Last chance! Help!!

Right im literally about to delete this version on fm and forget it was ever made, it is so frustrating its beyond belief! Here is what im using as my last shot at the game, feedback would be very much appreciated!

t19j.jpg

There are currently no PI's and I let my top defence coach do the OI's

My main problems are my board want me to play possession football so im trying to play like that but conceding far too many goals and hardly creating any chances at all. As usual most of the goals conceded are either down the flanks (which seems unstoppable now) and through the middle when my centre halfs go awol! :(

ps how do i upload the picture directly to the post?

use the "message boards & forums" link.

Otherwise, before anyone can help, they need to know what your issues are. What are you trying to do & how do you see your team playing?

It's obviously hard to tell exactly and I'm certain this thread will soon fill up with people asking what the problem is etc (I.e conceding too much / not scoring etc)...

As a start point, however, I would recommend changing your striker to one with a support role and considering a DLF (s). I have found that role works well in a 41221 formation as it links better with the rest of the team. Otherwise they can become isolated...

It's obviously hard to tell exactly and I'm certain this thread will soon fill up with people asking what the problem is etc (I.e conceding too much / not scoring etc)...

As a start point, however, I would recommend changing your striker to one with a support role and considering a DLF (s). I have found that role works well in a 41221 formation as it links better with the rest of the team. Otherwise they can become isolated...

I would add that I don't think 2 wingers helps with a possession orientated desire. I'd have at least one of them as an IF, if not both.

You've gone for shorter passing - if your players have any hope of achieving this and working their way up the pitch, then you need to think about keeping them close to one another. An APa instead of a CMa will stay closer to his midfield partner & actually may even be better in a Support role. Again, as you want to be possession orientated, don't be in such a rush to have players running forward.

I think your basic system looks fine, but it's not fluid yet so give it a bit of time and change your prematch training to Tactics Only and max it out.

You could experiment with mentalities to see what suits best and what you like, but it seems at least you're on the right path.

I'm no expert(trust me) but if you want to play out from the back wouldn't you want a DLP type player in the DM strata?

Not necessarily - I manage it with an anchorman. The DLP in the CM rank should drop in to collect the ball I think.

Yeah that happens quite often so im not too fussed where they DLP plays. Due to the fact im playing online with mates it takes ridiculous amounts of time to get a tactic fluid (despite the fact si say there is no difference) but I'll give it a shot but tbh im just getting really bored of fm14 now I hate to say :(

I think its a mistake many people make.

You shouldnt be surprised to concede goals down the flanks. You are playing 4-3-3. Its not 4-5-1 as the game would have you believe at all. Your wingers start in the AM strata, so you will be week down the flanks.

I would really think about moving the wide players into the ML and MR strata. You will think "oh but 4-1-4-1 is a really defensive shape" - It is not. Its your base shape but it will play far more like what you are looking for.

Your shape plays very much like Liverpool do at the moment. The 2 wide players are pure attackers. If you have great work rate, team work, and a few other key attributes you might just make it work, but your flanks will always be weakest, particularly with the CM set up you have.

Try it.......

I think its a mistake many people make.

You shouldnt be surprised to concede goals down the flanks. You are playing 4-3-3. Its not 4-5-1 as the game would have you believe at all. Your wingers start in the AM strata, so you will be week down the flanks.

I would really think about moving the wide players into the ML and MR strata. You will think "oh but 4-1-4-1 is a really defensive shape" - It is not. Its your base shape but it will play far more like what you are looking for.

Your shape plays very much like Liverpool do at the moment. The 2 wide players are pure attackers. If you have great work rate, team work, and a few other key attributes you might just make it work, but your flanks will always be weakest, particularly with the CM set up you have.

Try it.......

I had problems defending the flanks with this formation until I put some advice given to me by RTHerringbone:

TI - hassle opposition

2 CD with cover and hold position as a PI.

2 full backs with press less and hold position as PIs and support.

Since doing this and with my anchor man in DM I have been reasonably secure in defense.

With the tactic in the OP, I imagine you see lots of players getting in each other's way when in deep possession.

Your shouts compress the back line and midfield into a very small amount of space. That's fine, but as soon as you win the ball, you are asking them to play it around between them. You'll have seven players almost on top of each other trying to play possession football at a briskish tempo. Unless you've got world-class passers, I'd expect a lot of misplaced passes and losses of possession in dangerous areas.

Possible solutions:

1: Play a less aggressive strategy (e.g. counter) so that the players are more inclined to drop into deeper positions once they've won the ball. That will open deep space in possession and slow things down a bit, which will help with the possession at the back strategy.

2: Play with a slightly lower line without the offside trap so the back seven aren't condensed so much.

3: Get rid of the DMC so the defensive strata has more space to work with

The second tactic is better but it will be somewhat toothless. It compresses itself up front by having two IFs and a DLF, who'll all be competing for the same space. You have the AP and IF both moving forward up the same side of the pitch, which will cut down potential passing angles. You'll struggle to pull off the final ball with such a short passing, low tempo system. You are almost completely reliant on the AP finding space behind the DLF, which he'll struggle to do with IF moving infield. The DLP will be too deep to hit killer passes most of the time. Ultimately, you'll be reliant on the left wing (mainly the WB) for chance creation, which is probably not your intention.

It compresses itself up front by having two IFs and a DLF, who'll all be competing for the same space.

I see this mentioned quite a bit and I was wondering, don't quite a few teams play like this IRL? Ronaldo,Benzema,Bale for example?

Would you consider Bale's role to be more of a winger maybe?

I see this mentioned quite a bit and I was wondering, don't quite a few teams play like this IRL? Ronaldo,Benzema,Bale for example?

Would you consider Bale's role to be more of a winger maybe?

It's very possible to do in FM14, but it requires a logical supply strategy, generally quicker and more direct, so the runners get hit early before they compress too much. However, you could argue that Bale and Ronaldo were APMs, as they are the main creators in the final third, which is an entirely different thing.

Archived