[FM14] Oliver Jensen's Nomadic Career Thread

fmFutbolManager

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the league it's getting easy, but I'd like to setup Monaco for the future. They've always spent heavily, more so when I arrived so I've setup the facilities here to be the best they can be and recruited some excellent young talent.

My objectives are to provide them with an excellent youth system, some excellent youth prospects to make them competitive using their own youth products. I'd also like to do well in the Champions League and increase their reputation.

This will take a couple of years I think so will try turn this thread around to show that side of the journey.

October 2021 | AS Monaco FC monthly review

fiOhx0R.png

Results | Ligue 1 Orange

gJVAQF7.png

More impressive results in the league.

Valenciennes are newly promoted this season and unfortunately for them we were too strong. Lamela firing a double and Michelena scoring again to keep up his impressive early season form. Against Toulouse we weren't at our best. We were matched all the way and in fairness a draw was the right result. The final two games of the month at home to Saint-Etienne and Bastia were simple enough. Michelena again scoring in both games. He now has 9 goals in 11 and is emerging as our most influential player.

Top of the league but PSG hanging on. It won't be as simple this time around so we will have to keep our form up.

tiIpris.png

Results | Champions League Group Stages

1eQY03C.png

Another fantastic result. This time at the expense of Shakhtar. Michelena getting a dole with new boy Gutiérrez adding more to his impressive tally. 4 in 4 for the 19 year old.

Top and looking comfortable.

1Z1PnpE.png

Managers thoughts...

Another fantastic month for us and we're going from strength to strength. We remain unbeaten in all competitions and looking good.

Fixtures for next month.

CNW7fVP.png

That's all for now. Thanks for reading.

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

October 2021 | France monthly review

V5Ksfty.png

Results | UEFA World Cup Qualifiers

IqSmNZA.png

Having already qualified these results were not important but we still put out a strong enough side to win them both.

Against Finland we were excellent. A good 4-1 win and the goals all spread around. We dominated the game from start to finish and it's good to see the team playing the same way I play at Monaco, and despite the weaker players available we're getting good results. Against Czech Republic we weren't at our best. We mixed the squad up a bit but we should have won with the chances created.

We finished the group very comfortably and looking forward to the Qatar World Cup.

UgJ9Q0X.png

Managers thoughts...

Qualification finished. Delighted to have done it with 2 games to spare.

Fixtures for next month.

wcYu1Mt.png

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

It wasn't that hard with all the money available. It was a good step up from Anderlecht and if I can increase the club reputation and maybe have a good shot at the Champions League I'll be happy.

Unfortunately it's a weak league and doesn't have the gravitas of Spain or England. I'll do my best here, setup the club with their youth system and then look for something challenging afterwards.

November 2021 | AS Monaco FC monthly review

fiOhx0R.png

Results | Ligue 1 Orange

EJ0XgDE.png

And again, another fantastic month. Moral is high and the form is excellent.

The start wasn't what we hoped for a 0-0 with Stade de Rennais. Despite the dominance we only managed one shot on target all game, so the draw was probably the right result. No such problems against Auxerre, although we did leave it until the 59th minute to get our first, Nagae slotted home after Rafael had run from his own penalty box to their byline with the ball. Malliaritsis scored the second form a corner before Lamela wrapped up the points. We then had a tough game against PSG, and it was no other than in form Michelena who got the only goal and the winner on 59 after some great build up play. We rounded off the month with a good 2-0 against LOSC. Greizmann and Hironaga getting the goals.

The win over PSG gives us a six point cushion at the top of the league as we approach the half way stage.

H65RAq0.png

yvviPfu.png

We remain at the top of the group, just. A good solid win against Shakhtar away. Pogba just loves a goal at the moment, he now has 10 in 16 starts and showing just why he commanded such a huge fee. We matched Bayern all the way at the Allianz-Arena but we couldn't break through. The didn't have trouble and got their early goal on 5 minutes and defended their lead very well.

Top and we go into the final game needing just a win to top the group.

R1bZPFh.png

Managers thoughts...

More fantastic results in the league. Really feel like we can do something in the Champions League this season. If we can stay free of injury and avoid some of the big teams in the early knock-out rounds I'm hoping we can have a good run.

Fixtures for next month.

Q3wWMSI.png

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

November 2021 | France monthly review

V5Ksfty.png

Results | Friendlies

EjRvIpF.png

Just a quick update. We played a couple of friendlies, we managed to come away from them with a win in each... JUST. A thrilling game against Chile saw us drop our lead three times before we eventually won. Isaac Sanchez (click for screen shot), a player I've chased for Monaco all summer scoring two of the goals for Chile showing that perhaps I should have upped my upper limit for him. Less entertaining against Morocco. A simple 1-0 win keeping moral and belief high.

Managers thoughts...

These games have shown how vulnerable we are when we don't have our top players available. The World Cup is going to be tough for us since we've not produced any top taken for a while

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

A month in the league that I will always enjoy - no goals conceded! Really starting to extend that lead now.

Terrific win away at Shakhtar as it's always a tough place to go. Unlucky in Germany as it sounds a very even game, but I reckon you should take top spot in the group in your final game against Zenit.

Solid enough wins with France, though the Chile one looks a bit worrying.

It's always nice going a month without conceding. I hadn't actually noticed until you pointed it out.

Looking at the other groups I don't think it matters whether we take top spot this year as there are some strong teams currently in second place: Athletico, Man United, Dortmund, Real Madrid and Man City. It might be better to try finish in second place...

France is going along well. I didn't have all the players as managers put restrictions on some and had a couple recalled. The squad is really weak too so not expecting too much going into the World Cup. There has been a real lack of domestic player development here.

December 2021 | AS Monaco FC monthly review

fiOhx0R.png

Results | Ligue 1 Orange

z6uS5nE.png

Another unbeaten month and we've broken the league record with 33 unbeaten games in Ligue 1.

We started the month—again—with a draw. This time 1-1 away to OM, which wasn't a bad result for us. We again went a goal down early on, only for an aggressive half time team talk to get us firing in the second half. A rare Mboup goal. Quite what my Anchor was doing that far up the pitch I don't know, but he rescued a point for us. Next came a difficult game against Tours FC. We went a goal down again, and it was looking like we would lose our first league game of the season, but for the 80th minute substitute Nagae coming on and rescuing the game in with 10 minutes go to. We didn't have as much trouble against AC Ajaccio as we notched four goals in a great win, young left-back Sopha getting two goals. We finished the month against Stade Malherbe and yet again went a goal down. The ever excellent Michelena got one back before half time. Another aggressive talk and we came out firing to win 4-1 which didn't reflect how bad we were.

Top by 8 points and looking good for the league again.

Pm57jMX.png

Results | Coupe de la Ligue Fourth Round

NIIWiHG.png

A comfortable win over Valenciennes despite the scoreline suggesting otherwise. However, we could only dispatch two of our twenty-four shots, whereas they scored one of their three. Despite playing the fringe players it was a good performance and the result sees us through.

Yes again we face PSG in a quarter final. The third time in two years.

8G0O9pn.png

A good solid performance in a game we were expected to win. Hironaga returning to full fitness and showing why he is highly regarded in his position. Him and Pogba must be one of the best CM partnerships in the world. No need to mention who got the other goal. Michelena has been incredible. His total now 13 in 20.

Top of the group going into the draw.

aIxaCPG.png

Up next the draw was kind, we face Feyenoord.

Managers thoughts...

Another great month. Attention turns to youth development now I'm satisfied with the first team. We have built an excellent squad capable of honours but we have very few home grown players and even less French players. The plan now is to concentrate more on the youth setup and start to improve our players better to reduce the spending required.

Huge investments have been made to the training facilities and hopefully the rewards should start showing through soon. I'll update on the youth side of things at the end of the season.

Fixtures for next month.

8nh9oLY.png

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

January 2022 | AS Monaco FC monthly review

fiOhx0R.png

Results | Ligue 1 Orange

62mbtKR.png

Another unbeaten month and the unbeaten record in the league stretches further.

Another month starting with a draw, this time 0-0 against FC Lorient. To be fair we weren't at our best as we played a weakened side, so we didn't deserve to take the points. We were much better against Lyon with a full squad and came out 3-0 victors, Nagae getting a brace. The final league game of the month was a lucky 2-1 win against Bordeaux. We fell behind on 3 minutes, but were quickly level on 12 when Falcao scored on a rare appearance. Oxlade-Chamberlain got the winner on 83 minutes.

We stretch our lead to 9 points.

lNnyQS1.png

Results | Coupe de la Ligue Quarter Final

s99OCmc.png

A tough game against PSG, but again we come out on top. It was a tight affair with both teams having plenty of chances to score, which makes it even more impressive that it was a defender that gave us the win, Filip Gremalijavic scoring against his old employers.

AS Saint-Etienne up in the semi final.

Results | Coupe de France 9th & 10th Round

A5KXrd9.png

Two excellent games in the cup. AC Ajaccio usually give us a good game, but they were powerless to stop us. a comfortable 3-0 win with the goals coming from all over, Michelena scoring again, Pogba from the spot and Nistal. SC Bastia were rolled over pretty easily, Nagae getting an excellent hat trick, with the other goals from Hironaga, Gamelijevic and Nistal (again!).

Up next a comfortable match way to CS Louhans-Cuiseaux.

Managers thoughts...

No new faces in, but we let Djordjevic go as he wanted more football from us but with the form of Nagae we couldn't guarantee it. We managed to get €32m in the end from Napoli which will force me to give some of the younger players a go, which is what my next goal is all about — creating a youthful team that can develop and grow together.

Fixtures for next month.

paZUYYV.png

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

A really healthy lead to have at this stage of the season. Looks more and more like you'll win the title again.

Outstanding to win at PSG in the Coupe de la Ligue, and a couple of cracking wins in the Coupe de France. You're looking good for a domestic treble the way you're going right now. :thup:

A really healthy lead to have at this stage of the season. Looks more and more like you'll win the title again.

Outstanding to win at PSG in the Coupe de la Ligue, and a couple of cracking wins in the Coupe de France. You're looking good for a domestic treble the way you're going right now. :thup:

It's looking that way. The challenge isn't really there at the moment which is disappointing. I had wanted to stay on to grow the youth team here, but I'm not sure the French league can hold my interest for much longer.

The game is almost telegraphic by now, you seem to dispatch everyone so easily. What happened against Bayern, btw?

Bayern was just a case of who could find the important goal. We matched them all that way in terms of possession and shots but we just couldn't score. I wasn't too worried as we played really well.

February 2022 | AS Monaco FC monthly review

fiOhx0R.png

Results | Ligue 1 Orange

VYCCEKT.png

A perfect month.

We started very well against Stade de Reims with Gemaljevic getting his 5th of the season from a corner. Lamela sealing the points on 65 minutes. La Berrichonne up next and a comfortable 3-0 win with Nagae continuing his very impressive form. Valeciennes matched us but couldn't break our defence. Michelena and Nistal on the scoresheet. Final league game of the season was a comfortable 4-0 victory over Toulouse. Hironaga getting back amongst the goals, as Nagae scoring again as he keeps on doing.

PSG have slipped up a lot this month which has allowed us to extend our lead at the top to 15 points.

HnGmk9G.png

Results | Coupe de la Ligue semi final

VEcGavg.png

A routine 2-0 win against AS Saint-Etienne to book our place in the final. It was all one sided, with us managing to protect our goal and restrict any shots on target. We weren't at our best at the other end, but Nagae and Lamela were on form to put us through.

Stade Rennais up in the final.

Results | Coupe de France 11th Round

2weuAJ8.png

A really good win with a second string side. Daniel Gutierrez getting us off to a good start on 9 minutes. Oxlade-Chamberlain getting what is a rare goal for him this season. We then introduced Falcao to the game and he popped up and got on the scoresheet before Witsel made up for an earlier penalty miss by slotting home on 86 to finish the rout.

Stade de Reims up next in the quarter final.

Results | Champions League 1st knockout round leg 1

nBbtcbG.png

An excellent win away against Feyenoord in very difficult conditions. It was close to freezing and hailing so it didn't go well with our game, but we got an early goal on 26 minutes through Gutierrez.Feyenoord came back two minutes later. However, we battled hard an in the second half Gutierrez got another two goals to complete his hat trick.

Managers thoughts...

Nagae has been in fantastic form again, and unfortunately for us the big clubs are circling him now. Hopefully we can fight them off and keep hold of him. Lamela is also showing excellent form. Our performances have been excellent, the defenders are looking impenetrable, the midfield is working excellent going both forwards and back and Nagae is on fire.

Fixtures for next month.

ChBWzrP.png

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

It's not as easy as the results show. We've had to battle hard and fortunately Nagae has been on fire. We almost threw a few games away, but so far very pleased. Too early to talk about an unbeaten season in the league, but it's possible.

Aim is really to progress in the Champions League so hopefully we can keep the lead in the league and then work out how to get past the big guns in Europe.

March 2022 | AS Monaco FC monthly review

fiOhx0R.png

Results | Ligue 1 Orange

VV17ZXY.png

Another undefeated month in the league.

We started with a great victory over Saint-Etienne. Rafael playing a lovely through-ball for Lamela to slot home the first on 5 minutes. The second on 39 minutes came after Rafael cross which the Saint-Erienne keeper could only push it into the path of Michelena to tap over the line. We managed to keep it tight in the second half to secure the points. AJ Auxerre was a difficult match for us. They missed a penalty on 32 minutes. Later on 42 minutes a run down the left wing by Nagae draw two defenders out of position, he passed inside to Griezmann to cross for a simple header at the back post for Oxlade-Chamberlain. Unfortunately we couldn't hold the lead and they equalised from a corner on 61 and that was the last goal of the game. And finally we put 4 past SC Bastia, in a match which saw 3 OGs. Our first came after an excellent run down the right by Oxlade-Chamberlain. He took on a couple of players before smashing a shot onto the post which came back out and went in off the goalkeeper. Our second came after a great cross by LB Sopha was only half cleared and Praet scored on the half-volley in a rare start for him. Bastia pulled one back from a corner before a long run by Michelena and excellent cross caused confusion in the Bastia box and their defender slid it into his own net. The final goal came after a superb through-ball from anchorman Mboup found Oxlade-Chamberlain who cooly slotted the ball past the onrushing keeper.

16 points clear at the top and the league almost guaranteed.

0V2etqI.png

Results | Coupe de France 11th Round

yDNSobv.png

What a game. We were 2-0 down after 13 minutes after some dreadful defending. Our heads were not in the game at all. We switched strategy and quickly pulled it back to 2-2 with Nagae heading home a Rafael cross. Gutierrez got the second blasting from outside the area into the top corner. We then went behind again after a poor long shot took a deflection in 3-2 on 45+1 but Pogba cooly played in Gutierrez for his second on 45+2 to make it 3-3 at half time. The second half was completely dominated by us, and we got the decisive goal on 84 minutes when Negae tapped in a spilled Oxlade-Chamberlain shot.

Stade Malherbe up next in the semi final.

Results | Champions League 1st knockout round leg 2 and quarter final leg 1

ugLquuA.png

Feyenoord was a comfortable game. We rested a few players and managed to secure a 1-0 victory, with Paul Pogba getting himself on the scoresheet.

The next round saw us take on Manchester City. The first leg away at the Etihad. Things didn't start well when Romão scored on the half-hour mark to put the home side in the lead. However, we decided to be a bit braver and switched strategy which saw us equalise on half-time: Nagae slotting home the goal after great play by Gutierrez. Hironaga then put us in front after a great cross by Nagae found him at the back post. It didn't last though as City equalised on 76 through Romão again. However, we take a great advantage into the second leg thanks to a terrific half-volley from Oxlade-Chamberlain on 82 minutes.

We take a good advantage back with us.

Managers thoughts...

A brilliant month again and confidence is very high. We're in a good position to sweep up, but one wrong result could end that for us so we need to keep going and doing what is working for us. Gutierrez is excelling ahead of schedule. I didn't expect him to break into the team until next season, but 20 year old has already contributed 10 goals this season. If he keeps this up then the front three of him, Nagae and Lamela next season will be frightening.

Fixtures for next month.

zvzl7eO.png

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

A unbeaten Ligue 1 season is edging closer and closer. Good couple of away wins to make up for the home draw with Auxerre. :thup:

You just about did the business against Reims in the Coupe de France quarter finals, but my, my they gave you a fright in the first half!! Well done in the Champions League against Feyenoord over two legs, and a cracking win over Man City in the first leg of the quarter finals.

The quadruple is looking possible. #DareToDream

A unbeaten Ligue 1 season is edging closer and closer. Good couple of away wins to make up for the home draw with Auxerre. :thup:

You just about did the business against Reims in the Coupe de France quarter finals, but my, my they gave you a fright in the first half!! Well done in the Champions League against Feyenoord over two legs, and a cracking win over Man City in the first leg of the quarter finals.

The quadruple is looking possible. #DareToDream

I've tried not to think about it but with just 5 games to go I could be set for my first unbeaten season. We still have PSG and OM so it's not going to be easy.

We may have to sacrifice the unbeaten season in favour of the Champions League and other cup competitions now.

The quadruple is looking possible. I should #DareTo Dream. Want to loan me Joao?

fiOhx0R.png

VPfbr7e.png

Coupe de la Ligue Final | How we got to the final

TK9ogWs.png

As with this competition it was a short route to the final. But that doesn't mean it was easy. Valenciennes FC put up a good fight but we dominated them in terms of shots. We managed to get into a good 2-0 lead to calm nerves. They pulled one back on 35 minutes but the games ended 2-1. We met PSG in yet another quarter final, which was understandably even. Both sides were going for the win but luckily it was us that found the breakthrough on the hour mark and kept the lead to secure our passage to the semis where we met Saint-Etienne. Lamela and Nagae were on form and secure our place in the final.

The Final | vs Stade Rennais FC

We had an almost full strength squad which made it hard to pick the team. So many good performances warranted a place. ter Stegen was a given in goal. Rafael and Alonso, my two full-backs injured so Assandri and Sopha came in. Nistal and Malliaritsis starred in the central positions. Mboup earned his place as anchor ahead of Leko due to his recent form. Pogba and Hironaga needed no explanation in the central positions. My two wingers Lamela and Gutierrez who are both on fire with Nagae leading the line.

vrFJN97.png

(click for screenshot)

Starting Formations | Match Stats | AS Monaco Player Stats

It was a fantastic match, and one that we dominated right form the off. The only thing stopping us was the superb form of Costil in goal for Stade Rennais FC. First half ended 0-0 despite having plenty of chances to finish off the game. A calm talk at half time reminded the players they were favourites and the result would come, just keep calm. We started the second half like we did the first and were dominant throughout. We finally made the break through on 77 minutes when a finely worked corner found Pogba on the edge of the area who rolled the ball to his side for Hironaga to smash in from outside the area. Michelena then found himself in space, found by Hironaga, he slotted past the keeper for 2-0 and the win.

A brilliant result and one we fully deserved.

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

fiOhx0R.png

kowTG7J.png

Coupe de France Final | How we got to the final

k2vThAV.png

We had to overcome some tough games to get to the final, including a run of four away games sandwiched between two home games. We scored a lot of goals en route and rarely looked like we would lose with the exception to the Stade de Reims who put the frights up us a couple of times. However, we stood strong and eventually dispatched of them.

The Final | vs Stade Rennais FC

As with the Coupe de la Ligue we had a good compliment of players to chose from, Rafael and Alonso both absent so Assandri and Sopha took up the full back positions. Malliaritsis and Nistal at centre back. Mboup sat in front in the anchor position protecting them with the free-moving Hironaga and Pogba just ahead. Lamela and Gutierrez out on the flanks with Nagae leading the line again. It was a strong team that should win comfortably.

M0rvKBe.png

(click for screenshot)

Starting Formations | Match Stats | AS Monaco Player Stats

Another cup final that we dominated, but boy did we make hard work of it. We got off to a perfect start when Malliaritsis scored from a corner. We were pegged back eight minutes later, Assandri putting the ball into his own net. We then huffed and puffed but couldn't find the breakthrough in the first half, 0-0 at half-time. Second half was much of the same, more brilliant work, but we struggled to break them down, until the 54th minute when Nagae shot powerfully to beat the keeper and put us back in the lead. Without a shot on target all game we were rarely looking like we could concede, but we had to be wary of that and as a result I was reluctant to make too many changes during the game. We managed to hold on for the win to complete the quadruple.

Another brilliant result and another one we fully deserved.

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

April 2022 | AS Monaco FC monthly review

fiOhx0R.png

Results | Ligue 1 Orange

v2GuBVm.png

A great month in the league and we're just two away from an undefeated season.

Victory over Stade Rennais Was made easy thanks to a quick fire double by Michelena and Nagae. We came out at half time and Nastasic fired us into a 3-0 lead. We conceded on 64 minutes but it didn't affect us and we collected the points. PSG next and an early wonder strike by Nagae was enough. In fairness we couldn't have complained if we lost 5-0 as we were completely outplayed. We managed just four shots all game and only one shot on target all game to their twenty-seven attempts. Whilst we only had 40% of the possession we got what was important, a goal. As we juggled the squad to try compete on all four fronts we had some scares. LOSC came close. Hironaga giving us the lead on 55 minutes, darting past 3 players on the end of the box before placing a shot into the bottom corner. We were pegged back on 57 as LOSC gained confidence but Malliaritsis got the winner from a corner on 72 which was enough to win the game. Finally we travelled to Stade de La Mosson Montpellier. Michelena grabbing two goals before they fought back and levelled at 2-2 but in true Monaco 'never say die' fashion we managed to get the all important winner on 89 when Nagae when on a mazy run and finished with a cool head.

The league is won for a third time in a row. 22 points clear of second place PSG. Now we go for record points and an undefeated season with just two to play.

FHfJAah.png

Results | Coupe de France Semi Final and Final

cu3mk5I.png

We fully deserved our place in the final after the 5-1 destruction away to Stade Malherbe Caen. Nagae scored an excellent hat trick to continue his impressive haul this season. Lamela got the early goal. One was pulled back on 78 minutes but Hironaga completed the scoring to book our place in the final. Against AJ Auxerre we were at our very best, but we struggled to beet their keeper. We had managed to go a goal ahead in the first minute through Malliaritsis. Despite the dominance we were level at 1-1 through an equaliser on 9 minutes and it wasn't until the 54th minute that we grabbed our second and final goal to win the cup.

Results | Coupe de la Ligue Final

vZvy9rj.png

Stade Rennais played poorly in this match and never really gave us a scare despite holding on until the 77th minute they didn't manage a shot on target all game. In fact they only managed one wild long shot all game, but they made us wait for our goals. Hironaga and Michelena scoring late to secure the quadruple.

Results | Champions League Quarter Final Leg 2

5Y5vq9Z.png

Very disappointed to have gone out in the way that we did. We were very poor in the opening 20 minutes and I take full blame for that. I started with the wring strategy and it invited a dangerous team onto us. They were 2-0 up inside 15 minutes. We had plenty of time to turn it around though and we tried but we just couldn't get the decisive goal that would have sent us through on goal difference.

I take the blame for this one.

Managers thoughts...

A fantastic season. We still have two games to go but the quadruple is complete (if you include the Trophée des Champions). We look very set to complete an unbeaten season too. I'd had thoughts about moving on this summer if the right clubs comes along but the defeat to Man City in the Champions League makes me feel like I have some unfinished business here. We will see if there are any offered coming over the summer, but I have some thinking to do.

Fixtures for next month.

3iPU39O.png

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

Good job on winning the cups and edging closer towards an unbeaten season in France! Shame about CL but you can't win them all, I'm afraid.

Thank you. It hasn't been as easy as it looks but delighted with where we are. Champions league is a goal next season for sure.

The domestic treble. Marvellous achievement. :cool: Unlucky in the Champions League, but Manchester City are a bit of a machine I guess.

They were very good in the second leg. Too strong for us. I think we matched them in terms of man for man but they were better tactically. We weren't prepared. I need to come up with something, a plan C perhaps for these scenarios. We are vulnerable against narrow sides like City so need to work out how to stop them.

Two games left of the season then off to the World Cup with France.

May 2022 | AS Monaco FC monthly review

fiOhx0R.png

Results | Ligue 1 Orange

X93aqOH.png

An unbeaten season, my first .An excellent achievement and I'm so proud of the team.

We had two tricky games to end the season with. OM put up a good fight: Lamela got a great goal on 49 minutes. However, a lapse of concentration at a corner let them equalise on 94 minutes. Against ESTAC Troyes it was the same story. We were cruising to a 1-0 win with Lamela again finding the net. We were looking at a 100 point season until the 93rd minute, again from a corner. Disappointed, but it cannot detract from a fantastic season.

Top, by some distance.

RwtLLQy.png

Managers thoughts...

A brilliant season. I didn't think we would do as well as we have. I will look to rebuild in some key areas if we can get some good deals done to allow us to challenge better in the Champions League. I will try a few tweaks to our setup to see if we can get a bit more solid at the back for the harder games.

Season reviews coming up.

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

May 2022 | France monthly review

V5Ksfty.png

Results | Friendlies

XgPkgaW.png

A quick update. A couple of friendlies. Nothing to report on as these are purely to get the familiarity with the formations up as high as I can before the World Cup starts. We have a couple more than then we're off to Qatar.

Managers thoughts...

We have a couple of key injuries, Kondogbia and Varane both miss the World Cup. We're light on good players so it'll be tough, anything further than the group stages will be a good result to us.

Fixtures for next month.

qItYBmL.png

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

Cheers Tom.

Just started the World Cup now. Getting offers all over the place for most of my world class players so trying to fend them off whilst preparing for it. Also have the Juventus interview. Still waiting to hear about that one so lots going on!

End of Season Review 2021/22 | AS Monaco FC Annual review

fiOhx0R.png

Review | Trophée des Champions | Winners

Board expectation: Not important

Not an important match, but good to get the season underway with a win. As with the previous seasons it took a penalty shootout to win the game. A 0-0 draw against Stade de Reims.

Review | Ligue 1 Orange | Winners

Board expectation: Win the league

Brilliant unbeaten season in the league. We were excellent all season and fully deserved to win it in the style that we did. We finished the season 20 points ahead of PSG, so a point better than the season before. PSG had dominated the League for the past 7 seasons before I came so to knock them off their perch has been brilliant. I also have a personal battle with Laurent Blanc over manager points. I've just overtaken him now so pleased with that, too.

1EFtsGy.png

Review | Coupe de France | Winners

Board expectation: Win the cup

Brilliant results in the main cup competition. We had a relatively simple route to the final, facing AJ Auxerre and overcoming them in a 2-1 victory

Review | Coupe de la Ligue | Winners

Board expectation: Not important

Not an important cup, but we did well to win it as we played a lot of young players and reserves to get to the final. We beat Stade Rennais 2-0 to claim another trophy.

Review | Champions League | Quarter Final

Board expectation: Reach the semi final

A brilliant season in the Champions League. The highlight being a 4-0 win over Bayern Munich in the group stages. We were eventually knocked out against Man City, we did well to win the first game 3-2 but it was the late goal we conceded that sent us out as we lost 2-0 in the return leg at home. City have just beat us to two signings this summer so they're going to be tough to beat in the cup this season.

Managers top player

Kazuki Nagae (click for screenshot)

Brilliant season. It's no wonder the top teams in Europe are bidding for him this summer. He scored 34 goals in 35 games last season to help us to win the league and cups. He's been sensational and our most influential player at the moment. If we can keep him for another season it'll be great.

Managers most improved player

Miguel Angel Michelena (click for screenshot)

A fantastic first full season for Michelena. I was worried when we sold Victor that Michelena might not be able to make the step up, but he has excelled. He scored 20 goals in 38 games with 11 assists. He was instrumental alongside Lamela on the other wing.

What's Next...

New season review coming soon...

Thanks for reading.

A check on my previous clubs.

(note: my reign started above the green line and ended below the red line)

Olhanense

oBBBBhc.png

Olhanense finished well last season. 5th place in the league was strong. They failed to get through the qualifiers for the Champions League. They were poor in the Europa League having qualified for the group stages and failed to get out of the group stages. Knocked out of the Taca de Liga group and Taca de Portugal 5th round.

Anderlecht

p7kcMrM.png

Finished in a disappointing 4th place. The won the Cofidis Cup, and failed to get out of the Group stages of the Europa League. Francky Dury (manager) retired so they're currently looking for a new manager. Hopefully someone strong will come in and return them to their former glory.

Qatar World Cup 2022 | France monthly review

V5Ksfty.png

Results | Group Stages

GSuccK5.png

Brilliant performances in the group games. We might not have scored as many goals as we should have but we were creating enough chances whilst limiting the opposition. Australia were no trouble, but we struggled to put the ball into the back of the net, missing a large number of chances, but it was Thauvin who got the important goal just after the break. Up next, Peru. Sylva got his first for France, a poachers goal inside the 6 yard box. Midfielder Miath added to the scoreline on 54 as it finished 2-0 and to qualify from the group with a game to spare. Italy came next, and we easily came away with a 3-0 win this time with goals from M'Vila, a penalty slotted home by Benzia and an own goal by Monaco centre back Rugani.

Qualification made to look easy.

7eqI9EE.png

Results | Second Round

cNZGe7V.png

Absolutely devastated. We dominated the game from start to finish. We had chances in abundance. It started so well when young Adam gave us the lead on 41 minutes with a thunderous strike from 30 yards. We piled on the pressure, but couldn't get a second. Scotland equalised from a corner on 49 but we had so many more chances to win the game but didn't take any of them and the game went into extra time.

We hit the post and the crossbar as we looked for the winner and as we edged closer to penalties I knew we were heading out. We have a poor group when it comes to spot kicks. I was proved right, we were defeated 5-4 on penalties to go crashing out in the second round to the weakest team still in the competition.

Managers thoughts...

We were so good in the group games, but the Scottish keeper had the game of his life to win his team a place in the next round. I've not been sacked, but my resignation letter has been written...

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

It was tough. The French national side has deteriorated and with the exception to Benzia and Pogba I really didn't have any strong players in the side. But I still should have beaten Scotland.

I've been sacked, I was going to walk anyway but deserved losing the job in the way I did for our performance.

Season Review 2022/23 | AS Monaco FC Season preview

fiOhx0R.png

Board Expectations | My Expectations

Ligue 1 Orange: Win the league | Win the league

UEFA Champions League: Reach semi-final | Reach final

Coupe de France: Win the cup | Win the cup

Coupe de Ligue: Not important | Win the cup

Trophée des Champions: Not important | Win the cup

We won the league very comfortably last season. Our aim has to be to win it again. I want a better showing in the Champions League. I'm a player or two short of that given the max exodus this summer. We only have 3 recognised central midfielders for a start. I think we have to do well in the domestic cups but the Europe will dominate our priorities. Additionally, Nagae wants to move on but I've promised him we will win the Champions League, so no pressure there. Either way I think at least one of us will be leaving the club at the end of the season

Finances

Transfer budget: €148,000,000

Wage budget: €4,410,000 (currently spending €3,471,140)

Bank balance: €174,202,100

Another fantastic budget helped by the continued increasing sponsorship. We lost €700k off the wage budget with the likes of Falcao, Moutinho and Griezmann leaving, but we've increased spending on youth contracts, signing several young players onto long term deals.

What's Next...

A few friendlies as it's World Cup year so don't want to tire them out too soon. Maybe one or two transfers if we can get people in for the right price. We need a couple of central midfielders perhaps and a goalkeeper as ted Stegen has just got injured for 4 months which leaves us without a recognised replacement other than 36 year old Muslera.

Thanks for reading.

That it is. Copy and paste error ;)

Budget is good again but I cannot get any of the players I've wanted. City have beaten me to three signings and then to make matters worse they bid for Nagae and he's now unhappy because I rejected their bid.

July 2022 | AS Monaco FC monthly review

fiOhx0R.png

Results | Friendlies

rJJkK46.png

Due to the World Cup we only had a couple of friendlies. Usually I don't worry about the result so much as it's more of a training exercise, however, we were poor in most of the games. Conceding chances, not creating many and losing the possession battle. We did play a lot of the under 19s, however, we still had enough first team players to have finished the games on top.

I've struggled to sign any of my priority targets. Man City beat us to three of them. As a result we are short going into the season unless we can make some moves soon. I'm a central midfielder short. I had to sign a keeper as ted Stegen got injured for 4 months.

Here's hoping we start the season better.

Results | Trophée des Champions

7q8SyEj.png

A disappointing result. It's not a priority to win the game, but it was a good chance to benchmark ourselves against PSG. We were dominant but couldn't get the breakthrough. We were 1-0 down on six minutes through a scrappy goal. A corner came in and was twice half cleared before PSG eventually put it in the net. We then gave away a stupid free-kick just on half-time and Verratti scored it. Second half we were a man down when Assandri got sent off and we just couldn't get a goal. Disappointing, but not the end of the world.

Transfers Out

A few changes. A few large contracts ended so it makes our financial position stronger.

e1uCSjW.png

Transfers In

None of my priority targets were secured. We are short going into the season but I have made a couple of squad signings. A left back and a keeper. The others are younger players to come into the youth team.

asl33mT.png

A look at some of the players.

(click names for screenshot)

Stefan Zivanovic - A backup goalkeeper that will be thrown into the deep end as he starts the first four months.

Tommaso Moretti - Technically poor, but there's room for development. Struggled to get anyone to backup the position, and my scouts recommended him so took their advice and signed him.

Managers thoughts...

Indifferent feelings going into the season. Failed at the Juventus interview and awaiting to hear back on Sevilla. It's unlikely that I'll leave now unless Sevilla offer me the role, so I will work with what I have. A few players are unhappy after I told City I wanted €120m for Nagae — they all think he's been mistreated now so I need to restore the harmony in the squad.

Whatever happens I get the feeling this season is going to be an interesting one. We have a good start to the season in terms of the teams we have to play so hopefully it'll improve the moral a little

Fixtures for next month.

X57fIsW.png

Oliver Jensen

@FMFutbolManager

Archived