[FM15] Where the Heck's It Gone? A hunt for lost glories...

DodgeeD

June 2040 International Update: Euro 2040 Group Stage

797.png

Hosts: Austria & Switzerland

Holders: Belgium

I came to Euro 2040 optimistic about our chances of getting out of the group but with no expectation of getting anywhere near winning it. W had a decent build up, easily beating local rivals Denmark, seeing off Georgia (both ranked above us), and finishing with a draw against co-hosts Austria.

Unfortunately, those games did result in some injury problems:

Euro%202040%20Injuries.png

It was a shame to lose Mahr as he is a decent player but the other injuries were more frustrating - all 3-4 weeks with no option to call up a replacement. By the time they're fit, we'll probably be at home already!

Matchday 1 v. Switzerland

Our toughest match was up first as we opened the tournament against the hosts. It soon became clear we were in for a tough evening as the Swiss ran all over us and got an early goal. Their striker Ahmetovic was running rings round my defenders and added a second before half-time. After the break, it was more of the same. Ahmetovic completed his hat-trick and then rubbed it in with one more late on. Not the best of starts and a terrible result for our goal difference.

Final Score: Sweden 0, Switzerland 4

Matchday 2 v. Slovakia

A chance to get our campaign back on track against a side we had easily beaten in qualifying. This time, we had the early play and the early goals with Nordin and Magnusson putting us two up inside ten minutes. Slovakia got themselves back in the game with a goal just before the break but we controlled the game in the second half, adding one more late on to secure the win.

Final Score: Slovakia 1, Sweden 3

Matchday 3 v. Ukraine

Goal difference meant a win was needed to go through automatically. Results in the other groups meant a draw would be enough to get one of the third-place slots. A defeat would leave our progress in the balance. We had the best of the first half and Nordin duly gave us the lead with his second of the tournament. Unfortunately, we couldn't keep it going in the second half as the players started to tire (remember, all those 'minor' injuries had left me with a squad of 18). A stupid, needless penalty let Ukraine back in it and they then took control and grabbed the winner 15 minutes from time to leave our tournament hanging in the balance....

Final Score: Sweden 1, Ukraine 2

Euro%202040%20Group%20A.png

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

June 2040 International Update: Euro 2040 Group Stage Round-Up

1301388.png

Here are the final group tables:

Euro%202040%20A-C.png

Euro%202040%20D-F.png

Thanks to winless performances from co-hosts Austria and Albania, a solitary win in Group A was enough to see us through. :)

Who's next?

Euro%202040%202ndR%20Draw.png

Oh... :(

July 2040 International Update: Euro 2040 Knockout Stages

1301388.png

2nd Round v. Germany

Well, that went pretty much as expected:

We were clearly second best in the game... And that's our Euros- 4 games, 3 defeats :(

The remaining knockout games were as follows:

Euro%202040%20KO.png

Croatia were the story of the tournament with a great run to the final. Portugal were the team to come out on top though.

July 2040 International Update: From Sweden...

797.png

The SvFF were impressed with Sweden making the knockout rounds, despite our sole victory coming against a side ranked 91st in the world:

Euro%202040%20FA%20Review.png

This was all too familiar - I received a similar message after achieving very little with Trinidad & Tobago at the Gold Cup several seasons ago. I also had the feeling then as I do now that the team is going nowhere - no great youngsters coming through and some of the best players on the verge of retiring...

So I decided to step down:

2040%20Sweden%20Quit.png

...to Portugal

788.png

2040%20Portugal%20Job.png

I'm in this to win trophies and I haven't won a major international one yet... So why not take the reigns at a side undefeated since the last World Cup, ranked 2nd in the world and one of the favourites to win it next time? ;)

Once Caldas 2040 Mid-Season Preview

420.png

Expectations

Liga Aguila Torneo Finallzacion: Reach the Group Stage

Liga Aguila Overall Table: Challenge for the title

(Media Expectation: 4th)

Copa Colombia Aguila: Not important

Copa Sudamericana: 2nd Preliminary Round

Welcome to the crazy world of South American football league systems! The apertura tournament has already finished with Once Caldas finishing 15th, well below the top 8 finish required to reach the group stage (hence my predecessor’s sacking and my appointment). We are now entering the closing stage (usually called clasura but here called finallzacion). If we meet expectations and make the top 8, we then enter a group of 4, play the other teams twice each, with the top sides from each group meeting in the final.

Still with me?

As for the cup, there has already been a group stage, which Once Caldas breezed through and we are now in the last 16 with two-legged knockout ties played from here onwards.

And we have a continental competition to contend with as well! Once Caldas will compete in the Copa Sudamericana, South America’s equivalent of the Europa League.

We’re gonna ned a bigger squad!

Transfers

Scouting range: Worldwide

2040 Transfer History

I brought in a few players to add depth to weak spots in the squad:

Andres Torres (DRL) – our first choice left back is currently sulking and demanding a move to Europe. I’ll wait for him to calm down but in the meantime, this youngster will do.

Julian Moreno (MC/AMC) – an experienced playmaker who will add some drive to the midfield.

Julio César Olivera (AMC) – another creative talent to support the attack but unfortunately got injured on his first day…

David Emuejayre (AML/ST) – We were lacking a decent left winger so this young Nigerian will do for now.

I’ll be aiming for the play-offs and then we’ll see how far we can go from there.

Brave move taking over a winning international team, with expectations so high.
International jobs are easy to quit if expectations are not being met ;)
Rather average Euros for you Dodgee.
Yea, international tournaments have been a bit of a disappointment in this career so far...

Hmm... This is the last post from before the Forum update, but according to my browser it's on page 6 of 8... The beginning of the thread also appears to be missing. Hopefully, it all gets sorted out soon

2040 Olympic Games

press_release_distribution_0272874_51592.png

Hosts: Mexico City, Mexico

Holders: Holland U23s

Shortly after taking over at Portugal, the Olympics came around. Sensing a chance to grab that gold that I narrowly missed out on with France in 2024, I told the U23 manager he could take the rest of the summer off and got on the plane to Mexico myself. However, I soon realised the scale of my task - while Saudi Arabia U23s would not pose much problem, we had also been drawn in a group with the hosts Mexico and Brazil....

Matchday 1 v. Mexico U23s

We got off to a rocky start with the home side piling the pressure and scoring an early goal. We held fast after that initial shock though and young Benfica winger Xavi pulled one back before the break. We then turned the tables grabbing an early second half goal and then sitting back to soak up the pressure and it worked.

Final Score: Mexico U23s 1, Portugal U23s 2

Matchday 2 v. Brazil U23s

Next up, the biggest test as we took on a strong Brazilian side. Again, we were on the backfoot early on but this time, there was no stopping our opponents as their star striker Robert scored a hat-trick with barely more than a quarter hour of play on the clock. A penalty converted by one of my overage contingent Faria gave us hope early in the second half but Robert soon grabbed his fourth of the night and a late consolation helped us make the scoreline look a little more respectable.

Final Score: Portugal U23s 2, Brazil U23s 4

Matchday 3 v. Saudia Arabia U23s

Going into the final match, we needed to better Mexico's result to guarantee going through. If we were both to win, it would come down to goal difference with Mexico on +1 going into the match to our -1. We got off to a great start taking the lead after 5 minutes but then the news came through that Mexico had also taken an early lead against Brazil. The scores remained the same going into the second half and we were finding it difficult to break down the Saudi defence. Just before the hour mark Soares got his second of the night to out us two goals up but Mexico still had the better goal difference. We huffed and puffed to grab the third goal that would give us the advantage in the table but my forwards were snatching at their chances as the clocked ticked on. We had one last throw of the dice with a late corner, our keeper came up and rose for the header... Off the bar! But wait, it hit the back of a Saudi defender's head and bounced over the line! It would all now come to down to the score in the other game...

Final Score: Portugal U23s 3, Saudi Arabia U23s 0

Dramatic stuff in the other game too as Mexico also scored late on but had the goal ruled out for offside. By the narrowest of margins, we were through:

2040%20Olympics%20C.png

2040 Olympic Games : Group Stage Round-up

The full group stage played out as follows:

2040%20Olympics%20A-B.png

2040%20Olympics%20C-D.png

Apart from Mexico's bad luck, the biggest surprised was probably Argentina's failure to get out of Group D.

The quarter-final draw was as follows:

2040%20Olympics%20Full%20QF%20Draw.png

2040%20Olympics%20QF%20Draw.png

I would make us favourites to advance. If we do so, we will play the winners of the Spain-USA game in the last four.

2040 Olympic Games : Knockout Rounds

Quarter-final v. Egypt U23s

This is where the Olympics gets tough - 18 is a small squad size for a tournament and my players had started to tire. I went with the freshest team I had, hoping to save a couple of the better players for the next round. It looked like a good idea for a while as we dominated and created many chances. We were hit with a sucker punch before half-time though as Egypt snatched a goal on the break and we went into the break a goal down. It was more of the same in the second half but, just like the game with Saudi Arabia, we struggled to get the goals we needed.... and just like against Saudi Arabia, it came down to the last moments when young striker Guedes, on as a sub, struck from outside the area to force extra time.

That was more of the same - we dominated but couldn't get the winner. Just as it seemed penalties were going to be needed, we got another late goal, Faria grabbing the winner with the last kick of the game. We were through but my players were shattered...

Final Score: Egypt U23s 1, Portugal U23s 2 (a.e.t.)

2040%20Olympics%20SF%20Draw.png

Semi-final v. Spain U23s

This was where the extra-time slog to victory against Egypt would come back to bite us. We were shattered with a couple of players suspended and a couple more carrying knocks while Spain were fully fit following a routine last eight victory over USA U23s. As had happened with Brazil in the group stages, an in-form striker destroyed us as Sukunza grabbed a hat-trick in just over ten minutes. He was subbed early in the second half but any joy at seeing the back of him was short-lived as his replacement Garcia repeated the trick with three goals of his own... Complete torture!

Final Score: Spain U23s 6, Portugal U23s 0

Bronze medal match v. Russia U23s

Even with a bronze medal stake, we had neither energy nor desire for the third-place match. Again, it dragged out to extra time when a goal for the Russians was enough to earn them the win.

Final Score: Russia U23s 1, Portugal U23s 0 (a.e.t)

Spain would go on to win gold, beating Nigeria 2-1 in the final.

Once Caldas 2040 Clasura Review

420.png
Quick Overview

Liga Aguila Clasura:
2nd

Liga Aguila Clasura Play-Offs: 3rd in Group Stage

Copa Aguila: 3rd Round

Copa Sudmaericana: 1st Round

Liga Aguila Results | Copa Aguila Results | Copa Sudamericana Results

Review
After a slow start, the squad got used to my tactics and we started to string wins together. We sat atop of the table for a while but as league, cup and continental games piled up, we suffered a mini dip in form and eventually finished second. We had qualified for the play-offs with ease, however.

The play-offs saw us placed in a group of four with home and away games to determine which side would advance to the clasura final. It was a tight group and going into the final day, each of the four teams had a chance to go through. Indeed, during the 90 minutes, each team was in top spot at some point. Alas, we would eventually lose our game and had to settle for third.

We had already qualified from the groups stage of the cup when I took over. We reached the last eight (for some reason labelled the ‘third round’ rather than the ‘quarter-finals’ where we were knocked out on penalties by Atletico Nacional. In the Copa Sudamericana, we made it through the Preliminary rounds but came unstuck against Cruzerio in the first round proper. We were 3-1 down coming into the second leg, hoping the away goal would make a difference. We imploded though as two men got sent off and we had another two go down injured after we had used all our subs. It was a miracle that we only lost 1-0!

Key Players
Juan Felipe Serna (DR) – For some reason, hardly used by my predecessor but quickly became one of our key players in the attacking full-back role.

Mauricio Mantillia (DC/MC) – I had earmarked this guy as a key player in the team and I was proven right. Commanding in defence and effective in midfield, he is a player we will need to hold onto.

Luis Roberto Torres (AMC/ST) – Excellent in the AMC playmaker role with goals and assists aplenty. Voted Fans’ Player of the Season.

Carlos Alberto Rendon (AMRC/ST) – This guy had four goals before I arrived but finished the season with 32 in all competitions and joint top scorer in the league. More of the same next season please!

Ones to watch

I called up one player form the youth side who featured quite regularly:

Alexander Mejia (AMRL/ST) – I mainly used him on the left wing as we lacked cover there and he turned in some encouraging performances.

Transfers

Transfer History

I filled a few gaps in the squad and signed some prospects for the future but nobody has made a huge impact on the first team as of yet. My transfer dealings for next season have been made easier by a look at the players currently out on loan – there are a few first team quality players there and hopefully they will be happy to be reintegrated into the set-up for the new season.

The Season Ahead...

I have seen enough of this squad to be optimistic for the season ahead. With a few signings to add some depth up front and in the full-back positions, I think we can challenge for honours next season and hopefully get back into continental action the season afterwards.

2040 International Review: Sweden/Portugal

797.png788.png

Sweden Results:

2040%20Sweden%20Results_.png

Portugal U23 Results:

2040%20Portugal%20Under%2023s_%20%20U23%

Portugal Results:

2040%20Portugal%20Results.png

Dec 2040 World Rankings:

2040%20Rnakings.png

A glorious year on the international scene it was not. From struggling at the Euros with Sweden to missing out on an Olympic medal of any kind to a disaster of a first ever foray into the Nations League, 2040 is not a year that will feature highly in my manager's obituary.

I took the helm of a team that had not lost since the 2038 World Cup and promptly lost three of my first five games in charge. What made the final game against France especially bad was that we were in with strong chance of topping the group going into the final match and were leading 2-1 with 15 minutes to go. We then collapsed and ended the day getting relegated :(

2040%20UEFA%20Nations%20League%20Divisio

At least Spain and Belgium flopped as well.

I was ready to jack it in and stay away from the international game until the club level hexagon has been completed but then I got this news item:

2041%20CC%20Draw.png

I knew we'd be in there as European Champions but I hadn't realised that we were also the hosts, meaning that we are the 2044 World Cup hosts as well. I think I'll stick around for that party!

We have a kind group in the Confederations Cup as well as the other side of the draw features World Champions Italy and Copa America winners Brazil....

Once Caldas 2041 Season Preview

420.png

Expectations

Liga Aguila Apertura: Reach the Group Stage

Liga Aguila Clasura: Reach the Group Stage

I think the board’s expectations are reasonable. We should be reaching the play-offs and with a bit of luck, we could challenge for the title as well. Last season’s performance was not enough to get us into the Copa Libertadores but I am not sure if we will be in the Copa Sudamericana yet or not as (I think) the entrants will be decided after the Opening Stage.

Transfers
2041 Pre-Season Transfer History

I got rid of some deadwood from the reserves and the youth team and welcomed back the players the previous manager had loaned out. Alas, it seems a couple of them were loaned out because they wanted to move on. The problem was compounded by the fact that some of them had ridiculously low release clauses so my hand was forced. Striker Luis Muñera was the first to go but I snuck a 50% sell-on in there, which we will hopefully see benefits from later. My best young player, 19 year-old right back Juan Felipe Serna went next, joining Anderlecht. Then a surprise as young defender Carlos Bermudez, fresh back from the South America U20 Championship, had his €650k release clause triggered by Real Madrid….

With my new signings, I had to replace those guys and add depth elsewhere as we gear up for a potential 70+ match season:

Andres Galvis (GK) – we have a decent but not great first choice keeper so this guy, scouted at the South America U20 Championship, will be back-up initially but I anticipate him being first choice within a season or two.

Jesualdo Garcia (DC) – decent young defender with the potential to become better.

Kevin Vargas (DM/MC) – decent deep-lying playmakers seem hard to come by in this league so I will be hoping this one can live up to his potential.

Elton Moreno (AMRLC/ST) – a natural in the centre but I will be employing this guy as an inside forward on the wings. Equally adept with his left and right foot so expect him to switch flanks a lot.

Eder Gil (MC/AMC/ST) – caught my eye when playing against us last season and provides us with a good second option in the advanced playmaker role.

Eduardo Romero (ST) – A veteran striker but one who has scored 20+ goals per season for the last twelve years. Also a model professional so will be put to intensive work as a tutor.

Bring on the marathon season!

Once Caldas 2041 Apertura Review

420.png

Liga Aguila Apertura Table: 1st

Liga Aguila Apertura Group Stage: 1st

Liga Aguila Apertura Final: WINNERS!! APERTURA CHAMPIONS!!

Copa Aguila Group Stage: 1st

(Qualified for Knockout Rounds)

It's a long, long season in Colombia  (36 matches already at the halfway stage and that with no continental action!) so I'm going to delight you with a mid-season review.

The cup group stage (10 matches just to qualify for the last 16!) was easy - I regularly fielded youth players and reserves and still got the results.

The league stage was straightforward enough as we only lost twice. We led from game ten onwards and were never in danger of not qualifying.

The group stage was as tight and exciting as last year's clasura group but the difference this time was that we came out on top. It again came down to the last day and everyone had a chance to go through (this is what groups stages should be about - four evenly matched teams duking it out with no whipping boys in sight). We held our nerve to come from behind and get the win to set up a final with Santa Fe, one of only two teams to beat us in the league stage.

Any anticipation of a keenly contested final was blown out of the water in the first leg. I'll let the screenshot do the storytelling for me:

2041%20Apertura%20Final%20leg%201.png

Did we then make a statement of our superiority in the second leg for a definitive win? Of course not. :D We fielded a team of kids and fringe players and let the first teamers have a few beers while they watched:

2041%20APertura%20Fnal%20leg%202.png

Still, a 7-4 aggregate win mattered much more than the result on the night:

2041%20LA%20APertura%20Champs.png

And I guess one year on, the board are happy with their decision to hire me:

2041%20LA%20Apertura%20Board.png

Now, to do it all again in the clasura...

And I almost forgot to mention the arrival of a couple of decent looking youth prospects...

Wilson Quintero (MC/AMC) was the HoYD's pick of the bunch and he certainly seems to have decent attributes for an AMC playmaker role.

(On a side note, real-life Wigan and Fulham fans may recognise the Head of Youth Development - one Hugo Rodallega)

The youth player to have the biggest impact so far though is Jaime Diaz (AMRLC). He did this in his first start in a cup game:

2041%20Diaz%20MoM.png

Don't think I've ever seen a 15 year-old bag a hat-trick before!

With the long season we have, expect to see more of these two in the clasura campaign.

International Update: Portugal Summer 2041 Preview

788.png

Since I took over at the helm of the Portugal side, finding staff has been a real struggle. No-one decent responds to adverts and everyone I approach directly turns me down... Portuguese coaches,coaches who have worked with me before, new coaches looking for their first job - they've all turned me down.

And that meant, when Portugal U20s were invited to compete in the Toulon tournament, there was no dedicated manager.

It also meant Portugal U21s qualified for the UEFA U21 Championship with my ass man at the helm.

And it meant Portugal U19s reached the UEFA U19 Championship with one of my few coaches running the team...

A busy summer awaits but I thought, why not go for a few trophies I haven't won before? With that crazy thought in mind, I have taken it upon myself to manage all the youth teams at their respective tournaments this summer... Oh, and I'll be in charge of the senior side at the Confederations Cup as well.

These are the four I'm aiming for in the order of play - how many will we win if any? (Bear in mind my youth talent will be stretched quite thin by the consecutive programmes):

209000.png

150784.png131306.png150786.png

International Update Part 1: 2041 Tornoi Espoirs de Toloun 

209000.png

Hosts: France
Holders: France U20s

I didn't have high hopes going into this tournament as I had picked the cream of Portugal's young crop of professional footballers for the U21 Championship. That meant this team was full of youth drawn from Portugal's B teams and, bizarrely, the Cypriot leagues where seemingly every top flight Portuguese club has a feeder side.

One thing in our favour was the concurrent U20 World Cup - with the best young nations competing there, hosts France aside, the field was not exactly a tough one.

Anyway, the group went by without a hitch:

Matchday 1: Portugal U20s 4, Jordan U20s 0
Matchday 2: France U20s 2, Portugal U20s 3
Matchday 3: Portugal U20s 1, Paraguay U20s 0

France slipped up big time, losing their first game to Paraguay and then being eliminated by in the second match when we scored an injury time winner. The final game was then a chance to rest the first choice picks as we did just enough to earn top spot:

2041%20Tournoi%20Espoirs%20de%20Toulon%2

Semi-final: Montenegro U20s 2, Portugal U20s 4
Montenegro were surprise qualifiers but they showed their mettle, taking an early lead. We levelled the game shortly afterwards and it was then all settled in six crazy minutes early in the second half. We took the lead, they equalised instantly, we got a penalty three minutes later and scored another immediately after that! That shell-shocked our Balkan opponents enough to end the game as a contest.

Final: Portugal U20s 3, Croatia U20s 2
As usual for these short tournaments, our players were exhausted by the time the final came around, a situation made worse by a couple of them carrying knocks. Croaitia took advantage and stormed into a two goal lead in less than 10 minutes. Carlos Perreria, a Benfica B player on loan at a Cypriot second division side, then got us back in the tie with a quick brace. There only seemed like one winner after that and sure enough, Ricardo Alves of Porto B got the winner on 76 minutes to win the title for Portugal!

2041%20Toulon%20Round-up.png

International Update Part 2: 2041 UEFA U21 Championship

150784.png

Hosts: Holland
Holders: Portugal U21s

We were surprise winners in Toloun with our ragbag of high school dropouts representing their country for the first time at any level. This was different, however, as I selected the creme-de-la-creme of Portuguese youth talent, calling up players who had 20+ caps for the senior side and other who ply their trade at the likes of PSG, Chelsea, Juventus and Dortmund.

And what was the result? Well, er, read on if you must...

Matchday 1: Portugal U21s 2, England U21s 2
Matchday 2: Austria U21s 1, Portugal U21s 3
Matchday 3: France U21s 1, Portugal U21s 0

Austria aside, this was a tough group. We were top going into the final game but by no means guaranteed to progress. Ultimately, despite us dominating, France U21s did what their U20s couldn't and sneaked a win with a goal on the break. Would 4 points be enough to go through?

UEFA%20Under-21%20Championship_%20Overvi

No :( We were left to rue missed chances against England and France...

England U21s were eventual champions beating Italy U21s 2-1 in the final.

International Update Part 3: 2041 UEFA U19 Championship

150786.png

Hosts: Turkey
Holders: Germany U19s

Again, I was with a limited squad for this one. I was able to call up some of the U20 squad who were successful in Toloun but again, the best players in the age group had just competed in the U21 Championship in Holland. Nevertheless, we went into the tournament with an open mind knowing that anything could and probably would happen.

Matchday 1: Portugal U19s 0, France 1
Matchday 2: Holland U19s 1, Portugal U19s 1
Matchday 3: Portugal U19s 2, Turkey U19s 6
:eek:

Not even close this time! We were no match for France but unlucky to only draw with the Dutch. We had to win our final game against the already eliminated Turks and hope that France made it three out of three. Alas, we were depleted by injuries (I could only pick three subs...) and completely caved. At least I only have to wait 12 months if I want another crack!

UEFA%20Under-19%20Championship_%20Overvi

Final: Holland U19s 1, Belgium U19s 1 (Holland U19s win 3-2 on penalties)

International Update Part 4: 2041 FIFA Confederations Cup Group Stage

131306.png

Hosts: Portugal
Holders: Argentina

This of course took place before the UEFA U19 Championship but I thought I'd avoid ending my summer reports with the shower that was Portugal U19s in Turkey and (hopefully) shine a light on the senior side instead. We did not have a full strength squad as I had (foolishly for all the good it did) send some young regulars to the U21 Championships just a week before. Nevertheless, with home advantage and an experienced squad, we would see how far we could go. The FA were expecting a semi-final appearance so the pressure was on.

Matchday 1: Portugal 3, U.S.A. 1
We had a minor score as we fell behind to a spirited USA side but we responded well, equalising immediately and taking the lead in first half stoppage time. Nelson Coelho, Newcastle Utd's start striker, made sure of victory with a goal shortly after he came off the bench.

Matchday 2: Algeria 2, Portugal 1
Oh, lord! A chance to qualify with a game to spare squandered in style... We were the better side but we looked nervous as soon as we took the lead and had no comeback when Algeria scored their second... Suddenly, qualification was in the balance.

Matchday 3: Croatia 0, Portugal 3
...and breathe. We made no mistake here, going two goals up inside ten minutes. Atletico Madrid frontman Bernando Faisca would bag a brace before half-time and that would be the end of the scoring.

2041%20FIFA%20Confederations%20Cup%20Gro

Algeria slipped up in their final game when a win could have put them through ahead of Croatia. Group B played out as expected meaning our semi-final opponents would be:

2041%20CC%20SF%20Preview.png

Italy or Brazil? Makes no difference really. It will be a tough match but if we can play as we did against Croatia, we have a chance. Play as w did against Algeria, on the other hand....

International Update Part 4: 2041 FIFA Confederations Cup Semi-Finals

131306.png

Momentum was with us after the convincing win over Croatia but could we carry it into what was sure to be a hard fought semi-final against Italy?

2041%20CC%20SF.png

Yes :cool:

Match Stats

Faria is named above as the 'super sub' but it was Newcastle's Coelho who did the business with two goals from the bench.

In the other semi, Brazil also needed extra time to overcome Croatia meaning the all-Lusophone final was on:

2041%20CC%20Final%20Preview.png

International Update Part 4: 2041 FIFA Confederations Cup Final

131306.png

A tough but deserved vitory over Italy had propelled us into the final, but would we be able to keep the form going against pre-tournament favourites Brazil?

2041%20CC%20Final%20Report.png

No :(

Match Stats

We were outclassed from the start and the message was clear - we will need a kind draw and a lot of luck to be successful next year when the FIFA World Cup Machine hits home.

Still, FA and fans alike were in awe of our progress all the way to the final. Let's ignore the score and ride the wave of optimism generated by our U20s in Toloun. :p

So the summer of madness with Portugal ends, as does the summer of "I should get working on that project but I'll play a few matches on FM instead.... Wait, what's the time?"

Travelling back home tomorrow, back to work on Friday, super-long seasons in Colombia... But I must press on so that I can get a quick save in on the copy of FM that I picked up for 20TL (about 5 quid) in a local shop yesterday ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Once Caldas 2041 Season Review

420.png
Quick Overview

Liga Aguila Apertura: 1st
Liga Aguila Apertura Play-Offs
: WINNERS!!
Liga Aguila Clasura:
3rd
Liga Aguila Clasura Play-Offs:
2nd in Group Stage
Copa Aguila:
Finalists

Liga Aguila Apertura Results | Apertura Play-off Results | Liga Aguila Clasura Results | Clasura Play-off Results | Copa Aguila Results

Review
We couldn’t quite reproduce our opening stage form in the second half of the season, coming in third (but only one point behind the top two). It was the play-offs that mattered, however, and in an evenly-matched group, we just lost out to Pasto. We had a rough run against them in the closing weeks, also losing to them in the cup final. Nevertheless, our aperture championship means the board and fans are happy and we will be in the Copa Libertadores next season:

2041%20CL%20Qualification.png

And the apertura title helped swing a few votes my way for Manager of the Year.

Key Players
Elton Moreno (MC/AMRLC) – played everywhere in midfield and excelled in every role. One of my best signings this season.

Luis Roberto Torres (AMC/ST) – Struggled with injuries a bit but had a great knack of scoring late winners from free kicks which is why he is featured here.

Carlos Alberto Rendon (AMRC/ST) – 40 goals in the league, Liga Aguila Topscorer and Player of the Year. The challenge now is to ward off transfer bids from clubs in Europe.

Ones to watch
Jaime Diaz (AMRLC)
– got a lot of game time in the cups and made an impact before carrying over that form to the league as well.

Transfers
Transfer History

Overall, I was happy with the players brought in, who matched expectations whether in the first team or in back-up roles. I would have featured Jesualdo Garcia as my best signing if it were not for his shocking disciplinary record – five red cards!! He paid back 2 months’ salary in fines over the course of the season… There is interest from several clubs in Europe so I will shift him on during the off-season.

The Season Ahead...
We should expect to be challenging for domestic honours, though I imagine the cup will drop further down the list of priorities once the Copa Libertadores begins. I doubt we will win that but I’ll be looking to make the knockout rounds at least and hopefully see how we match up against the big boys from Argentina and Brazil.

2040 International Review: Portugal

788.png

Quick Overview:

Confederations Cup: Runners-up

Results:

2041%20Portugal%20Results.png

December 2040 World Top Ten:

2041%20Dec%20World%20Rankings.png

After the disappointment of last years Nations Cup, my first full year in charge proved more successful (if we just move our focus away from the scoreline in the Confederations Cup final...) We finished the year especially well with five victories against decent opposition in friendlies.

On the youth side the Toloun U20 tournament win was encouraging and managing in those tournaments helped me identify possible breakout stars for the World Cup next year on home soil.

Standout players were:

Josimar (DM/MC) - a new addition to the squad and the best of several Brazilians I persuaded to represent their second nationality of Portugal. Fits in nicely as a Ball Winning Midfielder.

Casca (AML) - another player from the Brazilian leagues (though this one is 100% Portuguese), adding a touch of flair to the flanks.

Bernado Faisca (ST) - started scoring for fun this year and the Atletico Madrid striker will be first choice as long as he stays fit.

We are looking to carry our form into next year as we prepare for that thing... what was it? Oh, that's right - FIFA's Cash Cow, The World Cup:

2041 WC Draw Portugal.png

2041 WC News.png

Happy with the draw - no easy matches but no really tough ones either. As hosts, we should top the group... should...

• 2 months later...

Once Caldas 2042 Season Preview

420.png

Expectations

Liga Aguila Apertura: Reach the Play-offs

Liga Aguila Clasura: Reach the Play-offs

Superliga Aguila: Not important

Copa Libertadores: Enjoy the expereince

It’s been a while since I went through the pre-season but we are looking to build on last year’s Apertura win and see where we are in terms of competing on the continental stage.

Transfers
2042 Pre-Season Transfer History

As is usual when playing outside the top European leagues, despite recent success a few players had itchy feet and wanted to move on. Italy came calling for two first teamers as Jesualdo Garcia moved to Brescia and Luis Romero, one of the best youngsters at the club, went to Atalanta. I reinvested in players to bolster our defence and holding midfield positions:

Oscar Hurtardo (DC) – big money signing for this level at €550k but should become a first team pick fairly quickly.

Azmel Martinez (DM/MC) – we got one back from Italy as this guy arrived from Inter. I guess he made the big career move too soon and will need to work to reach his potential but I have high hopes for this guy.

There was also the usual release of deadwood and a couple more signings for the future.

New Contract

2042%20new%20contract.png

Yeah, sure, let’s still talk about that one cup game I lost in four years at Seattle!

Superliga
Always nice to bag an early trophy as we beat last season’s Clasura champions Pasto.

2042%20Superliga.png

Let’s see if we can reach 80 games this season!

Once Caldas 2042 Apertura Review

420.png

Liga Aguila Apertura Table: 2nd
Liga Aguila Apertura Play-offs: Quarter-finals
Copa Aguila Group Stage: 1st (qualified for knockout rounds)

Copa Libertadores: Group Stage

In South America, 36 games does but a half season make! The major factor in us being a step behind where we were at this stage last year was injuries. Our topscorer Rendon was out for 3 months with a broken ankle and his back-up Romero then went down with a broken toe... That meant we had to rotate young players who had been training as wingers in the frontman role and it was difficult for us to score - lots of single goal victories, draws and the odd single goal defeat followed.

Nevertheless, we secured second place and play-off qualification comfortably. In a change I assume is to do with the impending World Cup, there was no group stage this year. Instead we went into home and away knockout legs. After a 0-0 home draw with Cortulua, we went to their place and folded. 5-0 down at half-time.... We somehow ended up pulling it back to 5-4 but the fifth goal was beyond us...

The cup was straightforward as we topped the group - only by a point but it was never in doubt.

The Copa  Libertadores was a mixed bag - we held our own against Mineros, picking up 4 points from two games with them. We just weren't quite good enough against Flamengo though, losing tight games home and away. The death knoll on our hopes of progressing was a draw at Bolivar, whipping boys of the group. Had we won that one, we would have progressed.... Still, there was enough to suggest that we could go for the knockout rounds next time.

Up next, a break from the domestic season as I head to Portugal to lead the host nation in the World Cup!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 03.04.2017 at 14:29, maxtothemax said:

Hey DodgeeD, I used to enjoy this a lot! Especially your time in Asia and Africa, will you ever continue this? Or maybe something similar on FM 17?

On 04.04.2017 at 23:55, Nobby_McDonald said:

Considering it's four months since he last updated, probably not.

Well, as it happens.....

...after four months of not having time/energy to play, I have progressed a few more seasons.

I have saves at the end of each season so will try to get up to speed with a few mini updates over the next week or so. :)

2042 World Cup Preview

1301385_3.png

2042%20World%20Cup%20Preview.png

2042%20World%20Cup%20Odds.png

I already had the screenshots ready for the World Cup so I will do a full update here before some quick catch up posts for Once Caldas (I am now in 2046 in the game).

This was my intended swansong with Portugal - a World Cup as the hosts. Would home advantage be enough to push us to the top prize in world football? The odds suggested we should at least be aiming for a place in the latter stages.

2042 World Cup Group Stages

1301385_3.png

Matchday 1 v. Ghana

2042%20World%20Cup%20v%20Ghana.png

Matchday 2 v. South Korea

2042%20World%20Cup%20v%20South%20Korea.p

Matchday 3 v. Belgium

2042%20World%20Cup%20v%20Belgium.png

We made hard work of what should have been a straightforward group. The draw with South Korea (finalists in 2038 it should be pointed out) and falling behind to Belgium put us in danger of an early exit but we eventually pulled through.

2042%20FIFA%20World%20Cup%20A-C.png2042%20FIFA%20World%20Cup%20D-F.png
2042%20FIFA%20World%20Cup%20G-H.png

Despite those cares. we ultimately topped our group. Elsewhere, France were the big flops (especially surprising as the French clubs currently dominate in Europe). Iran and Japan impressed as they reached the second round, the draw for which was as follows:

2042%20FIFA%20World%20Cup%202ndR%20Draw.

We should be confident of a win over Japan - I just hope we are more clinical than against South Korea!

2042%20World%20Cup%20Japan%20Preview.png

2042 World Cup Knockout Rounds

1301385_3.png

2nd Round v. Japan

2042%20World%20Cup%20v%20Japan.png

That was much more like it! We finally hit form and comfortably controlled the game from the outset. Japan never stood a chance.

Quarter-final v. Holland

2042%20World%20Cup%20v%20Holland.png

:eek:

Is this FM or FML? A total and utter humiliation... After we went 2-1 down, I guess I hit the panic button too soon and we let in a further three in the final ten minutes...

Holland didn't even go on to win the whole thing:

2042%20World%20Cup%20KO.png

So, Germany were the eventual winners. A poor tournament for the Lusophones as Brazil got walloped as well...

2042%20Portugal%20Resign.png

After that humiliating quarter-final defeat, this seemed like the expected thing to do... Bizarrely, I got a glowing post-tourney review from the FA and the fans who were 'delighted' that we had done so well...

Er... well... yeah. Someone else can pick up the mess now!

Once Caldas 2042 Season Review

420.png

Quick Overview

Liga Aguila Apertura: 2nd
Liga Aguila Apertura Play-Offs: Quarter-finals
Liga Aguila Clasura: 3rd
Liga Aguila Clasura Play-Offs: 2nd in Group Stage

Copa Aguila: Semi-Finalists
Superliga Aguila: Winners!!

Copa Libertadores: Group Stage

Liga Aguila Apertura Results | Liga Aguila Clasura Results | Clasura Play-off Results | Copa Aguila Results | Copa Libertadores Results

Review
Injuries hampered us a lot this season and with the added games of the Copa Libertadores, we didn’t have the legs to win anything other than the domestic Super Cup.

Key Players
Eduardo Luiz (DC)
– the veteran defender showed he still has a couple of good seasons in him.

Luis Roberto Torres (AMC/ST) – another dependable season from the club captain.

Carlos Guzman (AMR/ST) – always great to see a player move from hot prospect to regular first-teamer.

Transfer History

The Season Ahead...

Al ready played this so I would expect better! :D

4 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

@DodgeeD Where is between 2015 and 2021? It jumps from 2014 to 2022 on the first page.

Right you are... I think those posts may have fallen victim to the migration to the current forum platform last year :(

As you can see it messed up the code tables for my career summary too...

24 minutes ago, DodgeeD said:

Right you are... I think those posts may have fallen victim to the migration to the current forum platform last year :(

As you can see it messed up the code tables for my career summary too...

Thought that might have been the case, I shall just assume you won everything in those years. ;)

Archived