[FM16] Oliver Jensen's Nomadic Career Thread II

fmFutbolManager

Oliver Jensen resigns as manager or AS Monaco FC.

Jensen, born in Kristiansund, Norway enjoyed great success at AS Monaco FC, lifting 3 league titles and winning 5 cup competitions.

His first venture into management was with Olhanense. During his time there, Jensen's team lifted the Taça da Liga once. After leaving Olhanense, he then took charge at Anderlecht. During his time with Paars-wit, his team lifted the Supercup van België 3 times, won the Cofidis Cuptwice and won the Jupiler Pro League 3 times.

Jensen also had a brief spell in charge of France, where they were disappointingly knocked out by Scotland at the World Cup in the first knockout round.

"I've enjoyed a lot of success at AS Monaco and leave this club in great shape for the future. Together we've come as far as we can. I want to thank the board and the fans for their unwavering support." Jensen told BBC Sport.

Jensen will now be looking for a new job in football management.

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

You can read more on Oliver Jensen's management career to date, here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380756-FM14-Oliver-Jensen-s-Nomadic-Career-Thread

DclKS8g.png

In the days leading up to Christmas I was offered the chance to interview with A.C.F Fiorentina. It looked like a good challenge. They currently sit 14th in Serie A 10 points outside of the european places.

With expectations being low—a mid table finish expected—I thought it would be a good challenge. Interview attended, and on boxing day, an offer came through.

Contract value: €9,250 p/w over the next three years. I duly accept and look forward to this exciting twist in my career.

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

I thought I could come here, play my usual quick, attacking game and walk away with a european place for my efforts. If I could do it at Anderlecht, I could do it with Fiorentina, despite what they told me.

There's just one problem. The Italians don't take kindly to you turning up, telling them that they can forget everything that they've been taught. And that you can play quick, attacking football if you want. We came crashing down to earth, fast.

I'm going to have to relearn everything. It's back to basics.

January 2016 | A.C.F Fiorentina monthly review

9QpOwJC.png

Results | Serie A

2PcTdI3.png

It wasn't the start I had in mind. We were playing Lazio, mid table like us. We went 4-2-3-1 attacking. After 29 minutes we were ahead, I sat back in the dugout with a smug look on my face... for seven whole minutes. Felipe Anderson equalised. Seven minutes later it was 2-1. I tell the players to keep their heads but it's no use. Half of them don't understand my broken Italian and we're 3-1 down before the hour mark. Biglia made it four with little left on the clock. I barely have the face to sit in the dressing room after the game. It was my fault.

Four days later, and no real time to learn my philosophy after I give the team a day off on Thursday we play Genoa at home. We've been working on attacking in training. We have Giuseppi Rossi after all. I learn fast that Stadio Artemio Franchi is a lonely place when you don't know what is going wrong. 28,000 fans pop in to see what I have planned for this team, and it's not good. Despite Genoa playing almost half the game with 10 men, we cannot find a way through. They're solid in defence and our attacks go no where. We're 3-0 down on 58 minutes. I sink my head into my merino wool jumper, and hide away. I need a new approach.

I change shape, back to my trusted 4-3-3 and we go a bit more flexible. Out goes Rossi, in comes Kalinic. It works. We go 1 up after 24 minutes through Kalinic. He doubles the lead on 74 minutes and despite a scare we hold on. We win.

After the cup match against Lazio, we're bouncing. The new philosophy is taking shape, Frédéric Bompard has joined to be my trusted assistant. Milan is the test. We fail. Despite going into half-time a goal a piece, they're just too good for us. The have an answer for everything we throw their way and eventually power to a 3-1 win. I tell the lads not to be disappointed by it, we're on the right tracks.

Torino. On paper an easy game, and on the pitch it proved easy, too! Blaszczykowski is all over them after changing his instructions from an inside forward to winger. A 3-0 win is what we deserved. We've won half our games in my first month. I've not had that much time with the squad having been chucked in at the deep end. But we're headed in the right direction.

There's no danger of us being relegated, and despite telling the board I'd get them a mid table finish, I think we can grab a european spot.

I7pBwsS.png

Results | Italian Cup Qtr Final

AHlsmAm.png

You know when it just 'clicks', this was the game. We were outstanding in every department. We spread the scoring around and quite frankly if we play like this every month we'll be just fine.

Tomovic was excellent at right back, Ilicic was outstanding cutting in from the left. I like this group of players!

Managers thoughts...

I decided not to invest in the squad, despite having €11m available to spend. I want to see what these guys can do and will them make my required changes over the summer. I've just seen what is ahead next month. I regret that decision already. We have a thin squad and it's really going to be tested now.

Fixtures for next month.

97VGdFJ.png

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

February 2016 | A.C.F Fiorentina monthly review

9QpOwJC.png

Results | Serie A

GyUHneT.png

Italy is a tough place to manage when you have no money, a lot of injuries and a poor squad. But we do what we can with what we have. February is a short month, made to feel shorter when you have to play 7 games with a small squad.

We opened the month with a poor loss to Carpi. I rotated the squad and in fairness we should have taken them. We dominated possession and shots but we just couldn't find the goal and Carpi's 48th minute goal was enough to seal the win for them.

Bologna and Atalanta were better games. Both won a by a single goal. Games we dominated again, but we're struggling for that cutting edge in the final third. Plenty of half chances but no real clear cut chances created. We need to work more on this if we're going to finish strong in the league.

The final league game came at home to Palermo. Much of the same again, a game we dominated and Valero scored a nicely worked goal on 29 minutes and we should have gone on to score more, but our impotence in front of goal cost us and Palermo equalised on 87 minutes to take two points away from us to snatch one for themselves. It was a gutting result considering we had 64% possession and nearly 20 shots on goal.

We have to get more clinical in front of goal if we're going to climb the league table. It doesn't help that Rossi is out injured and attempts to strengthen the squad over the summer seem to be failing already with players uninterested in joining us.

8lWut72.png

Results | Italian Cup Semi Final

dQzoX2U.png

Same story for us. We had the majority of shots and possession but stale in front of goal. It's a concern. If we're to progress as a team we need to find the right balance and a way to get the strikers firing. We're creating the chances, that's for sure, but we need more composure. We have the second leg first up in March and we'll be going for it.

Results | UEFA Europa League 1st Knockout Round

The Europa League is not at the top of our priorities and the quality of the Spurs squad shows as they comfortably beat us over the two legs. The first game was an even affair and a draw was probably the right result. Having given Spurs an away goal we had to score at their place. We gave away an early penalty and pressing forward in search of two goals cost us as Spurs broke and got a second which sealed the tie. We won't lose much sleep over this exit.

8XQva4Z.png

Managers thoughts...

A tough month over with and we move into March with plenty to be happy about. Our league form has been good and if we can come away from March with 7 points I'll be pleased.

Fixtures for next month.

Yj1HbKy.png

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

March 2016 | A.C.F Fiorentina monthly review

9QpOwJC.png

Results | Serie A

E6do9Pr.png

I wanted 7 points from this months games, and we weren't far off it. We should have done with the final game, but these things happen in football.

We started the league games against Roma, and against my better judgement we went 4-2-3-1 with two defensive midfielders. We were 3-0 down after 37 minutes. Bloody Roma. We've played them 3 times in the past 7 games and lost all 3. We switched back to 4-3-3 but it was too late. We pulled on back through the ever dependable Blaszczykowski but it was too late.

The next 2 games were better. We found our scoring boots. Ilicic was immense on the left. Against Empoli we were a little lucky, it was an even game and fortunately we were the ones to turn up with our shooting boots, albeit at the last minute. Young Bernardeschi continued his impressive form and scored a tap in after some excellent work on the left by Pasqual. Ilicic made it 2 as Empoli push for an equaliser. Sampdoria was a frustrating game, despite dominating and taking a lead on 34 minutes, they equalised on 56 minutes. However, Ilicic scored an excellent overhead kick to give us the lead and we held on.

The final game we lost to Verona. It was a scrappy game where we managed a grand total of ZERO shots on target. We must do better than that.

xqCkDzr.png

Results | Italian Cup Semi Final

dQzoX2U.png

Bloody Roma. We had the majority of the possession and chances but they are too good in defence. We huffed and puffed but it wasn't enough. We needed better options but we didn't have them. We did well to come this far so I'm proud of the players.

Managers thoughts...

Not a bad month. No chance of European football next year which might not be such a bad thing as our squad is thinning and my best players want more than double in wages to renew their expiring contracts. It'll be difficult to hold onto them. Next month will not be easy. We've probably only got a realistic chance of getting anything off Frosinone who languish in the relegation zone.

Rebuilding is required. And I've a few players lined up to come in over the summer. I fear free transfers will be our main source of replenishments.

Fixtures for next month.

cNnfh6Y.png

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

April 2016 | A.C.F Fiorentina monthly review

9QpOwJC.png

Results | Serie A

W3zQtJb.png

Dreadful month. I take the blame for trying to make us play in a style that isn't befitting of the players we have here. Inter wiped the floor with us. We just didn't turn up. Juventus was a much better result. The champions elect were average at best and we matched them all the way, but our lack of ability in front of goal meant we settled for a draw, a very unexpected result, all things considered.

Udinese were difficult to break down but on the 65th minute my captain, Pasqual, tapped in a simple goal to put us ahead. I tried to firm things up but it worked against us, Théréau equilised immidiately on 68 minutes and the final blow came on 85 minutes when Iturra capitalised on a mistake by Ilicic. That put the result beyond us.

Despite going down to 10 men on 36 minutes and having almost no shots or possession Napoli came to Artemio Franchi and stole all three points with both goals from Higuaín. Just goes to show what can happen when you have the quality available to you.

We finished the month against already relegated Frosinone. And we were dreadful. Moral is rock bottom and the players have lost hope. We managed to get a draw out of it and that result flattered me if I'm honest.

Things have to change...

6t9ssdJ.png

Managers thoughts...

Seventh. The media predicted a finish of 7th in the league at the start of the season. I've dragged us down to 15th and if I'm honest it's been a shock to the system. With average players you have to roll up your sleeves and get dirty. At this late stage, with just three games remaining I've changed things up and asked the team to play differently. We're going to go a bit more structured and try do things simple.

Here's hoping it works, otherwise I'll be looking out for a new job.

Fixtures for next month.

Z9i9Sy0.png

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

May 2016 | A.C.F Fiorentina monthly review

9QpOwJC.png

Results | Serie A

I don't think I could have ever predicted that. As mentioned last month, we needed to change things, and fast. We decided to go back to basics. A standard mentality and structured shape. And it worked.

vjGOBgv.png

We started the month with a tricky away game against Sassuolo who were sitting comfortably in the european places. It isn't an easy place to go, but two excellent goals by Ilicic and Valero either side of an Sansone goal ensured a much needed victory, and more importantly a moral boosting game.

We then had another tricky game against Lazio and we matched them punch for punch, however, in the dying moments the substitute Blaszczykowski scored a tap in to give us the points.

Finally we went to Luigi Ferraris to face Genoa. In fairness they had nothing to play for, but that man Blaszczykowski waltzed through 5 players before cooly slotting past the keeper. We tightened things up for the final 10 and held on for a perfect month.

NqZjS7X.png

Managers thoughts...

What a huge contract from last month. Keeping things simple we managed to defeat some strong teams. Now the rebuilding starts. We have some average players on big wages so shifting them will be a tough task. I have a few players in mind, and I'll be keeping an eye out for released players, on account of us having no money.

Season review coming up...

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

End of Season Review 2015/16 | A.C.F Fiorentina Annual Review

9QpOwJC.png

Review | Serie A | 11th

Board expectation: Finish mid-table

Joining during the season at a club that has sacked their manager for under performance is never easy. Moral is low, your philosophy needs to bed in over important games rather than pre-season and you don't have the benefit of bringing in your own players. So I made do with what I have. I brought in my own staff, and hired an assistant. We were average to say the least. We swapped playing styles a little until we found the right balance with the players at my disposal.

I think 11th is a fair position for us. The aim next year has to be to get back into the european positions. It's there for the taking.

Review | Italian Cup | Semi Finalists

Board minimum expectation: Reach quarter final

It wasn't important to me, but good that we exceeded expectations with a semi final appearance. Roma were just too strong for us, however. I wouldn't have fancied our chances against Juventus in the final, but it was good for moral and my own safety to finish as well as we did.

Review | UEFA Europa League | First Knockout Round

Board minimum expectation: Reach the group stage

Spurs were just too good for us. They also caught us at a good time, when we had a game every other day due to fixture congestion. I'm thankful for the lack of european football next season, it'll give us a chance at bettering our league position. However, the minimum expectation has to be for us to get back into Europe next season.

Managers top player

Mati Fernández (click for screenshot)

Mati has been a key player for me all season. Effortless with the ball at his feet. He is our main conduit into the attack from defence. I'm very pleased he agreed to sign a new contract with us as I feel he will become even more important as we build on this season.

Managers most improved player

Josip Ilicic (click for screenshot)

Scored some vital goals for us and player out of position when injuries hit us. He was a bit hit and miss to begin with but as he learned the system he came into his own. Very excited for his future at the club.

What's Next...

New season preview coming soon...

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

Season Preview 2016/17 | A.C.F Fiorentina Season preview

9QpOwJC.png

Board Expectations | My Expectations

Serie A: Top half finish | Push for european place

Italian Cup: Reach Quarter Finals | Reach Quarter Finals

Despite some very up and down form, I think we've found a good working philosophy. The key will be getting the influx of players to gel and work together. We had a lot finishing contracts and key players loaned to us so I've tried to add some stability, and have promoted a number of youth players to the senior squad to give them a chance.

With no european football I think we have a good chance of progressing in the league with our small and relatively young squad. We've spent a lot of money and I'll need to show we're moving in the right direction if the board are to trust me with rebuilding this team.

Finances

Transfer budget: €43,060,915

Wage budget: €1,324,701 (currently spending €1.2m)

Bank balance: €25,955,062 (at 11 July 2016)

A great budget helped by ever increasing TV money. We've had an increase in sponsorship, but the lack of european football will dent the profits. I've tried to sign many players with low fees as we needed to add quality throughout the squad.

What's Next...

We have 6 friendlies lined to to refresh the philosophy with the players and try to get them match sharp for the new season. Most are easy games, but we have asked Dortmund to come to Artemio Franchi so that'll be a good test. Next update in August.

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

August 2016 | A.C.F Fiorentina monthly review

9QpOwJC.png

Results | Friendlies

VNI2aGl.png

Everyone knows friendlies are not important. They're for fitness and getting reacquainted with the philosophy. However, we had some great results, particularly the result over a strong Dortmund side, and then we had some poor results, like the result against Alcoyano. But, they are friendlies. We got through them in full fitness and an accomplished learning of the philosophy.

Results | Serie A

The start of a new season is the time you want to show what you can do. Make a good start and keep up the morale. So everyone hopes they can get a newly promoted side, or one who you would expect to be fighting relegation...

lhtk4rg.png

Brilliant. We were all over the place against Pescara, who are newly promoted. They got a goal with their only on target shot of the game, and it goes to show that if you take your chances you have a good chance of winning football matches. We need to do that.

Bingo. We did it. Cagliari should have been a game we won and we didn't disappoint. Fresh off the back of a disappointing result we came out and hammered them. New signing Pavón, who I hadn't expected to make such an impact came in from the left on 54 minutes to tuck in an easy finish. Parigini, a winger who I'm training as a striker replaced the injured Rossi on 7 minutes, doubled the lead on 77 minutes, finishing from another Gilberto cross. Bernardeschi finished the scoring in injury time.

A satisfying result.

UNaKvxn.png

Results | Italian Cup 3rd Qual. Rnd

i1zYp8U.png

A formality really. Rossi getting both goals in a game we dominated from start to finish earning us a match against Carpi in the 4th Qual. Rnd.

Transfers out

L4N00YQ.png

A couple of players out. Babacar never got going last year despite the chances we gave him, same as Kalinic. I was happy to let them both go and bring in some cash to strengthen other areas of the squad. A lot of players out on loan, too.

Transfers in

Xb5Ef5D.png

A lot of money spent. A huge fee for Verre but I think he can become a key player for us in a couple of seasons. Pavón also looks like he could be a good signing for us. Other areas were adding bodies to a small squad. Rajkovic will be excellent for us I'm sure, a really good keeper. Astori was a transfer agreed before I arrived. Mayoral will be excellent for us up front I'm sure. Pozzebon is one for the future.

Key players.

Predrag Rajkovic. An excellent goalkeeper that I've put in probably before his time. I think he can become a key player for us.

Vittorio Parigini. Young, but I'm training him to be an advanced forward. He's quick and has a good eye for goal, scoring 6 in pre-season.

Cristian Pavón. Another good buy for us. I'm sure he'll be well with the money we paid come a couple of seasons.

Managers thoughts...

A good pre-season behind us. A fully fit squad, except for Rossi who is out for about a week or so. Some good buys, no one spectacular, but we need to build the squad up. I've made some young signings and will continue to promote from the academy where we can so I'll be looking for younger players that we can grow.

Looking forward to the season ahead.

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

This will be my last update.

September 2016 | A.C.F Fiorentina monthly review

9QpOwJC.png

Results | Serie A

Dreadful month. Not sure why the board are sticking with me. I may walk before they sack me though. It's been tough. Nothing is working. We're creating lots of chances, but we just cannot put them away. To compound that we're dreadful defending.

c8xaxSf.png

The month started with a promising away draw against Napoli. That's about as promising as it got for us. Udinese was a crazy game, we had 29 shots to their 21. 4 of ours being clear cut compared to none of theirs yet we came away with no points.

Carpi, bottom of the league, twice went ahead and we pegged them back. We tried and tried but couldn't find the winner. They went close at the end so in all it was a lucky draw, but we should be winning these games.

Finally Roma. Bloody Roma. We were 2 down after 15 minutes and it looked like this could be my final game in charge. Attacking wasn't working, so we went defensive to prevent a humiliation. We actually got a good goal back through Pavón to show some promise but it wasn't enough.

Perhaps playing defensive is the way to go. We were very impressive from then on and looked the likely to get the next goal...

4NWI6sm.png

Managers thoughts...

A dreadful month, and if results don't improve fast I'll be out of a job. I'm going to start playing more defensive, drawing teams onto us and utilising our pace to break away in an attempt to score.

Hopefully things pick up... Who knows what will happen...

Fixtures for next month.

BwJOHHW.png

Thank you to those who may have been reading.

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

Fair enough. I usually go by the number of views my thread has had, as I know how easy it is to read a thread and forget to comment once in a while.

I know exactly what you mean about updating taking time away from actually playing, though. We all start out with high ambitions for our career threads. ;)

I'm fine with slow progress in my own save, but if you would like to go faster but still share your exploits, maybe try short yearly summaries instead?

October 2016 | A.C.F Fiorentina monthly review

9QpOwJC.png

Results | Serie A

When you see it like this, it really is bad. The board requested their meeting after Chievo, understandably. Juventus wasn't great, we were smashed all over the park. Then I made some changes and Milan looked better and we were unlucky to lose. Cesena we built on those improvements. My job could just be saved...

The Results

inADcxn.png

I've promised the board that results will improve.

The League Table

HOBj89u.png

Managers thoughts...

Another dreadful month. I've lost the players, the board and probably the fans. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I can do better than this. I was never bad at this. I will turn it around. It starts now!

Fixtures for next month.

v7SG2eo.png

Thank you for reading.

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

November 2016 | A.C.F Fiorentina monthly review

9QpOwJC.png

Results | Serie A

Back to basics, Part II. I removed all team instructions, player instructions and opposition instructions and decided to let the team just play. It worked. We now have 3 wins in 5 and the board have assured me my job is safe. But that's not good enough. A number of players are staying on the promise of european football. We must push on now.

The season starts here.

The Results

WAPxggd.png

We need to work on that goal difference.

The League Table

AYfVSHR.png

Managers thoughts...

It certainly started! But we must continue. I don't have any money to spend now after our summer spending, so we regroup with the players we have and push on together. It's us against the world, or just the rest of Serie A.

Fixtures for next month.

Ou0sNRN.png

Thank you for reading.

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

• 2 weeks later...

December 2016 | A.C.F Fiorentina monthly review

9QpOwJC.png

Results | Serie A

Our good form continues. Three wins in 4 games and things are staring to turn around for us. The Lazio result was difficult to take, considering how even the match was, but I can't be too critical.

The Results

8ECQjLr.png

Last month I wanted to work on goal difference, along with the wins. We have 3 clean sheets in a row, including the cup game. The league is looking bad still, we need to keep this form up.

The League Table

AiU3h7i.png

Results | Italian Cup 1st Round

A great win over Sassuolo. We were excellent in every position and things seem to be clicking into place. I'm not too concerned with the cup, but it'll be good to meat the board objective of a quarter final place. Sampdoria await.

NErjoKn.png

Managers thoughts...

The good form continues. We have no money, though. And our wages are a little on the high side which is a shame as there are some good players with expiring contracts available. We need to keep up this form and see where it takes us.

Fixtures for next month.

oixSfYi.png

Thank you for reading.

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

Good Luck mate. Italy is a tough place to manage sometimes, they don't give you enough time and the fans and board are demanding sometimes.

Cheers,

Bitner

Hey, thanks for stopping by! Always good to have new faces.

I'm finding it quite tough, struggling more with the players to be honest. They're all a moany bunch here. Just put a couple on the transfer list for complaining all the time.

How was your Youth Intake from last year? Any potentials?

Hey, welcome!

They were okay, nothing special. But that's not surprising considering the state of our youth setup. It was demoted recently and the board don't want to improve it.

All the players are problematic, i had the same problem managing in Poland, and i'm at a small team. (Zawisza)

I always sell the troublemakers, no matter how good they are.

Cheers,

Bitner

January 2017 | A.C.F Fiorentina monthly review

9QpOwJC.png

Results | Serie A

Our good form ends. That great defensive month of clean sheets turns to crap. I cannot believe how easily we're folding to teams. We're having plenty of possession and shots but we just cannot put the ball in the back of the net. Good, clear chances, too. If our form continues like this I'll be lucky to get to the end of the season. We're flirting with relegation once more.

The Results

mIy7liB.png

The table doesn't make good viewing.

The League Table

RVQSOgI.png

Managers thoughts...

How I'm still in a job I don't know. Nothing pleasing from this run of results and our position in the league shows no signs of improving. Walking into the office as if each day will be my last.

Fixtures for next month.

Wi2kkJt.png

Thank you for reading.

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

Tell me about it. Nothing seems to be working. No luck at the minute. We're getting plenty of shots off. Sampdoria we had 5 clear cut chances, but you'll see what happened in that result shortly...

But for now...

JNmOZos.png

I've promised to win the next game. Else I lose my job.

Well, that's that.

We had to beat Udinese in our last game, and despite the 4 clear cut chances to finish the game compared to their 0 clear cut chances, we lose the game. Typical of my time here. It never seemed to matter if we have more possession and more shots we just kept losing. Everything was against us.

Don't know what else I could have possibly have done to save my job, either. And that's the worrying thing.

XWsgPKL.png

It was coming, really. Good Luck in your next team, hope the squad don't turn against you next time.

Cheers,

Bitner

Yeah it had been on the cards. Learnt a lot during my time there. Hopefully the next role will come with a bit more luck. However, I didn't realise just how low my reputation is so I'll probably have to drop down a little and work my way up again.

Awww, man.

Good luck with your next job!

Thanks! Hopefully have an update soon.

To be honest, they were quite patient anyway. You'll do better at your next club. :thup:

I did wonder how I managed to last so long. Hopefully I'll come up with some better ideas in my next role. I'd underestimated the league in Italy.

I have a new job!

It was an easy decision to make. Leicester are a strong club, with solid financial backing. However, they were relegated last season, so I'm dropping to the Championship next season. Promotion is a must by any means necessary.

The next chapter starts here.

pOTT6st.png

jhm6D7r.png

So, this is the squad I've inherited. Unfortunately Vardy, Mahrez, Fuchs and Kante want to leave and won't give me until the end of the season. Replacing those players is going to be hard, considering the league we're in. With them I think we have a good shot at the top 2 places. Without, and without reasonable replacements I think we'll struggle.

1sUOoIk.png

Archived