Anyone had any luck developing youngsters in FMT?

I suspect those that put a lot of effort into training and tutoring may well succeed in full fat but as the title says has anyone had any luck in brining their youngsters through in FMT this year? 

Playing as West Ham I am now starting the third season and have got a few who seem to have decent potential but even a couple of years farmed out on loan hasn't really improved them and one or two have gone backwards with the Assistants opinion of the player decreasing rather than increasing in most cases.  In Reece Oxford and Reece Burke I have two that are improving slightly but I am not convinced that they are at first team level as yet, but at the same time I am unsure if another loan will help and I am wondering if staying at the Club with time on the bench would be more beneficial?

So how do you bring young players through?  Just loan them out and hope, take the training yourself and try and develop them personally or just give them time in and around the first team squad?

I have had no luck at all.  Usually loan them out and hope, but that hasn't worked for me yet.

A few I've kept at the club, and tried a few things, but that hasn't worked either.  Unless somebody is clearly going to be a red hot player, I've had very little luck.

Youngsters need game time. If you have a hot prospect/future first teamer, give him game time.

It's one thing to loan him out, but he'll be getting football at a lower level, so can only improve so much. If you are loaning out the player because you won't be able to give him game time, at least make sure it's at a level equal or above his ability so that he can learn. Pointless sending a Championship striker in ability on loan to a Conference team. What will he learn?

I've had a lot of success with players who aren't particularly good enough for the top but useful none the less squad players.

A couple of injury crisis have forced me to use players you typically probably wouldn't look at when playing a game as Stoke quite recently. A defender O'Reilly (which if memory serves was only a -4 or -5 PA player) actually came in, did quite well and ultimately went on to a championship side as well as -7 PA Oliver Shenton being a regular squad player for me in my Stoke side. 

As Hunter says, they need game time, its generally a question that all clubs face - do you want to buy ready made or on the verge of ready players or do you want to develop and mould them yourselves.

4 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Youngsters need game time. If you have a hot prospect/future first teamer, give him game time.

It's one thing to loan him out, but he'll be getting football at a lower level, so can only improve so much. If you are loaning out the player because you won't be able to give him game time, at least make sure it's at a level equal or above his ability so that he can learn. Pointless sending a Championship striker in ability on loan to a Conference team. What will he learn?

Most of mine to be fair have gone to either Championship sides or in the case of Oxford and Burke another Premier League team.  I think it's probably more difficult with defenders..  I am having some success and Reid and Ogbonna are doing really well with Mammana as a back up so it's difficult to give Oxford and Burke chances.  Suspect that's the same IRL though as if defenders make mistakes it costs goals where in another position you can probably gamble a little bit.

Of course, full fat or FMT, I basically build my teams around youth, it's the best way to play.

Coincidentally, in the odd save (usually as Bradford) I've developed Reece Burke into a monster.

On 28/07/2016 at 21:11, BoxToBox said:

Of course, full fat or FMT, I basically build my teams around youth, it's the best way to play.

Coincidentally, in the odd save (usually as Bradford) I've developed Reece Burke into a monster.

Any tips for doing so in FMT? Just play them?

1 hour ago, Lashley said:

Yup, just play them, really.

One  thing you can do, if a player's not ready for first team, is keep them on the bench and put them on for the last 20 minutes of every game you can get away with. That'll be enough to help them grow nicely.

1 hour ago, Lashley said:

Yup, just play them, really.

One  thing you can do, if a player's not ready for first team, is keep them on the bench and put them on for the last 20 minutes of every game you can get away with. That'll be enough to help them grow nicely.

Archived