The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we're signing Huntelaar, Nani and Hargreaves

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sir Alex Ferguson may have his hands full as Manchester United step up their pursuit of an unprecedented second treble, but the manager is already planning enthusiastically for next season.

Ajax are bracing themselves for a bid from United for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, their prolific young striker, who Ferguson is understood to have identified as one of his main summer targets along with Owen Hargreaves, the Bayern Munich and England midfield player, and Nani, the Sporting Lisbon winger.

Huntelaar has established himself as the new golden boy of Dutch football since failing to make the grade at PSV Eindhoven and has already drawn favourable comparisons to Ruud van Nistelrooy, the former United striker.

While Ajax are loath to lose Huntelaar, the clamour for the 23-year-old forward’s signature is such that John Jaakke, the club’s chairman, is thought to be confident of being able to name his price for the player, who would cost at least double the £6.8 million Ajax paid SC Heerenveen for his services just over a year ago, and possibly much more.

Ferguson is believed to retain a serious interest in Fernando Torres, the highly rated Atlético Madrid and Spain forward, although he would come at a far higher premium than Huntelaar.

Torres recently signed a new deal with Atlético that ties him to the club until 2009, but while the escape clause in the 23-year-old’s contract was reduced from £41.4 million to about £27 million as part of the agreement, that price may still prove too prohibitive for United, who are expected to spend about half of their estimated £40 million transfer budget on Hargreaves.

Huntelaar cost Heerenveen just £70,000 when he joined the club in 2004 after turning down the offer of a new contract with PSV, where he struggled to make much of an impact.

In his first season at Heerenveen, Huntelaar scored 20 goals in 38 appearances and followed that up with 21 goals in as many games during the first half of the 2005-06 campaign before Ajax came calling. He finished the season with a staggering 45 goals in 46 matches and has looked equally impressive this term, scoring 28 times in all competitions.

Despite being in Marco van Basten’s preliminary Holland squad for last year’s World Cup finals, Huntelaar did not travel to Germany but he has impressed for the national team since, scoring twice in the 4-1 win over Ireland last August.

Ferguson has already sent scouts to watch Huntelaar, most recently in Ajax’s 4-1 win over FC Twente just under three weeks ago, when the striker scored a hat-trick.

The United manager has been encouraged by the apparent ability of Dutch players to adapt quickly to the demands of the Barclays Premiership, a quality that may make Huntelaar seem like less of a gamble than Torres, whose style is more suited to the Continent.

Of more immediate concern to United, however, is the Premiership game at home to Blackburn Rovers tomorrow, when victory would open up a nine-point gap at the top, if only for a couple of hours with Chelsea not playing until later in the day against Watford.

While United are still in contention to win the FA Cup and Champions League, Park Ji Sung, the midfield player, wants to help to ensure that the Premiership title returns to Old Trafford after a four-year absence.

“It is possible for us to get the results to succeed in all competitions,†the South Korean said. “But my No 1 target is the Premier League.â€

Park did the double of league and cup with PSV in the Netherlands and he believes the experience will hold him in good stead as United’s season enters its critical phase. “I have had a similar experience in the Netherlands,†he said.

“Even if we have bad results, we have to bounce back quickly and concentrate on the next game.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only seen Huntelaar at the Amsterdam Tournament but I trust the opinions of Nick and James M so huzzah, Nani I only know as Ronaldo rates him oh so highly and ofc Hargreaves ifb.

No point discussing it as we're skint but hey ho.

Hargreaves may be fb, but his value remains nowhere near £20 million. And given how little money we have, that becomes a big issue. I can't see us moving for anyone else if we spend that much on OH. Which would be rubbish, considering we're in desperate need of a striker and would quite like a winger too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Nah, What's an extra £20 million debt between friends? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, you're subscribing to the '****ing in the ocean' school of thought eh? It's a good point.

where's that from out of interest? No capitalised words so not the Sun I take it. Huntelaar undoubtedly potentially prolific, but Torres would fit the current style of play so much better.

Watching Atletico a few times he clearly wants and needs a move, but as said it's all moot cause it'll be Hargreaves in, Heinze, Smith, and maybe Silvestre out, and if the Hargreaves deal gets structured right, we'll have another net profit summer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by player_65:

where's that from out of interest? No capitalised words so not the Sun I take it. Huntelaar undoubtedly potentially prolific, but Torres would fit the current style of play so much better.

Watching Atletico a few times he clearly wants and needs a move, but as said it's all moot cause it'll be Hargreaves in, Heinze, Smith, and maybe Silvestre out, and if the Hargreaves deal gets structured right, we'll have another net profit summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its from none other then Da Timez

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes would love to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

Fergie said recently that he expects to be in charge at Old Trafford for a few years yet, but does expect his former player Hughes to be on the shortlist to replace him one day.

Hughes takes his Blackburn team to Old Trafford for a crucial Premiership clash on Saturday, and says he'd love to boss United one day.

He told The Sun: "When Sir Alex makes the decision to leave, I'm sure there will be a hell of a lot of applications landing on David Gill's desk. It's a fantastic job and Sir Alex is doing it fantastically well.

"I want to get as far as my ability will allow me to go if the opportunities are presented in the future.

"If I do a good job here, which I think at the moment is what I am doing, we'll have to see what happens.

"A big job is something all managers aspire to. I wouldn't be fazed by any job I'm faced with. I think you have to have confidence in your own ability, confidence in your own philosophy of how the game should be played.

"It's also how you approach getting the best out of a group of players. I've seen it work in my previous job with Wales, I've seen it work here and I know if I was at a different club it would work."

He added: "I'm very, very happy at Blackburn. I've a good board and a good chairman, good players and I'm excited with the squad I've built." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hughes icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

A MUSICAL Manchester United fan is trying to make his team’s road to Wembley a little more “rocky“.

Singer Danny McCoy, who earns a living as a full-time tribute act to Jon Bon Jovi, has written his own anthem for the famous club.

He hopes they will play the rock song on the team coach if they get through to the FA Cup final at the new Wembley stadium.

The 44-year-old singer, from Bury, said: “I'd just love it if the players were singing my song as they headed down the motorway to London. It might even spur them on to victory.â€

Danny hails from Middlesbrough and used to live next door to United legend Bryan Robson’s mum.

He became a Bon Jovi tribute act a few years ago and won a North East TV version of Stars in their Eyes. When he goes back home, he performs in a tribute group called Bon Jordi.

But he also does solo performances up and down the country.

Club bosses

He remains a United fan despite the team’s recent cup victory over Middlesbrough, the team from his home town.

Now he has taken a CD of his song, called “Man U’s Going to Wembley†to Old Trafford to see what club bosses think.

He wrote the lyrics and the music was written by his friend Dave Black, who had a Top 10 chart hit with Goldie called “Making Up Again“ in 1978.

Danny said: “I’m not sure what Bon Jovi himself would think of the song, but I’m sure he’d like it.

“I don’t know if he’s a United fan, but he’s performed gigs at a lot of football grounds, so there’s a bit of a connection there.â€

A spokeswoman for Manchester United confirmed it had received Danny’s CD and said club officials would be happy to listen to the song. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh dear

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aggressive minor:

Keane has done an amazing job at Sunderland really. Could really have the potential to be a top manager. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree, but he's only experieced good times so far. Sparky is ahead at the moment due to his experience and the way he's overcome the bad times with Blackburn.

I would love either of them though.

Yeah, we shouldn't get carried away with Keane, he's only been in the job for a few months and has had money to spend. Even so, he's taken what was a huge mess and seemingly turned it round. Next season will be interesting, how will he deal with a team (probably) struggling in the EPL or picking up the pieces if they don't get up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Any one know what happened to RI forum? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>cheers that works

if we have hunty, hargreaves and nani in place by the first home game of next season i'll turn up at the wall dressed in a liverpool shirt singing ynwa (although if recent events are anything to go by that might get martin dangerously randy).

agree with player_65 anyway, brilliant as Hunty undoubtedly is i still don't think he fits in with our style and he'd quite possibly end up quite similar to Ru... some other dutch striker we once had who became a hero and scored shedloads of goals himself, but the team was generally quite poor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

You know, that issue hasn't really been discussed in this thread much... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, don't post much on the forums. Considering the size of this thread, I pressume its propped up quite a lot!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aggressive minor:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

You know, that issue hasn't really been discussed in this thread much... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, don't post much on the forums. Considering the size of this thread, I pressume its propped up quite a lot! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least 386 of the 427 pages are taken up with it or something! You could say it's caused something of a divide in the usual tranquil harmony that is the United thread...

So, Ronnie available for tomorrow? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i reckon he will be. just scaremongering over a slight knock, as there will be for the rest of the season now with any remotely key player.

talk is that we'll have vds, fletch, ole and louis back tomorrow as well, or if not for tomorrow then in the next week \O/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

i reckon he will be. just scaremongering over a slight knock, as there will be for the rest of the season now with any remotely key player.

talk is that we'll have vds, fletch, ole and louis back tomorrow as well, or if not for tomorrow then in the next week \O/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am pretty sure Fletch is not "on" for tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Man Utd fans may face Rome wait

Manchester United supporters have been warned they will be kept behind for 90 minutes after the Champions League quarter-final against AS Roma.

United have reservations about the move, but local police insist it is vital to prevent trouble between fans.

Old Trafford officials now plan to show club videos to their 4,000 strong travelling contingent after home fans have left the Stadio Olimpico.

The first leg is being played in Rome on Wednesday 4 April.

Supporters have been warned of the delay in a letter from United which has been sent out with match tickets.

The club have also passed on more specific information warning of the dangers of travelling independently to the stadium.

They have advised that supporters of other English teams have experienced major safety problems due to the violent behaviour of the local 'ultras'.

According to the letter, of particular danger are the metro trains to the Piazza Flaminio, the Ponte Nenni bridge and also the Campo de Fiori.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

talk is that we'll have vds, fletch, ole and louis back tomorrow as well, or if not for tomorrow then in the next week \O/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am pretty sure Fletch is not "on" for tomorrow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

only going off what various websites are saying

Louis icon_cool.gif

Mon 7 more goals icon_mad.gif

Ali so desperate for a free pint! He's got a minimum of 11 games and a maximum of 15 (if I've done my sums correctly) to get the goals you need for him to win you the bet, so all you need him to do is maintain his form and fitn...err, well never mind there's always next year.

Man Utd stay top of wealth league

Manchester United have been named the most valuable team in the world, by Forbes business magazine.

United (£740m) retained top spot ahead of Real Madrid (£528m) and third-placed Arsenal (£466m) who nipped ahead of AC Milan, with Chelsea (£274m) in eighth.

Barcelona's Ronaldinho (£15.2m) leapfrogged David Beckham (£14.8m) to become the highest earning footballer.

However, Beckham's lucrative move to Major League Soccer side LA Galaxy was not taken into account.

Five of the players in the richest players' list ply their trade in the Premiership - Wayne Rooney, Michael Ballack, Thierry Henry, John Terry and Steven Gerrard.

United no longer command the largest yearly revenues, with their £158m surpassed by Real Madrid (£191m), Barcelona (£169m) and Juventus (£164m).

Forbes' most valuable football clubs:

1 Man Utd £740m

2 Real Madrid £528m

3 Arsenal £466m

4 Bayern Munich £427m

5 AC Milan £420m

6 Juventus £289m

7 Inter Milan £282m

8 Chelsea £274m

9 Barcelona £273m

10 Schalke 04 £240m

11 Liverpool £231m

12 Lyon £175m

13 Newcastle £132m

14 Tottenham £124m

15 Roma £114m

16 Hamburg £112m

17 Man City £106m

18 B Dortmund £101m

19 Ajax £100m

20 Celtic £94m

21 Everton £84m

22 Marseille £80m

23 West Ham £79m

24 Rangers £75m

25 Aston Villa £71m

Highest-earning players :

1 Ronaldinho (Barcelona) £15.2m

2 David Beckham (Real Madrid) £14.8m

3 Ronaldo (AC Milan) £11.7m

4 Wayne Rooney (Man Utd) £8.7m

5 Michael Ballack (Chelsea) £8.7m

6 Thierry Henry (Arsenal) £8.2m

7 Zinedine Zidane (ex-Real Madrid) £8.2m

8 Fabio Cannavaro (Real Madrid) £7.6m

9 John Terry (Chelsea) £7.1m

10 Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) £7.1m </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

all is well, wp glazers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

So given we need a goalscorer, having sold one of proven international class, would anyone have him back? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no-one?

'Fishing' more accurate?

Jim, that pint will be mine. Louis'll come good, I just KNOW* it.

(*In the same way that Mart KNEW Hargreaves would sign). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fishing? I simply want to know how highly people rate David Healey now. icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

'Fishing' more accurate?

Jim, that pint will be mine. Louis'll come good, I just KNOW* it.

(*In the same way that Mart KNEW Hargreaves would sign). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fishing? I simply want to know how highly people rate David Healey now. icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too clever for your own good tbh icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United captain Gary Neville (ankle) is expected to remain on the sidelines for another three weeks.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (knee) and Edwin van der Sar (calf) should return while Darren Fletcher (ankle) is still two weeks away from fitness.

Blackburn's David Bentley is suspended after his red card at West Ham.

Aaron Mokoena is available following his one-game ban and Ryan Nelsen is set to return after missing the Hammers game with a hamstring injury.

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown, Heinze, Evra, Park, Ronaldo, O'Shea, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Richardson, Eagles, Rooney, Smith, Dong, Solskjaer.

Blackburn (from): Friedel, Emerton, Henchoz, Khizanishvili, Nelsen, Samba, Warnock, Berner, Mokoena, Tugay, Dunn, Pedersen, McCarthy, Roberts, Nonda, Brown, Derbyshire, Gallagher.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm glad Bentley is suspended, good player.

supposedly Rovers have only sold 1,800 tickets, worst support in the league imo.

Archived