the only feature I am expecting from FM17

For years FM has been advancing as new features have been introduced. Not once I had any problem with any of them (well international management is bit lacking) since the SI kept very good grip on what managing a football team really means. That, indeed, includes repetitive press conferences (i was there and know how they go), and even that has been improved over the years. It includes man management, and all the nuisance the game brings. SI has dealt even with that publishing FM Touch so everyone gets what he wants.

The only thing that is really lacking in the game, and is fundamental, is tactics. It is so behind real world it is difficult for me to really appreciate FM anymore.

This is what I want to see improved in the game.

INTEr PREVENTING BUFFON SHORT PASS.jpg

Above is the screenshot from Inter Juventus match played yesterday. That is what "stopping GK short distribution" really looks like. Not the position of Juventus players. Do you have any idea how it looks in FM?

juventus high pressing fiorentina pic 1.jpg

Above is the match Juventus played against Fiorentina. That is proper "Close down more" instruction by Massimo Allegri. Do you have any idea how it looks in FM?

chalkboard (1).gif 

This is build up play from Chelsea against West Ham United. Notice how Chelsea expands as they transition from defensive zone into the middle third. Notice how they overload left flank while keeping a player on right flank hugging the touchline to stretch the defence. Is there any tactics guru that can make it work in FM?

Features are really good and well. I love them, however, I feel the game is lagging behind in its core function- representing a sound football match from manager's,tactical, perspective. Hope these things will be sorted out as without tactics, you have no football manager. more director of football.

Think it's a bit harsh to say the game "lacks tactics".  

While I see where you're coming from, I'd prepare to be disappointed.  You're describing something that's going to take pretty considerable AI to do effectively.  The match engine will improve, it always does, but anyone putting a real life move up against it, like you've done, is probably going to be disappointed.  

In fact, I'd go as far as saying that this kind of comparison is detrimental.  For me, if I can put a particular plan in place, and see the results of that plan being carried out in front of my eyes, then FM has done its job.  It would be great if it happened exactly as it did in real life, but it's very unlikely to happen unless there's a huge step in the programming of the AI.

What i did was to close down the WB's was use my IF's to get them and yes it does work.  I made sure I had x2 IF's high up the pitch.  I also had close down keeper on weaker foot.    As for PI's i had my IF's close down/tackle hard and show onto weaker foot.  I actually got the ball from them and scored.  Before i start assigning players to close down keeper i make sure if their keeper is good at sweeping and passing.  Do you really want to let a keeper become a ball playing one like Pep wants ? No way.

Know thy enemy.

agree, but i believe anyone who plays an actually watches the games knows how this  works in game. those who don't do not even care and just dash through seasons. actually, i don't even think there is discussion needed about it, it is blatantly wrong how the tactics are presented in the game. play from the back is non existen.

Archived