[FM14] 'Le Football Anti-Social'

Moonshine

FK-Vitebsk.png

FC Vitebsk

Belarussian Highest League 2022

November

NovemberResults_zpsa684ffc2.png

After Ignat Dostanko conceded 27 in his last 7 games I replaced him with youngster Artyom Pogodin, and played with an older player alongside either 20 y/o Denis Nikitin or 18 y/o Vitaliy Pavlovets at centre back. It seemed to work as we only conceded 3 in our last 3 matches, with a good win over Shakhter Soligorsk before losses to second and first Dinamo Minsk and BATE to end the season. Pogodin is making claims for a starting berth next season.

FinalTable_zpse7b06926.png

At the end of the season, sixth is good. We are as good as the teams below us certainly, and can perhaps clear Soligorsk, but the top four look untouchable. As perspective, we pay £550k p/a in wages at the moment. Tycoon-funded Dnepr Mogilev pay £14.8m p/a, 30 x what we do, while Dinamo Minsk and BATE pay £5m and £4.2m respectively. Zhodino pay a more modest £1.13m, but that’s still double our wage bill, with European money adding to it. Dinamo Minsk also averaged a little over 24000 people a game this season. I averaged just under 5000.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FK-Vitebsk.png

FC Vitebsk

Highest League 2022

End of Season

Highest League

Despite a poor finish, just making the Championship group was a real achievement. With improvements to the squad, another outing in the Championship group may be on the cards.

Belarussian Cup

Terrible. Lost to First League Pinsk playing a second string.

Finances

Less transfer spend, though I’m looking at a fair amount over pre-season, combined with another year of £1m sponsorship means we made £200K over the course of the season. We are still in the red, however. Pilyutik’s £250k appearance clause will be triggered in his next match.

[http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g459/MoonshineMax/FM%202014%20Career/Vitebsk%202022/EndSquad_zps1092c0fe.png]Squad[/url]

The average ratings for the defence took a nose dive in those 7 games in which conceded 3+ per game. Overall they played well, except for the fullbacks. A fair few outgoing on free transfers, new full backs wanted. With the rise of youth player Alexandr Kuzminich on loan, we will be looking to introduce wingers next season (shock! Horror!)

Fans Player of the Season:

RobertLoban_zps672a2bb5.png

Robert Loban had a great goalscoring season, reclaiming his favoured Trequartista spot and providing crucial goals left, right and centre.

My Player of the Season:

IgorVolkov_zps48096708.png

Igor Volkov. 13 goals in 31 isn’t bad, but he came in and did what I wanted – score goals – and even set them up, with 8 assist – as opposed to the strikers around him, who didn’t.

My Young Player of the Season:

IljaApshev_zps943c4512.png

Ilja Apshev, who had his Trequartista position stolen by a resurgent Loban, but played well through the centre.

Seasons Honours:

Highest League : Champions: BATE Borisov

Champions League: Dinamo Minsk

Relegated: Naftan

First League: Champions: Smolevichi

Relegated: Rudensk and Polatsk

Belarussian Cup: Neman Grodno 2p-2BATE

Belarussian Super Cup: Dinamo Minsk 1-1p BATE

European League Winners:

Belgium: Club Brugge

Bulgaria: Botev (Plovdiv)

Croatia: Dinamo

England: Man Utd.

France: AS Monaco (x2)

Germany: FC Bayern

Greece: PAOK (x2)

Hungary: Ujpest (x4)

Italy: Inter Milan (x6)

Netherlands: PSV (x2)

Poland: Legia

Portugal: Porto

Romania: ACS Poli

Russia: Zenit

Scotland: Celtic (x11)

Serbia: Partizan

Slovakia: Ruzemburok

Spain: Real Madrid (x8)

Sweden: IFK Gotenberg (x4)

Switzerland: Basel (x7)

Turkey: Besiktas

Ukraine: Metalist (x2)

Champions League: FC Bayern 1-0 Real Madrid

Hosts: Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid, Spain

Europa League: Shakhter 1-1p AC Milan

Hosts: Allianz-Arena, Munich, Germany

European Super Cup: FC Bayern 0-1 AC Milan

Hosts: Estadio D. Afonso Henriques, Guimares, Portugal

World Cup 2022- Hosts Qatar, Holders Spain

Out in group stages: Jamaica, Qatar, Norway, Iraq, Colombia, USA, Chile, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Costa Rica, Brazil, South Korea, Spain, Armenia, Japan, Poland

Second Round:

Italy 2-0 South Africa

Austria 2-0 Egypt

Germany 2-1 Portugal

Serbia 1-2 Holland

France 3-1 Algeria

Wales 0p-0 England

Mexico 4-0 Nigeria

Uruguay 1-2 Argentina

Quarter Final:

Italy 1-0 Holland

Austria 0-1 Germany

France 0-1 Argentina

Wales 2-1 Mexico

Semi Final:

Italy 0p-0 Wales

Germany 2e-0 Argentina

Third Place:

Argentina 1-2 Wales

Final:

Italy 1-0 Germany

Best Player: Lorenzo Pezzi (Italy)

FK-Vitebsk.png

FC Vitebsk

Belarussian Highest League 2022

Pre Season

Expectations

Highest League: Mid-Table

Belarussian Cup: Third Round

Bookmakers: 33-1

Transfers

PreTransfers_zpsb5811172.png

The usual swathe of out-of-contract players out, including Sergey Lebedev and Igor Tymonyuk. Lebedev will be missed, but Tymonyuk was getting old. The only sale was Vladimir Smirnov, a young, average DC for £1k.

If we ignore Lomako and Shamshorik (youth prospects who I decided to keep very late on), we had a decent amount of signings. Mrinskiy is a youngster with great potential, and tuppence ha’penny. He’ll be loaned out this year. In the first team are big signing Yuriy Vasilets and Yuriy Tsykalo. The first is a 30 y/o winger with good Highest League experience at Shakhter Soligorsk. Tsykalo on the other hand is a raw 18 y/o defender (I have a fair few of those…), an under 19 international and perhaps fourth choice… Loshankov and Leonchik are wingers and Vergeichik looks fantastic as a young backup striker.

Alexandr Vasiljev

Yuriy Tsykalo

Alexandr Mrinskiy

Pavel Loshankov

Yuriy Vergeichik

Nikolay Leonchik

Yuriy Vasilets

Squad

SquadStart_zpsc22b863b.png

Friendly Results

Friendlies_zps6f7590ae.png

More wins, and a spectacular showing from Alexandr Platonov.

Also of note, though it hasn’t affected anything:

TakeoverComplete_zps34cf6a0b.png

• 1 month later...

FK-Vitebsk.png

FC Vitebsk

Belarussian Highest League 2023

May

MayResults_zpsde0b4211.png

A poor 1-0 loss to Gomel was followed by a first goal for Yuriy Vergeichik as we equalised late at Neman Grodno. We then got thoroughly shafted by Belshina to end the month. Hmm.

MayTable_zpsdd13840a.png

FK-Vitebsk.png

FC Vitebsk

June

JuneResults_zps0504eaa8.png

Goals. Scored, conceded. Goals. Platonov put us 2 up against Mogilev before they pegged us back, and then we went 3 down against top-of-the-table BATE. Apshev and two late goals from sub Vergeichik made me delirious with joy. At home to Zhodino was a real ding-dong battle. We went down 1-0 after four minutes, only to have youngster Yakimov equalise almost straight away. Going behind again, Vergeichik popped up before going behind a third time and Yakimov equalising yet again. Some great performances from the two youngsters, though. We were fortunate against Minsk: Asare’slate equaliser was his first goal in 16 hours of football, and Loban’s penalty was the last kick of the game. We won at last, though remain 11th. A good month then, despite the final loss – a game in which we played very well.

jUNEtABLE_zpsf6c58c99.png

FK-Vitebsk.png

FC Vitebsk

July

JulyResults_zps717e8811.png

A good thrashing of bottom-team Solivechi was followed by a poor loss to 10th placed Gomel. An early red for my right back Oduro, and another for left back Fastov in the second half saw me lose 3-0 to Soligorsk, deservedly. A final loss of the month, at home to Neman Grodno, and I’m rather depressed. Job applications to Malmo and Elfsbjorg in Sweden have been turned down, and with the Torpedo Zhodino job open I may jump in-country…

JulyTable_zps348f8d6d.png

Belarussian Cup

Decided to play a slightly weakened team away at Partizan Minsk - and played appalingly, despite leading twice.

BelarussianCup2ndRd_zps268b30d7.png

Transfer News

I forgot to sign 19 y/o first choice DC Vitaliy Pavlovets to a new contract, so he will be leaving on a free to Dinamo Brest at the end of the season. Hopefully I’ll get some compensation – I don’t know though…

• 2 weeks later...

FK-Vitebsk.png

FC Vitebsk

August

AugustResults_zps17444752.png

A good performance against Belshina was thrown away by my keeper dropping a simple corner into the path of an attacker in the 88th minute for a 1-0 loss, which swiftly became 2-0 as I sent my players all-out. Games against Dnepr Mogilev and BATe felt good – both teams are top-four, and draws are credible results. However, Smolevichi beat both BATE and Minsk, so they are just a point behind us.

AugustTable_zpsbced0a0e.png

In other news

I applied for more jobs -Torpedo Zhodino, GIF Sundsvall – and was rejected from both.

FK-Vitebsk.png

FC Vitebsk

September

SeptemberResults_zps7e06eec1.png

A loss in the last game of the first phase against Torpedo Zhodino saw me play a counter attacking 4-4-2 for the first time, and receive a credible result. Reverting to my favoured 4-1-2-1-2, with a midfield diamond for home games saw wins against Zhodino again and Dinamo Brest, while the 4-4-2 lost crucially away at Smolevichi. No standout performances though. But at least we won a few games, and Volkov got on the scoresheet for the first time in 16.

SeptemberTable_zps33848ca3.png

• 2 weeks later...

FK-Vitebsk.png

FC Vitebsk

October

OctoberResults_zpsc2d08d8d.png

All in all a fairly poisitive month, starting with a late draw against Gomel. Platonov turned up in the second half against Belshina to confirm a win, but then disappeared against Torpedo Zhodino: we totally outplayed them, creating 8 clear cut chances (6 of which were for Platonov) in a counter-attacking 4-4-2. However a combination of **** poor finishing and excellent goalkeeping meant we lost 2-0. With Smolevichi and Belshina at home to come, we need wins in both, really.

OctoberTable_zps4997d1e1.png

Youth Prospects

YouthProspects_zps985c8d1a.png

Not bad. You never know, Hleb might make it considering quite how terrible our full backs are.

Andrey Hleb

Alexey Pinchuk

Vasily Sergeev

FK-Vitebsk.png

FC Vitebsk

November

NovemberResults_zps91b1192c.png

The results look good, but what they hide is that Smolevichi won both their other games. That, combined with the 4-1 loss to them earlier in the season means that we go into the final match of the season bottom. We need to beat Smolevichi’s result to have even a chance of staying up.

NovemberTable_zpsce1a1d83.png

One positive, though, in Asare (at last) coming into a fine vein of form. He's only scored 8 times in 31 games at the club, but four ofthose have come in his last 3 games and he won Player of the Month for it.

AsaraPotM_zps3379d693.png

FK-Vitebsk.png

FC Vitebsk

December

It looks like this:

FinalDayMatches_zps9cef7745.png

In theory we have the easier match, at home to 10th place Gomel while Smolevichi travel to 7th placed Torpedo Zhodino. But we all know that’s not how it works. Remember: to stay up we have to beat Smolevichi’s result, so if they win or we lose we go down.

ZhodinoSmolevichi_zpsb3da1f5c.png

We needed a win then. Could we do it?

VitebskGomel_zps02514927.png

No, it turns out. We were never in danger of scoring, let alone winning. A **** poor season, in truth.

Resignation_zps17b67356.png

432px-Fortuna_Sittard_logo.svg.png

FORTUNA SITTARD

ContractOffer_zps67c7d51d.png

CorrreiaHired_zps29df8f18.png

Formed in 1968 from the merger of clubs Fortuna ’54 and Sittardia, Fortuna Sittard play in the 10,300 capacity all-seater Trendwork Arena in the Dutch city of Sittard. They’ve never won the Eredivisie, but as Fortuna ’54 won the Dutch cup in 1957 and ’64, and finished runners up in 1984 and 1999. Fortuna Sittard won the Jupiler League in ’59, ’64, ’66 and ’95.

The club has minor rivalries with Roda JC and MVV, and feature below-average training facilities, adequate youth facilities and average youth recruitment. Improving these will be my focus – the club produced Mark Van Bommel, and if I can produce someone half as good during my time I’ll be pleased.

3061898321_1_8_62xbIMpI.png

In joining, the club want a respectable position, while the media think 18th is realistic. The club currently sits 11th with two games to play until the winter break, and this is where I want them to stay.

StartTable_zpsad8da543.png

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

Dutch Jupiler League 2023-24

December

DecemberFixtures_zps8feca8e6.png

Start as you mean to go on, eh? Two losses, both heavy, 1 goal scored, 7 conceded, I can’t think of a much worse way to begin. To be fair, De Graafschap are probably the best team in the league outside of Jong Ajax (Ajax’s second team), and we played well despite the 4-0 scoreline. Oss was less good, but perhaps I can blame a new tactic with only 30% cohesion….

Decembertable_zps852d324d.png

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

January

JanuaryFixtures_zps49b21767.png

Hooray! A win! A fortunate goal from a long-range free kick by Gerritsen followed by a penalty from on-loan left back Rios meant we beat Barendrecht. We followed that with a fantastic draw away at Jong Ajax, deservedly coming back from 2-0 down.

JanuaryTable_zpsec84a6b6.png

Transfer News

Signed an AML, Raynathan Zimmerman, on a free. As well as possessing a wonderful name, he's pretty nifty too.

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

February

FebruaryFixtures_zps8bc3b403.png

A decent draw with Dordrecht was sandwiched between credible losses to 1st and second respectively, Sparta and Jong PSV. Cyril Ouvrard scored on his debut off the bench against Jong PSV, which Is good. Considering I’ve been changing tactics like an actor clothes, it’s pretty decent. A final win against Jong FC Twente was a good one – made to look worse by their last minute consolation goal as I tried to kill the gameoff.

FebruaryTable_zpsb599f32f.png

Transfer News

Signed a new, fast, Striker, Frenchman Cyril Ouvrard, on a free.

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

March

MarchResults_zps4eb13f1c.png

Excellent wins against SC Cambuur and Lisse were swiftly forgotten as we forgot how to defend. 8 goals shipped in 2 matches, including a last minute winner for Zwolle saw two losses – the loss to Helmond Sport was particularly riling, as the scored with half their shots on goal. A good solid return to winning ways against Almere City, the goal coming from a corner. A 0-0 draw with Noordswijk finished off a long month.

MarchTable_zpsae4ce62a.png

Youth Prospects

YouthCandidates_zpsd313b217.png

Truly a Golden Generation. This kind of youth could keep me going for years to come. Thomas Vaessen in particular looks astonishing.

Thomas Vaessen

Harry van der Linden

Sven van Veen

Peter Bakker

Bert Geurts

Hans Kuipers

Lahoucine Labiad

Theo Grunholz

Sad indeed. To be fair, we didn't have much future - the other top clubs had more money and better attendances. Vitebsk sold the 17 year old Striker, Yuriy Vergeichik, a month after I left for £750k to Neman Grodno - I had no chance of holding on to player like that, and no way of making enough money to buy other decent players. At least Sittardhave growth potential.

Also, an oddity: the team that replaced me in the Highest League were Beryoza, who were champions when I went up, but didn't get promoted: giving me the playoff position that got me up. Odd that suddenly they could get promoted.

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

April

AprilFixtures_zps43a37664.png

Two cruel, cruel losses in games where we dominated against Excelsior and ten-man Eindhoven started the month, followed by a solid draw with MVV. However, with no goals scored I was starting to worry – a slight tweak to the tactics and we came back from behind superbly to beat FC Den Bosch in the final game of the season – with youth-product Thomas Vaessen scoring the first of I hope many goals for the club.

FinalLeagueTable_zps59388a9d.png

Other News

NewContract_zpsd5c914b1.png

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

Jupiler League 2023/4

End of Season

Jupiler League

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Very much average since joining, though we were working on tactics for most of the season. Expect better once the team is fluid from the get go.

Finances

**** poor. The club are £400k in debt. I don’t expect a transfer budget, though with 14 players leaving, including the club’s highest earner, hopefully the wage structure will make up for the lack of money.

Squad

It’s alright, I guess. An awful lot (13 players) are leaving on a free, but with enough retained to give some spine to the team. I want to build using my golden generation, hence games for van Venn and Vaessen already, and the inclusion of Kuipers and van Linden in the squad.

Fans Player of the Season:

JoeyPotveer_zps4d741416.png

Jordan Potveer, my goalkeeper, who was extremely good throughout.

My Player of the Season:

MitchellPaulisen_zpsec1fc3b0.png

Mitchell Paullisen. He got injured toward the back end of the season, and 3 games in a row without a goal – despite dominating - spoke loud and clear.

My Young Player of the Season:

MartijnMaas_zps655196da.png

On loan Martijn Maas, extremely solid at Right Back, a position where I struggled immensely at Vitebsk. I’ll be trying my damnedest to sign him.

Seasons Honours:

Jupiler League : Champions: Sparta

Promoted: Dinamo Minsk

Relegated: Lisse

Eredivisie Champions: FC Twente

Champion’s League: Ajax

Relegated: Go Ahead Eagles, NEC,

Dutch Cup: PSV 4e-3 FC Utrecht

Dutch Super Cup: Ajax 1-0 AZ

European League Winners:

Belarus: Dinamo Minsk

Belgium: Genk (x2)

Bulgaria: Ludogorets (x2)

Croatia: Hadjuk (x2)

England: Arsenal

France: PSG (x2)

Germany: Dortmund

Greece: Ast. Tripolis

Hungary: Debrecen (x2)

Italy: Fiorentina

Netherlands: FC Twente

Poland: Legia (x3)

Portugal: Porto

Romania: ACS Poli

Russia: CSKA (x2)

Scotland: Celtic (x13)

Serbia: Partizan

Slovakia: Zilina (x2)

Spain: Real Madrid

Sweden: IFK Gotenberg (x5)

Switzerland: Young Boys (x2)

Turkey: Besiktas (x3)

Ukraine: Karpaty

Champions League: Barcelona 1-0 Inter

Hosts: Stade Velodrome, Marseilles, France

Europa League: Fiorentine 4-1 Basel

Hosts: City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester, England

European Super Cup: Barcelona 2-3 Real Betis

Hosts: Philips Stadion, Eindhoven, Holland

(Bear in mind I’ve missed a year because of the move from Vitebsk…)

Euro 2024- Hosts: Sweden, Holders: Germany

DNQ: Holland

Out in group stages: Russia, Austria, Sweden, Belarus, Norway, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Germany, Georgia

Second Round:

England 0-0p Ukraine

Israel 2-0 Slovakia

Spain 2-2p Czech Republic

Greece 2-1 Croatia

Turkey 2-3 Portugal

Scotland 3-2 Denmark

France 1-2e Serbia

Poland 1-3 Italy

Quarter Final:

Israel 0-1 Ukraine

Czech Republic 0-3 Greece

Scotland 4-0 Portugal

Italy 0-6 Serbia

Semi Final:

Ukraine 0-3 Serbia

Greece 3-1 Scotland

Final:

Serbia 5-0 Scotland

Player of the Tournament: Mark Campbell (Scotland) – 6 games, 6 goals, 1 Assist, 7.83 Average

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

Jupiler League 2024-5

Pre Season

Expectations

Jupiler League: Mid-Table

Dutch Cup: Third Round

Bookmakers: 40-1

Media: 14th

Transfers

Transfers_zpsadabd386.png

An absolute swathe of out-of-contract players (13 in all) out, and are replaced by 11 free transfers – too many, in fact, for me to be bothered to post screenshots of. Almost every position – bar GK and ST – gets either a backup or first choice (or both) signed, and there’s plenty of youth scattered throughout. I’m particularly keen on young Belgian RB Jorre Verhaegen and Portuguese DM Xisco Fernandez, both of whom should do an excellent job in this division.

Squad

Squad_zpscac2446c.png

Friendly Results[/b]

Friendlies_zps985e8b34.png

Really good pre-season. The draw with AZ in particular looks good.

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

Dutch Jupiler League 2024-5

August

AugustResults_zpsa07160db.png

A loss to start the season – though undeserved – was followed by some splendid performance both at home and away. The new signings gelled well, the tactics looked splendid and we are defensively solid. The win away at newly relegated Go Ahead Eagles was a great defensive display, the 3-0 thrashing of SC Cambuur looks like a late capitulation by thembut was the result of constistent pressure. Against Excelsior we bossed the midfield, and Xisco Fernandez scored a splendid 30-yard screamer. Finally away at Alemere City, Vaessen had two goals disallowed before Gerritsen scored in the last few minutes.

AugustTable_zps85a8ab44.png

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

September

SeptemberResults_zpsdab9c5e4.png

A draw with Jong PSV, a loss to Helmond Sport – but good performances in both – was followed by an upturn in form. Dordrecht were the first real ‘easy’ opponents, and were summarily dispatched, before Ufuma Ukusare and Zimmerman – a 30-yarder after a mistake by Jong Ajax’s ‘keeper – scored in a 2-0 win over them, a game in which both sides were reduced to ten-men, Xisco Fernandez sent off for us.

SeptemberTable_zpsc822912d.png

Dutch Cup

Dutchcup2ndrd_zps242c87e1.png

A difficult draw against Eredivisie stalwarts Vitesse resulted in a superb performance, with Gerritsen and Sebaa scoring in a 2-0 home win.

Fortuna Sittard

October

OctoberFictures_zps02219658.png

A poor loss to De Graafschap was sadly deserved. Next, a red card after just five minutes for Stephan Gerritsen set us on the back foot against Barendrecht. However, some tatcic changes brought us back from 1 down for a good draw. A 2-1 win away at 3rd placed Heracles brought usback into contention for the top places, with goals from Fernandez and Sebaa giving us victory. Finalgame of the month should have been the easiest – it wasn’t to be, as a squad stymied by injury drew a bore 0-0 draw with bottom team Kozakken Boys.

Sadly had to send young DC Jan Brunswijk back to AZ mid-way through the month as he broke his pelvis and was out for 5 months. Indeed, this is part of a ridiculous injury streak which has left me with only 2 DCs and no DLs (among other injuries).

OctoberTable_zps66343aa8.png

Dutch Cup

Dutchcup3rdrd_zps9b791141.png

A much more simple draw against non-league, and wonderfully named, Be Quick. A simple 3-0 victory. And, thankfully, NEC beat Feyenoord on penalties, so they’re up next – I have a chance!

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

January

JanuaryFixtures_zps6454baec.png

Back from the winter break in the same for we entered it – excellently, with Arjan Baan on song. Victories against Excelsior and Helmond Sport were interrupted by a draw with Almere City, but we top the period table.

JanuaryTable_zpscb08d905.png

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

February

FebruaryFixtures_zps6bb14065.png

Against Jong PSV we played fantastically, winning 2-0 before going down to 10 men early doors against FC Dordrecht, Abdelouhab Sebaa getting two yellows within 16 minutes. However, we played excellently – winning a penalty, scored by Gerritsen, and then getting a second. A fantastic win in the end, and extremely important. With Gerritsen, Sebaa and Fernandex all suspended, it was the Arjan baan show against Jong Ajax, scoring twice as we came from behind, before Lahoucine Labiad’s first senior goal sealed the win, and with that win we secure a playoff spot, winning the fourth period. Finally, we beat top-of-the-table De Graafschap away, Vaessen scoring his first for a wee while.

FebruaryTable_zps77ef7f40.png

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

March

MarchFictures_zps2d00ada8.png

Another excellent month, with wins over Heracles, Jong Twente and Kozakken Boys following a loss to Barendrecht. Baan’s five goals this month have taken him to fourteen for the season, nearly a goal every other game: despite starting only half the games he’s played. In our last game, new youth prospect Mark Geurtjens makes his debut at left back after Romeo Feiken is injured early on, and, excitingly, Arjan Baan’s second goal comes direct from a corner – the first time I’ve ever seen this happen on FM.

MarchTable_zpsa468ff1a.png

Youth Prospects

YouthProspects_zps357c6cd6.png

There must be something in the water in Sittard. Coming off the back of my best ever Youth Intake last season, this season’s is equally astonishing. Already, Mark Geurtjens has made his debut, and I’m sure Rob Fuhler will join him soon.

Mark Geurtjens

Rob Fuhler

Marco Koeman

Jan Koeman

Joost Kuipers

Abdelilah Haddad

Kevin Lobo

Jesper Verbeek

Ed Visser

Paul Vonk

Bob Bouma

Tom Drenth

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

April

AprilFixtures_zpscd7d24d7.png

Into the final stretch, and still playing well. A 1-1 draw with FC Oss starts the month, before a stunning display from Stephan Gerritsen sends us second in a 2-1 victory over FC Eindhoven. Sadly, Joey Potveer, ever present in goal this season, suffers a slipped disc just before this match, and is out for 3 months – meaning that despite his 13 clean sheets playing a part getting us to the playoffs, eh won’t play in them. Our penultimate match sees an 84th minute Zwolle penalty cancels out Sebaa’s free-kick, gifting them an undeserved draw – the first penalty we’ve conceded all season. However, 89th and 92nd minute FC Dordrecht goals against Go Ahead Eagles leave an interesting table come the final game of the season…

PenultimateTable_zps1021a34f.png

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

Final Game

How it stands:

Howitstands_zpsd2a073c6.png

We go into our match at 7th placed NEC knowing victory will guarantee promotion.

Go Ahead Eagles play 16th placed Jong Ajax at home.

De Graafschap are at Noordwijk, in 9th, who also need a win in order to qualify for the playoffs.

Permutations:

Fortuna Sittard win: Promotion

Fortuna Sittard Draw, GAE don’t win, De Graafschap don’t win: Fortuna Sittard promoted

Fortuna Sittard draw, GAE win: GAE Promoted

Fortuna Sittard draw, GAE don’t win, De Graafschap win: De Graafschap Promoted

Fortuna Sittard lose, GAE win: GAE promoted

Fortuna Sittard lose, GAE draw, De Graafschap don’t win: GAE promoted

Fortuna Sittard lose, GAE draw, De Graafschap win: De Graafschap promoted

Fortuna Sittard lose, GAE lose, De Graafschap don’t win: Fortuna Sittard promoted

Fortuna Sittard lose, GAE lose, De Graafschap don’t lose: De Graafschap promoted

Got that?

How it happened:

NoorwijkDeGraafschap_zps22848acb.png

De Graafschap blow it, Noorwijk qualifying for the playoffs with a good win.

GAEJongAjax_zps1ddeb1d8.png

Go Ahead Eagles demolish Jong Ajax, leaving nodoubt as to their intentions on the title.

NECFortunaSittard_zps87e1583e.png

And what a blow. A 93rd minute corner, headed against the bar and scrambled home to prevent us from winning the title, and consigning us to the playoffs. The 93rd minute.

FinalTable_zps13025375.png

Fortuna_Sittard.png

Fortuna Sittard

Playoffs

With injuries to Arjan Baan and recently recalled-from-loan Rayan Dauodi, the squad was looking thin up front. Drawn against Zwolle, the only team I didn’t beat all season, fresh from the crushing draw against NEC, and lacking my first-choice Goalkeeper and Striker, I wasn’t feeling optimistic.

SittardZwolle_zps9170f49d.png

SittardZwolle2_zpsace24ef9.png

SittardVolendam_zps69413463.png

SittardVolendam2_zps533c6240.png

Unbelievable. Albert Hofman, perennially second choice and out of contract in the summer, popping up where it counts for his first three goals all season. It won’t help his contract cause though… Promotion \o/

Archived