FM14 Team Talks Guide???

Are there any good team talk guides for FM14?

For me personally, I still fully haven't gotten the grasp of when I should be using a certain "tone" to my talks. There are time when I would personally think that passionate tone would be more appropriate over assertive for example.

I don't find that "cheat sheet" too useful, it does little as to explain why as well as doesn't clarify the whole:

'Calm/Assertive/Passionate'

Maybe I am doing it wrong, but when people use "/" to separate words, it means "and/or". This just says use passionate for everything.

I wouldn't mind seeing something that explains a little more.

In match team talks has suggestion for what you should say from the Assistant Manager. There is a drop down list of other staff as well.

What they say is a good place to start and provides hints with key words. I can't remember the exact wording but if the the say something about fans, give the talk with the fan in the text.

Also, if the Ass Man says has the following:

- "Tell them..." = Assertive

- "I think..." = Cautious

Games against Rivals (listed in the info screens) should use Passionate.

Team of youngesters (less than 21) should lean towards Calm instead of Assertive.

Lossing or lost badly then give them Aggressive.

Don't know when to use Reluctant. Never seen the opportunity.

My general rule (not necessary right) is that after saying something I want some sort of reaction and avoid "No Reaction Noticed" (again, can't remember the text) and red reactions. I'm looking for a change or green. Remember after a general talk you can give sections (Defense, Midfield, Strikers) or to individual to get that change.

Individual talks, for subs for example, should be Assertive for older players and Calm for young, usally giving "faith".

Calm, "No Pressure" for players picking up their first few starts.

Aggressive, "Expect performance" for Key First team players when a result is need.

Almost always choose "like last match" or "expect bettter" options when they come up.

Sorry, I'm not infront of FM to give precise information but this is what I do and it seems to work. Other Managers may have other approaches.

One thing to note. If you reputation is too low for the club (like i am having in my current save), team talks can be really tricky.

Even if you say the "right thing" you still might get wrong reactions. That's just because they don't think much about you. It will change overtime as your reputation rises and the players get to know you.

One thing to note. If you reputation is too low for the club (like i am having in my current save), team talks can be really tricky.

Even if you say the "right thing" you still might get wrong reactions. That's just because they don't think much about you. It will change overtime as your reputation rises and the players get to know you.

Yes, forgot about that.

Your starting reputation is based on your starting experience. It defaults on Automatic and ranges from Sunday League to International. I think Automatic is based on the team you choose(maybe?). As MTM1977 has said, as your reputation rises as you do well. Reputation may even fall if doing badly I imagine.

Yeah, it's a big problem when you take over a big club. You have no respect from your players, and it takes a while to get it where any of the players remotely care what you say.

Team talk guides are all well and good, but the personality of your team is huge, if you have a professional set of players, you can push them really hard, tell them they were rubbish when they get 6.8 ratings, and it works really well.

Yeah, it's a big problem when you take over a big club. You have no respect from your players, and it takes a while to get it where any of the players remotely care what you say.

Team talk guides are all well and good, but the personality of your team is huge, if you have a professional set of players, you can push them really hard, tell them they were rubbish when they get 6.8 ratings, and it works really well.

Doesn't need to be exactly a big club either.

My current team is Oviedo in Spanish 2nd Division. However, many players have national reputation, but as my manager character is 25 years old, with no previous experience, his reputation is only regional.

So, that naturally proves a challenge with talks. It's not rare to see "thinks manager lacked credibility" when giving comment to players going in as substitute :D

However, we have been doing really well, so they are starting to pay more attention. Team talks are having the effect they should be, although still some players in there who don't listen.

Yes, forgot about that.

Your starting reputation is based on your starting experience. It defaults on Automatic and ranges from Sunday League to International. I think Automatic is based on the team you choose(maybe?). As MTM1977 has said, as your reputation rises as you do well. Reputation may even fall if doing badly I imagine.

Automatic is based on the league you choose, and I think it's based on the lowest team in that league. So, it can provide some challenge, especially for certain leagues. In La Liga, for example, a reputation that's appropriate for Valladolid will be very low for Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Are there any good team talk guides for FM14?

For me personally, I still fully haven't gotten the grasp of when I should be using a certain "tone" to my talks. There are time when I would personally think that passionate tone would be more appropriate over assertive for example.

I've found some success by taking the SFraser perspective: you're managing a football club, not solving a spreadsheet. How would you feel if you were living the situation?

If you were a player on the field, what would you want your boss to say, and how would you expect him to say it? What are realistic expectations for the team in that match? If you're Valladolid leading Barcelona by a goal at halftime, you'd probably feel pretty excited about it. Reverse the roles, and Assertive or Calm is probably fine.

The assistant advice can be helpful, but be careful about following it blindly. I played a match once where I had a player (wrongly) sent off before halftime. Lost another to injury later and finished with nine men. Managed a draw, though on paper before the match expected to win. After the match, my assistants were encouraging the "That was not good enough" talk, when frankly, I was pretty happy to have escaped with a draw. I used "Unlucky boys" on Calm or Assertive, and got like 13 green reactions.

I've found some success by taking the SFraser perspective: you're managing a football club, not solving a spreadsheet. How would you feel if you were living the situation?

Sometimes FM logic is quite different from real life logic. Recently we were down 0-2 because of my left back, who made a couple of really silly mistakes. I told him I was disappointed in his performance, and he reacted quite badly. (Later I learnt he is quite unprofessional.)

Here's a tip I came across. Click on all your squads chat buttons one by one and make a note of how each player responds ie Calm, Cautious, Assertive etc and write down each players response. From then on in the Team Talk Individual chats or any other time you chat to your squad talk to them in the manner that they responded. It really does work.

Sometimes FM logic is quite different from real life logic. Recently we were down 0-2 because of my left back, who made a couple of really silly mistakes. I told him I was disappointed in his performance, and he reacted quite badly. (Later I learnt he is quite unprofessional.)

But that makes sense in real life logic doesn't it? If I was unprofessional and the coach/manager hit me about a mistake I made I would have a negative reaction, probably get all defensive etc. On the flip side if I was a model professional I would take it on the chin and use it as motivation to make amends.

I only recruit players with specific personalities. Makes team-talks simple. I perpetually get green responses, motivated and happy players, and never see nervous or such in body-language.

Archived