FM2008 - Arsenal FC. mo money, no problems edition.

hughsieb

I've got Fred and Barzagli. I'm also buying Kerlon and Lulinha, one of them for £2.6M and the other for £2.9M.

Any tips on who to look for now? I was thinking of Javi Martinez or Lucho Gonzalez. I'm deciding on whether to play 4-2-2-2 or 4-3-3. If I play 4-3-3 then I'll need another midfielder to go with Fabregas and Denilson.

I've just started the season so minus Gilberto, and add Fred, Barzagli, Kerlon and Lulinha, I've got the standard team.

How much should I sell Diaby for as well, thanks?

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought Pandev for about £11m, but he hasn't been playing that well so far. His stats are fantastic, though. Anyone else have him for Arsenal?

In one game (I started over) I bought Per Mertesacker to cover defence, and he was fantastic. Gace Arsenal the height they're missing in the back, and an added threat on set pieces. Too expensive in my second game - bought Kompany instead.

Arsenal starts with an extraordinary base, and their strength is the fact that you can put a team together which will last pretty much the same team for a huge amount of time, they go from strength to strength.

I like to shake things up a bit, and being a bit crazy, I have a second profile where I'm taking it slowly and building the original Arsenal squad in Wenger style, and my other one which I go mad to make it as good as possible.

In the insane profile, I started by trimming the squad down a lot, and sold a lot of players very very cheap, so don't scold me:

Senderos, 6m

Flamini, 1.4m

Almunia, 1.4m

Adebayor, 8.25m

Rosicky, 9m

Eboue, 4.5m

Clichy, 4.5m

van Persie, 9m

Song, 3m

Total In: 47m

You'd think with the huge number of sales, that I'd have bought about 5 players... I bought two

Silva, 38.5m

Aguero, 30m

It was a team which, when injured would be really low in some areas, and even in my second and third seasons I've had some nasty injury crises, but I've worked through them.

The first season went amazingly, and with three games to go, I had 9 points ahead of second place Chelsea. Silva and Aguero fitted in perfectly, Aguero is one of the best strikers on the game as many know, and Silva is extraordinary too, together they make a goal machine.

I played a 4-2-0-2-2 formation.

Sagna - Toure - Gallas - Traore

Fabregas - Gilberto

Hleb - Silva

Aguero - Eduardo

(Fabregas makes run to central midfield in attack, he is there to give a bit of extra defensive power).

I totally messed up in both of the cups, losing both before I even got close to a final round. The Champions League I won my group, and had easy knockout rounds til semi final. Sporting, Ajax, then Chelsea, which I won 5-2 (they seemed to have lost morale after I thrashed them 6-1 the previous week in the league), then played inter in the final, and scraped a 5-4 loss, though I deserved a lot worse.

My side was close to IT. A team good enough to do it all. I released Lehmann the second season, and brought in Sebastien Frey for 32.5 million.

I had a lot of injury woes in the defence (My fault, I should have got some back up players and I didn't.) However, mainly because of Frey playing very well, I won the league again... On goal difference. Though it was no where near as good as the time before, I felt the team had improved a lot.

The Champions League was the mega thing for me this time. I won the group with a 10 point gap, against Spartak, Osasuna and Benfica, a very easy group.

Playoff 1 was against Werder Bremen, and I beat them 6-2. I drew Barcelona in the next round.

It was possibly the most scary match I'd have for a long time. First game 1-1, second game was 1-0 to them, 90th minute, penalty.... Goal! The commentary went insane at that point. Extra time... Scored again through Aguero. Miracle.

Thanks to the away goal rule, they'd have needed two goals in extra time to save themselves. They got neither.

Incredibly, the other fixtures went like this

<STRIKE>Celtic</STRIKE> Portsmouth

<STRIKE>united</STRIKE> Zaragoza

<STRIKE>Chelsea</STRIKE> Porto

Beat Portsmouth in the semis, then Zaragoza in the final. Surprisingly close games, thanks to Traore and Fabregas getting suspended, and me having only Pedro as back up for LB... not great but I scraped through on penalties.

I sold Aliaksandr Hleb and bought in Kaka for the start of the next season.

The strength of my team now is that, bar Gallas, I can stick with this team for the next 3 or 4 years without needing to change anything, I can't envisage wishing to change any of my main players, and it is a simple machine at scoring. Silva, Kaka, Aguero, Eduardo, Fabregas for an attack... I'm going for all 4.

Great to hear your stories guys. Goodluck with the gooners!

FM08Arsenal.jpg

There's my team. We won our first game against Trottenham 1-0.

The reason Senderos and Almunia can't play for the next game is because I'm trying to sell them.

I had to cancel my Lulinha signing to get Javi Martinez, as well as having to adjust my budget. He looks very promising though.

Advice appreciated. I like the look of my 4-3-3 formation though.

I have finally finished my first season on the new patch. I had decent season although i was left disappointed by my teams inability to finish in some of the bigger games. However brilliant seasons from most of my players helped me to regain the title.

Competitions

The FA Cup

We had a good run going in the fa cup winning all our games comfartably. That was up until the sixth round. There we encountered a Middlesbrough side fired up and committed. At the riverside stadium at the end of an even game it finished 2-1 to Boro, Aliadiere grabbing both of their goals.

The Champions League

We played very well in the CL, the highlight being a 5-0 home trouncing of Liverpool in the quarter final. But we did not progress any further than the semi-final where Chelsea beat us 4-3 on agg despite us dominating both games we just couldnt put our chances away. This was one of my main worries throughout

The Carling Cup

I played my youngsters throughout the competition where i played mostly championship outfits. They were a doddle for the young guns. In the final we faced stiffer opposition in the shape of Chelsea. The yougsters passed the test with flying colours, beating Chelsea 3-1.

The Premiership

It was a see-saw all season in the Premier league. Our first half of the season ended with us lingering in fifth and 9 points behind leaders Liverpool. The second half of the season was a completely different story where we surged to the the title winning on goal difference. The final table:

premtableauvk6.th.jpg

Awards

English Footballer of the Year

1 - Matias Fernandez

Premier Divison Top Scorer

2 - Sergio Aguero

Players' Player of the Year

2 - Cesc Fabregas

3 - Robin Van Persie

Manager of the Year

1 - Louis Jackson

Players' Team of the Year

Gallas, Fernandez, Fabregas, Aguero, Van Persie

ECC Dream Team

Gilberto

The Team, Transfers and Next Season

Transfers:

boguuuuol5.th.jpg

Future Transfers

IN: John Fleck - Rangers - £2.5 Million

OUT: Vito Mannone - Bologna - Free

My Team:dateamlb0.th.jpg

dateamjpgpartdeuxth2.th.jpg

What I have learnt:

Finishing and composure dont always ensure goals - Despite all my strikers being high in both departments we squandered an ubelievable amount of chances, something needs to be done to ensure this doesnt happen again.

Bendtner is a beast - Very much the dark horse of the season, scoring 20 goals in 22 starts. He will get more playing time next season as i rotate my strikers

Briand is also a beast - I had never previously tried Jimmy Briand before thiss save, i was pleasantly surprised with the results. Bought in January, he scored 15 in 16 starts and will problably hit well over 30 next season. Look at him!:

jimmysl7.th.jpg

Looking Forward

On the transfer front, Lehmann and Almunia will leave on frees. I also intent to offload Diarra, Eduardo, Hoyte and Hleb. Maybe Gilberto if i find a sutiable replacement. I want to bring in a Back-up RB, a Back-up Attacking cm, A back-up Right winger, Two GK's and a back-up striker.

Here is my best XI

GK: Lehmann (leaving)

LB: Clichy

CB: Toure

CB: Gallas

RB: Sagna

LM: Fernandez

CM: Gilberto

CM: Cesc

RM: RVP

ST: Briand

ST: Aguero

Where can i improve? I do not currently know my budget for new season so any recommendations are welcome.

Originally posted by Candre168:

FM08Arsenal.jpg

The reason Senderos and Almunia can't play for the next game is because I'm trying to sell them.

I had to cancel my Lulinha signing to get Javi Martinez, as well as having to adjust my budget. He looks very promising though.

I like the look of oyur team, I suggest you buy a Left winger to start inseatd of Edu (get mati fernandez for 8 million) and another CB and you'll be set.

Ok end of transfer window. In addition to my signings a few posts above, I've decided to buy VDV. He was very unhappy at HSV as he missed out the Holland squad so I decided to resurrect his career! icon_smile.gif He'll probably be sold next season if anyone offers me a lot of money for him though. I dont really need him but he'll do until the youngsters are ready. Also, miracles or miracles, I managed to sell Hoyte!! Finally!! I really like him irl but he's not good in the game. Pretty good defensively I must admit, but rubbish at going forward. And I have Sagna who's first choice and Eboue who I want to give some games to so I can knock his price up. My long-term target Daniel Alves is pretty much set to come. He's VERY unhappy at Sevilla's decision to reject my offers and I'm he'll ask for a transfer soon. So I'll get him and let Eboue go. Then my back line is pretty much set for a long time.

My fowards are pretty much complete now with RVP, Aguero, Fred, Vela, Saivet, Bendtner and Henry for a few years. Might sell Fred (its either him or RVP and I love Robin even though Fred gets more goals!) in a couple years when Vela is ready. Only positions I need to fill are on the wings really. Long term targets are any two of Silva, Messi and Ronaldo. With those guys, I'm done with my squad for another 5-6 years! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, thought I'll give a little update. Not going to be playing the game until Wednesday as I have a big exam coming up :'( ! Damn it!!

Originally posted by louis118:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Candre168:

FM08Arsenal.jpg

I like the look of oyur team, I suggest you buy a Left winger to start inseatd of Edu (get mati fernandez for 8 million) and another CB and you'll be set. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have to sell someone to be able to afford a player worth £8M.

Who do you suggest I should sell?

I'd have to sell someone to be able to afford a player worth £8M.

Suggest you get rid of Hoyte, Song and Senderos. Sendero and Song should both fetch you atleast 8M each. Hoyte around 3-4M. So you'll have 20M in total out of these 3 minimum. Neither of them ever do quite make it. Senderos is brilliant in most places but too darned slow. Hoyte is good defensively but awful going forward. Certainly not better than Eboue and/or Sagna. Song - no comments!! icon_redface.gif

Originally posted by theincrediblehulk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd have to sell someone to be able to afford a player worth £8M.

Suggest you get rid of Hoyte, Song and Senderos. Sendero and Song should both fetch you atleast 8M each. Hoyte around 3-4M. So you'll have 20M in total out of these 3 minimum. Neither of them ever do quite make it. Senderos is brilliant in most places but too darned slow. Hoyte is good defensively but awful going forward. Certainly not better than Eboue and/or Sagna. Song - no comments!! icon_redface.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All clubs are willing to pay for Senderos is £2M. I got a £7M offer from Middlesborough once but then they cancelled the deal.

I'm trying to sell Song as well but not much luck, I'll have to keep at it.

Thanks for the advice. icon_biggrin.gif

And thats my arsenel,well most of it

http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arsenalzn2.jpg

after west ham,i created a new tactic

http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arsenal2jc0.jpg

chelsea?who the hell are they

http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arsenal23lm4.jpg

and finally.Silva's left wing hattrick

http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=adszasdfh4.jpg

Guest TomásAliaksandr

Has anyone else had the problem of players falling out with Van Persie? It's only Gallas and Lehman at the moment but I don't want it to spread. I'm planning to sell them and I'm hoping it's an age thing, but I'd like to be sure.

Also, what is the most I can sell Gallas for? Also Lehman, but it's less important.

Originally posted by TomásAliaksandr:

Has anyone else had the problem of players falling out with Van Persie? It's only Gallas and Lehman at the moment but I don't want it to spread. I'm planning to sell them and I'm hoping it's an age thing, but I'd like to be sure.

Also, what is the most I can sell Gallas for? Also Lehman, but it's less important.

Not specifically with RVP, but Gallas got sent off for a professional foul in one of my games and practically the whole squad began disliking him. I ended up selling him just to make everyone happy. I seem to remember I didnt get as much as I want for him (less than £5mil).

Guest TomásAliaksandr

Ouch. I was hoping to sell him for 20m or as close as possible so I could buy Micah Richards. I'll see what i can do.

I should add that he was previously in rotation and not performing particularly well, this was also towards the end of my second season, he also likes to reject contract offers from less reputable clubs.

So, here's my current arsenal squad, beginning of season 3, I've been very successful so far and you lot can feel free to suggest any improvements I could make. Saivet has turned out fanstastic and Aguero is easily the best purchase I've ever made. I am trying to sign Ronaldo (from Man Utd), but they look like they want silly money that I dont have. Anyway, heres my squad.

fmaug09jo4.th.jpg

I should note, this has by far been the highest amount of injury's I've had so far, and its purely down to bad luck.

I've signed Matias Fernandez for £11M.

I sold Song, Diaby and Flamini for £17M.

I've also signed Lulinha for £2.8M and I signed some unknown 14 year old French kid.

With Fred coming back from his injury I think my team is all set (getting poor performances from Eduardo and Adebayor upfront)

Surprisingly, Man Utd accepted a £40 mil (£20 mil appearance) offer and I will almost definitely have to get rid of one of my wingers. I'm torn about who to sell really, I bought Joe Cole because he was listed for only £3.5 mil in the summer, Hleb plays fantastic in big games and Fabregas would probably get upset if I let him (hleb) go. Walcott is brilliant, both for Arsenal and my England squad and Van Persie is great on the left. I tend to play Rosicky in the middle with Cesc, and they seem to work together very well. I really just cant choose. Might be worth me waiting until January I suppose, sell the worst performer then.

Right i have 50 million to spend on a starting LB and a back-up striker in august 08, who to buy?

AS i back up striker probably get Julio Baptista from real madrid, has amazing stats for a back up, and only costs from 10 - 15 mil, as for left back it matters if you like attacking left backs.

Attacking : Marcelo

Defending : Pander

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by dannyboi123456:

^^ I doubt the silva bid will be accepted as I offered 70 mil and they declined :|

you were right... they declined, but suggest two of these:

AML: Samir Nasri or Hatem Ben Arfa

MC/DM: Miguel Veloso or Javi Martinez

Both Samir Nasri and Hatem Ben Arfa can play MC.

Well as the AML i ALWAYS prefer Matias Fernandez (spelling) at villareal over those two, never got going for me, on a other file.

As the MC/DM well on my Arsenal file i have Miguel Veloso, who has been great for me, but Javi Martinez is a weird fellow as on my Spain file, he never really could get in the first team, but was good for u21

So really i would go for Matias Fernandez ( if you like him ) and Veloso

Originally posted by dannyboi123456:

Well as the AML i ALWAYS prefer Matias Fernandez (spelling) at villareal over those two, never got going for me, on a other file.

As the MC/DM well on my Arsenal file i have Miguel Veloso, who has been great for me, but Javi Martinez is a weird fellow as on my Spain file, he never really could get in the first team, but was good for u21

So really i would go for Matias Fernandez ( if you like him ) and Veloso

Well, I'll try to get Miguel Veloso, but I've bought Mati Fernandez so many times on other games, so I thinkI'll try out one of the other two. But thanks for the reply. icon_smile.gif

I love this game, really I do, much more so I think than FM07, I am having much more fun.

Recently lost my first Premier League game in 35 matches, 1-0 at home to Man Utd! But, got back on the horse so to speak and beat Spurs 4-1, so all good.

But, for 2 season almost now I have been asking for feeder clubs. The last time I asked I got a message saying that as I had been at the club for quite a while I could now choose what type of feeder club I wanted. The problem is I never get one. All I get back is a message saying 'After a meeting of the club's directors, Peter Hill-Wood has informed you that he simply sees no point in creating any links with any other clubs at this point in time.

Has anyone else had this problem, because it is really starting to grate with me now.

i've bought huntelaar, nasri and hamskil(unsure of full name, but all my scouts recommended him and he had great DM stats.)

sent bendter and denilson on loans.

i switch between 442 attacking(home and weak temas) and either 451 or 4411( away)

otherwise,ive wont all my PRM games, only defeats are to valencia(i admit i got my tactics all wrong)

and to man utd in the carling cup at home 3-2(youngsters against full team though)

only winning by the odd goal or 2-0 though.

is walcott good in the first season because injuries to my wingers and adebayor and eduardo have meant i have needed to play him but he isnt producing the goods? if not how can i get him better?

What I really hate (or love) about my (and everyone arsenal team I guess) is the simple fact that the first-teamer are all so young, which makes it difficult for the young players to break through. I have so many good youngsters who, in other team, would have broken through to the first team, to replace the aging legs. But in the arsenal team, the first-teamer are still in their early 20s at the oldest. Such a good problem to have!

Originally posted by Kawee:

What I really hate (or love) about my (and everyone arsenal team I guess) is the simple fact that the first-teamer are all so young, which makes it difficult for the young players to break through. I have so many good youngsters who, in other team, would have broken through to the first team, to replace the aging legs. But in the arsenal team, the first-teamer are still in their early 20s at the oldest. Such a good problem to have!

true words icon14.gif

the likes of Saivet, Tuia, Thiago will never break into my first team icon_frown.gif

oldest person in my first team is 30 (which i guess is ok but even then thats Almunia)

average age is only 21 icon_frown.gif take out ALmunia & Helb and it would be so young ffs icon_biggrin.gif

I've been going crazy with my Arsenal save on FM08. When I played on 07 I rarely bought a player for big money, think my only one was Richards, but he was well worth it as he went on to play a big part untill he was like 35 or something. icon_smile.gif So far I've bought a few for big money, but I intend to go back buying young and exciting prospects in coming years. So this is my team in my 2nd season:

GK: Akinfeev, Fabianski, Lehmann (complaining just like IRL about not playing. icon_biggrin.gif )

LB: Clichy, Traoré

RB: Sagna, Hoyte

DC: Touré, Gallas, Richards, Breno

MC: Fabregas, Denilson, Veloso, Rosicky, Diarra, Diaby

AMR: Hleb, Aguero

AML: Eduardo, Walcott

ST: Bendtner, Adebayor

I've got a few more that do get playing time but not regulary, such as Djorou, Vela and Lansbury. I've offloaded a few as well:

Flamini - £2.8M

Song - £3M

Gilberto - £5.25

Almunia - Free

Mannone - Free

van Persie - £10.75M (wanted to keep him, but he wanted out icon_frown.gif )

Eboué - £4.8M

No one is interested in Senderos! He is too slow for me, he has problems facig better teams. He was brilliant in FM07, but rubbish in FM08...at least for me.

I'm playing a 4-3-3 formation as I'm sure you can see while reading about the team. I can say that Eduardo is brilliant on the left side, knocks in goals and are playing very consistantly. Walcott is brilliant in some games with his pace, not many can catch the kid! But he needs to put away more goals.

I've read several that want to get rid of Justin Hoyte, but I can't understand why. He is the perfect no.2 on the RB behind Sagna. Doesn't complain much if he get a few games and is solid when he get his chance. And a little on Sagna. The guy is brilliant! He is a wonderful crosser of the ball and have assisted to quite a few goals. However he's been injured most of the 2nd season so far. As for the striking options. Bendtner is simply fantastic. He scores goals, and acts like the target man he is. He has deleivered quite a few passes for goals as well. Adebayor, a bit to inconsistent for me, when he is on tune he is brilliant scoring goals for fun, but can have long spells in bad form.

A question though. I have Vela still in my team, but I'm unsure as too where to place him. Does he work in the lone striker role, or would it be best sticking him in midfield? The front man isn't a actual target man in my team, I do use that option sometimes though but otherwise he is just a normal striker. And can anyone recommend a goalkeeper that is young and a very good prospect? The keepers coming up through the academy doesn't look up for the task, no one is looking interesting enough for the future. Obviously I do have 2 rather young keepers now in the 1st team, but still...would be nice having someone like 17-18 up and coming goalkeeper. icon_smile.gif

So far I've only won the Premiership and the Community Shield. Went out in the Carling Cup semis last season against Chelsea. Lost the finals of the FA Cup and Champions League against Newcastle (bogey team of mine!) and Real Madrid. So far top of the league, and cuised into the knockout stages of the CL. Chelsea (again) knocked us out of the CC, and I'm about to play them in the FA Cup 5th Round!.

And can anyone recommend a goalkeeper that is young and a very good prospect? The keepers coming up through the academy doesn't look up for the task, no one is looking interesting enough for the future. Obviously I do have 2 rather young keepers now in the 1st team, but still...would be nice having someone like 17-18 up and coming goalkeeper. icon_smile.gif

You can look at Oier Olazabal(Barcelona), or David(?) De Gea(Atletico Madrid)

Personal I would choose De Gea. icon14.gif

This is my team at the start of the 3rd season:

-----------Buffon----------

alves--Toure--Barzagli--Clichy

-----------De Rossi-----------

-----Fabregas©--Iniesta-------

Messi--------------------Silva

------------Aguero-----------

Subs-

Akinfeev

Robinho

Walcott

Gilberto

Denilson

I have one the league twice times, the champions League 1 time, the fa cup twice, league cup 1 time.

I have still got 30 million to spend. Any sugestions?? Ideally a left back (fast and good at crossing) and any wonder kids.

Thanks and COME ON YOU GOOOOOONERS!!!

i bought modric for 8 mill in the first season.he`s just an average player in my opinion.there`s one young winger in the reserve team called pedro.he`s now almost as good as RVP on the left wing after 3 seasons with arsenal.if you`re not in the rush to get a winger,just wait for him,he`ll be very good.also dont forget we have merida who i think is going to be a star player in few more years.

First of all i wanna say,i'm not Bristish.But i love Arsenal!

After an unbelievable run of 33 games(30 wins 3 draws) west ham beat me 1-0 at my home icon_mad.gif

i had 17/11 shots and they had 4/1 shots,oh my god,and green saved a penalty in the last minute icon_mad.gif that was a great run starting with a west ham defeat,an ending up with a west ham defeat too.Ä°'m still dominating the league though.3 draws 2 lose

I've had a 9mil bid accepted for Pique.

Deal or No Deal?

My othere centre backs are: Toure, Gallas, Garay and Djourou.

No deal. Gallas is world-class for atleast 2 seasons and after that he's still very good for atleast a season or two (till he's about 33-34). Pique is nowhere close to being as good as he was on FM07. You can do much better.

hi i just finished my first season with the gunners. won all the trophies! lost only 2 league matches drew 2.

at the start i got Pandev for 24mil. but worth for 35 goals and 13 assists.played eduardo as AMC! van persi played many places! adebayer was ok got only 12 in 10 league matches.

Sold eboue in the mid season window for 30 mil.and got ratinho for free or 1 mil sorry cant remember exactly and polish keeper szamotulski for free(one on ones 20 & reflex 20). djourou sale brought 30 mil.sold Alumina for 7M.

Got gassbaroni,vagner love,ivan klasnic, ,petri pasenen (DRC),luis perera (DRC),Ponzio(DM).leko(AM LC) FOR FREE.

Start of the second season i sold hoyte.J for 15M, sold rosicky for 48mil+15% of the next sale. sent young ones many on loans with them paying 100% wages.arsenal is doing well! going to sell adebayer. planning to get Ocha next but doesn't come for 25M even. good luck!

Archived