[FM12] Trip to Nostalgia Lane

noikeee

Good luck with the rebuilding job. Replacing departed stars with new, unproven players has always been my favourite part of FM.

Yeah that's kinda why I put myself through this, it's fun to shop for players and rebuild teams.

I've definitely not done a good job at it this season though. :(

Ten million Euros? You could buy Greece.

I can think of ten million things I'd prefer to buy right now with ten million euros over Greece.

2018/2019 - FC Eindhoven

417v7FV.jpg

Transfers

lc2nC13.jpg

Fu*king hell, everyone left. Losing Guzmán, Eekman, Bright and Kostic was a huge blow. Twice a blow given I had just sold Jesé and Insigne. This means our forward line was pretty much wiped out. We tried to make the most of the market and brought in Kokovic, Voicu, Okorie, Barbaric, Casadio (see screenshots a few posts above). Unfortunately that wasn't enough and in particular Okorie and Barbaric were pretty bad flops.

There was a large number of less important deals going on, I sold a kid I didn't rate at all (Verweij) for a decent profit of 450K; I eventually got fed up of Ivan Vidovic's promise but terrible brainfarts on the pitch and swapped him for a new Romanian right-back named Marian Pleasçã; etc, etc.

Fixtures and standings

4YQIfES.jpg

I knew I was in deep crap just looking at the squad, and the results confirmed it. First win? Not until the end of September, we were out of the Europa League already by then. It was just a long painful midtable grind all season long, with occasional glimpses of good football but no consistency whatsoever. I set a personal goal of getting 8th, which would be enough for entering a mini-playoff for the final Europa League spot, but it never looked like we'd do it. We still had just about a shot of reaching it in the final match vs Fortuna Sittard, but instead we lost and ended 10th, a fair reflection of our mediocricity and the exact spot we gravitated around the most during the year.

Things on the Dutch Cup were slightly more exciting - it looked as if we were on course for a semi-final when VVV equalized with a 93rd minute goal, then put us out on penalties.

GkOHiHe.jpg

What now?

I tried to stay positive and hope the stadium expansion would bring me more cash to play with. Except, the expansion's complete, I've checked the finances and we're not making any more gate receipts now. It's kind of depressing and I fear I might be stuck here at this level for a while. Another frustrating thing is our youth is crap year after year and I've never been able to improve it. I don't plan to resign, but definitely gonna start looking for any potential job offerings around.

Squad and tactics

AxGVYBm.jpg

* denotes a player that is homegrown in the Netherlands, (H) denotes a player that is homegrown at the club

zRbqhQI.jpg

Same as last year.

Top 5 players of the season

5. Hrayr Mkoyan (DC) - I think he's starting to finally lose something to his age. Still a good centre-back, but had a few uncharacteristic bad days which wouldn't have happened in previous seasons.

4. Hans Kuipers (AMC, ST) - I'm so disappointed with this guy because his attributes look like he should be a mega star, but he's far too inconsistent. I can't find the best role for him neither and he's been wandering in between every position of the 3 upfront. 10 goals and 7 assists was decent but I expect more.

3. Dragan Kokovic (GK) - A rare case of a signing this season that significantly improved our strenght in his position. This Serbian kid is a monster keeper in the making, holds a LOT of shots and very rarely makes daft mistakes, like Brahim Zaari would sometimes in previous seasons. I think Zaari made more of the "impossible saves", though.

2. Matías Casadio (ST, AMC) - I expected him to be our new trequartista, but I really struggled to get the best of him in that position and then thought "my strikers are misfiring and I could use a quick guy upfront". It worked to some extent as he was our most convincing attacking player but I still want more. 9 goals, 7 assists, and a frustrating broken foot near the end of the season.

1. Claudiu Voicu (DC) - The one guy whose performances I'm truly happy with, in the whole team. Strong performances at the back, scores goals in set pieces, rarely messes up. Definitely a signing gone well.

[b]Season   League                      Cups                       International                   Player of the season        Notes
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************
FC Eindhoven (Netherlands)
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************[/b]
11/12    Jupiler League - 13th       KNVB Beker 2nd rnd         ----                            Ratko Vansimpsen (ST)
12/13    Jupiler League - 10th       KNVB Beker 2nd rnd         ----                            Ratko Vansimpsen (ST)
[b]***** INTRODUCED HOMEGROWNS/TRANSFER RULES FROM HERE *****[/b]
13/14    Jupiler League - 5th        KNVB Beker 4th rnd         ----                            Jeffrey van Nuland (DL)     Promoted via playoffs
14/15    Eredivisie - 3rd            KNVB Beker 2nd rnd         ----                            Martin Klimek (ML)
15/16    Eredivisie - 11th           KNVB Beker 2nd rnd         Europa League group stage       Brahim Zaari (GK)
16/17    Eredivisie - 4th            KNVB Beker 4th rnd         ----                            Hrayr Mkoyan (DC)
17/18    Eredivisie - 4th            KNVB Beker final           Europa League 4th qual rnd      Wim Eekman (ST)
[b]***** RELAXED TRANSFER RULES *****[/b]
18/19    Eredivisie - 10th           KNVB Beker 1/4 final       Europa League 4th qual rnd      Claudiu Voicu (DC)

Funchal, 31st of May 2019

9Z944Jp.gif

An unexpectedly quick career move, as an opportunity to leave Eindhoven appeared almost immediately. I applied for jobs at Guarani of Brazil and Metalurg of Ukraine, both rejected me, then I was linked to the vacant seat at Nacional:

CU0cR1w.jpg

It's a special move for me as it's the first time I'll be managing a local club here in my FMCU careers (I live in Funchal where Nacional are based). I feel like I've just sold my soul to the devil, as I'm a sympathizer/half-arsed supporter of their bitter rivals Marítimo. The club chairman is an absolute knob - he named the stadium after himself at a point, which says it all - and they have possibly the most annoying supporters group in the whole world of football, made entirely of women in their 40s, 50s and 60s screaming high-pitch songs all match long. I'm royally annoyed I can't find a clip of them on Youtube to show you, so here's a clip of the game they just lost this weekend instead:

[video=youtube;qNjv4F9juNc]

Back to FM, my reasoning for this move is that as I'm getting rejected from teams around the world, seems as if my only chance to switch jobs for now is home in Portugal, and I could really use a move now. Bonus points is that Nacional has a pretty nice youth setup, which was really limiting at Eindhoven by contrast, particularly when I'm focusing on homegrown players; and their squad seems to fit my current narrow tactics perfectly as they don't have any wingers. The bad part is that my transfer budget is 0 and my wage budget is about one third of what I used to work with.

Star players

Zsolt Antal (ST) - A physical beast with a fantastic turn of pace, but a bit limited technically.

Heino Jensen (MC) - Very interesting teenage Danish midfielder with a bright future ahead of him. Very unlikely I'll hold on to him for long.

Jardiel (ST) - Not to be confused with Jardel, whilst not as clinical as the mythical former Porto/Sporting/Galatasaray striker, still seems to be the most reliable finisher of the team with 13 goals last season.

Goals for the season

I just want to get a feel for the club and start building a team around my ideas, first I'll need to trim the number of foreigners as it's a bit past my self-imposed limit of 10 in the squad. Then I'm aiming at a top half finish, Nacional just finished 7th last season under retiring manager Alberto Malesani, that was 1 spot below Europa League qualification. I'll be okay with repeating that, and thrilled if we make it to Europe.

It's a MUCH better youth setup, club's about the same or slightly bigger in terms of reputation, and I had 0 transfer budget in Eindhoven too anyway. Plus my team at the moment in Eindhoven was utterly depressing and frustrating to watch. I just needed a move. The only bad things is that the wage budget is smaller, and it's not a club I fancy in real life.

The All-Too-Typical Summer Sale

As you'd expect, AI managers came poaching my best players as usual. Antal, the superquick forward; and Jensen, the superpromising Danish midfielder, both went before I could even try them in any official match.

pHvwx5k.jpg

TN6383o.jpg

But... fear not! As I did a massive rebuilding of the squad with a motherf*cking zillion changes:

Ow4wxqR.jpg

This puts the team much more to my liking and gets rid of the excess foreigners (per my self-imposed rules I can only have 10 non-homegrowns). I also brought in some talent:

An5XoRt.jpg

y4VkF0j.jpg

iD5zi9Z.jpg

NbQWxKA.jpg

You may notice the previous screenshots have been taken before any games were played. That's not the case for the following 2 guys who I insisted on taking a screenie after the first 3 fixtures I just played. Pay close attention to goals and assists...

ruYE5Bp.jpg

luZkG5G.jpg

What the hell is going on here, I don't even... :confused:. They're just terrorizing the AI, cutting them like butter. Who'd have thought a 27 year old Brazilian, with the same name as a famous French player (yeah that is weird), and a 18 year old Serbian, who only started training together from like 2 days before the first match, would combine like they've known each other for the past 10 years.

The Vieira-Kovacevic partnership looks extremely promising and has already given me my first award ever. They didn't seem to give out any awards to foreign managers back in the Netherlands:

sQ78AJu.jpg

Very early days but we're first, same points as Porto, and have already beaten Benfica away. Can't wait to play the rest of the season now!

2019/2020 - Nacional

9Z944Jp.gif

Transfers

See the previous posts as I didn't do any more transfers past the big revolution at the start of the season.

Fixtures and standings

xuIhgOz.jpg

IJdH3ew.jpg

It was a total dream start as we took advantage of the morale boost from beating Benfica away in the very first match, to keep winning for as long as we could, and we held to first place for an incredible 10 fixtures - a third of the season! I really didn't imagine we'd be this strong from the start.

However slowly reality would creep in as our super morale faded, as did the form of our star players Patrick Vieira and Todor Kovacevic. The first warning was a defeat vs Belenenses, then a very heavy 4-0 defeat vs top team Porto. Then we just never got a winning run going on ever again, despite occasional good results. A striking stat is that 8 of our 14 wins came in that starting run of the first 10 matches - this means just 6 wins over the course of the remaining 2 thirds of the championship. We still ended a very solid 4th that was never remotely in danger, and exceeds our initial goals for the season, qualifying for the Europa League.

As for the cup, we couldn't resist Sporting after beating 2 lesser teams in the previous rounds; and in the league cup a heavy defeat to Benfica in the very first match killed our chances of progressing from the group stage.

BD217j0.jpg

What now?

This reminds me a lot of my first season in the Eredivisie with Eindhoven - unexpected overacheivement, but a feeling that the quality of my squad doesn't quite meet the results. I'd be worried about not being able to repeat this next season, except I've got some pretty interesting signings lined up for next year! That makes me very positive for the future, as does a very good batch of youngsters we have, making the homegrown players part of this challenge much more interesting.

There is one thing that annoys me about this club, however - it leaks some SERIOUS money. FM12 being FM12, this is compensated by regular "investments" by the board, I even got a 4M€ gift at some stage of this season (!). This is a "feature" that I believe is coded into the game to make sure half of the footballing world doesn't get bankrupt, as the financial balance of many, many clubs is broken. It's an unrealistic exploit that feels a lot like cheating, I could go around it by using only half of my wage budget or something, but to be honest that sounds not very fun at all and I already have enough restrictions as it is with my rules, so I'm just going to turn a blind eye to it and keep on playing as I'm doing.

Squad and tactics

BbQi4AY.jpg

TlMKHtR.jpg

* denotes a player that is homegrown in Portugal, (H) denotes a player that is homegrown at the club

efAGzt7.jpg

Pretty much the exact same tactical system I was using in the Netherlands, with small adjustments.

Top 5 players of the season

I'm not sure this is an all-time first, but I always pick my 5 best players and I don't recall another time I picked 5 new signings! This tells me my little transfer revolution at the start of the season was pretty successful:

5. Braima Lopes (DC) - Classy Guinean/Portuguese centre-back I picked up from Benfica, and who'd form half of a really strong duo in the heart of defence.

4. Kyle Bartley (DC) - The other half of this duo. Kyle's career history includes playing for both Arsenal and Tottenham, who paid 7M€ for him in a transfer from Cardiff. Things ultimately didn't work out for him in White Hart Lane, but for Nacional's level, he's fantastic!

3. Fouad Abbas (DL) - This extremely quick Algerian youngster was another of our key players and performed freakishly consistently year long. In a massive bad luck event, he broke his leg in the 95th minute of the very meaningless, very last match of the season. I was very much p*ssed off with that.

2. Todor Kovacevic (ST) - After the early promise of the first few matches, and then an injury, it took quite a while for Todor to start scoring again. Thankfully he eventually found his scoring boots back, and finished the season as our top finisher on 16 goals.

1. Patrick Vieira (AMC, ST) - Absolutely unplayable on that great start of the season, I think he had something like 10 assists in 7 matches and a 8.7 average rating, it was just ridiculous. He dipped pretty badly in form later on, but still kept on putting little influential touches here and there, and I think deserves the player of the season award from myself (the fans picked Fouad Abbas), with 17 assists, 7 goals, and 6 MOM awards.

[b]Season   League                      Cups                       International                   Player of the season        Notes
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************
FC Eindhoven (Netherlands)
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************[/b]
11/12    Jupiler League - 13th       KNVB Beker 2nd rnd         ----                            Ratko Vansimpsen (ST)
12/13    Jupiler League - 10th       KNVB Beker 2nd rnd         ----                            Ratko Vansimpsen (ST)
[b]***** INTRODUCED HOMEGROWNS/TRANSFER RULES FROM HERE *****[/b]
13/14    Jupiler League - 5th        KNVB Beker 4th rnd         ----                            Jeffrey van Nuland (DL)     Promoted via playoffs
14/15    Eredivisie - 3rd            KNVB Beker 2nd rnd         ----                            Martin Klimek (ML)
15/16    Eredivisie - 11th           KNVB Beker 2nd rnd         Europa League group stage       Brahim Zaari (GK)
16/17    Eredivisie - 4th            KNVB Beker 4th rnd         ----                            Hrayr Mkoyan (DC)
17/18    Eredivisie - 4th            KNVB Beker final           Europa League 4th qual rnd      Wim Eekman (ST)
[b]***** RELAXED TRANSFER RULES *****[/b]
18/19    Eredivisie - 10th           KNVB Beker 1/4 final       Europa League 4th qual rnd      Claudiu Voicu (DC)
[b]*****************************************************************************************************************************************************
Nacional da Madeira (Portugal)
19/20    Liga Zon Sagres - 4th       TdP 3rd rnd, BwCp groups   ----                            Patrick Vieira (AMC)

Homegrowns - the next generation of Nacional players

And now, I present you the jewels of Nacional's youth system, the best homegrown players at the club. All of the following players have at least 3.5 stars of potential, I've been giving Carlos Figueiredo and Vitor Silva a few minutes in the first team already, and expect some of the others to make it in the next few years. Goalkeeper Hélio Valente is my biggest prospect, whilst Paulo Costa and Diogo Campos are the latest in the production line, having showed up in the last youth intake this March:

Kj7pklD.jpg

meq9Bgp.jpg

u2hwJAJ.jpg

gpPNieo.jpg

ocy8ZaQ.jpg

P7zdr5T.jpg

bdnWx6W.jpg

I remind you under my rules I need to include at least 2 players from this lot (or any other homegrown in the club), in every match squad.

And after a post all about the future I just totally impulse-bought FM15. :lol: Dunno, I opened up FM12 today, wrote all of that above and wasn't really feeling it for whatever reason, but an idea popped up in my head for a FM15 career and I'm gonna give it a go. Not sure whether this FM12 career is dead or not, for now it'll stay in stand-by.

Archived