from the reserves. Vladimir Aytov was on loan last season and joins us on a bosman to be our main DM while cover will probably come from either Piotrowski or Wieteska. In front of the DM I've been striving for balance. Kozak is a clear attacking midfielder and I feel like Kowalczyk is the same although my staff still think he is a DLP. Piotrowski can play as the DLP or DM while 21yo Blazej Starzycki has been promoted to provide cover as either a DLP or runner. There are also a couple of younger players knocking on the door. 18yo Arkadiusz Bartosik still needs a little work but there are signs he could be at least a squad DM but the real excitement is around 18yo Daniel Kolodziejczyk who could be a real star in a few years.

Vladimir Aytov (25yo Bulgarian DM, MC/DC)

Jakub Piotrowski (23yo Polish MC/DM, MR)

Sebastian Kowalczyk (22yo Polish MC/DM, AMC)

Jozef Kozak (20yo Slovakian AMC/MC)

Blazej Starzycki (21yo Polish MC/AMC)

Wingers

Fulop is the main winger on the right with natural striker Listkowski the main alternative while on the left I'm hoping Letniowski can step up to claim the starting role which leaves Pesic providing cover. Ideally though Pesic is on his way out and I would be happy to cash in on him. This would leave worst case scenario as recalling 23yo Mackowski from his loan while at best I find a ML to challenge Letniowski. I also have 17yo Michal Mioduszewski who looks like a future first teamer on the right but he needs a few more years to develop.

Istvan Fulop (31yo Hungarian AMR/ST) – 4 Caps

Marcin Listkowski (23yo Polish ST/AMR)

Juliusz Letniowski (23yo Polish MLC/MR)

Ivan Pesic (29yo Croatian AML/AMR, ST)

Strikers

Sanogo is a key player for us and our main striker with Zwolinski & Jaroch providing the main alternative options. There are four or five younger players who could potentially step up in the next few years with 18yo Mariusz Adamkiewicz probably at the head of the queue and he has gone on loan this year for experience.

Yaya Sanogo (28yo French ST/AML)

Lukasz Zwolinski (28yo Polish ST)

Gracjan Jaroch (23yo Polish ST)

20 hours ago, ClemB said:

I read this thread saturday and sunday i saw a "Pogon Szczecin" bus with the logo and colors of the club in London ahah.

Wow, wonder what they were doing in London.

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

July/August 2021

***Transfer Window Special Report***

***Players Out***

What started as a pretty organised & planned window turned to **** during August as I fought to keep players while also trying to scout options to bring in. There was so much going on off the pitch I'm not sure how I found time to play the matches.

Anyway, lets start with the easy ones - Several of the reserves/U18s went out on loan while the next player I sold was a fairly easy decision:

Patryk Adamczuk (23yo Polish DRC) – Sold to Zaglebie Sosnowiec (Ekstraklasa) for £47.5k (£63k)

Time at Pogon: 8 years, Apps: 26, Goals: 1, Assists: 0

Former youth player who was never quite good enough and its well past time he moved on. I did consider registering him as a backup but not for long when an offer came in.

So far I had only got rid of fringe or backup/reserve players but once the league got underway the problems started and by the end of the window four of the first team squad had left for differing reasons:

Gracjan Jaroch (23yo Polish ST) – Sold to Gornik Leczna (Ekstraklasa) for £36k (£45k)

Time at Pogon: 8 years, Apps: 7, Goals: 2, Assists: 0

I had real plans to use Jaroch as a rotation option up front but when two clubs made offers for him his agent told me in no uncertain terms that he wanted to leave. I'm not exactly happy about it but he wasn't anything special and should be fairly easy to replace.

Kamil Dankowski (25yo Polish DR/DL, MR) – Sold to Arsenal Tula (Russian Premier Division) for £1m (£1.3m)

Time at Pogon: 1 year, Apps: 27, Goals: 1, Assists: 1

I have to take part of the blame for this one but it was a calculated decision. Basically Arsenal Tula kept making offers and I eventually caved negotiating one, they accepted my demands, maybe I should have asked for more. Anyway, the club needed the money, it was a good offer, we had two good DRs, we have a talented youngster in the wings and I had been scouting a really good free agent since the beginning of the window.

Leonard Zuta (29yo Macedonian DL) – Sold to KGHM Zaglebie (Ekstraklasa) for £625k (£850k)

Time at Pogon: 1 year, Apps: 29, Goals: 1, Assists: 4

The board took the blame for this one as they sold him over my head, I never even got a chance to give an opinion. I'm far from happy with it, they sold one of our best players, the price wasn't great and they sold him to a league rival.

I kinda thought that was it but a few days before the transfer deadline Michal Helik came to me about being allowed to join Legia. He already had a release clause in his contract for foreign clubs so I felt it only fair to allow him to leave if Legia made a good offer. There were a few foreign clubs interested as well but Legia made an offer and he signed for them at the start of deadline day.

Michal Helik (25yo Polish DC) – Sold to Legia (Ekstraklasa) for £1.1m (£1.4m)

Time at Pogon: 4 years, Apps: 107, Goals: 4, Assists: 5

No point in keeping players who want to leave, its just a case of finding the right time & offer. Given I had already been scouting DCs I felt I could get a decent replacement in before the window closed and the money was good.

Even deadline day wasn't quiet on the sale front as I rejected two cheap offers from Slask (Ekstraklasa) for goalkeeper Adam Stachowiak (34yo Polish GK). He was a player I had pencilled in as possibly selling at the start of the window but I just couldn't find a decent replacement.

I did give myself a problem though as Burnley (English Premier Division) made an offer for Jan Kozak (20yo Slovakian AMC) with seven hours to go in the window. His agent made it clear he wanted to leave but the offer wasn't great and I didn't have a good replacement lined up. I rejected the first offer and they came back again. They negotiated to around £600k rising to £1.4m with two hours to go but I can't accept at that late stage with no chance of getting a player in. Jan isn't happy, his agent isn't happy and I suspect I'll be forced to sell him in the next couple of windows but for now I just hope he doesn't unsettle the rest of the squad. Fellow midfielders Kowalczyk & Piotrowski side with him and I hold a meeting. I tell them the squad would be worse without him which they agree with and seem to go away happy.

***Players In***

Bringing players in is proving to be a problem with those that would improve the squad not interested in joining. The DOF failed in attempts to sign an American winger released from Lechia and a Croatian striker released by Lech.

To provide cover I initially decided to promote two players from the reserves – Rafal Grzegorczyk (20yo Polish DC) & Arkadiusz Bartosik (18yo Polish DM) but by the end of the window they were back in the reserves as I finally manage to bring some players in.

Five players ended up joining and first up was an attacking player. I was looking for a striker to replace Jaroch but with a lack of options I ended up with a ML which means Pesic probably switching to the right with Listkowski providing cover up front.

Tomasz Wrobel (20yo Polish ML) – Unattached

Legia seem to have a production line of talent. Wrobel was released without having played a match for the first team. Ambitious, professional, decent basics and plenty of potential according to my scouts. Should be a decent squad player and if my scouts are right a future first teamer.

zFhoww6.png

Next was an organised replacement for Dankowski. I had been tracking him for a while and would have signed him months ago had we not had two 4* DRs already:

Luca Gucek (22yo Slovenian DR) – Unattached

A youth player for NK Krsko (Slovenian Second League) he joined Real Betis (Spanish La Liga) for £73k in 2015. Since then he has racked up nearly 200 appearances whilst on loan at five different lower league Spanish sides. Despite impressing and being a regular Slovenian U21 international he left/was released at the end of last season. In truth he is very similar to Dankowski, marginally more defensive perhaps but thats no bad thing.

BRi2Tkx.png

Third on the list was a replacement for Zuta. I didn't have a massive amount of options scouted but one stood out as the best of the bunch, especially as he is Polish which helps with our nation trained quota.

Tymoteusz Puchacz (22yo Polish DL/ML) – Unattached

A product of the Lech academy but most of his 100+ appearances have been on loan. Two years in the first division were followed by spells in the Ekstraklasa with GKS Tychy & then Miedz last season before Lech released him. A former Polish U19 international he isn't the complete article quite yet but he isn't far off. Lots of strengths while determination is his only real weakness and I'll work on it. He should at least make a good squad player and with a little luck maybe a bit more.

bmAyQCw.png

Finally the panic of deadline day hit, Helik left and I needed at least one DC to replace him although I was looking to add another. I had been working the scouts hard but they hadn't completed all the reports so I was flying partially blind and running out of time. On top of that my DOF wasn't helping as he failed to agree deals with two different DCs. I didn't have time to argue, especially as a third option had gone on loan elsewhere, so I took control myself. I couldn't rescue the first deal for a 20yo DC from Legia but I did manage to rescue the other but it did cost me extra in both transfer fee & wages:

Gerrit Nauber (29yo German DC) – Signed from Slask (Ekstraklasa) for £175k (£200k)

Started his career at Osnabruck (German Second Division) before quickly being picked up by Leverkusen (German First Division). Never made the breakthrough and after being released spent six years with Lotte in the German lower divisions. Slask paid £120k for him in 2017 where he grew into a solid first teamer. Probably not as good as Helik but more rounded and should be a solid squad player. He has also played at DM before and with a little training could well be another option.

X0bCTMY.png

I have four DCs but with no solid options in the reserves/U18s and only Aytov providing cover I feel like we need one more option. With time running out a 30yo Lithuanian International DLC looks to be the only real option but he is more of a fullback than a DC. I switch to looking at DMs with the aim of using Aytov more at DC and the choices seem better. I like the look of a 28yo Dutch DM playing in Slovakia but my staff make me aware of another player whose name looks familiar. It takes a while for the penny to drop before I realise we had him on loan last season.

Rafal Makowski (25yo Polish DM/DC, MC) – Signed from Legia (Ekstraklasa) for £135k

Another product of one of the big three in Poland and another who never made the breakthrough. The last five years have all been spent on loan at other Ekstraklasa clubs including ourselves last season. A strong defensive player with a good attitude, lots of strengths and few weaknesses. My intent was perhaps to use Aytov in defence but Makowski probably the more likely to drop into the backline.

Ww0OORl.png

***Overall Thoughts***

A much busier window than I was expecting and it didn't always go my way. Overall I feel like I spent a lot of time fire fighting and chasing rather than being proactive. In the end though I think we've come out ok although I'm pretty sure it will take a while for the team to settle which may affect results on the pitch

I still feel like we need a striker & GK sooner rather than later but its going to have to wait while I also need to plan for Kozak potentially leaving in January.

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

July/August 2021

5DES4Bx.png

Not an easy start as we travel to Wisla Krakow who finished 3rd last season and we are missing players. Zwolinski & Helik are recovering from pre-season injuries while Dankowski is suspended. We make a poor start as we struggle to pass the ball but do settle before Ondrasek heads in a cross against the run of play. Kowalczyk misses two good chances to equalise before Sanogo breaks down the right crossing for Pesic to calmly slot in. Wisla are soon back in the lead as Ondrasek heads in another cross before Stachowiak flaps at a freekick leaving a tap in. Sanogo is the provider again as Kozak gives us a chance but we can't find an equaliser. Not exactly sure how Wisla scored three as we are unlucky not to take at least a point from the match.

With a two week gap we have time for a friendly to keep match sharpness up. Its a comfortable win in Austria with Pesic on the scoresheet again as he has started the season well.

Against Gornik we are the better team but they take their chances after being 1-0 down. Kozak earns us a deserved draw though when Pesic squares for him to slot in as once again the fullbacks let us down.

Away to Zaglebie next and our passing is terrible which leads to them dominating possession. Despite not creating anything they somehow score two (Direct freekick and long shot after Stachowiak is out of position) in the second half while we have three clear chances. Two fell to Zwolinski who saw the first saved and the second hit the post while Rupa put a far post header over the bar.

No wins from our first three matches really hurt our morale while we have four defenders suspended for the FA Cup match (Rupa, Kolinger, Wieteska & Mostwik), thankfully its against lower league opposition. 18yo Bartosik makes his debut at DM while Aytov drops back to join Helik in defence. I give Starzycki a start in midfield while new signing, Gucek also debuts at DR. A solid defensive performance sees Belchatow create nothing but we struggle for quality in the final third. We create two clear chances which both fall to Kozak but when he fails to put them away it takes a late penalty won by Aytov during a wide free kick to see us into the next round.

I was looking to build on the FA Cup win but home to Korona they come to defend and with both teams lacking confidence the defences are in control. It feels like both teams need a bit of luck to score and neither gets it as we have to settle for a point which feels like another two dropped.

We do get a bit of luck away to Zaglebie Sosnowiec though as Kowalczyk scores early with a weak shot after playing a one-two with Sanogo but Aytov shoots us in the foot as he picks up two yellows in the first half to reduce us to ten men. We ride our luck but Zaglebie Sosnowiec look more dangerous in the second half until I switch to a 432 formation to shore up the middle. The switch is soon followed by a second goal when Sanogo pressures a defender into a weak backpass when chasing a long ball nipping in ahead of the keeper. That seems to be that but a late goal sees a nervy last few minutes as we hold on for a much needed win.

The month ends at home to Chrobry, a game we should be winning but we seem to struggle to get the first goal against these defensive sides. We keep Chrobry to mostly shots from distance but one half chance is a poor return as we again have to settle for a 0-0.

jH96iaD.png

Just read through this entire thread over the past hour and wow! Loving the story so far! No idea why, but I have an affinity towards the country of Australia (I'm from USA) so seeing your career starting in Australia really caught my eyes. Your short tenure Wellington was quite impressive as hardware is never easy to come by. Unfortunately, your reign as the manager of Australia's international squad wasn't as promising. Still, it's impressive to have that honor at such an early point of your career. It seems like you have to take one step back to take two steps forward with Pogon but they are clearly in good hands. While I think finishing in the top-half of the table is still in reach after the transfer window, I fear that your inability to lure talent to Pogon may limit your ceiling with the club. Regardless, it's a journeyman career so the next stop on the journey can't be too far away.

Keep up the great work!

23 hours ago, R1zzo23 said:

I fear that your inability to lure talent to Pogon may limit your ceiling with the club. Regardless, it's a journeyman career so the next stop on the journey can't be too far away.

Keep up the great work!

Yeah, not impossible but I think it will be tough to bridge the gap between a mid table side and the likes of Lech, Legia & Lechia.

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

September 2021

Bzjy92T.png

With the International break I organised a friendly and I wanted decent opposition. Lokeren of the Belgium Pro League provided it and after a slow start we played well. The team built a comfortable 2-0 lead before again letting the opposition back in. Basically we seem to struggle when the opposition push forwards. On a positive note though Makowski slotted back in like he had never been away, Nauber & Gucek looked comfortable and Starzycki seems ready for this level of competition. The downside was that Mostwik again struggled while Wrobel seems to need a bit more time to develop on the left.

Away to Arka is another match we should be winning but we play terrible for much of it. Arka are by far the better team as we ride our luck at the back. Easily our worst performance of the season as the team just can't be bothered. Eventually with some tweaks we improve in the second half and should have stolen it on 80 minutes but Sanogo put his header over the bar.

More points are thrown away against our rivals, Cracovia as we gift them two first half chances when we just stand around watching them pass their way through the defence with no pressure. The team improve in the second half but Aytov's header is too little, too late. We also ended with ten men as Gucek got carried off late on.

For the Cup match I ring the changes after recent poor performances. I switch to wingbacks which means I find space for both Makowski in defence & Aytov in midfield while with both main DRs injured its Piotrowski who moves out wide to play down the right. I've given up trying to keep the ball, its direct, get into the opposition half and force them to defend which works well for the most part. Listkowski sees a good chance saved before a deflected shot from Kozak gives us the lead. We double the lead just before the break after Plock only half clear a corner with Listkowski picking out the unmarked Aytov who drills a shot through the crowd. A red card for a two footed tackle reduced Plock to ten men in the second half but in truth they never really threatened all match.

I stick with the same style home to Legia, its not as affective but gives us a chance against a team who have won eight from eight so far this season. We are a little unlucky with Legia's first goal as a block tackle on the edge of the box sees the ball fall to a Legia player who stepped forward and calmly placed wide of Stachowiak. Kowalczyk quickly pulls us level though when the ball is squared to him on the edge of the box. Chances for either side are hard to create but we are testing the opposition defence which at the very least gives them less time to attack. It all seems to swing away from us when an uncalled for two footed lunge from Kolinger sees him sent off late on and that no doubt contributed to the space Jutkiewicz found minutes later as Legia looked to have sealed the win. With nothing to lose we pushed forward and one long ball saw Sanogo nod down to Kowalczyk who plays Listkowski through to slot in a deserved equaliser in injury time.

Olil46v.png

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

October 2021

***Club News***

The chairman receives an offer for the club as we are put under a transfer embargo.

C9uIl6q.png

nJ84fVQ.png

Our poor form continues at home to Jagiellonia. We play well, limit their chances but they somehow score twice despite not creating a single half chance. On the flipside we still lack a little quality/composure in the final third but Kowalcyzk missed a sitter before Sanogo gave us a chance but late in the game both Sanogo & Listkowski missed clear chances as we threw more points away. We deserve better than one win from ten but the pressure is starting to appear from the media.

I fit in a friendly during the International break and its a comfortable win away to a Belgium Second Division side but again we should have scored more. We simply aren't being clinical enough in front of goal.

Away to another struggling side with no win in five, getting close to a must win game. We are the better team in the first half and look the more likely while Wisla probably look better in the second. There are half chances for both teams but Wisla puts one away midway through the second half. Our current problems are summed up when Listkowski wins a penalty only to see Sanogo's effort saved as we slide towards the bottom of the league.

Home to Slask and I'm getting a bit desperate with the media turning against me. Again we are in control and finally scrape the lead when Kozak fires in a half chance. Our luck seems to be missing though when Makowski gives away a penalty in the second half but Stachowiak steps forward to pull off a big save. In the end though it means nothing as another win slips away when a rocket from outside the box flies in on 89 minutes.

The FA Cup quarter final is over two legs and the home leg starts badly as one nothing long ball sees a turn & shot fly in after only three minutes. I gave a debut to 21yo ML, Wrobel and it pays off as he confidently slots in a quick reply. Wieteska & Kozak add two more before the break as we seem to find our best form in the cup. Wisla Krakow pull one back with an angled shot in the second half but we hold on to take a lead into the away leg. Overall though its another game where we conceded two despite the opposition not creating even a half chance.

We finish the month at home to Lechia where a battling defensive performance sees us limit them to just one clear chance in the first half which Stachowiak saves. It gets better for us before the break when a late corner sees us awarded a penalty which Zwolinski slots in. With something to fight for the team look motivated in the second half but chances are hard to come by. Lechia also found it tough but a placed shot from outside of the box earns them a deserved draw. Normally I would be quite pleased with a draw against Lechia but our record in the league this season is now one win in thirteen.

Divy9pK.png

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

November 2021

***Club News***

The transfer embargo has been lifted as the proposed takeover collapsed.

ygCIkbh.png

pN7Ejhs.png

Eight games without a win in the league and away to rivals who are 2nd means I'm not feeling confident but after a tight start Sanogo finds the run of Kowalczyk who confidently places wide of the keeper. It quickly gets better when Letniowski climbs above his marker at the far post to head in a Fulop cross and now the fans had something to shout about. I thought we might have scored too early but we play really well limiting Lech to just the one clear chance which comes back off the post. Arguably we should have had a third with Kowalczyk missing two decent chances but in the end it doesn't matter as we hold off a late fightback to claim just our second win of the season.

Just as players are returning from the International break its the return leg of the FA Cup quarter final. TBH it didn't really affect either team as both only had a couple away from their main squad. We have a 3-2 lead from the first leg and it gets better when Kolinger heads in a free kick. Sanogo adds another before the break and we are cruising. Krakow comes back in the second half as we ride our luck a little but we also could have had more ourselves as we book a place in the semi finals.

After good wins over good opposition we are at home to a side we should be beating. It starts well enough as Piotrowski gets on the end of Fulop's cross but old problems return as we fail to build a cushion and when Chodyna fires in from outside the box we have to settle for another draw.

We beat Krakow in the Cup but the performances are like night & day as the team just don't turn up. We are behind inside the first minute, create nothing before Kolinger gives up a penalty in the second half. Fines are handed out as we once again slide towards the bottom of the league. In fact the performance was that bad that the board request a meeting after the match to discuss it, getting the feeling my time at Pogon is coming to an early end.

8tjiR9o.png

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

December 2021

bhhfW3H.png

I need a better performance and result against Gornik. I just about get it as we defend well and create enough to get the win. Listkowski is the key as he plays Sanogo through for the first before squaring for Kowalczyk late on to seal much needed points.

Against Zaglebie it looked like it was going to be a bad day as Kozak shanked an early chance before Starzynski fired in an early free kick to give them the lead. Listkowski dragged us back into it though slotting in one chance before feeding Sanogo to put us in front. In truth Sanogo could have had a hattrick in the first half and hit the bar early in the second before deciding just to put his foot through it to give us a cushion. It should have been a comfortable win with Zaglebie creating nothing but Starzynski added a late long shot to his earlier free kick to make a nervy finish.

Last match before the winter break and we start well but lack quality in the final third. We get into a number of good positions but just lack the final ball and then just before the break we get kicked in the teeth when a ball into the channel is stood up at the far post to be headed in. Our performance seems to get worse as the match progresses and then when Sanogo intercepts a back pass his shot goes past the post which just about sums up the game for us.

23Vjx1m.png

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

Winter Break (January 2022)

***Players Out***

My main concern for the January window was potentially losing Jozef Kozak (21yo Slovakian AMC) after rejecting a deadline day offer from Burnley (English Premier League) in the summer. A number of clubs (Mainly from England & Italy) have been watching him since but as the window approached interest subsided and he settled down. There has been a lot of interest in a number of our players over the last few months and with the window opening the following players have clubs interested:

Adam Stachowiak (35yo Polish GK) – Major interest from Slask (Ekstraklasa), minor interest from Barcelona (Spanish First Division) & FC Wil (Swiss Super League)

Not really sure whats happening with Barcelona but they have been watching him for about a year now, maybe they are looking for a cheap backup. I rejected a couple of offers from Slask last summer but they are still interested despite Adam declining. I would be happy to let him go if I can find a decent replacement and there are signs I might have.

Mateusz Wieteska (24yo Polish DC/DR, DM) – Major interest from Slask & Cracovia (Both Ekstraklasa)

No surprise that Polish clubs are looking at one of our better Polish players but I've no interest in selling to potential league rivals.

Jedrzej Mostwik (20yo Polish DC) – Major interest from Vicenza (Italian Serie B) + a load of Polish clubs.

Seems to have the ability and a load of potential but never performs well on the pitch. Seriously considering cashing in on him with a lot of clubs interested.

Cornel Rapa (31yo Romanian DR) – Major interest from DC United (MLS), minor interest from Hammarby IF (Swedish Premier Division)

I've already rejected one offer from DC United (about £100k) and if I'm going to be tempted to sell potential buyers are going to have to get a lot closer to the £1m mark.

Sebastian Kowalczyk (23yo Polish MC/DM, AMC) – Major interest from Legia (Ekstraklasa) & Anorthosi (Cyprus) + minor interest from Moreirense (Portugese Premier League) & Roda JC (Dutch Eredivisie)

Homegrown Kowalczyk has really stepped up this season and been the pick of the midfielders. This has been noted by clubs around Europe but they will have to bid high to tempt me to sell.

Istvan Fulop (31yo Hungarian MR/ST) – Major interest from FC Dallas & Toronto (Both MLS)

Much like Rapa I've already rejected offers from both Dallas & Toronto for around £100k but I have an added problem as Fulop has six months left on his contract and has rejected a contract offer. Even so for £100k I'm more likely to keep him & let him go for free in the summer.

Marcin Listkowski (23yo Polish ST/MR) – Major interest from KGHM Zaglebie (Ekstraklasa)

Marcin is another who has found his feet this season and leads the assists chart so far. Really not keen to sell a homegrown player though, especially not to a league rival.

Other players who could leave include:

Aleksa Amanovic (25yo Macedonian DL) – Has been poor on the pitch.

Ivan Pesic (29yo Croatian AML/AMR, ST) – Started the season well but has become surplus to requirements.

Lukasz Zwolinski (28yo Polish ST) – Has been on & off the transfer list due to lack of football/wanting a new challenge. His inability to put the ball in the net when given a chance means I'm happy to sell if I can find a sucker to buy him.

Actual offers though are few & far between. I dismiss another couple for Fulop, a loan offer for Zwolinski & two foreign ones for Kowalczyk which were both for less than £200k. Kowalczyk isn't happy and I'm forced to promise I'll accept an offer from Lech (Ekstraklasa) but as they don't bid he is still here as the league games get back underway. I do manage to move one player on though:

Ivan Pesic (29yo Croatian AML/AMR, ST) – Sold to Slovan Bratislava (Slovakian First Division) for £92k

Time at Pogon: 4 years, Apps: 58, Goals: 4, Assists: 1

***Players In***

I end up with an early problem at fullback as Amanovic tears his hamstring in the first friendly leaving us needing a DL in this window. The right isn't much better as Gucek pulls his hamstring against Lausanne while Rapa is feeling homesick and actually agrees to a leave of absence. He'll be back for the league games but will miss most of the friendlies.

Two free agents come in on trial to at least give us some cover at fullback during the friendlies:

Oneil Fisher (30yo Jamaican DRL)

A Jamaican international who has spent the last five years as a starter in Sweden with GAIS before leaving last November. Natural on both flanks but perhaps more of a DR as he is right footed. Could be a good replacement if Rapa forces a move but I'm not sure if he is the answer on the left.

Mauro Cerqueira (29yo Portugese DL)

A bit of a journeyman around several Portugese clubs as well as a spell in Cyprus. Again I'm not convinced he is the right choice on the left but I'll use the friendlies to assess him.

Cerqueira ends up being pretty decent, more of an attacking fullback but thats no bad thing as we've been using 352 wingbacks a fair bit recently. A solid player for free is better than paying a chunk of money for one so we make him an offer but so do Wigan (English League 2) & Chesterfield (English League 1) and he ends up choosing to sign for Chesterfield.

Back to the drawing board then and I need a DL. My main options seem to be:

Piotr Martuszewski (22yo Polish DL) – Plays for Gornik Zabrze (Polish First Division)

Est Cost: £210k-£525k

More than I should be paying and more of a defensive fullback than I want but the pick of the Polish options.

Daniel Buballa (31yo German DL/ML) – Plays for Sparta Prague (Czech First Division)

Est Cost: Cheap

Out of favour at Sparta with less than six months left on his contract. A well rounded fullback but he wants massive wages and weaknesses include being injury prone and might have problems in a foreign country.

Damien Charbonnier (20yo French DL) – Plays for Lyon (French Ligue 1)

Est Cost: £170k-£450k

Becoming a bit impatient at being stuck in the reserves at our parent club. A hard working physical player but technical skills are a little on the low side.

Isaak Umbdenstock (22yo French DL) – Plays for Apollon (Greek B Division)

Est Cost: Cheap

Another player whose contract expires in less than six months. Seems a decent, well rounded fullback but perhaps a little short of the quality we need. More a squad player than a first teamer & we already have Puchacz who is at a similar level.

I instruct my DOF to make a move for Buballa, it looks a done deal but money proves to be an issue as he rejects our contract offer, twice!

Inbetween the DL negotiations I also made a move for a much sought after Czech U21 striker (Michal Sevcik). Unhappy with Brno being relegated a number of clubs were interested in him. We joined FCSB (Romanian Liga 1), Zaglebie & Lech (Ekstraklasa) in making an offer but he chose to join FCSB, at least he didn't join a league rival though.

My frustration continued with the GK I was tracking – Boris Radunovic (25yo Serbian GK). Unhappy at being stuck in the reserves at parent club, Lyon it was looking good for at least a loan move but they promoted him to the main squad and gave him a couple of games which put pay to any sort of move.

Just before the league games get back underway we do manage to bring a player in although I can't help feeling he isn't ideal while the cost is more than I wanted to pay:

Piotr Martuszewski (22yo Polish DL) – Signed for £400k from Gornik Zabrze (Polish First Division)

Started his career at Wisla Krakow (Ekstraklasa) but didn't make the grade despite two solid loan spells in the First Division. Sold to Gornik Zabrze for £8k just two years ago he was impressive last season and has been solid again before Xmas. A very good defender with room to improve but lacks attacking threat which might be an issue for us.

gP8YCRB.png

***Friendlies***

My AM organised eight friendlies this year, five away against Polish first & second division clubs and three home friendlies against foreign opposition – PEC Zwolle (Dutch Eredivisie), Lausanne (Swiss Super League) & Greuther Furth (German Second Division).

Looking back at the friendlies what surprised me most was that we ended up unbeaten. We played well against Zwolle & Kotwica but it didn't last as the other six were very similar to our league games this season. We just didn't convert enough chances while at the other end poor play led to undeserved opposition goals. The Piast game pretty much summed up our current performances as they took a 1-0 lead in the second half when Mostwik deflected a cross in despite them not having a shot at that stage. We salvaged a draw but one goal from six chances just isn't good enough.

uxHGQkh.png

3 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Adam Stachowiak (35yo Polish GK) – Major interest from Slask (Ekstraklasa), minor interest from Barcelona (Spanish First Division) & FC Wil (Swiss Super League)

Not really sure whats happening with Barcelona but they have been watching him for about a year now, maybe they are looking for a cheap backup. I rejected a couple of offers from Slask last summer but they are still interested despite Adam declining. I would be happy to let him go if I can find a decent replacement and there are signs I might have.

Any chance Barcelona want him for the B-Team?

4 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Any chance Barcelona want him for the B-Team?

Yeah I'm a few months ahead in game and they've picked up a 31yo Spanish keeper who has been put into the B-Team.

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

February 2022

***Squad News***

On the transfer front its one in, one out which left me frustrated. I'm still looking to strengthen defence, find a new number one GK and find a striker who can score more regularly to support Sanogo. The transfer window doesn't close until the end of Feb but looking at the shortlist I'm not hopeful of finding answers.

In terms of player absence, Rapa is due back shortly from his holiday back home. Whether he settles or not is another matter though and I suspect in the long term he'll want to leave. Amanovic (DL) tore his hamstring during the friendlies and won't be back until the league splits but given his form I'm not that bothered now that Martuszewski has been signed. We also lost Makowski (DM/DC) to injury and it'll be another month before he is back which leaves us a little light at the back. With that in mind I've promoted 18yo Arkadiusz Bartosik (DM) to the main squad which will allow both Aytov & Makowski to cover in defence as needed. If I'm really desperate 20yo DC Rafal Grzegorczyk could also be used but I'm not convinced he is, or ever will be first team material. Finally I've also recalled 18yo ST, Mariusz Adamkiewicz from his loan spell at Olimpia Grudziadz (Polish First Division) to give us options should Zwolinski move on.

STsQgQT.png

First match after the break against rivals Sosnowiec but nothing has changed. We are the better team but somehow Sosnowiec has the lead when lone striker Wilk gets on the end of the cross despite us having three DCs. Kowalczyk, Kozak & Listkowski all miss clear chances in the first half while Listkowski misses another in the second half as the word robbed just doesn't describe it as Sosnowiec can't even manage one half chance.

Away to Chrobry the best you can say is at least we didn't lose to a team below us. Neither side create even a half chance as the defences are in control.

After two bad results the pressure is building to get a win at home to Arka. With Zwolinski having another poor game against Chrobry I put 18yo Adamkiewicz on the bench and he is soon on the pitch as Listkowski goes off injured. He proves to be the catalyst first intercepting a backpass to fire in an opening goal before calmly slotting in when Sanogo squares in the second half. We did ride our luck though as Stachowiak saved a penalty that looked harsh while Mostwik also put the ball into his own net only for it to be chalked off for a foul.

We finished the month away to Legia which is already hard enough but we were missing Wieteska, Makowski & Listkowski through injury as well as Kowalczyk & Sanogo (Tired). It starts badly and we are behind early when Nauber flicks a long ball into the path of Tsvetanov but that ends up being Legia's only chance of the match. We don't create much in reply but Adamkiewicz turns provider when he gets behind the defence squaring for Zwolinski to tap in and we even have a late chance for a shock win when Zwolinski wins a penalty, only to see his effort saved.

wRToAYQ.png

***Transfer Window Roundup***

I know the club needs money and that the owner wants to sell but £100k isn't going to make much difference as the board go over my head and accept a bid for Fulop.

Istvan Fulop (31yo Hungarian MR/ST) – Sold to Toronto (MLS) for £98k

Time at Pogon: 5 years, Apps: 130, Goals: 12, Assists: 17

While looking at DCs one I looked at last summer comes up again. The DOF failed in an attempt to sign him then but managed to agree a deal for him this time, although it is a bosman one:

Lukasz Pawlowski (21yo Polish DC) – Signed from Legia on a bosman (Joins July)

Another which has come through the Legia academy but failed to make the step up to the main squad. Has had one decent loan spell in the First Division last season but lacks in several areas. He actually seems fairly similar to Mostwik in that he is big & strong with decent basics but lacks other mental & technical abilities. A bit of a gamble, he could turn out to be solid, could be rubbish but no transfer fee & low wages means its low risk.

Just as I'm considering other deals the board receive another takeover offer which puts us back under a transfer embargo:

tcrhJIy.png

Thankfully it collapses and the embargo is lifted just two days before the window closes. I turn down a loan offer for Mostwik (DC) & two offers from Lech for Kowalczyk (MC) that are no where near good enough. Kowalczyk demands a new contract which tbf he deserves and he seems happy to stay. Deadline day also sees me bring in another DC to bolster the ranks as we seem to be playing 352 a lot, he wasn't 100% scouted but I was running out of time:

Omar Colley (29yo Gambian DC) – Signed for £115k from Sparta Prague (Czech First Division)

An experienced International who I'm expecting to be a starter for us. Started his career with Gambian semi pro side Wallidan before KuPS (Finland Premier League) brought him to Europe. Two years there were followed by two years in Sweden with Djurgardens before Genk (Belgian Pro League) paid £1.2m for him. He was never more than a squad player and moved on to Sparta Prague three years ago but again was never a first team regular.

e2KZaTA.png

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

March 2022

QL3ZNY8.png

I think I've pretty much accepted that we are in a relegation battle now and every point is important. Unfortunately luck goes against us at home to Cracovia. With defences in control first goal was key and it went to them when a blocked long shot fell to Azzaoui in the box late in the first half. We pushed in the second but tbh Cracovia looked the more likely to add to their lead on the break.

Away to Jagiellonia the direct tactics work well as we create chance after chance. Letniowski's late run into the box sees him open the scoring when he gets on the end of a Rapa cross and he should have had a second running onto a Sanogo flick on. Listkowski also rattles the post before Sanogo makes it two before finally getting on the scoresheet in injury time.

I don't know how we go from such a good performance against Jagiellonia to such a **** poor one at home to Wisla Plock. A wide freekick and a through ball sees them take a 2-0 lead as we only manage one single shot. Later in the first half the team finally wake up when Puchasz bursts down the left and finds Sanogo. A kick up the arse at half time sees them raise their game in the second half with Listkowski pulling us level with a superb effort on the break but we can't find a winner as more points fall by the wayside.

It feels like I must have broken every single mirror in the club as bad luck continues against Slask. It starts early when a Stachowiak palms a mishit cross onto the post, with the ball rolling along the goal line Colley tries to clear but only succeeds in scoring an OG. Add an injury to Sanogo when he breaks his arm before his replacement Adamkiewicz lasts less than 10 minutes before being carried off with strained knee ligaments. This forces me to switch to 4141 with Listkowski not exactly an ideal lone striker but we make it work as Listkowski sets up Letniowski for an equaliser just before the break. We are much the better side in the second half and should have had a second while Slask deserved nothing from the match.

Away to Lechia is always a tough match but once they score an impressive first goal the team just give up. 4-0 down by the break the match is already over as I fine most of the team afterwards.

The month ends after an International break with the first leg of the FA Cup semi final. Normally I would feel we had a chance against Bruk-Bet who are one place below us in the league but we have massive issues up front. Sanogo & Adamkiewicz are joined on the sidelines by Listkowski leaving Zwolinski as our only fit striker. I've promoted 18yo Jovic to provide cover as we start with a lone striker who struggles to score. Disappointing isn't the word as we struggle to pass, tackle & shoot. Bruk-Bet manage a goal just before the break while Zwolinski misses a clear chance after the break but ultimately I'm not sure either team deserved to win.

5qQ0qiI.png

***Youth Intake***

Seems like a fairly average group this season with not much to be excited about. 15yo Adrian Rudzinski is the clear star of the group and could make a good midfielder but lacks physically. I also like the look of 16yo DM, Michal Czajkowski but he is another that needs lots of work on his physical attributes.

ArBQ8dv.png

ArGlmGa.png

Poland

Pogon Szczecin

Ekstraklasa

April 2022

zFtkplx.png

Two games to go before the league splits & we'll definitely be in the relegation group this season. I hold a team meeting before the match and give 18yo Jovic his first start up front. It seems to work as the team play well and Jovic shows why he has 14 goals in 19 games for the U18s this season as he slips the first half chance under the keeper. He isn't perfect though as he hits the bar with the second half chance. Colley gets flattened during a corner to win a second half penalty and this time its a defender stepping up as Wieteska calmly places it into the corner to seal the win.

We finish at home to rivals, Lech and the team really turn up big time. Probably our best performance of the season as we limit Lech to just two shots while at the other we create plenty of chances and we seem to have found a striker who knows where the net is. Jovic starts and finishes the scoring with two confident strikes as well as providing one for Listkowski.

tzJzu3J.png

vtsNrdi.png

Before the Relegation Group gets underway we have the return leg of the FA Cup Semi Final and we have the ability to turn it around if we play like we did against Lech. Sanogo & Adamkiewicz are on the way back from injury while we are also missing Stachowiak (Out for rest of season), Rapa & Martuszewski. Its a poor start as Bruk-Bet play keep ball with a narrow, defensive formation but after a couple of tweaks we start to take control. Kozak pulls us back into the match with a 30 yard free kick but we struggle to break them down. A mistake at the back sees a defender misjudge a cross and Jovic pounces to make it four in four. We have the lead but its a nervy finish as one goal would be enough to send Bruk-Bet into the Final on away goals.

ITwHGYO.png

A5oFEci.png

Cutting the points in half really have an affect, we would have been 15 points clear of the relegation zone but now its only seven with seven matches to go. Even so its a decent gap but as long as we win at least a couple of games we should be safe and the bonus is they are all winnable matches.

First up is a big one at home to Slask who are in the drop zone. Slask looked dangerous early on rattling the post with a half chance but it turns out to be their only real chance of the match. Once settled we control the ball and convert our chances in the second half. A cross from each wingback sees both Listkowski & the returning Sanogo on the scoresheet before Listkowski hits a sweet strike from 30 yards into the top corner.

The month ends away to Chrobry which means I have decisions to make. As the other club in the drop zone a win would just about see us safe but in three days time we have the FA Cup final against rivals, Lech. I rotate the squad and save a few for the final. As for the match Chrobry caused us a problem in the normal season with both matches finishing 0-0 and this one is no different. Set pieces seem to be the best chance for both sides and its Wieteska who breaks the deadlock when he heads in a corner. Letniowski sets up a second on the break as he bursts past two defenders before squaring for Listkowski to force in. Chrobry had chances of their own and score a late consolation as we once again have a nervy finish.

8cFg9fY.png

***Transfer News***

With Stachowiak tearing his groin I suspect our 35yo GK will have played his last match for the club. I still haven't found a good first choice replacement so next season we'll probably have to muddle through as best we can. 2nd choice Leszczynski has signed a new one year contract while 19yo Sledz & 17yo Jozef Hinc are moving closer to the first team. I'm not convinced they are quite ready yet though so I made a move for a 22yo Polish keeper who is in Legia's reserves. I've been tracking him for over a year and hoped he was future first team material. He doesn't seem to have reached that level but is on a par with Leszczynski on paper so gives us options for little cost:

Tomasz Wroblewski (22yo Polish GK) – Signed on a bosman, joins July.

Archived