How good can a player become by only training and playing for U21?

I am managing Everton and I have 20 players which are all basically first team players (I rotate a lot like Benitez' Liverpool) and practically no place for 1.5 stars 18 year old players.

They are all playing for U21/18 and training with first team.

But lately I have been getting a lot of loan offers for them from clubs from Championship/Ligue 1/Ligue 2 saying they would be first team regular players or key players.

These are some of the best youth prospects I have doubts about whether or not they can develop more by playing for U21 and training with first team.

Stephen Haim

Jose Pinto

Joao Vicente

Mitch Visser

Joao Filipe

Last two are players who are developing a lot with current method and I gave them a game or two vs smaller teams but not nearly enough for consistent progress.

How do you decide when is the time that a player is ready for being loaned out?

Please don't get the swear filter working, there's no need for it.

In terms of your questions, there is no definitive answer. At some point you need to get them more and more involved with first team games.

For example - perhaps you have a potentially brilliant young player in your youth team, along with an excellent key player and a not as good back up for him in your first team. Once you see the youngster is coming along nicely in comparison to your back up player, you could sell your back up and move the youngster to the first team as back up. Eventually that youngster may be knocking on the door of your key player, in which case it's time to sell your key player. Exactly when those times will come is up to you to decide.

For loaning out players, I tend to never do that for my high potential youngsters who I expect to be getting a first team spot. That's because if you loan a player out, you have zero control over their development. Players who I don't think will make the grade I do sometimes loan out, if only to increase their value before selling them.

Firstly I apologize.

I agree but the problem is that my backup for centre back are Brendan Galloway and Jagielka, my backup wingers are Pulisic and Delofeu and my midfield consists of Xhaka, Barkley, Allan (three players starting), Kovačić, Bešić and Fernando Gago. My strikers are Lukaku and Andrei Ivan.

So, do I just keep all my players training with first team until Gago becomes old, Jagielka retires etc?

No worries.

Lets take Stephen Haim as an example.

The only way I'd play him in the first team at the moment is if everyone else was injured. He's not ready. Depending on how quickly he develops (and on how brave you feel), he's probably got another couple of years playing almost exclusively in one of your youth teams.

The issue you actually have is whether to buy a back up player to replace Jagielka if you think he is past it until such time as Haim is ready. This is where your own bravery comes into play - Galloway should be an excellent rotation option for you by now, which probably gives you 3 decent options + Jagielka and Haim? If you are happy with 3, then you could offload Jagielka and promote Haim to the first team as back up, either now or at the end of the season.

You can still select Haim for the U21s or U18s, and just play him in the first team when all your other options are exhausted. Then increase his number of first team appearances as he improves.

By the way, he also needs tutoring by a senior player with high levels of Professionalism and Determination. Start by looking at your senior players who have a Professional, Resolute or Spirited personality (Hint - use Jagielka to tutor Haim ;)).

Jagielka is tutoring a 16 year old Czech who has a bit worse personality than Haim. Was tutoring Haim before this Czech lad.

All my youth plays for u21/18.

And I am aiming to retire Jagielka and make him a coach since he has brilliant personality and solid youth coaching attributes (15 working with youngsters, 15 mental and 16 determination, 13 defending and 10 tactical) and I will play him less and less until he decided to call it quits, same way I retired Osman at the start of this season.

I would currently not be happy with 3 centre backs since Stones plays Right Back when Coleman is tired (have a 16 yr old Czech [i do love czechs :p ] as a young prospect but is not nearly good enough) which would basically leave me with 2 CBs for a lot of games and would force me to play Haim. And I am not comfortable yet with him as basically my third option. I will start to play him at the end of the season.

But I do understand what you are pointing out, thanks.

Hi,

I have a question related with this subject.

I currently playing with Benfica that have a B team.

I have 5 or 6 young players in my team that i've made available to play in my reserve team. Because i have a B team (Benfica B that plays in the portuguese second division) when i make the players available for the reserve team they will play in the B team.

My question is, because they play in the B team and not in a reserve or u21/18 team, that game time helps more in the player development?

Those it count the same when compare to the game time with the main team?

I bring through a butt load of regens, developing youth is the best part of the game.

Generally my working practice hasn't changed for a while. I tutor them to get PPMs and determination satisfactory, I iron out any kinks in their stats and then I either chuck them in the first team or loan them out.

By iron out any kinks, I'm talking a striker with a real lack of finishing or movement, a midfielder that's got abnormally low passing or a defender that can't tackle. Stats that you can't rely AI coaches to focus on solely.

But once I'm happy with the "shape" of a player and just want his CA to grow, balanced across the board, that's when he's straight out on loan.

Don't ever send them out to be "cover for the first team" though. Unless, that is, your training set up is diabolical. ;)

I usually like to chuck players in as early as possible and lean on my U19s/U21s for backup as opposed to buying in too many backup/rotation options. First team experience is vital to their development and if they're on the cusp of being good enough then a few sub appearances and starts can boost them up to the required level very quickly.

Regarding your players, I would consider Vicente, Visser and Filipe as being almost ready for a handful of appearances. If you can afford a bit of inconsistency in terms of results then go for it. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the community who has had fantastic performances from players that seem to be - on paper at least - not of the required quality.

As herne says, it all depends on how brave you are willing to be.

Archived