Advice on my 4-2-2-2

Hello,

I'm currently playing a 4-2-2-2 formation (with a 'box' of 2 DM's and 2 CM's) and while it is generally working okay for my relegation team, I have a few issues that I can't seem to iron out. I was hoping someone here would be able to spot what I've been missing.

My most right CD misplaces a lot of his passes, compared to my left CD. I play a short passing game, but he's never lacking for options with a CD close, a RB that is usually available, a DLP in front of him. I have probably one of the worst teams in the league being freshly promoted and unable to sign decent players, but this is the CD with the best passing stat I have, and the only one who tends to play so many faulty passes, so I can't figure out why he keeps giving possession away.

Anyway, some more details:

v5ls9s.png

2iu3o1z.png

15o6j3n.png

If any additional information is needed, please let me know.

First off let me preface this by saying I know nothing about tactics so the following is more observation than anything.

The first thing I noticed is you have a targetman and a deep-lying forward. Surely these two player duties beside eachother won't work. The targetman attack will move out of scoring positions to allow space for a team-mate to fill while the deep-lying forward support looks to pass to someone else in a better position to score. These two descriptions do not lead me to think they will work well together.

I am weary of using full backs/wing backs on auto. I feel that because they need to switch between all three faceats (defend, support and attack) they need to be reasonably smart players. Seeing as you have no wings this would lead me to having full backs on attack or wing backs on support.

With regards to your centreback, try using him as a limited defender. All they need to do is tackle and they play simple passes to someone close.

Have a read of what Wez has to say here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/344949-Thinking-inside-the-BOX-FM13-style.. It's what I based my 4-2-2-2 box on for my Melbourne Victory, Dortmund and Everton games and am currently doing at Eastleigh. It is a matter of suiting the duties to the players you have but also to the duties around them on the field.

I tend to fill out the roles of the strikers differently, depending on which players are in the first team. The targetman - DLF thing was something I wanted to try, but does indeed not work very well. Pushing the backs higher up by changing them to wing backs sounds like a solid idea, I'll give that a go.

Wez' thread is a very interesting read, I may implement some of his suggestions when it comes to the midfield in the future. Right now, I'd like to keep playing with two supporting midfielders, because I already have the weakest midfield in the league and don't want to be overrun.

EDIT: Another question though. How would you control the opponents' flanks when using a boxed midfield? Might be that I'm playing too narrow/deep, but my opponent in the last game trounced me 4-0 because he kept recycling possession, fed it to the flanks and just pumped it into the box. 90% of it was headed away, but for some reason all four of my midfielders, even the ones with an attack duty, crept back into my penalty area, which means my defense was just heading it back into the possession of my opponent.

Contain is more of an extreme measure for when the AI is chasing a result. And in the 4-2-2-2 the fullbacks need to be getting forward because they are providing the width in attack.

I agree with this, I would consider having one FB on (a) and the other on support. The one with the attack duty should be covered by the anchor man. I'm not an expert on this tactic, I've never used it, but I would consider that to work. Make sure you carefully pick which full back attacks though, he'll need half-decent attributes so he doesn't go missing during the match.

EDIT: Another question though. How would you control the opponents' flanks when using a boxed midfield? Might be that I'm playing too narrow/deep, but my opponent in the last game trounced me 4-0 because he kept recycling possession, fed it to the flanks and just pumped it into the box. 90% of it was headed away, but for some reason all four of my midfielders, even the ones with an attack duty, crept back into my penalty area, which means my defense was just heading it back into the possession of my opponent.

This formation naturally gives the flanks to the opp. I'd imagine that your GK and CB's need to be really dominant in the air to cope with the crosses.

An alternative tactic (which I read in another thread but can't remember where) would be to show the LM onto his right foot and the RM onto his left. Force them into the middle where you have the numbers. That way the only crosses will hopefully be from FB's which is preferable to wingers in my opinion.

I play the same formation (though your DLF is an AM for me, but it plays the same.) I have my 2 DM's as DLP - D, with their closing down lessened. Then I have the closing down jacked up on my CM's, and I have my width set higher. This makes sure the CM's get out and close down the opponents fullbacks and wingers.

I also under opposition instructions, set their fullbacks to close down - always, and their wingers to close down - always and show them to the inside foot. So the CM's and FB's close them down and show them inside, where my two DM's are waiting for them. Just allowed 5 goals in 22 games last season.

This formation naturally gives the flanks to the opp. I'd imagine that your GK and CB's need to be really dominant in the air to cope with the crosses.

An alternative tactic (which I read in another thread but can't remember where) would be to show the LM onto his right foot and the RM onto his left. Force them into the middle where you have the numbers. That way the only crosses will hopefully be from FB's which is preferable to wingers in my opinion.

I thought giving up the flanks was a given, but just needed to make sure. Now it's only a matter of keeping my entire midfield out of my penalty area when the crosses come in. My central defenders are pretty solid jumpers, so that won't be a big issue. Just played a game against Yeovil away, where we drew 0-0 after being the equal team when it came to chances. Possession seems to be an issue, although it doesn't really bother me if I still create chances and don't give away too many. I'm having quite a few ups and downs so far, but I'm hoping that this will lessen once the team properly gets the new tactic under control.

Scoring goals is still a problem, but that may be due to the substandard quality of my strikers.

EDIT: Interesting suggestions, RocheBag. I may try that, although I'm not in a position to play 2 DLP due to one of my DM's being a natural breaker with low passing, technique, first touch and creativity. His two natural positions are actually CD and CM, so the position itself is awkward for him although he's really made for it.

Well an Anchor Man has similar defensive settings I believe, without the creative responsibility. The main thing is to make sure the 2 DMs are sitting in the hole protecting the DCs, you don't want them closing down. The MCs and FBs close down, there's no reason at all you have to give up the flanks.

Hope it helps you out.

That'd mean tinkering with individual sliders though, and I generally hesitate when it comes to that.

Anyway, a further update on the state of my game. My team is finally starting to get along with the new tactic, which shows in the obtained results and league position so far. Considering I'd need about 50 points to steer clear of relegation, I just need 10 more from 19 games. So all in all, I'm fairly certain of staying in the league unless something disastrous happens.

eg5y7q.png

sfc4xy.png

Defensively, I'm doing great. I barely give away CCC's, if at all. Most of my conceded goals are from freekicks, corners or throw ins. On the other hand, I don't get to score too often either, but that's mainly down to the quality and age of my offensive squad. My strikers have an average age of 21 and my offensive midfielders are both only 19 years old.

Finished the season in 10th place. I was actually close to a playoff spot, but gave it away in the last two games. My main aim for this season is to get some more quality up front, as scoring was the biggest problem. We barely conceded goals, but were the second worst scoring team in the league. A second working point is finishing games more easily, although that can be linked to the goalscoring issue. I barely won a game with more than a goal difference.

Thanks to all of your suggestions, especially those regarding pressure from the DM's and OI's on the backs and wingers, I finally cracked it. I'm on top in my second season with five games to go. Currently eight games unbeaten, of which seven wins.

I've manually tweaked the DM's closing down to one or two ticks above 'own area', which seems to hold them in place nicely. Along that, I always force their wide players to come inside, so they have to make a pass with their weaker foot into an already crowded area. I did have some issues with most of my opportunities coming from outside the area, but by manually tweaking my CM's and forwards to shoot rarely from distance, I'm now finally where I want to be. I also set both CM's as attacking.

To be fair though, it's probably also because of some reinforcements I signed during pre-season, especially in my midfield and forward positions. They're not exceptional for the League 2, but more than solid.

EDIT: And I just won the league. With two games to go, I could finish it off at home against Morecambe. My team seemed to be suffering from stress, had three CCC's in the first half but missed them all, whilst my opponent scored twice from half chances. Had a shout at halftime, and brought a new striker and midfielder, who turned the game around. First one got a goal and an assist, second one played the pass that resulted in the 3-2 in the 94th minute. I love this game sometimes.

Thanks to all of your suggestions, especially those regarding pressure from the DM's and OI's on the backs and wingers, I finally cracked it. I'm on top in my second season with five games to go. Currently eight games unbeaten, of which seven wins.

I've manually tweaked the DM's closing down to one or two ticks above 'own area', which seems to hold them in place nicely. Along that, I always force their wide players to come inside, so they have to make a pass with their weaker foot into an already crowded area. I did have some issues with most of my opportunities coming from outside the area, but by manually tweaking my CM's and forwards to shoot rarely from distance, I'm now finally where I want to be. I also set both CM's as attacking.

To be fair though, it's probably also because of some reinforcements I signed during pre-season, especially in my midfield and forward positions. They're not exceptional for the League 2, but more than solid.

EDIT: And I just won the league. With two games to go, I could finish it off at home against Morecambe. My team seemed to be suffering from stress, had three CCC's in the first half but missed them all, whilst my opponent scored twice from half chances. Had a shout at halftime, and brought a new striker and midfielder, who turned the game around. First one got a goal and an assist, second one played the pass that resulted in the 3-2 in the 94th minute. I love this game sometimes.

It could be down to your re-enforcements, but those are the exact tweaks I made to turn it around when I was having trouble getting this tactic to work. Congrats on the success!

Archived