Graphic/Update makers - Is this site making money from your work?

nakabhoy

One could also quite easily say the same of SI themselves, their tacit approval of kits, logos and real competition names, along with easily change text based files which unlock all the copy right infringed player names and clubs (eg Japan/Germany), SI could be seen as allowing other people to have their copyright infringed, on their very own website.

For a company which holds their own copyright as holy code, I would have thought they would take a stronger stance against people using their own product to infringe copyright.

SI aren't breaking copyright rules, they have mearly build customisation into the game.

I lol, 99% of the people who make the pictures, logos and kits are infringing the copyright of the people who actually own the rights to that picture, kit or logo anyway.

Just because you don't make money from it does not give you the right to moralise and act as if this guy is scum when you are all doing the exact same thing.

Utterly, totally wrong.

Let's for example look at the T&C's on the arsenal club website:

"All content of this web site including but not limited to the text, photographs, images, graphics, illustrations, designs, written and other material including the program and code that operates this web site (together the "content") is protected by copyright, trade mark and/or other proprietary rights owned by or licensed to Arsenal Broadband Limited. Should you choose to download print or copy any content from this web site, you must do so only in accordance with these terms. Such activity is permitted only for your personal use or for supply to third parties for no commercial gain and for their personal use only."

This is a standard thing related to copyright law itself. Graphics makers are doing NOTHING wrong. Selling however is breaking the law.

One could also quite easily say the same of SI themselves, their tacit approval of kits, logos and real competition names, along with easily change text based files which unlock all the copy right infringed player names and clubs (eg Japan/Germany), SI could be seen as allowing other people to have their copyright infringed, on their very own website.

For a company which holds their own copyright as holy code, I would have thought they would take a stronger stance against people using their own product to infringe copyright.

Wrong again.

An off the shelf copy of FM breaks no copyright laws. There is no law stating that a game cannot be made easily customisable. Users are not breaking the law by adding graphics or changing team names themselves as shown above (personal use for no profit is fine).

Requests for actual graphics are banned here and talk of lnc files is banned too. There is no information available on any SI website showing users how to get around copyright.

On this basis you can say that any and every game which is opening to modding can be accused of breaking copyright law under the same guise.

I remember playing Quake 2 and having skin mods for Robocop and Wolverine. Your modern Half Lifes and Call of Dutys are modded to pieces and I am sure would have copyrighted material.

I don't see where Arsenal allows kit/logo makers to steal their logo/kit and put it into a game? It says download, print or copy. It does not say modify, which is what a kit/logo maker would have to do, unless Arsenal release FM-ready kits and logos.

I also did not say SI were breaking laws. I simply said someone could easily hold the view that SI were allowing people to use their software to infringe or other's copyright, for example by not locking the team names of those clubs they do not have licenses for so that they cannot be renamed as easily as deleting or text editing a basic text file.

I don't see where Arsenal allows kit/logo makers to steal their logo/kit and put it into a game? It says download, print or copy. It does not say modify, which is what a kit/logo maker would have to do, unless Arsenal release FM-ready kits and logos

Stop wilfully being an arse. The legal guff on Arsenal's site basically says you can download or copy content from their site if it's for personal/non-commercial use, which using it for an fm logo is. Pretty clear that.

The infringement is against Arsenal etc, not the graphic pack makers anyway. As they can't copyright something they don't own the copyrights to.

Also I've not seen many graphi packs which have a Copyright Discloure in, i.e. saying the Arsenal Kit in this pack, is property of Arsenal Football Club and Nike, and the Fly Emirates logo is trademark of Emirates Airlines.

Download, print, copy = obtaining the material.

Modify = a use of the material, doing something with it.

Personal use is explicitly allowed. For example, I download the arsenal badge from the website. My personal use for the badge is to get rid of the background and resize it.

As for the second point, team names/player names probably fall under a trademark. They aren't 'works' as such. An individual isn't breaking any law by using a trademark for non commercial purposes. I'm not breaking the law by writing 'FC Bayern Munich' on piece of paper just as much as I'm not breaking it if I enable it in Football Manager. SI don't explain the procedure or condone it, despite making it simple so they're not doing anything wrong.

The infringement is against Arsenal etc, not the graphic pack makers anyway. As they can't copyright something they don't own the copyrights to.

That's always been pretty clear through this thread but at the same time there are several 'skins' included in the pack. These are very much the copyrighted work of community members.

just seen this my point was regarding the fact doing the kits and badges etc. are for personal or 3rd party use not making a profit yet at £3 a disk he IS making a profit on it, as unless he gets his price for web hosting, domain name and the price of discs set once he has made that money he stops its no profit, however if he continues to sell them they are for profit. for example (crappy example TBH)

Site hosting = £10

Domain = £10

50 blank DVD's = £10

he sells 1 DVD a £3 each if he stops when hes sold 30 hes doing it at non-profit. any more hes making more money than he needs and this then infringes copyright of all the clubs included in the packs, all the companys listed as kit manufacturer and main sponser and alot of players who own their own image rights.

Think this has run it's course so I'm going to close the thread.

What have we learnt from all this? When ebay and his web-hosts seemingly couldn't care less and don't even respond to emails, this shyster is going to continue trading and making profit from the work of community members.

Archived