The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't up to scratch tonight. Too many loose balls, too much hesitancy and no width going forward. Broadfoot had a bit of a mare, might be time to give Whitaker a run on the right. Thought McCulloch, Papac and Cuellar did OK. We missed Dailly's energy in the middle.

Don't mind us keeping it tight for the first 70 minutes or so, but wish we'd brought on Boyd or Naismith with Novo for the final 20 and applied some real pressure. Spent most of the closing stages on the back foot which isn't good enough.

All is not lost, the Pana game proved that. Obviously important we didn't concede and Sporting didn't look hugely inspiring going forward, much better at the back surprisingly. Should have Cousin back by next Thursday and one away goal would probably do it. Going across there the underdog might suit our mentality anyway. Will miss Weir though.

I don't think tiredness was a huge factor in the lax performance tonight, if anything i'd have said we were nervous. We weren't getting the basics right, passing in particular was woeful at times luck enough so was Sportings.

They seemed happy to match us up and will probably go for it more in the 2nd leg.

Hemdani looked off the pace most of the night, not his usual self at all.

In saying that 0-0 is not a bad result. We just need to relax a little in the next leg and try to stick to our game, we're not expected to do anything in the UEFA Cup.

I think we'll see a much better performance on Sunday and hopefully we can come off that and take it to Portugal.

just back from the game, could have been worse. Hemdani Broadfoot and Davis were off the pace tonight, could be tiredness or nerves but today they couldn't even pass. Sasa Papac and Carlos Cuellar were better than everyone else, but tbf we never really looked like winning or losing. Thought Walters sub was wrong, was clear to see Darch was causing problems and Davis needed to be moved, we never completed one cross from that right hand side.

still have a lot to do, but situations like this have suited us already this yearf

Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

the boos at full time just hilarious icon14.gif

Would have thought you'd have got used to the concept of home fans booing this year at Parkhead, but guess not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so you dont think the booing was ridiculous then?

Not really, was an insipid performance and means we'll probably go out now. We were hardly burning effigies of Smith and McCoist or anything, just a general sign of disappointment given all the expectation.

Originally posted by Anton:

You guys make me laugh.

Never anything bad about your own team can be said, quickly trying to compare it to us.

Head in the sand loyal.

We at least have an honest assessment of our team.

We also haven't just appointed a rabid bigot to the coaching staff.

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

Anton, it's just a bit of banter mate. Theres no sectarian jibes or anything. Merely a bit of gloating as we are on top at the moment. I'd hardly begrudge the dark siders taking the **** out of us if you're at top.

He just doesn't have a sense of humour, you're wasting your breath on him and 'Stan'.

Originally posted by McD:

Not really, was an insipid performance and means we'll probably go out now. We were hardly burning effigies of Smith and McCoist or anything, just a general sign of disappointment given all the expectation.

When the team wins, they get cheered. Even when the lose, having given their all, they get cheered. Tonight they were pish, they deserved the boos, might buck their ideas up a bit. There were more than a few players out there who need a kick up the arse tbh.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

Anton, it's just a bit of banter mate. Theres no sectarian jibes or anything. Merely a bit of gloating as we are on top at the moment. I'd hardly begrudge the dark siders taking the **** out of us if you're at top.

He just doesn't have a sense of humour, you're wasting your breath on him and 'Stan'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There there, peaceful one, its only a bit of banter icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Stan petrov:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

He just doesn't have a sense of humour, you're wasting your breath on him and 'Stan'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There there, peaceful one, its only a bit of banter icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know but I'm in a bad mood icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff

No creativity at all really. We don't really have anyone in the final third who can do something. Didn't think McCulloch played too bad tonight. He had a few of our better efforts. But I'd rather we had a player playing there who can take on and beat a man, deliver quality balls into the box and score goals. Is Cristiano Ronaldo available? icon_wink.gif

Not the greatest of performances but no away goal conceded and everything to play for in the second leg.

Originally posted by Anton:

I did indeed.

Point still stands though, you seem unwilling to identify any faults or failings in an albeit great season for you.

This year for us should show you what happens when you get complacant.

The boos were pathetic, and show up a lot of our fans for being completely clueless about European football.

No-one was comparing anything to you, just ramming home the point that all you have to laugh at is that fact that some fans booed the team off the park in a European quarter final. We have plenty more to laugh at you for.

We're definately lacking something which becomes apparant when we play better teams. But the thing is that Sporting certainly are not better than Werder, but the way they set up made it more difficult for us.

Ginger I do agree with you to an extent, but players who get paid a hell of a lot of money have to take the rough with the smooth and tbh the fact that people are actually booing is an indication of how far we've come that we're actually expecting to win a UEFA QF.

Last January, if someone had given us the position we're in now we'd have taken them to a padded cell. The tie is still winnable, but personally I now think our chance is gone. I just have this feeling that Sporting will win the 2nd leg. Ah well, we'll just have to settle for the treble.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The tie is still winnable, but personally I now think our chance is gone

That's more like it. I get worried when you think we'll win icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been (scarily) right so far this season though icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

We got knocked out of Europe by Barcelona, dumbo.

Yeah we drew wi them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we scored against them icon_wink.gif

Another home game for Walter to employ away tactics.

Terrible performance really couldnt really mention any player having a good game. Some ok ones I guess.

Thought Weir was going to give away a goal at the end. Lucky he didnt.

Sporting werent much better the had nothing in the final 3rd either.

It was the kind of game Boyd would of probably got a goal. Seem to say that quite often though...

What a drab, drab game. icon_frown.gif

I think we all agree 4-5-1 does work pretty effectively but when our midfield are so bad, creativity is non-existent, support in attack patchy so chances and/or goals very unlikely.

Really very little to talk about (McD summed it up well as usual) but 0-0 isn't the worst result in the world and Sporting didn't look all that much to be afraid of for the second leg. I actually thought they defended pretty well and worked very hard to stifle the likes of Davis and/or Ferguson.

The latter really is dreadful at the moment. His minimal work-rate and poor positioning really doesn't help the system. Paradoxically though, whenever he doesn't play, we seem to miss him. Thought Papac and Cuellar were our best players while Lee McCulloch was arguably our most dangerous - although he did disappear somewhat in the second period.

As for the booing last night, well I don't have a problem with a few thousand bears making their thoughts known in that way. It's not that nice and always sounds worse than it was but when you had people paying up to £40 for tickets, I'm sure they'd have preferred a little bit more adventure for their cash.

Zenit proved last night how to play the 4-5-1 effectively. Have 2 at times 3 midfielders bombing forward or carrying the ball and exploit teams with real pace. At this present time we don't have any pace on the wings or in the centre of midfield and it is something Smith will have to rectify if he wants to progress in Europe. At SPL level we will get away with it due to the defensive nature of most of our opponents.

Agreed Henchoz... icon14.gif

I think the return of Cousin will help as he's a wee bit better in the lone striker role than JCD. Better at holding up the ball and linking with players.

Generally Davis needs to be moved back into the centre to allow one from Novo/Burke/Naismith to play on the right.

• SI Staff

In the second leg I would definitely add a bit of pace to wide areas, especially if we're probably going to get a few more chances to hit them on the break as Sporting push forward.

McGregor

Whittaker Cuellar Dailly Papac

Davis Ferguson Thomson

Darcheville Naismith

Cousin

I'd go with something like that with Darcheville and Naismith tracking back to help out the midfield (essential they do this) and Burke and Novo ready to replace them if needed.

Broadfoot was awful last night. Was hard to remember a pass he made to a blue shirt. He wasn't helped by our lethargic midfield though.

We are lacking quality on the wings, which you need in this formation. There was nothing coming from midfield to link with JCD and that made his job not exactly impossible, but certainly tough. For Novo it was nigh on impossible.

Barry Ferguson needs dropped and he needs dropped now. It's up to other players such as Thomson, Dailly, Weir to carry the team through then but right now Ferguson is just a passenger - not sure what idiot named him MoM on Saturday but they need their head seen to. Hemdani as well was woefully last night, never ever thought I'd hear myself say this, but stick with Dailly. Actually one player I was happy enough with was Kevin Thomson, he is in my opinion turning into the player Ferguson never became.

I'm not buying this whole 'players are tired' nonsense. If we had been playing four games a week then ok mibbe, but if these guys can't play three hours of football a week there is something seriously wrong with their fitness. Time for them to stand up and be counted, it's crunch time, four games that will define our season. Get to it, and no excuses.

• SI Staff

Ferguson has been carrying an ankle injury for a while, which might explain his below par performances.

Like Frankie said though, when he doesn't play we miss him so I doubt he's going to be dropped any time soon.

Originally posted by Ter:

Ferguson has been carrying an ankle injury for a while, which might explain his below par performances.

Like Frankie said though, when he doesn't play we miss him so I doubt he's going to be dropped any time soon.

Well I know he won't be dropped but he still should be. I know you're a big Ferguson fan - most of you kids grew up with him as the only decent Scots youth of his era - but both because of the ankle and the contribution he makes = 0 he certainly isn't helping, and it's becoming more noticeable. We can't afford to carry passengers during the run in, and lets face it if the other players can't motivate themselves without Ferguson on the field you have to question their intelligence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Well I know he won't be dropped but he still should be. I know you're a big Ferguson fan - most of you kids grew up with him as the only decent Scots youth of his era - but both because of the ankle and the contribution he makes = 0 he certainly isn't helping, and it's becoming more noticeable. We can't afford to carry passengers during the run in, and lets face it if the other players can't motivate themselves without Ferguson on the field you have to question their intelligence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First things first Barry Ferguson is a great player. When fully fit and on form he's the best player in Scotland - no question.

Unfortunately, this season - despite some decent assists and goals - he's been far from that level of quality. Injured or not, his work-rate is appalling and he seems to run about like a headless chicken in the more offensive central role he's been given in this 4-5-1. Quite simply it's not working and hasn't done so for a number of months now.

As I said, it's difficult to advocate dropping him - his contribution off the ball isn't always seen or appreciated - but it's getting more and more difficult to advocate keeping him in the team. Fortunately for him with Adam injured, Hemdani off-the-boil and Thomson suspended soon it's likely he'll retain his place.

Ferguson must do better. But that can apply to most players at the moment.

Of course we also have to keep our criticisms realistic. We've played so many games lately - all big matches with crucial outcomes - it's no wonder staleness and mental tiredness is creeping in. As such, the manager now needs to freshen up the team more often wihtout making changes for changes sake.

Hopefully we'll start by playing Whittaker at RB on Sunday, Dailly at CB, Davis at CM, Naismith at RW and Cousin up front. We'll need all these guys if we're to win the title and/or anything else.

icon_smile.gif

Archived