CMO Announcement 11

dogs

I thought I'd share my opinions on the cpommunity issue. I'm not really sure how to offer solutions to the points I am putting forward, hopefully others will have an idea.

I don't really feel part of the CMO community as such, although I will admit my ventures into CMO are far from being long standing. I am one of the founders of the GQ online game started with some of the regulars from GQCM4 and as such recruiting took place in there. Now obviously it has moved over to this forum for game reports etc. What this means is that we aren't really part of the CMO scene in that none/not many of us actually have any existing ties to the community as it stands. There is nothing that actually links us into the the community or rather more specifically the fellow members of CMO. This doesn't appear to me to be solely reserved for our clan either. One problem I see, is that there is a limited interaction between the different clans. We all do our own reports and stick with who we play with. There doesn't appear to be much interaction between clans. That situation will always lead to making it increasingly difficult to incorporate newcomers into the fold. Until people see more involvement between community members there will always be the ellement of users who will loose interest.

At the end of the day, to me at least, is that the community is not determined by how successful it is with the number of recognised Clans, but by the users who make up those clans.

The only way I can of combatting this, and has already been mentioned before, to get more people involved in long term games would be down the road of the tournement.

My idea would be to have a major CMO tournement held. To get new members involved there could be preliminary tournements held incorporating newcomers, where success in those would lead to progression into main tournements where you would be involved with both newcomers and also existing clan members, from there the most successful would progress to an 'elitest' contest. The idea of this is not so much to find an out and out CMO champ but more to get as many people playing with as many other people as possible. That IMO would lead to developing more of a community spirit as more people would know more people, if you see what I mean. Also it would give newcomers the knowledge and hopefully the inclination to go on and set up their own games. Plus a successful stint in a tourney like this would guve them much needed recognition and help them to shed their 'noob' status.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok i have this idea it will sound complicated but bear with me.

The communtiy is small IMO but i would like a list of say 6 reliable hosts to host a one off finals challenge once a week.

The host will allow only 6 clan members including himself to participate. the remaining 10 places if filled to be non clan members. Now remember the host will be providing a service on a rota basis. The challenge will be played on the same day at the same time every week. Its irrelevent whether we fill all 10 spots or not, the game will be like the no 10 bus at the same spot at the same time every week, if 1 passenger gets on or 10 passengers get on it will still move icon_wink.gif

This game will not go down at any time, communication and good organisation is paramount. if a host cannot make it on his designated week he has to arrange cover for himself by first talking to the other hosts on the list and if they cant cover, the community admin will arrange for a host to cover.

There will not be any applications but there will be a thread. A mirc room will be set up, anyone who wants to play will just be in the room 15mins before the kick off, the host will govern all decisions in the room. After each tourney the host will post a list of the players who participated in said game, each player will then post a small brief summary of how they found the game on this thread.

The 6 clan members involved will be responsible for setting an example and for easing and aiding the non clan members. The rewards they will get are simple they will be able to met new players outwith their own clan games and also be able to play games against other clan members which they dont on a normal basis.

I have thought about this long and hard taking into account the various points raised in this threasd regarding drop in games. This would work. What do you think?

Good idea Mr X

Seems a good way to get people involved.

Had a quick think about this and I'm curious to see how you see it working.

1, A new game each week. Host has to reset up (or use a re made save game). The 5 clan members join in as well and off you go. I found that pre-seaosn is usually slow and tedious and you don't get to play matches. If you holiday the game forward to matches then you miss out on transfers between humans which is dufferent to computer transfers.

2. Use a pre existing save game from within clan. New people join in as and when necessary. This might mean that the league becomes a bit unbalanced, but is this a better way to go.

What happens next?

Overall I think this is a better way to go than a 2one off tourney but I'm curious to see how you see the game developing.

to add in depth to the suggestion, the 6 hosts between them would have 2 saved game templates with all ddt data relvent to the game included.

the rostered host would appear in the mirc room 30mins before kick off. Will make a decision on what template to use. Will delegate teams on his say so to players as they arrive.

Whether one player turns up or sixteen the host plays the game as per.

After the tourney the host does his admin work reporting on the thread.

Nice work PM7 for this addition icon_smile.gif

I like this idea a lot. Give new players the chance to come in, experience online play, and if they dont like it, then they can leave, and woth no long term commitment, they havent upset anyone, and they can always have another wee go in the future.

Mind you, once you've played online, you're hooked icon_wink.gif

Dogs I think you are showing very good leadership qualities here. You have canvassed the opinion of members and now are getting down to making a decision. In saying that I'm not trying to lick your arse, (God forbid! icon_eek.gif ) but to give credit where credit is due.

Having read the recent thread I think what you are getting down to is a decent marriage between the weekly meeting and the idea of a drop in game. As Peacemaker7 says, once you play online you are largely hooked. While I was playing online a lot before you introduced me to UCMIG, (albeit it was an unfortunately short experience), I cannot deny that the pressure/excitement of testing myself against all you guys was great. I still remember to this day, the elation when Kewell scored that equaliser at Old Trafford to bring me back from 3-0 down, to 3-3 in my first game. icon_smile.gif This idea is good to introduce new people to the challenge and the banter.

However, I still have to emphasise two points. Firstly, I think the welcome thread is essential and in here you could point the new players towards the weekly game you are proposing.

It would be important in these games/meetings to emphasise the trials and tribulations of online play, while boosting the positives. Perhaps time should be set aside for a "speech", (which you were good at). I repeat, not an emphasis on rules but on the realities and indeed benefits of online play.

Secondly, I still feel that a hands on approach will be required to retain these players after the test game is over. It is no good giving them a taster, then taking away the wine. We don't want to lose these players as they struggle to set up on their own. From my point of view, I am happy to help out with hosting and also to take on new players, be they highly recommended. From the EPL Challenge point of view, I've been very impressed with some of the new people that have joined us, so this talent shouldn't be discounted as "'noobs".

Finally I still think some thought should be given to an Online challenge, to remove the back slapping that the online awards appears, in my opinion, to promote. This encourages achievement, stickability and awards. It may encourage new clan members to aim for forwarding for the ultimate prize by clan hosts. And indeed, I still see no recognition of a response to the annoyance people who pull out regularly of games, while negatively affecting them bring to regulars and hosts. I liked Paul Bray's idea of a A-List etc, (well he's a Gunner icon_wink.gif )but still feel that some deterrent to this behaviour should be introduced. Again, maybe its something to bring up at the weekly meeting...

[This message was edited by BelfastNiall on 30 December 2003 at 0:31.]

While we're at it, on my computer there's a rogue < just above the CMO header, presume someone cocked up a HTML tag, can you please remove it as it's driving me [a web developer) nuts....!

I hope no one gets offended by what im about to saqy,m but if they do it just kinda means they REALLY dont know me enough.

But there is a difference between banter and between slagging someone and just being a downright dick.

There are people on the forum here that need to take a breath before they hit the post now button and pause before they react.

Lets not always look for the bad in things and offer constructive breakdowns and a way to improve things not just slag something down and leave it at that.

Yes im talking about prozak and the euro tourney, yes he might be a little hasty, but he has the good of the online game at heart.

A simple msn or email to him of polite post saying what about the idea of removing all the group 3 lot and making them reserves incase more 'less experienced players' come alone and would like to be involved would have probably been suffice rather than jump in and make the person look shabby and make them seem like there being kicked down and causeing a rolleyes reaction icon_wink.gif

Now you can shoot me down if you want, i dont really mind. Im a big boy and i dont have a dummy to spit out. I dont have a agenda i just like playing CM online and have made some good friends playing it. I can mock people to all extremes (as EMA people see each game) but if we want to make it a more community place the slagging (not mocking) has to go.

yeah but you know i like you, otherwise why would i talk to you icon_wink.gif if i didnt id not have you on msn and banter with you.

thats what i mean there is a difference between banter and just slagging someone down (or being personal)

You know the EMA banter marlow it gets close to the bone at times...but we have a laugh and thats what got us through crashes and slow evenings.

I hope yu can see the point im making, its not ained at anyone person in particular ive used a example and im not saying its just kozak and dogs blah blah, its all about.

I have really enjoyed reading some of the posts in this thread because people are supporting there ideas with the idea! with the example and are looking to make it better, but posts justmaking the point that it could be better and expressing dissapointment aint going to help like icon_biggrin.gif

lol @Prozak icon14.gif

Just understand I have spoken to some people that simply can't find a clan. It's especially them talking about the way of disrespect from the oldies at this forum towards them. Just the way I felt and still feel with some people in here (or maybe just 1 or 2), what was the reason starting online games myself. Everyone has a different look on things however I think they are free to express that. I'm not going to defend myself as its just the way I look to it. I do my best organizing things as good as I can and will continue with that.

Cheers to all people who hate strong newcomers icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's especially them talking about the way of disrespect from the oldies at this forum towards them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry but thats the biggest amount of baloney i've heard today. Users have always been pointed in the right direction form day one. When they dont heed any rules and continue to break the rules set in the forum yes that is disrespect but not in the direction you think icon_wink.gif.

At then end of the day what was missing in this forum was a more new user friendly system which we hope to implement with the drop down games we are learning lessons i think.

I will never stop a host starting a game, thats what we are all about in here. Powlay you do nothing with your post but attempt to martyr kozaks game, ffs anyone can start a fecking game quickly.

Show me the slagging , i cant see anything, all i see is a user sprinting off and starting a netgame knowing that the ideas were getting implemented and recieving some criticism for it. You are right powlay you do have to big big boys here. I know Kozak is a good host, i know he puts effort into his games.

Kozak you would be best having a look at your posting style, i've had 6 email complaints already and i'm not kidding. I think you need to lose the Kozak "i know all , i know best mentality" and work with us all as a team.! We have all been hosting for years so lose the arrogant atitude please. Your post did nothing but enflame a situation that wasnt there. Now i'm not going to say anymore on this because i'm already sick of it tbh. Lets get back on topic.

[This message was edited by Mr X on 30 December 2003 at 17:52.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just understand I have spoken to some people that simply can't find a clan. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok so a valid point here as i've heard this before, If the drop in games provide a pro service for new users to try the game out,

how do we encourage users to set up, or put themselves in the shop window.

One of the things the drop in games for newbies needs address is where to put them if they want to play on. There might also be an issue where a noob wants to be a host, and it might be an idea to have a session where someone new to hosting is given the chance, with one or two experienced hosters there to give moral support and direction. Without new hosts, we wont have new clans.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Without new hosts, we wont have new clans <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

exellent point, yes i concur with the "host in training" idea, nice one.

Perhaps walk before we can run?

I don't think its a good idea to get people new to the online scene to host, they don't know what onine gaming is like.

Perhaps more of a guide to hosting, the extra options and the pitfalls of hosting in a sticky would be a better way to go.

Get people exeperienced playing online and the hosters will come.

Dont really agree with that. People will host if they feel like it, some wont feel like it. Its not a matter of walking or running, its a matter of helping people who, having played an online game want to keep playing, and having nowhere else to go decide they quite fancy hosting. You can have all the sticky threads you want, but nothing beats actual experience and having one or two people there who have such experience can only be of help. If we're bringing in new online gamers, then it figure we need new hosts.

I think maybe including in the thing about online gaming how hosts are so important to be very reliable.

So many people say they will host and then drop out it leaves a larger group of players feeling crappy.

So if we let them know how important it is when hosting to do things right it might assista them.

hard to explain what im thinking will post when i can get it into words.

I would like to address a possible option for this quick game drop ins.

Basically we would have around 5-6 Broadband Hosts of whom are experienced CMO gamers.

Availability will be say Mornings/Weekends, Weekday evenings and Afternoons/Weekends.

Each Host will create a game thread for players to sign up. The players we should be targetting are the members who say have joined the boards within 6 months. The hosts should also look for players with Broadband and are interested in hosting.

These games should be limited to 5-6 players and maybe an additional Experienced player within this group.

Games should be played with designated Times as agreed by the host.

New members should be assessed by host in three different Categories once a week.

Ratings will be from 1-10

1 being Poor

10 being Excellent

These games will run for 6-8 Sessions roughly two weeks whereby the current host will look at his current crop of players and chat with them about the possibility of a dummy run for hosting the game.

The current host would take reigns as a player for an initial period to give support and advise to the new host in training.

Before giving the reigns to a new host you will need to make sure that all players can connect up to the hosts game so their is no issues during gameplay hours.

After a few sessions the Experienced host will liase with the new host to make sure they are confident to carry on and give further advise as to what to do next.

Once this has been sorted then the experienced host can leave the game and then start a fresh game opening.

The original game will have a new title for the game thread (Clan Name). All replies for applications will be deleted by Moderater or Helper and game updates will follow. A NEW CLAN IS FORMED.

Members should contact others within the games to get thoughts on how the game is progressing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DeafParrot:

This thread makes very interesting reading for me, although whenever i try to write an opinion on the subject it turns into drivel.

I think the vast majority of the people who cause the problem are the younger members of the boards, a bit of a sweeping generalisation, but it seems to be a lot of the under 16's have no real grasp of dedication or commitment. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't really think that much more can be done other than raising the age limit for the message board, and thats not going to happen.

Jeez, that was my best attempt so far, and that was rubbish too!! icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know this was posted a while back but I've just got back from hols and am reading through the thread...

On the age limit, I'm under 16 but I like to think that I'm relatively dedicated (I don't think I've ever turned up once and never again). Marlow's a forum helper and a dedicated player (when exams aren't in the way) and I'm pretty sure he's still 15 so I don't think raising the age limit is the answer icon_smile.gif

I stand corrected, just that I'm using my previous attempts as sources. In my new game, out of the 11 who were supposed to start, we're down to five, we're all youngish, I think our oldest member's 22(?) but the younger ones seem not to be as dedicated as most. Obviously there are exceptions and I said it was a generalisation, I know there are plenty of younger players who are punctual and dedicated to the game.

Mr X,

Is there any other way to use a chat room other than the MSN. The MSN chat rooms do not support Mac's so makes it harder for me to get a game. I am sure there must be alternative methods?

I really like the Euro 2004 thingy. I think it should take place, every weekend (timings how it has been doen today) I am sure it will grow, and there won't be a struggle for players.

This shorten game, is also ideal to get more new people in.

Thanks

Fwas

Fwas, different people use different communication methods depending how they find it best. It is quite common for MSN community chat to be used, but just using MSN messenger is as equally plausible. Also used are things like MIRC or you could even get yourself a free website from somewhere like www.freewebs.com that provide chat facilities. Its generally decided by the host what method he wishes to use for comms, but their are many different options available

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by exchampionsfan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DeafParrot:

This thread makes very interesting reading for me, although whenever i try to write an opinion on the subject it turns into drivel.

I think the vast majority of the people who cause the problem are the younger members of the boards, a bit of a sweeping generalisation, but it seems to be a lot of the under 16's have no real grasp of dedication or commitment. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't really think that much more can be done other than raising the age limit for the message board, and thats not going to happen.

Jeez, that was my best attempt so far, and that was rubbish too!! icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know this was posted a while back but I've just got back from hols and am reading through the thread...

On the age limit, I'm under 16 but I like to think that I'm relatively dedicated (I don't think I've ever turned up once and never again). Marlow's a forum helper and a dedicated player (when exams aren't in the way) and I'm pretty sure he's still 15 so I don't think raising the age limit is the answer icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

16 btw - I'm a big boy now. icon_wink.gif

If we're not going to have applications threads then the available players thread will have to be constantly updated as many of the players will now be involved in a game. Maybe if you put your name down on the available players listings but are no longer available you should have to tell a mod and he will then delete your post in the thread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by exchampionsfan:

If we're not going to have applications threads then the available players thread will have to be constantly updated as many of the players will now be involved in a game. Maybe if you put your name down on the available players listings but are no longer available you should have to tell a mod and he will then delete your post in the thread.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think we will have a member of the admin constantly tidy the applicants thread on a fortnightly basis. If an applicant wishes so re-add himself in event that his details are deleted fair enough. It will give the hosts a better idea of immediate availablity of players.

What is the actual function of this forum??

Just to have threads for each clan and 1 for availablity?

Perhaps a bit more of a rounded view as in Online specific questions would be better answered here rather than just telling everybody to go visit another forum.

gone rather quiet it has the last few days, so we have ideas isnt it time to start putting them in motion.

Maybe a list of CMO'ers who are willing to host a short term competition like the one we have just seen and when there available to host?

That would be a start i think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Powlay:

gone rather quiet it has the last few days, so we have ideas isnt it time to start putting them in motion.

Maybe a list of CMO'ers who are willing to host a short term competition like the one we have just seen and when there available to host?

That would be a start i think.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Patience padwan icon_wink.gif the forum will be set up 3rd week in jan

Archived