EA Sports gets J. League license. Any chance for Sigames and FM?

I'm not doubting you but that article says nothing about licensing, just sponsorship of the league. Now obviously the likelihood of doing a sponsorship deal without some licensing aspect is low but still, is there a more informative link?

http://www.fifagamenews.com/fifa-17-include-japanese-league/

The big news is: Konami lost J. League license. Moreover, Konami announced to drop the license before this agreement with EA Sports.

So, we have two scenarios:

-J. League license is now free and any company may purchase it for non-exclusive contents (as much as late 99s and early 2000s).

-EA Sports has got the exclusive rights. In this case, I have the small hope that Sigames will try to talk to get a third party license.

I think is unlikely that EA Sports has bought the exclusive license.

That was a crazy and non-sense action made by Konami.

J. League is not an important league like Premier, Liga or Serie A. Only a "small" group of people has interest on it, especially FM users.

I would be surprised if EA has spent so much money to get the exclusive license.

Sigames, could you give more info about that? Any chance to see the japanese league on FM17?

I don't think they're going to tell you anything, until (if) they have a signed contract in-hand.

Also FM hasn't added any new leagues for ages, assuming the community will create them to be downloaded, so I'm not sure they're willing to invest much in that area, BUT the J-League is pretty important so they might reconsider that as an exception. It's certainly very annoying the way there's not even any real Japanese league players in the FM database, if that's dealt with it'd be a big advancement already.

If Konami had an exclusive license, and then EA now have a licence, I'd be amazed if it wasn't also exclusive. But then pretty much read back what noikeee said, as it's pretty much spot on. Only with a little more sprinkling of it being very unlikely to happen.

Ta. Interesting that this article only says "may" and discusses the "rumour" of EA taking on the license. Again, if Konami have let the license lapse and EA are sponsoring the league then it'd be odd for them not to pick up the license as well, but EA would usually have both deals sewn up for the time of the announcement, wouldn't they? They'd like to make a big thing of it, since their appeal has pretty much always been about licenses. Anyways, interesting to see what this means for FM, if anything.

Ross, let's stop with name calling (even if it is EA).

As for the OP if the License is up for renewal the I'm sure SI & Sega will make an attempt to get in but unless the vendor creates difference licences for action & simulation genre's I'd put my money on EA getting the deal done.

There's also the question of whether an untapped market exists for this type of game in Japan, I'm doubtful that it does which could preclude SI/Sega from making this a financial priority.

If EA is involved you can bet they are attempting to make it exclusive. They are as greedy as a fat kid on thanksgiving

Greedy, or just making completely understandable business decisions? Their practices may not be the best at times, but they've earned their domination of that side of things.

Ross, let's stop with name calling (even if it is EA).

As for the OP if the License is up for renewal the I'm sure SI & Sega will make an attempt to get in but unless the vendor creates difference licences for action & simulation genre's I'd put my money on EA getting the deal done.

There's also the question of whether an untapped market exists for this type of game in Japan, I'm doubtful that it does which could preclude SI/Sega from making this a financial priority.

Agreed. Given the money that EA have to throw at these things, and how much emphasis they put on having licenses (wasn't one of the "big" features of FIFA16 the fact that you could *gasp* play in real EPL stadiums? wow.), then I'd imagine it's unlikely that SI will get into any kind of bidding war, because they know they'll probably lose. They can sit back on their far superior match engine and database and know that they'll do fine without it.

best thing would be if SI and EA marge together :) what amazing game we would have. dreaming about this for years :)

I could think of nothing worse for the future of FM ...

Microtransactions... dumbing down... no progress in any sense... no support.

I think the most telling thing will be whether the cost of obtaining the licence for any league/country would outweigh the gain in a business sense to having them in game.

My guess is that it wouldn't benefit SI... unless there was a lovely link in the future to the other Asian leagues that are emerging as being lucrative

worst thing would be if SI and EA marge together :( what an absolute Frankenstein's monster of a game we would have. I'm having nightmares about this

Fixed that for you, because surely no-one could believe that a merger of those two companies - despite being absolute fantasy - would ever be a good thing in any way.

Tune to close this thread, I'm not a fan of EA myself but the official SI forum is not the place to discuss their business model.

Archived